Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Joe call a Wop?
2. In what war do 12 million men die?
3. What does Fatt do after Joe comes forward?
4. What is Fayette's attitude about death and war?
5. What does Edna threaten to do if Joe does not change his behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Fayette's decision to fire Miller for refusing to spy on his supervisor morally right or wrong?
2. How does Odets forewarn the audience of Lefty's death?
3. Why is Dr. Barnes angry?
4. What does Agate's dialogue about the union button imply?
5. Is Miller's use of violence against Fayette an acceptable response to being fired?
6. Who speaks for the workers?
7. Is Fatt respected by the workers?
8. How are Scenes 1 and 2 related?
9. Besides going to bed hungry, how else are the children affected by Joe and Edna's financial situation?
10. How does Agate's approach to the workers compare with that of Clayton the spy's approach in Scene 5?
Several characters in the play mention Hollywood or the movies. In what ways do1930s Hollywood influence the characters and their lives? What other media is stressed as important and why?
Color or the suggestion of color is used metaphorically throughout Scene 1. Name the colors and metaphors, and discuss the advantages of using color to discuss the situation occurring in the Scene. Are there particular emotions, beliefs, or rituals associated with the colors beyond the meanings implied by the metaphors?
Hunger is a marker in the play; food and/or the lack of it comes up in at least three scenes. How do discussions about hunger and food speak to the issue of social class? What characters can you put in a class hierarchy based on dialogue about hunger and/or food? What is that hierarchy and what evidence supports your arrangement? What do you know about persistent hunger in the USA, who it affects, and what your responsibility is for ending it?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)