|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Joe and Edna's bills needs to be paid right away?
2. What does Edna fear will happen to the kids' bodies if they don't eat better?
3. What does Joe tell Edna he had for lunch when he gets home from work?
4. Who is Lefty?
5. What is Joe's plan before going to the workers meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. At what point does Miller change his mind about the new assignment?
2. What does Agate's dialogue about the union button imply?
3. Is Fayette's decision to fire Miller for refusing to spy on his supervisor morally right or wrong?
4. What are several factors that have contributed to Benjamin's removal from surgery?
5. Why is Benjamin coming to see Dr. Barnes?
6. How does Fatt try to convince the workers not to take action?
7. What does Fayette's dialogue in which he uses the words "pollacks and niggers" say about his prejudice?
8. What colors does Joe use to refute Fatt's accusations? Describe the situation of the workers.
9. How do Agate's and Fatt's picture of "reds" differ?
10. What is the mood of the workers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Odets' play has been called dated because of the language. The slang and figurative language almost demand a close reading of the play with a good dictionary at hand. How does the language aid communication and relationships in the 1930s? What does it communicate about the speakers and listeners? What if anything could have influenced the language of the working class? What if any contemporary communications are comparable to Odets' language?
Essay Topic 2
Spying is argued as both honorable and despicable in two scenes in the play. How is it that the same act can be interpreted in very different, sometimes opposite ways? In this play, what gives spying its honor? In what ways is it unacceptable to some? What does deception do to the deceiver and the deceived? What are your thoughts about the decisions that Clayton and Miller made about spying?
Essay Topic 3
Money, who has it and who does not, is at the heart of this play. What are the immediate, short term, and long-term effects of the decreasing financial situation on the lives of Joe, Edna, and their family?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)