|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do workers become committee members?
2. Who has ordered the research in Laboratory A?
3. What motivates the Gunman to move from his original position to center stage?
4. Who is the first character to speak in the play?
5. Who are the two Hollywood stars imitated by the buying public?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are there real advantages of looking at strikes in the laborer's own industry rather than work in general, as Fatt suggests?
2. What are two main themes contained in Scene 4 and how are they manifested?
3. What are some reasons that Odets puts figurative language into Agate's dialogue?
4. What does Agate's dialogue about the union button imply?
5. What does Benjamin decide to do after being fired, and what had he been thinking about doing?
6. How does Scene 6 foreshadow what will happen to Benjamin?
7. Is striking the best option for the workers or should they have explored other possible solutions?
8. What do you think Sid and Florence feel by the end of Scene 4?
9. What is Miller's response to the job change?
10. What is the point of emphasizing the closeness of Philadelphia to the workers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Color or the suggestion of color is used metaphorically throughout Scene 1. Name the colors and metaphors, and discuss the advantages of using color to discuss the situation occurring in the Scene. Are there particular emotions, beliefs, or rituals associated with the colors beyond the meanings implied by the metaphors?
Essay Topic 2
The contributions of extended family members are critical to the survival of Florence and Sid's families. How would Florence's family change had she ignored Irv's insistence that she not get married? What are your thoughts about Florence's rights to her own life?
Essay Topic 3
Joe and Edna, and Sid and Florence experience emotional and social side effects from the economic situation the workers are facing in the play. How do these side effects manifest in their personal relationships?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)