|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe initially think about strikes?
2. What does Fatt do to send the Gunman back to his original position?
3. What is one reason Joe gives for strikes sometimes failing?
4. How is Fatt described?
5. Why do the characters assemble in the first scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Scenes 1 and 2 related?
2. What does Agate's dialogue about the union button imply?
3. How does Fatt attempt to dissuade workers from disagreeing with him?
4. How does Joe feel about his responsibilities as the man of the family?
5. Are there real advantages of looking at strikes in the laborer's own industry rather than work in general, as Fatt suggests?
6. Is Miller's use of violence against Fayette an acceptable response to being fired?
7. What are some of Joe's explanations for not making enough money to support his family?
8. What are two main themes contained in Scene 4 and how are they manifested?
9. Why doesn't Edna want Joe to yell?
10. What are several factors that have contributed to Benjamin's removal from surgery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the language of Agate and Fatt similar or different when they attempt to persuade workers? Which approach is most effective? Less successful? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Odets' play has been called dated because of the language. The slang and figurative language almost demand a close reading of the play with a good dictionary at hand. How does the language aid communication and relationships in the 1930s? What does it communicate about the speakers and listeners? What if anything could have influenced the language of the working class? What if any contemporary communications are comparable to Odets' language?
Essay Topic 3
Color or the suggestion of color is used metaphorically throughout Scene 1. Name the colors and metaphors, and discuss the advantages of using color to discuss the situation occurring in the Scene. Are there particular emotions, beliefs, or rituals associated with the colors beyond the meanings implied by the metaphors?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)