|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a main character complain that the talk of Lefty has turned the meeting into?
2. Who has ordered the research in Laboratory A?
3. How is Fatt described?
4. What is Joe's plan before going to the workers meeting?
5. What does Joe bring home from the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fayette's dialogue in which he uses the words "pollacks and niggers" say about his prejudice?
2. What does Sid think about war and education?
3. What are Dr. Barnes and Benjamin talking about when they refer to the "disease" and how is Benjamin affected by it?
4. How do Agate's and Fatt's picture of "reds" differ?
5. How does Edna's opinion about striking differ from Joe's opinion and why?
6. What are some of the reasons that Fayette selects Miller for the new project?
7. How does Fatt try to convince the workers not to take action?
8. How do you think Irv feels as a result of his behavior toward Florence?
9. Why is the Voice's evidence that Clayton is a spy more credible than Clayton's denials?
10. Why does Edna threaten infidelity as a way to convince Joe to support a strike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Women, particularly mothers, play very influential roles in the lives of the characters, especially Florence and Joe. How does the behavior of Florence's mother on her deathbed compare and contrast with Edna's motherly behavior toward her children. How do both the mothers' behaviors exemplify the difficult role women played in depression era America? What were your reactions and opinions about the roles of the women upon reading the play?
Essay Topic 2
Color or the suggestion of color is used metaphorically throughout Scene 1. Name the colors and metaphors, and discuss the advantages of using color to discuss the situation occurring in the Scene. Are there particular emotions, beliefs, or rituals associated with the colors beyond the meanings implied by the metaphors?
Essay Topic 3
Odets uses two techniques to shift the reader back and forward in time in order to tell his story. What two techniques does he use and where in the story does he use them? What are the benefits of using these techniques? The downside? If you were re-writing the play, how would you rearrange the scenes?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)