|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the boss meeting with Miller?
(a) To fire him.
(b) To get dirt on other employees.
(c) To tell him about his new job.
(d) To have lunch because they are friends.
2. Who is Lefty?
(a) A left-handed worker.
(b) The best card player in the poker game.
(c) A spy for the union.
(d) Chairman of the workers committee.
3. To whom is the first character speaking?
(a) Poker friends.
(b) Concerned workers.
(c) A church fundraising group.
(d) Angry parents of little leaguers.
4. What is Joe's plan before going to the workers meeting?
(a) Talk to the old boyfriend.
(b) Meet privately with Fatt.
(c) Talk to Lefty.
(d) Eat dinner.
5. What does it mean to "take a run-out powder?"
(a) Take a quick trip somewhere.
(b) Not leave when asked.
(c) Not show up as promised.
(d) Take medicine for an upset stomach.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Joe accuse of racketeering?
2. What reasons does Joe give for not making more money?
3. What motivates the Gunman to move from his original position to center stage?
4. Who initially insists that the action of many can accomplish what one cannot?
5. How does Miller initially feel about the new job assignment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What colors does Joe use to refute Fatt's accusations? Describe the situation of the workers.
2. In Scene 1 the play foreshadows many of the characters whose stories are told. Agate gives the reader a quick look back. Who are the characters he brings attention to and what are there issues?
3. What are several factors that have contributed to Benjamin's removal from surgery?
4. Why is Benjamin coming to see Dr. Barnes?
5. Is striking the best option for the workers or should they have explored other possible solutions?
6. Why is Dr. Barnes limited by what he can do to express his outrage at the changes in medicine?
7. How does Fatt try to convince the workers not to take action?
8. Is Florence right to put the family ahead of what she wants? Why or why not?
9. What, if anything, justifies Fatt's use of a spy to avoid a strike?
10. What does Sid think about war and education?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)