|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the hair of Joe and Edna's children?
2. How is Miller treated at the beginning of the meeting?
(a) He is offered lunch.
(b) He is chastised.
(c) He is told he is under investigation.
(d) He is given compliments.
3. Why is the research in Laboratory A so important at the time of the play?
(a) It prepares the United States for future wars.
(b) It saves lives from disease.
(c) It is just regular research and not that important.
(d) It protects soldiers fighting in the current war.
4. How does Edna react to Joe's attempts at affection?
(a) Refuses to let him touch her.
(b) Gives him a back rub.
(c) Slaps his face.
(d) Welcomes his embrace.
5. How do workers become committee members?
(a) There are no committee members, just workers.
(b) They volunteer for a term.
(c) They are appointed by the union bosses.
(d) They are elected by the workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two Hollywood stars imitated by the buying public?
2. What does Edna say Joe's boss is giving the kids?
3. How does Odets foreshadow some of the main characters in the play?
4. What is the state of consumer markets?
5. Why does Joe think the workers need to strike?
Short Essay Questions
1. What language does Clayton use that is reminiscent of Fatt's earlier speech?
2. What contributes to Dr. Barnes' deep anger about rich men taking away his power to influence medical care? How does he express it?
3. What makes Scene 4 romantic?
4. Is Fayette's decision to fire Miller for refusing to spy on his supervisor morally right or wrong?
5. What is Joe and Edna's relationship like?
6. At what point does Miller change his mind about the new assignment?
7. What are the first indications that Joe and Edna are having financial problems?
8. In Scene 1 the play foreshadows many of the characters whose stories are told. Agate gives the reader a quick look back. Who are the characters he brings attention to and what are there issues?
9. What does Sid think about war and education?
10. What does Joe think of Lefty?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)