|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Andy Gump?
(a) A mentally challenged movie character.
(b) The guy who worked in Laboratory A.
(c) One of the employees who led the strike.
(d) A newspaper comic strip character.
2. What does Edna tell Joe to do to help improve the financial situation?
(a) Get a second job.
(b) Sell his car to a friend.
(c) Take action against the bosses.
(d) Borrow a loan from a family member.
3. Who are the two Hollywood stars imitated by the buying public?
(a) Crawford and Garbo.
(b) Cosby and Gibson.
(c) Gable and Garbo.
(d) Monroe and Miller.
4. Who does Joe call a Wop?
(c) The Voice.
5. Who is the president as named in this scene?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the professions of the two main characters?
2. How much do Joe and Edna pay for rent?
3. What is one thing Fatt accuses "reds" of doing?
4. In Scene 3, what changes the employee's mind about the new work assignment?
5. What does it mean to "take a run-out powder?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think Sid and Florence feel by the end of Scene 4?
2. How does Fatt attempt to dissuade workers from disagreeing with him?
3. What is the mood of the workers?
4. How does Agate's approach to the workers compare with that of Clayton the spy's approach in Scene 5?
5. How do Agate's and Fatt's picture of "reds" differ?
6. What makes Scene 4 romantic?
7. Why is Benjamin coming to see Dr. Barnes?
8. What is the point of emphasizing the closeness of Philadelphia to the workers?
9. What are the first indications that Joe and Edna are having financial problems?
10. What are some reasons that Odets puts figurative language into Agate's dialogue?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)