|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Andy Gump?
(a) A newspaper comic strip character.
(b) The guy who worked in Laboratory A.
(c) One of the employees who led the strike.
(d) A mentally challenged movie character.
2. What are the professions of the two main characters?
(a) Doctor and hospital administrator.
(b) Cab driver and union leader.
(c) Lab assistant and industrialist.
(d) Dental assistant and manager.
3. What does it mean when a character is called "yellow?"
(a) He is courageous.
(b) He is a coward.
(c) He is a cab driver.
(d) He has a sunny disposition.
4. What does Joe mean when he says, "I rode the wheels off the chariot."?
(a) His cab has a flat tire.
(b) The front wheel has fallen off his motorcycle.
(c) He rode on a bus over 100 miles.
(d) He has done a lot of driving.
5. Why is the boss meeting with Miller?
(a) To tell him about his new job.
(b) To fire him.
(c) To have lunch because they are friends.
(d) To get dirt on other employees.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the characters discuss "Mrs. Consumer" and Hollywood?
2. Who does Joe call a Wop?
3. What source is suggested as proof to backup Fatt's claims?
4. Who helps Joe overcome his fear of fighting for a living wage and make up his mind?
5. What does Edna tell Joe to do to help improve the financial situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Voice's evidence that Clayton is a spy more credible than Clayton's denials?
2. What makes Scene 4 romantic?
3. Are there real advantages of looking at strikes in the laborer's own industry rather than work in general, as Fatt suggests?
4. How does Joe explain his change in attitude about the need to strike?
5. What are Dr. Barnes and Benjamin talking about when they refer to the "disease" and how is Benjamin affected by it?
6. How does Fatt try to convince the workers not to take action?
7. What are several factors that have contributed to Benjamin's removal from surgery?
8. How has Sid's economic situation affected his self-esteem?
9. What do you think Sid and Florence feel by the end of Scene 4?
10. Besides going to bed hungry, how else are the children affected by Joe and Edna's financial situation?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)