|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sid mean by "backwash" if he and Florence married?
(a) Everything would work out okay.
(b) The families would back them up.
(c) The families would benefit from the marriage.
(d) The marriage would negatively affect the families.
2. What does the Voice say is growing on the family tree?
3. What are the three things Florence says she wants from life?
(a) Romance, love, babies.
(b) Romance, dancing, husband.
(c) Love, car, good job.
(d) A good job, husband, babies.
4. What is Clayton accused of doing?
(c) Organizing workers.
5. What does Sid's brother do to deal with the trying economic times?
(a) Joins the navy.
(b) Goes to night school.
(c) Joins the union.
(d) Robs a bank.
6. What makes Clayton notorious?
(a) He was a Gunman for Fatt.
(b) He has busted unions in several industries.
(c) His father was a famous union organizer.
(d) He has a mean streak.
7. Who does Fatt ask to stop the talkative Voice?
(b) No one. He let him talk.
(c) Committee members.
(d) His supporters in the audience.
8. How does Benjamin's unexpected job loss affect his understanding of the world?
(a) It is just another bad day for him.
(b) His understanding remains unchanged.
(c) He realizes he has a responsibility to change the world.
(d) He understands he is powerless to change the world.
9. Why might Dr. Barnes feel guilty about the situation?
(a) He knows it is not fair to Benjamin.
(b) He agrees with the board.
(c) He is prone to guilty feelings.
(d) He has been too drunk to notice.
10. What symbolic act does Benjamin perform at the end of his meeting with Dr. Barnes?
(a) A Communist salute.
(b) He removes his lab coat.
(c) A handshake.
(d) A raised clenched fist.
11. What influential character is talked about but does not appear in Scene 3 or Scene 4?
(a) A spouse.
(b) Uncle Sam.
(c) The brother.
(d) The mother.
12. Why does Benjamin choose not to leave the United States?
(a) He cannot afford to leave the country.
(b) His wife does not want to leave her family.
(c) He wants to fight for workers' rights in the United States.
(d) He cannot get a passport.
13. What are the three things Florence does for the family?
(a) Care for mother, wash, clean the house.
(b) Cook, wash clothes, iron pants.
(c) Shop, clean the bathroom, care for Irv.
(d) Care for mother, cook, iron shirts.
14. Where does Florence work?
(a) In the steel plant.
(b) Behind the counter.
(c) In a nursing home.
(d) Next to the movie theater.
15. What does Irv think of Florence?
(a) She might be pregnant.
(b) She is easy to get along with.
(c) She is an immature kid.
(d) She is mature for her age.
Short Answer Questions
1. What upsets Benjamin most about the hospital's politics?
2. What is Fatt's reaction to the Voice's accusation?
3. What metaphor for time does Clayton use to discourage a strike?
4. Why is Dr. Barnes upset at the beginning of Scene 6?
5. Who initiates the meeting between Dr. Barnes and Benjamin?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)