|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Benjamin's unexpected job loss affect his understanding of the world?
(a) He understands he is powerless to change the world.
(b) His understanding remains unchanged.
(c) It is just another bad day for him.
(d) He realizes he has a responsibility to change the world.
2. Where do Florence and Sid get the scene they act out?
(a) A high school play.
(b) The dialogue in a book.
(c) A radio program.
(d) From the movies.
3. What is Dr. Barnes' complaint about modern medicine?
(a) No one can afford the new-fangled techniques.
(b) Medicine is run by the rich instead of doctors.
(c) Doctors do not care enough about the patients.
(d) The good old medical techniques aren't used anymore.
4. How does Fatt try to quiet the Voice?
(a) Challenges his right to speak.
(b) Tells Gunman to stop him.
(c) Held up his hand.
(d) Bangs his gavel.
5. In what year does Scene 4 occur?
6. How is the girl like Miller from Scene 3?
(a) She just lost her job.
(b) She just got a raise.
(c) She works in a laboratory.
(d) She does not smoke or drink.
7. How does the hack feel about his girl?
(a) He is excited about their future together.
(b) He is stuck on her.
(c) She is a way to pass the time.
(d) He is confused about her.
8. Where is the hack taking his girl?
(a) To the movies.
(b) Out to dinner.
(c) To a ball game.
(d) To a dance.
9. What is Clayton's real family name?
10. From what location does the Voice challenge Clayton?
(a) From the stage next to Fatt.
(b) On his way out the door.
(c) From the stage next to speaker.
(d) From his chair in the audience.
11. What unflattering terms does Dr. Barnes use to describe the board?
(a) Vermin and toads.
(b) Fossils and microbes.
(c) Fossils and slops.
(d) Slops and vermin.
12. Why is Benjamin surprised by the board's discriminatory firing?
(a) He thought Barnes would protect him.
(b) Fellow Jews sit on the board.
(c) He has gotten only excellent reviews in the past.
(d) Rich Gentiles have accepted him in the past.
13. What animal does Sid compare himself to?
(a) A pig.
(b) A snake.
(c) A dog.
(d) A rat.
14. What "complications" result in Benjamin's firing?
(a) Benjamin complains to the board about closing the ward.
(b) He is Jewish.
(c) Benjamin punches a doctor.
(d) The board makes a mistake.
15. What does the hack do for a living?
(a) Makes furniture out of wood.
(b) Works as a butcher.
(c) Drives a taxi cab.
(d) Performs surgery on animals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Irv forbid Florence to do?
2. What is the mood at the end of Scene 4?
3. Why would the workers not want to listen to Clayton?
4. How does Dr. Barnes feel about the way the board treats Benjamin?
5. What are the three things Florence does for the family?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)