|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sid do while thinking about Florence before he sees her?
(a) He gets a ticket for running a red light.
(b) He runs into a beer truck.
(c) He fixes a flat tire.
(d) He stops and buys her an engagement ring.
2. Why is Benjamin surprised by the board's discriminatory firing?
(a) Rich Gentiles have accepted him in the past.
(b) Fellow Jews sit on the board.
(c) He has gotten only excellent reviews in the past.
(d) He thought Barnes would protect him.
3. What symbolic act does Benjamin perform at the end of his meeting with Dr. Barnes?
(a) A raised clenched fist.
(b) He removes his lab coat.
(c) A Communist salute.
(d) A handshake.
4. How does the hack feel about his girl?
(a) She is a way to pass the time.
(b) He is confused about her.
(c) He is excited about their future together.
(d) He is stuck on her.
5. What is Clayton's relationship to the Voice?
6. What does Irv think of Florence?
(a) She is mature for her age.
(b) She might be pregnant.
(c) She is easy to get along with.
(d) She is an immature kid.
7. Why would the workers not want to listen to Clayton?
(a) The workers are ready to go home.
(b) The workers want to hear someone else speak.
(c) He is brought before them by Fatt.
(d) He doesn't seem to know much about strikes.
8. In Scene 5, what city does Fatt want the workers to hear about?
(b) New York.
9. What is the reason Dr. Barnes gives Benjamin for closing his ward?
(a) Budget deficit.
(b) Inadequate number of patients.
(c) Loss of staff.
(d) Change in services.
10. How is the girl like Miller from Scene 3?
(a) She works in a laboratory.
(b) She just lost her job.
(c) She just got a raise.
(d) She does not smoke or drink.
11. Who does Fatt ask to stop the talkative Voice?
(a) Committee members.
(c) No one. He let him talk.
(d) His supporters in the audience.
12. What are the three things Florence says she wants from life?
(a) Romance, dancing, husband.
(b) A good job, husband, babies.
(c) Love, car, good job.
(d) Romance, love, babies.
13. What metaphor for time does Clayton use to discourage a strike?
(a) Roasting nuts.
(b) Baking bread.
(c) Unripe fruit.
(d) Basting meat.
14. How does the girl feel about the hack?
(a) She loves him.
(b) He is okay but not all that wonderful.
(c) She is always angry with him.
(d) She puts up with him because her mom likes him.
15. What does the hack do for a living?
(a) Performs surgery on animals.
(b) Drives a taxi cab.
(c) Works as a butcher.
(d) Makes furniture out of wood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sid's brother do to deal with the trying economic times?
2. Who initiates the meeting between Dr. Barnes and Benjamin?
3. What makes Clayton notorious?
4. What is the speaker's attitude toward Fatt?
5. How does the speaker approach the workers?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)