|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Benjamin upset when he first arrives at Dr. Barnes' office?
(a) He has been replaced in surgery by an incompetent doctor.
(b) Dr. Barnes stopped him from going on vacation.
(c) The board turned down his raise.
(d) He does not want to do the assigned operation.
2. In what year does Scene 4 occur?
3. What does Irv forbid Florence to do?
(a) Talk to Sid.
(b) Work late.
(c) Spend money.
(d) Get married.
4. What character is making accusations against Clayton?
(c) The Voice.
5. In Scene 5, what city does Fatt want the workers to hear about?
(b) New York.
6. What metaphor for time does Clayton use to discourage a strike?
(a) Basting meat.
(b) Roasting nuts.
(c) Baking bread.
(d) Unripe fruit.
7. At what school does Benjamin first experience discrimination?
(c) Washington University.
8. How does Dr. Barnes feel about the way the board treats Benjamin?
9. Where is the hack taking his girl?
(a) Out to dinner.
(b) To the movies.
(c) To a ball game.
(d) To a dance.
10. In Scene 5, what does Fatt suggest the workers do instead of complain?
(a) Consider the records of taxi cab strikes in other cities.
(b) Accept whatever he tells them.
(c) Go home and think about striking overnight.
(d) Read the newspapers.
11. What makes the speaker different from other workers?
(a) He participated in the Philadelphia strike.
(b) His family is from Philadelphia.
(c) He worked in Pittsburgh.
(d) He used to have Lefty's position.
12. Why does Benjamin feel that he will not be affected by the ward closing?
(a) He was recently promoted to the senior position
(b) He is too good to let go.
(c) He was promised a permanent contract.
(d) He has had seniority for a while.
13. What does Irv think of Florence?
(a) She is easy to get along with.
(b) She is mature for her age.
(c) She is an immature kid.
(d) She might be pregnant.
14. Why would the workers not want to listen to Clayton?
(a) He is brought before them by Fatt.
(b) The workers want to hear someone else speak.
(c) He doesn't seem to know much about strikes.
(d) The workers are ready to go home.
15. What is Clayton's real family name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Fatt's reaction to the Voice's accusation?
2. What upsets Benjamin most about the hospital's politics?
3. How does the hack feel about his girl?
4. What is Dr. Barnes' complaint about modern medicine?
5. What is the state of health of Florence's mother?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)