|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What metaphor for time does Clayton use to discourage a strike?
(a) Roasting nuts.
(b) Basting meat.
(c) Baking bread.
(d) Unripe fruit.
2. Why does Benjamin feel that he will not be affected by the ward closing?
(a) He is too good to let go.
(b) He has had seniority for a while.
(c) He was promised a permanent contract.
(d) He was recently promoted to the senior position
3. Why is Benjamin upset when he first arrives at Dr. Barnes' office?
(a) The board turned down his raise.
(b) Dr. Barnes stopped him from going on vacation.
(c) He does not want to do the assigned operation.
(d) He has been replaced in surgery by an incompetent doctor.
4. Who does Fatt ask to stop the talkative Voice?
(a) Committee members.
(b) His supporters in the audience.
(d) No one. He let him talk.
5. What does Sid need to satisfy Irv?
(a) A newer car.
(b) To ask Florence to marry him.
(c) More money.
(d) An education.
6. How does Benjamin's unexpected job loss affect his understanding of the world?
(a) He realizes he has a responsibility to change the world.
(b) He understands he is powerless to change the world.
(c) His understanding remains unchanged.
(d) It is just another bad day for him.
7. What does the hack do for a living?
(a) Works as a butcher.
(b) Makes furniture out of wood.
(c) Drives a taxi cab.
(d) Performs surgery on animals.
8. What are the three things Florence does for the family?
(a) Cook, wash clothes, iron pants.
(b) Shop, clean the bathroom, care for Irv.
(c) Care for mother, cook, iron shirts.
(d) Care for mother, wash, clean the house.
9. What is the financial status of the patient under discussion?
(a) She is middle class.
(b) She belongs to one of the richest families.
(c) She is a charity case.
(d) Her insurance will not pay for everything.
10. What is Clayton's reaction to the workers' rejection of him?
(a) He becomes defensive.
(b) It confuses him.
(c) He accepts the rejection.
(d) He leaves the meeting.
11. What upsets Benjamin most about the hospital's politics?
(a) Treating poor people differently.
(b) Leed's political connections.
(c) Dr. Barnes' lack of support.
(d) The way he is insulted.
12. What does Sid do while thinking about Florence before he sees her?
(a) He stops and buys her an engagement ring.
(b) He runs into a beer truck.
(c) He fixes a flat tire.
(d) He gets a ticket for running a red light.
13. How does Clayton exit the meeting?
(a) Rushes out to avoid an attack from workers.
(b) Shakes hands with workers on the way out.
(c) Walks out slowly while talking to workers.
(d) Rushes out for the next meeting.
14. In Scene 5, what city does Fatt want the workers to hear about?
(a) New York.
15. What does Sid's brother do to deal with the trying economic times?
(a) Joins the navy.
(b) Joins the union.
(c) Goes to night school.
(d) Robs a bank.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character is making accusations against Clayton?
2. How does the hack feel about his girl?
3. Where do Florence and Sid get the scene they act out?
4. How does the speaker approach the workers?
5. How is the girl like Miller from Scene 3?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)