|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sid mean by "backwash" if he and Florence married?
(a) The families would benefit from the marriage.
(b) The families would back them up.
(c) The marriage would negatively affect the families.
(d) Everything would work out okay.
2. Who does Fatt ask to stop the talkative Voice?
(a) No one. He let him talk.
(b) His supporters in the audience.
(c) Committee members.
3. Why might Dr. Barnes feel guilty about the situation?
(a) He knows it is not fair to Benjamin.
(b) He has been too drunk to notice.
(c) He agrees with the board.
(d) He is prone to guilty feelings.
4. At what school does Benjamin first experience discrimination?
(a) Washington University.
5. What influential character is talked about but does not appear in Scene 3 or Scene 4?
(a) The brother.
(b) The mother.
(c) A spouse.
(d) Uncle Sam.
6. Who are the main characters in Scene 6?
(a) Fayette and Benjamin.
(b) Dr. Barnes and Benjamin.
(c) Dr. Barnes and Miller.
(d) Dr. Barnes and Dr. Barnett.
7. Where do Florence and Sid get the scene they act out?
(a) A radio program.
(b) The dialogue in a book.
(c) A high school play.
(d) From the movies.
8. Where does Benjamin think about practicing socialized medicine?
9. In Scene 5, what city does Fatt want the workers to hear about?
(a) New York.
10. What lesson does Benjamin learn about theory versus life experience?
(a) Life experience makes theories believable.
(b) Experience and theories are not related.
(c) His opinion about the two is unchanged.
(d) Theory is nothing more than conjecture.
11. What is the speaker's attitude toward Fatt?
12. How is the girl like Miller from Scene 3?
(a) She works in a laboratory.
(b) She just got a raise.
(c) She just lost her job.
(d) She does not smoke or drink.
13. What is Fatt's reaction to the Voice's accusation?
14. What is the setting of Scene 6?
(d) Fancy office.
15. What does Irv forbid Florence to do?
(a) Talk to Sid.
(b) Get married.
(c) Work late.
(d) Spend money.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Benjamin's unexpected job loss affect his understanding of the world?
2. Why does Benjamin feel that he will not be affected by the ward closing?
3. What is one of the rewards Sam can expect for fighting in the war?
4. How does the girl feel about the hack?
5. What upsets Benjamin most about the hospital's politics?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)