|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the girl feel about the hack?
(a) He is okay but not all that wonderful.
(b) She is always angry with him.
(c) She puts up with him because her mom likes him.
(d) She loves him.
2. Where do Florence and Sid get the scene they act out?
(a) A high school play.
(b) From the movies.
(c) A radio program.
(d) The dialogue in a book.
3. What does Sid mean by "backwash" if he and Florence married?
(a) Everything would work out okay.
(b) The families would benefit from the marriage.
(c) The families would back them up.
(d) The marriage would negatively affect the families.
4. Who does Fatt ask to stop the talkative Voice?
(b) His supporters in the audience.
(c) No one. He let him talk.
(d) Committee members.
5. What is the financial status of the patient under discussion?
(a) She belongs to one of the richest families.
(b) Her insurance will not pay for everything.
(c) She is a charity case.
(d) She is middle class.
6. What does the hack do for a living?
(a) Makes furniture out of wood.
(b) Works as a butcher.
(c) Performs surgery on animals.
(d) Drives a taxi cab.
7. What animal does Sid compare himself to?
(a) A snake.
(b) A pig.
(c) A dog.
(d) A rat.
8. What upsets Benjamin most about the hospital's politics?
(a) Leed's political connections.
(b) Dr. Barnes' lack of support.
(c) Treating poor people differently.
(d) The way he is insulted.
9. At what school does Benjamin first experience discrimination?
(b) Washington University.
10. In what year does Scene 4 occur?
11. From what location does the Voice challenge Clayton?
(a) From his chair in the audience.
(b) On his way out the door.
(c) From the stage next to Fatt.
(d) From the stage next to speaker.
12. Why is the hack judged so harshly by his girl's family?
(a) He is arrogant.
(b) He has been mean to his girl in the past.
(c) He does not act like a man.
(d) He barely makes a living.
13. What makes Clayton notorious?
(a) He has busted unions in several industries.
(b) He was a Gunman for Fatt.
(c) His father was a famous union organizer.
(d) He has a mean streak.
14. How does Fatt try to quiet the Voice?
(a) Challenges his right to speak.
(b) Bangs his gavel.
(c) Held up his hand.
(d) Tells Gunman to stop him.
15. Why is Benjamin surprised by the board's discriminatory firing?
(a) He has gotten only excellent reviews in the past.
(b) Rich Gentiles have accepted him in the past.
(c) Fellow Jews sit on the board.
(d) He thought Barnes would protect him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Fatt plan to convince the workers that strikes don't work?
2. Why would the workers not want to listen to Clayton?
3. What influential character is talked about but does not appear in Scene 3 or Scene 4?
4. What is Clayton's reaction to the workers' rejection of him?
5. Why is Dr. Leeds untouchable?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)