|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What metaphor do Benjamin and Dr. Barnes use to describe Benjamin's experiences with anti-Semitism?
(a) Malignant disease.
(c) Vigorous exercise.
(d) Stormy weather.
2. Why would the workers not want to listen to Clayton?
(a) The workers want to hear someone else speak.
(b) The workers are ready to go home.
(c) He doesn't seem to know much about strikes.
(d) He is brought before them by Fatt.
3. In Scene 5, what does Fatt suggest the workers do instead of complain?
(a) Consider the records of taxi cab strikes in other cities.
(b) Accept whatever he tells them.
(c) Read the newspapers.
(d) Go home and think about striking overnight.
4. How does Benjamin's unexpected job loss affect his understanding of the world?
(a) His understanding remains unchanged.
(b) It is just another bad day for him.
(c) He understands he is powerless to change the world.
(d) He realizes he has a responsibility to change the world.
5. What influential character is talked about but does not appear in Scene 3 or Scene 4?
(a) The brother.
(b) Uncle Sam.
(c) A spouse.
(d) The mother.
6. What symbolic act does Benjamin perform at the end of his meeting with Dr. Barnes?
(a) A raised clenched fist.
(b) A Communist salute.
(c) He removes his lab coat.
(d) A handshake.
7. Where does Benjamin think about practicing socialized medicine?
8. Who are the main characters in Scene 6?
(a) Fayette and Benjamin.
(b) Dr. Barnes and Dr. Barnett.
(c) Dr. Barnes and Miller.
(d) Dr. Barnes and Benjamin.
9. What does the Voice say is growing on the family tree?
10. What is Clayton's real family name?
11. What makes Clayton notorious?
(a) His father was a famous union organizer.
(b) He has a mean streak.
(c) He was a Gunman for Fatt.
(d) He has busted unions in several industries.
12. What unflattering terms does Dr. Barnes use to describe the board?
(a) Fossils and slops.
(b) Slops and vermin.
(c) Fossils and microbes.
(d) Vermin and toads.
13. What is Clayton accused of doing?
(a) Organizing workers.
14. Why is Benjamin upset when he first arrives at Dr. Barnes' office?
(a) Dr. Barnes stopped him from going on vacation.
(b) He has been replaced in surgery by an incompetent doctor.
(c) He does not want to do the assigned operation.
(d) The board turned down his raise.
15. What is one reason Sid says that it is so trying to be a man?
(a) Women are too demanding.
(b) The bosses with money keep the working class down.
(c) Men at work challenge his manhood.
(d) His family wants him to remain a kid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Dr. Barnes upset at the beginning of Scene 6?
2. What animal does Sid compare himself to?
3. What is Clayton's relationship to the Voice?
4. What does Irv forbid Florence to do?
5. What lesson does Benjamin learn about theory versus life experience?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)