|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes the speaker different from other workers?
(a) He used to have Lefty's position.
(b) His family is from Philadelphia.
(c) He worked in Pittsburgh.
(d) He participated in the Philadelphia strike.
2. What are the three things Florence does for the family?
(a) Cook, wash clothes, iron pants.
(b) Shop, clean the bathroom, care for Irv.
(c) Care for mother, wash, clean the house.
(d) Care for mother, cook, iron shirts.
3. Where does Benjamin think about practicing socialized medicine?
4. What does Sid's brother do to deal with the trying economic times?
(a) Robs a bank.
(b) Joins the union.
(c) Joins the navy.
(d) Goes to night school.
5. Why is the hack judged so harshly by his girl's family?
(a) He is arrogant.
(b) He barely makes a living.
(c) He has been mean to his girl in the past.
(d) He does not act like a man.
6. How is the girl like Miller from Scene 3?
(a) She works in a laboratory.
(b) She just lost her job.
(c) She just got a raise.
(d) She does not smoke or drink.
7. How is the speaker introduced?
(a) As Tim Wallace.
(b) As Mike Carter.
(c) As Tom Clayton.
(d) As Pete Clancy.
8. Why does Benjamin feel that he will not be affected by the ward closing?
(a) He was promised a permanent contract.
(b) He has had seniority for a while.
(c) He is too good to let go.
(d) He was recently promoted to the senior position
9. What makes Clayton notorious?
(a) He has busted unions in several industries.
(b) He was a Gunman for Fatt.
(c) His father was a famous union organizer.
(d) He has a mean streak.
10. How does Fatt plan to convince the workers that strikes don't work?
(a) Give a persuasive speech.
(b) Pass out copies of the Philadelphia report.
(c) Present experience as evidence.
(d) Read them the latest edition of the newspaper.
11. Why does Benjamin choose not to leave the United States?
(a) His wife does not want to leave her family.
(b) He wants to fight for workers' rights in the United States.
(c) He cannot get a passport.
(d) He cannot afford to leave the country.
12. Who is the first person to speak in Scene 5?
(d) A Voice.
13. What is Dr. Barnes' complaint about modern medicine?
(a) Doctors do not care enough about the patients.
(b) The good old medical techniques aren't used anymore.
(c) No one can afford the new-fangled techniques.
(d) Medicine is run by the rich instead of doctors.
14. What is the state of health of Florence's mother?
(a) She is sick in bed.
(b) She is a healthy busybody.
(c) She is a hypochondriac.
15. What is Clayton accused of doing?
(b) Organizing workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Scene 5, what city does Fatt want the workers to hear about?
2. What influential character is talked about but does not appear in Scene 3 or Scene 4?
3. In what year does Scene 4 occur?
4. What are the three things Florence says she wants from life?
5. Why is Benjamin surprised by the board's discriminatory firing?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)