|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one reason Sid says that it is so trying to be a man?
(a) Women are too demanding.
(b) The bosses with money keep the working class down.
(c) His family wants him to remain a kid.
(d) Men at work challenge his manhood.
2. Why is Benjamin upset when he first arrives at Dr. Barnes' office?
(a) The board turned down his raise.
(b) He has been replaced in surgery by an incompetent doctor.
(c) He does not want to do the assigned operation.
(d) Dr. Barnes stopped him from going on vacation.
3. What factors limit Dr. Barnes' employment options?
(a) Age and ethnicity.
(b) His age and invalid daughter.
(c) Indebtedness and medical competence.
(d) Work ethic and alcoholism.
4. How is the girl like Miller from Scene 3?
(a) She just got a raise.
(b) She just lost her job.
(c) She works in a laboratory.
(d) She does not smoke or drink.
5. What makes the speaker different from other workers?
(a) He participated in the Philadelphia strike.
(b) He used to have Lefty's position.
(c) He worked in Pittsburgh.
(d) His family is from Philadelphia.
6. What lesson does Benjamin learn about theory versus life experience?
(a) Experience and theories are not related.
(b) Theory is nothing more than conjecture.
(c) Life experience makes theories believable.
(d) His opinion about the two is unchanged.
7. What does Sid do while thinking about Florence before he sees her?
(a) He stops and buys her an engagement ring.
(b) He gets a ticket for running a red light.
(c) He fixes a flat tire.
(d) He runs into a beer truck.
8. What are the three things Florence does for the family?
(a) Cook, wash clothes, iron pants.
(b) Care for mother, wash, clean the house.
(c) Care for mother, cook, iron shirts.
(d) Shop, clean the bathroom, care for Irv.
9. What does Irv think of Florence?
(a) She might be pregnant.
(b) She is easy to get along with.
(c) She is an immature kid.
(d) She is mature for her age.
10. What is the mood at the end of Scene 4?
11. Who are the hack and his girl?
(a) Joe and Edna.
(b) Irv and Florence.
(c) Irv and Edna.
(d) Sid and Florence.
12. In Scene 5, what does Fatt suggest the workers do instead of complain?
(a) Accept whatever he tells them.
(b) Consider the records of taxi cab strikes in other cities.
(c) Read the newspapers.
(d) Go home and think about striking overnight.
13. How does Benjamin's unexpected job loss affect his understanding of the world?
(a) It is just another bad day for him.
(b) He realizes he has a responsibility to change the world.
(c) His understanding remains unchanged.
(d) He understands he is powerless to change the world.
14. What symbolic act does Benjamin perform at the end of his meeting with Dr. Barnes?
(a) He removes his lab coat.
(b) A handshake.
(c) A Communist salute.
(d) A raised clenched fist.
15. Where do Florence and Sid get the scene they act out?
(a) A radio program.
(b) A high school play.
(c) The dialogue in a book.
(d) From the movies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the speaker's attitude toward Fatt?
2. From what location does the Voice challenge Clayton?
3. What is the reason Dr. Barnes gives Benjamin for closing his ward?
4. Who does Fatt ask to stop the talkative Voice?
5. What influential character is talked about but does not appear in Scene 3 or Scene 4?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)