|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lesson does Benjamin learn about theory versus life experience?
(a) His opinion about the two is unchanged.
(b) Life experience makes theories believable.
(c) Experience and theories are not related.
(d) Theory is nothing more than conjecture.
2. How does Clayton exit the meeting?
(a) Walks out slowly while talking to workers.
(b) Rushes out for the next meeting.
(c) Shakes hands with workers on the way out.
(d) Rushes out to avoid an attack from workers.
3. What character is making accusations against Clayton?
(c) The Voice.
4. What is Clayton's reaction to the workers' rejection of him?
(a) He leaves the meeting.
(b) It confuses him.
(c) He accepts the rejection.
(d) He becomes defensive.
5. Why is Dr. Barnes upset at the beginning of Scene 6?
(a) His best worker just quit.
(b) He didn't have his morning drink.
(c) He was outvoted by the board.
(d) He lost money in a poker game the night before.
6. Where do Florence and Sid get the scene they act out?
(a) From the movies.
(b) A radio program.
(c) A high school play.
(d) The dialogue in a book.
7. Why is Benjamin upset when he first arrives at Dr. Barnes' office?
(a) He does not want to do the assigned operation.
(b) He has been replaced in surgery by an incompetent doctor.
(c) The board turned down his raise.
(d) Dr. Barnes stopped him from going on vacation.
8. What animal does Sid compare himself to?
(a) A dog.
(b) A snake.
(c) A rat.
(d) A pig.
9. How does Benjamin's unexpected job loss affect his understanding of the world?
(a) It is just another bad day for him.
(b) He realizes he has a responsibility to change the world.
(c) His understanding remains unchanged.
(d) He understands he is powerless to change the world.
10. Who initiates the meeting between Dr. Barnes and Benjamin?
(a) Dr. Barnes.
11. How is the speaker introduced?
(a) As Tom Clayton.
(b) As Tim Wallace.
(c) As Pete Clancy.
(d) As Mike Carter.
12. What is Dr. Barnes' complaint about modern medicine?
(a) Medicine is run by the rich instead of doctors.
(b) Doctors do not care enough about the patients.
(c) The good old medical techniques aren't used anymore.
(d) No one can afford the new-fangled techniques.
13. Why is Benjamin surprised by the board's discriminatory firing?
(a) Rich Gentiles have accepted him in the past.
(b) He thought Barnes would protect him.
(c) Fellow Jews sit on the board.
(d) He has gotten only excellent reviews in the past.
14. How does the hack feel about his girl?
(a) He is confused about her.
(b) She is a way to pass the time.
(c) He is stuck on her.
(d) He is excited about their future together.
15. How does Fatt plan to convince the workers that strikes don't work?
(a) Present experience as evidence.
(b) Give a persuasive speech.
(c) Pass out copies of the Philadelphia report.
(d) Read them the latest edition of the newspaper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What factors limit Dr. Barnes' employment options?
2. Who are the main characters in Scene 6?
3. What does Sid's brother do to deal with the trying economic times?
4. What do Fatt's men do to the Voice?
5. In Scene 5, what city does Fatt want the workers to hear about?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)