|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the role of the character chewing on a toothpick?
(a) To bring food.
(b) To keep score for the game.
(c) To maintain order.
(d) To get the minutes approved.
2. What is the last action in Scene 3?
(a) Miller finally agrees to spy on his supervisor.
(b) Miller punches Fayette in the nose.
(c) Miller storms out of the office.
(d) Fayette throws Miller out of the office.
3. Who is the president as named in this scene?
4. What two unions have failed at past strikes?
(a) Dock and auto workers.
(b) Textile and steel.
(c) Teamsters and canners.
(d) Textile and taxi drivers.
5. Who are the two main characters in Scene 3?
(a) Miller and Fayette.
(b) Miller and Fatt.
(c) Siegfried and Miller.
(d) Fayette and Siegfried.
6. Which of Joe and Edna's bills needs to be paid right away?
(a) The heat bill.
(b) Furniture installment.
(d) The light bill.
7. In Scene 3, what changes the employee's mind about the new work assignment?
(a) Writing weekly reports on his research.
(b) He doesn't think he can make a difference.
(c) Making chemical weapons.
(d) The boss asks him to spy on his supervisor.
8. How does Odets foreshadow some of the main characters in the play?
(a) Has them all speak in Scene 1.
(b) Reveals each one slowly as the "voice."
(c) Makes them members of the workers' committee.
(d) Blacklists them for expulsion from the union.
9. What does Edna tell Joe to do to help improve the financial situation?
(a) Get a second job.
(b) Borrow a loan from a family member.
(c) Sell his car to a friend.
(d) Take action against the bosses.
10. In Scene 2, what does Joe find when he arrives home from work at the end of the day?
(a) A new couch and chair.
(b) A living room without furniture.
(c) The police waiting to arrest him.
(d) An old friend who had come to visit.
11. What does a main character complain that the talk of Lefty has turned the meeting into?
(a) A brawl.
(b) A pep rally.
(c) A circus.
(d) A church mass.
12. Why is the boss meeting with Miller?
(a) To tell him about his new job.
(b) To fire him.
(c) To get dirt on other employees.
(d) To have lunch because they are friends.
13. What does Edna threaten to do if Joe does not change his behavior?
(a) Get a job at a diner.
(b) Run away with an old boyfriend.
(c) Buy herself a fancy new dress.
(d) Move in with her best friend.
14. What do the workers demand from the union leader?
(a) To let each person speak.
(b) To wait for Lefty.
(c) To hear from the committee.
(d) To say a prayer before starting.
15. What source is suggested as proof to backup Fatt's claims?
(a) Sports Illustrated.
(b) The newspapers.
(c) Union mazagine.
(d) The radio.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reasons does Joe give for not making more money?
2. Who is the "top man" behind workers?
3. How does Joe feel about being the man of the house?
4. Who is the first character to speak in the play?
5. Who is Andy Gump?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)