|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reasons does Joe give for not making more money?
(a) Conditions and no work.
(b) Recent illness and bad weather.
(c) Conditions and competition.
(d) Competition and bad weather.
2. What are the professions of the two main characters?
(a) Dental assistant and manager.
(b) Doctor and hospital administrator.
(c) Cab driver and union leader.
(d) Lab assistant and industrialist.
3. What does Fatt do after Joe comes forward?
(a) Sits at the end of the table.
(b) Sits and relights his cigar.
(c) Turns his back to Joe.
(d) Stands and crosses his arms.
4. What color is the hair of Joe and Edna's children?
5. What does Joe initially think about strikes?
(a) He's not sure.
(b) Strikes work.
(c) Strikes do not work.
(d) People lose their jobs.
6. What does Edna tell Joe to do to help improve the financial situation?
(a) Get a second job.
(b) Take action against the bosses.
(c) Sell his car to a friend.
(d) Borrow a loan from a family member.
7. How do workers become committee members?
(a) They are elected by the workers.
(b) There are no committee members, just workers.
(c) They volunteer for a term.
(d) They are appointed by the union bosses.
8. What is the relationship of the main characters in Scene 3?
(a) Father and son.
(b) Brother and sister.
(c) Waiter and customer.
(d) Employer and employee.
9. Who does Joe call a Wop?
(c) The Voice.
10. What does Edna fear will happen to the kids' bodies if they don't eat better?
(a) Crooked spines and swollen legs.
(b) Sick bones and crooked spines.
(c) Underweight and weak bones.
(d) Colds and club feet.
11. Why is the research in Laboratory A so important at the time of the play?
(a) It is just regular research and not that important.
(b) It protects soldiers fighting in the current war.
(c) It saves lives from disease.
(d) It prepares the United States for future wars.
12. What does a main character complain that the talk of Lefty has turned the meeting into?
(a) A church mass.
(b) A brawl.
(c) A circus.
(d) A pep rally.
13. Who is Lefty?
(a) The best card player in the poker game.
(b) Chairman of the workers committee.
(c) A left-handed worker.
(d) A spy for the union.
14. What is one thing Fatt accuses "reds" of doing?
(a) Turning women into prostitutes.
(b) Supporting bosses against workers.
(c) Spying on workers.
(d) Turning women into Christians.
15. What source is suggested as proof to backup Fatt's claims?
(a) The newspapers.
(b) Union mazagine.
(c) Sports Illustrated.
(d) The radio.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does it mean to "take a run-out powder?"
2. What does Edna imply that her current financial situation is causing to happen to her?
3. What does Joe call Edna after she says that he is "crawling like a worm?"
4. What proof does Joe offer to contest Fatt's suggestion that workers had hot suppers to go home to?
5. How is Miller treated at the beginning of the meeting?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)