|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the hair of Joe and Edna's children?
2. What does it mean to "take a run-out powder?"
(a) Not show up as promised.
(b) Take a quick trip somewhere.
(c) Not leave when asked.
(d) Take medicine for an upset stomach.
3. How does Edna react to Joe's attempts at affection?
(a) Slaps his face.
(b) Refuses to let him touch her.
(c) Gives him a back rub.
(d) Welcomes his embrace.
4. What does Edna threaten to do if Joe does not change his behavior?
(a) Move in with her best friend.
(b) Run away with an old boyfriend.
(c) Get a job at a diner.
(d) Buy herself a fancy new dress.
5. What makes Miller especially vulnerable to exploitation?
(a) He does not write well.
(b) He is too agreeable.
(c) He is a foreigner.
(d) He earned his degree in a foreign country.
6. What is one thing Fatt accuses "reds" of doing?
(a) Turning women into prostitutes.
(b) Supporting bosses against workers.
(c) Spying on workers.
(d) Turning women into Christians.
7. Why do the characters assemble in the first scene?
(a) To talk about a strike.
(b) To eat dinner at a restaurant.
(c) To listen to sports on radio.
(d) To play a game of cards.
8. What does a main character complain that the talk of Lefty has turned the meeting into?
(a) A brawl.
(b) A pep rally.
(c) A church mass.
(d) A circus.
9. What does it mean when a character is called "yellow?"
(a) He is a cab driver.
(b) He is courageous.
(c) He has a sunny disposition.
(d) He is a coward.
10. What is Joe paying his dues to?
(a) A Masonic order.
(b) A union.
(c) The Rotary Club.
(d) The country club.
11. How does Odets foreshadow some of the main characters in the play?
(a) Makes them members of the workers' committee.
(b) Has them all speak in Scene 1.
(c) Reveals each one slowly as the "voice."
(d) Blacklists them for expulsion from the union.
12. How much do Joe and Edna pay for rent?
(a) Five dollars a day.
(b) Six dollars a week.
(c) Fifteen dollars a month.
(d) Ten dollars a week.
13. How does Joe feel about being the man of the house?
(a) He likes making the important decisions.
(b) He does not believe women can think for themselves.
(c) He wishes he could be a kid again.
(d) That's just the way it is.
14. What does Joe mean when he says, "I rode the wheels off the chariot."?
(a) He has done a lot of driving.
(b) His cab has a flat tire.
(c) The front wheel has fallen off his motorcycle.
(d) He rode on a bus over 100 miles.
15. What does Joe and Edna's daughter Emmy need before going to school the next day?
(a) To finish her homework.
(b) To eat a good breakfast.
(c) A note for the teacher.
(d) Her shoes repaired.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Joe's plan before going to the workers meeting?
2. In Scene 2, what does Joe find when he arrives home from work at the end of the day?
3. Who is Andy Gump?
4. What reasons does Joe give for not making more money?
5. What does Fatt do after Joe comes forward?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)