|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the boss meeting with Miller?
(a) To have lunch because they are friends.
(b) To get dirt on other employees.
(c) To fire him.
(d) To tell him about his new job.
2. What reasons does Joe give for not making more money?
(a) Conditions and competition.
(b) Conditions and no work.
(c) Recent illness and bad weather.
(d) Competition and bad weather.
3. What does Edna threaten to do if Joe does not change his behavior?
(a) Run away with an old boyfriend.
(b) Move in with her best friend.
(c) Get a job at a diner.
(d) Buy herself a fancy new dress.
4. What is the last action in Scene 3?
(a) Miller punches Fayette in the nose.
(b) Miller finally agrees to spy on his supervisor.
(c) Fayette throws Miller out of the office.
(d) Miller storms out of the office.
5. In Scene 2, what does Joe find when he arrives home from work at the end of the day?
(a) An old friend who had come to visit.
(b) A living room without furniture.
(c) The police waiting to arrest him.
(d) A new couch and chair.
6. Who has ordered the research in Laboratory A?
(a) Private industry.
(b) A local research hospital.
(c) A philantropy organization.
(d) Uncle Sam.
7. What is Joe's plan before going to the workers meeting?
(a) Meet privately with Fatt.
(b) Talk to Lefty.
(c) Talk to the old boyfriend.
(d) Eat dinner.
8. What does Joe mean when he says, "I rode the wheels off the chariot."?
(a) The front wheel has fallen off his motorcycle.
(b) He has done a lot of driving.
(c) His cab has a flat tire.
(d) He rode on a bus over 100 miles.
9. How do workers become committee members?
(a) They are elected by the workers.
(b) They are appointed by the union bosses.
(c) They volunteer for a term.
(d) There are no committee members, just workers.
10. What is the relationship between Joe and Edna?
(a) Brother and sister.
(b) Boyfriend and girlfriend.
(c) Husband and wife.
(d) Father and daughter.
11. Why is a character called a "red?"
(a) He wears a red tie to the meeting.
(b) He disagrees with the union representative.
(c) His face is red with anger.
(d) He disagrees with the union workers.
12. Who is the first character to speak in the play?
13. What is Joe paying his dues to?
(a) The country club.
(b) A union.
(c) The Rotary Club.
(d) A Masonic order.
14. What does Joe mean when he refers to "black and blue boys?"
(a) Veterans of the war.
(b) Newspaper boys.
(c) Workers mistreated by their employers.
(d) Members of a certain sports team.
15. Who are the two Hollywood stars imitated by the buying public?
(a) Monroe and Miller.
(b) Gable and Garbo.
(c) Crawford and Garbo.
(d) Cosby and Gibson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Edna want Joe to wake the children?
2. What quality in employees does the company reward?
3. How is Miller treated at the beginning of the meeting?
4. What does Joe and Edna's daughter Emmy need before going to school the next day?
5. What do the workers demand from the union leader?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)