|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the role of the character chewing on a toothpick?
(a) To maintain order.
(b) To get the minutes approved.
(c) To keep score for the game.
(d) To bring food.
2. How does Edna react to Joe's attempts at affection?
(a) Welcomes his embrace.
(b) Gives him a back rub.
(c) Refuses to let him touch her.
(d) Slaps his face.
3. Who is the smoker and drinker in Scene 3?
4. What is one reason Joe gives for strikes sometimes failing?
(a) Strikers usually accept that a strike isn't needed.
(b) Slackers don't work hard enough to win.
(c) Strikes fail because they are dishonorable.
(d) One person can't win against the union.
5. What motivates the Gunman to move from his original position to center stage?
(a) Someone gets into a shoving match with Fatt.
(b) A character moves to the front to speak.
(c) He is told to quiet the crowd.
(d) He is checking the agenda located on the table.
6. How much of a raise is Miller initially offered?
(a) Twenty dollars a month.
(b) Five dollars a month.
(c) Twelve dollars a year.
(d) Two dollars a day.
7. How does Joe react to Edna's threats and accusations?
(b) He is too cool to react.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) With anger.
8. How does Joe feel about being the man of the house?
(a) He does not believe women can think for themselves.
(b) That's just the way it is.
(c) He likes making the important decisions.
(d) He wishes he could be a kid again.
9. What does Edna fear will happen to the kids' bodies if they don't eat better?
(a) Sick bones and crooked spines.
(b) Colds and club feet.
(c) Underweight and weak bones.
(d) Crooked spines and swollen legs.
10. What does a main character complain that the talk of Lefty has turned the meeting into?
(a) A pep rally.
(b) A church mass.
(c) A brawl.
(d) A circus.
11. Why doesn't Edna want Joe to wake the children?
(a) Because the children will realize they haven't eaten supper.
(b) They might disturb the game on the radio.
(c) They are going out for the evening.
(d) They want some private time to themselves.
12. What does Edna think about strikes?
(a) She's not sure.
(b) Strikes are too risky.
(c) Strikes do not work.
(d) Strikes can work.
13. What does Joe and Edna's daughter Emmy need before going to school the next day?
(a) Her shoes repaired.
(b) To finish her homework.
(c) To eat a good breakfast.
(d) A note for the teacher.
14. Why do the characters assemble in the first scene?
(a) To listen to sports on radio.
(b) To eat dinner at a restaurant.
(c) To talk about a strike.
(d) To play a game of cards.
15. What does Joe initially think about strikes?
(a) People lose their jobs.
(b) Strikes do not work.
(c) He's not sure.
(d) Strikes work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe call Edna after she says that he is "crawling like a worm?"
2. What does Joe bring home from the war?
3. What does Edna say Joe's boss is giving the kids?
4. Why does Joe think the workers need to strike?
5. What does Edna threaten to do if Joe does not change his behavior?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)