|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What motivates the Gunman to move from his original position to center stage?
(a) He is told to quiet the crowd.
(b) He is checking the agenda located on the table.
(c) A character moves to the front to speak.
(d) Someone gets into a shoving match with Fatt.
2. What does Edna threaten to do if Joe does not change his behavior?
(a) Run away with an old boyfriend.
(b) Move in with her best friend.
(c) Get a job at a diner.
(d) Buy herself a fancy new dress.
3. What does Joe mean when he refers to "black and blue boys?"
(a) Newspaper boys.
(b) Workers mistreated by their employers.
(c) Members of a certain sports team.
(d) Veterans of the war.
4. Which character is accused of taking a "run-out powder?"
5. What is Fayette's attitude about death and war?
(a) Families should be paid when soldiers die in war.
(b) War serves no useful purpose and life is wasted.
(c) Death is a good way to become a hero.
(d) Fayette believes death in war is honorable.
6. In Scene 3, what changes the employee's mind about the new work assignment?
(a) Writing weekly reports on his research.
(b) He doesn't think he can make a difference.
(c) The boss asks him to spy on his supervisor.
(d) Making chemical weapons.
7. Why is a character called a "red?"
(a) He disagrees with the union representative.
(b) He wears a red tie to the meeting.
(c) His face is red with anger.
(d) He disagrees with the union workers.
8. How does Odets foreshadow some of the main characters in the play?
(a) Reveals each one slowly as the "voice."
(b) Has them all speak in Scene 1.
(c) Makes them members of the workers' committee.
(d) Blacklists them for expulsion from the union.
9. What is the role of the character chewing on a toothpick?
(a) To keep score for the game.
(b) To bring food.
(c) To maintain order.
(d) To get the minutes approved.
10. How does Miller initially feel about the new job assignment?
(c) Very happy.
11. To whom is the first character speaking?
(a) Angry parents of little leaguers.
(b) Poker friends.
(c) A church fundraising group.
(d) Concerned workers.
12. What does Edna mean when she says, "Everything was gonna be so ducky!"?
(a) She would serve duck for dinner.
(b) She and Joe might have some rough times.
(c) The movie was expected to get an A+ review.
(d) She and Joe would have a good life.
13. How is Fatt described?
(a) A fat man with puffy cheeks.
(b) A round guy with piggy appearance.
(c) A fat man of porcine appearance.
(d) A red-faced porker.
14. What is the relationship between Joe and Edna?
(a) Brother and sister.
(b) Boyfriend and girlfriend.
(c) Father and daughter.
(d) Husband and wife.
15. What does Joe and Edna's daughter Emmy need before going to school the next day?
(a) Her shoes repaired.
(b) To finish her homework.
(c) To eat a good breakfast.
(d) A note for the teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the "top man" behind workers?
2. What color is the hair of Joe and Edna's children?
3. What do the workers demand from the union leader?
4. What does Fatt do to send the Gunman back to his original position?
5. Why doesn't Edna want Joe to wake the children?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)