|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe do to quiet the men?
(a) Tells them to be quiet.
(b) Raises his hand.
(c) He is unable to quiet them.
(d) Raises a clenched fist.
2. What two unions have failed at past strikes?
(a) Teamsters and canners.
(b) Dock and auto workers.
(c) Textile and taxi drivers.
(d) Textile and steel.
3. How does Odets foreshadow some of the main characters in the play?
(a) Reveals each one slowly as the "voice."
(b) Makes them members of the workers' committee.
(c) Has them all speak in Scene 1.
(d) Blacklists them for expulsion from the union.
4. What is Joe's plan before going to the workers meeting?
(a) Talk to Lefty.
(b) Meet privately with Fatt.
(c) Talk to the old boyfriend.
(d) Eat dinner.
5. What source is suggested as proof to backup Fatt's claims?
(a) Sports Illustrated.
(b) Union mazagine.
(c) The radio.
(d) The newspapers.
6. What does Joe mean when he refers to "black and blue boys?"
(a) Workers mistreated by their employers.
(b) Members of a certain sports team.
(c) Newspaper boys.
(d) Veterans of the war.
7. What are the professions of the two main characters?
(a) Doctor and hospital administrator.
(b) Lab assistant and industrialist.
(c) Dental assistant and manager.
(d) Cab driver and union leader.
8. What foods does Edna identify as being very important for maintaining the kids' health?
(a) Lemonade and grapefruits.
(b) Orange juice and grapefruits.
(c) Apples and oranges.
(d) Peaches and apple juice.
9. What is being developed in Laboratory A?
(a) The atomic bomb.
(b) Poison gas.
(c) A newly designed gas mask.
(d) A cure for tuberculosis.
10. Why is a character called a "red?"
(a) He disagrees with the union representative.
(b) He wears a red tie to the meeting.
(c) He disagrees with the union workers.
(d) His face is red with anger.
11. How do workers become committee members?
(a) They are elected by the workers.
(b) They are appointed by the union bosses.
(c) There are no committee members, just workers.
(d) They volunteer for a term.
12. How is Fatt described?
(a) A red-faced porker.
(b) A fat man with puffy cheeks.
(c) A round guy with piggy appearance.
(d) A fat man of porcine appearance.
13. What makes Miller especially vulnerable to exploitation?
(a) He is a foreigner.
(b) He is too agreeable.
(c) He earned his degree in a foreign country.
(d) He does not write well.
14. In what war do 12 million men die?
(a) World War II.
(b) The Vietnam Conflict.
(c) World War I.
(d) The Iraqi War.
15. Why doesn't Edna want Joe to wake the children?
(a) They want some private time to themselves.
(b) They might disturb the game on the radio.
(c) Because the children will realize they haven't eaten supper.
(d) They are going out for the evening.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one thing Fatt accuses "reds" of doing?
2. What color is the hair of Joe and Edna's children?
3. How much do Joe and Edna pay for rent?
4. What does Edna think about strikes?
5. How much of a raise is Miller initially offered?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)