|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Fatt described?
(a) A fat man with puffy cheeks.
(b) A red-faced porker.
(c) A round guy with piggy appearance.
(d) A fat man of porcine appearance.
2. What is one reason Joe gives for strikes sometimes failing?
(a) One person can't win against the union.
(b) Strikes fail because they are dishonorable.
(c) Strikers usually accept that a strike isn't needed.
(d) Slackers don't work hard enough to win.
3. Who initially insists that the action of many can accomplish what one cannot?
(c) Dr. Barnes.
4. What does Fatt do after Joe comes forward?
(a) Stands and crosses his arms.
(b) Sits at the end of the table.
(c) Turns his back to Joe.
(d) Sits and relights his cigar.
5. Who is Lefty?
(a) Chairman of the workers committee.
(b) A spy for the union.
(c) The best card player in the poker game.
(d) A left-handed worker.
6. How much do Joe and Edna pay for rent?
(a) Five dollars a day.
(b) Ten dollars a week.
(c) Six dollars a week.
(d) Fifteen dollars a month.
7. Who is the president as named in this scene?
8. How does Miller initially feel about the new job assignment?
(b) Very happy.
9. How does Odets foreshadow some of the main characters in the play?
(a) Has them all speak in Scene 1.
(b) Blacklists them for expulsion from the union.
(c) Reveals each one slowly as the "voice."
(d) Makes them members of the workers' committee.
10. How much of a raise is Miller initially offered?
(a) Twenty dollars a month.
(b) Five dollars a month.
(c) Twelve dollars a year.
(d) Two dollars a day.
11. Who does Joe accuse of racketeering?
12. How does Edna react to Joe's attempts at affection?
(a) Welcomes his embrace.
(b) Slaps his face.
(c) Refuses to let him touch her.
(d) Gives him a back rub.
13. What is the relationship of the main characters in Scene 3?
(a) Employer and employee.
(b) Father and son.
(c) Brother and sister.
(d) Waiter and customer.
14. What does Edna say Joe's boss is giving the kids?
(a) A new pair of shoes.
(d) Stress and anxiety.
15. What does Edna think she is turning into?
(a) A nag.
(b) A workaholic.
(c) A dingbat.
(d) An overweight wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edna fear will happen to the kids' bodies if they don't eat better?
2. What is the last action in Scene 3?
3. In Scene 2, what does Joe find when he arrives home from work at the end of the day?
4. What does Edna tell Joe to do to help improve the financial situation?
5. What is the setting of Scene 3?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)