|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does it mean to "take a run-out powder?"
(a) Not show up as promised.
(b) Not leave when asked.
(c) Take a quick trip somewhere.
(d) Take medicine for an upset stomach.
2. How does Odets foreshadow some of the main characters in the play?
(a) Makes them members of the workers' committee.
(b) Blacklists them for expulsion from the union.
(c) Reveals each one slowly as the "voice."
(d) Has them all speak in Scene 1.
3. Who is Lefty?
(a) A spy for the union.
(b) Chairman of the workers committee.
(c) A left-handed worker.
(d) The best card player in the poker game.
4. What two unions have failed at past strikes?
(a) Dock and auto workers.
(b) Textile and taxi drivers.
(c) Teamsters and canners.
(d) Textile and steel.
5. Why does Joe think the workers need to strike?
(a) He doesn't. He believes striking is for losers.
(b) Because it makes the bosses look bad.
(c) The workers are supporting the company rather than the family.
(d) So the workers can have extra money for vacations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is a character called a "red?"
2. Who does Joe call a Wop?
3. Who is the "top man" behind workers?
4. What does it mean when a character is called "yellow?"
5. How is Fatt described?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)