|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act II, Estragon and Vladimir talk aimlessly for awhile and have a hard time keeping up the conversation. Vladimir begs Estragon to speak. Finally, Estragon asks what they should do now, and Vladimir tells him they should
2. When they finally decide no one is coming after they think they hear something in Act II, Vladimir tells Estragon he must
3. Vladimir tells Estragon, at the end of the second act, that if Godot comes,
4. Vladimir asks Estragon why he keeps coming back to spend time with Vladimir if he is not happy. Estragon tells him
5. In Act II, Vladimir tells Estragon that if he will help him pick up Pozzo, they will go together to
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is almost nothing on the stage with the actors. There are very few props. How do you think this contributes to the overall feeling of the play? Why do you think Beckett used a bare tree on the stage? Why do you think that in the second act it has a few leaves? What point was Beckett trying to make, and how do you think it contributed to his overall message?
Essay Topic 2
Which character do you feel you are most like or unlike? Which of your personality characteristics and the personality characteristics of the character you chose support your belief?
Essay Topic 3
Many lines of dialogue consist of single words or very brief sentences. How does this approach to dialogue affect the mood of the play, and what does it tell you about the characters, especially Estragon and Vladimir?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)