|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the boy comes toward the end of the second act, Vladimir asks him if he has seen anybody. The boy tells him
2. Estragon and Vladimir continue to discuss Pozzo's helplessness in Act II. Vladimir gets excited about the fact that, for once, they
3. In Act II, Estragon and Vladimir talk aimlessly for awhile and have a hard time keeping up the conversation. Vladimir begs Estragon to speak. Finally, Estragon asks what they should do now, and Vladimir tells him they should
4. Vladimir asks Estragon why he keeps coming back to spend time with Vladimir if he is not happy. Estragon tells him
5. As Act I is ending, Vladimir tells Estragon that everything will be better tomorrow because
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Twice, Estragon awakes from a dream. Both times, he tries to tell Vladimir about the dream, but Vladimir refuses to listen. Why do you feel that Vladimir doesn't want to hear Estragon's dreams? What do you think Beckett was trying to say about dreams, and how do you think this contributes to Beckett's story?
Essay Topic 2
Estragon is beaten during the two nights the play covers. He seems to accept the beatings as a part of life. What do you think Beckett was trying to say? Keep in mind that when Vladimir tells Estragon he would have stopped the beating, he doesn't mean that he would have stopped the people who beat Estragon, but that he would stop Estragon from doing whatever he had done to antagonize those who beat him.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think that Beckett had each character wear a hat (bowler)? Was this effective in portraying a message or carrying a theme? Why or why not? How else does Beckett use clothing, like Estragon's boots, to provide depth to his characters and the play's message?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)