|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Estragon remembers some of the things that happened to him the day before, but he can't remember all of the pieces of the puzzle. Vladimir tries to remind him that
2. In Act I, Vladimir asks the boy if he has been where they are before. The boy replies that
3. Throughout the dialogue in Act II, Estragon and Vladimir are doing their best to keep talking so they don't
4. When Estragon tells Vladimir why he is going to go without shoes, Vladimir asks him if he is going to
5. When he arrives for the second time, who does the boy refer to Vladimir as?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagine that Godot finally makes his appearance one day. How might he feel about the fact that Estragon and Vladimir had spent so much time waiting for him? What, if anything, might Godot would do for Estragon and Vladimir? If he were to encounter Pozzo and Lucky, would Godot do anything for them even though they had not been waiting for him?
Essay Topic 2
Estragon is beaten during the two nights the play covers. He seems to accept the beatings as a part of life. What do you think Beckett was trying to say? Keep in mind that when Vladimir tells Estragon he would have stopped the beating, he doesn't mean that he would have stopped the people who beat Estragon, but that he would stop Estragon from doing whatever he had done to antagonize those who beat him.
Essay Topic 3
How well do you think Beckett's play, "Waiting for Godot," would work as a radio play? Is it critical for the play to be seen, or is it powerful enough to carry Beckett's message with sound alone. Keep in mind Beckett's use of silence (stage directions showing delayed responses) and how that would work on the radio as well as the few things that Beckett does make use of like the tree, the moon, changes in lighting, the hats, Estragon's boots, etc.
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)