|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vladimir greets Estragon at the beginning of Act II and wants to embrace him. Estragon tells Vladimir not to
2. When Pozzo and Lucky meet Estragon and Vladimir the next day, Pozzo tells them that he woke up one day finding everything had changed and that he sometimes wonders if he isn't
3. In Act II, Vladimir tells Estragon that if he will help him pick up Pozzo, they will go together to
4. Who does Vladimir suggest he and Estragon pretend to be or fun in Act II?
5. Who does the boy ask for in Act 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is almost nothing on the stage with the actors. There are very few props. How do you think this contributes to the overall feeling of the play? Why do you think Beckett used a bare tree on the stage? Why do you think that in the second act it has a few leaves? What point was Beckett trying to make, and how do you think it contributed to his overall message?
Essay Topic 2
Many lines of dialogue consist of single words or very brief sentences. How does this approach to dialogue affect the mood of the play, and what does it tell you about the characters, especially Estragon and Vladimir?
Essay Topic 3
Why are Estragon and Vladimir waiting for Godot? What do you think they want? Why do you think they keep waiting? Imagine you have come across Estragon and Vladimir who have told you they are waiting for Godot. Based on what you know after reading the play, would you wait? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,387 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)