|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Estragon gets excited because when Pozzo returns the next day, he thinks Pozzo
2. The boy claims to work or Mr. Godot by minding the
3. When he arrives for the second time, who does the boy refer to Vladimir as?
4. When Estragon comments that his boots are too big in Act II, Vladimir tells him that perhaps, someday, he will
5. In Act I, Vladimir asks the boy if he has been where they are before. The boy replies that
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagine that Godot finally makes his appearance one day. How might he feel about the fact that Estragon and Vladimir had spent so much time waiting for him? What, if anything, might Godot would do for Estragon and Vladimir? If he were to encounter Pozzo and Lucky, would Godot do anything for them even though they had not been waiting for him?
Essay Topic 2
There is almost nothing on the stage with the actors. There are very few props. How do you think this contributes to the overall feeling of the play? Why do you think Beckett used a bare tree on the stage? Why do you think that in the second act it has a few leaves? What point was Beckett trying to make, and how do you think it contributed to his overall message?
Essay Topic 3
Do you feel that Samuel Beckett's "Waiting for Godot" has a message for today's readers? Why or why not? If so, what do you think the message is? What action or dialogue supports this message? Did reading "Waiting for Godot" make a difference in your life? Did you learn something about yourself and your feeling about your life?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)