|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Estragon and Vladimir continue to discuss Pozzo's helplessness in Act II. Vladimir gets excited about the fact that, for once, they
2. In Act II, Vladimir tells Estragon that he woke him up
3. Vladimir asks Estragon why he keeps coming back to spend time with Vladimir if he is not happy. Estragon tells him
4. After Estragon and Vladimir help Pozzo stand up in Act II, Pozzo asks Estragon and Vladimir if they are friends of his. They tell him
5. In Act II, Vladimir asks the boy what Mr. Godot does. The boy tells him that Mr. Godot
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think that Beckett had each character wear a hat (bowler)? Was this effective in portraying a message or carrying a theme? Why or why not? How else does Beckett use clothing, like Estragon's boots, to provide depth to his characters and the play's message?
Essay Topic 2
Both Vladimir and Estragon suffer from constant pain. Why may Beckett have given them each a chronic condition that constantly occupied their attention? Pozzo and Lucky also have pain in their lives although, in the first act, it is different from the chronic conditions suffered by Vladimir and Estragon. Then, in the second act, Pozzo is afflicted with a condition that causes him a different kind of pain. How does Beckett use pain as a theme running throughout the play? How does this theme contribute to Beckett's overall message?
Essay Topic 3
Twice, Estragon awakes from a dream. Both times, he tries to tell Vladimir about the dream, but Vladimir refuses to listen. Why do you feel that Vladimir doesn't want to hear Estragon's dreams? What do you think Beckett was trying to say about dreams, and how do you think this contributes to Beckett's story?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)