|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Estragon hurts himself while kicking Lucky in the second act, and he
2. Estragon and Vladimir talk about what time it is in the middle of the second act. Pozzo keeps begging them to tell him if it is
3. In Act II, Vladimir asks the boy what Mr. Godot does. The boy tells him that Mr. Godot
4. In Act II, Estragon and Vladimir discuss how to handle Pozzo, but they are concerned because
5. Vladimir asks the boy if Mr. Godot has a beard. The boy tells him that he does and that it is
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Estragon is beaten during the two nights the play covers. He seems to accept the beatings as a part of life. What do you think Beckett was trying to say? Keep in mind that when Vladimir tells Estragon he would have stopped the beating, he doesn't mean that he would have stopped the people who beat Estragon, but that he would stop Estragon from doing whatever he had done to antagonize those who beat him.
Essay Topic 2
There is almost nothing on the stage with the actors. There are very few props. How do you think this contributes to the overall feeling of the play? Why do you think Beckett used a bare tree on the stage? Why do you think that in the second act it has a few leaves? What point was Beckett trying to make, and how do you think it contributed to his overall message?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think that Beckett had each character wear a hat (bowler)? Was this effective in portraying a message or carrying a theme? Why or why not? How else does Beckett use clothing, like Estragon's boots, to provide depth to his characters and the play's message?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)