|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vladimir is glad that Lucky and Pozzo return in Act II because now they will have help
2. When Estragon approaches Lucky in the second act and starts to kick him, he
3. What is Estragon's reply when Vladimir tells him he cannot go barefoot in Act 1?
4. What is the first thing Vladimir suggests Estragon do when he checks on Lucky in Act II?
5. As Pozzo and Lucky are leaving near the end of the play, Vladimir asks Pozzo what they do when they fall down and there is no one to help them. Pozzo tells him
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Twice, Estragon awakes from a dream. Both times, he tries to tell Vladimir about the dream, but Vladimir refuses to listen. Why do you feel that Vladimir doesn't want to hear Estragon's dreams? What do you think Beckett was trying to say about dreams, and how do you think this contributes to Beckett's story?
Essay Topic 2
Which character do you feel you are most like or unlike? Which of your personality characteristics and the personality characteristics of the character you chose support your belief?
Essay Topic 3
How well do you think Beckett's play, "Waiting for Godot," would work as a radio play? Is it critical for the play to be seen, or is it powerful enough to carry Beckett's message with sound alone. Keep in mind Beckett's use of silence (stage directions showing delayed responses) and how that would work on the radio as well as the few things that Beckett does make use of like the tree, the moon, changes in lighting, the hats, Estragon's boots, etc.
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)