|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While relaxing and smoking his pipe, Pozzo makes the philosophical observation that the second pipe
(a) Is really bad for your health.
(b) Is sweet but not as sweet as the first.
(c) Is better shared with someone.
(d) Is even better than the first.
2. Estragon and Vladimir want to find out why Lucky won't put his packages down. Finally, Pozzo understands the question and tells them that Lucky
(a) Wants to give the packages to Estragon and Vladimir.
(b) Is trying to steal the packages.
(c) Is afraid someone will steal the packages.
(d) Has the right to put his packages down but chooses not to.
3. When Estragon and Vladimir first discuss the tree, they notice it is
(a) Badly splintered.
(c) Full of fruit.
(d) Full of leaves.
4. Several times during the beginning of the first act, Vladimir keeps taking off and putting back on his
5. In Act 1, Pozzo asks Estragon and Vladimir how he can help them since they are having such a dull time. Estragon tells Pozzo
(a) That he is hungry.
(b) That 10 francs would be fine.
(c) That he has no place to sleep.
(d) To leave them alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Responding to Pozzo's request for help sitting down, Estragon tells Pozzo that if he does not sit down, Pozzo will
2. Upon first encountering Pozzo, Estragon wants to know if he is
3. Estragon tells Vladimir that if they try to hang themselves
4. After Estragon repeatedly asks Pozzo to sit down, Pozzo finally does and then tells Estragon and Vladimir that he must
5. Who offers to give Lucky his hat so that he can perform at the end of Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act II, Pozzo finally decides that he and Lucky must leave. Vladimir asks Pozzo if Lucky can sing for them before he and Lucky leave. What does Pozzo tell Vladimir?
2. In Act I, when Pozzo tells Estragon and Vladimir that he has to leave and keep to his schedule, what does Vladimir tell him?
3. Briefly describe the relationship between Lucky and Pozzo.
4. In Act 1, when Vladimir leaves the stage to go to the bathroom, what do Pozzo and Estragon stare at off stage? What does Estragon tell Vladimir about it when he returns?
5. What does Pozzo tell Estragon and Vladimir about tears and laughter?
6. Vladimir asks Estragon if he has ever read the Bible. What does Estragon tell him?
7. Estragon and Vladimir still want to know why Lucky doesn't put done all the parcels. What does Pozzo finally tell them?
8. After Estragon and Vladimir talk about the fact that Estragon got beaten again, Vladimir finally notices the tree. They have another discussion about the tree. What is interesting to note about Vladimir's observation versus the reality of the tree?
9. How does Estragon reply to Vladimir's statement that he can't go barefoot?
10. Estragon and Vladimir keep discussing whether they should help Pozzo while Pozzo keeps repeating his pleas for help. Do Estragon and Vladimir finally agree to respond to Pozzo's requests for help? Why or why not?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)