Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the first part of Act I, Estragon keeps looking for something that he doesn't find in what?
(a) His shoes.
(b) His hat.
(c) The tree.
(d) The sky.
2. During the beginning of the first act, while Vladimir is pacing back and forth, Estragon
(a) Draws pictures in the dirt.
(b) Walks around the tree.
(c) Falls asleep.
(d) Eats an apple.
3. When Lucky comes on stage for the first time, he is
(a) Carrying a goat.
(b) Pulling a cart.
(c) Carrying Pozzo.
(d) Carrying many parcels and packages.
4. Estragon and Vladimir want to find out why Lucky won't put his packages down. Finally, Pozzo understands the question and tells them that Lucky
(a) Wants to give the packages to Estragon and Vladimir.
(b) Is afraid someone will steal the packages.
(c) Is trying to steal the packages.
(d) Has the right to put his packages down but chooses not to.
5. Who offers to give Lucky his hat so that he can perform at the end of Act I?
(a) The boy
(d) A stranger walking across the stage
Short Answer Questions
1. When Estragon starts to tell Vladimir about the dream he was having, Vladimir
2. While relaxing and smoking his pipe, Pozzo makes the philosophical observation that the second pipe
3. According to the play's notes, the action begins
4. When Estragon complains that he will never walk again, Vladimir tells Estragon that, if necessary, he will
5. During one of the conservations about the Bible, Vladimir tells Estragon he should have been a
Short Essay Questions
1. Lucky makes a speech. What does he tell Estragon, Vladimir, and Pozzo?
2. After Estragon and Vladimir help Pozzo get up in Act II, Pozzo asks them if they are his friends. How do Estragon and Vladimir respond?
3. Vladimir is closely associated with a particular prop. What is that prop? Why do you think Beckett chose that prop and what does it contribute to the play?
4. Pozzo smokes a pipe after dinner. He tells Estragon and Vladimir that even though the second pipe is sweet, it is not as sweet as the first. Why might Pozzo believes the first pipe is sweeter, and why does Pozzo have the second pipe? What does this contribute to the mood of the play?
5. Toward the end of Act II, after Pozzo and Lucky leave, the boy returns. Vladimir asks the boy if he recognizes him. How does the boy respond?
6. Pozzo and Lucky perform a repetitive behavior that serves to demonstrate the kind of relationship they have. It drives home the point that they are incapable of changing the course of their lives. Lucky's suffering is apparent. Briefly explain what Lucky's part is in the "dance" between them. Pozzo's "servitude" is not as apparent, but it does exist. Explain how Pozzo is just as helpless and frustrated in his relationship with Lucky.
7. Vladimir asks the boy if Mr. Godot has a beard and what color it is. How does the boy respond?
8. In Act 1, when Vladimir leaves the stage to go to the bathroom, what do Pozzo and Estragon stare at off stage? What does Estragon tell Vladimir about it when he returns?
9. Before the boy leaves at the end of Act II, what does Vladimir ask him to do?
10. What does Pozzo tell Estragon and Vladimir about tears and laughter?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)