|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act I, when Vladimer and Estragon first encounter Pozzo and Lucky, Vladimir moves towards Lucky, but Pozzo says Lucky is
(a) Not very nice.
(b) Very dirty and bad smelling.
(c) Dangerous, especially toward strangers.
(d) Happy to make new friends.
2. In the first act, after Estragon falls asleep, Vladimir
(a) Reads the papers in his pockets.
(b) Lies down next to him.
(c) Wanders off.
(d) Wakes him up abruptly.
3. In Act 1, Pozzo asks Estragon and Vladimir how he can help them since they are having such a dull time. Estragon tells Pozzo
(a) That he has no place to sleep.
(b) That he is hungry.
(c) To leave them alone.
(d) That 10 francs would be fine.
4. When Pozzo tells Estragon to give Lucky his hat so Lucky can entertain them, Estragon says
(a) He would be happy to do it.
(b) Lucky already has his hat.
(c) He doesn't believe Lucky should wear a hat.
(d) He won't do it because Lucky kicked him.
5. When Estragon starts to tell Vladimir about the dream he was having, Vladimir
(a) Shouts for him to stop!
(b) Listens intently.
(c) Falls asleep.
(d) Keeps interrupting the story.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Lucky reacts to Estragon's attempt to make him feel better, Estragon then reacts by
2. When Estragon pushes Vladimir to tell him the story about the Englishman in the brothel, Vladimir
3. Vladimir looks for a note about when Godot is to come in
4. While they are waiting for Godot, Estragon and Vladimir talk about
5. Vladimir tells Estragon that if they hang themselves from the tree, they will have
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Estragon reply to Vladimir's statement that he can't go barefoot?
2. What does Pozzo have for dinner and what do Estragon, Vladimir, and Lucky eat?
3. Pozzo wants to rouse Lucky and suggests that someone go and kick him to get his attention. Estragon is reluctant to approach him because the last time he did, Lucky kicked him. What does Vladimir tell Estragon?
4. Estragon and Vladimir have a second conversation about radishes and carrots. How does the conversation differ from the one in Act I and why might Beckett includes this second conversation?
5. When Pozzo and Lucky come across Estragon and Vladimir on the second day, what has changed, and what has stayed the same?
6. In the first act, what does the boy tell Estragon and Vladimir about Mr. Godot?
7. After Estragon and Vladimir talk about the tree, Estragon falls asleep. He is abruptly awakened by Vladimir. When he tries to tell Vladimir about a dream he was having, Vladimir is adamant that he not talk about it. Why do you think Vladimir is so vehement in his reaction?
8. Pozzo smokes a pipe after dinner. He tells Estragon and Vladimir that even though the second pipe is sweet, it is not as sweet as the first. Why might Pozzo believes the first pipe is sweeter, and why does Pozzo have the second pipe? What does this contribute to the mood of the play?
9. What is the theme that is carried throughout the play and obvious from the beginning? What does this theme mean to you?
10. Of all the kind of trees there are, Beckett chose what kind of tree? Why do you think he chose that particular type of tree.
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)