|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Estragon tries to make Lucky feel better in the way Pozzo suggested, Lucky
(a) Kicks him violently in the shins and gives the handkerchief back to Pozzo.
(b) Puts down his packages, lies down, and falls asleep.
(c) Is grateful and shows his great appreciation.
(d) Is confused and doesn't understand why Estragon is helping him.
2. What is the last thing Lucky does at end of Act I?
(a) He laughes at Estragon.
(b) He gives a long speech full of gibberish.
(c) He falls asleep and takes a nap.
(d) He picks up his packages and waits silently.
3. In Act I, when Estragon and Vladimir are telling Pozzo about the fact they are waiting for Godot, Pozzo tells them he would be
(a) Upset if he met Godot because he doesn't like to meet new people.
(b) Afraid to meet Godot because he doesn't like strangers.
(c) Angry if he met Godot because he has kept Estragon and Vladimir waiting.
(d) Happy to meet Godot because he likes meeting new people.
4. At times throughout the play, both Estragon and Vladimir talk about leaving the place where they are waiting, but they do not. Why not?
(a) They are watching all the people walking by.
(b) The are happy in this place.
(c) They are looking for money.
(d) They are waiting for Godot.
5. Estragon and Vladimir want to find out why Lucky won't put his packages down. Finally, Pozzo understands the question and tells them that Lucky
(a) Is afraid someone will steal the packages.
(b) Wants to give the packages to Estragon and Vladimir.
(c) Is trying to steal the packages.
(d) Has the right to put his packages down but chooses not to.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Vladimir talks about leaving, Pozzo asks him what will happen to his appointment with Godot because he believes Godot
2. When Pozzo tells Estragon to give Lucky his hat so Lucky can entertain them, Estragon says
3. Estragon tells Vladimir that if they try to hang themselves
4. When Act I opens, Estragon is
5. During the first act, Vladimir leaves the stage to go to the bathroom. When Vladimir returns, Estragon tries to start a conversation. He acknowledges that Vladimir is angry and wants the anger to go away. They end up
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act II, what does Estragon remember about Lucky and Pozzo from the day before and why?
2. What is the theme that is carried throughout the play and obvious from the beginning? What does this theme mean to you?
3. In Act 1, when Vladimir leaves the stage to go to the bathroom, what do Pozzo and Estragon stare at off stage? What does Estragon tell Vladimir about it when he returns?
4. Estragon and Vladimir talk about the crucifixion of Christ and, later, about offering a prayer or supplication to Godot. Why might Beckett reveal this vague connection between God and Godot?
5. What happens to the bones after Pozzo has finished eating?
6. Lucky makes a speech. What does he tell Estragon, Vladimir, and Pozzo?
7. When Vladimir wakes Estragon up in Act II and he finds Lucky's hat, what does Vladimir suggests they do to pass the time?
8. When Pozzo and Lucky come across Estragon and Vladimir on the second day, what has changed, and what has stayed the same?
9. After Pozzo leaves in Act I, a boy enters the stage with information for Estragon and Vladimir. Vladimir asks the boy if he is the same boy who came yesterday. What does the boy tell them, and what is his explanation for being late?
10. Vladimir is closely associated with a particular prop. What is that prop? Why do you think Beckett chose that prop and what does it contribute to the play?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)