|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act I, when Estragon and Vladimir are telling Pozzo about the fact they are waiting for Godot, Pozzo tells them he would be
(a) Afraid to meet Godot because he doesn't like strangers.
(b) Angry if he met Godot because he has kept Estragon and Vladimir waiting.
(c) Happy to meet Godot because he likes meeting new people.
(d) Upset if he met Godot because he doesn't like to meet new people.
2. When Pozzo tells Estragon and Vladimir they are trespassing, they reply that
(a) They are lost and have no idea where they are.
(b) They would be happy leave immediately.
(c) That is just too bad because it is a free country.
(d) They just thought they were on a public road and meant no harm.
3. During one of the conservations about the Bible, Vladimir tells Estragon he should have been a
4. While discussing the hanging, Vladimir asks Estragon what they should do. Estragon replies
(a) "Let's do it right away."
(b) "Don't let's do anything. It's safer."
(c) "We can think more about it."
(d) "Let's find another tree so that we can both hang."
5. After Estragon's leg is hurt, what does Pozzo tell him?
(a) That he doesn't care, and Estragon should stop complaining.
(b) That he is glad that Estragon got hurt.
(c) That he will pay Estragon money to make up for it.
(d) That he had warned Estragon that Lucky didn't like strangers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers to give Lucky his hat so that he can perform at the end of Act I?
2. In Act I, when Pozzo first sees Estragon and Vladimir as he is entering the stage, he
3. When Pozzo tells Estragon to give Lucky his hat so Lucky can entertain them, Estragon says
4. During the conversation about Lucky and the packages, Pozzo yanks on the rope to get his attention and calls him a
5. Estragon and Vladimir want to find out why Lucky won't put his packages down. Finally, Pozzo understands the question and tells them that Lucky
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pozzo tell Estragon and Vladimir about tears and laughter?
2. Estragon and Vladimir talk about the crucifixion of Christ and, later, about offering a prayer or supplication to Godot. Why might Beckett reveal this vague connection between God and Godot?
3. In the first act, what does the boy tell Estragon and Vladimir about Mr. Godot?
4. Pozzo and Lucky perform a repetitive behavior that serves to demonstrate the kind of relationship they have. It drives home the point that they are incapable of changing the course of their lives. Lucky's suffering is apparent. Briefly explain what Lucky's part is in the "dance" between them. Pozzo's "servitude" is not as apparent, but it does exist. Explain how Pozzo is just as helpless and frustrated in his relationship with Lucky.
5. When Vladimir wakes Estragon up in Act II and he finds Lucky's hat, what does Vladimir suggests they do to pass the time?
6. What does Pozzo have for dinner and what do Estragon, Vladimir, and Lucky eat?
7. What is the subject of Vladimir's song, and why do you think Beckett used this particular song?
8. After Estragon and Vladimir help Pozzo get up in Act II, Pozzo asks them if they are his friends. How do Estragon and Vladimir respond?
9. How does Pozzo feel about meeting new people?
10. Vladimir asks the boy if Mr. Godot has a beard and what color it is. How does the boy respond?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)