|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lucky hears Pozzo talking to Estragon and Vladimir about the fair, he starts to
(a) Run away.
(d) Go to sleep.
2. While relaxing and smoking his pipe, Pozzo makes the philosophical observation that the second pipe
(a) Is really bad for your health.
(b) Is better shared with someone.
(c) Is sweet but not as sweet as the first.
(d) Is even better than the first.
3. During the course of the play, Estragon asks Vladimir if he is sure they are waiting in the right spot. In Act I, in response to Estragon's concern, Vladimir reminds him they were told to wait by the
(b) Water fountain.
4. When Estragon tries to make Lucky feel better in the way Pozzo suggested, Lucky
(a) Is grateful and shows his great appreciation.
(b) Puts down his packages, lies down, and falls asleep.
(c) Kicks him violently in the shins and gives the handkerchief back to Pozzo.
(d) Is confused and doesn't understand why Estragon is helping him.
5. During the course of the play, Estragon and Vladimir encounter two people who are traveling together, Pozzo and Lucky. It is clear that
(a) Pozzo and Lucky just met.
(b) Pozzo serves Lucky and is dependent on him.
(c) Pozzo and Lucky are friends traveling together.
(d) Lucky serves Pozzo and is dependent on him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pozzo controls Lucky with
2. Estragon tells Vladimir that if they try to hang themselves
3. After tormenting Lucky awhile, Pozzo decides to eat. In his belongings he has
4. During one of the conservations about the Bible, Vladimir tells Estragon he should have been a
5. When Vladimir goes off stage to go to the bathroom, Estragon asks Pozzo to come and look at something. Together they look at
Short Essay Questions
1. Estragon and Vladimir talk about the crucifixion of Christ and, later, about offering a prayer or supplication to Godot. Why might Beckett reveal this vague connection between God and Godot?
2. Pozzo smokes a pipe after dinner. He tells Estragon and Vladimir that even though the second pipe is sweet, it is not as sweet as the first. Why might Pozzo believes the first pipe is sweeter, and why does Pozzo have the second pipe? What does this contribute to the mood of the play?
3. Vladimir asks the boy if Mr. Godot has a beard and what color it is. How does the boy respond?
4. When Vladimir finds Estragon's boots in Act II, what does Estragon say about the boots?
5. When Estragon complains about Lucky's response to his attempted kindness, Pozzo reminds him about what?
6. Estragon and Vladimir keep discussing whether they should help Pozzo while Pozzo keeps repeating his pleas for help. Do Estragon and Vladimir finally agree to respond to Pozzo's requests for help? Why or why not?
7. Lucky makes a speech. What does he tell Estragon, Vladimir, and Pozzo?
8. What does Estragon decide to do with his boots and why does Vladimir tell him he can't do that?
9. In Act I, when Pozzo tells Estragon and Vladimir that he has to leave and keep to his schedule, what does Vladimir tell him?
10. The set is very bare with the exception of one significant thing. What is it, and why do you think Beckett used this particular thing?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)