|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Pozzo has finished eating, Estragon asks him
(a) If he can have the chicken bones.
(b) If Pozzo has some other kinds of food.
(c) If there is any more to eat.
(d) If he can have some wine.
2. While discussing the hanging, Vladimir asks Estragon what they should do. Estragon replies
(a) "Let's find another tree so that we can both hang."
(b) "We can think more about it."
(c) "Don't let's do anything. It's safer."
(d) "Let's do it right away."
3. When Pozzo tells Estragon to give Lucky his hat so Lucky can entertain them, Estragon says
(a) He would be happy to do it.
(b) He won't do it because Lucky kicked him.
(c) He doesn't believe Lucky should wear a hat.
(d) Lucky already has his hat.
4. When Estragon and Vladimir first discuss the tree, they notice it is
(a) Full of leaves.
(c) Full of fruit.
(d) Badly splintered.
5. After all of the men say goodbye many times toward the end of Act 1, Pozzo and Lucky
(c) Decide to stay and meet Godot.
(d) Fall asleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Vladimir talks about leaving, Pozzo asks him what will happen to his appointment with Godot because he believes Godot
2. During one of the conservations about the Bible, Vladimir tells Estragon he should have been a
3. According to Pozzo, Lucky calls the performance he gives at the end of Act I
4. While relaxing and smoking his pipe, Pozzo makes the philosophical observation that the second pipe
5. Pozzo asks Estragon how old he thinks Vladimir is. Estragon tells him
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Estragon react in Act II when he decided to kick Lucky and ended up hurting his foot in the process?
2. What is the subject of Vladimir's song, and why do you think Beckett used this particular song?
3. In the first act, what does the boy tell Estragon and Vladimir about Mr. Godot?
4. Vladimir asks the boy what Mr. Godot does. How does the boy respond?
5. When Pozzo and Lucky come across Estragon and Vladimir on the second day, what has changed, and what has stayed the same?
6. After Estragon and Vladimir talk about the fact that Estragon got beaten again, Vladimir finally notices the tree. They have another discussion about the tree. What is interesting to note about Vladimir's observation versus the reality of the tree?
7. After Pozzo leaves in Act I, a boy enters the stage with information for Estragon and Vladimir. Vladimir asks the boy if he is the same boy who came yesterday. What does the boy tell them, and what is his explanation for being late?
8. How does Estragon reply to Vladimir's statement that he can't go barefoot?
9. Estragon and Vladimir talk about the crucifixion of Christ and, later, about offering a prayer or supplication to Godot. Why might Beckett reveal this vague connection between God and Godot?
10. After Estragon and Vladimir talk about the tree, Estragon falls asleep. He is abruptly awakened by Vladimir. When he tries to tell Vladimir about a dream he was having, Vladimir is adamant that he not talk about it. Why do you think Vladimir is so vehement in his reaction?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)