|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Pozzo finishes eating, what does Pozzo ask Lucky?
(a) If he wants the chicken bones.
(b) If he would like something to eat.
(c) If he would like to relax and get some sleep.
(d) If he is ready to leave.
2. Responding to Pozzo's request for help sitting down, Estragon tells Pozzo that if he does not sit down, Pozzo will
(a) Fall asleep standing up.
(b) Have to leave.
(c) Get bad cramps.
(d) Get pneumonia.
3. During the course of the play, Estragon asks Vladimir if he is sure they are waiting in the right spot. In Act I, in response to Estragon's concern, Vladimir reminds him they were told to wait by the
(d) Water fountain.
4. After Estragon repeatedly asks Pozzo to sit down, Pozzo finally does and then tells Estragon and Vladimir that he must
(a) Go to the bathroom.
(b) Leave immediately if he is to keep his schedule.
(c) Take a nap.
(d) Feed Lucky.
5. When Lucky hears Pozzo talking to Estragon and Vladimir about the fair, he starts to
(a) Run away.
(d) Go to sleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vladimir looks for a note about when Godot is to come in
2. During the first part of Act I, Vladimir keeps looking for something that he doesn't find in what?
3. Vladimir and Estragon talk about the crucifixion of Jesus and the different views of the four Evangelists who record that event. What is the topic that is described differently between the four Evangelists?
4. What does Estragon tell Vladimir happened to him during the night?
5. In Act I, when Vladimer and Estragon first encounter Pozzo and Lucky, Vladimir moves towards Lucky, but Pozzo says Lucky is
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Estragon decide to do with his boots and why does Vladimir tell him he can't do that?
2. Vladimir is closely associated with a particular prop. What is that prop? Why do you think Beckett chose that prop and what does it contribute to the play?
3. After Pozzo leaves in Act I, a boy enters the stage with information for Estragon and Vladimir. Vladimir asks the boy if he is the same boy who came yesterday. What does the boy tell them, and what is his explanation for being late?
4. After the discussion about radishes in Act II, what does Vladimir suggest he and Estragon do to pass the time?
5. Estragon and Vladimir talk about the crucifixion of Christ and, later, about offering a prayer or supplication to Godot. Why might Beckett reveal this vague connection between God and Godot?
6. Estragon is closely associated with a particular prop. What is that prop? Why do you think Beckett chose that prop and what does it contribute to the play?
7. Of all the kind of trees there are, Beckett chose what kind of tree? Why do you think he chose that particular type of tree.
8. Estragon and Vladimir frequently fall asleep throughout the play. Why do you think Beckett uses that as a thread throughout the play.
9. What are Estragon and Vladimir doing when the play finally ends?
10. What do Estragon and Vladimir talk about as the first act is ending, and what actually happens?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)