|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the first act, after Estragon falls asleep, Vladimir
(a) Reads the papers in his pockets.
(b) Wakes him up abruptly.
(c) Lies down next to him.
(d) Wanders off.
2. During one of the conservations about the Bible, Vladimir tells Estragon he should have been a
3. What is the last thing Lucky does at end of Act I?
(a) He gives a long speech full of gibberish.
(b) He falls asleep and takes a nap.
(c) He laughes at Estragon.
(d) He picks up his packages and waits silently.
4. According to the play's notes, the action begins
(a) On a country road in the afternoon.
(b) In a park in the evening.
(c) In a park in the morning.
(d) On a country road in the evening.
5. Estragan pities Lucky, so Pozzo gives him a
(a) Stool so that he can give it Lucky and let him sit down.
(b) Handkerchief to comfort Lucky telling Estragon to wipe away his tears.
(c) Stick so that he can hit Lucky and stop him from crying.
(d) Whip so that he won't be afraid anymore.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Estragon and Vladimir first see Pozzo and Lucky, they
2. Instead of leading him with the rope, Pozzo drives Lucky forward with a
3. During their initial conversation in the first act, what does Estragon tell Vladimir is unbuttoned?
4. When Lucky comes on stage for the first time, he is
5. When Estragon tries to make Lucky feel better in the way Pozzo suggested, Lucky
Short Essay Questions
1. Pozzo wants to rouse Lucky and suggests that someone go and kick him to get his attention. Estragon is reluctant to approach him because the last time he did, Lucky kicked him. What does Vladimir tell Estragon?
2. What does Estragon decide to do with his boots and why does Vladimir tell him he can't do that?
3. Estragon and Vladimir still want to know why Lucky doesn't put done all the parcels. What does Pozzo finally tell them?
4. Estragon and Vladimir have a second conversation about radishes and carrots. How does the conversation differ from the one in Act I and why might Beckett includes this second conversation?
5. When Vladimir wakes Estragon up in Act II and he finds Lucky's hat, what does Vladimir suggests they do to pass the time?
6. Estragon and Vladimir keep discussing whether they should help Pozzo while Pozzo keeps repeating his pleas for help. Do Estragon and Vladimir finally agree to respond to Pozzo's requests for help? Why or why not?
7. When Pozzo and Lucky come across Estragon and Vladimir on the second day, what has changed, and what has stayed the same?
8. Who are the five characters in "Waiting for Godot?"
9. Just before he finally leaves in Act I, what does Pozzo observe about leaving? What does he feel he needs to do to be able to leave?
10. Estragon and Vladimir talk about the tree again in Act II and the possibility of hanging themselves. They realize they need rope. What do they consider as a possible solution, and what is the problem with that?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)