|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act I, when Vladimer and Estragon first encounter Pozzo and Lucky, Vladimir moves towards Lucky, but Pozzo says Lucky is
(a) Very dirty and bad smelling.
(b) Dangerous, especially toward strangers.
(c) Happy to make new friends.
(d) Not very nice.
2. The two main characters in "Waiting for Godot" are
(a) The boy and Lucky.
(b) Estragon and Vladimir.
(c) Pozzo and Lucky.
(d) Estragon and Lucky.
3. Estragon tells Vladimir that if they try to hang themselves
(a) It will be a great success.
(b) Everything will work exactly as they plan because it is a wonderful idea.
(c) They will fail and live to regret it because they both will be hurt.
(d) He will die because he is light but that Didi will break the branch and will be left alive and alone.
4. After Pozzo finishes eating, what does Pozzo ask Lucky?
(a) If he is ready to leave.
(b) If he would like something to eat.
(c) If he wants the chicken bones.
(d) If he would like to relax and get some sleep.
5. After Lucky reacts to Estragon's attempt to make him feel better, Estragon then reacts by
(a) Giving Lucky a hug.
(b) Dramatically claiming he is crippled.
(d) Kicking him really hard.
Short Answer Questions
1. After eating and disposing of the chicken bones, Pozzo finally decides to relax and
2. Vladimir looks for a note about when Godot is to come in
3. Lucky is clearly working extremely hard carrying packages and serving Pozzo. He is so exhausted that he finally
4. Instead of leading him with the rope, Pozzo drives Lucky forward with a
5. When Estragon starts to tell Vladimir about the dream he was having, Vladimir
Short Essay Questions
1. Estragon and Vladimir frequently fall asleep throughout the play. Why do you think Beckett uses that as a thread throughout the play.
2. What does Lucky do to entertain Estragon, Vladimir, and Pozzo. What is Lucky's name for it and why?
3. In Act 1, when Vladimir leaves the stage to go to the bathroom, what do Pozzo and Estragon stare at off stage? What does Estragon tell Vladimir about it when he returns?
4. How does Estragon reply to Vladimir's statement that he can't go barefoot?
5. What are Estragon and Vladimir doing when the play finally ends?
6. What does Estragon do to Lucky later in Act I to get revenge for what Lucky did to him earlier?
7. Pozzo wants to rouse Lucky and suggests that someone go and kick him to get his attention. Estragon is reluctant to approach him because the last time he did, Lucky kicked him. What does Vladimir tell Estragon?
8. Why do you think Beckett uses the moon to illuminate the stage? Remember that moonlight is different than sunlight and that the moon becomes part of the play in the same way that the tree does.
9. How does Estragon react in Act II when he decided to kick Lucky and ended up hurting his foot in the process?
10. Vladimir asks Estragon if he has ever read the Bible. What does Estragon tell him?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)