|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The magistrate finds it difficult to get used to ______________ in the humiliation of his imprisonment.
2. What is NOT one of the things the soldiers bring with them when they depart the settlement with Mandel?
3. The soldiers were left by the barbarians to freeze in the _____________ and to starve in the desert.
4. More ____________ are built for the barbarians tortured in front of their relatives as the story goes on.
5. The magistrate meets with a ____________ from the Third Bureau who decides to accuse him of siding with the enemy.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the magistrate shouts out in protest during some tortures?
2. What does the magistrate advise the people of the town to do in order to make it through the winter?
3. What is regarded as the only form of protection from the barbarians, causing the town to shift in terms of population and control?
4. What does the magistrate learn when he finally gets through the gate in order to leave?
5. Why is the magistrate at odds with Mandel the policeman in the city where he is living?
6. Why does Colonel Joll come to the town where the magistrate is now in control?
7. Why doesn't anyone want to gather wood in the area where the magistrate is now in control?
8. What are some of the hobbies that the magistrate goes back to after visiting and sleeping with Mai?
9. What does the magistrate learn about his status when he says he cannot be in power because he is awaiting trial?
10. What do the men who are digging the wells find when they are beginning the process of constructing new wells?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The magistrate becomes confused as he begins to be attracted to the girl who he meets and brings into his home.
Part 1: Why do you think that the magistrate is attracted to the girl he's brought into his home?
Part 2: Do you think that the girl is attracted to the magistrate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think these two people are drawn to each other in this story?
Essay Topic 2
The magistrate realizes that the law creates opportunities for both justice and injustice.
Part 1: Why do you think the law can create good and bad results?
Part 2: Do you think the law should only create opportunities for justice? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you feel about the law? Do you think it's designed always for good? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Colonel was sent to investigate rumors in the location so as to settle the area and to make things easier for the uprising.
Part 1: Why do you think rumors are so dangerous in times of war?
Part 2: Do you think that rumors can ever be completely dispelled?
Part 3: Do you listen to all of the rumors you hear? Why or why not?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)