|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The power of the Empire is derived from the infliction of pain on the ___________, a sign of victory over this group.
2. The magistrate wanted to point out that it was worse to damage one's _____________ than to go ahead and to kill them.
3. The soldiers were left by the barbarians to freeze in the _____________ and to starve in the desert.
4. Men who dig wells in the area find __________________ behind the barracks in a place that seems to be a grave.
5. Children gather __________ which are then smoked and packed away for the coming months and seasons.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the magistrate think he might write down if he were to write a record of the imperial post?
2. What happens to the barbarians when they are locked up in their cells, according to the events the magistrate has witnessed?
3. What happens when the magistrate meets up with the warrant officer from the Third Bureau?
4. What do the men who are digging the wells find when they are beginning the process of constructing new wells?
5. What happens with the fire that is being set along the riverbanks?
6. What does the magistrate advise the people of the town to do in order to make it through the winter?
7. What happens to the way the magistrate looks at the girl who he used to take pity on when she is tortured?
8. What do the people learn about the barbarians who lured the army into the desert?
9. What happens to the magistrate as a result of not having any activities to do during his captivity?
10. What is the magistrate feeling regret about as he is settling into a new life of survival?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Those in the military seem to be be paranoid about everyone and their intentions, no matter what side they seem to be on.
Part 1: Why do you think that military leaders are so suspicious of others?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to be suspicious of everyone around you? Why or why not?
Part 3:How do you think that military leaders should treat each other during times of conflict?
Essay Topic 2
The magistrate wants to distance himself from the atrocities which are going on in the area.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to distance himself from the horrors that are occurring?
Part 2: Would you want to distance yourself from the atrocities which were going on around you?
Part 3: Why do you think the magistrate doesn't want to fight back against those performing the torture?
Essay Topic 3
The magistrate decides to bring the girl back to her family as he's fed up with her and with her relationship.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate thought it was best to bring the girl back to her family?
Part 2: Do you think that it was a good idea for the magistrate to bring the girl back to her family? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the magistrate's life would have been different had he not tried to bring the girl back to her family?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)