|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ______________ who pass by every now and then move them as if the soldiers move the items as though the soldiers moved.
2. What does the magistrate notice that makes him realize that he can not survive there?
3. What is the name of the girl who the magistrate seeks out in order to help him with his tension?
4. The magistrate meets with a ____________ from the Third Bureau who decides to accuse him of siding with the enemy.
5. The officer the magistrate has spoken with seems to be equally capable of ___________ as of fulfilling his duties.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with the fire that is being set along the riverbanks?
2. Why is the magistrate at odds with Mandel the policeman in the city where he is living?
3. What does the magistrate try to explain to the soldiers about the huts and the people who live in them?
4. What does the magistrate think he might write down if he were to write a record of the imperial post?
5. What does the magistrate attempt to do in order to control his erections?
6. What does the magistrate witness when he leaves the settlement and gets through the gate to get to the lakeside?
7. What is the magistrate feeling regret about as he is settling into a new life of survival?
8. What begins to spread among the soldiers as the rumors of the barbarians begin to spread more rapidly?
9. What happens when the magistrate falls asleep in the room of one of the girls he used to sleep with?
10. What does the Colonel do to the natives who have their cheeks wired and their wrists wired?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The magistrate decides that it would be best to not dwell in the past and to move on in the future.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to avoid thinking about the past?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to focus only on the present? Why or why not?
Part 3: How would your life change if you were only able to focus on the present? Or wouldn't it?
Essay Topic 2
The magistrate decides to bring the girl back to her family as he's fed up with her and with her relationship.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate thought it was best to bring the girl back to her family?
Part 2: Do you think that it was a good idea for the magistrate to bring the girl back to her family? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the magistrate's life would have been different had he not tried to bring the girl back to her family?
Essay Topic 3
Living in fear seems to be the natural response for the people in the area, but this seems to create a strange way to live.
Part 1: Why do you think that living in fear is the natural response for the people in the area?
Part 2: Do you think that you could live in fear? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think living in fear affects those who are in that area?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)