|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The magistrate recovers, finding himself interested in ___________ again during the new period of time in the settlement.
2. The magistrate is in charge of new __________ which are being built at the same time as the farming begins.
3. People in town as well as the ___________ living nearby live in fear of barbarian attacks.
4. More ____________ are built for the barbarians tortured in front of their relatives as the story goes on.
5. What is NOT one of the things the soldiers bring with them when they depart the settlement with Mandel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What begins to spread among the soldiers as the rumors of the barbarians begin to spread more rapidly?
2. How does the magistrate suffer when he is imprisoned during his time in his cell?
3. What does the magistrate begin to believe about the consistency of the law as seen in the cases he has previously conducted?
4. What happens to the way the magistrate looks at the girl who he used to take pity on when she is tortured?
5. Why is the magistrate at odds with Mandel the policeman in the city where he is living?
6. What happens to the magistrate as a result of not having any activities to do during his captivity?
7. What does Mai tell the magistrate about the girl who used to live with him there?
8. What is regarded as the only form of protection from the barbarians, causing the town to shift in terms of population and control?
9. What is the magistrate feeling regret about as he is settling into a new life of survival?
10. What does the Colonel do to the natives who have their cheeks wired and their wrists wired?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The magistrate becomes confused as he begins to be attracted to the girl who he meets and brings into his home.
Part 1: Why do you think that the magistrate is attracted to the girl he's brought into his home?
Part 2: Do you think that the girl is attracted to the magistrate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think these two people are drawn to each other in this story?
Essay Topic 2
The magistrate decides that it would be best to not dwell in the past and to move on in the future.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to avoid thinking about the past?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to focus only on the present? Why or why not?
Part 3: How would your life change if you were only able to focus on the present? Or wouldn't it?
Essay Topic 3
The magistrate ends up helping a girl who is blind, taking her into his home and making her his maid.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to take in the blind girl?
Part 2: Why do you think the magistrate picks this girl out of all the others who are suffering?
Part 3: Would you have picked up a person from the side of the road to take into your home? Why or why not?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)