|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The magistrate finds it difficult to get used to ______________ in the humiliation of his imprisonment.
2. Some of the ____________ decide to leave because of the rumors which begin to spread in the settlement.
3. The magistrate advises everyone to grow _________ so that they can survive the winter and attacks.
4. What do people throw at Colonel Joll's carriage when he and his men decide to leave?
5. Men who dig wells in the area find __________________ behind the barracks in a place that seems to be a grave.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the magistrate learn when he finally gets through the gate in order to leave?
2. Why does Colonel Joll come to the town where the magistrate is now in control?
3. What happens when the magistrate meets up with the warrant officer from the Third Bureau?
4. Why is the magistrate at odds with Mandel the policeman in the city where he is living?
5. How does the magistrate suffer when he is imprisoned during his time in his cell?
6. What do the people learn about the barbarians who lured the army into the desert?
7. What happens to the magistrate as a result of not having any activities to do during his captivity?
8. What do the men who are digging the wells find when they are beginning the process of constructing new wells?
9. What is the sight that inspires fear and panic in the town as the magistrate describes in the story?
10. What does Mai tell the magistrate about the girl who used to live with him there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During their trip back to the girl's family, the magistrate and the girl begin to grow closer and she becomes more appealing.
Part 1: Why do you think that difficult journeys often result in people growing closer together?
Part 2: Why do you think that the child begins to be more attractive as the journey continues?
Part 3: Do you think that the magistrate really is attracted to the girl? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Colonel seems to be a man who likes to torture others in order to get answers from others.
Part 1: Why do you think torture is used to get answers from others?
Part 2: Do you think that torture is an effective way to get answers from others? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the torture is affecting the people who are not being tortured?
Essay Topic 3
The magistrate decides to bring the girl back to her family as he's fed up with her and with her relationship.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate thought it was best to bring the girl back to her family?
Part 2: Do you think that it was a good idea for the magistrate to bring the girl back to her family? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the magistrate's life would have been different had he not tried to bring the girl back to her family?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)