|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Colonel Joll and his men find when they come into town for food and for new horses?
2. The ___________ that the barbarians arm against their invaders spread, encouraging angst and conflicts among the people.
3. The girl the magistrate seeks out is helping her ______________ while taking care of her babies.
4. When the magistrate tells Mandel that he is still awaiting trial, the magistrate learns there are no ____________ of him at all.
5. The _____________ control the town, being regarded as the only protection from the barbarians who still threaten the area.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the magistrate attempt to do in order to control his erections?
2. What do the men who are digging the wells find when they are beginning the process of constructing new wells?
3. What happens when the magistrate falls asleep in the room of one of the girls he used to sleep with?
4. What does the magistrate learn when he finally gets through the gate in order to leave?
5. What does the magistrate witness when he leaves the settlement and gets through the gate to get to the lakeside?
6. What is the sight that inspires fear and panic in the town as the magistrate describes in the story?
7. Why does Colonel Joll come to the town where the magistrate is now in control?
8. How does the magistrate suffer when he is imprisoned during his time in his cell?
9. What does the magistrate advise the people of the town to do in order to make it through the winter?
10. When does the magistrate believe the barbarians might be able to be defeated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The native girl became less of a human being during her torture, turning into a creature who believes in nothing.
Part 1: Why do you think the native girl became less of a human being during her torture?
Part 2: Do you think a person can become human again after suffering through torture?
Part 3: Do you think that you would become a create who believes in nothing if you were tortured? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The magistrate decides that it would be best to not dwell in the past and to move on in the future.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to avoid thinking about the past?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to focus only on the present? Why or why not?
Part 3: How would your life change if you were only able to focus on the present? Or wouldn't it?
Essay Topic 3
The sexual tension between the magistrate and the blind girl causes the magistrate to distance himself from the girl.
Part 1: Why do you think that the magistrate is so attracted to the blind girl?
Part 2: Does it make sense that the sexual frustration pushes the magistrate away?
Part 3: Why do you think that the magistrate and the blind girl don't just consummate their relationship?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)