|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Even when one of the soldiers is injured during the search for barbarians, the only soldiers just ____________ in response.
2. More ____________ are built for the barbarians tortured in front of their relatives as the story goes on.
3. The magistrate thinks the ___________ creates opportunities for both justice and injustice.
4. The magistrate learns that no one knows what happened to the ____________ who were unable to stay together.
5. When the magistrate shouts in protest of what is happening, a solider hits him in the _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the way the magistrate looks at the girl who he used to take pity on when she is tortured?
2. Why is the magistrate at odds with Mandel the policeman in the city where he is living?
3. When does the magistrate believe the barbarians might be able to be defeated?
4. What is the sight that inspires fear and panic in the town as the magistrate describes in the story?
5. What happens to the barbarians when they are locked up in their cells, according to the events the magistrate has witnessed?
6. What does Mai tell the magistrate about the girl who used to live with him there?
7. Why doesn't anyone want to gather wood in the area where the magistrate is now in control?
8. What happens to the magistrate as a result of not having any activities to do during his captivity?
9. How do the barbarians inspire fear which eventually turns into paranoia?
10. What does the magistrate witness when he leaves the settlement and gets through the gate to get to the lakeside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The magistrate seems to use sex in order to deal with some of his feelings.
Part 1: Why do you think that the magistrate uses sex to handle his feelings?
Part 2: Do you think that the magistrate's emotional state is healthy? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the magistrate should have used other methods to handle his feelings? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Colonel seems to be a man who likes to torture others in order to get answers from others.
Part 1: Why do you think torture is used to get answers from others?
Part 2: Do you think that torture is an effective way to get answers from others? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the torture is affecting the people who are not being tortured?
Essay Topic 3
The journey to take the girl back to her people seems to create a lot of conflict and doubt within the group.
Part 1: Do you think the journey was necessary for the story to progress? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think the magistrate changes during the course of this trip?
Part 3: Do you think that the magistrate needed to go on this journey with the others? Why or why not?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)