|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What destroys wildlife and creates more opportunities for the desert to advance into the area?
2. The magistrate recovers, finding himself interested in ___________ again during the new period of time in the settlement.
3. When the magistrate leaves the girl's apartment, he proceeds toward the ____________ gate where he goes unrecognized.
4. The magistrate decides it is best not to _______________ and to focus instead on what can be changed.
5. What do two barbarian men bring into the settlement on a horse in order to inspire fear in the people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the way the magistrate looks at the girl who he used to take pity on when she is tortured?
2. What does the magistrate advise the people of the town to do in order to make it through the winter?
3. What does the magistrate try to explain to the soldiers about the huts and the people who live in them?
4. What is the sight that inspires fear and panic in the town as the magistrate describes in the story?
5. What does Mai tell the magistrate about the girl who used to live with him there?
6. What does the magistrate learn about his status when he says he cannot be in power because he is awaiting trial?
7. What happens to the magistrate as a result of not having any activities to do during his captivity?
8. How does the magistrate suffer when he is imprisoned during his time in his cell?
9. When does the magistrate believe the barbarians might be able to be defeated?
10. What is regarded as the only form of protection from the barbarians, causing the town to shift in terms of population and control?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The men began to strike back at the Colonel, which seems to drive him away.
Part 1: Why do you think that the people felt comfortable enough to throw stones at the Colonel?
Part 2: Do you think that the people had a right to fight back against the Colonel? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that you would ever throw stones at a political leader or other person in power?
Essay Topic 2
The native girl became less of a human being during her torture, turning into a creature who believes in nothing.
Part 1: Why do you think the native girl became less of a human being during her torture?
Part 2: Do you think a person can become human again after suffering through torture?
Part 3: Do you think that you would become a create who believes in nothing if you were tortured? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The magistrate decides to bring the girl back to her family as he's fed up with her and with her relationship.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate thought it was best to bring the girl back to her family?
Part 2: Do you think that it was a good idea for the magistrate to bring the girl back to her family? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the magistrate's life would have been different had he not tried to bring the girl back to her family?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)