|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the magistrate end up escaping from his prison cell one day, though he returns later on?
2. The magistrate finds out that one of the charges against him involves __________ irregularities.
3. The magistrate's sexual tension remains, even though he used ____________ to help combat the problem.
4. More ____________ are built for the barbarians tortured in front of their relatives as the story goes on.
5. During Mandel's speech, some of his men return with ___________, including hens and cocks which are placed into the oven.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the magistrate as a result of not having any activities to do during his captivity?
2. What happens when the magistrate shouts out in protest during some tortures?
3. What do the people learn about the barbarians who lured the army into the desert?
4. What happens when the magistrate meets up with the warrant officer from the Third Bureau?
5. Why doesn't anyone want to gather wood in the area where the magistrate is now in control?
6. What does the magistrate try to explain to the soldiers about the huts and the people who live in them?
7. What do the men who are digging the wells find when they are beginning the process of constructing new wells?
8. Why is the magistrate at odds with Mandel the policeman in the city where he is living?
9. Why does Colonel Joll come to the town where the magistrate is now in control?
10. What happens to the way the magistrate looks at the girl who he used to take pity on when she is tortured?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The sexual tension between the magistrate and the blind girl causes the magistrate to distance himself from the girl.
Part 1: Why do you think that the magistrate is so attracted to the blind girl?
Part 2: Does it make sense that the sexual frustration pushes the magistrate away?
Part 3: Why do you think that the magistrate and the blind girl don't just consummate their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
The magistrate ends up helping a girl who is blind, taking her into his home and making her his maid.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to take in the blind girl?
Part 2: Why do you think the magistrate picks this girl out of all the others who are suffering?
Part 3: Would you have picked up a person from the side of the road to take into your home? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The men began to strike back at the Colonel, which seems to drive him away.
Part 1: Why do you think that the people felt comfortable enough to throw stones at the Colonel?
Part 2: Do you think that the people had a right to fight back against the Colonel? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that you would ever throw stones at a political leader or other person in power?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)