|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The girl the magistrate seeks out is helping her ______________ while taking care of her babies.
2. The barbarians lured the army into the ____________ cutting the horses loose along the way and vanished.
3. With _________ men guarding the town, the magistrate assumes the leadership in town along with legal administration.
4. The magistrate has misgivings about the native girl regretting his failure to _______________.
5. How does the magistrate end up escaping from his prison cell one day, though he returns later on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men who are digging the wells find when they are beginning the process of constructing new wells?
2. What are some of the hobbies that the magistrate goes back to after visiting and sleeping with Mai?
3. What does the Colonel do to the natives who have their cheeks wired and their wrists wired?
4. How do the barbarians inspire fear which eventually turns into paranoia?
5. What is regarded as the only form of protection from the barbarians, causing the town to shift in terms of population and control?
6. What does the magistrate advise the people of the town to do in order to make it through the winter?
7. What does the magistrate think he might write down if he were to write a record of the imperial post?
8. What does the magistrate try to explain to the soldiers about the huts and the people who live in them?
9. Why doesn't anyone want to gather wood in the area where the magistrate is now in control?
10. What is the magistrate feeling regret about as he is settling into a new life of survival?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The magistrate seems to use sex in order to deal with some of his feelings.
Part 1: Why do you think that the magistrate uses sex to handle his feelings?
Part 2: Do you think that the magistrate's emotional state is healthy? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the magistrate should have used other methods to handle his feelings? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The magistrate wants to distance himself from the atrocities which are going on in the area.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to distance himself from the horrors that are occurring?
Part 2: Would you want to distance yourself from the atrocities which were going on around you?
Part 3: Why do you think the magistrate doesn't want to fight back against those performing the torture?
Essay Topic 3
When the girl asks the magistrate whether he wants her back, he can not give her a straight answer.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate is unable to decide whether he wants the girl or not?
Part 2: Do you think the girl wants to be with the magistrate as they grow closer during their journey? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the magistrate and the girl would fare if they both admitted their feelings for each other?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)