|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The magistrate decides all he can do is to go on living even though his journey may be ________________.
2. The girl expresses concern about living in ___________________ for her and for her child's life.
3. While the magistrate is forced to live on the street, the barbarians hide while their ____________ are being destroyed.
4. Unable to defend themselves, the barbarians are vulnerable and deprived of their _______________ as a result.
5. The magistrate is also accused of making a trip to inform the ___________________ about the campaign against them.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't anyone want to gather wood in the area where the magistrate is now in control?
2. What does the magistrate learn about his status when he says he cannot be in power because he is awaiting trial?
3. What does the Colonel do to the natives who have their cheeks wired and their wrists wired?
4. What begins to spread among the soldiers as the rumors of the barbarians begin to spread more rapidly?
5. What do the men who are digging the wells find when they are beginning the process of constructing new wells?
6. What is the magistrate feeling regret about as he is settling into a new life of survival?
7. What does the magistrate learn when he finally gets through the gate in order to leave?
8. What does the magistrate witness when he leaves the settlement and gets through the gate to get to the lakeside?
9. What happens when the magistrate meets up with the warrant officer from the Third Bureau?
10. What does the magistrate try to explain to the soldiers about the huts and the people who live in them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The magistrate decides that it would be best to not dwell in the past and to move on in the future.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to avoid thinking about the past?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to focus only on the present? Why or why not?
Part 3: How would your life change if you were only able to focus on the present? Or wouldn't it?
Essay Topic 2
The sexual tension between the magistrate and the blind girl causes the magistrate to distance himself from the girl.
Part 1: Why do you think that the magistrate is so attracted to the blind girl?
Part 2: Does it make sense that the sexual frustration pushes the magistrate away?
Part 3: Why do you think that the magistrate and the blind girl don't just consummate their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
The men began to strike back at the Colonel, which seems to drive him away.
Part 1: Why do you think that the people felt comfortable enough to throw stones at the Colonel?
Part 2: Do you think that the people had a right to fight back against the Colonel? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that you would ever throw stones at a political leader or other person in power?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)