|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the magistrate when he makes the accusation he does in #92?
2. The barbarians like to hide in the _________________ and wait for the soldiers to go away.
3. The magistrate wanted to point out that it was worse to damage one's _____________ than to go ahead and to kill them.
4. ____________ are placed alongside the rampart to simulate the presence of armies in the town.
5. Even when one of the soldiers is injured during the search for barbarians, the only soldiers just ____________ in response.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is regarded as the only form of protection from the barbarians, causing the town to shift in terms of population and control?
2. How do the barbarians inspire fear which eventually turns into paranoia?
3. What happens to the magistrate as a result of not having any activities to do during his captivity?
4. What happens to the barbarians when they are locked up in their cells, according to the events the magistrate has witnessed?
5. What does the magistrate learn when he finally gets through the gate in order to leave?
6. What does the magistrate try to explain to the soldiers about the huts and the people who live in them?
7. What does the magistrate begin to believe about the consistency of the law as seen in the cases he has previously conducted?
8. What happens when the magistrate falls asleep in the room of one of the girls he used to sleep with?
9. What happens to the way the magistrate looks at the girl who he used to take pity on when she is tortured?
10. Why does Colonel Joll come to the town where the magistrate is now in control?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The magistrate seems to use sex in order to deal with some of his feelings.
Part 1: Why do you think that the magistrate uses sex to handle his feelings?
Part 2: Do you think that the magistrate's emotional state is healthy? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the magistrate should have used other methods to handle his feelings? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
During their trip back to the girl's family, the magistrate and the girl begin to grow closer and she becomes more appealing.
Part 1: Why do you think that difficult journeys often result in people growing closer together?
Part 2: Why do you think that the child begins to be more attractive as the journey continues?
Part 3: Do you think that the magistrate really is attracted to the girl? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The magistrate becomes confused as he begins to be attracted to the girl who he meets and brings into his home.
Part 1: Why do you think that the magistrate is attracted to the girl he's brought into his home?
Part 2: Do you think that the girl is attracted to the magistrate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think these two people are drawn to each other in this story?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)