|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The magistrate prefers to bear the ___________ himself rather than to leave it for someone else to bear.
2. The magistrate accuses the ______ of triggering conflicts, being more barbaric than the barbarians themselves.
3. The soldiers use a _________ to search the empty huts that belong to the fishermen who are living nearby.
4. Only when the barbarians realize they cannot live without the skills of the ____________, perhaps then they can be won.
5. What is NOT one of the things the magistrate feels the Empire is condoning as a part of this conflicted time?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does the magistrate believe the barbarians might be able to be defeated?
2. What happens when the magistrate meets up with the warrant officer from the Third Bureau?
3. What does the magistrate think he might write down if he were to write a record of the imperial post?
4. What does the magistrate witness when he leaves the settlement and gets through the gate to get to the lakeside?
5. What does the magistrate attempt to do in order to control his erections?
6. How do the barbarians inspire fear which eventually turns into paranoia?
7. What happens to the barbarians when they are locked up in their cells, according to the events the magistrate has witnessed?
8. What do the men who are digging the wells find when they are beginning the process of constructing new wells?
9. What does the magistrate learn when he finally gets through the gate in order to leave?
10. What is the sight that inspires fear and panic in the town as the magistrate describes in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The journey to take the girl back to her people seems to create a lot of conflict and doubt within the group.
Part 1: Do you think the journey was necessary for the story to progress? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think the magistrate changes during the course of this trip?
Part 3: Do you think that the magistrate needed to go on this journey with the others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The magistrate is supposed to have a trial in order to have issues about his performance handled, but the colonel does not want this to happen.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to have his case handled by a trial?
Part 2: How do you think the problems of a magistrate should be handled?
Part 3: Why do you think the colonel doesn't want a trial to happen?
Essay Topic 3
The men began to strike back at the Colonel, which seems to drive him away.
Part 1: Why do you think that the people felt comfortable enough to throw stones at the Colonel?
Part 2: Do you think that the people had a right to fight back against the Colonel? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that you would ever throw stones at a political leader or other person in power?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)