|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With _________ men guarding the town, the magistrate assumes the leadership in town along with legal administration.
2. The girl expresses concern about living in ___________________ for her and for her child's life.
3. The magistrate thinks that his method of recording information now would include ______________ through seasons and nature.
4. The troops return from their mission with the natives who have their cheeks and their wrists ____________.
5. During Mandel's speech, some of his men return with ___________, including hens and cocks which are placed into the oven.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Colonel do to the natives who have their cheeks wired and their wrists wired?
2. What is regarded as the only form of protection from the barbarians, causing the town to shift in terms of population and control?
3. Why doesn't anyone want to gather wood in the area where the magistrate is now in control?
4. How do the barbarians inspire fear which eventually turns into paranoia?
5. When does the magistrate believe the barbarians might be able to be defeated?
6. What does the magistrate attempt to do in order to control his erections?
7. Why is the magistrate at odds with Mandel the policeman in the city where he is living?
8. What does the magistrate witness when he leaves the settlement and gets through the gate to get to the lakeside?
9. What happens when the magistrate falls asleep in the room of one of the girls he used to sleep with?
10. What does the magistrate learn when he finally gets through the gate in order to leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The magistrate realizes that the law creates opportunities for both justice and injustice.
Part 1: Why do you think the law can create good and bad results?
Part 2: Do you think the law should only create opportunities for justice? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you feel about the law? Do you think it's designed always for good? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When the girl asks the magistrate whether he wants her back, he can not give her a straight answer.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate is unable to decide whether he wants the girl or not?
Part 2: Do you think the girl wants to be with the magistrate as they grow closer during their journey? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the magistrate and the girl would fare if they both admitted their feelings for each other?
Essay Topic 3
The magistrate decides to bring the girl back to her family as he's fed up with her and with her relationship.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate thought it was best to bring the girl back to her family?
Part 2: Do you think that it was a good idea for the magistrate to bring the girl back to her family? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the magistrate's life would have been different had he not tried to bring the girl back to her family?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)