|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the magistrate when he makes the accusation he does in #92?
2. When the magistrate shouts in protest of what is happening, a solider hits him in the _______________.
3. The troops return from their mission with the natives who have their cheeks and their wrists ____________.
4. The magistrate thinks that his method of recording information now would include ______________ through seasons and nature.
5. The magistrate is in charge of new __________ which are being built at the same time as the farming begins.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't anyone want to gather wood in the area where the magistrate is now in control?
2. What does the magistrate learn about his status when he says he cannot be in power because he is awaiting trial?
3. What happens when the magistrate meets up with the warrant officer from the Third Bureau?
4. What do the people learn about the barbarians who lured the army into the desert?
5. What does the magistrate witness when he leaves the settlement and gets through the gate to get to the lakeside?
6. Why does Colonel Joll come to the town where the magistrate is now in control?
7. What happens to the way the magistrate looks at the girl who he used to take pity on when she is tortured?
8. What begins to spread among the soldiers as the rumors of the barbarians begin to spread more rapidly?
9. What happens to the barbarians when they are locked up in their cells, according to the events the magistrate has witnessed?
10. What does the magistrate begin to believe about the consistency of the law as seen in the cases he has previously conducted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the girl asks the magistrate whether he wants her back, he can not give her a straight answer.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate is unable to decide whether he wants the girl or not?
Part 2: Do you think the girl wants to be with the magistrate as they grow closer during their journey? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the magistrate and the girl would fare if they both admitted their feelings for each other?
Essay Topic 2
The Colonel was sent to investigate rumors in the location so as to settle the area and to make things easier for the uprising.
Part 1: Why do you think rumors are so dangerous in times of war?
Part 2: Do you think that rumors can ever be completely dispelled?
Part 3: Do you listen to all of the rumors you hear? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The magistrate becomes confused as he begins to be attracted to the girl who he meets and brings into his home.
Part 1: Why do you think that the magistrate is attracted to the girl he's brought into his home?
Part 2: Do you think that the girl is attracted to the magistrate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think these two people are drawn to each other in this story?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)