|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people throw at Colonel Joll's carriage when he and his men decide to leave?
2. The native girl, as she was tortured, turned into a creature who believes in ______________, only awaiting her end.
3. When the magistrate shouts in protest of what is happening, a solider hits him in the _______________.
4. The barbarians appear in other places, being cheated as they try to trade with _____________, according to the magistrate's observations.
5. The magistrate is doubtful of his ability to instill ______________ when excising his judicial duties.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Colonel do to the natives who have their cheeks wired and their wrists wired?
2. What happens when the magistrate falls asleep in the room of one of the girls he used to sleep with?
3. What does the magistrate think he might write down if he were to write a record of the imperial post?
4. When does the magistrate believe the barbarians might be able to be defeated?
5. What is regarded as the only form of protection from the barbarians, causing the town to shift in terms of population and control?
6. What does the magistrate advise the people of the town to do in order to make it through the winter?
7. What do the people learn about the barbarians who lured the army into the desert?
8. What does the magistrate learn about his status when he says he cannot be in power because he is awaiting trial?
9. How do the barbarians inspire fear which eventually turns into paranoia?
10. What does the magistrate witness when he leaves the settlement and gets through the gate to get to the lakeside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Colonel seems to be a man who likes to torture others in order to get answers from others.
Part 1: Why do you think torture is used to get answers from others?
Part 2: Do you think that torture is an effective way to get answers from others? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the torture is affecting the people who are not being tortured?
Essay Topic 2
When the girl asks the magistrate whether he wants her back, he can not give her a straight answer.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate is unable to decide whether he wants the girl or not?
Part 2: Do you think the girl wants to be with the magistrate as they grow closer during their journey? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the magistrate and the girl would fare if they both admitted their feelings for each other?
Essay Topic 3
The men began to strike back at the Colonel, which seems to drive him away.
Part 1: Why do you think that the people felt comfortable enough to throw stones at the Colonel?
Part 2: Do you think that the people had a right to fight back against the Colonel? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that you would ever throw stones at a political leader or other person in power?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)