|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do two barbarian men bring into the settlement on a horse in order to inspire fear in the people?
2. What happens to the magistrate when he makes the accusation he does in #92?
3. _______________ barricade the gates in order to protect themselves from the approach of the barbarians.
4. The magistrate thinks that his method of recording information now would include ______________ through seasons and nature.
5. The girl that the magistrate loved became less and less of a ___________ when she was being tortured by the army.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the magistrate begin to believe about the consistency of the law as seen in the cases he has previously conducted?
2. What happens with the fire that is being set along the riverbanks?
3. What happens to the magistrate as a result of not having any activities to do during his captivity?
4. What does the magistrate try to explain to the soldiers about the huts and the people who live in them?
5. What happens to the way the magistrate looks at the girl who he used to take pity on when she is tortured?
6. What are some of the hobbies that the magistrate goes back to after visiting and sleeping with Mai?
7. How do the barbarians inspire fear which eventually turns into paranoia?
8. Why doesn't anyone want to gather wood in the area where the magistrate is now in control?
9. What happens when the magistrate meets up with the warrant officer from the Third Bureau?
10. What is regarded as the only form of protection from the barbarians, causing the town to shift in terms of population and control?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the girl asks the magistrate whether he wants her back, he can not give her a straight answer.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate is unable to decide whether he wants the girl or not?
Part 2: Do you think the girl wants to be with the magistrate as they grow closer during their journey? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the magistrate and the girl would fare if they both admitted their feelings for each other?
Essay Topic 2
The magistrate realizes that the law creates opportunities for both justice and injustice.
Part 1: Why do you think the law can create good and bad results?
Part 2: Do you think the law should only create opportunities for justice? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you feel about the law? Do you think it's designed always for good? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The magistrate decides to bring the girl back to her family as he's fed up with her and with her relationship.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate thought it was best to bring the girl back to her family?
Part 2: Do you think that it was a good idea for the magistrate to bring the girl back to her family? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the magistrate's life would have been different had he not tried to bring the girl back to her family?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)