|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The barbarians lured the army into the ____________ cutting the horses loose along the way and vanished.
2. The magistrate finds out that one of the charges against him involves __________ irregularities.
3. The girl that the magistrate loved became less and less of a ___________ when she was being tortured by the army.
4. More ____________ are built for the barbarians tortured in front of their relatives as the story goes on.
5. The magistrate is released from prison without any means of ____________ at this time.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mai tell the magistrate about the girl who used to live with him there?
2. What happens to the barbarians when they are locked up in their cells, according to the events the magistrate has witnessed?
3. What does the magistrate witness when he leaves the settlement and gets through the gate to get to the lakeside?
4. What is the sight that inspires fear and panic in the town as the magistrate describes in the story?
5. How does the magistrate suffer when he is imprisoned during his time in his cell?
6. What happens when the magistrate shouts out in protest during some tortures?
7. What happens with the fire that is being set along the riverbanks?
8. What happens to the way the magistrate looks at the girl who he used to take pity on when she is tortured?
9. Why does Colonel Joll come to the town where the magistrate is now in control?
10. What do the people learn about the barbarians who lured the army into the desert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The men began to strike back at the Colonel, which seems to drive him away.
Part 1: Why do you think that the people felt comfortable enough to throw stones at the Colonel?
Part 2: Do you think that the people had a right to fight back against the Colonel? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that you would ever throw stones at a political leader or other person in power?
Essay Topic 2
The magistrate becomes confused as he begins to be attracted to the girl who he meets and brings into his home.
Part 1: Why do you think that the magistrate is attracted to the girl he's brought into his home?
Part 2: Do you think that the girl is attracted to the magistrate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think these two people are drawn to each other in this story?
Essay Topic 3
The magistrate wants to distance himself from the atrocities which are going on in the area.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to distance himself from the horrors that are occurring?
Part 2: Would you want to distance yourself from the atrocities which were going on around you?
Part 3: Why do you think the magistrate doesn't want to fight back against those performing the torture?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)