|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The troops return from their mission with the natives who have their cheeks and their wrists ____________.
2. The magistrate decides it is best not to _______________ and to focus instead on what can be changed.
3. The soldiers use a _________ to search the empty huts that belong to the fishermen who are living nearby.
4. The magistrate's lack of ___________ encourages endless analysis of what's happened and what might happen.
5. The magistrate lives from ___________________, getting supplies from friends and from women he used to know well.
Short Essay Questions
1. What begins to spread among the soldiers as the rumors of the barbarians begin to spread more rapidly?
2. What does the magistrate attempt to do in order to control his erections?
3. What does the magistrate think he might write down if he were to write a record of the imperial post?
4. What is regarded as the only form of protection from the barbarians, causing the town to shift in terms of population and control?
5. Why is the magistrate at odds with Mandel the policeman in the city where he is living?
6. What do the people learn about the barbarians who lured the army into the desert?
7. What happens with the fire that is being set along the riverbanks?
8. What does the Colonel do to the natives who have their cheeks wired and their wrists wired?
9. How do the barbarians inspire fear which eventually turns into paranoia?
10. When does the magistrate believe the barbarians might be able to be defeated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The barbarians are stealing from others and inspiring fear wherever they go.
Part 1: Why do you think the barbarians are able to inspire fear among the people?
Part 2: How do you think the barbarians can be stopped? Or can't they?
Part 3: Why do you think that the barbarians are trying to steal from others and to take over the countryside?
Essay Topic 2
Even children are being tortured during the atrocities in this African novel.
Part 1: Why do you think that even children are being tortured during this time?
Part 2: Do you think it's right to torture children during times of war? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think children should be treated in times of war? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The native girl became less of a human being during her torture, turning into a creature who believes in nothing.
Part 1: Why do you think the native girl became less of a human being during her torture?
Part 2: Do you think a person can become human again after suffering through torture?
Part 3: Do you think that you would become a create who believes in nothing if you were tortured? Why or why not?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)