|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With _________ men guarding the town, the magistrate assumes the leadership in town along with legal administration.
2. What do Colonel Joll and his men find when they come into town for food and for new horses?
3. What does the magistrate demand in order to answer the accusations which are made against him?
4. The troops return from their mission with the natives who have their cheeks and their wrists ____________.
5. What does the magistrate end up suffering through when he sneaks into a girl's bedroom in order to hide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the magistrate shouts out in protest during some tortures?
2. Why is the magistrate at odds with Mandel the policeman in the city where he is living?
3. What happens to the magistrate as a result of not having any activities to do during his captivity?
4. What begins to spread among the soldiers as the rumors of the barbarians begin to spread more rapidly?
5. What does the magistrate begin to believe about the consistency of the law as seen in the cases he has previously conducted?
6. What is the magistrate feeling regret about as he is settling into a new life of survival?
7. What do the people learn about the barbarians who lured the army into the desert?
8. What is regarded as the only form of protection from the barbarians, causing the town to shift in terms of population and control?
9. What does the magistrate learn when he finally gets through the gate in order to leave?
10. What does the magistrate try to explain to the soldiers about the huts and the people who live in them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The barbarians are stealing from others and inspiring fear wherever they go.
Part 1: Why do you think the barbarians are able to inspire fear among the people?
Part 2: How do you think the barbarians can be stopped? Or can't they?
Part 3: Why do you think that the barbarians are trying to steal from others and to take over the countryside?
Essay Topic 2
During their trip back to the girl's family, the magistrate and the girl begin to grow closer and she becomes more appealing.
Part 1: Why do you think that difficult journeys often result in people growing closer together?
Part 2: Why do you think that the child begins to be more attractive as the journey continues?
Part 3: Do you think that the magistrate really is attracted to the girl? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The magistrate decides to bring the girl back to her family as he's fed up with her and with her relationship.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate thought it was best to bring the girl back to her family?
Part 2: Do you think that it was a good idea for the magistrate to bring the girl back to her family? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the magistrate's life would have been different had he not tried to bring the girl back to her family?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)