|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The magistrate is released from prison without any means of ____________ at this time.
2. The magistrate decides it is best not to _______________ and to focus instead on what can be changed.
3. The magistrate does not think his record in the imperial post would include a recollection of _______________.
4. When the magistrate shouts in protest of what is happening, a solider hits him in the _______________.
5. The magistrate would have to consider performing his duties with caution as __________________ is quickly forgotten in outback places.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mai tell the magistrate about the girl who used to live with him there?
2. How do the barbarians inspire fear which eventually turns into paranoia?
3. What do the people learn about the barbarians who lured the army into the desert?
4. What is the sight that inspires fear and panic in the town as the magistrate describes in the story?
5. What happens with the fire that is being set along the riverbanks?
6. What does the magistrate learn when he finally gets through the gate in order to leave?
7. What happens when the magistrate falls asleep in the room of one of the girls he used to sleep with?
8. What happens to the magistrate as a result of not having any activities to do during his captivity?
9. What happens when the magistrate shouts out in protest during some tortures?
10. What does the magistrate attempt to do in order to control his erections?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The barbarians are stealing from others and inspiring fear wherever they go.
Part 1: Why do you think the barbarians are able to inspire fear among the people?
Part 2: How do you think the barbarians can be stopped? Or can't they?
Part 3: Why do you think that the barbarians are trying to steal from others and to take over the countryside?
Essay Topic 2
The magistrate becomes confused as he begins to be attracted to the girl who he meets and brings into his home.
Part 1: Why do you think that the magistrate is attracted to the girl he's brought into his home?
Part 2: Do you think that the girl is attracted to the magistrate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think these two people are drawn to each other in this story?
Essay Topic 3
When the girl asks the magistrate whether he wants her back, he can not give her a straight answer.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate is unable to decide whether he wants the girl or not?
Part 2: Do you think the girl wants to be with the magistrate as they grow closer during their journey? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the magistrate and the girl would fare if they both admitted their feelings for each other?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)