|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl who the magistrate seeks out in order to help him with his tension?
2. The magistrate is also questioned about his relationship to _______________ during his accusations.
3. What is the magistrate deprived of when he is imprisoned for his various accusations and alleged crimes?
4. Unhappy with their relationship, the native girl used to ____________ to deal with the confusion and the pain.
5. As the magistrate sits and thinks about his feelings for the native girl, he questions his ____________ for her.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the magistrate suffer when he is imprisoned during his time in his cell?
2. Why does Colonel Joll come to the town where the magistrate is now in control?
3. When does the magistrate believe the barbarians might be able to be defeated?
4. What does the magistrate try to explain to the soldiers about the huts and the people who live in them?
5. What happens when the magistrate meets up with the warrant officer from the Third Bureau?
6. What do the people learn about the barbarians who lured the army into the desert?
7. What does the magistrate learn when he finally gets through the gate in order to leave?
8. What happens to the way the magistrate looks at the girl who he used to take pity on when she is tortured?
9. What are some of the hobbies that the magistrate goes back to after visiting and sleeping with Mai?
10. What happens to the magistrate as a result of not having any activities to do during his captivity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The native girl became less of a human being during her torture, turning into a creature who believes in nothing.
Part 1: Why do you think the native girl became less of a human being during her torture?
Part 2: Do you think a person can become human again after suffering through torture?
Part 3: Do you think that you would become a create who believes in nothing if you were tortured? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Those in the military seem to be be paranoid about everyone and their intentions, no matter what side they seem to be on.
Part 1: Why do you think that military leaders are so suspicious of others?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to be suspicious of everyone around you? Why or why not?
Part 3:How do you think that military leaders should treat each other during times of conflict?
Essay Topic 3
During their trip back to the girl's family, the magistrate and the girl begin to grow closer and she becomes more appealing.
Part 1: Why do you think that difficult journeys often result in people growing closer together?
Part 2: Why do you think that the child begins to be more attractive as the journey continues?
Part 3: Do you think that the magistrate really is attracted to the girl? Why or why not?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)