|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The magistrate recovers, finding himself interested in ___________ again during the new period of time in the settlement.
2. ________________ Mandel want the magistrate to get back to work in the settlement, according to the story.
3. The _________ is set to assure protection cleaning the river banks at the same time for the army and its members.
4. The girl tells the magistrate that the native girl never knew what he _____________ of her and was never able to understand him.
5. Mandel seems to be unaffected by the ____________ of other people, which puts the magistrate at odds with him.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the magistrate learn about his status when he says he cannot be in power because he is awaiting trial?
2. What happens to the way the magistrate looks at the girl who he used to take pity on when she is tortured?
3. What begins to spread among the soldiers as the rumors of the barbarians begin to spread more rapidly?
4. What happens with the fire that is being set along the riverbanks?
5. What does the Colonel do to the natives who have their cheeks wired and their wrists wired?
6. What are some of the hobbies that the magistrate goes back to after visiting and sleeping with Mai?
7. How do the barbarians inspire fear which eventually turns into paranoia?
8. What does the magistrate begin to believe about the consistency of the law as seen in the cases he has previously conducted?
9. What is regarded as the only form of protection from the barbarians, causing the town to shift in terms of population and control?
10. Why is the magistrate at odds with Mandel the policeman in the city where he is living?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The barbarians are stealing from others and inspiring fear wherever they go.
Part 1: Why do you think the barbarians are able to inspire fear among the people?
Part 2: How do you think the barbarians can be stopped? Or can't they?
Part 3: Why do you think that the barbarians are trying to steal from others and to take over the countryside?
Essay Topic 2
The Colonel was sent to investigate rumors in the location so as to settle the area and to make things easier for the uprising.
Part 1: Why do you think rumors are so dangerous in times of war?
Part 2: Do you think that rumors can ever be completely dispelled?
Part 3: Do you listen to all of the rumors you hear? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Those in the military seem to be be paranoid about everyone and their intentions, no matter what side they seem to be on.
Part 1: Why do you think that military leaders are so suspicious of others?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to be suspicious of everyone around you? Why or why not?
Part 3:How do you think that military leaders should treat each other during times of conflict?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)