|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl who the magistrate seeks out in order to help him with his tension?
2. The magistrate is ashamed of the impact that the Empire had on the _____________________.
3. What is NOT one of the things the magistrate feels the Empire is condoning as a part of this conflicted time?
4. The magistrate asks Mandel how he can __________ and get on with his life as the people are being tortured.
5. The magistrate advises everyone to grow _________ so that they can survive the winter and attacks.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The magistrate becomes confused as he begins to be attracted to the girl who he meets and brings into his home.
Part 1: Why do you think that the magistrate is attracted to the girl he's brought into his home?
Part 2: Do you think that the girl is attracted to the magistrate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think these two people are drawn to each other in this story?
Essay Topic 2
The magistrate decides that it would be best to not dwell in the past and to move on in the future.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to avoid thinking about the past?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to focus only on the present? Why or why not?
Part 3: How would your life change if you were only able to focus on the present? Or wouldn't it?
Essay Topic 3
Those in the military seem to be be paranoid about everyone and their intentions, no matter what side they seem to be on.
Part 1: Why do you think that military leaders are so suspicious of others?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to be suspicious of everyone around you? Why or why not?
Part 3:How do you think that military leaders should treat each other during times of conflict?
This section contains 1,621 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)