|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the magistrate notice that makes him realize that he can not survive there?
(a) A raging illness.
(b) A barren silo.
(c) The many guards.
(d) Ruined crops.
2. Only when the barbarians realize they cannot live without the skills of the ____________, perhaps then they can be won.
(b) White men.
3. _____________ spreads among the soldiers in response to the new news about the barbarians and their actions.
4. The magistrate tries to explain that the people who live in the huts hide from the barbarians in the ______________.
5. The magistrate is released from prison without any means of ____________ at this time.
(c) Going to court.
Short Answer Questions
1. The power of the Empire is derived from the infliction of pain on the ___________, a sign of victory over this group.
2. What happens to make surviving tougher during this particular section of the book and the story?
3. The magistrate's lack of ___________ encourages endless analysis of what's happened and what might happen.
4. As the guards tighten the wires of the prisoners, they then force the prisoners to _____________ in the area where they are taken.
5. What happens to the magistrate when he makes the accusation he does in #92?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the magistrate try to explain to the soldiers about the huts and the people who live in them?
2. What happens with the fire that is being set along the riverbanks?
3. How does the magistrate suffer when he is imprisoned during his time in his cell?
4. What do the people learn about the barbarians who lured the army into the desert?
5. When does the magistrate believe the barbarians might be able to be defeated?
6. What happens when the magistrate falls asleep in the room of one of the girls he used to sleep with?
7. What does the magistrate witness when he leaves the settlement and gets through the gate to get to the lakeside?
8. What begins to spread among the soldiers as the rumors of the barbarians begin to spread more rapidly?
9. What happens to the magistrate as a result of not having any activities to do during his captivity?
10. What is the magistrate feeling regret about as he is settling into a new life of survival?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)