|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Some of the ____________ decide to leave because of the rumors which begin to spread in the settlement.
2. What happens to the magistrate when he makes the accusation he does in #92?
(a) He is promoted.
(b) He is sent away.
(c) He is killed.
(d) He is imprisoned.
3. ________________ Mandel want the magistrate to get back to work in the settlement, according to the story.
4. Unhappy with their relationship, the native girl used to ____________ to deal with the confusion and the pain.
(a) Sleep with other men.
(b) Run away.
(c) Take drugs.
5. As the magistrate sits and thinks about his feelings for the native girl, he questions his ____________ for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. ______________ who pass by every now and then move them as if the soldiers move the items as though the soldiers moved.
2. The magistrate is also questioned about his relationship to _______________ during his accusations.
3. Where does Mandel hit the magistrate when the magistrate speaks up with his query in question #130?
4. During Mandel's speech, some of his men return with ___________, including hens and cocks which are placed into the oven.
5. The officer the magistrate has spoken with seems to be equally capable of ___________ as of fulfilling his duties.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the hobbies that the magistrate goes back to after visiting and sleeping with Mai?
2. What happens to the way the magistrate looks at the girl who he used to take pity on when she is tortured?
3. What happens when the magistrate meets up with the warrant officer from the Third Bureau?
4. What does the magistrate try to explain to the soldiers about the huts and the people who live in them?
5. What do the people learn about the barbarians who lured the army into the desert?
6. Why does Colonel Joll come to the town where the magistrate is now in control?
7. When does the magistrate believe the barbarians might be able to be defeated?
8. What does the magistrate begin to believe about the consistency of the law as seen in the cases he has previously conducted?
9. What does the magistrate witness when he leaves the settlement and gets through the gate to get to the lakeside?
10. What begins to spread among the soldiers as the rumors of the barbarians begin to spread more rapidly?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)