|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The soldiers were left by the barbarians to freeze in the _____________ and to starve in the desert.
2. ____________ are placed alongside the rampart to simulate the presence of armies in the town.
3. What is the name of the girl who the magistrate seeks out in order to help him with his tension?
4. What do people throw at Colonel Joll's carriage when he and his men decide to leave?
5. The magistrate recovers, finding himself interested in ___________ again during the new period of time in the settlement.
(a) The law.
(d) The Colonel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the magistrate notice that makes him realize that he can not survive there?
2. Men who dig wells in the area find __________________ behind the barracks in a place that seems to be a grave.
3. The magistrate is also accused of making a trip to inform the ___________________ about the campaign against them.
4. The magistrate lives from ___________________, getting supplies from friends and from women he used to know well.
5. What is NOT one of the things the magistrate feels the Empire is condoning as a part of this conflicted time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the magistrate at odds with Mandel the policeman in the city where he is living?
2. What are some of the hobbies that the magistrate goes back to after visiting and sleeping with Mai?
3. What does the magistrate try to explain to the soldiers about the huts and the people who live in them?
4. What happens when the magistrate meets up with the warrant officer from the Third Bureau?
5. What does the magistrate begin to believe about the consistency of the law as seen in the cases he has previously conducted?
6. What does the magistrate learn when he finally gets through the gate in order to leave?
7. When does the magistrate believe the barbarians might be able to be defeated?
8. How does the magistrate suffer when he is imprisoned during his time in his cell?
9. What happens to the magistrate as a result of not having any activities to do during his captivity?
10. What is regarded as the only form of protection from the barbarians, causing the town to shift in terms of population and control?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)