|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ____________ are placed alongside the rampart to simulate the presence of armies in the town.
2. The magistrate finds out that one of the charges against him involves __________ irregularities.
3. What is NOT one of the magistrate's old hobbies that he takes up after deciding to swear off women?
(a) Collecting bones.
(b) Looking at ancient writing.
(c) Collecting stones.
(d) Deciphering writing.
4. When the magistrate leaves the girl's apartment, he proceeds toward the ____________ gate where he goes unrecognized.
5. The magistrate asks Mandel how he can __________ and get on with his life as the people are being tortured.
Short Answer Questions
1. The magistrate is released from prison without any means of ____________ at this time.
2. The magistrate realizes that visiting the women was a mistake and that he should just _________________.
3. The magistrate thinks that his method of recording information now would include ______________ through seasons and nature.
4. With _________ men guarding the town, the magistrate assumes the leadership in town along with legal administration.
5. The magistrate finds it difficult to get used to ______________ in the humiliation of his imprisonment.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the magistrate learn when he finally gets through the gate in order to leave?
2. What is the magistrate feeling regret about as he is settling into a new life of survival?
3. What happens when the magistrate meets up with the warrant officer from the Third Bureau?
4. Why doesn't anyone want to gather wood in the area where the magistrate is now in control?
5. What happens to the magistrate as a result of not having any activities to do during his captivity?
6. How does the magistrate suffer when he is imprisoned during his time in his cell?
7. What happens when the magistrate shouts out in protest during some tortures?
8. How do the barbarians inspire fear which eventually turns into paranoia?
9. What happens with the fire that is being set along the riverbanks?
10. When does the magistrate believe the barbarians might be able to be defeated?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)