|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The soldiers use a _________ to search the empty huts that belong to the fishermen who are living nearby.
2. The magistrate is released from prison without any means of ____________ at this time.
(b) Going to court.
3. Only when the barbarians realize they cannot live without the skills of the ____________, perhaps then they can be won.
(d) White men.
4. What do two barbarian men bring into the settlement on a horse in order to inspire fear in the people?
(a) Severed limbs.
(b) Dead man.
(c) A dead horse.
5. The magistrate would have to consider performing his duties with caution as __________________ is quickly forgotten in outback places.
Short Answer Questions
1. ______________ who pass by every now and then move them as if the soldiers move the items as though the soldiers moved.
2. The ___________ that the barbarians arm against their invaders spread, encouraging angst and conflicts among the people.
3. What does the magistrate demand in order to answer the accusations which are made against him?
4. The magistrate realizes that visiting the women was a mistake and that he should just _________________.
5. What is the name of the girl who the magistrate seeks out in order to help him with his tension?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the magistrate at odds with Mandel the policeman in the city where he is living?
2. Why doesn't anyone want to gather wood in the area where the magistrate is now in control?
3. What happens when the magistrate shouts out in protest during some tortures?
4. How do the barbarians inspire fear which eventually turns into paranoia?
5. What does Mai tell the magistrate about the girl who used to live with him there?
6. What happens when the magistrate meets up with the warrant officer from the Third Bureau?
7. What happens with the fire that is being set along the riverbanks?
8. What is the magistrate feeling regret about as he is settling into a new life of survival?
9. What begins to spread among the soldiers as the rumors of the barbarians begin to spread more rapidly?
10. What happens to the magistrate as a result of not having any activities to do during his captivity?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)