|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the magistrate end up suffering through when he sneaks into a girl's bedroom in order to hide?
(a) A man's accusations that he killed someone.
(b) Being under the bed while two people have sex.
(c) The girl's cries for freedom.
2. What does the magistrate return to the crowd with after he can't stand to see the sight of the natives at first?
(c) Bucket of water.
3. The magistrate asks Mandel how he can __________ and get on with his life as the people are being tortured.
4. Unable to defend themselves, the barbarians are vulnerable and deprived of their _______________ as a result.
5. When the magistrate tells Mandel that he is still awaiting trial, the magistrate learns there are no ____________ of him at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. Children gather __________ which are then smoked and packed away for the coming months and seasons.
2. What is NOT one of the things the magistrate feels the Empire is condoning as a part of this conflicted time?
3. The magistrate's lack of ___________ encourages endless analysis of what's happened and what might happen.
4. The magistrate does not think his record in the imperial post would include a recollection of _______________.
5. The officer the magistrate has spoken with seems to be equally capable of ___________ as of fulfilling his duties.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is regarded as the only form of protection from the barbarians, causing the town to shift in terms of population and control?
2. What does the magistrate learn about his status when he says he cannot be in power because he is awaiting trial?
3. What does the magistrate think he might write down if he were to write a record of the imperial post?
4. What is the magistrate feeling regret about as he is settling into a new life of survival?
5. What are some of the hobbies that the magistrate goes back to after visiting and sleeping with Mai?
6. When does the magistrate believe the barbarians might be able to be defeated?
7. Why does Colonel Joll come to the town where the magistrate is now in control?
8. What happens when the magistrate falls asleep in the room of one of the girls he used to sleep with?
9. What happens to the way the magistrate looks at the girl who he used to take pity on when she is tortured?
10. What happens with the fire that is being set along the riverbanks?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)