|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The magistrate does not think his record in the imperial post would include a recollection of _______________.
2. The troops return from their mission with the natives who have their cheeks and their wrists ____________.
(c) Cut off.
3. Mandel seems to be unaffected by the ____________ of other people, which puts the magistrate at odds with him.
4. Where does the magistrate first go when he decides that he wants to leave the settlement?
(c) A fruit store.
(d) Girl's grave.
5. Colonel Joll approaches the prisoners and uses dust to write the word ______________ on their backs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Children gather __________ which are then smoked and packed away for the coming months and seasons.
2. The soldiers use a _________ to search the empty huts that belong to the fishermen who are living nearby.
3. The magistrate tries to explain that the people who live in the huts hide from the barbarians in the ______________.
4. The girl that the magistrate loved became less and less of a ___________ when she was being tortured by the army.
5. The officer the magistrate has spoken with seems to be equally capable of ___________ as of fulfilling his duties.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the magistrate shouts out in protest during some tortures?
2. What does the magistrate learn about his status when he says he cannot be in power because he is awaiting trial?
3. Why doesn't anyone want to gather wood in the area where the magistrate is now in control?
4. What does the magistrate attempt to do in order to control his erections?
5. What happens when the magistrate falls asleep in the room of one of the girls he used to sleep with?
6. How do the barbarians inspire fear which eventually turns into paranoia?
7. What is the magistrate feeling regret about as he is settling into a new life of survival?
8. What do the people learn about the barbarians who lured the army into the desert?
9. What begins to spread among the soldiers as the rumors of the barbarians begin to spread more rapidly?
10. When does the magistrate believe the barbarians might be able to be defeated?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)