|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The magistrate thinks the barbarians became corrupted because they lost their _________ somewhere along the way.
2. The magistrate separates their _____________ and begins to resume his normal social life.
3. What do the men think is associated with bad luck, so they have to perform a purification ritual before continuing on?
(b) Dead horses.
(c) A long journey.
(d) Little food.
4. Who becomes more open as the journey progresses, conversing with the soldiers freely?
(a) The magistrate.
(b) The nurse.
(c) The leader.
(d) The girl.
5. Who is the one being tortured which causes the person from #16 to react in the way that he/she does?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the blind girl seem to agree to do on a daily basis, though there has been no conversation?
2. Who does the magistrate blame for all of the trouble that is happening among the people who are prisoners?
3. Even though the winter has passed, the wind blowing through the ice makes ___________ difficult for the men.
4. What does the magistrate offer in exchange for the horses of the barbarians, though they refuse to do so?
5. The blind girl seems to communicate __________ while the magistrate seems to focus on communicating nuances.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the magistrate want the girl to make her own decision about when it comes to the end of the journey?
2. What happens when the group encounters a strong storm right before they reach the mountains?
3. What happens to the feelings the magistrate has about the girl as their journey continues on?
4. Why was Colonel Joll send to the area where the Magistrate is in charge at the start of the story?
5. What happens to the family that the Colonel wants to interrogate when they come into town?
6. Why does the blind girl leave the magistrate's house after he offers her a job in his home?
7. What happens with the girl as they continue on their trip together through the mountains?
8. What happens when the group encounters some indigenous people as they are traveling on the tenth day?
9. What does the magistrate find about the girl when they are performing the bathing ritual together day after day?
10. Why does the magistrate think that barbarians are always causing trouble, though they avoid fighting in the winter months?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)