|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the magistrate worry will hurt the girl once it begins to take hold of the area?
(a) The Colonel.
(c) Barbarian uprising.
2. What does one of the soldiers injure on their way back to the settlement after the journey?
(a) His wrist.
(b) His head.
(c) His foot.
(d) His back.
3. The bulk of the story seems to be centered in what location in the world, according to the book notes?
(b) South Africa.
4. What is the name of the Colonel who likes to interrogate people of interest by using harsh torture methods?
5. What kind of work does the magistrate offer to the blind girl in order to help her have a warm place to stay and to work?
(a) Horse tending.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the actual destination of the prisoner(s) that was passing when this person or persons were picked up for interrogation?
2. The magistrate believes that his trip could be seen as a way to restore good relationships with the ______________.
3. After _________ days of traveling together, there is little food left in the supplies of the group.
4. Is the girl who works for the magistrate completely blind because of her interrogation torture?
5. What does the blind girl seem to agree to do on a daily basis, though there has been no conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the magistrate decide to offer the blind girl a chance to work in his home for the winter?
2. Why is the magistrate nervous about leaving his position even as he is approaching retirement?
3. What does the magistrate feel about the blind girl he sees on the street at the beginning of this section of the book?
4. Why does the magistrate think that barbarians are always causing trouble, though they avoid fighting in the winter months?
5. Why does the blind girl leave the magistrate's house after he offers her a job in his home?
6. What happens to the family that the Colonel wants to interrogate when they come into town?
7. What are some of the hobbies that the magistrate decides to take up again even though he should be preparing for attacks?
8. What does the blind girl admit to the magistrate as the reason why she stays with him?
9. What does the magistrate doubt about the Empire, as he thinks about the way they are handling the barbarians?
10. Why does the magistrate want to notify the Bureau about the trip that he is taking with the girl?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)