|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the magistrate worry will hurt the girl once it begins to take hold of the area?
(a) Barbarian uprising.
(c) The Colonel.
2. What is the first direction in which the magistrate and his men begin to travel with the girl?
3. Rumors begin to spread that the barbarians are thinking about threatening the _____________ during their actions.
4. The blind girl feels ____________ of the work that she has been given, so she runs away from the magistrate's home.
(c) Unable to handle all.
(d) Unwilling to do all.
5. Who is imprisoned on the way into town, though this prisoner(s) does not seem like a likely candidate for a spy?
(d) Small boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. The magistrate questions where torture is a ______________ method of eliciting information from the prisoners.
2. Without informing anyone, the magistrate takes ___________ soldiers and heads into the mountains on the trip.
3. What do the men think is associated with bad luck, so they have to perform a purification ritual before continuing on?
4. Who becomes more open as the journey progresses, conversing with the soldiers freely?
5. What is the magistrate reaching, which makes the reader think that he might be older than others in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the magistrate shouts out in protest during some tortures?
2. Why does the blind girl leave the magistrate's house after he offers her a job in his home?
3. What does the magistrate advise the people of the town to do in order to make it through the winter?
4. How does the magistrate suffer when he is imprisoned during his time in his cell?
5. What does the magistrate learn about his status when he says he cannot be in power because he is awaiting trial?
6. What happens when the group encounters a strong storm right before they reach the mountains?
7. What does the boy admit to when he is being interrogated by the Colonel during the beginning of the book?
8. What does the magistrate decide to do as he feels frustrated with the relationship between him and he girl?
9. How do the barbarians inspire fear which eventually turns into paranoia?
10. What does the magistrate find about the girl when they are performing the bathing ritual together day after day?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)