|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The blind girl feels ____________ of the work that she has been given, so she runs away from the magistrate's home.
(a) Unwilling to do all.
(d) Unable to handle all.
2. How does the magistrate begin to inform the government about his actions, though he puts this aside?
(a) A letter.
(b) Smoke signals.
(c) A telegram.
(d) A messenger.
3. What does one of the soldiers injure on their way back to the settlement after the journey?
(a) His foot.
(b) His head.
(c) His back.
(d) His wrist.
4. What did the torturers use in order to blind the girl who is now working for the magistrate in his home?
(a) Hot water.
(b) Hot fork-like tools.
5. The magistrate questions where torture is a ______________ method of eliciting information from the prisoners.
Short Answer Questions
1. The bulk of the story seems to be centered in what location in the world, according to the book notes?
2. What happens as the blind girl refuses to talk about her injuries as the magistrate asks her about them?
3. Who becomes more open as the journey progresses, conversing with the soldiers freely?
4. With the alleged barbarian uprising, the magistrate is unable to remain _______________ in the issues which take place.
5. A magistrate is in charge of administering the _____________ in a colonial town at the start of this story.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the hobbies that the magistrate decides to take up again even though he should be preparing for attacks?
2. Why does the blind girl leave the magistrate's house after he offers her a job in his home?
3. Why was Colonel Joll send to the area where the Magistrate is in charge at the start of the story?
4. What causes troubles when the fishermen are put into the barracks together, causing problems for the magistrate?
5. What does the magistrate find when he goes to visit the family who has been tortured by the Colonel?
6. What happens when the group encounters a strong storm right before they reach the mountains?
7. Why is the magistrate unable to remain uninvolved during the alleged barbarian uprising?
8. What happens when there is little food left after eight days of travel in the mountains?
9. What makes the blind girl on the street even more pitiful to the magistrate when he sees her for the first time?
10. What does the magistrate decide to do as he feels frustrated with the relationship between him and he girl?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)