|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the group returns back to the settlement, they are greeted by a group of ______________.
2. Without informing anyone, the magistrate takes ___________ soldiers and heads into the mountains on the trip.
3. With the alleged barbarian uprising, the magistrate is unable to remain _______________ in the issues which take place.
4. Due to her injured ____________, the girl needs to use sticks in order to get around from place to place.
5. When the winter finally ends, the ___________ trapping can begin again, according to this section of the story.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the magistrate worry will hurt the girl once it begins to take hold of the area?
2. What did the torturers use in order to blind the girl who is now working for the magistrate in his home?
3. The barbarians are not interested in the ___________ they used to engage in until they started drinking and causing trouble.
4. Who does the magistrate blame for all of the trouble that is happening among the people who are prisoners?
5. The magistrate believes that the barbarians only different in their tolerance for ___________ and slovenliness, and the magistrate admires them.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the barbarians when they are locked up in their cells, according to the events the magistrate has witnessed?
2. What happens with the fire that is being set along the riverbanks?
3. What happens when the magistrate falls asleep in the room of one of the girls he used to sleep with?
4. What does the magistrate witness when he leaves the settlement and gets through the gate to get to the lakeside?
5. Why is the magistrate at odds with Mandel the policeman in the city where he is living?
6. How do the barbarians inspire fear which eventually turns into paranoia?
7. What happens when the group encounters some indigenous people as they are traveling on the tenth day?
8. Why does Colonel Joll come to the town where the magistrate is now in control?
9. What does the magistrate find when he goes to visit the family who has been tortured by the Colonel?
10. What happens to the feelings the magistrate has about the girl as their journey continues on?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)