|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first direction in which the magistrate and his men begin to travel with the girl?
2. Once the group leaves the lake conditions, they have to kill one of ______________ that refuses to rise from the ground.
(a) The men.
(b) The goats.
(c) The women.
(d) Their horses.
3. The magistrate is worried that the answers the prisoners give while being tortured are only what the Colonel _______________.
(a) Already knows.
(b) Has said already.
(c) Tells the army.
(d) Wants to hear.
4. The magistrate is worried about the __________ of the girl while also being attracted to her beauty.
(c) Work status.
5. The Colonel uses the _____________ to organize a raid on the barbarians and to begin fighting back in the uprising.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the actual destination of the prisoner(s) that was passing when this person or persons were picked up for interrogation?
2. With the alleged barbarian uprising, the magistrate is unable to remain _______________ in the issues which take place.
3. What keeps the magistrate up at night during the time when the Colonel is interrogating the many prisoners?
4. The barbarians are not interested in the ___________ they used to engage in until they started drinking and causing trouble.
5. The magistrate questions where torture is a ______________ method of eliciting information from the prisoners.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the people learn about the barbarians who lured the army into the desert?
2. Why is the magistrate at odds with Mandel the policeman in the city where he is living?
3. What does the magistrate think he might write down if he were to write a record of the imperial post?
4. What happens when the group encounters some indigenous people as they are traveling on the tenth day?
5. Why does the magistrate think that barbarians are always causing trouble, though they avoid fighting in the winter months?
6. What are some of the hobbies that the magistrate decides to take up again even though he should be preparing for attacks?
7. Why does the magistrate want to notify the Bureau about the trip that he is taking with the girl?
8. What happens to the magistrate as a result of not having any activities to do during his captivity?
9. What do the men who are digging the wells find when they are beginning the process of constructing new wells?
10. What does the blind girl admit to the magistrate as the reason why she stays with him?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)