|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The magistrate finds the blind girl to be ___________________ and unresponsive when he tries to connect with her.
2. The group at the entrance of the settlement appears to be a ___________, but this is not what they actually are.
(c) Welcoming party.
(d) Gang of barbarians.
3. The blind girl feels ____________ of the work that she has been given, so she runs away from the magistrate's home.
(b) Unwilling to do all.
(c) Unable to handle all.
4. After _________ days of traveling together, there is little food left in the supplies of the group.
5. All that the magistrate knows about the girl is that she is the ____________ of the man who died during the interrogation.
Short Answer Questions
1. The girl says that she doesn't like _____________ and wants to stay with her own people.
2. ___________ avoids sleeping with the others in the same tent on the way back from their trip.
3. When the group returns back to the settlement, they are greeted by a group of ______________.
4. The magistrate believes that the barbarians only different in their tolerance for ___________ and slovenliness, and the magistrate admires them.
5. The magistrate has disagreements with the _____________ while new conscripts arrive to replace old soldiers.
Short Essay Questions
1. When does the magistrate ask about the injuries the girl has suffered once she is back in his home?
2. What happens when the group encounters a strong storm right before they reach the mountains?
3. What does the magistrate find when he goes to visit the family who has been tortured by the Colonel?
4. What is the result of the raid that the Colonel tries to arrange with the help of the boy who he has interrogated?
5. Why does the magistrate decide to offer the blind girl a chance to work in his home for the winter?
6. What does the magistrate doubt about the Empire, as he thinks about the way they are handling the barbarians?
7. What does the Colonel interrogate the fishermen about when he brings them in for questioning after their capture?
8. What happens when the group encounters some indigenous people as they are traveling on the tenth day?
9. What does the boy admit to when he is being interrogated by the Colonel during the beginning of the book?
10. Why is the magistrate nervous about leaving his position even as he is approaching retirement?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)