|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens as the blind girl refuses to talk about her injuries as the magistrate asks her about them?
(a) She begins to cry.
(b) The magistrate falls asleep beside her.
(c) The girl falls asleep beside the magistrate.
2. The magistrate thinks the barbarians became corrupted because they lost their _________ somewhere along the way.
3. Who is imprisoned on the way into town, though this prisoner(s) does not seem like a likely candidate for a spy?
(b) Small boy.
4. Due to her injured ____________, the girl needs to use sticks in order to get around from place to place.
5. What does the magistrate offer in exchange for the horses of the barbarians, though they refuse to do so?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the magistrate do for the girl when he goes out to find her on the streets after she runs away again?
2. The magistrate is worried that the answers the prisoners give while being tortured are only what the Colonel _______________.
3. What kind of uprising is a part of the rumors which are being investigated in the area where the magistrate is?
4. What does one of the soldiers injure on their way back to the settlement after the journey?
5. With the alleged barbarian uprising, the magistrate is unable to remain _______________ in the issues which take place.
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the blind girl on the street even more pitiful to the magistrate when he sees her for the first time?
2. Why was Colonel Joll send to the area where the Magistrate is in charge at the start of the story?
3. What causes troubles when the fishermen are put into the barracks together, causing problems for the magistrate?
4. When does the magistrate ask about the injuries the girl has suffered once she is back in his home?
5. What does the magistrate find when he goes to visit the family who has been tortured by the Colonel?
6. Why does the magistrate want to notify the Bureau about the trip that he is taking with the girl?
7. What does the Colonel interrogate the fishermen about when he brings them in for questioning after their capture?
8. What happens when the girl in the group gets her period and is unable to hide it from the others?
9. Why does the magistrate think that barbarians are always causing trouble, though they avoid fighting in the winter months?
10. What happens when the group encounters a strong storm right before they reach the mountains?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)