|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The magistrate finds a blind girl begging on the street for ____________ on a cold winter day.
(a) Health care.
2. Who seems to have injuries which are inconsistent to those mentioned on the interrogation report?
3. What keeps the magistrate up at night during the time when the Colonel is interrogating the many prisoners?
(a) The screams of the prisoners.
(b) The mess hall.
(c) The army soldiers.
4. The group continues to experience tough conditions, with _________ entering their clothing and their baggage as they travel.
5. What does the blind girl seem to agree to do on a daily basis, though there has been no conversation?
(a) The chores.
(b) The cooking.
(c) Sleeping on the floor of the bedroom.
(d) Bathing rituals.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is NOT in the group of people who are interrogated after being picked up on their way into town?
2. Where are the prisoners placed in order to keep them from escaping from the colonial town?
3. The magistrate thinks the barbarians became corrupted because they lost their _________ somewhere along the way.
4. A magistrate is in charge of administering the _____________ in a colonial town at the start of this story.
5. The group at the entrance of the settlement appears to be a ___________, but this is not what they actually are.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of the raid that the Colonel tries to arrange with the help of the boy who he has interrogated?
2. What happens when the group encounters a strong storm right before they reach the mountains?
3. What is the difference between the communication style of the magistrate and the blind girl in his home?
4. What happens to the feelings the magistrate has about the girl as their journey continues on?
5. Why is the magistrate unable to remain uninvolved during the alleged barbarian uprising?
6. Why does the magistrate think that barbarians are always causing trouble, though they avoid fighting in the winter months?
7. What happens when there is little food left after eight days of travel in the mountains?
8. What happens when the girl in the group gets her period and is unable to hide it from the others?
9. What does the boy admit to when he is being interrogated by the Colonel during the beginning of the book?
10. Why was Colonel Joll send to the area where the Magistrate is in charge at the start of the story?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)