|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Colonel want to obtain from the prisoners when he seeks to interrogate them in a cruel way?
2. When the group returns back to the settlement, they are greeted by a group of ______________.
3. Who does the magistrate find to be sleeping when he visits the family the following day?
4. What was the actual destination of the prisoner(s) that was passing when this person or persons were picked up for interrogation?
(a) Family house.
5. What kind of work does the magistrate offer to the blind girl in order to help her have a warm place to stay and to work?
(c) Horse tending.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is the girl who works for the magistrate completely blind because of her interrogation torture?
2. What does the girl get that she is unable to hide from the others, leading to a series of events?
3. What does one of the soldiers injure on their way back to the settlement after the journey?
4. The magistrate thinks the barbarians became corrupted because they lost their _________ somewhere along the way.
5. The group continues to experience tough conditions, with _________ entering their clothing and their baggage as they travel.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between the communication style of the magistrate and the blind girl in his home?
2. What does the magistrate feel about the blind girl he sees on the street at the beginning of this section of the book?
3. What does the magistrate doubt about the Empire, as he thinks about the way they are handling the barbarians?
4. What happens to the feelings the magistrate has about the girl as their journey continues on?
5. What happens when there is little food left after eight days of travel in the mountains?
6. Why does the magistrate think that barbarians are always causing trouble, though they avoid fighting in the winter months?
7. What is the result of the raid that the Colonel tries to arrange with the help of the boy who he has interrogated?
8. What happens when the group encounters some indigenous people as they are traveling on the tenth day?
9. Why does the blind girl leave the magistrate's house after he offers her a job in his home?
10. Why does the magistrate decide to offer the blind girl a chance to work in his home for the winter?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)