|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The relationship the magistrate has with the __________ remains the same - distant and indifferent.
2. ______________wants to distance himself from all of the killing before his retirement begins to be a reality.
(a) The President.
(b) The admiral.
(c) The magistrate.
(d) The Colonel.
3. Due to her injured ____________, the girl needs to use sticks in order to get around from place to place.
4. The group at the entrance of the settlement appears to be a ___________, but this is not what they actually are.
(a) Welcoming party.
(d) Gang of barbarians.
5. The bulk of the story seems to be centered in what location in the world, according to the book notes?
(d) South Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumors begin to spread that the barbarians are thinking about threatening the _____________ during their actions.
2. The magistrate becomes frustrated with the bathing ritual which makes him feel ___________ without bringing results.
3. What is the first direction in which the magistrate and his men begin to travel with the girl?
4. Is the girl who works for the magistrate completely blind because of her interrogation torture?
5. The magistrate is worried that the answers the prisoners give while being tortured are only what the Colonel _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Colonel Joll send to the area where the Magistrate is in charge at the start of the story?
2. What does the magistrate doubt about the Empire, as he thinks about the way they are handling the barbarians?
3. What happens with the girl as they continue on their trip together through the mountains?
4. What is the result of the raid that the Colonel tries to arrange with the help of the boy who he has interrogated?
5. Why does the magistrate want to notify the Bureau about the trip that he is taking with the girl?
6. What does the magistrate find when he goes to visit the family who has been tortured by the Colonel?
7. Why does the magistrate think that barbarians are always causing trouble, though they avoid fighting in the winter months?
8. What causes troubles when the fishermen are put into the barracks together, causing problems for the magistrate?
9. What is the difference between the communication style of the magistrate and the blind girl in his home?
10. Why does the blind girl leave the magistrate's house after he offers her a job in his home?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)