|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who believes the family is a threat to the colony, which is why they are picked up on their way through town?
(a) Colonel Joll.
(b) The magistrate.
(c) Colonel God.
(d) Colonel Jobe.
2. ______________wants to distance himself from all of the killing before his retirement begins to be a reality.
(a) The President.
(b) The magistrate.
(c) The Colonel.
(d) The admiral.
3. Even after the magistrate _____________________, he still questions whether he really wants to have her.
(a) Laughs with the girl.
(b) Continues on the journey.
(c) Begins to appreciate the girl.
(d) Has sex with the girl.
4. What is the magistrate reaching, which makes the reader think that he might be older than others in the book?
(a) His admiral position.
(d) A new home.
5. A magistrate is in charge of administering the _____________ in a colonial town at the start of this story.
(b) Security checks.
(d) Food stamps.
Short Answer Questions
1. The nomads would usually follow the _____________ on the path the magistrate and the soldiers are starting to follow.
2. The magistrate becomes frustrated with the bathing ritual which makes him feel ___________ without bringing results.
3. Who is the one being tortured which causes the person from #16 to react in the way that he/she does?
4. Who is imprisoned on the way into town, though this prisoner(s) does not seem like a likely candidate for a spy?
5. Who seems to have injuries which are inconsistent to those mentioned on the interrogation report?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the blind girl leave the magistrate's house after he offers her a job in his home?
2. Why does the magistrate think that barbarians are always causing trouble, though they avoid fighting in the winter months?
3. Why does the magistrate decide to offer the blind girl a chance to work in his home for the winter?
4. What does the blind girl admit to the magistrate as the reason why she stays with him?
5. What does the magistrate find when he goes to visit the family who has been tortured by the Colonel?
6. What happens when the group encounters a strong storm right before they reach the mountains?
7. Why is the magistrate nervous about leaving his position even as he is approaching retirement?
8. What happens to the family that the Colonel wants to interrogate when they come into town?
9. Why was Colonel Joll send to the area where the Magistrate is in charge at the start of the story?
10. Why does the magistrate want to notify the Bureau about the trip that he is taking with the girl?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)