|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the group end up losing in the winds of a fierce storm, never to recover it again?
(a) A horse.
(b) A tent.
(c) A bag of food.
(d) A goat.
2. The bulk of the story seems to be centered in what location in the world, according to the book notes?
(c) South Africa.
3. With the alleged barbarian uprising, the magistrate is unable to remain _______________ in the issues which take place.
4. The magistrate is upset about incidents between the soldiers and the prisoners especially when _________________.
(a) One of the babies dies.
(b) The guns go missing.
(c) The sun sets.
(d) The meals are served.
5. The nomads would usually follow the _____________ on the path the magistrate and the soldiers are starting to follow.
(a) Desert edge.
(b) Old dead river bed.
(d) Tree line.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the magistrate worry will hurt the girl once it begins to take hold of the area?
2. The magistrate believes that the barbarians only different in their tolerance for ___________ and slovenliness, and the magistrate admires them.
3. What keeps the magistrate up at night during the time when the Colonel is interrogating the many prisoners?
4. The group begins their journey by traveling to the ___________ and then the valleys, where the nomads usually travel.
5. Who seems to have injuries which are inconsistent to those mentioned on the interrogation report?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the blind girl leave the magistrate's house after he offers her a job in his home?
2. Why is the magistrate unable to remain uninvolved during the alleged barbarian uprising?
3. What does the magistrate want the girl to make her own decision about when it comes to the end of the journey?
4. What is the difference between the communication style of the magistrate and the blind girl in his home?
5. What happens to the feelings the magistrate has about the girl as their journey continues on?
6. Why was Colonel Joll send to the area where the Magistrate is in charge at the start of the story?
7. What do the magistrate and the four soldiers do in order to make the trip to the mountains a bit shorter?
8. What is the result of the raid that the Colonel tries to arrange with the help of the boy who he has interrogated?
9. What happens with the girl as they continue on their trip together through the mountains?
10. What does the magistrate find about the girl when they are performing the bathing ritual together day after day?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)