|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The barbarians stay away from the town during the winter months, dealing with the _____________.
(a) Lack of supplies.
(b) Lack of sun.
2. When the blind girl finally tells the magistrate that she is willing to ____________, he finds himself to be indifferent.
(a) Marry him.
(c) Work harder.
(d) Have sex.
3. The magistrate shows the _______________ to the Colonel when the Colonel is in the town for a visit.
4. The Colonel likes to use various stages of torture when he interrogates people, increasing the _________ at each stage.
5. All that the magistrate knows about the girl is that she is the ____________ of the man who died during the interrogation.
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to shorten their trip, the magistrate and the soldiers decide to take a path that has ___________________.
2. The boy admits to theft of __________ and arming by his clan during the torture by the Colonel.
3. What does the blind girl seem to agree to do on a daily basis, though there has been no conversation?
4. Rumors begin to spread that the barbarians are thinking about threatening the _____________ during their actions.
5. Who does the magistrate find to be sleeping when he visits the family the following day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the girl in the group gets her period and is unable to hide it from the others?
2. What happens with the girl as they continue on their trip together through the mountains?
3. What causes troubles when the fishermen are put into the barracks together, causing problems for the magistrate?
4. What are some of the hobbies that the magistrate decides to take up again even though he should be preparing for attacks?
5. What does the magistrate find about the girl when they are performing the bathing ritual together day after day?
6. What do the magistrate and the four soldiers do in order to make the trip to the mountains a bit shorter?
7. What does the boy admit to when he is being interrogated by the Colonel during the beginning of the book?
8. Why does the magistrate think that barbarians are always causing trouble, though they avoid fighting in the winter months?
9. Why does the magistrate decide to offer the blind girl a chance to work in his home for the winter?
10. What does the magistrate find when he goes to visit the family who has been tortured by the Colonel?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)