|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is NOT one of the magistrate's old hobbies that he takes up after deciding to swear off women?
(a) Looking at ancient writing.
(b) Collecting stones.
(c) Collecting bones.
(d) Deciphering writing.
2. The magistrate is doubtful of his ability to instill ______________ when excising his judicial duties.
3. The barbarians appear in other places, being cheated as they try to trade with _____________, according to the magistrate's observations.
4. The magistrate decides it is best not to _______________ and to focus instead on what can be changed.
(a) Sleep with anyone.
(b) Love anyone.
(c) Dwell on the past.
(d) Listen to the girl.
5. Where does Mandel hit the magistrate when the magistrate speaks up with his query in question #130?
6. Colonel Joll approaches the prisoners and uses dust to write the word ______________ on their backs.
7. ____________ are placed alongside the rampart to simulate the presence of armies in the town.
8. The magistrate thinks that his method of recording information now would include ______________ through seasons and nature.
9. The magistrate's lack of ___________ encourages endless analysis of what's happened and what might happen.
10. The magistrate is also accused of making a trip to inform the ___________________ about the campaign against them.
(a) Other settlements.
11. During Mandel's speech, some of his men return with ___________, including hens and cocks which are placed into the oven.
(a) Stolen goods.
(b) Fresh supplies.
(d) New weapons.
12. The magistrate tries to explain that the people who live in the huts hide from the barbarians in the ______________.
13. When the magistrate leaves the girl's apartment, he proceeds toward the ____________ gate where he goes unrecognized.
14. The magistrate is released from prison without any means of ____________ at this time.
(d) Going to court.
15. The magistrate thinks the ___________ creates opportunities for both justice and injustice.
(a) Soldier's code.
(b) Barbaric conflict.
Short Answer Questions
1. The barbarians like to hide in the _________________ and wait for the soldiers to go away.
2. The magistrate decides all he can do is to go on living even though his journey may be ________________.
3. The magistrate prefers to bear the ___________ himself rather than to leave it for someone else to bear.
4. What do people throw at Colonel Joll's carriage when he and his men decide to leave?
5. The ___________ that the barbarians arm against their invaders spread, encouraging angst and conflicts among the people.
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)