|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The magistrate decides it is best not to _______________ and to focus instead on what can be changed.
(a) Sleep with anyone.
(b) Dwell on the past.
(c) Love anyone.
(d) Listen to the girl.
2. What is NOT one of the things the magistrate feels the Empire is condoning as a part of this conflicted time?
(a) Raping of women.
(b) Deaths of civilians.
(c) Destruction of property.
(d) Stealing of money.
3. The soldiers use a _________ to search the empty huts that belong to the fishermen who are living nearby.
4. The magistrate wanted to point out that it was worse to damage one's _____________ than to go ahead and to kill them.
5. The native girl, as she was tortured, turned into a creature who believes in ______________, only awaiting her end.
6. What is the name of the girl who the magistrate seeks out in order to help him with his tension?
7. The ___________ that the barbarians arm against their invaders spread, encouraging angst and conflicts among the people.
8. Children gather __________ which are then smoked and packed away for the coming months and seasons.
(a) Tuna rolls.
9. While the magistrate is forced to live on the street, the barbarians hide while their ____________ are being destroyed.
10. The magistrate is also accused of making a trip to inform the ___________________ about the campaign against them.
(b) Other settlements.
11. The magistrate is in charge of new __________ which are being built at the same time as the farming begins.
12. The barbarians inspire fear which then turns into _____________ when they come at night and steal things they need.
13. The magistrate meets with a ____________ from the Third Bureau who decides to accuse him of siding with the enemy.
(a) Warrant officer.
14. Men who dig wells in the area find __________________ behind the barracks in a place that seems to be a grave.
(b) Women's bones.
(d) Children's bones.
15. ____________ are placed alongside the rampart to simulate the presence of armies in the town.
Short Answer Questions
1. The girl the magistrate seeks out is helping her ______________ while taking care of her babies.
2. The magistrate recovers, finding himself interested in ___________ again during the new period of time in the settlement.
3. The magistrate finds it difficult to get used to ______________ in the humiliation of his imprisonment.
4. The magistrate has misgivings about the native girl regretting his failure to _______________.
5. When the magistrate tells Mandel that he is still awaiting trial, the magistrate learns there are no ____________ of him at all.
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)