|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The girl tells the magistrate that the native girl never knew what he _____________ of her and was never able to understand him.
2. The magistrate finds out that one of the charges against him involves __________ irregularities.
3. What do people throw at Colonel Joll's carriage when he and his men decide to leave?
4. The magistrate is in charge of new __________ which are being built at the same time as the farming begins.
5. Where does the magistrate first go when he decides that he wants to leave the settlement?
(c) Girl's grave.
(d) A fruit store.
6. The magistrate gets help from the only _______________ in town who avoided burglary during the raids and the conflicts.
7. The magistrate is released from prison without any means of ____________ at this time.
(a) Going to court.
8. ______________ who pass by every now and then move them as if the soldiers move the items as though the soldiers moved.
9. The magistrate prefers to bear the ___________ himself rather than to leave it for someone else to bear.
10. ________________ Mandel want the magistrate to get back to work in the settlement, according to the story.
11. What is NOT one of the things the soldiers bring with them when they depart the settlement with Mandel?
12. What does the magistrate end up suffering through when he sneaks into a girl's bedroom in order to hide?
(a) A man's accusations that he killed someone.
(c) The girl's cries for freedom.
(d) Being under the bed while two people have sex.
13. What do two barbarian men bring into the settlement on a horse in order to inspire fear in the people?
(a) Dead man.
(b) A dead horse.
(c) Severed limbs.
14. The girl that the magistrate loved became less and less of a ___________ when she was being tortured by the army.
15. Men who dig wells in the area find __________________ behind the barracks in a place that seems to be a grave.
(a) Women's bones.
(b) Children's bones.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT one of the things the magistrate feels the Empire is condoning as a part of this conflicted time?
2. The magistrate thinks that his method of recording information now would include ______________ through seasons and nature.
3. The troops return from their mission with the natives who have their cheeks and their wrists ____________.
4. The barbarians appear in other places, being cheated as they try to trade with _____________, according to the magistrate's observations.
5. The magistrate's lack of ___________ encourages endless analysis of what's happened and what might happen.
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)