|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The _________ is set to assure protection cleaning the river banks at the same time for the army and its members.
2. The magistrate realizes that visiting the women was a mistake and that he should just _________________.
(a) Be quiet.
(b) Make his own decisions.
(c) Mind his own business.
(d) Sleep alone.
3. As the magistrate sits and thinks about his feelings for the native girl, he questions his ____________ for her.
4. The girl that the magistrate loved became less and less of a ___________ when she was being tortured by the army.
5. When the magistrate leaves the girl's apartment, he proceeds toward the ____________ gate where he goes unrecognized.
6. The magistrate gets help from the only _______________ in town who avoided burglary during the raids and the conflicts.
7. When the magistrate returns to his cell, the guard warns him that he should remain silent about his ___________.
(d) Sex life.
8. What do Colonel Joll and his men find when they come into town for food and for new horses?
(a) A fire.
(c) Only women and children.
(d) Empty stables.
9. Unable to defend themselves, the barbarians are vulnerable and deprived of their _______________ as a result.
10. What is NOT one of the things the soldiers bring with them when they depart the settlement with Mandel?
11. What does the magistrate return to the crowd with after he can't stand to see the sight of the natives at first?
(b) Bucket of water.
12. Even when one of the soldiers is injured during the search for barbarians, the only soldiers just ____________ in response.
(a) Torture him.
13. Some of the ____________ decide to leave because of the rumors which begin to spread in the settlement.
14. The magistrate wanted to point out that it was worse to damage one's _____________ than to go ahead and to kill them.
15. The soldiers use a _________ to search the empty huts that belong to the fishermen who are living nearby.
Short Answer Questions
1. The native girl, as she was tortured, turned into a creature who believes in ______________, only awaiting her end.
2. Colonel Joll approaches the prisoners and uses dust to write the word ______________ on their backs.
3. The barbarians lured the army into the ____________ cutting the horses loose along the way and vanished.
4. The magistrate would have to consider performing his duties with caution as __________________ is quickly forgotten in outback places.
5. What does the magistrate notice that makes him realize that he can not survive there?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)