|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The magistrate learns that no one knows what happened to the ____________ who were unable to stay together.
2. ________________ Mandel want the magistrate to get back to work in the settlement, according to the story.
3. What is NOT one of the things the soldiers bring with them when they depart the settlement with Mandel?
4. The magistrate thinks the ___________ creates opportunities for both justice and injustice.
(b) Soldier's code.
(c) Barbaric conflict.
5. What do people throw at Colonel Joll's carriage when he and his men decide to leave?
6. Unable to defend themselves, the barbarians are vulnerable and deprived of their _______________ as a result.
7. The magistrate is also accused of making a trip to inform the ___________________ about the campaign against them.
(b) Other settlements.
8. People in town as well as the ___________ living nearby live in fear of barbarian attacks.
9. The magistrate is ashamed of the impact that the Empire had on the _____________________.
(a) Barbarian population.
(c) Safety of his people.
10. The barbarians appear in other places, being cheated as they try to trade with _____________, according to the magistrate's observations.
11. The barbarians inspire fear which then turns into _____________ when they come at night and steal things they need.
12. The magistrate recovers, finding himself interested in ___________ again during the new period of time in the settlement.
(a) The law.
(c) The Colonel.
13. Unhappy with their relationship, the native girl used to ____________ to deal with the confusion and the pain.
(a) Sleep with other men.
(c) Take drugs.
(d) Run away.
14. No one wants to ___________ after the fishermen claim to have seen the barbarians nearby in the area.
(b) Gather wood.
(c) Leave town.
(d) Gather water.
15. The magistrate asks Mandel how he can __________ and get on with his life as the people are being tortured.
Short Answer Questions
1. The magistrate tries to explain that the people who live in the huts hide from the barbarians in the ______________.
2. The soldiers were left by the barbarians to freeze in the _____________ and to starve in the desert.
3. What is NOT one of the things the magistrate feels the Empire is condoning as a part of this conflicted time?
4. The barbarians lured the army into the ____________ cutting the horses loose along the way and vanished.
5. The magistrate is also questioned about his relationship to _______________ during his accusations.
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)