|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Mandel's speech, some of his men return with ___________, including hens and cocks which are placed into the oven.
(a) Fresh supplies.
(b) Stolen goods.
(c) New weapons.
2. When the magistrate tells Mandel that he is still awaiting trial, the magistrate learns there are no ____________ of him at all.
3. The magistrate asks Mandel how he can __________ and get on with his life as the people are being tortured.
4. The magistrate thinks the ___________ creates opportunities for both justice and injustice.
(b) Barbaric conflict.
(c) Soldier's code.
5. What is NOT one of the things the magistrate feels the Empire is condoning as a part of this conflicted time?
(a) Destruction of property.
(b) Deaths of civilians.
(c) Stealing of money.
(d) Raping of women.
6. What does the magistrate end up suffering through when he sneaks into a girl's bedroom in order to hide?
(a) A man's accusations that he killed someone.
(c) Being under the bed while two people have sex.
(d) The girl's cries for freedom.
7. The magistrate is in charge of new __________ which are being built at the same time as the farming begins.
8. The magistrate has misgivings about the native girl regretting his failure to _______________.
(a) Keep her in his home.
(b) Marry her.
(c) Be with her.
(d) Understand her.
9. _______________ barricade the gates in order to protect themselves from the approach of the barbarians.
(a) The children.
(b) The people.
(c) The militia.
(d) The army.
10. The ___________ that the barbarians arm against their invaders spread, encouraging angst and conflicts among the people.
11. The magistrate learns that no one knows what happened to the ____________ who were unable to stay together.
12. When the magistrate leaves the girl's apartment, he proceeds toward the ____________ gate where he goes unrecognized.
13. The _____________ control the town, being regarded as the only protection from the barbarians who still threaten the area.
14. The magistrate wanted to point out that it was worse to damage one's _____________ than to go ahead and to kill them.
15. Even when one of the soldiers is injured during the search for barbarians, the only soldiers just ____________ in response.
(d) Torture him.
Short Answer Questions
1. The officer the magistrate has spoken with seems to be equally capable of ___________ as of fulfilling his duties.
2. The magistrate finds out that one of the charges against him involves __________ irregularities.
3. _____________ spreads among the soldiers in response to the new news about the barbarians and their actions.
4. The magistrate is also questioned about his relationship to _______________ during his accusations.
5. The magistrate tries to explain that the people who live in the huts hide from the barbarians in the ______________.
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)