|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mandel seems to be unaffected by the ____________ of other people, which puts the magistrate at odds with him.
2. The magistrate finds it difficult to get used to ______________ in the humiliation of his imprisonment.
(a) Sharing a room.
(b) Simple food.
(c) Not having anything to do.
(d) Having company.
3. When the magistrate tells Mandel that he is still awaiting trial, the magistrate learns there are no ____________ of him at all.
4. No one wants to ___________ after the fishermen claim to have seen the barbarians nearby in the area.
(a) Leave town.
(b) Gather wood.
(d) Gather water.
5. What do people throw at Colonel Joll's carriage when he and his men decide to leave?
6. _______________ barricade the gates in order to protect themselves from the approach of the barbarians.
(a) The army.
(b) The children.
(c) The militia.
(d) The people.
7. The magistrate gets help from the only _______________ in town who avoided burglary during the raids and the conflicts.
8. As the guards tighten the wires of the prisoners, they then force the prisoners to _____________ in the area where they are taken.
9. The magistrate decides it is best not to _______________ and to focus instead on what can be changed.
(a) Listen to the girl.
(b) Love anyone.
(c) Sleep with anyone.
(d) Dwell on the past.
10. Only when the barbarians realize they cannot live without the skills of the ____________, perhaps then they can be won.
(b) White men.
11. What is the name of the girl who the magistrate seeks out in order to help him with his tension?
12. The girl expresses concern about living in ___________________ for her and for her child's life.
13. What is NOT one of the things the magistrate feels the Empire is condoning as a part of this conflicted time?
(a) Stealing of money.
(b) Destruction of property.
(c) Deaths of civilians.
(d) Raping of women.
14. The girl tells the magistrate that the native girl never knew what he _____________ of her and was never able to understand him.
15. The magistrate learns that no one knows what happened to the ____________ who were unable to stay together.
Short Answer Questions
1. ________________ Mandel want the magistrate to get back to work in the settlement, according to the story.
2. The magistrate does not think his record in the imperial post would include a recollection of _______________.
3. Even when one of the soldiers is injured during the search for barbarians, the only soldiers just ____________ in response.
4. Children gather __________ which are then smoked and packed away for the coming months and seasons.
5. The _________ is set to assure protection cleaning the river banks at the same time for the army and its members.
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)