|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The magistrate prefers to bear the ___________ himself rather than to leave it for someone else to bear.
2. When the magistrate tells Mandel that he is still awaiting trial, the magistrate learns there are no ____________ of him at all.
3. What is the magistrate deprived of when he is imprisoned for his various accusations and alleged crimes?
(a) Spare clothing.
4. What do Colonel Joll and his men find when they come into town for food and for new horses?
(a) A fire.
(b) Only women and children.
(c) Empty stables.
5. What do two barbarian men bring into the settlement on a horse in order to inspire fear in the people?
(a) Severed limbs.
(c) Dead man.
(d) A dead horse.
6. The magistrate is released from prison without any means of ____________ at this time.
(c) Going to court.
7. The girl tells the magistrate that the native girl never knew what he _____________ of her and was never able to understand him.
8. The officer the magistrate has spoken with seems to be equally capable of ___________ as of fulfilling his duties.
9. The magistrate decides all he can do is to go on living even though his journey may be ________________.
(a) Ending soon.
10. Some of the ____________ decide to leave because of the rumors which begin to spread in the settlement.
11. _______________ barricade the gates in order to protect themselves from the approach of the barbarians.
(a) The army.
(b) The militia.
(c) The children.
(d) The people.
12. The magistrate finds it difficult to get used to ______________ in the humiliation of his imprisonment.
(a) Sharing a room.
(b) Having company.
(c) Not having anything to do.
(d) Simple food.
13. The barbarians appear in other places, being cheated as they try to trade with _____________, according to the magistrate's observations.
14. ____________ are placed alongside the rampart to simulate the presence of armies in the town.
15. What does the magistrate notice that makes him realize that he can not survive there?
(a) A barren silo.
(b) A raging illness.
(c) The many guards.
(d) Ruined crops.
Short Answer Questions
1. Only when the barbarians realize they cannot live without the skills of the ____________, perhaps then they can be won.
2. What is NOT one of the things the soldiers bring with them when they depart the settlement with Mandel?
3. The barbarians like to hide in the _________________ and wait for the soldiers to go away.
4. The native girl, as she was tortured, turned into a creature who believes in ______________, only awaiting her end.
5. The magistrate is also accused of making a trip to inform the ___________________ about the campaign against them.
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)