|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Mandel's speech, some of his men return with ___________, including hens and cocks which are placed into the oven.
(a) Fresh supplies.
(b) Stolen goods.
(c) New weapons.
2. The girl expresses concern about living in ___________________ for her and for her child's life.
3. The magistrate thinks the ___________ creates opportunities for both justice and injustice.
(a) Barbaric conflict.
(c) Soldier's code.
4. The magistrate has misgivings about the native girl regretting his failure to _______________.
(a) Keep her in his home.
(b) Understand her.
(c) Be with her.
(d) Marry her.
5. Children gather __________ which are then smoked and packed away for the coming months and seasons.
(b) Tuna rolls.
6. The barbarians lured the army into the ____________ cutting the horses loose along the way and vanished.
7. The magistrate finds it difficult to get used to ______________ in the humiliation of his imprisonment.
(a) Not having anything to do.
(b) Sharing a room.
(c) Simple food.
(d) Having company.
8. The magistrate does not think his record in the imperial post would include a recollection of _______________.
9. When the magistrate returns to his cell, the guard warns him that he should remain silent about his ___________.
(b) Sex life.
10. What destroys wildlife and creates more opportunities for the desert to advance into the area?
11. Unable to defend themselves, the barbarians are vulnerable and deprived of their _______________ as a result.
12. The magistrate meets with a ____________ from the Third Bureau who decides to accuse him of siding with the enemy.
(d) Warrant officer.
13. The soldiers were left by the barbarians to freeze in the _____________ and to starve in the desert.
14. The magistrate asks Mandel how he can __________ and get on with his life as the people are being tortured.
15. The _____________ control the town, being regarded as the only protection from the barbarians who still threaten the area.
Short Answer Questions
1. The power of the Empire is derived from the infliction of pain on the ___________, a sign of victory over this group.
2. When the magistrate shouts in protest of what is happening, a solider hits him in the _______________.
3. _____________ spreads among the soldiers in response to the new news about the barbarians and their actions.
4. The magistrate is also accused of making a trip to inform the ___________________ about the campaign against them.
5. What does the magistrate notice that makes him realize that he can not survive there?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)