|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do two barbarian men bring into the settlement on a horse in order to inspire fear in the people?
(a) Dead man.
(c) A dead horse.
(d) Severed limbs.
2. The ___________ that the barbarians arm against their invaders spread, encouraging angst and conflicts among the people.
3. The barbarians appear in other places, being cheated as they try to trade with _____________, according to the magistrate's observations.
4. When the magistrate shouts in protest of what is happening, a solider hits him in the _______________.
(a) Cheek bone.
5. What is the name of the girl who the magistrate seeks out in order to help him with his tension?
6. The girl expresses concern about living in ___________________ for her and for her child's life.
7. What is the magistrate deprived of when he is imprisoned for his various accusations and alleged crimes?
(a) Spare clothing.
8. People in town as well as the ___________ living nearby live in fear of barbarian attacks.
9. What is NOT one of the magistrate's old hobbies that he takes up after deciding to swear off women?
(a) Collecting stones.
(b) Deciphering writing.
(c) Looking at ancient writing.
(d) Collecting bones.
10. Men who dig wells in the area find __________________ behind the barracks in a place that seems to be a grave.
(b) Women's bones.
(d) Children's bones.
11. The magistrate is also questioned about his relationship to _______________ during his accusations.
(a) A soldier.
(b) The church.
(c) A street woman.
(d) The Colonel.
12. Only when the barbarians realize they cannot live without the skills of the ____________, perhaps then they can be won.
(d) White men.
13. The magistrate lives from ___________________, getting supplies from friends and from women he used to know well.
(a) The trash.
(b) City to city.
(c) The church.
(d) Meal to meal.
14. What destroys wildlife and creates more opportunities for the desert to advance into the area?
15. The magistrate decides all he can do is to go on living even though his journey may be ________________.
(d) Ending soon.
Short Answer Questions
1. _____________ spreads among the soldiers in response to the new news about the barbarians and their actions.
2. What does the magistrate demand in order to answer the accusations which are made against him?
3. With _________ men guarding the town, the magistrate assumes the leadership in town along with legal administration.
4. Children gather __________ which are then smoked and packed away for the coming months and seasons.
5. The magistrate's lack of ___________ encourages endless analysis of what's happened and what might happen.
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)