|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The magistrate realizes that visiting the women was a mistake and that he should just _________________.
(a) Make his own decisions.
(b) Be quiet.
(c) Sleep alone.
(d) Mind his own business.
2. When the magistrate leaves the girl's apartment, he proceeds toward the ____________ gate where he goes unrecognized.
3. Men who dig wells in the area find __________________ behind the barracks in a place that seems to be a grave.
(b) Children's bones.
(d) Women's bones.
4. ______________ who pass by every now and then move them as if the soldiers move the items as though the soldiers moved.
5. _____________ spreads among the soldiers in response to the new news about the barbarians and their actions.
6. The girl tells the magistrate that the native girl never knew what he _____________ of her and was never able to understand him.
7. The magistrate wanted to point out that it was worse to damage one's _____________ than to go ahead and to kill them.
8. The barbarians like to hide in the _________________ and wait for the soldiers to go away.
9. The magistrate meets with a ____________ from the Third Bureau who decides to accuse him of siding with the enemy.
(a) Warrant officer.
10. ________________ Mandel want the magistrate to get back to work in the settlement, according to the story.
11. Children gather __________ which are then smoked and packed away for the coming months and seasons.
(a) Tuna rolls.
12. The barbarians inspire fear which then turns into _____________ when they come at night and steal things they need.
13. What is NOT one of the things the magistrate feels the Empire is condoning as a part of this conflicted time?
(a) Destruction of property.
(b) Stealing of money.
(c) Raping of women.
(d) Deaths of civilians.
14. Where does Mandel hit the magistrate when the magistrate speaks up with his query in question #130?
15. What does the magistrate return to the crowd with after he can't stand to see the sight of the natives at first?
(b) Bucket of water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do two barbarian men bring into the settlement on a horse in order to inspire fear in the people?
2. The magistrate is released from prison without any means of ____________ at this time.
3. Unhappy with their relationship, the native girl used to ____________ to deal with the confusion and the pain.
4. The magistrate finds it difficult to get used to ______________ in the humiliation of his imprisonment.
5. The ___________ that the barbarians arm against their invaders spread, encouraging angst and conflicts among the people.
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)