|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Even when one of the soldiers is injured during the search for barbarians, the only soldiers just ____________ in response.
(d) Torture him.
2. The power of the Empire is derived from the infliction of pain on the ___________, a sign of victory over this group.
3. The magistrate is doubtful of his ability to instill ______________ when excising his judicial duties.
4. Some of the ____________ decide to leave because of the rumors which begin to spread in the settlement.
5. The troops return from their mission with the natives who have their cheeks and their wrists ____________.
(c) Cut off.
6. The girl the magistrate seeks out is helping her ______________ while taking care of her babies.
7. The magistrate wanted to point out that it was worse to damage one's _____________ than to go ahead and to kill them.
8. As the magistrate sits and thinks about his feelings for the native girl, he questions his ____________ for her.
9. What does the magistrate notice that makes him realize that he can not survive there?
(a) The many guards.
(b) Ruined crops.
(c) A barren silo.
(d) A raging illness.
10. The magistrate lives from ___________________, getting supplies from friends and from women he used to know well.
(a) The trash.
(b) City to city.
(c) The church.
(d) Meal to meal.
11. The magistrate's lack of ___________ encourages endless analysis of what's happened and what might happen.
12. The magistrate advises everyone to grow _________ so that they can survive the winter and attacks.
(c) Root vegetables.
13. The magistrate is also accused of making a trip to inform the ___________________ about the campaign against them.
(a) Other settlements.
14. Colonel Joll approaches the prisoners and uses dust to write the word ______________ on their backs.
15. What is NOT one of the things the soldiers bring with them when they depart the settlement with Mandel?
Short Answer Questions
1. People in town as well as the ___________ living nearby live in fear of barbarian attacks.
2. What is the name of the girl who the magistrate seeks out in order to help him with his tension?
3. _____________ spreads among the soldiers in response to the new news about the barbarians and their actions.
4. The girl that the magistrate loved became less and less of a ___________ when she was being tortured by the army.
5. The magistrate decides all he can do is to go on living even though his journey may be ________________.
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)