|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. _______________ barricade the gates in order to protect themselves from the approach of the barbarians.
(a) The people.
(b) The militia.
(c) The army.
(d) The children.
2. The magistrate has misgivings about the native girl regretting his failure to _______________.
(a) Keep her in his home.
(b) Understand her.
(c) Marry her.
(d) Be with her.
3. The girl that the magistrate loved became less and less of a ___________ when she was being tortured by the army.
4. What do Colonel Joll and his men find when they come into town for food and for new horses?
(a) Empty stables.
(c) Only women and children.
(d) A fire.
5. What do two barbarian men bring into the settlement on a horse in order to inspire fear in the people?
(b) A dead horse.
(c) Dead man.
(d) Severed limbs.
6. What is NOT one of the things the soldiers bring with them when they depart the settlement with Mandel?
7. The magistrate lives from ___________________, getting supplies from friends and from women he used to know well.
(a) The trash.
(b) City to city.
(c) The church.
(d) Meal to meal.
8. The soldiers use a _________ to search the empty huts that belong to the fishermen who are living nearby.
9. What does the magistrate return to the crowd with after he can't stand to see the sight of the natives at first?
(a) Bucket of water.
10. Where does the magistrate first go when he decides that he wants to leave the settlement?
(c) Girl's grave.
(d) A fruit store.
11. The girl tells the magistrate that the native girl never knew what he _____________ of her and was never able to understand him.
12. Only when the barbarians realize they cannot live without the skills of the ____________, perhaps then they can be won.
(c) White men.
13. When the magistrate leaves the girl's apartment, he proceeds toward the ____________ gate where he goes unrecognized.
14. The magistrate thinks the ___________ creates opportunities for both justice and injustice.
(a) Soldier's code.
(c) Barbaric conflict.
15. Unhappy with their relationship, the native girl used to ____________ to deal with the confusion and the pain.
(a) Run away.
(b) Sleep with other men.
(c) Take drugs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people throw at Colonel Joll's carriage when he and his men decide to leave?
2. The officer the magistrate has spoken with seems to be equally capable of ___________ as of fulfilling his duties.
3. The magistrate would have to consider performing his duties with caution as __________________ is quickly forgotten in outback places.
4. What does the magistrate end up suffering through when he sneaks into a girl's bedroom in order to hide?
5. As the magistrate sits and thinks about his feelings for the native girl, he questions his ____________ for her.
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)