|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The magistrate decides all he can do is to go on living even though his journey may be ________________.
(b) Ending soon.
2. The magistrate's lack of ___________ encourages endless analysis of what's happened and what might happen.
3. The barbarians inspire fear which then turns into _____________ when they come at night and steal things they need.
4. The magistrate prefers to bear the ___________ himself rather than to leave it for someone else to bear.
5. The power of the Empire is derived from the infliction of pain on the ___________, a sign of victory over this group.
6. What does the magistrate notice that makes him realize that he can not survive there?
(a) The many guards.
(b) A raging illness.
(c) A barren silo.
(d) Ruined crops.
7. The ___________ that the barbarians arm against their invaders spread, encouraging angst and conflicts among the people.
8. The magistrate decides it is best not to _______________ and to focus instead on what can be changed.
(a) Sleep with anyone.
(b) Dwell on the past.
(c) Listen to the girl.
(d) Love anyone.
9. What happens to the magistrate when he makes the accusation he does in #92?
(a) He is sent away.
(b) He is imprisoned.
(c) He is promoted.
(d) He is killed.
10. What do Colonel Joll and his men find when they come into town for food and for new horses?
(a) Only women and children.
(b) A fire.
(c) Empty stables.
11. What does the magistrate end up suffering through when he sneaks into a girl's bedroom in order to hide?
(a) A man's accusations that he killed someone.
(b) The girl's cries for freedom.
(c) Being under the bed while two people have sex.
12. What is NOT one of the magistrate's old hobbies that he takes up after deciding to swear off women?
(a) Looking at ancient writing.
(b) Collecting bones.
(c) Deciphering writing.
(d) Collecting stones.
13. Men who dig wells in the area find __________________ behind the barracks in a place that seems to be a grave.
(c) Children's bones.
(d) Women's bones.
14. The magistrate tries to explain that the people who live in the huts hide from the barbarians in the ______________.
15. The barbarians appear in other places, being cheated as they try to trade with _____________, according to the magistrate's observations.
Short Answer Questions
1. The magistrate learns that no one knows what happened to the ____________ who were unable to stay together.
2. Where does the magistrate first go when he decides that he wants to leave the settlement?
3. _______________ barricade the gates in order to protect themselves from the approach of the barbarians.
4. The magistrate recovers, finding himself interested in ___________ again during the new period of time in the settlement.
5. The magistrate asks Mandel how he can __________ and get on with his life as the people are being tortured.
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)