|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the magistrate returns to his cell, the guard warns him that he should remain silent about his ___________.
(b) Sex life.
2. The magistrate recovers, finding himself interested in ___________ again during the new period of time in the settlement.
(b) The law.
(c) The Colonel.
3. The magistrate asks Mandel how he can __________ and get on with his life as the people are being tortured.
4. Where does the magistrate first go when he decides that he wants to leave the settlement?
(a) A fruit store.
(c) Girl's grave.
5. The magistrate decides it is best not to _______________ and to focus instead on what can be changed.
(a) Sleep with anyone.
(b) Love anyone.
(c) Dwell on the past.
(d) Listen to the girl.
6. What does the magistrate notice that makes him realize that he can not survive there?
(a) A barren silo.
(b) A raging illness.
(c) Ruined crops.
(d) The many guards.
7. The magistrate advises everyone to grow _________ so that they can survive the winter and attacks.
(a) Root vegetables.
8. The magistrate has misgivings about the native girl regretting his failure to _______________.
(a) Keep her in his home.
(b) Marry her.
(c) Understand her.
(d) Be with her.
9. What do two barbarian men bring into the settlement on a horse in order to inspire fear in the people?
(b) Severed limbs.
(c) Dead man.
(d) A dead horse.
10. The barbarians inspire fear which then turns into _____________ when they come at night and steal things they need.
11. The magistrate tries to explain that the people who live in the huts hide from the barbarians in the ______________.
12. People in town as well as the ___________ living nearby live in fear of barbarian attacks.
13. The magistrate wanted to point out that it was worse to damage one's _____________ than to go ahead and to kill them.
14. As the guards tighten the wires of the prisoners, they then force the prisoners to _____________ in the area where they are taken.
15. _____________ spreads among the soldiers in response to the new news about the barbarians and their actions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the magistrate return to the crowd with after he can't stand to see the sight of the natives at first?
2. What does the magistrate demand in order to answer the accusations which are made against him?
3. As the magistrate sits and thinks about his feelings for the native girl, he questions his ____________ for her.
4. How does the magistrate end up escaping from his prison cell one day, though he returns later on?
5. The magistrate learns that no one knows what happened to the ____________ who were unable to stay together.
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)