|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. More ____________ are built for the barbarians tortured in front of their relatives as the story goes on.
(c) Prison cells.
2. The magistrate asks Mandel how he can __________ and get on with his life as the people are being tortured.
3. The native girl, as she was tortured, turned into a creature who believes in ______________, only awaiting her end.
4. Unhappy with their relationship, the native girl used to ____________ to deal with the confusion and the pain.
(a) Run away.
(b) Sleep with other men.
(d) Take drugs.
5. When the magistrate leaves the girl's apartment, he proceeds toward the ____________ gate where he goes unrecognized.
6. The magistrate is ashamed of the impact that the Empire had on the _____________________.
(a) Barbarian population.
(d) Safety of his people.
7. Where does the magistrate first go when he decides that he wants to leave the settlement?
(a) Girl's grave.
(b) A fruit store.
8. Even when one of the soldiers is injured during the search for barbarians, the only soldiers just ____________ in response.
(b) Torture him.
9. The magistrate accuses the ______ of triggering conflicts, being more barbaric than the barbarians themselves.
(d) Colonel Joll.
10. The magistrate learns that no one knows what happened to the ____________ who were unable to stay together.
11. The magistrate has misgivings about the native girl regretting his failure to _______________.
(a) Be with her.
(b) Keep her in his home.
(c) Understand her.
(d) Marry her.
12. The magistrate wanted to point out that it was worse to damage one's _____________ than to go ahead and to kill them.
13. The barbarians inspire fear which then turns into _____________ when they come at night and steal things they need.
14. The girl that the magistrate loved became less and less of a ___________ when she was being tortured by the army.
15. What destroys wildlife and creates more opportunities for the desert to advance into the area?
Short Answer Questions
1. The troops return from their mission with the natives who have their cheeks and their wrists ____________.
2. _____________ spreads among the soldiers in response to the new news about the barbarians and their actions.
3. The magistrate is doubtful of his ability to instill ______________ when excising his judicial duties.
4. The magistrate recovers, finding himself interested in ___________ again during the new period of time in the settlement.
5. No one wants to ___________ after the fishermen claim to have seen the barbarians nearby in the area.
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)