|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the magistrate returns to his cell, the guard warns him that he should remain silent about his ___________.
(d) Sex life.
2. What does the magistrate notice that makes him realize that he can not survive there?
(a) A raging illness.
(b) Ruined crops.
(c) A barren silo.
(d) The many guards.
3. The soldiers use a _________ to search the empty huts that belong to the fishermen who are living nearby.
4. The magistrate is also accused of making a trip to inform the ___________________ about the campaign against them.
(c) Other settlements.
5. The magistrate would have to consider performing his duties with caution as __________________ is quickly forgotten in outback places.
6. The magistrate finds it difficult to get used to ______________ in the humiliation of his imprisonment.
(a) Simple food.
(b) Having company.
(c) Sharing a room.
(d) Not having anything to do.
7. What is the magistrate deprived of when he is imprisoned for his various accusations and alleged crimes?
(b) Spare clothing.
8. The magistrate has misgivings about the native girl regretting his failure to _______________.
(a) Marry her.
(b) Be with her.
(c) Understand her.
(d) Keep her in his home.
9. The girl that the magistrate loved became less and less of a ___________ when she was being tortured by the army.
10. Mandel seems to be unaffected by the ____________ of other people, which puts the magistrate at odds with him.
11. No one wants to ___________ after the fishermen claim to have seen the barbarians nearby in the area.
(a) Gather water.
(b) Leave town.
(c) Gather wood.
12. The officer the magistrate has spoken with seems to be equally capable of ___________ as of fulfilling his duties.
13. The magistrate is doubtful of his ability to instill ______________ when excising his judicial duties.
14. What is NOT one of the things the soldiers bring with them when they depart the settlement with Mandel?
15. The barbarians like to hide in the _________________ and wait for the soldiers to go away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Children gather __________ which are then smoked and packed away for the coming months and seasons.
2. ____________ are placed alongside the rampart to simulate the presence of armies in the town.
3. The girl the magistrate seeks out is helping her ______________ while taking care of her babies.
4. Where does the magistrate first go when he decides that he wants to leave the settlement?
5. What happens to make surviving tougher during this particular section of the book and the story?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)