|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The magistrate recovers, finding himself interested in ___________ again during the new period of time in the settlement.
(c) The law.
(d) The Colonel.
2. The magistrate advises everyone to grow _________ so that they can survive the winter and attacks.
(a) Root vegetables.
3. What does the magistrate demand in order to answer the accusations which are made against him?
(a) A barbarian jury.
(b) Proper court.
(c) A tribunal.
(d) A lawyer.
4. The magistrate is also accused of making a trip to inform the ___________________ about the campaign against them.
(a) Other settlements.
5. The barbarians inspire fear which then turns into _____________ when they come at night and steal things they need.
6. The magistrate decides all he can do is to go on living even though his journey may be ________________.
(a) Ending soon.
7. ____________ are placed alongside the rampart to simulate the presence of armies in the town.
8. The magistrate is doubtful of his ability to instill ______________ when excising his judicial duties.
9. ________________ Mandel want the magistrate to get back to work in the settlement, according to the story.
10. What does the magistrate return to the crowd with after he can't stand to see the sight of the natives at first?
(a) Bucket of water.
11. The _____________ control the town, being regarded as the only protection from the barbarians who still threaten the area.
12. What is NOT one of the things the soldiers bring with them when they depart the settlement with Mandel?
13. _______________ barricade the gates in order to protect themselves from the approach of the barbarians.
(a) The children.
(b) The people.
(c) The militia.
(d) The army.
14. Unhappy with their relationship, the native girl used to ____________ to deal with the confusion and the pain.
(a) Run away.
(b) Take drugs.
(d) Sleep with other men.
15. ______________ who pass by every now and then move them as if the soldiers move the items as though the soldiers moved.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the magistrate tells Mandel that he is still awaiting trial, the magistrate learns there are no ____________ of him at all.
2. The soldiers use a _________ to search the empty huts that belong to the fishermen who are living nearby.
3. The officer the magistrate has spoken with seems to be equally capable of ___________ as of fulfilling his duties.
4. The magistrate accuses the ______ of triggering conflicts, being more barbaric than the barbarians themselves.
5. The magistrate thinks the ___________ creates opportunities for both justice and injustice.
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)