|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The magistrate finds the blind girl to be ___________________ and unresponsive when he tries to connect with her.
2. When the winter finally ends, the ___________ trapping can begin again, according to this section of the story.
3. The magistrate has disagreements with the _____________ while new conscripts arrive to replace old soldiers.
(a) His lover.
(b) The hired help.
(c) His wife.
(d) The military.
4. The Colonel likes to use various stages of torture when he interrogates people, increasing the _________ at each stage.
5. Over time, the magistrate begins to feel less attracted to ____________ and questions why she's in his house.
(a) The maid.
(b) The nurse.
(c) The child.
(d) The lover.
6. Who is the one being tortured which causes the person from #16 to react in the way that he/she does?
7. The prisoners have different _____________ and lack hygiene, which causes a number of problems while they are captured.
8. The barbarians stay away from the town during the winter months, dealing with the _____________.
(b) Lack of supplies.
(c) Lack of sun.
9. The Colonel brings back a large group of prisoners who turn out to be a group of _______________.
10. The group at the entrance of the settlement appears to be a ___________, but this is not what they actually are.
(a) Gang of barbarians.
(b) Welcoming party.
11. The boy admits to theft of __________ and arming by his clan during the torture by the Colonel.
12. Rumors begin to spread that the barbarians are thinking about threatening the _____________ during their actions.
13. When the blind girl finally tells the magistrate that she is willing to ____________, he finds himself to be indifferent.
(a) Marry him.
(b) Have sex.
(d) Work harder.
14. ___________ avoids sleeping with the others in the same tent on the way back from their trip.
(a) The lead soldier.
(b) The magistrate.
(c) The injured soldier.
(d) The girl.
15. What keeps the magistrate up at night during the time when the Colonel is interrogating the many prisoners?
(a) The screams of the prisoners.
(c) The mess hall.
(d) The army soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the blind girl seem to agree to do on a daily basis, though there has been no conversation?
2. After _________ days of traveling together, there is little food left in the supplies of the group.
3. Who seems to have injuries which are inconsistent to those mentioned on the interrogation report?
4. Who does the magistrate blame for all of the trouble that is happening among the people who are prisoners?
5. Who does the magistrate find to be sleeping when he visits the family the following day?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)