|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does one of the soldiers injure on their way back to the settlement after the journey?
(a) His foot.
(b) His back.
(c) His head.
(d) His wrist.
2. Who believes the family is a threat to the colony, which is why they are picked up on their way through town?
(a) Colonel Jobe.
(b) The magistrate.
(c) Colonel God.
(d) Colonel Joll.
3. What does the magistrate do for the girl when he goes out to find her on the streets after she runs away again?
(a) Washes her and bandages her.
(b) Locks her in her room.
(c) Gives her more money.
4. What does the Colonel want to obtain from the prisoners when he seeks to interrogate them in a cruel way?
5. The blind girl seems to communicate __________ while the magistrate seems to focus on communicating nuances.
6. The blind girl feels ____________ of the work that she has been given, so she runs away from the magistrate's home.
(a) Unable to handle all.
(b) Unwilling to do all.
7. In order to shorten their trip, the magistrate and the soldiers decide to take a path that has ___________________.
(a) Been used quite often.
(b) Clean water.
(c) Never been previously attempted.
(d) Underground portions.
8. What is NOT one of the hobbies that the magistrate returns to once the weather begins to turn cooler?
(a) Antelope hunting.
(b) Horseback riding.
(d) Collating maps.
9. The bulk of the story seems to be centered in what location in the world, according to the book notes?
(b) South Africa.
10. The magistrate shows the _______________ to the Colonel when the Colonel is in the town for a visit.
11. Once the group leaves the lake conditions, they have to kill one of ______________ that refuses to rise from the ground.
(a) The goats.
(b) The women.
(c) Their horses.
(d) The men.
12. What keeps the magistrate up at night during the time when the Colonel is interrogating the many prisoners?
(a) The mess hall.
(b) The army soldiers.
(c) The screams of the prisoners.
13. The barbarians are not interested in the ___________ they used to engage in until they started drinking and causing trouble.
14. All that the magistrate knows about the girl is that she is the ____________ of the man who died during the interrogation.
15. Who is imprisoned on the way into town, though this prisoner(s) does not seem like a likely candidate for a spy?
(b) Small boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. The magistrate wants to inform the ___________ about the trip he is going to take with the girl, but decides to not do so.
2. Due to her injured ____________, the girl needs to use sticks in order to get around from place to place.
3. After _________ days of traveling together, there is little food left in the supplies of the group.
4. Who is the one being tortured which causes the person from #16 to react in the way that he/she does?
5. The barbarians stay away from the town during the winter months, dealing with the _____________.
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)