|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first direction in which the magistrate and his men begin to travel with the girl?
2. The group at the entrance of the settlement appears to be a ___________, but this is not what they actually are.
(c) Welcoming party.
(d) Gang of barbarians.
3. The boy admits to theft of __________ and arming by his clan during the torture by the Colonel.
4. A magistrate is in charge of administering the _____________ in a colonial town at the start of this story.
(b) Security checks.
(c) Food stamps.
5. The magistrate questions whether he really is attracted to the blind girl or if he feels _____________ about her torture.
6. Who becomes more open as the journey progresses, conversing with the soldiers freely?
(a) The girl.
(b) The magistrate.
(c) The leader.
(d) The nurse.
7. What kind of work does the magistrate offer to the blind girl in order to help her have a warm place to stay and to work?
(c) Horse tending.
8. When the group returns back to the settlement, they are greeted by a group of ______________.
9. What do the men think is associated with bad luck, so they have to perform a purification ritual before continuing on?
(a) A long journey.
(c) Dead horses.
(d) Little food.
10. The bulk of the story seems to be centered in what location in the world, according to the book notes?
(b) South Africa.
11. The magistrate wants __________ to make up their mind about whether they want to stay with the group or head back to the settlement.
(a) His horse.
(b) A wise man.
(c) The girl
(d) The soldier.
12. What does the magistrate do for the girl when he goes out to find her on the streets after she runs away again?
(b) Gives her more money.
(c) Washes her and bandages her.
(d) Locks her in her room.
13. Who is the one being tortured which causes the person from #16 to react in the way that he/she does?
14. After _________ days of traveling together, there is little food left in the supplies of the group.
15. Who does the group encounter on their tenth day of traveling in the wilderness?
(a) The Bureau.
(b) The army.
(c) The barbarians.
(d) The women's family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is killed when he/she tries to protect another part of his/her family during an interrogation session?
2. Rumors begin to spread that the barbarians are thinking about threatening the _____________ during their actions.
3. What keeps the magistrate up at night during the time when the Colonel is interrogating the many prisoners?
4. Where are the prisoners placed in order to keep them from escaping from the colonial town?
5. The group continues to experience tough conditions, with _________ entering their clothing and their baggage as they travel.
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)