|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps the magistrate up at night during the time when the Colonel is interrogating the many prisoners?
(b) The mess hall.
(c) The army soldiers.
(d) The screams of the prisoners.
2. A magistrate is in charge of administering the _____________ in a colonial town at the start of this story.
(a) Food stamps.
(d) Security checks.
3. What does one of the soldiers injure on their way back to the settlement after the journey?
(a) His head.
(b) His foot.
(c) His back.
(d) His wrist.
4. The magistrate questions where torture is a ______________ method of eliciting information from the prisoners.
5. Who is imprisoned on the way into town, though this prisoner(s) does not seem like a likely candidate for a spy?
(d) Small boy.
6. The magistrate believes that his trip could be seen as a way to restore good relationships with the ______________.
(b) Norse folk.
7. Who does the magistrate find to be sleeping when he visits the family the following day?
8. The magistrate is upset about incidents between the soldiers and the prisoners especially when _________________.
(a) The guns go missing.
(b) One of the babies dies.
(c) The meals are served.
(d) The sun sets.
9. Who believes the family is a threat to the colony, which is why they are picked up on their way through town?
(a) Colonel Joll.
(b) Colonel Jobe.
(c) Colonel God.
(d) The magistrate.
10. The group continues to experience tough conditions, with _________ entering their clothing and their baggage as they travel.
11. The magistrate wants to inform the ___________ about the trip he is going to take with the girl, but decides to not do so.
12. Who has sent the Colonel to the area where the magistrate is in charge so that he can look into rumors that have spread?
(a) The Northerners.
(b) The militia.
(c) Third Bureau.
(d) The Whites.
13. The relationship the magistrate has with the __________ remains the same - distant and indifferent.
14. ______________wants to distance himself from all of the killing before his retirement begins to be a reality.
(a) The admiral.
(b) The magistrate.
(c) The Colonel.
(d) The President.
15. The magistrate separates their _____________ and begins to resume his normal social life.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the winter finally ends, the ___________ trapping can begin again, according to this section of the story.
2. What grows after the men begin to realize the purpose of the trip to the barbarians?
3. The group begins their journey by traveling to the ___________ and then the valleys, where the nomads usually travel.
4. Who is killed when he/she tries to protect another part of his/her family during an interrogation session?
5. The blind girl admits that she stays with the magistrate because she has no ______________________.
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)