|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens as the blind girl refuses to talk about her injuries as the magistrate asks her about them?
(a) She begins to cry.
(b) The magistrate falls asleep beside her.
(d) The girl falls asleep beside the magistrate.
2. Who is the one being tortured which causes the person from #16 to react in the way that he/she does?
3. A magistrate is in charge of administering the _____________ in a colonial town at the start of this story.
(b) Security checks.
(d) Food stamps.
4. The magistrate questions where torture is a ______________ method of eliciting information from the prisoners.
5. What does the Colonel want to obtain from the prisoners when he seeks to interrogate them in a cruel way?
6. The magistrate shows the _______________ to the Colonel when the Colonel is in the town for a visit.
7. What did the torturers use in order to blind the girl who is now working for the magistrate in his home?
(a) Hot fork-like tools.
(b) Hot water.
8. What was the actual destination of the prisoner(s) that was passing when this person or persons were picked up for interrogation?
(b) Family house.
9. What kind of work does the magistrate offer to the blind girl in order to help her have a warm place to stay and to work?
(c) Horse tending.
10. Over time, the magistrate begins to feel less attracted to ____________ and questions why she's in his house.
(a) The lover.
(b) The maid.
(c) The child.
(d) The nurse.
11. Who does the magistrate find to be sleeping when he visits the family the following day?
12. The blind girl admits that she stays with the magistrate because she has no ______________________.
(b) Money to spend on the streets.
(d) Place else to go.
13. Various measures are undertaken in anticipation of barbarian attacks, such as ___________ and vigilance.
14. The magistrate decides it's going to be best to take the girl back to _______________.
(a) The street.
(b) The Colonel.
(c) The barracks.
(d) Her people.
15. What is the first direction in which the magistrate and his men begin to travel with the girl?
Short Answer Questions
1. The relationship the magistrate has with the __________ remains the same - distant and indifferent.
2. The magistrate is worried that the answers the prisoners give while being tortured are only what the Colonel _______________.
3. The group at the entrance of the settlement appears to be a ___________, but this is not what they actually are.
4. What keeps the magistrate up at night during the time when the Colonel is interrogating the many prisoners?
5. What does the magistrate offer in exchange for the horses of the barbarians, though they refuse to do so?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)