|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the magistrate do for the girl when he goes out to find her on the streets after she runs away again?
(a) Washes her and bandages her.
(b) Gives her more money.
(d) Locks her in her room.
2. The barbarians stay away from the town during the winter months, dealing with the _____________.
(a) Lack of sun.
(d) Lack of supplies.
3. Once the group leaves the lake conditions, they have to kill one of ______________ that refuses to rise from the ground.
(a) Their horses.
(b) The women.
(c) The men.
(d) The goats.
4. What is the magistrate reaching, which makes the reader think that he might be older than others in the book?
(b) A new home.
(c) His admiral position.
5. What is NOT one of the hobbies that the magistrate returns to once the weather begins to turn cooler?
(a) Collating maps.
(b) Antelope hunting.
(c) Horseback riding.
6. Without informing anyone, the magistrate takes ___________ soldiers and heads into the mountains on the trip.
7. Over time, the magistrate begins to feel less attracted to ____________ and questions why she's in his house.
(a) The maid.
(b) The child.
(c) The nurse.
(d) The lover.
8. The magistrate separates their _____________ and begins to resume his normal social life.
9. The group at the entrance of the settlement appears to be a ___________, but this is not what they actually are.
(a) Gang of barbarians.
(d) Welcoming party.
10. Who is the one being tortured which causes the person from #16 to react in the way that he/she does?
11. What is the magistrate unable to provide when the girl asks him why he wants her to be back with him?
(a) A straight answer.
(b) A lie.
(c) A bag of food.
(d) A promise of love.
12. What kind of work does the magistrate offer to the blind girl in order to help her have a warm place to stay and to work?
(a) Horse tending.
13. What does the blind girl seem to agree to do on a daily basis, though there has been no conversation?
(a) Sleeping on the floor of the bedroom.
(b) The chores.
(c) The cooking.
(d) Bathing rituals.
14. Even though the winter has passed, the wind blowing through the ice makes ___________ difficult for the men.
15. The magistrate wants __________ to make up their mind about whether they want to stay with the group or head back to the settlement.
(a) The girl
(b) The soldier.
(c) A wise man.
(d) His horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to shorten their trip, the magistrate and the soldiers decide to take a path that has ___________________.
2. Who becomes more open as the journey progresses, conversing with the soldiers freely?
3. The soldiers carry _____________ and try to conserve food and water the best they can as they travel.
4. The girl says that she doesn't like _____________ and wants to stay with her own people.
5. Who does the magistrate find to be sleeping when he visits the family the following day?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)