|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Due to her injured ____________, the girl needs to use sticks in order to get around from place to place.
2. The nomads would usually follow the _____________ on the path the magistrate and the soldiers are starting to follow.
(a) Desert edge.
(b) Tree line.
(d) Old dead river bed.
3. The magistrate is upset about incidents between the soldiers and the prisoners especially when _________________.
(a) The sun sets.
(b) The guns go missing.
(c) One of the babies dies.
(d) The meals are served.
4. The bulk of the story seems to be centered in what location in the world, according to the book notes?
(b) South Africa.
5. The group continues to experience tough conditions, with _________ entering their clothing and their baggage as they travel.
6. Is the girl who works for the magistrate completely blind because of her interrogation torture?
(a) Yes, but she's hopeful it will heal.
(d) She was always blind.
7. Who does the magistrate find to be sleeping when he visits the family the following day?
8. A magistrate is in charge of administering the _____________ in a colonial town at the start of this story.
(b) Food stamps.
(d) Security checks.
9. The magistrate believes that the barbarians only different in their tolerance for ___________ and slovenliness, and the magistrate admires them.
10. The magistrate wants to inform the ___________ about the trip he is going to take with the girl, but decides to not do so.
11. What keeps the magistrate up at night during the time when the Colonel is interrogating the many prisoners?
(b) The screams of the prisoners.
(c) The mess hall.
(d) The army soldiers.
12. The group begins their journey by traveling to the ___________ and then the valleys, where the nomads usually travel.
13. The magistrate separates their _____________ and begins to resume his normal social life.
14. What is the magistrate reaching, which makes the reader think that he might be older than others in the book?
(a) A new home.
(c) His admiral position.
15. The soldiers carry _____________ and try to conserve food and water the best they can as they travel.
(c) First aid equipment.
Short Answer Questions
1. After _________ days of traveling together, there is little food left in the supplies of the group.
2. What is the first direction in which the magistrate and his men begin to travel with the girl?
3. The magistrate is worried that the answers the prisoners give while being tortured are only what the Colonel _______________.
4. The magistrate finds a blind girl begging on the street for ____________ on a cold winter day.
5. The magistrate questions whether he really is attracted to the blind girl or if he feels _____________ about her torture.
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)