|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the magistrate offer in exchange for the horses of the barbarians, though they refuse to do so?
2. How does the magistrate begin to inform the government about his actions, though he puts this aside?
(a) A letter.
(b) Smoke signals.
(c) A messenger.
(d) A telegram.
3. The blind girl feels ____________ of the work that she has been given, so she runs away from the magistrate's home.
(b) Unable to handle all.
(c) Unwilling to do all.
4. The relationship the magistrate has with the __________ remains the same - distant and indifferent.
5. The magistrate decides it's going to be best to take the girl back to _______________.
(a) Her people.
(b) The Colonel.
(c) The street.
(d) The barracks.
6. The prisoners have different _____________ and lack hygiene, which causes a number of problems while they are captured.
7. The group continues to experience tough conditions, with _________ entering their clothing and their baggage as they travel.
8. Even after the magistrate _____________________, he still questions whether he really wants to have her.
(a) Laughs with the girl.
(b) Continues on the journey.
(c) Begins to appreciate the girl.
(d) Has sex with the girl.
9. What do the men think is associated with bad luck, so they have to perform a purification ritual before continuing on?
(a) Dead horses.
(b) A long journey.
(c) Little food.
10. What is NOT one of the hobbies that the magistrate returns to once the weather begins to turn cooler?
(a) Horseback riding.
(b) Collating maps.
(c) Antelope hunting.
11. ______________ washes and bathes the blind girl each and every day, though it leaves this person feeling confused.
(a) The magistrate.
(b) The nursemaid.
(c) The soldier.
(d) The Colonel.
12. Rumors begin to spread that the barbarians are thinking about threatening the _____________ during their actions.
13. What does the Colonel want to obtain from the prisoners when he seeks to interrogate them in a cruel way?
14. What kind of work does the magistrate offer to the blind girl in order to help her have a warm place to stay and to work?
(d) Horse tending.
15. What keeps the magistrate up at night during the time when the Colonel is interrogating the many prisoners?
(b) The army soldiers.
(c) The screams of the prisoners.
(d) The mess hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. The magistrate thinks the barbarians became corrupted because they lost their _________ somewhere along the way.
2. What is the magistrate unable to provide when the girl asks him why he wants her to be back with him?
3. Who does the group encounter on their tenth day of traveling in the wilderness?
4. The magistrate is worried about the __________ of the girl while also being attracted to her beauty.
5. The barbarians are not interested in the ___________ they used to engage in until they started drinking and causing trouble.
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)