|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men think is associated with bad luck, so they have to perform a purification ritual before continuing on?
(a) Little food.
(b) A long journey.
(d) Dead horses.
2. The blind girl seems to communicate __________ while the magistrate seems to focus on communicating nuances.
3. How does the magistrate begin to inform the government about his actions, though he puts this aside?
(a) A telegram.
(b) Smoke signals.
(c) A messenger.
(d) A letter.
4. What did the torturers use in order to blind the girl who is now working for the magistrate in his home?
(a) Hot water.
(b) Hot fork-like tools.
5. The magistrate has disagreements with the _____________ while new conscripts arrive to replace old soldiers.
(a) His wife.
(b) The military.
(c) His lover.
(d) The hired help.
6. What does one of the soldiers injure on their way back to the settlement after the journey?
(a) His back.
(b) His foot.
(c) His wrist.
(d) His head.
7. The magistrate questions whether he really is attracted to the blind girl or if he feels _____________ about her torture.
8. ______________wants to distance himself from all of the killing before his retirement begins to be a reality.
(a) The admiral.
(b) The magistrate.
(c) The President.
(d) The Colonel.
9. The Colonel brings back a large group of prisoners who turn out to be a group of _______________.
10. Who is imprisoned on the way into town, though this prisoner(s) does not seem like a likely candidate for a spy?
(d) Small boy.
11. What kind of uprising is a part of the rumors which are being investigated in the area where the magistrate is?
12. The bulk of the story seems to be centered in what location in the world, according to the book notes?
(c) South Africa.
13. What is NOT one of the hobbies that the magistrate returns to once the weather begins to turn cooler?
(a) Collating maps.
(b) Horseback riding.
(d) Antelope hunting.
14. The blind girl feels ____________ of the work that she has been given, so she runs away from the magistrate's home.
(b) Unwilling to do all.
(c) Unable to handle all.
15. The Colonel uses the _____________ to organize a raid on the barbarians and to begin fighting back in the uprising.
Short Answer Questions
1. The magistrate believes that the barbarians only different in their tolerance for ___________ and slovenliness, and the magistrate admires them.
2. The blind girl admits that she stays with the magistrate because she has no ______________________.
3. The magistrate realizes that one of the family members has been ________________, but the evidence was hidden.
4. Who does the magistrate find to be sleeping when he visits the family the following day?
5. Who seems to have injuries which are inconsistent to those mentioned on the interrogation report?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)