|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not among the descriptors George uses to describe Martha during this section?
2. When, according to George,did he receive the fateful telegram?
3. George compares Nick to what animal as they argue about his upsetting Honey?
4. What does George tell Martha is the first thing they have to do?
5. What three words are repeated in relation to George and Martha at the beginning of the third act?
Essay Topic 1
Repetition of phrases is a central component of Albee's writing. Write an essay about the purpose of this repetition. Defend your position with paragraphs about the following repeated phrases:
Part 1) Snap
Part 2)Truth and Illusion
Part 3) She's slim-hipped
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of violence in the play, both physical and verbal. Which is more effective in the narrative? Use specific examples from the play to defend your position.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to write an essay:
1) Discuss the motif of neglectful, imperfect and absent parents in the play. How do you think the reemergence of this in characters' lives impacts the the action.
2) Discuss the idea of children as healing, and the desperation for love among the characters born from this idea. Use Honey and Martha's characters as subjects for this essay.
This section contains 1,445 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)