|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Honey obliquely mentions her hysterical pregnancy when she comes back into the room, but she calls it something else. What does she call it?
2. In what sport is George's protagonist a champion?
3. What landmark does George compare Honey to when she talks about getting sick?
4. When, according to George,did he receive the fateful telegram?
5. What does George suggest is under the bridge instead of water?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to write an essay:
1) Discuss the motif of neglectful, imperfect and absent parents in the play. How do you think the reemergence of this in characters' lives impacts the the action.
2) Discuss the idea of children as healing, and the desperation for love among the characters born from this idea. Use Honey and Martha's characters as subjects for this essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about George and Martha's fictitious son, detailing how you believe they have used him as a weapon. Frame your essay by discussing three specific stories about him from the text. Be sure to mention who told the story, and whether the other contradicted it.
Essay Topic 3
Fear of reality is a major theme in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. Write an essay on this topic and how it affects the action:
Part 1) George frequently tells and retells the story of a boy who accidentally kills his parents and suffers a descent into insanity. In what ways is this based in reality and in what ways is it fictional?
Part 2) Martha creates a detailed and poetic life for her "son." What purpose does this serve for her?
Part 3) How does the final moment of the the play signify a terror at having to face the real world?
This section contains 1,428 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)