|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not among the descriptors George uses to describe Martha during this section?
2. What would Martha's father not allow George to do recently?
3. According to Martha and George, which two ideas are getting confused?
4. What is George retrieving when he leaves Nick and Martha alone?
5. What are we trying to find when we peel away at each other, according to George?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several of the characters have nervous habits: Martha chews ice, Honey peels labels, etc. Write an essay on the significance of these nervous tick to the action of the play. What do they say about the character and about the themes of the work?
Essay Topic 2
Fear of reality is a major theme in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. Write an essay on this topic and how it affects the action:
Part 1) George frequently tells and retells the story of a boy who accidentally kills his parents and suffers a descent into insanity. In what ways is this based in reality and in what ways is it fictional?
Part 2) Martha creates a detailed and poetic life for her "son." What purpose does this serve for her?
Part 3) How does the final moment of the the play signify a terror at having to face the real world?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the decision by Edward Albee to name his leads characters, George and Martha, after the first president and his wife. Citing examples from the text, defend your thesis statement.
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)