|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country does George warn against when he returns to the room?
2. What does George do with his book in the last moment of Act 2?
3. In what liquor does George tell Martha to put the flowers?
4. Where does George say he picked the flowers?
5. Which of the following is not on the list of dreadful things waiting for their son when he returns home in the summer?
Essay Topic 1
Repetition of phrases is a central component of Albee's writing. Write an essay about the purpose of this repetition. Defend your position with paragraphs about the following repeated phrases:
Part 1) Snap
Part 2)Truth and Illusion
Part 3) She's slim-hipped
Essay Topic 2
Three times in the play, Honey is reduced to tears or gets sick. Write a paragraph about each of these breakdowns - one in each act - and how, together, they signify the yielding of social grace and denial to the reality of a desperate, helpless life.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the decision by Edward Albee to name his leads characters, George and Martha, after the first president and his wife. Citing examples from the text, defend your thesis statement.
This section contains 1,434 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)