|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of weapon does Martha call herself when Nick says she hurt him?
2. What does Nick blame his bad sexual performance on?
3. According to Martha, what does weakness cry out against?
4. To what animal does George compare Martha when he calls her lovely?
5. What type of flowers is George carrying with him when he returns to the house?
Essay Topic 1
Repetition of phrases is a central component of Albee's writing. Write an essay about the purpose of this repetition. Defend your position with paragraphs about the following repeated phrases:
Part 1) Snap
Part 2)Truth and Illusion
Part 3) She's slim-hipped
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to write an essay:
1) Discuss the motif of neglectful, imperfect and absent parents in the play. How do you think the reemergence of this in characters' lives impacts the the action.
2) Discuss the idea of children as healing, and the desperation for love among the characters born from this idea. Use Honey and Martha's characters as subjects for this essay.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Nick's character arc. How does he change from the beginning of the play to the end? What has he learned about himself, his career, and his marriage, and what has he lost?
This section contains 1,438 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)