|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was George sailing past when he saw the moon come back up after going down?
2. How does George silence Martha as she protests the game?
3. To what does Martha liken George's torment of Nick at the beginning of this scene?
4. Which of the following is not something to which Martha compares herself in her Act 3 monologue?
5. What type of flowers is George carrying with him when he returns to the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the three games that the are played over the course of the play. Who drives the game, and what is its objective:
Part 1) Humiliate the Host
Part 2) Get the Guests
Part 3) Bringing Up Baby
Essay Topic 2
The collapse of inhibitions - mostly, but not exclusively, as a result of drink - is a key driver of action in the play. Write an essay about the disappearance of inhibitions as time goes on:
Part 1) Examine the character of Honey. How is the entirety of her character arc a breaking down of inhibitions leading to her final admission in Act 3.
Part 2) How does the relationship between Nick and Martha change over the course of the play as a result of the breaking down of inhibitions?
Part 3) How is George's revelation about his child the ultimate collapse of his and Martha's inhibitions?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Nick's character arc. How does he change from the beginning of the play to the end? What has he learned about himself, his career, and his marriage, and what has he lost?
This section contains 1,449 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)