|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is George retrieving when he leaves Nick and Martha alone?
2. What does Martha knock into while she is necking with Nick?
3. What does George do during his game that offends Nick?
4. How do George and Martha agree to describe the final passage of the night?
5. Which of the following is not something to which Martha compares herself in her Act 3 monologue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several of the characters have nervous habits: Martha chews ice, Honey peels labels, etc. Write an essay on the significance of these nervous tick to the action of the play. What do they say about the character and about the themes of the work?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to write an essay:
1) Discuss the motif of neglectful, imperfect and absent parents in the play. How do you think the reemergence of this in characters' lives impacts the the action.
2) Discuss the idea of children as healing, and the desperation for love among the characters born from this idea. Use Honey and Martha's characters as subjects for this essay.
Essay Topic 3
Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf is a play about rapidly shifting alliances. Compare and contrast the last scene of Act 2 - where Nick and Martha team up against George - and the middle of Act 3 - where George and Martha bombard Nick. What has changed between these two scenes and what is each of the three characters trying to accomplish at each point in time?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)