|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month was Martha's son born?
2. Which composer does George put on as dance music?
3. Where does George say he picked the flowers?
4. What does Martha accuse George of doing when she returns to the room?
5. Honey obliquely mentions her hysterical pregnancy when she comes back into the room, but she calls it something else. What does she call it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the decision by Edward Albee to name his leads characters, George and Martha, after the first president and his wife. Citing examples from the text, defend your thesis statement.
Essay Topic 2
Nick and Honey are, in many ways, representations of George and Martha at a younger age. They are more hopeful and idealistic about the future. Write an essay about this topic:
Part 1) Nick and George discuss, at length, the possibility of Nick taking over the university. How does the cocky optimism of Nick represent the same ambitions that George had at his age?
Part 2) How does Honey's desire for a child and her history with conception mirror that of Martha?
Part 3) Which relationship do you believe knows more about each other?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about George and Martha's fictitious son, detailing how you believe they have used him as a weapon. Frame your essay by discussing three specific stories about him from the text. Be sure to mention who told the story, and whether the other contradicted it.
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)