|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not among the descriptors George uses to describe Martha during this section?
2. When, according to George,did he receive the fateful telegram?
3. George compares Nick to what animal as they argue about his upsetting Honey?
4. What does George tell Martha is the first thing they have to do?
5. What three words are repeated in relation to George and Martha at the beginning of the third act?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to write an essay:
1) Discuss the motif of neglectful, imperfect and absent parents in the play. How do you think the reemergence of this in characters' lives impacts the the action.
2) Discuss the idea of children as healing, and the desperation for love among the characters born from this idea. Use Honey and Martha's characters as subjects for this essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Nick's character arc. How does he change from the beginning of the play to the end? What has he learned about himself, his career, and his marriage, and what has he lost?
Essay Topic 3
Nick and Honey are, in many ways, representations of George and Martha at a younger age. They are more hopeful and idealistic about the future. Write an essay about this topic:
Part 1) Nick and George discuss, at length, the possibility of Nick taking over the university. How does the cocky optimism of Nick represent the same ambitions that George had at his age?
Part 2) How does Honey's desire for a child and her history with conception mirror that of Martha?
Part 3) Which relationship do you believe knows more about each other?
This section contains 1,445 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)