|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to George, how old was their son when Martha was still trying to bathe him herself?
2. Which of the following is not among the descriptors George uses to describe Martha during this section?
3. What onomatopoetic word does Martha use repeatedly to describe the moment she realized George was a lost cause?
4. About what time is it at the end of the second act?
5. What type of weapon does Martha call herself when Nick says she hurt him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The past is an ambiguous thing in Albee's play. It is never entirely concrete and often changes depending on the speaker. Write a paragraph about each of the following stories told by a character about the past. How does the story change with each telling? Is the story true in any way?
Part 1) The story of Nick and Honey's courtship
Part 2) The story of George's tragic schoolfriend
Part 3) The story of George and Martha's son's childhood
Essay Topic 2
Nick and Honey are, in many ways, representations of George and Martha at a younger age. They are more hopeful and idealistic about the future. Write an essay about this topic:
Part 1) Nick and George discuss, at length, the possibility of Nick taking over the university. How does the cocky optimism of Nick represent the same ambitions that George had at his age?
Part 2) How does Honey's desire for a child and her history with conception mirror that of Martha?
Part 3) Which relationship do you believe knows more about each other?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about George and Martha's fictitious son, detailing how you believe they have used him as a weapon. Frame your essay by discussing three specific stories about him from the text. Be sure to mention who told the story, and whether the other contradicted it.
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)