|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of George is broken according to Nick?
2. What is the Western Union courier's name?
3. Which composer does George put on as dance music?
4. What kind of animal does Honey pretend to be when she enters the room?
5. Honey obliquely mentions her hysterical pregnancy when she comes back into the room, but she calls it something else. What does she call it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Three times in the play, Honey is reduced to tears or gets sick. Write a paragraph about each of these breakdowns - one in each act - and how, together, they signify the yielding of social grace and denial to the reality of a desperate, helpless life.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of violence in the play, both physical and verbal. Which is more effective in the narrative? Use specific examples from the play to defend your position.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to write an essay:
1.) How is the university system portrayed in the play? Is it portrayed as high-minded in any way? What kind of skills are required to be successful in the university? Use George and Nick's conversations as corroboration.
2.) Discuss the role of professor's lives in the larger setting of the play. In what ways ere they integral to both the political and social landscape of the college. How do Honey and Martha represent two important functions of university wives?
3.) Compare and contract Nick and George's attitudes toward the university. What will Nick do for advancement that George will not?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)