|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color was the son's hair when he was born?
2. In what sport is George's protagonist a champion?
3. Where was George sailing past when he saw the moon come back up after going down?
4. What time of day was George and Martha's son killed?
5. Which of the following is not a party game mentioned by George in the second act?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The past is an ambiguous thing in Albee's play. It is never entirely concrete and often changes depending on the speaker. Write a paragraph about each of the following stories told by a character about the past. How does the story change with each telling? Is the story true in any way?
Part 1) The story of Nick and Honey's courtship
Part 2) The story of George's tragic schoolfriend
Part 3) The story of George and Martha's son's childhood
Essay Topic 2
Several of the characters have nervous habits: Martha chews ice, Honey peels labels, etc. Write an essay on the significance of these nervous tick to the action of the play. What do they say about the character and about the themes of the work?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about George's unpublished book. How has George taken a real event from his life, fictionalized it, and then recreated it in has life as a separate event? What does this say about him as a character?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)