Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not among the descriptors George uses to describe Martha during this section?
2. When, according to George,did he receive the fateful telegram?
3. George compares Nick to what animal as they argue about his upsetting Honey?
4. What does George tell Martha is the first thing they have to do?
5. What three words are repeated in relation to George and Martha at the beginning of the third act?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the decision by Edward Albee to name his leads characters, George and Martha, after the first president and his wife. Citing examples from the text, defend your thesis statement.
Essay Topic 2
Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf is a play about rapidly shifting alliances. Compare and contrast the last scene of Act 2 - where Nick and Martha team up against George - and the middle of Act 3 - where George and Martha bombard Nick. What has changed between these two scenes and what is each of the three characters trying to accomplish at each point in time?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to write an essay:
1.) How is the university system portrayed in the play? Is it portrayed as high-minded in any way? What kind of skills are required to be successful in the university? Use George and Nick's conversations as corroboration.
2.) Discuss the role of professor's lives in the larger setting of the play. In what ways ere they integral to both the political and social landscape of the college. How do Honey and Martha represent two important functions of university wives?
3.) Compare and contract Nick and George's attitudes toward the university. What will Nick do for advancement that George will not?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)