|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is not present in the tunnel?
2. Why does the Mastermind reject killing Cross?
3. What time do Cross and Hughes arrive at the party?
4. How are the vampires and Hughes disguised?
5. What is the biggest clue about Craig's obsession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of Cross' trip to see Martin Craig? Does Martin confirm or deny Cross' analysis?
2. Why do some of the fetish ball participants agree to talk during the police interview?
3. Why does the Mastermind choose not to kill Cross? How long will the Mastermind wait to murder the detective?
4. What is the purpose of the press conference with Cross and Craig? Was it effective?
5. Who appears in place of Daniel and Charles? What was the purpose of the switch?
6. Why is the Mastermind angry with Cross? Is the anger reasonable?
7. Why are the Santa Cruz police reluctant to help Hughes? How does Hughes react to Lieutenant Conover?
8. Why does Cross think Craig killed his brother? Is the feeling accurate?
9. How does Cross identify Jamilla from the other robed figures? How sure was Cross of the identification?
10. Why does Cross fly to California? Does the sudden flight have more to do with the case or Jamilla?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader is encouraged to see similarities between Cross and Craig. Compare and contrast the characters' personal and professional personalities.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's choice of settings for the book. Why do you think New Orleans was the site of the climax for the vampire murders? Would you have chosen a different setting?
Essay Topic 3
Cross manages to take time out from the case to spend at home with Nana and the kids. Describe how the breaks affect Cross. Is the detective able to put the case aside in order to spend time at home? How does Nana react to the hectic lifestyle?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)