|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes missing?
2. Who is Burns?
3. The Mastermind has no use for...
4. Which of the performers catches Cross' eye?
5. Whose birthday does Cross forget?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cross handle staying at home during his recovery?
2. Why does Cross fly to California? Does the sudden flight have more to do with the case or Jamilla?
3. Why is Craig so pleased with himself and his unique accomplishments?
4. What is Hughes' reaction when Cross warns her not to go to Santa Cruz alone? Does Hughes heed the warning?
5. Why do such famous magicians perform in small venues? If there is opportunity to make more money, why settle for less?
6. Why does the Mastermind choose not to kill Cross? How long will the Mastermind wait to murder the detective?
7. Why does Craig suspect that the FBI knows about his alter ego?
8. Why does Cross not feel the usual sense of relief after Westin is caught?
9. How does the crowd at the fetish ball react when they realize Cross and Hughes are cops?
10. Why is William cautious about choosing a victim in New Orleans? Does it deter him from feeding on a victim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the Mastermind want Cross to be single? Why is it important for Cross to work alone? How does Cross' work with a partner affect the battle with the Mastermind?
Essay Topic 2
Cross manages to take time out from the case to spend at home with Nana and the kids. Describe how the breaks affect Cross. Is the detective able to put the case aside in order to spend time at home? How does Nana react to the hectic lifestyle?
Essay Topic 3
John Sampson typically plays an integral role in the Alex Cross series. However, in "Violets are Blue," Sampson has a supporting, albeit important, role. Why is Sampson's role in the story important? How might the story have changed if Sampson had not been involved?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)