|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Mastermind when he calls Cross?
2. Why are the visitors worried about finding prey?
3. Where does Cross wait for the Mastermind?
4. Where does Cross meet up with his family?
5. What is the irony in Craig's murderous career?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Peter Westin in the black truck? Is Cross surprised at Westin's presence?
2. Why is Craig so pleased with himself and his unique accomplishments?
3. Why is Jamilla so angry with Craig? Is the anger based on reality or perception?
4. Why does Cross resign from the police department? How will the change affect Nana and the kids?
5. Why do such famous magicians perform in small venues? If there is opportunity to make more money, why settle for less?
6. What prompts Cross to wonder about the new Sire? Will there be someone to step into the role?
7. What is the result of Cross' trip to see Martin Craig? Does Martin confirm or deny Cross' analysis?
8. Why does Cross not feel the usual sense of relief after Westin is caught?
9. What does Cross find in the tunnel? How is it related to the case?
10. Why is William cautious about choosing a victim in New Orleans? Does it deter him from feeding on a victim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cross talks about serial killers and how it is common for the killers to have fulfilling personal relationships. How is this possible? Is this due to a mental illness or personality disorder? Do you think Kyle Craig's spouse is aware of his activities?
Essay Topic 2
During the fetish ball, two vampire princes are murdered before they can be crowned. What was the purpose of the murders? Were the victims part of the plan or were their deaths borne of opportunity?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the story, Cross knocks Craig unconscious and then phones home to capture the killer's confession on an answering machine. How did Cross known Craig would confess? Examine Patterson's use of irony in this final stage using Craig's tool of terror.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)