|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the vampires and Hughes disguised?
2. Why does the Mastermind target Cross' partners?
3. Why does Craig stay away?
4. What is the rank of Harry Conover?
5. What does Hughes pretend to be looking for when she is approached?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the Santa Cruz police reluctant to help Hughes? How does Hughes react to Lieutenant Conover?
2. What prompts Cross to wonder about the new Sire? Will there be someone to step into the role?
3. Why does the Mastermind choose not to kill Cross? How long will the Mastermind wait to murder the detective?
4. How does Cross handle staying at home during his recovery?
5. What is Hughes' reaction when Cross warns her not to go to Santa Cruz alone? Does Hughes heed the warning?
6. What warning do William and Michael give to Jamilla? What is the consequence of the warning?
7. Why does Cross think Craig killed his brother? Is the feeling accurate?
8. Who appears in place of Daniel and Charles? What was the purpose of the switch?
9. What is the purpose of the press conference with Cross and Craig? Was it effective?
10. Why is the Mastermind angry with Cross? Is the anger reasonable?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jamilla Hughes is a strong, no nonsense woman which is attractive to Cross. Examine Cross' relationship with strong women and how they benefit the detective's life.
Essay Topic 2
During the fetish ball, two vampire princes are murdered before they can be crowned. What was the purpose of the murders? Were the victims part of the plan or were their deaths borne of opportunity?
Essay Topic 3
Early in the story, Michael refers to the cops as "toothless." Why did Michael make that comment? Examine the author's use of irony in the scene when Craig has his teeth knocked out by Cross.
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)