|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Craig use to stab Cross?
2. The Mastermind has no use for...
3. Why was Betsey Cavelierre murdered?
4. Where does Craig set up the FBI?
5. What does Cross find in the darkened place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Mastermind choose not to kill Cross? How long will the Mastermind wait to murder the detective?
2. What makes Cross think that Craig is about to do something to hurt his family?
3. Why is Jamilla so angry with Craig? Is the anger based on reality or perception?
4. What is the purpose of the press conference with Cross and Craig? Was it effective?
5. Why do such famous magicians perform in small venues? If there is opportunity to make more money, why settle for less?
6. How does Cross react when Jamilla reiterates her intense dislike of Craig?
7. How is Cross able to stay in San Francisco when his family might be in danger?
8. What prompts Cross to wonder about the new Sire? Will there be someone to step into the role?
9. Why are the Santa Cruz police reluctant to help Hughes? How does Hughes react to Lieutenant Conover?
10. Why does Cross think Craig killed his brother? Is the feeling accurate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jamilla Hughes is a strong, no nonsense woman which is attractive to Cross. Examine Cross' relationship with strong women and how they benefit the detective's life.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's choice of settings for the book. Why do you think New Orleans was the site of the climax for the vampire murders? Would you have chosen a different setting?
Essay Topic 3
Cross manages to take time out from the case to spend at home with Nana and the kids. Describe how the breaks affect Cross. Is the detective able to put the case aside in order to spend time at home? How does Nana react to the hectic lifestyle?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)