|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Mastermind target Cross' partners?
2. Who do the magicians emulate?
3. Who is jealous of Cross' feelings for a colleague?
4. Who is Burns?
5. How are the vampires and Hughes disguised?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cross resign from the police department? How will the change affect Nana and the kids?
2. Why is the Mastermind angry with Cross? Is the anger reasonable?
3. What is the result of Cross' trip to see Martin Craig? Does Martin confirm or deny Cross' analysis?
4. Why is Craig so pleased with himself and his unique accomplishments?
5. Why does Cross think Craig killed his brother? Is the feeling accurate?
6. Why do some of the fetish ball participants agree to talk during the police interview?
7. What is Hughes' reaction when Cross warns her not to go to Santa Cruz alone? Does Hughes heed the warning?
8. Why is Cross in a panic when he reaches San Francisco?
9. Why does Cross not feel the usual sense of relief after Westin is caught?
10. Why do such famous magicians perform in small venues? If there is opportunity to make more money, why settle for less?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cross manages to take time out from the case to spend at home with Nana and the kids. Describe how the breaks affect Cross. Is the detective able to put the case aside in order to spend time at home? How does Nana react to the hectic lifestyle?
Essay Topic 2
Cross and Jamilla are in the midst of a budding relationship during the case. Explain how the relationship affects the investigation. Did the involvement change anything? Were Cross' behavior or motives different during Jamilla's rescue because of the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
John Sampson typically plays an integral role in the Alex Cross series. However, in "Violets are Blue," Sampson has a supporting, albeit important, role. Why is Sampson's role in the story important? How might the story have changed if Sampson had not been involved?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)