|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the magicians emulate?
2. Who joins Cross in his plan to discredit Craig?
3. Who spots the cops at the magicians' house?
4. How did Craig's brother supposedly die?
5. Who hands out the assignments for the newest operation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Cross to wonder about the new Sire? Will there be someone to step into the role?
2. Why does Cross resign from the police department? How will the change affect Nana and the kids?
3. How does Cross react when Jamilla reiterates her intense dislike of Craig?
4. Why does Cross fly to California? Does the sudden flight have more to do with the case or Jamilla?
5. Why do such famous magicians perform in small venues? If there is opportunity to make more money, why settle for less?
6. Why is Cross in a panic when he reaches San Francisco?
7. What warning do William and Michael give to Jamilla? What is the consequence of the warning?
8. Why is Jamilla so angry with Craig? Is the anger based on reality or perception?
9. Why are the Santa Cruz police reluctant to help Hughes? How does Hughes react to Lieutenant Conover?
10. What is the result of Cross' trip to see Martin Craig? Does Martin confirm or deny Cross' analysis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kyle Craig is a murderous sociopath who is able to fool master profiler Cross. How is this possible? Does the friendship between Cross and Craig have any effect on Cross' opinions?
Essay Topic 2
What is a fetish? What is the purpose of having a fetish ball? Would the story be able to move forward given a different setting for the final murders?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's choice of settings for the book. Why do you think New Orleans was the site of the climax for the vampire murders? Would you have chosen a different setting?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)