|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the rank of Harry Conover?
2. How does Craig's living brother want him to be punished?
3. Why are the visitors worried about finding prey?
4. Where is the Mastermind when he calls Cross?
5. Where are the police headed to find the murderers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cross find in the tunnel? How is it related to the case?
2. Why is the Mastermind angry with Cross? Is the anger reasonable?
3. What is Cross' opinion of Charles? Is the opinion based on fact or instinct?
4. Why do such famous magicians perform in small venues? If there is opportunity to make more money, why settle for less?
5. How is Cross able to stay in San Francisco when his family might be in danger?
6. What prompts Cross to wonder about the new Sire? Will there be someone to step into the role?
7. Who appears in place of Daniel and Charles? What was the purpose of the switch?
8. Why is Craig so pleased with himself and his unique accomplishments?
9. How does Cross react when Jamilla reiterates her intense dislike of Craig?
10. Why does Cross not feel the usual sense of relief after Westin is caught?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the fetish ball, two vampire princes are murdered before they can be crowned. What was the purpose of the murders? Were the victims part of the plan or were their deaths borne of opportunity?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the story, Cross knocks Craig unconscious and then phones home to capture the killer's confession on an answering machine. How did Cross known Craig would confess? Examine Patterson's use of irony in this final stage using Craig's tool of terror.
Essay Topic 3
Part of the Mastermind's plan was to stalk and harass Cross before killing the detective. The Mastermind made good use of the phone to complete the plan. Craig electronically altered his voice and set up a remote trigger to place the calls. Explain how this might have been achieved.
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)