|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Cross go while Hughes goes for help?
2. How does Sampson learn about Mastermind?
3. Craig's description of what sends Cross over the edge?
4. Where does the tunnel lead?
5. What was the purpose of Daniel and Charles' deaths?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do such famous magicians perform in small venues? If there is opportunity to make more money, why settle for less?
2. What is the result of Cross' trip to see Martin Craig? Does Martin confirm or deny Cross' analysis?
3. What does Cross find in the tunnel? How is it related to the case?
4. Who appears in place of Daniel and Charles? What was the purpose of the switch?
5. Why does Cross fly to California? Does the sudden flight have more to do with the case or Jamilla?
6. Why are the Santa Cruz police reluctant to help Hughes? How does Hughes react to Lieutenant Conover?
7. How does Cross handle staying at home during his recovery?
8. Why does the Mastermind call Cross to talk about the Taylors' murders?
9. Why does Cross resign from the police department? How will the change affect Nana and the kids?
10. What prompts Cross to wonder about the new Sire? Will there be someone to step into the role?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader is encouraged to see similarities between Cross and Craig. Compare and contrast the characters' personal and professional personalities.
Essay Topic 2
Cross had to face Craig one more time at Kate McTiernan's house. How did the confrontation change Cross? Do you think Kyle Craig will be put in prison for life? How will the absence of the Mastermind affect Cross' future cases?
Essay Topic 3
Cross manages to take time out from the case to spend at home with Nana and the kids. Describe how the breaks affect Cross. Is the detective able to put the case aside in order to spend time at home? How does Nana react to the hectic lifestyle?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)