|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprising decision does Cross make?
2. The meeting causes Cross to be afraid of what object?
3. What does the Mastermind do at the Cross house?
4. Cross is relieved when what agent arrives on the scene?
5. In what hotel do the victims have a suite?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the police believe that more than two vampires are responsible for the murders? What proof do they have that it might be true?
2. What prompted William and Michael's love of extreme sports? Why are the sports so appealing?
3. Who are the kids found in the old house? How do they react to outsiders?
4. What is Alex Cross' perception of Jamilla Hughes? Why is Cross reluctant to get close to Jamilla?
5. Who is John Sampson? How does Sampson play an integral role in the story?
6. Who is Irwin Snyder? Why is he important to the story?
7. Why does Cross think that becoming involved with Jamilla could be dangerous? How does Jamilla react to Cross' distance?
8. Why did Irwin Snyder kill his parents? Were the murders part of the larger plot?
9. How are Craig and Cross tied to Kate McTiernan? How has their relationship changed?
10. What are some of the reasons that becoming an FBI agent seems appealing to Cross? How would leaving the Metro police department affect Cross?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Craig fell in love with Kate McTiernan during the Casanova case and still has feelings for the doctor. Why does Craig choose to involve Kate in the plot to kill Cross? Is Craig able to keep his affections separate from the plan?
Essay Topic 2
The reader is encouraged to see similarities between Cross and Craig. Compare and contrast the characters' personal and professional personalities.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the story, Cross knocks Craig unconscious and then phones home to capture the killer's confession on an answering machine. How did Cross known Craig would confess? Examine Patterson's use of irony in this final stage using Craig's tool of terror.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)