|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sampson suggests a visit to whom?
2. How do the police know the motive isn't robbery?
3. Who watches the Cross house at night?
4. Where does the next murder occur?
5. Where does Cross live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why aren't the killers interested in money or material possessions? Why do the vampires always leave money and jewelery behind after killing a victim?
2. What is the purpose of the Mastermind breaking into the Cross house?
3. Who is Irwin Snyder? Why is he important to the story?
4. What do you think the killers meant when they told Martha Wiatt that she had been "chosen?" Why is it important for the vampires to "choose" their victims?
5. There are strong expectations put upon Cross about attending his son's concert. Why is there such significance about Cross' presence?
6. Why does Cross think that becoming involved with Jamilla could be dangerous? How does Jamilla react to Cross' distance?
7. What initially deters the Mastermind from killing Cross? Why does the Mastermind postpone the plan?
8. What did Snyder intend to do after the murders? How did Irwin plan to live out his dreams of being a true vampire?
9. Where does the Mastermind sit and think about his superiority? In what areas is the Mastermind superior to Cross?
10. Why do William and Michael decide not to go after Cross and Craig? Were the brothers' assumptions correct?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's choice of settings for the book. Why do you think New Orleans was the site of the climax for the vampire murders? Would you have chosen a different setting?
Essay Topic 2
Early in the story, Michael refers to the cops as "toothless." Why did Michael make that comment? Examine the author's use of irony in the scene when Craig has his teeth knocked out by Cross.
Essay Topic 3
Peter Westin, the new Sire, is captured and taken off to jail. What do you think will happen to Westin? Do you think Westin will be charged with murder? What will happen within the vampire community without the presence of the Sire?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)