|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who watches the Cross house at night?
2. What does the Mastermind do at the Cross house?
3. What does William hate?
4. What animal is tied to the murders?
5. Cross is interested in examining whose psyche?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cross return to Washington? How does it affect the investigation into the vampire murders?
2. Why did the brothers stop in Savannah? What was their opinion of the city?
3. Why did Irwin Snyder kill his parents? Were the murders part of the larger plot?
4. What do you think the killers meant when they told Martha Wiatt that she had been "chosen?" Why is it important for the vampires to "choose" their victims?
5. How does Cross react to his meeting with Peter Westin? Is the meeting successful?
6. What is Alex Cross' perception of Jamilla Hughes? Why is Cross reluctant to get close to Jamilla?
7. How does Craig respond to Cross' questions about the Betsey Cavelierre case? Why have the police not been able to solve the crime?
8. How do you think the Mastermind is connected to Cross? Why do Cross' partners keep being murdered by the Mastermind?
9. What are some of the reasons that becoming an FBI agent seems appealing to Cross? How would leaving the Metro police department affect Cross?
10. While at home, Cross takes little Alex out for a walk in his stroller. What does Cross request from Little Alex?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader is encouraged to see similarities between Cross and Craig. Compare and contrast the characters' personal and professional personalities.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the story, Cross knocks Craig unconscious and then phones home to capture the killer's confession on an answering machine. How did Cross known Craig would confess? Examine Patterson's use of irony in this final stage using Craig's tool of terror.
Essay Topic 3
What is a fetish? What is the purpose of having a fetish ball? Would the story be able to move forward given a different setting for the final murders?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)