|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Cross' contact at the FBI?
2. Where do William and Michael go after they leave California?
3. Who makes threatening calls to Cross?
4. Which University does Cross visit?
5. What do the brothers claim to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the kids found in the old house? How do they react to outsiders?
2. Why do William and Michael decide not to go after Cross and Craig? Were the brothers' assumptions correct?
3. While at home, Cross takes little Alex out for a walk in his stroller. What does Cross request from Little Alex?
4. What is the purpose of the Mastermind breaking into the Cross house?
5. Why aren't the killers interested in money or material possessions? Why do the vampires always leave money and jewelery behind after killing a victim?
6. What prompted William and Michael's love of extreme sports? Why are the sports so appealing?
7. How does Craig respond to Cross' questions about the Betsey Cavelierre case? Why have the police not been able to solve the crime?
8. Why does Cross return to Washington? How does it affect the investigation into the vampire murders?
9. What was Craig's opinion of Kate? Has the opinion changed since Craig last saw Kate?
10. How do you think the Mastermind is connected to Cross? Why do Cross' partners keep being murdered by the Mastermind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cross and Jamilla are in the midst of a budding relationship during the case. Explain how the relationship affects the investigation. Did the involvement change anything? Were Cross' behavior or motives different during Jamilla's rescue because of the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Cross manages to take time out from the case to spend at home with Nana and the kids. Describe how the breaks affect Cross. Is the detective able to put the case aside in order to spend time at home? How does Nana react to the hectic lifestyle?
Essay Topic 3
Early in the story, Michael refers to the cops as "toothless." Why did Michael make that comment? Examine the author's use of irony in the scene when Craig has his teeth knocked out by Cross.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)