|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls and upsets Cross?
2. Cross heads to the next crime scene in which state?
3. Where do the vampires stop to feed?
4. Who are the brothers' next victims?
5. How is the second person killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did William reject the trampy girls? How did the girls react to the rejection?
2. How do you think the Mastermind is connected to Cross? Why do Cross' partners keep being murdered by the Mastermind?
3. What are some of the reasons that becoming an FBI agent seems appealing to Cross? How would leaving the Metro police department affect Cross?
4. What did Snyder intend to do after the murders? How did Irwin plan to live out his dreams of being a true vampire?
5. Why do the police believe that more than two vampires are responsible for the murders? What proof do they have that it might be true?
6. What is the one thing that makes William most angry? Why is it such a problem?
7. Why does the Mastermind keep leaving clues for Cross?
8. Who is John Sampson? How does Sampson play an integral role in the story?
9. What do you think the killers meant when they told Martha Wiatt that she had been "chosen?" Why is it important for the vampires to "choose" their victims?
10. Why is Cross relieved when Kyle Craig agrees to fly to San Francisco? What about Craig makes Cross feel secure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kate McTiernan played a victim in one of Patterson's previous novels where she was kidnapped by the Casanova killer. Examine how the author uses Kate to show how each character has grown and changed.
Essay Topic 2
Cross manages to take time out from the case to spend at home with Nana and the kids. Describe how the breaks affect Cross. Is the detective able to put the case aside in order to spend time at home? How does Nana react to the hectic lifestyle?
Essay Topic 3
What is a fetish? What is the purpose of having a fetish ball? Would the story be able to move forward given a different setting for the final murders?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)