|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Mastermind do at the Cross house?
2. What convinces the Mastermind not to kill Cross?
3. What is the name of the angry woman who was attacked?
4. Who do the police find during the raid?
5. Who is waiting for Cross when he arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the Mastermind breaking into the Cross house?
2. How are Craig and Cross tied to Kate McTiernan? How has their relationship changed?
3. While at home, Cross takes little Alex out for a walk in his stroller. What does Cross request from Little Alex?
4. Who are the kids found in the old house? How do they react to outsiders?
5. What is the one thing that makes William most angry? Why is it such a problem?
6. What was Craig's opinion of Kate? Has the opinion changed since Craig last saw Kate?
7. What initially deters the Mastermind from killing Cross? Why does the Mastermind postpone the plan?
8. Who is Irwin Snyder? Why is he important to the story?
9. Why does Cross return to Washington? How does it affect the investigation into the vampire murders?
10. How does Craig respond to Cross' questions about the Betsey Cavelierre case? Why have the police not been able to solve the crime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader is encouraged to see similarities between Cross and Craig. Compare and contrast the characters' personal and professional personalities.
Essay Topic 2
The Mastermind is revealed to be Kyle Craig, Cross' friend and colleague. How is it possible that the Mastermind could stalk and terrorize Cross for so long without being found out? Why was Cross blind to Craig's clues? What was the biggest clue left by Craig?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's choice of settings for the book. Why do you think New Orleans was the site of the climax for the vampire murders? Would you have chosen a different setting?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)