|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Cross spend the day with his family?
2. Where does the next murder occur?
3. What happens to the victims after they are killed?
4. Which newspaper employs Hughes' friend Tim?
5. To whom does Cross apologize for being away from home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Mastermind keep leaving clues for Cross?
2. Why are the Santa Cruz police reluctant to help Hughes? How does Hughes react to Lieutenant Conover?
3. Who appears in place of Daniel and Charles? What was the purpose of the switch?
4. Why does Cross think that becoming involved with Jamilla could be dangerous? How does Jamilla react to Cross' distance?
5. What prompted William and Michael's love of extreme sports? Why are the sports so appealing?
6. Why does Cross think Craig killed his brother? Is the feeling accurate?
7. Why is Cross in a panic when he reaches San Francisco?
8. What does Cross find in the tunnel? How is it related to the case?
9. Why does Cross return to Washington? How does it affect the investigation into the vampire murders?
10. How do you think the Mastermind is connected to Cross? Why do Cross' partners keep being murdered by the Mastermind?
Essay Topic 1
During the fetish ball, two vampire princes are murdered before they can be crowned. What was the purpose of the murders? Were the victims part of the plan or were their deaths borne of opportunity?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's choice of settings for the book. Why do you think New Orleans was the site of the climax for the vampire murders? Would you have chosen a different setting?
Essay Topic 3
John Sampson typically plays an integral role in the Alex Cross series. However, in "Violets are Blue," Sampson has a supporting, albeit important, role. Why is Sampson's role in the story important? How might the story have changed if Sampson had not been involved?
This section contains 1,292 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)