|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cross is led to what other southern town?
2. The meeting causes Cross to be afraid of what object?
3. The most recent attack occurs in which city?
4. Who is not present in Cross' house at night?
5. Where does Cross go after leads dry up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Cross relieved when Kyle Craig agrees to fly to San Francisco? What about Craig makes Cross feel secure?
2. What is Alex Cross' perception of Jamilla Hughes? Why is Cross reluctant to get close to Jamilla?
3. Why does the Mastermind keep leaving clues for Cross?
4. What initially deters the Mastermind from killing Cross? Why does the Mastermind postpone the plan?
5. Who are the kids found in the old house? How do they react to outsiders?
6. Who is John Sampson? How does Sampson play an integral role in the story?
7. Why did the brothers stop in Savannah? What was their opinion of the city?
8. Why does Cross think that becoming involved with Jamilla could be dangerous? How does Jamilla react to Cross' distance?
9. Why did Irwin Snyder kill his parents? Were the murders part of the larger plot?
10. Why is William disgusted with the celebrity couple? Why was the couple chosen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the Mastermind want Cross to be single? Why is it important for Cross to work alone? How does Cross' work with a partner affect the battle with the Mastermind?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the story, Cross knocks Craig unconscious and then phones home to capture the killer's confession on an answering machine. How did Cross known Craig would confess? Examine Patterson's use of irony in this final stage using Craig's tool of terror.
Essay Topic 3
Kyle Craig is a murderous sociopath who is able to fool master profiler Cross. How is this possible? Does the friendship between Cross and Craig have any effect on Cross' opinions?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)