|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the police find during the raid?
2. With whom does Cross meet at the University?
3. To whom does Cross apologize for being away from home?
4. Where is the headquarters for the FBI?
5. What is said to the second victim?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the one thing that makes William most angry? Why is it such a problem?
2. There are strong expectations put upon Cross about attending his son's concert. Why is there such significance about Cross' presence?
3. What did Snyder intend to do after the murders? How did Irwin plan to live out his dreams of being a true vampire?
4. What was Craig's opinion of Kate? Has the opinion changed since Craig last saw Kate?
5. Why did Irwin Snyder kill his parents? Were the murders part of the larger plot?
6. How do you think the Mastermind is connected to Cross? Why do Cross' partners keep being murdered by the Mastermind?
7. Why aren't the killers interested in money or material possessions? Why do the vampires always leave money and jewelery behind after killing a victim?
8. Who is John Sampson? How does Sampson play an integral role in the story?
9. What do you think the killers meant when they told Martha Wiatt that she had been "chosen?" Why is it important for the vampires to "choose" their victims?
10. Why did the brothers stop in Savannah? What was their opinion of the city?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cross manages to take time out from the case to spend at home with Nana and the kids. Describe how the breaks affect Cross. Is the detective able to put the case aside in order to spend time at home? How does Nana react to the hectic lifestyle?
Essay Topic 2
Kate McTiernan played a victim in one of Patterson's previous novels where she was kidnapped by the Casanova killer. Examine how the author uses Kate to show how each character has grown and changed.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the story, Cross knocks Craig unconscious and then phones home to capture the killer's confession on an answering machine. How did Cross known Craig would confess? Examine Patterson's use of irony in this final stage using Craig's tool of terror.
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)