|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is one of the places the vampires go to find a victim?
2. Where do William and Michael go after they leave California?
3. Who is responsible for the most recent murder?
4. What does Cross admire about Hughes?
5. With whom does Cross meet at the University?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cross think that becoming involved with Jamilla could be dangerous? How does Jamilla react to Cross' distance?
2. What is the purpose of the Mastermind breaking into the Cross house?
3. What did Snyder intend to do after the murders? How did Irwin plan to live out his dreams of being a true vampire?
4. What prompted William and Michael's love of extreme sports? Why are the sports so appealing?
5. What are some of the reasons that becoming an FBI agent seems appealing to Cross? How would leaving the Metro police department affect Cross?
6. How are Craig and Cross tied to Kate McTiernan? How has their relationship changed?
7. What is Alex Cross' perception of Jamilla Hughes? Why is Cross reluctant to get close to Jamilla?
8. Why does Cross return to Washington? How does it affect the investigation into the vampire murders?
9. How does Craig respond to Cross' questions about the Betsey Cavelierre case? Why have the police not been able to solve the crime?
10. What do you think the killers meant when they told Martha Wiatt that she had been "chosen?" Why is it important for the vampires to "choose" their victims?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Sampson typically plays an integral role in the Alex Cross series. However, in "Violets are Blue," Sampson has a supporting, albeit important, role. Why is Sampson's role in the story important? How might the story have changed if Sampson had not been involved?
Essay Topic 2
William and Michael go to the fetish ball in order to kill Daniel and Charles. Peter Westin was also present. How did the vampires enter the ball unnoticed? With supreme master vampire powers, Daniel and Charles should have picked up on the other vampires' energy. How did the trio escape the Sire's notice? Did they find a way to block their energy?
Essay Topic 3
Early in the story, Michael refers to the cops as "toothless." Why did Michael make that comment? Examine the author's use of irony in the scene when Craig has his teeth knocked out by Cross.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)