|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many FBI agents are supposedly working the case full time?
2. Where is the headquarters for the FBI?
3. Where do the brothers go when then need a safe place to find a victim?
4. Who questions Cross' strange behavior?
5. What convinces the Mastermind not to kill Cross?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is John Sampson? How does Sampson play an integral role in the story?
2. How does Cross react to his meeting with Peter Westin? Is the meeting successful?
3. How do you think the Mastermind is connected to Cross? Why do Cross' partners keep being murdered by the Mastermind?
4. Why does the Mastermind keep leaving clues for Cross?
5. Why did William reject the trampy girls? How did the girls react to the rejection?
6. What was Craig's opinion of Kate? Has the opinion changed since Craig last saw Kate?
7. What is the purpose of the Mastermind breaking into the Cross house?
8. What are some of the reasons that becoming an FBI agent seems appealing to Cross? How would leaving the Metro police department affect Cross?
9. Why did Irwin Snyder kill his parents? Were the murders part of the larger plot?
10. What initially deters the Mastermind from killing Cross? Why does the Mastermind postpone the plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader is encouraged to see similarities between Cross and Craig. Compare and contrast the characters' personal and professional personalities.
Essay Topic 2
Early in the story, Michael refers to the cops as "toothless." Why did Michael make that comment? Examine the author's use of irony in the scene when Craig has his teeth knocked out by Cross.
Essay Topic 3
Cross talks about serial killers and how it is common for the killers to have fulfilling personal relationships. How is this possible? Is this due to a mental illness or personality disorder? Do you think Kyle Craig's spouse is aware of his activities?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)