|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James Merrill spent part of his life living in which exotic location?
2. Charles Olson refers to himself as which of the following?
3. What word is best used to describe Robert Lowell?
4. Ammons considered himself to be a part of which spiritual movement?
5. Robert Penn Warren is said to have written poetry in a _____ style.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about W.S. Merwin's choice of career? What are some of the main topics and/or themes often used by Merwin?
2. Which major award was won by W. D. Snodgrass? How might Snodgrass' poems be described?
3. Why is Robert Penn Warren considered to be one of the country's most famous poets? What position did Warren hold in the 1960s?
4. Describe William Meredith's work and his main focus. Also list some of the poems included in his section.
5. What prestigious position did Carolyn Kizer hold? Who greatly influenced Kizer's work? What major award did Kizer receive?
6. What were some of the unusual jobs held by Robert Creeley? Who were Creelye's influenecs? How does Creeley feel about speaking to his readers?
7. What contributions did Mona Van Duyn make to the literary world? What was Van Duyn's biggest accomplishment?
8. Examine Robert Duncan's childhood and how it affected his career.
9. Give a brief description of Jean Garrigue's life and work.
10. Briefly describe the work of May Swenson. List some of Swenson's works included in the book.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jay Wright, Michael S. Harper and Allen Ginsberg are just three of the poets that used their work to support a particular culture. Wright and Harper wrote poems dedicated to black culture, while Ginsberg was focused on being part of the counterculture of America during the 1950s and beyond. Write a 750 word essay on how using poetry to reveal and/or celebrate cultural differences may be an effective way to teach the general public about that specific culture. Also discuss how using poetry in this way might have a negative effect.
Essay Topic 2
Allen Ginsberg was a leading force in the poetic movement of the 1950s. Ginsberg, along with fellow poets Jack Kerouac, William Carlos Williams and Neal Cassady, formed the iconic Beat Generation. Write a 1,000 word essay on Ginsberg's ground breaking work and the formation of the Beat Generation. Also cite the change in the poetic movement due to the Beat Generation and how it evolved in the 1960s.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the opinions of one poet from each section. Choose poets that are the most unique or have views not shared by the others. You may reference outside sources for information as long as sources are cited. Use at least one passage from each poet's work to support your opinion and/or argument.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)