|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position did Dickey hold in the army during WWII?
2. Which poet was greatly influenced by William Butler Yeats and W.H. Auden?
3. Robert Penn Warren is said to have written poetry in a _____ style.
4. According to the text, the best English language literature was produced in which century?
5. Richard Hugo grew up in which western US city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine Robert Duncan's childhood and how it affected his career.
2. Which major award was won by W. D. Snodgrass? How might Snodgrass' poems be described?
3. What is the purpose of the anthology? Who is involved? What are the criteria for the poets? How do these poets reflect the popularity and talent of twentieth century poets?
4. What were some of the unusual jobs held by Robert Creeley? Who were Creelye's influenecs? How does Creeley feel about speaking to his readers?
5. Discuss the poets listed in the first section. Examine at least one of the topics two or more of the poets have in common.
6. Howard Moss is best known for working with which iconic magazine? What is Moss' style? List some of the poems written by Moss and included in this book.
7. Describe Richard Hugo's work and possible influence on style and subject.
8. Describe William Meredith's work and his main focus. Also list some of the poems included in his section.
9. Give a brief description of Jean Garrigue's life and work.
10. Examine briefly the life and work of Robert Hayden. How did Hayden attempt to break the color barrier? What are some of Hayden's poems included in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
W.S. Merwin is one of the poets that patterned his work after the traditional and classic English romantic poetry. Examine in detail the concept and technique involved in writing traditional and classic English romantic poetry. What other poets have followed this format? Why did some poets shy away from or completely distance themselves from this type of poetry? Write a 500 word essay on English romantic poetry. Also include five poems that best represent the style.
Essay Topic 2
Jay Wright, Michael S. Harper and Allen Ginsberg are just three of the poets that used their work to support a particular culture. Wright and Harper wrote poems dedicated to black culture, while Ginsberg was focused on being part of the counterculture of America during the 1950s and beyond. Write a 750 word essay on how using poetry to reveal and/or celebrate cultural differences may be an effective way to teach the general public about that specific culture. Also discuss how using poetry in this way might have a negative effect.
Essay Topic 3
In several of the works, the poets manage to create characters and evoke emotions through the use of monologue and/or dialogue. As such the poet requires the reader to experience a situation through the eyes of another, effectively creating or using another voice rather than one's own. Explain how this might be done. If you were going to create a poem written in this way, what voice would you choose to use? How would you achieve the transformation? Would it be easier or more difficult to choose a fictional character? Would it be easier or more difficult to write through the eyes of the opposite sex?
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)