|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Degrees of Gray in Philipsburg" discusses what type of mine?
2. Ammons considered himself to be a part of which spiritual movement?
3. Which of the following was not one of Robert Creeley's jobs?
4. While in residence in Europe, Ashbery held which job?
5. In which city was Robert Hayden born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Richard Hugo's work and possible influence on style and subject.
2. Examine briefly the life and work of Robert Hayden. How did Hayden attempt to break the color barrier? What are some of Hayden's poems included in this section?
3. What is unusual about Donald Justice's poetry? What does he encourage the reader to see in his work?
4. What is unusual about W.S. Merwin's choice of career? What are some of the main topics and/or themes often used by Merwin?
5. Examine Robert Duncan's childhood and how it affected his career.
6. Briefly describe the work of May Swenson. List some of Swenson's works included in the book.
7. Discuss some of David Wagoner's influences and inspirations. How is Wagoner's work characterized?
8. Examine the unique style of Anthony Hecht as well as some of his professional experiences. Also list some of the poems written by Hecht and included in this book.
9. What contributions did Mona Van Duyn make to the literary world? What was Van Duyn's biggest accomplishment?
10. What other career did A.R. Ammons have while writing poetry on the side? What were some of Ammon's influences outside the literary realm? What are some styles used by Ammons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the poems contained in the book used dreams or the unconscious as a source of material for poetry. Examine the poems in the collection, and choose at least three to use as a reference. Which do you feel is most effective in its use of the unconscious as a tool? Explain. Is there a scientific connection between dreaming and the conscious? Could those concepts and images seen in dreaming be captured in a waking state? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the opinions of one poet from each section. Choose poets that are the most unique or have views not shared by the others. You may reference outside sources for information as long as sources are cited.
Essay Topic 3
In several of the daily lessons, students were asked to keep and update a poetry journal. Explain in detail the type of entries kept in both journals and how the information in each may be used to create an effective and vivid poem. Include examples.
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)