Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Merrill moved back to the US in which year?
2. John Ashbery lived in which European city?
3. Which of the poets was a high school football star?
4. James Dickey claims his life was changed after spending a year in which European country?
5. According to the text, the best English language literature was produced in which century?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the unusual jobs held by Robert Creeley? Who were Creelye's influenecs? How does Creeley feel about speaking to his readers?
2. Examine the theme and meaning contained in Rita Dove's "Adolescence - II." How does the theme link to Dove's other work?
3. What other career did A.R. Ammons have while writing poetry on the side? What were some of Ammon's influences outside the literary realm? What are some styles used by Ammons?
4. What is Mary Oliver's style? How does Mary Oliver incorporate nature into her work? What unique gift does Oliver have as a poet?
5. Who was the biggest influence in Sylvia Plath's life? When did they meet? What type of work is most often related to Plath? Plath is often grouped with which poets?
6. What is unusual about Donald Justice's poetry? What does he encourage the reader to see in his work?
7. How did Audre Lorde often identify herself? Where was Lorde born? What was Lorde's style?
8. Discuss the varied activities of James Dickey and the one thing that supposedly changed his life. What are some of the themes involved in Dickey's work?
9. Discuss Amy Clampitt's early career. What are some of Clampitt's themes?
10. What is unusual about W.S. Merwin's choice of career? What are some of the main topics and/or themes often used by Merwin?
Essay Topic 1
Many people appreciate epigrams because of their brevity. Many are also humorous. Which of the poets is best known for writing epigrams? What is your opinion on the epigram? Compare and contrast the epigram to at least three other styles of poetry, e.g., haiku.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the book, McClatchy discusses the drastic changes in poetry before and after World War II. What are McClatchy's opinions on the drastic change of the art form? What does McClatchy use to support his statements and opinions? What was the biggest change in poetry after World War II? Why was poetry in decline when the new poets were putting forth new and innovative ideas and styles? Do you think this group of poets would have surfaced if the war had not taken place? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Edward Hirsch encourage students to write using childhood memories? How do those memories differ from memories of an older child or adult? Compare and contrast childhood memories with adult memories. Do the same with dream work.
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)