|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the latest year in which one of the poets was born?
2. James Dickey claims his life was changed after spending a year in which European country?
3. Schuyler compares poetry to which of the following?
4. Which poet wrote the "Autumn Shade" series?
5. "Amusing Our Daughters" was written to which of the poet's family members?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about W.S. Merwin's choice of career? What are some of the main topics and/or themes often used by Merwin?
2. Briefly describe the work of May Swenson. List some of Swenson's works included in the book.
3. What is unique about Charles Olson's work? What did Olson do to prepare to write about a particular place or era? How did Olson believe work should be paced?
4. Discuss some of Denise Levertov's themes as well as potential influences on her work and her life.
5. Discuss the wide variety of jobs held by Richard Wilbur. Also discuss Wilbur's style and the poems in which the style is exhibited in this collection.
6. Discuss the varied activities of James Dickey and the one thing that supposedly changed his life. What are some of the themes involved in Dickey's work?
7. Howard Moss is best known for working with which iconic magazine? What is Moss' style? List some of the poems written by Moss and included in this book.
8. Discuss some of David Wagoner's influences and inspirations. How is Wagoner's work characterized?
9. What is unusual about Donald Justice's poetry? What does he encourage the reader to see in his work?
10. Examine briefly the life and work of Robert Hayden. How did Hayden attempt to break the color barrier? What are some of Hayden's poems included in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss juxtaposition and how it might help or hinder a poet's work. How does one choose the appropriate items or subjects to juxtapose? Write two poems - one with effective juxtaposition and one where the juxtaposition fails to make the poem interesting, distinct, or understood. Also examine at least one of the poems included by Allen Ginsberg and Charles Simic to better understand the use of juxtaposition.
Essay Topic 2
Jay Wright, Michael S. Harper and Allen Ginsberg are just three of the poets that used their work to support a particular culture. Wright and Harper wrote poems dedicated to black culture, while Ginsberg was focused on being part of the counterculture of America during the 1950s and beyond. Write a 750 word essay on how using poetry to reveal and/or celebrate cultural differences may be an effective way to teach the general public about that specific culture. Also discuss how using poetry in this way might have a negative effect.
Essay Topic 3
In several of the daily lessons, students were asked to keep and update a poetry journal. Explain in detail the type of entries kept in both journals and how the information in each may be used to create an effective and vivid poem. Include examples.
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)