|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Yusef Komunyakaa's father was born in which country?
2. Anne Sexton wrote a poem based on which famous painting?
(a) Mona Lisa.
(b) Starry Night.
(c) The Madonna and Child.
(d) The Last Supper.
3. Sharon Olds is often labeled as a ______ poet.
4. Rita Dove was named as the ____ Poet Laureate.
5. Yusef Komunyakaa served in which war?
(a) Desert Storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Edward Hirsch currently works as the head of which prestigious organization?
2. What word is used to describe Robert Frost's work?
3. Kay Ryan and her work are compared to all but which of the following women?
4. Who wrote "Venetian Interior, 1889?"
5. Sylvia Plath wrote a poem in honor of God's lioness _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine the theme and meaning contained in Rita Dove's "Adolescence - II." How does the theme link to Dove's other work?
2. What prompted Anne Sexton to begin writing poetry? What was Sexton's style? What are some characteristics of Sexton's style?
3. What type of work did Richard Howard produce? Examine Richard Howard's fascination with the figures of 19th century high society. Also list some of the poems contained in his section.
4. Who was the biggest influence in Sylvia Plath's life? When did they meet? What type of work is most often related to Plath? Plath is often grouped with which poets?
5. Dave Smith's work has been compared to which famous poets? Discuss Smith's earlier poems and the evolution of his work.
6. What unique gift is expressed in Philip Levine's work? What prompted this style and choice of theme? What are some of Levine's poems included in his section?
7. What prompted Anne Sexton to begin writing poetry? What was Sexton's style? What are some characteristics of Sexton's style?
8. Examine Yusef Komunyakaa's background and influences regarding his work.
9. Jay Wright had a way of combining facts about various cultures and relating them to his heritage. Discuss Wright's heritage and how he celebrated the accomplishments of others.
10. Discuss Amy Clampitt's early career. What are some of Clampitt's themes?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)