|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote "Venetian Interior, 1889?"
2. Which word is not used to describe Ellen Bryant Voigt's work?
3. Which of the following words best describes Sharon Olds' work?
4. Michael Palmer is said to be one of the original ____ poets.
5. In what year was Robert Haas named Poet Laureate?
Short Answer Questions
1. Gary Snyder referred to himself as having very ____ values.
2. Yusef Komunyakaa served in which war?
3. Which of the poets was born in the south but uses a northern perspective?
4. Which word is best used to describe the work of Sandra McPherson?
5. Robert Haas earned his Ph.D. from which university?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mary Oliver's style? How does Mary Oliver incorporate nature into her work? What unique gift does Oliver have as a poet?
2. Discuss the rhyme and tone of "Ballad of Ladies Lost and Found." Who are some of the people mentioned in the poem? What is the rhyme scheme? What form does Hacker use in this poem?
3. What unique gift is expressed in Philip Levine's work? What prompted this style and choice of theme? What are some of Levine's poems included in his section?
4. Heather McHugh's poem, "The Typewriter's the Kind," tells the story of a writer sitting in front of a type writer. Discuss the meaning of the poem and which passage best describes what McHugh is feeling about her work.
5. In which regions and countries did Irving Feldman live? What are some of the characteristics of Feldman's work? Name three people that appear in Feldman's poetry.
6. How did Audre Lorde often identify herself? Where was Lorde born? What was Lorde's style?
7. What themes are most often seen in Gary Snyder's work? What does Snyder credit with helping him focus on the inner world?
8. Who is Robert Pinsky's main influence? What is Robert Pinsky's goal regarding his poetry? What topic most interests Pinsky? How does Pinsky get his point across?
9. Discuss Louise Gluck's poems that use a garden as the main theme. Which poems reflect this theme? Analyze at least one of the poems. Did Gluck write similar poems that are not included in this book?
10. How is Sharon Olds categorized as a poet? What words are best used to describe Olds' work? What are some of Olds' most common themes?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)