|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kay Ryan and her work are compared to all but which of the following women?
2. Which poet often used inner city life as a theme?
3. Philip Levine was greatly impacted by which war?
(a) War of the Roses.
(b) World War II.
(c) Korean War.
(d) Spanish War.
4. In which year did Anne Sexton die?
5. Mary Oliver is considered to be one of the best ____ poets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "Venetian Interior, 1889?"
2. Charles Simic was born in which country?
3. Heather McHugh studied under which famous poet?
4. Sylvia Plath wrote a poem in honor of God's lioness _____.
5. Later in his career, Williams changed his style to reflect that of which famous poet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Charles Simic born? How did his youth affect his poetry? What themes are often seen in Simic's work? What technique is often used by Simic?
2. How did Audre Lorde often identify herself? Where was Lorde born? What was Lorde's style?
3. Discuss Louise Gluck's poems that use a garden as the main theme. Which poems reflect this theme? Analyze at least one of the poems. Did Gluck write similar poems that are not included in this book?
4. Examine the theme of acceptance and the passing of time as it appears in Jorie Graham's work.
5. Who is Robert Pinsky's main influence? What is Robert Pinsky's goal regarding his poetry? What topic most interests Pinsky? How does Pinsky get his point across?
6. In which regions and countries did Irving Feldman live? What are some of the characteristics of Feldman's work? Name three people that appear in Feldman's poetry.
7. How is Sharon Olds categorized as a poet? What words are best used to describe Olds' work? What are some of Olds' most common themes?
8. Discuss Amy Clampitt's early career. What are some of Clampitt's themes?
9. List some of Robert Hass' jobs outside of poetry. What topics and/or themes are most common in Hass' work? Who were Hass' influences?
10. Jay Wright had a way of combining facts about various cultures and relating them to his heritage. Discuss Wright's heritage and how he celebrated the accomplishments of others.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)