|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sharon Olds' "The Glass," she writes about her father who is dying from a tumor in which part of his body?
2. Which poet wrote "The Old Cosmologists?"
3. Which of the following was not a job held by Amy Clampitt?
4. Philip Levine held which of the following jobs?
(a) Chicken farmer.
(b) Insurance salesman.
(c) Railroad shipper.
(d) Bank teller.
5. The poem "Planetarium" was written in honor of which astronomer?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "Venetian Interior, 1889?"
2. Charles Wright wrote an homage to which famous painter?
3. Which of the poets also worked as a playwright?
4. Who wrote the poem titled, "Onions?"
5. Jorie Graham's work is often referred to as being _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Adrienne Rich? What causes did she promote through her work?
2. Who was the biggest influence in Sylvia Plath's life? When did they meet? What type of work is most often related to Plath? Plath is often grouped with which poets?
3. What prompted Anne Sexton to begin writing poetry? What was Sexton's style? What are some characteristics of Sexton's style?
4. Examine Yusef Komunyakaa's background and influences regarding his work.
5. Heather McHugh's poem, "The Typewriter's the Kind," tells the story of a writer sitting in front of a type writer. Discuss the meaning of the poem and which passage best describes what McHugh is feeling about her work.
6. Where was Charles Simic born? How did his youth affect his poetry? What themes are often seen in Simic's work? What technique is often used by Simic?
7. What first inspired Charles Wright to write poetry? Where was Wright at the time? How can Wright's early work be characterized? How did Charles Wright's work evolve?
8. Examine the theme and meaning contained in Rita Dove's "Adolescence - II." How does the theme link to Dove's other work?
9. Who is Robert Pinsky's main influence? What is Robert Pinsky's goal regarding his poetry? What topic most interests Pinsky? How does Pinsky get his point across?
10. How does Michael S. Harper incorporate his heritage into his work? What was Harper's biggest influence? What themes commonly appear in his poetry? List some of Harper's poems that appear in this book.
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)