|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What award did Yusef Komunyakaa receive for military service?
(a) Purple Heart.
(b) Silver Star.
(c) Congressional Medal of Honor.
(d) Bronze Star.
2. Charles Simic wrote a poem dedicated to which common item?
(c) Garbage can.
3. Which word is best used to describe the work of Sandra McPherson?
4. Philip Levine was greatly impacted by which war?
(a) War of the Roses.
(b) World War II.
(c) Korean War.
(d) Spanish War.
5. William Matthews is not connected to which of the following colleges/universities?
(a) University of North Carolina.
(c) New York City College.
(d) University of Pennsylvania.
Short Answer Questions
1. C.K. Williams worked as which of the following?
2. Galway Kinnell wrote about which of the following topics?
3. Charles Wright wrote an homage to which famous painter?
4. Howard wrote a poem focused on aristocrats of which century?
5. The poem "Planetarium" was written in honor of which astronomer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine the theme of acceptance and the passing of time as it appears in Jorie Graham's work.
2. How did Audre Lorde often identify herself? Where was Lorde born? What was Lorde's style?
3. How does Michael S. Harper incorporate his heritage into his work? What was Harper's biggest influence? What themes commonly appear in his poetry? List some of Harper's poems that appear in this book.
4. Heather McHugh's poem, "The Typewriter's the Kind," tells the story of a writer sitting in front of a type writer. Discuss the meaning of the poem and which passage best describes what McHugh is feeling about her work.
5. In which regions and countries did Irving Feldman live? What are some of the characteristics of Feldman's work? Name three people that appear in Feldman's poetry.
6. Who was the biggest influence in Sylvia Plath's life? When did they meet? What type of work is most often related to Plath? Plath is often grouped with which poets?
7. What prompted Anne Sexton to begin writing poetry? What was Sexton's style? What are some characteristics of Sexton's style?
8. How does Ellen Bryant Voigt compare poetry to music? Why does Voigt make this comparison? In which part of the poem is the comparison most evident?
9. What type of work did Richard Howard produce? Examine Richard Howard's fascination with the figures of 19th century high society. Also list some of the poems contained in his section.
10. List some of Robert Hass' jobs outside of poetry. What topics and/or themes are most common in Hass' work? Who were Hass' influences?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)