|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Louise Gluck's "Messengers" which of the following seems to be waiting for the poet?
2. Edward Hirsch currently works as the head of which prestigious organization?
(a) Guggenheim Foundation.
(b) National Endowment for the Arts.
(c) Library of Congress.
(d) Pulitzer Prize Committee.
3. Which of the poets was born in the south but uses a northern perspective?
4. Which of the following is a main theme in Amy Clampitt's work?
5. Michael S. Harper created his work by combining autobiography and ____.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "The Mad Potter?"
2. What famous poet first inspired Charles Wright?
3. Philip Levine held which of the following jobs?
4. Later in his career, Williams changed his style to reflect that of which famous poet?
5. Which poet wrote about the "domestic self?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Audre Lorde often identify herself? Where was Lorde born? What was Lorde's style?
2. Discuss Louise Gluck's poems that use a garden as the main theme. Which poems reflect this theme? Analyze at least one of the poems. Did Gluck write similar poems that are not included in this book?
3. How is Sharon Olds categorized as a poet? What words are best used to describe Olds' work? What are some of Olds' most common themes?
4. Discuss Amy Clampitt's early career. What are some of Clampitt's themes?
5. Discuss the rhyme and tone of "Ballad of Ladies Lost and Found." Who are some of the people mentioned in the poem? What is the rhyme scheme? What form does Hacker use in this poem?
6. How does Ellen Bryant Voigt compare poetry to music? Why does Voigt make this comparison? In which part of the poem is the comparison most evident?
7. Jay Wright had a way of combining facts about various cultures and relating them to his heritage. Discuss Wright's heritage and how he celebrated the accomplishments of others.
8. How does Michael S. Harper incorporate his heritage into his work? What was Harper's biggest influence? What themes commonly appear in his poetry? List some of Harper's poems that appear in this book.
9. Who is Robert Pinsky's main influence? What is Robert Pinsky's goal regarding his poetry? What topic most interests Pinsky? How does Pinsky get his point across?
10. Examine Yusef Komunyakaa's background and influences regarding his work.
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)