|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the poets also worked as a playwright?
2. Philip Levine was born in which Midwestern city?
(b) St. Louis.
(d) Kansas City.
3. Mark Strand was name as the _____ Poet Laureate.
4. Who wrote "The Mad Potter?"
5. Mark Strand was born in which country?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Louise Gluck's "Messengers" which of the following seems to be waiting for the poet?
2. Mary Oliver is considered to be one of the best ____ poets.
3. Michael S. Harper created his work by combining autobiography and ____.
4. Unlike many poets, Robert Pinsky has no interest in _____.
5. Charles Wright wrote an homage to which famous painter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of work did Richard Howard produce? Examine Richard Howard's fascination with the figures of 19th century high society. Also list some of the poems contained in his section.
2. List some of Robert Hass' jobs outside of poetry. What topics and/or themes are most common in Hass' work? Who were Hass' influences?
3. What prompted Anne Sexton to begin writing poetry? What was Sexton's style? What are some characteristics of Sexton's style?
4. How is Sharon Olds categorized as a poet? What words are best used to describe Olds' work? What are some of Olds' most common themes?
5. How did Audre Lorde often identify herself? Where was Lorde born? What was Lorde's style?
6. What is Mary Oliver's style? How does Mary Oliver incorporate nature into her work? What unique gift does Oliver have as a poet?
7. Dave Smith's work has been compared to which famous poets? Discuss Smith's earlier poems and the evolution of his work.
8. What first inspired Charles Wright to write poetry? Where was Wright at the time? How can Wright's early work be characterized? How did Charles Wright's work evolve?
9. In which regions and countries did Irving Feldman live? What are some of the characteristics of Feldman's work? Name three people that appear in Feldman's poetry.
10. Examine the theme of acceptance and the passing of time as it appears in Jorie Graham's work.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)