|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which year did Anne Sexton die?
2. Which of the following was not one of the jobs held by Gary Snyder?
(a) Ditch digger.
3. C.K. Williams worked as which of the following?
4. Which poet works at Johns Hopkins University?
5. Who prompted Anne Sexton to start a writing career?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which poem was written for a survivor of Hiroshima?
2. Who wrote "Venetian Interior, 1889?"
3. What famous poet first inspired Charles Wright?
4. Michael Harper was greatly influenced by which type of music?
5. Michael S. Harper created his work by combining autobiography and ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What themes are most often seen in Gary Snyder's work? What does Snyder credit with helping him focus on the inner world?
2. Examine Kay Ryan's opinion on inevitable change. What point is Ryan attempting to make?
3. Where was Charles Simic born? How did his youth affect his poetry? What themes are often seen in Simic's work? What technique is often used by Simic?
4. How does Ellen Bryant Voigt compare poetry to music? Why does Voigt make this comparison? In which part of the poem is the comparison most evident?
5. Who was Adrienne Rich? What causes did she promote through her work?
6. Jay Wright had a way of combining facts about various cultures and relating them to his heritage. Discuss Wright's heritage and how he celebrated the accomplishments of others.
7. Heather McHugh's poem, "The Typewriter's the Kind," tells the story of a writer sitting in front of a type writer. Discuss the meaning of the poem and which passage best describes what McHugh is feeling about her work.
8. What prompted Anne Sexton to begin writing poetry? What was Sexton's style? What are some characteristics of Sexton's style?
9. Who is Robert Pinsky's main influence? What is Robert Pinsky's goal regarding his poetry? What topic most interests Pinsky? How does Pinsky get his point across?
10. List some of Robert Hass' jobs outside of poetry. What topics and/or themes are most common in Hass' work? Who were Hass' influences?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)