|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which word is not used to describe Ellen Bryant Voigt's work?
2. In what year did Charles Simic bring his family to the US?
3. Which of the following was not a job held by Amy Clampitt?
4. Which poet wrote about the "domestic self?"
5. Which poet wrote the poem titled, "Mock Orange?"
Short Answer Questions
1. Jorie Graham was raised in which country?
2. Michael Palmer's poetry is said to use a(n) ______ abstraction.
3. Which of the following words best describes Sharon Olds' work?
4. Howard wrote a poem focused on aristocrats of which century?
5. Unlike many poets, Robert Pinsky has no interest in _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. In which regions and countries did Irving Feldman live? What are some of the characteristics of Feldman's work? Name three people that appear in Feldman's poetry.
2. What is Mary Oliver's style? How does Mary Oliver incorporate nature into her work? What unique gift does Oliver have as a poet?
3. Who was Adrienne Rich? What causes did she promote through her work?
4. What themes are most often seen in Gary Snyder's work? What does Snyder credit with helping him focus on the inner world?
5. Discuss Louise Gluck's poems that use a garden as the main theme. Which poems reflect this theme? Analyze at least one of the poems. Did Gluck write similar poems that are not included in this book?
6. What first inspired Charles Wright to write poetry? Where was Wright at the time? How can Wright's early work be characterized? How did Charles Wright's work evolve?
7. Who was the biggest influence in Sylvia Plath's life? When did they meet? What type of work is most often related to Plath? Plath is often grouped with which poets?
8. How does Michael S. Harper incorporate his heritage into his work? What was Harper's biggest influence? What themes commonly appear in his poetry? List some of Harper's poems that appear in this book.
9. Examine Kay Ryan's opinion on inevitable change. What point is Ryan attempting to make?
10. What prompted Anne Sexton to begin writing poetry? What was Sexton's style? What are some characteristics of Sexton's style?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)