|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which poet wrote "The Gas Station?"
2. Rita Dove's work often blends history with which type of poetry?
3. Which word is best used to describe the work of Sandra McPherson?
4. Edward Hirsch currently works as the head of which prestigious organization?
(a) Guggenheim Foundation.
(b) Library of Congress.
(c) National Endowment for the Arts.
(d) Pulitzer Prize Committee.
5. Michael Palmer is said to be one of the original ____ poets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Robert Haas earned his Ph.D. from which university?
2. Which poet often used inner city life as a theme?
3. Marilyn Hacker spends six months of the year in New York; the other six months in _____.
4. In what year did Charles Simic bring his family to the US?
5. In Sharon Olds' "The Glass," she writes about her father who is dying from a tumor in which part of his body?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Louise Gluck's poems that use a garden as the main theme. Which poems reflect this theme? Analyze at least one of the poems. Did Gluck write similar poems that are not included in this book?
2. What is Mary Oliver's style? How does Mary Oliver incorporate nature into her work? What unique gift does Oliver have as a poet?
3. In which regions and countries did Irving Feldman live? What are some of the characteristics of Feldman's work? Name three people that appear in Feldman's poetry.
4. What themes are most often seen in Gary Snyder's work? What does Snyder credit with helping him focus on the inner world?
5. Discuss Michael S. Palmer's poem "H." what is the main theme of the poem? Does the reader get a clear vision of Palmer's insight? What might the poem mean?
6. How did Audre Lorde often identify herself? Where was Lorde born? What was Lorde's style?
7. Who is Robert Pinsky's main influence? What is Robert Pinsky's goal regarding his poetry? What topic most interests Pinsky? How does Pinsky get his point across?
8. Discuss the rhyme and tone of "Ballad of Ladies Lost and Found." Who are some of the people mentioned in the poem? What is the rhyme scheme? What form does Hacker use in this poem?
9. Discuss Amy Clampitt's early career. What are some of Clampitt's themes?
10. How is Sharon Olds categorized as a poet? What words are best used to describe Olds' work? What are some of Olds' most common themes?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)