|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the poets also worked as a playwright?
2. Which poet wrote about the "domestic self?"
3. Which word is not used to describe Ellen Bryant Voigt's work?
4. In Sharon Olds' "The Glass," she writes about her father who is dying from a tumor in which part of his body?
5. Anne Sexton lived in which city?
Short Answer Questions
1. What award did Yusef Komunyakaa receive for military service?
2. Michael S. Harper created his work by combining autobiography and ____.
3. What was the name of Sylvia Plath's husband?
4. Michael Palmer is said to be one of the original ____ poets.
5. Which of the following was not one of the jobs held by Gary Snyder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the rhyme and tone of "Ballad of Ladies Lost and Found." Who are some of the people mentioned in the poem? What is the rhyme scheme? What form does Hacker use in this poem?
2. What first inspired Charles Wright to write poetry? Where was Wright at the time? How can Wright's early work be characterized? How did Charles Wright's work evolve?
3. Who was Adrienne Rich? What causes did she promote through her work?
4. List some of Robert Hass' jobs outside of poetry. What topics and/or themes are most common in Hass' work? Who were Hass' influences?
5. Jay Wright had a way of combining facts about various cultures and relating them to his heritage. Discuss Wright's heritage and how he celebrated the accomplishments of others.
6. How does Michael S. Harper incorporate his heritage into his work? What was Harper's biggest influence? What themes commonly appear in his poetry? List some of Harper's poems that appear in this book.
7. What prompted Anne Sexton to begin writing poetry? What was Sexton's style? What are some characteristics of Sexton's style?
8. Examine Kay Ryan's opinion on inevitable change. What point is Ryan attempting to make?
9. Examine the theme of acceptance and the passing of time as it appears in Jorie Graham's work.
10. Who was the biggest influence in Sylvia Plath's life? When did they meet? What type of work is most often related to Plath? Plath is often grouped with which poets?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)