|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jorie Graham's work is often referred to as being _____.
2. What word is used to describe Robert Frost's work?
3. Edward Hirsch currently works as the head of which prestigious organization?
(a) Guggenheim Foundation.
(b) National Endowment for the Arts.
(c) Pulitzer Prize Committee.
(d) Library of Congress.
4. Rita Dove's work often blends history with which type of poetry?
5. Which poet wrote "The Old Cosmologists?"
Short Answer Questions
1. Anne Sexton wrote a poem based on which famous painting?
2. What famous poet first inspired Charles Wright?
3. Which president is mentioned in the title of one of Wright's poems?
4. Charles Simic was born in which country?
5. In Sharon Olds' "The Glass," she writes about her father who is dying from a tumor in which part of his body?
Short Essay Questions
1. List some of Robert Hass' jobs outside of poetry. What topics and/or themes are most common in Hass' work? Who were Hass' influences?
2. Dave Smith's work has been compared to which famous poets? Discuss Smith's earlier poems and the evolution of his work.
3. What themes are most often seen in Gary Snyder's work? What does Snyder credit with helping him focus on the inner world?
4. Who was the biggest influence in Sylvia Plath's life? When did they meet? What type of work is most often related to Plath? Plath is often grouped with which poets?
5. Jay Wright had a way of combining facts about various cultures and relating them to his heritage. Discuss Wright's heritage and how he celebrated the accomplishments of others.
6. How does Michael S. Harper incorporate his heritage into his work? What was Harper's biggest influence? What themes commonly appear in his poetry? List some of Harper's poems that appear in this book.
7. In which regions and countries did Irving Feldman live? What are some of the characteristics of Feldman's work? Name three people that appear in Feldman's poetry.
8. How did Audre Lorde often identify herself? Where was Lorde born? What was Lorde's style?
9. Discuss the rhyme and tone of "Ballad of Ladies Lost and Found." Who are some of the people mentioned in the poem? What is the rhyme scheme? What form does Hacker use in this poem?
10. Heather McHugh's poem, "The Typewriter's the Kind," tells the story of a writer sitting in front of a type writer. Discuss the meaning of the poem and which passage best describes what McHugh is feeling about her work.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)