|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mary Oliver believed that the majority of her poems were ______.
2. Which poet wrote about the "domestic self?"
3. Charles Wright wrote an homage to which famous painter?
4. Who wrote "The Mad Potter?"
5. Howard wrote a poem focused on aristocrats of which century?
Short Answer Questions
1. Michael Palmer is said to be one of the original ____ poets.
2. Jorie Graham was raised in which country?
3. Which poet works at Johns Hopkins University?
4. Edward Hirsch currently works as the head of which prestigious organization?
5. Gary Snyder referred to himself as having very ____ values.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Michael S. Harper incorporate his heritage into his work? What was Harper's biggest influence? What themes commonly appear in his poetry? List some of Harper's poems that appear in this book.
2. Jay Wright had a way of combining facts about various cultures and relating them to his heritage. Discuss Wright's heritage and how he celebrated the accomplishments of others.
3. Heather McHugh's poem, "The Typewriter's the Kind," tells the story of a writer sitting in front of a type writer. Discuss the meaning of the poem and which passage best describes what McHugh is feeling about her work.
4. Discuss the rhyme and tone of "Ballad of Ladies Lost and Found." Who are some of the people mentioned in the poem? What is the rhyme scheme? What form does Hacker use in this poem?
5. What prompted Anne Sexton to begin writing poetry? What was Sexton's style? What are some characteristics of Sexton's style?
6. Who is Robert Pinsky's main influence? What is Robert Pinsky's goal regarding his poetry? What topic most interests Pinsky? How does Pinsky get his point across?
7. What prompted Anne Sexton to begin writing poetry? What was Sexton's style? What are some characteristics of Sexton's style?
8. What themes are most often seen in Gary Snyder's work? What does Snyder credit with helping him focus on the inner world?
9. Who was Adrienne Rich? What causes did she promote through her work?
10. Where was Charles Simic born? How did his youth affect his poetry? What themes are often seen in Simic's work? What technique is often used by Simic?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)