|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Michael Harper wrote a poem dedicated to which famous musician?
2. Which poet wrote the poem titled, "Ebb Tide?"
3. Rita Dove was named as the ____ Poet Laureate.
4. Which of the following words is not used to describe Wright's work?
5. In what year was Robert Haas named Poet Laureate?
Short Answer Questions
1. Anne Sexton lived in which city?
2. Which poet works at Johns Hopkins University?
3. Gary Snyder referred to himself as having very ____ values.
4. In which year did Anne Sexton die?
5. Which word is best used to describe the work of Sandra McPherson?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Sharon Olds categorized as a poet? What words are best used to describe Olds' work? What are some of Olds' most common themes?
2. How does Michael S. Harper incorporate his heritage into his work? What was Harper's biggest influence? What themes commonly appear in his poetry? List some of Harper's poems that appear in this book.
3. Where was Charles Simic born? How did his youth affect his poetry? What themes are often seen in Simic's work? What technique is often used by Simic?
4. Dave Smith's work has been compared to which famous poets? Discuss Smith's earlier poems and the evolution of his work.
5. Heather McHugh's poem, "The Typewriter's the Kind," tells the story of a writer sitting in front of a type writer. Discuss the meaning of the poem and which passage best describes what McHugh is feeling about her work.
6. Who was the biggest influence in Sylvia Plath's life? When did they meet? What type of work is most often related to Plath? Plath is often grouped with which poets?
7. Examine the theme of acceptance and the passing of time as it appears in Jorie Graham's work.
8. Discuss Louise Gluck's poems that use a garden as the main theme. Which poems reflect this theme? Analyze at least one of the poems. Did Gluck write similar poems that are not included in this book?
9. Discuss Michael S. Palmer's poem "H." what is the main theme of the poem? Does the reader get a clear vision of Palmer's insight? What might the poem mean?
10. What first inspired Charles Wright to write poetry? Where was Wright at the time? How can Wright's early work be characterized? How did Charles Wright's work evolve?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)