|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. C.K. Williams worked as which of the following?
2. Philip Levine was greatly impacted by which war?
(a) Korean War.
(b) Spanish War.
(c) War of the Roses.
(d) World War II.
3. In Sharon Olds' "The Glass," she writes about her father who is dying from a tumor in which part of his body?
4. Michael Palmer is said to be one of the original ____ poets.
5. Charles Simic was born in which country?
Short Answer Questions
1. Michael Palmer's poetry is said to use a(n) ______ abstraction.
2. Who wrote "The Mad Potter?"
3. Marilyn Hacker spends six months of the year in New York; the other six months in _____.
4. Howard wrote a poem focused on aristocrats of which century?
5. Rita Dove's work often blends history with which type of poetry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Charles Simic born? How did his youth affect his poetry? What themes are often seen in Simic's work? What technique is often used by Simic?
2. List some of Robert Hass' jobs outside of poetry. What topics and/or themes are most common in Hass' work? Who were Hass' influences?
3. Heather McHugh's poem, "The Typewriter's the Kind," tells the story of a writer sitting in front of a type writer. Discuss the meaning of the poem and which passage best describes what McHugh is feeling about her work.
4. What type of work did Richard Howard produce? Examine Richard Howard's fascination with the figures of 19th century high society. Also list some of the poems contained in his section.
5. What prompted Anne Sexton to begin writing poetry? What was Sexton's style? What are some characteristics of Sexton's style?
6. Who was Adrienne Rich? What causes did she promote through her work?
7. How did Audre Lorde often identify herself? Where was Lorde born? What was Lorde's style?
8. Examine Kay Ryan's opinion on inevitable change. What point is Ryan attempting to make?
9. Examine the theme and meaning contained in Rita Dove's "Adolescence - II." How does the theme link to Dove's other work?
10. Discuss the rhyme and tone of "Ballad of Ladies Lost and Found." Who are some of the people mentioned in the poem? What is the rhyme scheme? What form does Hacker use in this poem?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)