|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Philip Levine held which of the following jobs?
(a) Railroad shipper.
(b) Bank teller.
(c) Insurance salesman.
(d) Chicken farmer.
2. Michael Palmer's poetry is said to use a(n) ______ abstraction.
(c) Free flowing.
3. Howard wrote a poem focused on aristocrats of which century?
4. Jorie Graham's work is often referred to as being _____.
5. Which poet often used inner city life as a theme?
Short Answer Questions
1. The reader's ____ are a significant part of Michael Palmer's poetry.
2. In what year did Charles Simic bring his family to the US?
3. Which poet wrote about the "domestic self?"
4. Jay Wright honored famed black scientist _______ in his work.
5. Which poet wrote the poem titled, "Mock Orange?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Louise Gluck's poems that use a garden as the main theme. Which poems reflect this theme? Analyze at least one of the poems. Did Gluck write similar poems that are not included in this book?
2. List some of Robert Hass' jobs outside of poetry. What topics and/or themes are most common in Hass' work? Who were Hass' influences?
3. What is Mary Oliver's style? How does Mary Oliver incorporate nature into her work? What unique gift does Oliver have as a poet?
4. How did Audre Lorde often identify herself? Where was Lorde born? What was Lorde's style?
5. What first inspired Charles Wright to write poetry? Where was Wright at the time? How can Wright's early work be characterized? How did Charles Wright's work evolve?
6. Examine the theme of acceptance and the passing of time as it appears in Jorie Graham's work.
7. Discuss Amy Clampitt's early career. What are some of Clampitt's themes?
8. How does Ellen Bryant Voigt compare poetry to music? Why does Voigt make this comparison? In which part of the poem is the comparison most evident?
9. Who was the biggest influence in Sylvia Plath's life? When did they meet? What type of work is most often related to Plath? Plath is often grouped with which poets?
10. Examine Yusef Komunyakaa's background and influences regarding his work.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)