|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Robert Haas earned his Ph.D. from which university?
2. Sylvia Plath wrote a poem in honor of God's lioness _____.
3. Unlike many poets, Robert Pinsky has no interest in _____.
4. Jorie Graham was raised in which country?
5. What was the occupation of Kay Ryan's father?
(a) Gas station attendant.
(c) Railroad engineer.
(d) Well driller.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anne Sexton lived in which city?
2. Mark Strand was born in which country?
3. Philip Levine was greatly impacted by which war?
4. Philip Levine held which of the following jobs?
5. Which poem was written for a survivor of Hiroshima?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Louise Gluck's poems that use a garden as the main theme. Which poems reflect this theme? Analyze at least one of the poems. Did Gluck write similar poems that are not included in this book?
2. Where was Charles Simic born? How did his youth affect his poetry? What themes are often seen in Simic's work? What technique is often used by Simic?
3. What unique gift is expressed in Philip Levine's work? What prompted this style and choice of theme? What are some of Levine's poems included in his section?
4. What first inspired Charles Wright to write poetry? Where was Wright at the time? How can Wright's early work be characterized? How did Charles Wright's work evolve?
5. What themes are most often seen in Gary Snyder's work? What does Snyder credit with helping him focus on the inner world?
6. Examine Kay Ryan's opinion on inevitable change. What point is Ryan attempting to make?
7. What type of work did Richard Howard produce? Examine Richard Howard's fascination with the figures of 19th century high society. Also list some of the poems contained in his section.
8. What is Mary Oliver's style? How does Mary Oliver incorporate nature into her work? What unique gift does Oliver have as a poet?
9. Examine the theme and meaning contained in Rita Dove's "Adolescence - II." How does the theme link to Dove's other work?
10. What prompted Anne Sexton to begin writing poetry? What was Sexton's style? What are some characteristics of Sexton's style?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)