|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which poet works at Johns Hopkins University?
2. How old was Amy Clampitt when her first book was published?
3. Marilyn Hacker previously worked as a salesperson. Which item did Hacker sell?
(a) Modern art.
(c) Vintage clothes.
(d) Antique books.
4. Later in his career, Williams changed his style to reflect that of which famous poet?
5. In what year did Charles Simic bring his family to the US?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a main theme in Amy Clampitt's work?
2. Which of the following words best describes Sharon Olds' work?
3. What award did Yusef Komunyakaa receive for military service?
4. What word is used to describe Robert Frost's work?
5. Which of the following was not a job held by Amy Clampitt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Robert Pinsky's main influence? What is Robert Pinsky's goal regarding his poetry? What topic most interests Pinsky? How does Pinsky get his point across?
2. How is Sharon Olds categorized as a poet? What words are best used to describe Olds' work? What are some of Olds' most common themes?
3. What unique gift is expressed in Philip Levine's work? What prompted this style and choice of theme? What are some of Levine's poems included in his section?
4. Discuss the rhyme and tone of "Ballad of Ladies Lost and Found." Who are some of the people mentioned in the poem? What is the rhyme scheme? What form does Hacker use in this poem?
5. How did Audre Lorde often identify herself? Where was Lorde born? What was Lorde's style?
6. Discuss Amy Clampitt's early career. What are some of Clampitt's themes?
7. Examine the theme and meaning contained in Rita Dove's "Adolescence - II." How does the theme link to Dove's other work?
8. Examine Yusef Komunyakaa's background and influences regarding his work.
9. What prompted Anne Sexton to begin writing poetry? What was Sexton's style? What are some characteristics of Sexton's style?
10. List some of Robert Hass' jobs outside of poetry. What topics and/or themes are most common in Hass' work? Who were Hass' influences?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)