|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charles Simic was born in which country?
2. Marilyn Hacker previously worked as a salesperson. Which item did Hacker sell?
(a) Antique books.
(c) Modern art.
(d) Vintage clothes.
3. Which word is best used to describe the work of Sandra McPherson?
4. Which of the following words best describes Sharon Olds' work?
5. Michael Palmer's poetry is said to use a(n) ______ abstraction.
(a) Free flowing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sylvia Plath wrote a poem in honor of God's lioness _____.
2. In what year did Charles Simic bring his family to the US?
3. Which president is mentioned in the title of one of Wright's poems?
4. What was Yusef Komunyakaa's birth name?
5. Which poem was written for a survivor of Hiroshima?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of work did Richard Howard produce? Examine Richard Howard's fascination with the figures of 19th century high society. Also list some of the poems contained in his section.
2. What is Mary Oliver's style? How does Mary Oliver incorporate nature into her work? What unique gift does Oliver have as a poet?
3. Dave Smith's work has been compared to which famous poets? Discuss Smith's earlier poems and the evolution of his work.
4. Examine the theme of acceptance and the passing of time as it appears in Jorie Graham's work.
5. What unique gift is expressed in Philip Levine's work? What prompted this style and choice of theme? What are some of Levine's poems included in his section?
6. Discuss the rhyme and tone of "Ballad of Ladies Lost and Found." Who are some of the people mentioned in the poem? What is the rhyme scheme? What form does Hacker use in this poem?
7. How does Ellen Bryant Voigt compare poetry to music? Why does Voigt make this comparison? In which part of the poem is the comparison most evident?
8. What themes are most often seen in Gary Snyder's work? What does Snyder credit with helping him focus on the inner world?
9. Examine Yusef Komunyakaa's background and influences regarding his work.
10. Where was Charles Simic born? How did his youth affect his poetry? What themes are often seen in Simic's work? What technique is often used by Simic?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)