|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Unlike many poets, Robert Pinsky has no interest in _____.
2. Who wrote "The Mad Potter?"
3. Which word is best used to describe the work of Sandra McPherson?
4. Which of the poets was born in the south but uses a northern perspective?
5. Charles Simic wrote a poem dedicated to which common item?
(a) Garbage can.
Short Answer Questions
1. William Matthews is not connected to which of the following colleges/universities?
2. In which year did Anne Sexton die?
3. Edward Hirsch currently works as the head of which prestigious organization?
4. Rita Dove was named as the ____ Poet Laureate.
5. How old was Amy Clampitt when her first book was published?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Adrienne Rich? What causes did she promote through her work?
2. In which regions and countries did Irving Feldman live? What are some of the characteristics of Feldman's work? Name three people that appear in Feldman's poetry.
3. What prompted Anne Sexton to begin writing poetry? What was Sexton's style? What are some characteristics of Sexton's style?
4. Discuss Amy Clampitt's early career. What are some of Clampitt's themes?
5. Dave Smith's work has been compared to which famous poets? Discuss Smith's earlier poems and the evolution of his work.
6. How does Michael S. Harper incorporate his heritage into his work? What was Harper's biggest influence? What themes commonly appear in his poetry? List some of Harper's poems that appear in this book.
7. How did Audre Lorde often identify herself? Where was Lorde born? What was Lorde's style?
8. What type of work did Richard Howard produce? Examine Richard Howard's fascination with the figures of 19th century high society. Also list some of the poems contained in his section.
9. Who is Robert Pinsky's main influence? What is Robert Pinsky's goal regarding his poetry? What topic most interests Pinsky? How does Pinsky get his point across?
10. Discuss the rhyme and tone of "Ballad of Ladies Lost and Found." Who are some of the people mentioned in the poem? What is the rhyme scheme? What form does Hacker use in this poem?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)