|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is a main theme in Amy Clampitt's work?
2. Which poet wrote "Another Life?"
3. Gary Snyder focuses a lot of his work around which topic?
4. Adrienne Rich practiced which religion?
5. In Louise Gluck's "Messengers" which of the following seems to be waiting for the poet?
Short Answer Questions
1. Mary Oliver believed that the majority of her poems were ______.
2. Which of the following was not a job held by Amy Clampitt?
3. Jorie Graham was raised in which country?
4. In which year did Anne Sexton win the Pulitzer Prize?
5. Later in his career, Williams changed his style to reflect that of which famous poet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What themes are most often seen in Gary Snyder's work? What does Snyder credit with helping him focus on the inner world?
2. What prompted Anne Sexton to begin writing poetry? What was Sexton's style? What are some characteristics of Sexton's style?
3. List some of Robert Hass' jobs outside of poetry. What topics and/or themes are most common in Hass' work? Who were Hass' influences?
4. Discuss Amy Clampitt's early career. What are some of Clampitt's themes?
5. How did Audre Lorde often identify herself? Where was Lorde born? What was Lorde's style?
6. Who is Robert Pinsky's main influence? What is Robert Pinsky's goal regarding his poetry? What topic most interests Pinsky? How does Pinsky get his point across?
7. What first inspired Charles Wright to write poetry? Where was Wright at the time? How can Wright's early work be characterized? How did Charles Wright's work evolve?
8. How does Ellen Bryant Voigt compare poetry to music? Why does Voigt make this comparison? In which part of the poem is the comparison most evident?
9. Discuss the rhyme and tone of "Ballad of Ladies Lost and Found." Who are some of the people mentioned in the poem? What is the rhyme scheme? What form does Hacker use in this poem?
10. Examine the theme and meaning contained in Rita Dove's "Adolescence - II." How does the theme link to Dove's other work?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)