|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Randall Jarrell's poetry is typically centered around which event/era?
(a) The Great Depression.
(b) World War I.
(c) Civil War.
(d) World War II.
2. Which of the poets wrote a piece titled, "Einstein's Bathrobe?"
(a) Van Duyn.
3. What was Meredith's job?
(c) Auto mechanic.
(d) Flying nurse.
4. Which poet wrote the "Autumn Shade" series?
5. In what year did O'Hara die?
Short Answer Questions
1. Merrill moved back to the US in which year?
2. Which poet was born in Ohio?
3. Which of the following is not one of Lowell's poems?
4. While in residence in Europe, Ashbery held which job?
5. What was A.R. Ammons field of study in college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss some of David Wagoner's influences and inspirations. How is Wagoner's work characterized?
2. Examine the unique style of Anthony Hecht as well as some of his professional experiences. Also list some of the poems written by Hecht and included in this book.
3. Discuss some of Denise Levertov's themes as well as potential influences on her work and her life.
4. What is the purpose of the anthology? Who is involved? What are the criteria for the poets? How do these poets reflect the popularity and talent of twentieth century poets?
5. Briefly describe the work of May Swenson. List some of Swenson's works included in the book.
6. Howard Moss is best known for working with which iconic magazine? What is Moss' style? List some of the poems written by Moss and included in this book.
7. Give a brief description of Jean Garrigue's life and work.
8. Discuss the wide variety of jobs held by Richard Wilbur. Also discuss Wilbur's style and the poems in which the style is exhibited in this collection.
9. Which major award was won by W. D. Snodgrass? How might Snodgrass' poems be described?
10. What other career did A.R. Ammons have while writing poetry on the side? What were some of Ammon's influences outside the literary realm? What are some styles used by Ammons?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)