|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the same time, Frank O'Hara also mourned the death of which musician?
2. While in residence in Europe, Ashbery held which job?
(a) Art critic.
(b) Tour guide.
3. What was the profession of Richard Wilbur's father?
4. Where is the Jain Bird Hospital located?
5. Which poet was greatly influenced by William Butler Yeats and W.H. Auden?
(a) Elizabeth Bishop.
(b) John Berryman.
(c) Randall Jarrell.
(d) Theodore Roethke.
Short Answer Questions
1. Schuyler compares poetry to which of the following?
2. Duncan's work is different because it is considered to be more ____.
3. Which of the following is not one of Lowell's poems?
4. What was Meredith's job?
5. Who served as the first Poet Laureate of the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine the unique style of Anthony Hecht as well as some of his professional experiences. Also list some of the poems written by Hecht and included in this book.
2. What was Allen Ginsberg's first major success? What made Ginsberg into an iconic poet?
3. Examine briefly the life and work of Robert Hayden. How did Hayden attempt to break the color barrier? What are some of Hayden's poems included in this section?
4. Howard Moss is best known for working with which iconic magazine? What is Moss' style? List some of the poems written by Moss and included in this book.
5. Briefly describe the work of May Swenson. List some of Swenson's works included in the book.
6. What is unique about Charles Olson's work? What did Olson do to prepare to write about a particular place or era? How did Olson believe work should be paced?
7. Discuss the wide variety of jobs held by Richard Wilbur. Also discuss Wilbur's style and the poems in which the style is exhibited in this collection.
8. Name at least one of the main themes that can be seen in James Merrill's work. What is Merrill's genre? List some of the poems included in Merrill's section.
9. What major theme was often used in James Wright's work? What major award did James Wright win for his work?
10. Give a brief overview of Robert Lowell's life and work as a poet. What were Lowell's main topics? Which techniques did he favor when writing poetry? Also list at least four of Lowell's poems.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)