|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charles Olson refers to himself as which of the following?
2. Meredith served in which branch of the armed forces?
(a) Air Force.
(c) Coast Guard.
3. Richard Hugo grew up in which western US city?
(a) Santa Barbara.
4. Which of the following was not one of Robert Creeley's jobs?
(a) Ambulance driver.
(c) Chicken farmer.
5. Which of the following words is not used in reference to Howard Nemerov's work?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Cunningham's poems it the first to appear in his section?
2. Which of the poets wrote a piece titled, "The Sheep Child?"
3. Which poet was greatly influenced by William Butler Yeats and W.H. Auden?
4. What was the name of the publication edited by Van Duyn?
5. The introduction states that American art was great because of _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss some of Denise Levertov's themes as well as potential influences on her work and her life.
2. What other career did A.R. Ammons have while writing poetry on the side? What were some of Ammon's influences outside the literary realm? What are some styles used by Ammons?
3. Discuss the wide variety of jobs held by Richard Wilbur. Also discuss Wilbur's style and the poems in which the style is exhibited in this collection.
4. What contributions did Mona Van Duyn make to the literary world? What was Van Duyn's biggest accomplishment?
5. Name at least one of the main themes that can be seen in James Merrill's work. What is Merrill's genre? List some of the poems included in Merrill's section.
6. What major theme was often used in James Wright's work? What major award did James Wright win for his work?
7. What is unusual about Donald Justice's poetry? What does he encourage the reader to see in his work?
8. Describe Richard Hugo's work and possible influence on style and subject.
9. Why is Robert Penn Warren considered to be one of the country's most famous poets? What position did Warren hold in the 1960s?
10. Which major award was won by W. D. Snodgrass? How might Snodgrass' poems be described?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)