|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which poet wrote "To the Harbormaster?"
2. Which of the poets wrote a piece titled, "The Sheep Child?"
(c) Van Duyn.
3. Garrigue was influenced by which famous composer?
4. Robert Penn Warren is said to have written poetry in a _____ style.
5. What word is best used to describe Robert Lowell?
Short Answer Questions
1. Olson believed poetry should be written based on _____, not meter.
2. David Wagoner's work was greatly influenced by which native American tribe?
3. Which poet was greatly influenced by William Butler Yeats and W.H. Auden?
4. What is the earliest year in which one of the poets was born?
5. In what year did O'Hara die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Carl Phillips' "From the Devotions" and how the three parts of the poem maintain the same theme throughout. What is the theme? What is your opinion of the poem and Phillips' style?
2. Discuss some of David Wagoner's influences and inspirations. How is Wagoner's work characterized?
3. What other career did A.R. Ammons have while writing poetry on the side? What were some of Ammon's influences outside the literary realm? What are some styles used by Ammons?
4. Discuss Amy Clampitt's early career. What are some of Clampitt's themes?
5. What is unusual about W.S. Merwin's choice of career? What are some of the main topics and/or themes often used by Merwin?
6. Examine the theme of acceptance and the passing of time as it appears in Jorie Graham's work.
7. Discuss Henri Cole's collection of "Chiffon Morning" poems. Discuss and explain at least one of the pieces.
8. How did Audre Lorde often identify herself? Where was Lorde born? What was Lorde's style?
9. What type of work did Richard Howard produce? Examine Richard Howard's fascination with the figures of 19th century high society. Also list some of the poems contained in his section.
10. What is the purpose of the anthology? Who is involved? What are the criteria for the poets? How do these poets reflect the popularity and talent of twentieth century poets?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)