|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Richard Hugo grew up in which western US city?
(a) Santa Barbara.
2. Which poet was greatly influenced by William Butler Yeats and W.H. Auden?
(a) John Berryman.
(b) Randall Jarrell.
(c) Elizabeth Bishop.
(d) Theodore Roethke.
3. Which of Cunningham's poems it the first to appear in his section?
(a) "To My Wife,"
(b) "For my Contemporaries."
(c) "A Century of Epigrams."
(d) "Middle Passage."
4. Which of the poets wrote a piece titled, "Frederick Douglass?"
5. Who was heavily influenced by Theodore Roethke?
Short Answer Questions
1. Robert Penn Warren is said to have written poetry in a _____ style.
2. Merrill was known for writing in which type of verse?
3. What was Meredith's job?
4. Which of the following was not one of Robert Creeley's jobs?
5. Which of the poets wrote a piece titled, "The Sheep Child?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Richard Hugo's work and possible influence on style and subject.
2. Discuss the varied activities of James Dickey and the one thing that supposedly changed his life. What are some of the themes involved in Dickey's work?
3. Discuss some of Denise Levertov's themes as well as potential influences on her work and her life.
4. Examine briefly the life and work of Robert Hayden. How did Hayden attempt to break the color barrier? What are some of Hayden's poems included in this section?
5. Give a brief overview of John Berryman's life. Also note Berryman's influences, style, and common topics covered in his work. How did critics review Berryman's work?
6. What major theme was often used in James Wright's work? What major award did James Wright win for his work?
7. Discuss the wide variety of jobs held by Richard Wilbur. Also discuss Wilbur's style and the poems in which the style is exhibited in this collection.
8. What contributions did Mona Van Duyn make to the literary world? What was Van Duyn's biggest accomplishment?
9. What were some of the unusual jobs held by Robert Creeley? Who were Creelye's influenecs? How does Creeley feel about speaking to his readers?
10. Examine the unique style of Anthony Hecht as well as some of his professional experiences. Also list some of the poems written by Hecht and included in this book.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)