|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many poets appear in the book?
2. Elizabeth Bishop was raised by relatives in which major metropolitan area?
(b) New York.
(c) St. Louis.
3. Ammons favored which style?
4. What position did Dickey hold in the army during WWII?
(a) Fighter pilot.
5. W.D. Snodgrass served in which branch of the armed forces?
(b) Air Force.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which year was Van Duyn appointed as the Poet Laureate?
2. In what year did O'Hara die?
3. James Merrill spent part of his life living in which exotic location?
4. In what year was the position established?
5. Duncan's work is different because it is considered to be more ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Robert Penn Warren considered to be one of the country's most famous poets? What position did Warren hold in the 1960s?
2. Give a brief description of Jean Garrigue's life and work.
3. What prestigious position did Carolyn Kizer hold? Who greatly influenced Kizer's work? What major award did Kizer receive?
4. Describe William Meredith's work and his main focus. Also list some of the poems included in his section.
5. Discuss some of David Wagoner's influences and inspirations. How is Wagoner's work characterized?
6. What other career did A.R. Ammons have while writing poetry on the side? What were some of Ammon's influences outside the literary realm? What are some styles used by Ammons?
7. Examine Robert Duncan's childhood and how it affected his career.
8. What contributions did Mona Van Duyn make to the literary world? What was Van Duyn's biggest accomplishment?
9. What major theme was often used in James Wright's work? What major award did James Wright win for his work?
10. Discuss the poets listed in the first section. Examine at least one of the topics two or more of the poets have in common.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)