|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. James Dickey claims his life was changed after spending a year in which European country?
2. "The Day Lady Died" refers to which of the following women?
(a) Billie Holliday.
(b) Lucille Ball.
(c) Jackie Kennedy Onasis.
(d) Marilyn Monroe.
3. Merwin, a former expatriate, lives in which US state?
(a) New York.
(d) Rhode Island.
4. Which of the following words is used to describe Mary Swenson's work?
5. In what year did Swenson move to New York?
Short Answer Questions
1. One of Randall Jarrell's poems is titled, "The Women at the ____ Zoo."
2. Robert Penn Warren is said to have written poetry in a _____ style.
3. "Mule Team and Poster" was based on a photograph taken by which of the following?
4. Which one of the poets worked as a consultant to the Library of Congress?
5. What was the name of the publication edited by Van Duyn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Richard Hugo's work and possible influence on style and subject.
2. Give a brief overview of John Berryman's life. Also note Berryman's influences, style, and common topics covered in his work. How did critics review Berryman's work?
3. Name at least one of the main themes that can be seen in James Merrill's work. What is Merrill's genre? List some of the poems included in Merrill's section.
4. Which major award was won by W. D. Snodgrass? How might Snodgrass' poems be described?
5. What was Allen Ginsberg's first major success? What made Ginsberg into an iconic poet?
6. Discuss some of Denise Levertov's themes as well as potential influences on her work and her life.
7. Discuss the wide variety of jobs held by Richard Wilbur. Also discuss Wilbur's style and the poems in which the style is exhibited in this collection.
8. Examine Robert Duncan's childhood and how it affected his career.
9. What major theme was often used in James Wright's work? What major award did James Wright win for his work?
10. What is the purpose of the anthology? Who is involved? What are the criteria for the poets? How do these poets reflect the popularity and talent of twentieth century poets?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)