|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the poets was a high school football star?
2. W.S. Merwin attended which Ivy League school?
3. Where is the Jain Bird Hospital located?
4. James Dickey claims his life was changed after spending a year in which European country?
5. Which of the poets wrote a piece titled, "Frederick Douglass?"
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of Lowell's poems?
2. James Merrill spent part of his life living in which exotic location?
3. Justice writes a poem about a lone reader waiting in a _____ at dusk.
4. Which poet wrote "To the Harbormaster?"
5. John Ashbery lived in which European city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine the unique style of Anthony Hecht as well as some of his professional experiences. Also list some of the poems written by Hecht and included in this book.
2. Give a brief description of Jean Garrigue's life and work.
3. Which major award was won by W. D. Snodgrass? How might Snodgrass' poems be described?
4. Discuss the poets listed in the first section. Examine at least one of the topics two or more of the poets have in common.
5. What major theme was often used in James Wright's work? What major award did James Wright win for his work?
6. What is the purpose of the anthology? Who is involved? What are the criteria for the poets? How do these poets reflect the popularity and talent of twentieth century poets?
7. Briefly describe the work of May Swenson. List some of Swenson's works included in the book.
8. What contributions did Mona Van Duyn make to the literary world? What was Van Duyn's biggest accomplishment?
9. Describe William Meredith's work and his main focus. Also list some of the poems included in his section.
10. Examine briefly the life and work of Robert Hayden. How did Hayden attempt to break the color barrier? What are some of Hayden's poems included in this section?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)