|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Meredith's job?
(b) Flying nurse.
(d) Auto mechanic.
2. Which of the following words is used to describe Mary Swenson's work?
3. "The Tourist from Syracuse" was inspired by the writing of which author?
4. Which of Cunningham's poems it the first to appear in his section?
(a) "A Century of Epigrams."
(b) "For my Contemporaries."
(c) "To My Wife,"
(d) "Middle Passage."
5. Mona Van Duyn taught at which St. Louis based university?
(a) Washington University.
(b) St. Louis University.
(c) Howard University.
(d) University of Missouri.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the profession of Richard Wilbur's father?
2. What position did Dickey hold in the army during WWII?
3. W.D. Snodgrass served in which branch of the armed forces?
4. Which of the poets had a Hasidic Russian rabbi for a father?
5. How many poets appear in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Howard Moss is best known for working with which iconic magazine? What is Moss' style? List some of the poems written by Moss and included in this book.
2. Give a brief overview of John Berryman's life. Also note Berryman's influences, style, and common topics covered in his work. How did critics review Berryman's work?
3. Give a brief overview of Robert Lowell's life and work as a poet. What were Lowell's main topics? Which techniques did he favor when writing poetry? Also list at least four of Lowell's poems.
4. Examine the unique style of Anthony Hecht as well as some of his professional experiences. Also list some of the poems written by Hecht and included in this book.
5. What is unusual about Donald Justice's poetry? What does he encourage the reader to see in his work?
6. Discuss some of Denise Levertov's themes as well as potential influences on her work and her life.
7. What other career did A.R. Ammons have while writing poetry on the side? What were some of Ammon's influences outside the literary realm? What are some styles used by Ammons?
8. What is the purpose of the anthology? Who is involved? What are the criteria for the poets? How do these poets reflect the popularity and talent of twentieth century poets?
9. Examine briefly the life and work of Robert Hayden. How did Hayden attempt to break the color barrier? What are some of Hayden's poems included in this section?
10. Briefly describe the work of May Swenson. List some of Swenson's works included in the book.
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)