|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frank O'Hara was deeply affected by the death of which famous artist?
2. in Creeley's "The Rescue," the poet describes which tragedy?
(b) House fire.
3. Which of the poets had a Hasidic Russian rabbi for a father?
4. Meredith served in which branch of the armed forces?
(b) Coast Guard.
(c) Air Force.
5. Merrill was known for writing in which type of verse?
Short Answer Questions
1. Ammons favored which style?
2. What is the earliest year in which one of the poets was born?
3. Carolyn Kizer wrote a poem about man's abuse of which natural resource?
4. Which poet was the first director of the literary programs at the National Endowment for the Arts?
5. Schuyler compares poetry to which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss some of Denise Levertov's themes as well as potential influences on her work and her life.
2. What is the purpose of the anthology? Who is involved? What are the criteria for the poets? How do these poets reflect the popularity and talent of twentieth century poets?
3. Give a brief overview of John Berryman's life. Also note Berryman's influences, style, and common topics covered in his work. How did critics review Berryman's work?
4. What is unique about Charles Olson's work? What did Olson do to prepare to write about a particular place or era? How did Olson believe work should be paced?
5. Examine Robert Duncan's childhood and how it affected his career.
6. Examine briefly the life and work of Robert Hayden. How did Hayden attempt to break the color barrier? What are some of Hayden's poems included in this section?
7. What was Allen Ginsberg's first major success? What made Ginsberg into an iconic poet?
8. Give a brief description of Jean Garrigue's life and work.
9. Examine the unique style of Anthony Hecht as well as some of his professional experiences. Also list some of the poems written by Hecht and included in this book.
10. Describe Richard Hugo's work and possible influence on style and subject.
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)