|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the poets wrote a piece titled, "The Sheep Child?"
(c) Van Duyn.
2. Ammons favored which style?
3. Frank O'Hara studied at which university?
(b) University of Montana.
(c) University of Michigan.
4. Meredith served in which branch of the armed forces?
(a) Air Force.
(c) Coast Guard.
5. Carolyn Kizer wrote a poem about man's abuse of which natural resource?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words is used to describe Mary Swenson's work?
2. Duncan was linked to the _______ poets.
3. Which of the poets was a high school football star?
4. John Ashbery lived in which European city?
5. Which of the following is not one of Lowell's poems?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Robert Penn Warren considered to be one of the country's most famous poets? What position did Warren hold in the 1960s?
2. Discuss the varied activities of James Dickey and the one thing that supposedly changed his life. What are some of the themes involved in Dickey's work?
3. Give a brief overview of John Berryman's life. Also note Berryman's influences, style, and common topics covered in his work. How did critics review Berryman's work?
4. What other career did A.R. Ammons have while writing poetry on the side? What were some of Ammon's influences outside the literary realm? What are some styles used by Ammons?
5. Examine briefly the life and work of Robert Hayden. How did Hayden attempt to break the color barrier? What are some of Hayden's poems included in this section?
6. Which major award was won by W. D. Snodgrass? How might Snodgrass' poems be described?
7. What prestigious position did Carolyn Kizer hold? Who greatly influenced Kizer's work? What major award did Kizer receive?
8. What contributions did Mona Van Duyn make to the literary world? What was Van Duyn's biggest accomplishment?
9. What is unique about Charles Olson's work? What did Olson do to prepare to write about a particular place or era? How did Olson believe work should be paced?
10. What were some of the unusual jobs held by Robert Creeley? Who were Creelye's influenecs? How does Creeley feel about speaking to his readers?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)