|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was not one of Robert Creeley's jobs?
(c) Ambulance driver.
(d) Chicken farmer.
2. According to the text, the best English language literature was produced in which century?
3. In what year did Swenson move to New York?
4. "Amusing Our Daughters" was written to which of the poet's family members?
5. James Merrill spent part of his life living in which exotic location?
(c) Key West.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the latest year in which one of the poets was born?
2. Robert Penn Warren is said to have written poetry in a _____ style.
3. How many poets appear in the book?
4. Which one of the poets worked as a consultant to the Library of Congress?
5. "The Tourist from Syracuse" was inspired by the writing of which author?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss some of Denise Levertov's themes as well as potential influences on her work and her life.
2. What were some of the unusual jobs held by Robert Creeley? Who were Creelye's influenecs? How does Creeley feel about speaking to his readers?
3. Examine briefly the life and work of Robert Hayden. How did Hayden attempt to break the color barrier? What are some of Hayden's poems included in this section?
4. Describe William Meredith's work and his main focus. Also list some of the poems included in his section.
5. What is unusual about Donald Justice's poetry? What does he encourage the reader to see in his work?
6. Discuss the poets listed in the first section. Examine at least one of the topics two or more of the poets have in common.
7. Discuss the wide variety of jobs held by Richard Wilbur. Also discuss Wilbur's style and the poems in which the style is exhibited in this collection.
8. Examine the unique style of Anthony Hecht as well as some of his professional experiences. Also list some of the poems written by Hecht and included in this book.
9. Discuss the varied activities of James Dickey and the one thing that supposedly changed his life. What are some of the themes involved in Dickey's work?
10. What major theme was often used in James Wright's work? What major award did James Wright win for his work?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)