Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Merrill moved back to the US in which year?
2. John Ashbery lived in which European city?
3. Which of the poets was a high school football star?
4. James Dickey claims his life was changed after spending a year in which European country?
5. According to the text, the best English language literature was produced in which century?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many poets appear in the book?
2. "Amusing Our Daughters" was written to which of the poet's family members?
3. Which poet was greatly influenced by William Butler Yeats and W.H. Auden?
4. The introduction states that American art was great because of _____.
5. Allen Ginsberg is closely affiliated with which poetic movement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the unusual jobs held by Robert Creeley? Who were Creelye's influenecs? How does Creeley feel about speaking to his readers?
2. Examine the theme and meaning contained in Rita Dove's "Adolescence - II." How does the theme link to Dove's other work?
3. What other career did A.R. Ammons have while writing poetry on the side? What were some of Ammon's influences outside the literary realm? What are some styles used by Ammons?
4. What is Mary Oliver's style? How does Mary Oliver incorporate nature into her work? What unique gift does Oliver have as a poet?
5. Who was the biggest influence in Sylvia Plath's life? When did they meet? What type of work is most often related to Plath? Plath is often grouped with which poets?
6. What is unusual about Donald Justice's poetry? What does he encourage the reader to see in his work?
7. How did Audre Lorde often identify herself? Where was Lorde born? What was Lorde's style?
8. Discuss the varied activities of James Dickey and the one thing that supposedly changed his life. What are some of the themes involved in Dickey's work?
9. Discuss Amy Clampitt's early career. What are some of Clampitt's themes?
10. What is unusual about W.S. Merwin's choice of career? What are some of the main topics and/or themes often used by Merwin?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)