|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Justice writes a poem about a lone reader waiting in a _____ at dusk.
(b) School yard.
(d) Shopping mall.
2. John Ashbery lived in which European city?
3. "Mule Team and Poster" was based on a photograph taken by which of the following?
4. Richard Hugo grew up in which western US city?
(a) Santa Barbara.
5. Cunningham's work was referred to as being cool and _____.
Short Answer Questions
1. David Wagoner wrote a poem about which activity?
2. in Creeley's "The Rescue," the poet describes which tragedy?
3. Mona Van Duyn taught at which St. Louis based university?
4. Which poet was greatly influenced by William Butler Yeats and W.H. Auden?
5. Merrill moved back to the US in which year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine briefly the life and work of Robert Hayden. How did Hayden attempt to break the color barrier? What are some of Hayden's poems included in this section?
2. What prompted Anne Sexton to begin writing poetry? What was Sexton's style? What are some characteristics of Sexton's style?
3. Heather McHugh's poem, "The Typewriter's the Kind," tells the story of a writer sitting in front of a type writer. Discuss the meaning of the poem and which passage best describes what McHugh is feeling about her work.
4. What contributions did Mona Van Duyn make to the literary world? What was Van Duyn's biggest accomplishment?
5. Name at least one of the main themes that can be seen in James Merrill's work. What is Merrill's genre? List some of the poems included in Merrill's section.
6. What was Allen Ginsberg's first major success? What made Ginsberg into an iconic poet?
7. Why is Robert Penn Warren considered to be one of the country's most famous poets? What position did Warren hold in the 1960s?
8. What is unusual about Donald Justice's poetry? What does he encourage the reader to see in his work?
9. Discuss some of David Wagoner's influences and inspirations. How is Wagoner's work characterized?
10. Discuss the rhyme and tone of "Ballad of Ladies Lost and Found." Who are some of the people mentioned in the poem? What is the rhyme scheme? What form does Hacker use in this poem?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)