|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which poet wrote the "Autumn Shade" series?
2. Schuyler compares poetry to which of the following?
3. In which year did Merrill win the Pulitzer Prize?
4. Who was heavily influenced by Theodore Roethke?
5. Meredith served in which branch of the armed forces?
(a) Coast Guard.
(d) Air Force.
Short Answer Questions
1. David Wagoner's work was greatly influenced by which native American tribe?
2. Which poet wrote "To the Harbormaster?"
3. What is the latest year in which one of the poets was born?
4. Robert Penn Warren is said to have written poetry in a _____ style.
5. "Mule Team and Poster" was based on a photograph taken by which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Richard Hugo's work and possible influence on style and subject.
2. Examine the unique style of Anthony Hecht as well as some of his professional experiences. Also list some of the poems written by Hecht and included in this book.
3. What is unique about Charles Olson's work? What did Olson do to prepare to write about a particular place or era? How did Olson believe work should be paced?
4. Name at least one of the main themes that can be seen in James Merrill's work. What is Merrill's genre? List some of the poems included in Merrill's section.
5. What contributions did Mona Van Duyn make to the literary world? What was Van Duyn's biggest accomplishment?
6. Give a brief overview of Robert Lowell's life and work as a poet. What were Lowell's main topics? Which techniques did he favor when writing poetry? Also list at least four of Lowell's poems.
7. What is unusual about W.S. Merwin's choice of career? What are some of the main topics and/or themes often used by Merwin?
8. Discuss some of David Wagoner's influences and inspirations. How is Wagoner's work characterized?
9. Describe William Meredith's work and his main focus. Also list some of the poems included in his section.
10. What were some of the unusual jobs held by Robert Creeley? Who were Creelye's influenecs? How does Creeley feel about speaking to his readers?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)