|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Degrees of Gray in Philipsburg" discusses what type of mine?
2. Which of the following was not a job held by Wilbur?
3. Richard Hugo taught at which university?
(a) University of Idaho.
(b) University of Iowa.
(c) University of Wisconsin.
(d) University of Montana.
4. Which of the following words is used to describe Mary Swenson's work?
5. Which of the following is not one of Lowell's poems?
(a) "Skunk Hour."
(b) "One Art."
(c) "Man and Wife."
Short Answer Questions
1. Allen Ginsberg is closely affiliated with which poetic movement?
2. How many poets appear in the book?
3. Elizabeth Bishop was raised by relatives in which major metropolitan area?
4. Randall Jarrell's poetry is typically centered around which event/era?
5. Merwin, a former expatriate, lives in which US state?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine Robert Duncan's childhood and how it affected his career.
2. Discuss Amy Clampitt's early career. What are some of Clampitt's themes?
3. Dave Smith's work has been compared to which famous poets? Discuss Smith's earlier poems and the evolution of his work.
4. What contributions did Mona Van Duyn make to the literary world? What was Van Duyn's biggest accomplishment?
5. How does Michael S. Harper incorporate his heritage into his work? What was Harper's biggest influence? What themes commonly appear in his poetry? List some of Harper's poems that appear in this book.
6. Examine Yusef Komunyakaa's background and influences regarding his work.
7. What themes are most often seen in Gary Snyder's work? What does Snyder credit with helping him focus on the inner world?
8. What is unusual about W.S. Merwin's choice of career? What are some of the main topics and/or themes often used by Merwin?
9. How is Sharon Olds categorized as a poet? What words are best used to describe Olds' work? What are some of Olds' most common themes?
10. Howard Moss is best known for working with which iconic magazine? What is Moss' style? List some of the poems written by Moss and included in this book.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)