|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the Jain Bird Hospital located?
2. In which year did Merrill win the Pulitzer Prize?
3. Frank O'Hara studied at which university?
(b) University of Montana.
(d) University of Michigan.
4. David Wagoner's work was greatly influenced by which native American tribe?
5. In what year was the position established?
Short Answer Questions
1. James Dickey claims his life was changed after spending a year in which European country?
2. Which of the poets was a high school football star?
3. W.S. Merwin attended which Ivy League school?
4. Merwin, a former expatriate, lives in which US state?
5. Carolyn Kizer wrote a poem about man's abuse of which natural resource?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give a brief overview of Robert Lowell's life and work as a poet. What were Lowell's main topics? Which techniques did he favor when writing poetry? Also list at least four of Lowell's poems.
2. What was Allen Ginsberg's first major success? What made Ginsberg into an iconic poet?
3. Examine the unique style of Anthony Hecht as well as some of his professional experiences. Also list some of the poems written by Hecht and included in this book.
4. Howard Moss is best known for working with which iconic magazine? What is Moss' style? List some of the poems written by Moss and included in this book.
5. What is unusual about Donald Justice's poetry? What does he encourage the reader to see in his work?
6. Discuss the varied activities of James Dickey and the one thing that supposedly changed his life. What are some of the themes involved in Dickey's work?
7. Describe William Meredith's work and his main focus. Also list some of the poems included in his section.
8. Examine briefly the life and work of Robert Hayden. How did Hayden attempt to break the color barrier? What are some of Hayden's poems included in this section?
9. Describe Richard Hugo's work and possible influence on style and subject.
10. What prestigious position did Carolyn Kizer hold? Who greatly influenced Kizer's work? What major award did Kizer receive?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)