|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the publication edited by Van Duyn?
2. Frank O'Hara studied at which university?
(b) University of Michigan.
(d) University of Montana.
3. W.S. Merwin attended which Ivy League school?
4. Olson believed poetry should be written based on _____, not meter.
5. David Wagoner's work was greatly influenced by which native American tribe?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words is used to describe Mary Swenson's work?
2. What word is best used to describe Robert Lowell?
3. Which of the poets wrote a piece titled, "The Sheep Child?"
4. The introduction states that American art was great because of _____.
5. Elizabeth Bishop was raised by relatives in which major metropolitan area?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give a brief overview of Robert Lowell's life and work as a poet. What were Lowell's main topics? Which techniques did he favor when writing poetry? Also list at least four of Lowell's poems.
2. What other career did A.R. Ammons have while writing poetry on the side? What were some of Ammon's influences outside the literary realm? What are some styles used by Ammons?
3. Describe Richard Hugo's work and possible influence on style and subject.
4. Discuss some of David Wagoner's influences and inspirations. How is Wagoner's work characterized?
5. What is the purpose of the anthology? Who is involved? What are the criteria for the poets? How do these poets reflect the popularity and talent of twentieth century poets?
6. Discuss the wide variety of jobs held by Richard Wilbur. Also discuss Wilbur's style and the poems in which the style is exhibited in this collection.
7. Discuss some of Denise Levertov's themes as well as potential influences on her work and her life.
8. Give a brief overview of John Berryman's life. Also note Berryman's influences, style, and common topics covered in his work. How did critics review Berryman's work?
9. What major theme was often used in James Wright's work? What major award did James Wright win for his work?
10. What is unique about Charles Olson's work? What did Olson do to prepare to write about a particular place or era? How did Olson believe work should be paced?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)