|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From which university did Theodore Roethke graduate?
2. Which one of the poets worked as a consultant to the Library of Congress?
(c) Van Duyn.
3. W.D. Snodgrass served in which branch of the armed forces?
(c) Air Force.
4. What was A.R. Ammons field of study in college?
5. Cunningham's work was referred to as being cool and _____.
Short Answer Questions
1. Justice writes a poem about a lone reader waiting in a _____ at dusk.
2. Ammons favored which style?
3. What position did Dickey hold in the army during WWII?
4. in Creeley's "The Rescue," the poet describes which tragedy?
5. Which poet wrote the "Autumn Shade" series?
Short Essay Questions
1. What other career did A.R. Ammons have while writing poetry on the side? What were some of Ammon's influences outside the literary realm? What are some styles used by Ammons?
2. Examine the unique style of Anthony Hecht as well as some of his professional experiences. Also list some of the poems written by Hecht and included in this book.
3. What major theme was often used in James Wright's work? What major award did James Wright win for his work?
4. Describe Richard Hugo's work and possible influence on style and subject.
5. Examine Robert Duncan's childhood and how it affected his career.
6. What is unusual about Donald Justice's poetry? What does he encourage the reader to see in his work?
7. Give a brief description of Jean Garrigue's life and work.
8. Discuss some of Denise Levertov's themes as well as potential influences on her work and her life.
9. Discuss the varied activities of James Dickey and the one thing that supposedly changed his life. What are some of the themes involved in Dickey's work?
10. Discuss some of David Wagoner's influences and inspirations. How is Wagoner's work characterized?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)