|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frank O'Hara studied at which university?
(b) University of Michigan.
(c) University of Montana.
2. Where is the Jain Bird Hospital located?
3. Elizabeth Bishop was raised by relatives in which major metropolitan area?
(c) St. Louis.
(d) New York.
4. Meredith served in which branch of the armed forces?
(b) Coast Guard.
(d) Air Force.
5. in Creeley's "The Rescue," the poet describes which tragedy?
(a) House fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the latest year in which one of the poets was born?
2. Schuyler compares poetry to which of the following?
3. Robert Penn Warren is said to have written poetry in a _____ style.
4. According to the text, the best English language literature was produced in which century?
5. Richard Hugo grew up in which western US city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Allen Ginsberg's first major success? What made Ginsberg into an iconic poet?
2. Discuss some of Denise Levertov's themes as well as potential influences on her work and her life.
3. What prestigious position did Carolyn Kizer hold? Who greatly influenced Kizer's work? What major award did Kizer receive?
4. Describe Richard Hugo's work and possible influence on style and subject.
5. Why is Robert Penn Warren considered to be one of the country's most famous poets? What position did Warren hold in the 1960s?
6. What is unusual about Donald Justice's poetry? What does he encourage the reader to see in his work?
7. Give a brief description of Jean Garrigue's life and work.
8. Discuss the wide variety of jobs held by Richard Wilbur. Also discuss Wilbur's style and the poems in which the style is exhibited in this collection.
9. Describe William Meredith's work and his main focus. Also list some of the poems included in his section.
10. Discuss the poets listed in the first section. Examine at least one of the topics two or more of the poets have in common.
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)