|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the poets wrote a piece titled, "Einstein's Bathrobe?"
(d) Van Duyn.
2. Which of the poets wrote a piece titled, "The Sheep Child?"
(d) Van Duyn.
3. Which one of the poets worked as a consultant to the Library of Congress?
(b) Van Duyn.
4. What was the profession of Richard Wilbur's father?
5. Which poet was born in Ohio?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the poets worked at the Museum of Modern Art?
2. James Merrill spent part of his life living in which exotic location?
3. Which of the poets wrote a piece titled, "Frederick Douglass?"
4. In which year did Merrill win the Pulitzer Prize?
5. What was the name of the publication edited by Van Duyn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Howard Moss is best known for working with which iconic magazine? What is Moss' style? List some of the poems written by Moss and included in this book.
2. Describe William Meredith's work and his main focus. Also list some of the poems included in his section.
3. Discuss the poets listed in the first section. Examine at least one of the topics two or more of the poets have in common.
4. What major theme was often used in James Wright's work? What major award did James Wright win for his work?
5. Give a brief overview of Robert Lowell's life and work as a poet. What were Lowell's main topics? Which techniques did he favor when writing poetry? Also list at least four of Lowell's poems.
6. Discuss some of David Wagoner's influences and inspirations. How is Wagoner's work characterized?
7. Examine the unique style of Anthony Hecht as well as some of his professional experiences. Also list some of the poems written by Hecht and included in this book.
8. Briefly describe the work of May Swenson. List some of Swenson's works included in the book.
9. Give a brief overview of John Berryman's life. Also note Berryman's influences, style, and common topics covered in his work. How did critics review Berryman's work?
10. Name at least one of the main themes that can be seen in James Merrill's work. What is Merrill's genre? List some of the poems included in Merrill's section.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)