|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cunningham's work was referred to as being cool and _____.
2. Merrill was known for writing in which type of verse?
3. Who was heavily influenced by Theodore Roethke?
4. At the same time, Frank O'Hara also mourned the death of which musician?
5. Frank O'Hara studied at which university?
(b) University of Montana.
(d) University of Michigan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carolyn Kizer wrote a poem about man's abuse of which natural resource?
2. Which poet was the first director of the literary programs at the National Endowment for the Arts?
3. David Wagoner wrote a poem about which activity?
4. What was the name of the publication edited by Van Duyn?
5. W.D. Snodgrass served in which branch of the armed forces?
Short Essay Questions
1. What other career did A.R. Ammons have while writing poetry on the side? What were some of Ammon's influences outside the literary realm? What are some styles used by Ammons?
2. Discuss the varied activities of James Dickey and the one thing that supposedly changed his life. What are some of the themes involved in Dickey's work?
3. What is the purpose of the anthology? Who is involved? What are the criteria for the poets? How do these poets reflect the popularity and talent of twentieth century poets?
4. What is unusual about W.S. Merwin's choice of career? What are some of the main topics and/or themes often used by Merwin?
5. What is unusual about Donald Justice's poetry? What does he encourage the reader to see in his work?
6. Discuss the poets listed in the first section. Examine at least one of the topics two or more of the poets have in common.
7. What is unique about Charles Olson's work? What did Olson do to prepare to write about a particular place or era? How did Olson believe work should be paced?
8. Discuss some of Denise Levertov's themes as well as potential influences on her work and her life.
9. Which major award was won by W. D. Snodgrass? How might Snodgrass' poems be described?
10. Describe William Meredith's work and his main focus. Also list some of the poems included in his section.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)