|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Merrill was known for writing in which type of verse?
2. "Amusing Our Daughters" was written to which of the poet's family members?
3. What position did Dickey hold in the army during WWII?
(a) Fighter pilot.
4. in Creeley's "The Rescue," the poet describes which tragedy?
(b) House fire.
5. Duncan's work is different because it is considered to be more ____.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of Lowell's poems?
2. Which of the poets wrote a piece titled, "Einstein's Bathrobe?"
3. David Wagoner's work was greatly influenced by which native American tribe?
4. Which of the poets was a high school football star?
5. "Mule Team and Poster" was based on a photograph taken by which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe William Meredith's work and his main focus. Also list some of the poems included in his section.
2. What was Allen Ginsberg's first major success? What made Ginsberg into an iconic poet?
3. What prestigious position did Carolyn Kizer hold? Who greatly influenced Kizer's work? What major award did Kizer receive?
4. What major theme was often used in James Wright's work? What major award did James Wright win for his work?
5. Give a brief description of Jean Garrigue's life and work.
6. Why is Robert Penn Warren considered to be one of the country's most famous poets? What position did Warren hold in the 1960s?
7. What is unusual about Donald Justice's poetry? What does he encourage the reader to see in his work?
8. Which major award was won by W. D. Snodgrass? How might Snodgrass' poems be described?
9. What is unique about Charles Olson's work? What did Olson do to prepare to write about a particular place or era? How did Olson believe work should be paced?
10. Howard Moss is best known for working with which iconic magazine? What is Moss' style? List some of the poems written by Moss and included in this book.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)