|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charles Olson refers to himself as which of the following?
2. Randall Jarrell's poetry is typically centered around which event/era?
(a) World War I.
(b) World War II.
(c) Civil War.
(d) The Great Depression.
3. Carolyn Kizer wrote a poem about man's abuse of which natural resource?
4. Which poet wrote "To the Harbormaster?"
5. Which of the poets was a high school football star?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which poet was greatly influenced by William Butler Yeats and W.H. Auden?
2. "Amusing Our Daughters" was written to which of the poet's family members?
3. Richard Hugo taught at which university?
4. Mary Swenson received a degree in which discipline?
5. In what year did O'Hara die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ellen Bryant Voigt compare poetry to music? Why does Voigt make this comparison? In which part of the poem is the comparison most evident?
2. Examine Yusef Komunyakaa's background and influences regarding his work.
3. What is unusual about Donald Justice's poetry? What does he encourage the reader to see in his work?
4. Examine the theme of acceptance and the passing of time as it appears in Jorie Graham's work.
5. What were some of the unusual jobs held by Robert Creeley? Who were Creelye's influenecs? How does Creeley feel about speaking to his readers?
6. What contributions did Mona Van Duyn make to the literary world? What was Van Duyn's biggest accomplishment?
7. How does Michael S. Harper incorporate his heritage into his work? What was Harper's biggest influence? What themes commonly appear in his poetry? List some of Harper's poems that appear in this book.
8. Describe William Meredith's work and his main focus. Also list some of the poems included in his section.
9. Who is Robert Pinsky's main influence? What is Robert Pinsky's goal regarding his poetry? What topic most interests Pinsky? How does Pinsky get his point across?
10. Give a brief description of Jean Garrigue's life and work.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)