|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. James Dickey claims his life was changed after spending a year in which European country?
2. Which of the poets was a high school football star?
3. Which of the following is not one of Lowell's poems?
(a) "Man and Wife."
(b) "Skunk Hour."
(c) "One Art."
4. Justice writes a poem about a lone reader waiting in a _____ at dusk.
(b) Shopping mall.
(c) School yard.
5. Charles Olson refers to himself as which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which poet was the first director of the literary programs at the National Endowment for the Arts?
2. Which poet was greatly influenced by William Butler Yeats and W.H. Auden?
3. "The Day Lady Died" refers to which of the following women?
4. While in residence in Europe, Ashbery held which job?
5. Elizabeth Bishop was raised by relatives in which major metropolitan area?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about Charles Olson's work? What did Olson do to prepare to write about a particular place or era? How did Olson believe work should be paced?
2. Give a brief description of Jean Garrigue's life and work.
3. Which major award was won by W. D. Snodgrass? How might Snodgrass' poems be described?
4. Examine Robert Duncan's childhood and how it affected his career.
5. Describe Richard Hugo's work and possible influence on style and subject.
6. What is unusual about W.S. Merwin's choice of career? What are some of the main topics and/or themes often used by Merwin?
7. What was Allen Ginsberg's first major success? What made Ginsberg into an iconic poet?
8. Discuss some of Denise Levertov's themes as well as potential influences on her work and her life.
9. Give a brief overview of John Berryman's life. Also note Berryman's influences, style, and common topics covered in his work. How did critics review Berryman's work?
10. What were some of the unusual jobs held by Robert Creeley? Who were Creelye's influenecs? How does Creeley feel about speaking to his readers?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)