|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which poet was the first director of the literary programs at the National Endowment for the Arts?
2. What is the earliest year in which one of the poets was born?
3. Robert Penn Warren is said to have written poetry in a _____ style.
4. The introduction states that American art was great because of _____.
5. Merwin, a former expatriate, lives in which US state?
(b) New York.
(c) Rhode Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was heavily influenced by Theodore Roethke?
2. Duncan's work is different because it is considered to be more ____.
3. Which was not one of Cunningham's jobs?
4. According to the text, the best English language literature was produced in which century?
5. Allen Ginsberg is closely affiliated with which poetic movement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss some of David Wagoner's influences and inspirations. How is Wagoner's work characterized?
2. Describe William Meredith's work and his main focus. Also list some of the poems included in his section.
3. Discuss the varied activities of James Dickey and the one thing that supposedly changed his life. What are some of the themes involved in Dickey's work?
4. Describe Richard Hugo's work and possible influence on style and subject.
5. What is the purpose of the anthology? Who is involved? What are the criteria for the poets? How do these poets reflect the popularity and talent of twentieth century poets?
6. Examine Robert Duncan's childhood and how it affected his career.
7. Briefly describe the work of May Swenson. List some of Swenson's works included in the book.
8. Give a brief overview of John Berryman's life. Also note Berryman's influences, style, and common topics covered in his work. How did critics review Berryman's work?
9. What is unique about Charles Olson's work? What did Olson do to prepare to write about a particular place or era? How did Olson believe work should be paced?
10. Name at least one of the main themes that can be seen in James Merrill's work. What is Merrill's genre? List some of the poems included in Merrill's section.
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)