|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which poet wrote "The Old Cosmologists?"
2. Edward Hirsch currently works as the head of which prestigious organization?
(a) Pulitzer Prize Committee.
(b) Guggenheim Foundation.
(c) National Endowment for the Arts.
(d) Library of Congress.
3. Galway Kinnell wrote about which of the following topics?
(b) Mental illness.
(c) Super ID.
(d) Closed self.
4. Which word is best used to describe the work of Sandra McPherson?
5. Which of the following words best describes Sharon Olds' work?
6. Mark Strand was name as the _____ Poet Laureate.
7. Marilyn Hacker spends six months of the year in New York; the other six months in _____.
(b) New Orleans.
8. In Sharon Olds' "The Glass," she writes about her father who is dying from a tumor in which part of his body?
9. Richard Howard worked as a writer and editor of dictionaries. What is the proper name for a person who has that job?
10. Rita Dove's work often blends history with which type of poetry?
11. In Louise Gluck's "Messengers" which of the following seems to be waiting for the poet?
12. What word is used to describe Robert Frost's work?
13. Jorie Graham was raised in which country?
14. William Matthews is not connected to which of the following colleges/universities?
(a) New York City College.
(b) University of North Carolina.
(d) University of Pennsylvania.
15. Robert Haas earned his Ph.D. from which university?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which poet wrote the poem titled, "Mock Orange?"
2. Rita Dove was named as the ____ Poet Laureate.
3. Unlike many poets, Robert Pinsky has no interest in _____.
4. Which of the following was not one of the jobs held by Gary Snyder?
5. Gary Snyder focuses a lot of his work around which topic?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)