|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Merrill was known for writing in which type of verse?
2. What word is best used to describe Robert Lowell?
3. What was A.R. Ammons field of study in college?
4. Which poet was greatly influenced by William Butler Yeats and W.H. Auden?
(a) Theodore Roethke.
(b) Randall Jarrell.
(c) John Berryman.
(d) Elizabeth Bishop.
5. Who was heavily influenced by Theodore Roethke?
6. Frank O'Hara was deeply affected by the death of which famous artist?
7. At the same time, Frank O'Hara also mourned the death of which musician?
8. Which poet wrote the "Autumn Shade" series?
9. Frank O'Hara studied at which university?
(a) University of Michigan.
(b) University of Montana.
10. "Degrees of Gray in Philipsburg" discusses what type of mine?
11. In what year did Swenson move to New York?
12. What was the name of the publication edited by Van Duyn?
13. Richard Hugo taught at which university?
(a) University of Idaho.
(b) University of Iowa.
(c) University of Montana.
(d) University of Wisconsin.
14. What is the latest year in which one of the poets was born?
15. Which poet wrote "To the Harbormaster?"
Short Answer Questions
1. David Wagoner's work was greatly influenced by which native American tribe?
2. Which poet was the first director of the literary programs at the National Endowment for the Arts?
3. "Amusing Our Daughters" was written to which of the poet's family members?
4. James Dickey claims his life was changed after spending a year in which European country?
5. Which of the poets was a high school football star?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)