|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mrs. Olinski tell when she decides that Ethan should be part of the Academic Bowl team?
2. Why does Noah get sent to visit his grandparents?
3. Why does the ship's captain decide to have the monkey and his owner let off the ship at the next port?
4. What does Noah say Grandma Sadie and Grandpa Nate did in their "former lives"?
5. What word does Mrs. Olinski write on the board below her name on the first day of homeroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader find out about Mrs. Olinski at the end of her discussion with Dr. Rohmer, and how does the author continue the mystery about this fact?
2. What is the first question posed during the finals, and how does Mrs. Olinski react after she hears the question?
3. What does Mrs. Draper notice about sixth graders in her time as a teacher and principal?
4. What do The Souls decide their new project will be?
5. Explain the discussion Mrs. Olinski has with Dr. Rohmer about multiculturalism in chapter 2.
6. What is Ham Knapp planning that Julian finds out about on the bus?
7. What does Julian decide to do when he finds out that Arnold will be acting during the performance instead of Ginger, and how does he get even with Ham in the end?
8. How does Julian invite his guests to the first tea party?
9. Why is Julian worried about Ginger's understudy?
10. What happens that reminds Mrs. Olinski of how she chose the fourth member of her Academic Bowl team, and what can the reader now infer from her statements about this choice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Julian, Ethan, Nadia and Mrs. Olinski all contribute to the novel's theme of feeling like an outsider.
Essay Topic 2
It is hinted throughout the novel that sixth graders have changed. Explain some of the examples from the book that support this idea, and state whether you believe that it's true. Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what Nadia tells her father that the turtles do between the time they hatch and the time they mate. Then, describe how Nadia herself is like the turtles.
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)