|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the commissioner pull out of his front pocket before reading the first question?
2. What is the name of the place where Noah's grandparents live?
3. Who owns the dog that ends up as Ginger's understudy?
4. What did Mrs. Singh do for a living before she died?
5. The second Academic Bowl question, posed in chapter 2, revolves around what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Mrs. Olinski uses real life to prepare practice questions for The Souls and give an example.
2. In chapter 5, the reader finds out how Mrs. Olinski chose each of the members of her Academic Bowl team. Explain how she did it.
3. Explain in detail how Nadia feels about Margy and why.
4. What question does Ethan ask during The Souls' latest tea party, and what does each member answer?
5. Explain how Mrs. Olinski feels when the state championships are over and why.
6. What chicken-and-egg discussion do The Souls get into with Mrs. Olinski in the first chapter?
7. Explain what The Souls do after their win to show their support and unity with Mrs. Olinski.
8. Explain Julian's answer to the question about acronyms that have entered the language as words.
9. What does Julian do to help Ginger prepare for her audition? Give a detailed answer.
10. What difficulty does the commissioner of education have with the match-point question, and what does he do to help prevent any problems?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the main characters from "The View from Saturday" and explain how that character has been on a journey, and what that character found on their journey.
Essay Topic 2
Using specific examples, explain how mistakes and perfectionism are recurring themes throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
It is hinted throughout the novel that sixth graders have changed. Explain some of the examples from the book that support this idea, and state whether you believe that it's true. Support your answer.
This section contains 1,836 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)