|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Olinski wearing at the Bowl?
2. What does Ethan want to be when he grows up?
3. What does Tillie say is the biggest single factor in the decline of Western Civilization?
4. What color of hair does Mrs. Olinski NOT mention in her joke with Dr. Rohmer?
5. What answer does Mrs. Olinski give most often about how she chose her team?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. Olinski's impression of the commissioner of education as he directs the Academic Bowl?
2. What is Ham Knapp planning that Julian finds out about on the bus?
3. Explain how Mrs. Olinski goes about gaining an impression of Ethan.
4. What does Mrs. Olinski say about how she chose the members of her Academic Bowl team?
5. How does Noah react to his mom telling him to write a B&B letter? How does she get him to write the letter anyway?
6. What are Julian's first few days at school like?
7. Explain the realization Nadia and her dad have about how Nadia is like the turtles.
8. Explain the discussion Mrs. Olinski has with Dr. Rohmer about multiculturalism in chapter 2.
9. What does the reader find out about Mrs. Olinski at the end of her discussion with Dr. Rohmer, and how does the author continue the mystery about this fact?
10. Describe how Ethan feels about Julian when the two first meet.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 10, Mr. Singh tells Mrs. Olinski that "It often takes more courage to be a passenger than a driver." Explain what he means by this quote and give a descriptive example using one of the characters from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the narrative style of "The View from Saturday" and explain how this narrative style affects the reader's experience of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the main characters from "The View from Saturday" and explain how that character has been on a journey, and what that character found on their journey.
This section contains 1,304 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)