|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mrs. Olinski tell when she decides that Ethan should be part of the Academic Bowl team?
2. What does Julian say his mother was?
3. What does Mrs. Olinski say about her fourth choice for the Academic Bowl team?
4. What does Ethan give Julian as a gift?
5. What does the narrator say Mrs. Olinski knows about Nadia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Noah react to his mom telling him to write a B&B letter? How does she get him to write the letter anyway?
2. Why is Julian worried about Ginger's understudy?
3. What do we know about Nadia from chapter 2?
4. Why does Mrs. Olinski leave her name and the word "paraplegic" written on the board on the first day, and what does she learn from this experience?
5. Explain in detail how Nadia feels about Margy and why.
6. How does Julian invite his guests to the first tea party?
7. What happens that reminds Mrs. Olinski of how she chose the fourth member of her Academic Bowl team, and what can the reader now infer from her statements about this choice?
8. What does the reader find out about Mrs. Olinski at the end of her discussion with Dr. Rohmer, and how does the author continue the mystery about this fact?
9. Describe the relationship between Mrs. Olinski and Mrs. Draper.
10. Describe what school was like at the school where Mrs. Draper was principal.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 10, Mr. Singh tells Mrs. Olinski that "It often takes more courage to be a passenger than a driver." Explain what he means by this quote and give a descriptive example using one of the characters from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The relationship that Mrs. Olinski has to The Souls is a two-way relationship. Explain why this is true by describing how the relationship has helped both The Souls and Mrs. Olinski. Finally, explain what The Souls' desire to help says about the character of each of the members.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Dr. Rohmer and explain what he has to do with the novel's theme of power.
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)