|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tillie say is the biggest single factor in the decline of Western Civilization?
2. What does the narrator say the chicken-and-egg discussion ended with?
3. What does Nadia say her bubbe would have made when she goes back to her grandpa's apartment to have Oreos?
4. Which name did Mrs. Olinski have two of in her class the year she had her accident?
5. Who owns the dog that ends up as Ginger's understudy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julian decide to do when he finds out that Arnold will be acting during the performance instead of Ginger, and how does he get even with Ham in the end?
2. What does Mrs. Draper notice about sixth graders in her time as a teacher and principal?
3. Explain how Mrs. Olinski goes about gaining an impression of Ethan.
4. What is Mrs. Olinski's impression of the commissioner of education as he directs the Academic Bowl?
5. How does Noah react to his mom telling him to write a B&B letter? How does she get him to write the letter anyway?
6. Describe how Ethan feels about Julian when the two first meet.
7. What happens that reminds Mrs. Olinski of how she chose the fourth member of her Academic Bowl team, and what can the reader now infer from her statements about this choice?
8. Describe the differences between The Souls and the team from Maxwell.
9. Explain the realization Nadia and her dad have about how Nadia is like the turtles.
10. Describe how the wedding cake is ruined and how it is saved again.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is hinted throughout the novel that sixth graders have changed. Explain some of the examples from the book that support this idea, and state whether you believe that it's true. Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what Julian finds out about Ham just before Ginger plays Sandy at the first performance of Annie, what he decides to do about it, and what this says about Julian's character.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Dr. Rohmer and explain what he has to do with the novel's theme of power.
This section contains 1,387 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)