|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Mrs. Olinski write on the board below her name on the first day of homeroom?
2. How many dogs arrive for the audition with Ginger?
3. What does Mrs. Olinski say about her fourth choice for the Academic Bowl team?
4. What did sixth graders use to ask, according to the narrator?
5. What does Ethan want to be when he grows up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julian decide to do when he finds out that Arnold will be acting during the performance instead of Ginger, and how does he get even with Ham in the end?
2. Describe the relationship between Mrs. Olinski and Mrs. Draper.
3. What chicken-and-egg discussion do The Souls get into with Mrs. Olinski in the first chapter?
4. How does Noah react to his mom telling him to write a B&B letter? How does she get him to write the letter anyway?
5. What does the reader find out about Mrs. Olinski at the end of her discussion with Dr. Rohmer, and how does the author continue the mystery about this fact?
6. What difficulty does the commissioner of education have with the match-point question, and what does he do to help prevent any problems?
7. What does Mrs. Draper notice about sixth graders in her time as a teacher and principal?
8. Describe the conversation Mr. Singh and Mrs. Olinski have in the car on the way to the state championship.
9. Explain the discussion Mrs. Olinski has with Dr. Rohmer about multiculturalism in chapter 2.
10. What are Julian's first few days at school like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what Noah gives as a surprise present to the guests at Izzy and Margy's wedding and what this tells the reader about Noah.
Essay Topic 2
It is hinted throughout the novel that sixth graders have changed. Explain some of the examples from the book that support this idea, and state whether you believe that it's true. Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the conversation that Mrs. Olinski and Dr. Rohmer have about multiculturalism in chapter 2. Then explain what this conversation tells the reader about Dr. Rohmer's views of multiculturalism versus Mrs. Olinski's views.
This section contains 1,825 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)