|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the ship's captain decide to have the monkey and his owner let off the ship at the next port?
2. What does Ethan say is the difference between Ginger and Sandy?
3. What does the narrator compare Nadia to when first introducing her in chapter 2?
4. What word does Noah use over and over in his narrative about his trip to his grandparents' house?
5. What does the narrator say the chicken-and-egg discussion ended with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What question does Ethan ask during The Souls' latest tea party, and what does each member answer?
2. What does Mrs. Olinski say about how she chose the members of her Academic Bowl team?
3. What is Nadia's relationship with her old friends like in "Nadia Tells of Turtle Love"? How does Nadia explain this relationship?
4. What happens that reminds Mrs. Olinski of how she chose the fourth member of her Academic Bowl team, and what can the reader now infer from her statements about this choice?
5. Explain how Mrs. Olinski goes about gaining an impression of Ethan.
6. What is the first question posed during the finals, and how does Mrs. Olinski react after she hears the question?
7. Describe how Ethan feels about Julian when the two first meet.
8. Describe the differences between The Souls and the team from Maxwell.
9. What does Julian do to help Ginger prepare for her audition? Give a detailed answer.
10. Explain the realization Nadia and her dad have about how Nadia is like the turtles.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what the four main types of plot conflicts are and give an example of one plot conflict from the book, explaining why the situation you chose is a plot conflict and which category it belongs to.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what Julian finds out about Ham just before Ginger plays Sandy at the first performance of Annie, what he decides to do about it, and what this says about Julian's character.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how E.L. Konigsburg uses foreshadowing and flashbacks and the effect this technique has on the reader's emotion and what the reader knows. Be sure to use specific details from the story!
This section contains 1,337 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)