|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the topic of the workshop Dr. Rohmer completed?
2. Whom is the "man of the hour" in chapter 2?
3. What does the narrator say Mrs. Olinski knows about Nadia?
4. When does Ethan ring in after the question about the places in New York State is asked?
5. How does Nadia greet Mrs. Olinski?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Epiphany and Knightsbridge in chapter 7.
2. Describe how Mrs. Olinski uses real life to prepare practice questions for The Souls and give an example.
3. What is Nadia's relationship with her old friends like in "Nadia Tells of Turtle Love"? How does Nadia explain this relationship?
4. What question does Ethan ask during The Souls' latest tea party, and what does each member answer?
5. Explain Julian's answer to the question about acronyms that have entered the language as words.
6. Describe the mood at Sillington House when Mrs. Olinski comes to visit in chapter 12 and why the mood is the way it is.
7. How do The Souls raise the money to pay for the buses to Albany?
8. What angers Nadia in her conversation with Ethan, and why?
9. What does the reader find out about Mrs. Olinski at the end of her discussion with Dr. Rohmer, and how does the author continue the mystery about this fact?
10. What does the reader find out about Mrs. Olinski's first few minutes in class that he or she didn't know before the beginning of chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Dr. Rohmer and explain what he has to do with the novel's theme of power.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how E.L. Konigsburg uses foreshadowing and flashbacks and the effect this technique has on the reader's emotion and what the reader knows. Be sure to use specific details from the story!
Essay Topic 3
Describe what Mrs. Olinski decides to do in order to get to know Ethan better, and explain why this is important to Ethan and how it relates to Ethan's character.
This section contains 1,791 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)