|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Olinski say "paraplegic" means?
2. Who was the principal at the first school where Mrs. Olinski taught?
3. What color of hair does Mrs. Olinski NOT mention in her joke with Dr. Rohmer?
4. Which student asks Mrs. Olinski to write higher on the board?
5. What show does Allen take Nadia and Ethan to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Noah tell the reader about Allen Diamondstein?
2. What does Julian decide to do when he finds out that Arnold will be acting during the performance instead of Ginger, and how does he get even with Ham in the end?
3. Describe the relationship between Mrs. Olinski and Mrs. Draper.
4. Explain in detail how Nadia feels about Margy and why.
5. Explain the discussion Mrs. Olinski has with Dr. Rohmer about multiculturalism in chapter 2.
6. Explain how Noah and Tillie cut costs on the groceries for the wedding.
7. What question does Ethan ask during The Souls' latest tea party, and what does each member answer?
8. Describe how the wedding cake is ruined and how it is saved again.
9. What is Mrs. Olinski's impression of the commissioner of education as he directs the Academic Bowl?
10. What does Mrs. Olinski say about how she chose the members of her Academic Bowl team?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what the four main types of plot conflicts are and give an example of one plot conflict from the book, explaining why the situation you chose is a plot conflict and which category it belongs to.
Essay Topic 2
Name some of the "underdogs" in the story, explain how they are underdogs and describe why it's important for the underdogs to win.
Essay Topic 3
It is hinted throughout the novel that sixth graders have changed. Explain some of the examples from the book that support this idea, and state whether you believe that it's true. Support your answer.
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)