|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nadia say her bubbe would have made when she goes back to her grandpa's apartment to have Oreos?
2. What is the name of the monkey that accompanies Julian and his family aboard the ship?
3. What does Allen break that prevents him from being the best man at the wedding?
4. What does Mrs. Olinski know about Ethan before she met him?
5. What is the name of the place where Noah's grandparents live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that reminds Mrs. Olinski of how she chose the fourth member of her Academic Bowl team, and what can the reader now infer from her statements about this choice?
2. Explain how Noah and Tillie cut costs on the groceries for the wedding.
3. What angers Nadia in her conversation with Ethan, and why?
4. What does Julian do to help Ginger prepare for her audition? Give a detailed answer.
5. Explain how Mrs. Olinski goes about gaining an impression of Ethan.
6. Why does Mrs. Olinski leave her name and the word "paraplegic" written on the board on the first day, and what does she learn from this experience?
7. What does the reader find out about Mrs. Olinski's first few minutes in class that he or she didn't know before the beginning of chapter 4?
8. What is Mrs. Olinski's impression of the commissioner of education as he directs the Academic Bowl?
9. What does Julian decide to do when he finds out that Arnold will be acting during the performance instead of Ginger, and how does he get even with Ham in the end?
10. What does the reader find out about Mrs. Olinski at the end of her discussion with Dr. Rohmer, and how does the author continue the mystery about this fact?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what Julian finds out about Ham just before Ginger plays Sandy at the first performance of Annie, what he decides to do about it, and what this says about Julian's character.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Dr. Rohmer and explain what he has to do with the novel's theme of power.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how The Souls become friends and describe what their friendship is like. Then choose one of the characters from the group and explain what the friendship means to that member in particular.
This section contains 1,343 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)