|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Venetia and Sir Lambert encounter on the walk home in Chapter 19?
2. Why does Aubrey's dog begin to bark in Chapter 14?
3. Where does Mrs. Scorrier wish to have all of Aubrey's dogs kept?
4. How does Mrs. Hendred react when she sees the striking woman in Chapter 18?
5. According to Mrs. Hendred, why must Venetia not meet with the striking woman in Chapter 18?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret Heyer's use of irony in the novel "Venetia." What are the three types of irony? What are some examples of irony in the novel? Why might Heyer have chosen to use irony when she does? Quote the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how romance novels try to satisfy their readers. What methods are used to please the readers? What elements of a romance novel are necessary to meet the expectations of the reader?
Essay Topic 3
What is a character foil? Who are the character foils in "Venetia"? Why are these characters examples of character foils? How do they influence the other characters and the plot? Make sure you define character foil and give specific examples of each character's influence on others and the plot by using quotes to support your statements.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)