|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Aubrey respond when Mrs. Scorrier picks fights with him?
2. What is the name of Aubrey's dog that scares Charlotte in Chapter 14?
3. What does Oswald complain to Damerel about in Chapter 9?
4. What had Venetia longed to do as a little girl?
5. Who do Venetia and Sir Lambert encounter on the walk home in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Damerel react when Venetia tells him that she intends to set up house for herself in Chapter 13?
2. How does the arrival of Mrs. Scorrier affect the running of Undershaw?
3. Why isn't Venetia enjoying her London trip?
4. What happens while Venetia, Yardley and Mrs. Hendred attend the theater?
5. What does Venetia talk to her mother about when she meets her for the first time?
6. How does Mrs. Hendred try to meddle in Venetia's affairs?
7. What are Aubrey and Venetia shocked to find out upon returning to Undershaw in Chapter 10?
8. How does Venetia get along with Sir Lambert?
9. What does Mrs. Hendred confess to Venetia at the end of Chapter 17 and how does Venetia react?
10. Why does Yardley finally lose interest in Venetia in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the setting affect the plot and the characters? How does Heyer create a realistic portrayal of Regency England?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the novel, Georgette Heyer. Is she a respected novelist? What has she achieved throughout her career? What types of novels does she write? Are there similarities between "Venetia" and her other novels?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dialogue used in the novel "Venetia." What are some terms or phrases that are not used today, but would have been used during the early 19th century? How do the characters speak to one another? How does the dialogue show the social classes of the characters? Strengthen your position by using quotes from the book.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)