|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Damerel almost do after Oswald leaves in Chapter 9?
2. Why does Mrs. Scorrier try to make amends with Venetia in Chapter 14?
3. How is Venetia dressed at the beginning of Chapter 19?
4. Why does Aubrey's dog begin to bark in Chapter 14?
5. Who is Marston?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Hendred convince Venetia to go out on the town with her and Yardley? Where do they go?
2. Why does Yardley finally lose interest in Venetia in Chapter 19?
3. What does Sir John and Lady Denny do after they hear that Oswald challenged Damerel to a duel?
4. What conflict is Venetia burdened with in Chapter 14?
5. Why does Venetia go in search of a hotel at the beginning of Chapter 19?
6. Why does Venetia need to find a new place for Aubrey? What solution does she find?
7. What disagreement arises because of Aubrey's dog, Bess, in Chapter 14?
8. How does Venetia react when she finds out that the woman at the theater is her mother?
9. What does Mrs. Hendred confess to Venetia at the end of Chapter 17 and how does Venetia react?
10. Why does Oswald intercept Damerel on his way home in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a character foil? Who are the character foils in "Venetia"? Why are these characters examples of character foils? How do they influence the other characters and the plot? Make sure you define character foil and give specific examples of each character's influence on others and the plot by using quotes to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Venetia Lanyon. What are her strengths and weaknesses? What are her defining character traits? Make sure you define the role of the protagonist in writing and support your statements about her traits with specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of separation in the novel "Venetia." How does the separation between Venetia and Damerel during Venetia's trip to London affect each of them? Why does Damerel encourage Venetia to go to London and how does this make her feel? What does Venetia spend her time doing while she is away from Damerel? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)