|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Hendred, why must Venetia not meet with the striking woman in Chapter 18?
2. What does Venetia tell her aunt at the end of Chapter 19?
3. What does Lady Steeple learn about Venetia that she finds horrible?
4. What does Lady Denny worry about once she realizes that Venetia loves Damerel?
5. How does Venetia feel when she is busy in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflict is Venetia burdened with in Chapter 14?
2. What does Mrs. Hendred confess to Venetia at the end of Chapter 17 and how does Venetia react?
3. How does Venetia react when she finds out that the woman at the theater is her mother?
4. Why does Mrs. Scorrier try to make amends with Venetia in Chapter 15?
5. What does Venetia talk to her mother about when she meets her for the first time?
6. What disagreement arises because of Aubrey's dog, Bess, in Chapter 14?
7. How does Mrs. Hendred try to meddle in Venetia's affairs?
8. Why does Venetia's uncle visit her in Chapter 15?
9. What are Aubrey and Venetia shocked to find out upon returning to Undershaw in Chapter 10?
10. Why isn't Venetia enjoying her London trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Venetia Lanyon. What are her strengths and weaknesses? What are her defining character traits? Make sure you define the role of the protagonist in writing and support your statements about her traits with specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Venetia and Damerel. How do they feel about one another when they first meet? How do their feelings progress as the novel progresses? What conflicts and obstacles do these characters face? How do they overcome these obstacles? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the social rules and manners that the characters must abide by during this time period. How do these social rules affect the plot and characters of the novel? How do they create barriers in Venetia's and Damerel's relationship? Use two sources in addition to the novel to help support your statements.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)