|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lady Steeple breakdown in front of Venetia in Chapter 19?
2. Where does Damerel suggest Aubrey go in Chapter 13?
3. Who do Venetia and Sir Lambert encounter on the walk home in Chapter 19?
4. Why does Mrs. Priddy dote on Charlotte?
5. What does Oswald complain to Damerel about in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Oswald intercept Damerel on his way home in Chapter 9?
2. Why doesn't Damerel kiss Venetia in Chapter 9?
3. How does Mrs. Hendred try to meddle in Venetia's affairs?
4. Why has Yardley come to London? What does Mrs. Hendred think of Yardley?
5. How does Venetia react when she finds out that the woman at the theater is her mother?
6. Why does Mrs. Scorrier try to make amends with Venetia in Chapter 15?
7. What disagreement arises because of Aubrey's dog, Bess, in Chapter 14?
8. How does Mrs. Scorrier and Charlotte react to a visit from Damerel in Chapter 12?
9. How does the arrival of Mrs. Scorrier affect the running of Undershaw?
10. What does Mrs. Hendred confess to Venetia at the end of Chapter 17 and how does Venetia react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss conflict in the novel "Venetia." What are the main conflicts of the novel? How do these conflicts affect the plot and characters of the novel? How do they affect the reader's enjoyment of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the examples of love and romance in the novel "Venetia." What are some examples? Is Venetia a romantic character? Why or why not? Is Damerel a romantic character? How does Heyer infuse romance into the plot? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
What is the genre of the novel "Venetia"? Discuss this genre and some common elements of the genre. What are some other novels of this genre?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)