|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Priddy dote on Charlotte?
2. Why is Venetia unable to sleep during her London trip in Chapter 16?
3. What is the name of the striking woman who Venetia sees in Chapter 18?
4. What does Venetia find that she enjoys doing in Chapter 16?
5. Who does Venetia receive a lengthy letter from in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Yardley finally lose interest in Venetia in Chapter 19?
2. What kind of plan does Venetia come up with in Chapter 18?
3. How does Venetia get along with Sir Lambert?
4. Why isn't Venetia enjoying her London trip?
5. What are Aubrey and Venetia shocked to find out upon returning to Undershaw in Chapter 10?
6. What does Sir John and Lady Denny do after they hear that Oswald challenged Damerel to a duel?
7. Why does Venetia go in search of a hotel at the beginning of Chapter 19?
8. How does Mrs. Hendred try to meddle in Venetia's affairs?
9. What does Mrs. Hendred confess to Venetia at the end of Chapter 17 and how does Venetia react?
10. How does Mrs. Scorrier and Charlotte react to a visit from Damerel in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the character Damerel. What are his defining character traits? How is he viewed in society? What obstacles does he face? How does he overcome them? How does he influence the protagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the examples of love and romance in the novel "Venetia." What are some examples? Is Venetia a romantic character? Why or why not? Is Damerel a romantic character? How does Heyer infuse romance into the plot? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dialogue used in the novel "Venetia." What are some terms or phrases that are not used today, but would have been used during the early 19th century? How do the characters speak to one another? How does the dialogue show the social classes of the characters? Strengthen your position by using quotes from the book.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)