|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Venetia dressed at the beginning of Chapter 19?
2. Who is Marston?
3. How does Mrs. Hendred react when she sees the striking woman in Chapter 18?
4. How does Venetia react to Mrs. Scorrier's attempt to make amends?
5. How is Sir Lambert described?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Venetia react when she finds out that the woman at the theater is her mother?
2. What kind of plan does Venetia come up with in Chapter 18?
3. How does Mrs. Hendred try to meddle in Venetia's affairs?
4. Why does Venetia need to find a new place for Aubrey? What solution does she find?
5. What does Mrs. Hendred confess to Venetia at the end of Chapter 17 and how does Venetia react?
6. What does Sir John and Lady Denny do after they hear that Oswald challenged Damerel to a duel?
7. What disagreement arises because of Aubrey's dog, Bess, in Chapter 14?
8. How does Venetia get along with Sir Lambert?
9. How does Mrs. Hendred convince Venetia to go out on the town with her and Yardley? Where do they go?
10. Why has Yardley come to London? What does Mrs. Hendred think of Yardley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some romance novel archetypes in the novel "Venetia"? What type of hero is Damerel? What type of heroine is Venetia? Give examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the novel "Venetia." What are some examples of jealousy? What is Oswald jealous of? Is Damerel ever jealous of Venetia's other suitors? What do these feelings tell the reader about the feelings of these characters? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dialogue used in the novel "Venetia." What are some terms or phrases that are not used today, but would have been used during the early 19th century? How do the characters speak to one another? How does the dialogue show the social classes of the characters? Strengthen your position by using quotes from the book.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)