|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Venetia and Lady Steeple talk about when they meet for the first time?
2. Why does Lady Steeple breakdown in front of Venetia in Chapter 19?
3. Where does Damerel take Aubrey in Chapter 10?
4. Where does Venetia spot a striking woman accompanied by a man who looks like the Prince Regent?
5. How does Mrs. Hendred react when she sees the striking woman in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Damerel kiss Venetia in Chapter 9?
2. Why does Venetia need to find a new place for Aubrey? What solution does she find?
3. Why has Yardley come to London? What does Mrs. Hendred think of Yardley?
4. What does Venetia talk to her mother about when she meets her for the first time?
5. Why does Yardley finally lose interest in Venetia in Chapter 19?
6. What conflict is Venetia burdened with in Chapter 14?
7. Why does Venetia's uncle visit her in Chapter 15?
8. How does Mrs. Hendred try to meddle in Venetia's affairs?
9. Why does Mrs. Scorrier try to make amends with Venetia in Chapter 15?
10. How does Damerel react when Venetia tells him that she intends to set up house for herself in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Venetia and Damerel. How do they feel about one another when they first meet? How do their feelings progress as the novel progresses? What conflicts and obstacles do these characters face? How do they overcome these obstacles? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the novel "Venetia." What are some examples of jealousy? What is Oswald jealous of? Is Damerel ever jealous of Venetia's other suitors? What do these feelings tell the reader about the feelings of these characters? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
What is a character foil? Who are the character foils in "Venetia"? Why are these characters examples of character foils? How do they influence the other characters and the plot? Make sure you define character foil and give specific examples of each character's influence on others and the plot by using quotes to support your statements.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)