|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Scorrier, what does Charlotte have a horror of?
2. Why does Aubrey's dog begin to bark in Chapter 14?
3. What do Venetia and Lady Steeple talk about when they meet for the first time?
4. What causes Venetia to feel depressed in Chapter 16?
5. What does Mrs. Hendred think about Yardley as possible husband for Venetia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of plan does Venetia come up with in Chapter 18?
2. Why does Mrs. Scorrier try to make amends with Venetia in Chapter 15?
3. How does Mrs. Scorrier and Charlotte react to a visit from Damerel in Chapter 12?
4. How does the arrival of Mrs. Scorrier affect the running of Undershaw?
5. Why doesn't Damerel kiss Venetia in Chapter 9?
6. What are Aubrey and Venetia shocked to find out upon returning to Undershaw in Chapter 10?
7. Why does Venetia need to find a new place for Aubrey? What solution does she find?
8. What conflict is Venetia burdened with in Chapter 14?
9. What does Sir John and Lady Denny do after they hear that Oswald challenged Damerel to a duel?
10. How does Mrs. Hendred convince Venetia to go out on the town with her and Yardley? Where do they go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the examples of love and romance in the novel "Venetia." What are some examples? Is Venetia a romantic character? Why or why not? Is Damerel a romantic character? How does Heyer infuse romance into the plot? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the dialogue used in the novel "Venetia." What are some terms or phrases that are not used today, but would have been used during the early 19th century? How do the characters speak to one another? How does the dialogue show the social classes of the characters? Strengthen your position by using quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Venetia and Damerel. How do they feel about one another when they first meet? How do their feelings progress as the novel progresses? What conflicts and obstacles do these characters face? How do they overcome these obstacles? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)