|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Venetia feel when she is busy in Chapter 16?
2. What does Venetia set out to find on the morning after she finds out about her mother?
3. What do the dog that angers Mrs. Scorrier and Charlotte have in common?
4. What does Lady Steeple tell Venetia that she never wanted in Chapter 19?
5. What do Venetia and Lady Steeple talk about when they meet for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Hendred convince Venetia to go out on the town with her and Yardley? Where do they go?
2. Why does Mrs. Scorrier try to make amends with Venetia in Chapter 15?
3. How does Venetia react when she finds out that the woman at the theater is her mother?
4. Why has Yardley come to London? What does Mrs. Hendred think of Yardley?
5. What conflict is Venetia burdened with in Chapter 14?
6. How does Mrs. Scorrier and Charlotte react to a visit from Damerel in Chapter 12?
7. Why does Oswald intercept Damerel on his way home in Chapter 9?
8. Why does Venetia's uncle visit her in Chapter 15?
9. How does Mrs. Hendred try to meddle in Venetia's affairs?
10. How does Venetia get along with Sir Lambert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the examples of love and romance in the novel "Venetia." What are some examples? Is Venetia a romantic character? Why or why not? Is Damerel a romantic character? How does Heyer infuse romance into the plot? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of marriage in the novel "Venetia." Why is marriage so important to the characters of the novel? How is marriage portrayed in the novel? How is marriage a hurdle for Venetia? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel, Georgette Heyer. Is she a respected novelist? What has she achieved throughout her career? What types of novels does she write? Are there similarities between "Venetia" and her other novels?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)