|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Venetia receive a lengthy letter from in Chapter 13?
2. Where does Mrs. Scorrier wish to have all of Aubrey's dogs kept?
3. Why does Mrs. Scorrier stop interfering in Aubrey's affairs after awhile?
4. What do the servants do when Mrs. Scorrier asks them to do anything?
5. Why does Mrs. Priddy dote on Charlotte?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn't Venetia enjoying her London trip?
2. Why does Oswald intercept Damerel on his way home in Chapter 9?
3. How does Mrs. Hendred convince Venetia to go out on the town with her and Yardley? Where do they go?
4. What does Venetia talk to her mother about when she meets her for the first time?
5. Why does Venetia's uncle visit her in Chapter 15?
6. How does Venetia get along with Sir Lambert?
7. What does Mrs. Hendred confess to Venetia at the end of Chapter 17 and how does Venetia react?
8. What disagreement arises because of Aubrey's dog, Bess, in Chapter 14?
9. Why does Yardley finally lose interest in Venetia in Chapter 19?
10. Why does Venetia go in search of a hotel at the beginning of Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss conflict in the novel "Venetia." What are the main conflicts of the novel? How do these conflicts affect the plot and characters of the novel? How do they affect the reader's enjoyment of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the setting affect the plot and the characters? How does Heyer create a realistic portrayal of Regency England?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of marriage in the novel "Venetia." Why is marriage so important to the characters of the novel? How is marriage portrayed in the novel? How is marriage a hurdle for Venetia? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)