|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the striking woman who Venetia saw in Chapter 18?
2. What does Venetia realize about Damerel's feelings in Chapter 17?
3. Where does Venetia go following her visit with her uncle in Chapter 15?
4. Where do Sir John and Lady Denny send Oswald?
5. What does Oswald seek from Damerel when he intercepts him on the way home in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflict is Venetia burdened with in Chapter 14?
2. How does Damerel react when Venetia tells him that she intends to set up house for herself in Chapter 13?
3. Why has Yardley come to London? What does Mrs. Hendred think of Yardley?
4. Why doesn't Damerel kiss Venetia in Chapter 9?
5. Why does Venetia go in search of a hotel at the beginning of Chapter 19?
6. How does Venetia react when she finds out that the woman at the theater is her mother?
7. Why does Venetia's uncle visit her in Chapter 15?
8. How does Venetia get along with Sir Lambert?
9. Why does Oswald intercept Damerel on his way home in Chapter 9?
10. How does Mrs. Hendred convince Venetia to go out on the town with her and Yardley? Where do they go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the examples of love and romance in the novel "Venetia." What are some examples? Is Venetia a romantic character? Why or why not? Is Damerel a romantic character? How does Heyer infuse romance into the plot? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of marriage in the novel "Venetia." Why is marriage so important to the characters of the novel? How is marriage portrayed in the novel? How is marriage a hurdle for Venetia? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Venetia and Damerel. How do they feel about one another when they first meet? How do their feelings progress as the novel progresses? What conflicts and obstacles do these characters face? How do they overcome these obstacles? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)