|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Venetia and Lady Steeple talk about when they meet for the first time?
2. Why does Venetia's uncle come to Undershaw in Chapter 15?
3. What does Lady Steeple learn about Venetia that she finds horrible?
4. What is the name of the striking woman who Venetia sees in Chapter 18?
5. Who is Marston?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Venetia get along with Sir Lambert?
2. Why does Venetia go in search of a hotel at the beginning of Chapter 19?
3. What happens while Venetia, Yardley and Mrs. Hendred attend the theater?
4. Why does Oswald intercept Damerel on his way home in Chapter 9?
5. What are Aubrey and Venetia shocked to find out upon returning to Undershaw in Chapter 10?
6. Why does Venetia's uncle visit her in Chapter 15?
7. What does Venetia talk to her mother about when she meets her for the first time?
8. What does Sir John and Lady Denny do after they hear that Oswald challenged Damerel to a duel?
9. What disagreement arises because of Aubrey's dog, Bess, in Chapter 14?
10. How does the arrival of Mrs. Scorrier affect the running of Undershaw?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Venetia." Who are the members of Venetia's family? Does Venetia have good relationships with her family? Discuss the relationship between Venetia and her brother, Aubrey. How does Venetia's family help and/or hinder her relationship with Damerel. Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
What are some romance novel archetypes in the novel "Venetia"? What type of hero is Damerel? What type of heroine is Venetia? Give examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the novel "Venetia." What are some examples of jealousy? What is Oswald jealous of? Is Damerel ever jealous of Venetia's other suitors? What do these feelings tell the reader about the feelings of these characters? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)