|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lady Steeple breakdown in front of Venetia in Chapter 19?
2. What causes Venetia to feel depressed in Chapter 16?
3. What does Venetia find that she enjoys doing in Chapter 16?
4. What do the servants do when Mrs. Scorrier asks them to do anything?
5. Who is Mrs. Scorrier?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Aubrey and Venetia shocked to find out upon returning to Undershaw in Chapter 10?
2. Why does Venetia's uncle visit her in Chapter 15?
3. What does Sir John and Lady Denny do after they hear that Oswald challenged Damerel to a duel?
4. Why isn't Venetia enjoying her London trip?
5. Why doesn't Damerel kiss Venetia in Chapter 9?
6. What disagreement arises because of Aubrey's dog, Bess, in Chapter 14?
7. Why does Yardley finally lose interest in Venetia in Chapter 19?
8. What does Venetia talk to her mother about when she meets her for the first time?
9. What happens while Venetia, Yardley and Mrs. Hendred attend the theater?
10. Why has Yardley come to London? What does Mrs. Hendred think of Yardley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Venetia." Who are the members of Venetia's family? Does Venetia have good relationships with her family? Discuss the relationship between Venetia and her brother, Aubrey. How does Venetia's family help and/or hinder her relationship with Damerel. Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how romance novels try to satisfy their readers. What methods are used to please the readers? What elements of a romance novel are necessary to meet the expectations of the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of separation in the novel "Venetia." How does the separation between Venetia and Damerel during Venetia's trip to London affect each of them? Why does Damerel encourage Venetia to go to London and how does this make her feel? What does Venetia spend her time doing while she is away from Damerel? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)