|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Conway send Mrs. Scorrier to Undershaw?
2. According to Mrs. Hendred, why must Venetia not meet with the striking woman in Chapter 18?
3. How does Aubrey respond when Mrs. Scorrier picks fights with him?
4. How does Venetia feel when she is busy in Chapter 16?
5. What is the name of the striking woman who Venetia sees in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Damerel kiss Venetia in Chapter 9?
2. What conflict is Venetia burdened with in Chapter 14?
3. Why does Venetia's uncle visit her in Chapter 15?
4. How does Venetia get along with Sir Lambert?
5. How does the arrival of Mrs. Scorrier affect the running of Undershaw?
6. How does Mrs. Hendred convince Venetia to go out on the town with her and Yardley? Where do they go?
7. What kind of plan does Venetia come up with in Chapter 18?
8. Why does Yardley finally lose interest in Venetia in Chapter 19?
9. How does Venetia react when she finds out that the woman at the theater is her mother?
10. Why does Mrs. Scorrier try to make amends with Venetia in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the novel "Venetia." What are some examples of jealousy? What is Oswald jealous of? Is Damerel ever jealous of Venetia's other suitors? What do these feelings tell the reader about the feelings of these characters? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the examples of love and romance in the novel "Venetia." What are some examples? Is Venetia a romantic character? Why or why not? Is Damerel a romantic character? How does Heyer infuse romance into the plot? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the social rules and manners that the characters must abide by during this time period. How do these social rules affect the plot and characters of the novel? How do they create barriers in Venetia's and Damerel's relationship? Use two sources in addition to the novel to help support your statements.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)