|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does NOT worry about the propriety of Venetia's visits to the Priory in Chapter 7?
2. Who does Venetia tell about her encounter with Lord Damerel ?
3. What does Yardley refer to as of "particular delicacy."
4. What word did Venetia use to describe Yardley to Damerel?
5. What is the name of Venetia's nurse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What alerts Damerel to the fact that Venetia is not just a village maid?
2. What does Oswald decide when he is escorted into the room where Aubrey is in Chapter 8?
3. What did Lady Denny's daughters think of Lord Damerel?
4. What does Damerel tell Venetia about his relationship with Lady Sofia in Chapter 6?
5. Why is Aubrey unhappy to see Yardley and Oswald ride up to the manor in Chapter 1?
6. What vexes Yardley at the end of Chapter 1?
7. Why is Damerel glad about Aubrey's injury? In what manner does he write to contact Venetia about it and why?
8. How does Oswald view Damerel's return?
9. Describe Venetia's younger brother, Aubrey.
10. What does Yardley warn Venetia of when news of Lord Damerel's return spreads?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a character foil? Who are the character foils in "Venetia"? Why are these characters examples of character foils? How do they influence the other characters and the plot? Make sure you define character foil and give specific examples of each character's influence on others and the plot by using quotes to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of marriage in the novel "Venetia." Why is marriage so important to the characters of the novel? How is marriage portrayed in the novel? How is marriage a hurdle for Venetia? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Venetia." Who are the members of Venetia's family? Does Venetia have good relationships with her family? Discuss the relationship between Venetia and her brother, Aubrey. How does Venetia's family help and/or hinder her relationship with Damerel. Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)