|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times in her life has Venetia met Damerel?
2. How does Yardley speak to Venetia in in Chapter 3?
3. What does Venetia get tangled in during Chapter 2?
4. What is Mrs. Priddy's opinion of Damerel in Chapter 7?
5. In what manner do Damerel and Venetia speak to each other in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Venetia's younger brother, Aubrey.
2. What does Damerel announce at the end of Chapter 2?
3. What is Venetia's relationship with Lady Denny?
4. How does Venetia feel about her deceased father?
5. What vexes Yardley at the end of Chapter 1?
6. What does Yardley fuss over Aubrey for in Chapter 5?
7. How does Damerel earn Aubrey's good opinion?
8. Before meeting him, what does Yardley decide he must let Damerel know? What ruins his intention?
9. What does Venetia plan to do with her inheritance? Why does she stay at her brother's estate?
10. What does Damerel tell Venetia about his relationship with Lady Sofia in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret Heyer's use of irony in the novel "Venetia." What are the three types of irony? What are some examples of irony in the novel? Why might Heyer have chosen to use irony when she does? Quote the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. What happens at the end of the novel? Is it expected? Are you satisfied with the ending? Are there any unanswered questions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the social rules and manners that the characters must abide by during this time period. How do these social rules affect the plot and characters of the novel? How do they create barriers in Venetia's and Damerel's relationship? Use two sources in addition to the novel to help support your statements.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)