|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Venetia and Damerel talk about in the garden in Chapter 6?
2. After speaking to Aubrey in Chapter 5, where does Venetia excuse herself to go?
3. In Chapter 2, what are society ladies said not to have done?
4. How long does Aubrey stay at the Priory?
5. Why does Venetia's elder brother leave home frequently?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Venetia hesitate to go looking for Aubrey when he doesn't return home in Chapter 4?
2. How does Damerel earn Aubrey's good opinion?
3. What does Oswald decide when he is escorted into the room where Aubrey is in Chapter 8?
4. What vexes Yardley at the end of Chapter 1?
5. What is Venetia's relationship with Lady Denny?
6. What alerts Damerel to the fact that Venetia is not just a village maid?
7. What does Yardley warn Venetia of when news of Lord Damerel's return spreads?
8. What does Venetia tell Damerel he is the first to perceive in Chapter 7?
9. What did Lady Denny's daughters think of Lord Damerel?
10. What does Oswald see when he enters the barn at Undershaw?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the dialogue used in the novel "Venetia." What are some terms or phrases that are not used today, but would have been used during the early 19th century? How do the characters speak to one another? How does the dialogue show the social classes of the characters? Strengthen your position by using quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Venetia." Who are the members of Venetia's family? Does Venetia have good relationships with her family? Discuss the relationship between Venetia and her brother, Aubrey. How does Venetia's family help and/or hinder her relationship with Damerel. Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. What happens at the end of the novel? Is it expected? Are you satisfied with the ending? Are there any unanswered questions?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)