|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On their first meeting, what does Yardley decide Damerel must know?
2. What does Damerel announce at the end of Chapter 2?
3. Why is Yardley threatened by Damerel?
4. What does Venetia do before going to pick fruit?
5. In Chapter 2, what are society ladies said not to have done?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mrs. Priddy once tell Venetia about her mother?
2. What does Venetia plan to do with her inheritance? Why does she stay at her brother's estate?
3. What does Venetia think Damerel means when he says he would not have kissed her had she been with an attendant?
4. How does Venetia feel about her deceased father?
5. What dismays Lady Denny in Chapter 3?
6. What alerts Damerel to the fact that Venetia is not just a village maid?
7. What is Venetia's relationship with Lady Denny?
8. What does Oswald decide when he is escorted into the room where Aubrey is in Chapter 8?
9. Why is Venetia happy when she wakes in Chapter 5?
10. What does Damerel announce at the end of Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the examples of love and romance in the novel "Venetia." What are some examples? Is Venetia a romantic character? Why or why not? Is Damerel a romantic character? How does Heyer infuse romance into the plot? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. What happens at the end of the novel? Is it expected? Are you satisfied with the ending? Are there any unanswered questions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dialogue used in the novel "Venetia." What are some terms or phrases that are not used today, but would have been used during the early 19th century? How do the characters speak to one another? How does the dialogue show the social classes of the characters? Strengthen your position by using quotes from the book.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)