|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Yardley convinced of in Chapter 1?
2. What is Damerel's real reason for returning to his estate?
3. Why did Venetia climb a ladder?
4. Who does Venetia tell about her encounter with Lord Damerel ?
5. What reason does Venetia give for refusing to marry Oswald.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Damerel help Venetia in Chapter 2? What does he do after helping her?
2. Why is Damerel glad about Aubrey's injury? In what manner does he write to contact Venetia about it and why?
3. What does Damerel announce at the end of Chapter 2?
4. How does Oswald view Damerel's return?
5. What does Venetia do that is contrary to convention in Chapter 2?
6. What alerts Damerel to the fact that Venetia is not just a village maid?
7. Why does Venetia hesitate to go looking for Aubrey when he doesn't return home in Chapter 4?
8. What does Venetia plan to do with her inheritance? Why does she stay at her brother's estate?
9. Before meeting him, what does Yardley decide he must let Damerel know? What ruins his intention?
10. Why is Aubrey unhappy to see Yardley and Oswald ride up to the manor in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the setting affect the plot and the characters? How does Heyer create a realistic portrayal of Regency England?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. What happens at the end of the novel? Is it expected? Are you satisfied with the ending? Are there any unanswered questions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dialogue used in the novel "Venetia." What are some terms or phrases that are not used today, but would have been used during the early 19th century? How do the characters speak to one another? How does the dialogue show the social classes of the characters? Strengthen your position by using quotes from the book.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)