|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Damerel question Venetia about?
2. Who first advises Venetia not to go see her ailing brother?
3. What is the name of Aubrey's dog?
4. How does Oswald try to act around Venetia?
5. What happens to Aubrey at the end of Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Venetia's relationship with Lady Denny?
2. Why is Aubrey unhappy to see Yardley and Oswald ride up to the manor in Chapter 1?
3. What does Venetia do that is contrary to convention in Chapter 2?
4. What happens to Aubrey at the end of Chapter 3? Who helps him?
5. Why is Damerel glad about Aubrey's injury? In what manner does he write to contact Venetia about it and why?
6. What does Yardley warn Venetia of when news of Lord Damerel's return spreads?
7. What does Venetia decide to do at the beginning of Chapter 2?
8. What reasons does Venetia give Oswald for refusing to marry him?
9. How does Venetia feel about her deceased father?
10. How does Damerel help Venetia in Chapter 2? What does he do after helping her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the different social classes in Regency England? What social class is Venetia a part of? How does Heyer illustrate the social divide during this time period? How are the actions of the principle and secondary characters influenced by their social classes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Venetia and Damerel. How do they feel about one another when they first meet? How do their feelings progress as the novel progresses? What conflicts and obstacles do these characters face? How do they overcome these obstacles? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. What happens at the end of the novel? Is it expected? Are you satisfied with the ending? Are there any unanswered questions?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)