|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Damerel glad for Aubrey's injury?
2. After speaking to Aubrey in Chapter 5, where does Venetia excuse herself to go?
3. What tradition did Venetia's father deny her?
4. When does Yardley think Venetia will marry him?
5. How does Yardley speak to Venetia in in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oswald view Damerel's return?
2. What does Venetia think Damerel means when he says he would not have kissed her had she been with an attendant?
3. What does Damerel tell Venetia about his relationship with Lady Sofia in Chapter 6?
4. Why is Aubrey unhappy to see Yardley and Oswald ride up to the manor in Chapter 1?
5. What does Venetia do that is contrary to convention in Chapter 2?
6. What did Mrs. Priddy once tell Venetia about her mother?
7. What does Yardley fuss over Aubrey for in Chapter 5?
8. What dismays Lady Denny in Chapter 3?
9. Describe Venetia's younger brother, Aubrey.
10. What reasons does Venetia give Oswald for refusing to marry him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a character foil? Who are the character foils in "Venetia"? Why are these characters examples of character foils? How do they influence the other characters and the plot? Make sure you define character foil and give specific examples of each character's influence on others and the plot by using quotes to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret Heyer's use of irony in the novel "Venetia." What are the three types of irony? What are some examples of irony in the novel? Why might Heyer have chosen to use irony when she does? Quote the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Venetia and Damerel. How do they feel about one another when they first meet? How do their feelings progress as the novel progresses? What conflicts and obstacles do these characters face? How do they overcome these obstacles? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)