Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yardley tell Venetia she must stop doing in Chapter 3?
2. How does Oswald try to act around Venetia?
3. Why is Yardley threatened by Damerel?
4. Who owns the manor Venetia lives in?
5. What does Oswald decide when he visit's the Priory?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Damerel kiss Venetia in Chapter 9?
2. Describe Venetia's younger brother, Aubrey.
3. What are Aubrey and Venetia shocked to find out upon returning to Undershaw in Chapter 10?
4. What scandalous information does Lady Denny tell Venetia about Lord Damerel?
5. What kind of plan does Venetia come up with in Chapter 18?
6. What does Venetia think Damerel means when he says he would not have kissed her had she been with an attendant?
7. How does Venetia get along with Sir Lambert?
8. What does Venetia tell Damerel he is the first to perceive in Chapter 7?
9. What does Philip discuss with Damerel and Venetia in Chapter 21?
10. How does Mrs. Hendred convince Venetia to go out on the town with her and Yardley? Where do they go?
Essay Topic 1
What is a character foil? Who are the character foils in "Venetia"? Why are these characters examples of character foils? How do they influence the other characters and the plot? Make sure you define character foil and give specific examples of each character's influence on others and the plot by using quotes to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Venetia." Who are the members of Venetia's family? Does Venetia have good relationships with her family? Discuss the relationship between Venetia and her brother, Aubrey. How does Venetia's family help and/or hinder her relationship with Damerel. Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how romance novels try to satisfy their readers. What methods are used to please the readers? What elements of a romance novel are necessary to meet the expectations of the reader?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)