|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oswald talk about often?
2. How is Edward Yardley described in Chapter 1?
3. Who is Aubrey?
4. Who does Venetia think would be jealous of Damerel?
5. What does Aubrey spend most of his time doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Damerel help Venetia in Chapter 2? What does he do after helping her?
2. What alerts Damerel to the fact that Venetia is not just a village maid?
3. How do Oswald and Yardley each view Damerel in relation to Venetia?
4. What does Oswald decide when he is escorted into the room where Aubrey is in Chapter 8?
5. What vexes Yardley at the end of Chapter 1?
6. What does Venetia decide to do at the beginning of Chapter 2?
7. What is Venetia's relationship with Lady Denny?
8. What does Damerel tell Venetia about his relationship with Lady Sofia in Chapter 6?
9. What dismays Lady Denny in Chapter 3?
10. What does Venetia do that is contrary to convention in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of separation in the novel "Venetia." How does the separation between Venetia and Damerel during Venetia's trip to London affect each of them? Why does Damerel encourage Venetia to go to London and how does this make her feel? What does Venetia spend her time doing while she is away from Damerel? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss conflict in the novel "Venetia." What are the main conflicts of the novel? How do these conflicts affect the plot and characters of the novel? How do they affect the reader's enjoyment of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Venetia Lanyon. What are her strengths and weaknesses? What are her defining character traits? Make sure you define the role of the protagonist in writing and support your statements about her traits with specific examples from the novel.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)