|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yardley tell Venetia she must stop doing in Chapter 3?
2. Why does Oswald say Venetia can't understand the danger Damerel poses to her?
3. What does Venetia refuse to change her behavior just to avoid?
4. What does Yardley assume when he meets Damerel?
5. What do Venetia and Damerel talk about in the garden in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Venetia's relationship with Lady Denny?
2. What happens to Aubrey at the end of Chapter 3? Who helps him?
3. What does Venetia tell Damerel he is the first to perceive in Chapter 7?
4. What scandalous information does Lady Denny tell Venetia about Lord Damerel?
5. What does Venetia think Damerel means when he says he would not have kissed her had she been with an attendant?
6. What alerts Damerel to the fact that Venetia is not just a village maid?
7. What does Venetia decide to do at the beginning of Chapter 2?
8. Why is Venetia happy when she wakes in Chapter 5?
9. What did Mrs. Priddy once tell Venetia about her mother?
10. In Chapter 7, what does Damerel reveal is the real reason he returned to the Priory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the character Damerel. What are his defining character traits? How is he viewed in society? What obstacles does he face? How does he overcome them? How does he influence the protagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how romance novels try to satisfy their readers. What methods are used to please the readers? What elements of a romance novel are necessary to meet the expectations of the reader?
Essay Topic 3
What is a character foil? Who are the character foils in "Venetia"? Why are these characters examples of character foils? How do they influence the other characters and the plot? Make sure you define character foil and give specific examples of each character's influence on others and the plot by using quotes to support your statements.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)