|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times in her life has Venetia met Damerel?
2. Who does Venetia think would be jealous of Damerel?
3. What is Clara Denny's opinion of Yardley?
4. How does Lady Denny act toward Lord Damerel?
5. What does Yardley tell Venetia she must stop doing in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the arrival of Mrs. Scorrier affect the running of Undershaw?
2. What does Philip discuss with Damerel and Venetia in Chapter 21?
3. What does Damerel tell Venetia about his relationship with Lady Sofia in Chapter 6?
4. Why does Venetia hesitate to go looking for Aubrey when he doesn't return home in Chapter 4?
5. What alerts Damerel to the fact that Venetia is not just a village maid?
6. What conflict is Venetia burdened with in Chapter 14?
7. How does Mrs. Hendred try to meddle in Venetia's affairs?
8. What does Venetia think Damerel means when he says he would not have kissed her had she been with an attendant?
9. What do Venetia and Damerel discuss in regards to Venetia's reputation in Chapter 20?
10. How does Venetia get along with Sir Lambert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret Heyer's use of irony in the novel "Venetia." What are the three types of irony? What are some examples of irony in the novel? Why might Heyer have chosen to use irony when she does? Quote the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
What are some romance novel archetypes in the novel "Venetia"? What type of hero is Damerel? What type of heroine is Venetia? Give examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of marriage in the novel "Venetia." Why is marriage so important to the characters of the novel? How is marriage portrayed in the novel? How is marriage a hurdle for Venetia? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 1,649 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)