|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Damerel scold Aubrey for in Chapter 4?
2. Why does Venetia have some anger toward Damerel in Chapter 4?
3. What does Venetia say that shocks people?
4. What does Damerel announce at the end of Chapter 2?
5. What is Clara Denny's opinion of Yardley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yardley warn Venetia of when news of Lord Damerel's return spreads?
2. Why is Aubrey unhappy to see Yardley and Oswald ride up to the manor in Chapter 1?
3. Why does Venetia hesitate to go looking for Aubrey when he doesn't return home in Chapter 4?
4. Before meeting him, what does Yardley decide he must let Damerel know? What ruins his intention?
5. Describe Venetia's younger brother, Aubrey.
6. What does Yardley fuss over Aubrey for in Chapter 5?
7. What does Oswald see when he enters the barn at Undershaw?
8. What does Venetia plan to do with her inheritance? Why does she stay at her brother's estate?
9. What does Venetia do that is contrary to convention in Chapter 2?
10. What does Venetia think Damerel means when he says he would not have kissed her had she been with an attendant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of separation in the novel "Venetia." How does the separation between Venetia and Damerel during Venetia's trip to London affect each of them? Why does Damerel encourage Venetia to go to London and how does this make her feel? What does Venetia spend her time doing while she is away from Damerel? Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how romance novels try to satisfy their readers. What methods are used to please the readers? What elements of a romance novel are necessary to meet the expectations of the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Venetia Lanyon. What are her strengths and weaknesses? What are her defining character traits? Make sure you define the role of the protagonist in writing and support your statements about her traits with specific examples from the novel.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)