|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Damerel do after untangling Venetia?
2. What is one of the things Aubrey and Damerel discussed while Venetia was away?
3. What does Venetia note to Oswald about his father.
4. What is Yardley convinced of in Chapter 1?
5. What does Oswald talk about often?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scandalous information does Lady Denny tell Venetia about Lord Damerel?
2. How do Oswald and Yardley each view Damerel in relation to Venetia?
3. What does Oswald decide when he is escorted into the room where Aubrey is in Chapter 8?
4. What does Venetia plan to do with her inheritance? Why does she stay at her brother's estate?
5. What does Venetia think Damerel means when he says he would not have kissed her had she been with an attendant?
6. Why is Damerel glad about Aubrey's injury? In what manner does he write to contact Venetia about it and why?
7. What did Mrs. Priddy once tell Venetia about her mother?
8. In Chapter 7, what does Damerel reveal is the real reason he returned to the Priory?
9. Why does Venetia hesitate to go looking for Aubrey when he doesn't return home in Chapter 4?
10. What alerts Damerel to the fact that Venetia is not just a village maid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some romance novel archetypes in the novel "Venetia"? What type of hero is Damerel? What type of heroine is Venetia? Give examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Damerel. What are his defining character traits? How is he viewed in society? What obstacles does he face? How does he overcome them? How does he influence the protagonist?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dialogue used in the novel "Venetia." What are some terms or phrases that are not used today, but would have been used during the early 19th century? How do the characters speak to one another? How does the dialogue show the social classes of the characters? Strengthen your position by using quotes from the book.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)