|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Venetia and Damerel talk about in the garden in Chapter 6?
2. What does Yardley tell Venetia she must stop doing in Chapter 3?
3. Where does Venetia head to pick fruit in Chapter 2?
4. What does Venetia note to Oswald about his father.
5. Why is Damerel glad for Aubrey's injury?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yardley fuss over Aubrey for in Chapter 5?
2. What does Damerel tell Venetia about his relationship with Lady Sofia in Chapter 6?
3. What does Venetia think Damerel means when he says he would not have kissed her had she been with an attendant?
4. Why is Venetia happy when she wakes in Chapter 5?
5. What is Venetia's relationship with Lady Denny?
6. What does Venetia do that is contrary to convention in Chapter 2?
7. How do Oswald and Yardley each view Damerel in relation to Venetia?
8. What does Venetia tell Damerel he is the first to perceive in Chapter 7?
9. What alerts Damerel to the fact that Venetia is not just a village maid?
10. What vexes Yardley at the end of Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Venetia." Who are the members of Venetia's family? Does Venetia have good relationships with her family? Discuss the relationship between Venetia and her brother, Aubrey. How does Venetia's family help and/or hinder her relationship with Damerel. Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
What is the genre of the novel "Venetia"? Discuss this genre and some common elements of the genre. What are some other novels of this genre?
Essay Topic 3
What is a character foil? Who are the character foils in "Venetia"? Why are these characters examples of character foils? How do they influence the other characters and the plot? Make sure you define character foil and give specific examples of each character's influence on others and the plot by using quotes to support your statements.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)