|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Damerel's real reason for returning to his estate?
2. How many times in her life has Venetia met Damerel?
3. What does Yardley assume when he meets Damerel?
4. What is the name of Venetia's nurse?
5. What does Damerel announce at the end of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Damerel glad about Aubrey's injury? In what manner does he write to contact Venetia about it and why?
2. Why doesn't Damerel kiss Venetia in Chapter 9?
3. What did Mrs. Priddy once tell Venetia about her mother?
4. What scandalous information does Lady Denny tell Venetia about Lord Damerel?
5. Why does Oswald intercept Damerel on his way home in Chapter 9?
6. What does Venetia think Damerel means when he says he would not have kissed her had she been with an attendant?
7. How does Venetia feel about her deceased father?
8. What is Venetia's relationship with Lady Denny?
9. Why does Venetia's uncle visit her in Chapter 15?
10. What conflict is Venetia burdened with in Chapter 14?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social rules and manners that the characters must abide by during this time period. How do these social rules affect the plot and characters of the novel? How do they create barriers in Venetia's and Damerel's relationship? Use two sources in addition to the novel to help support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
What is a character foil? Who are the character foils in "Venetia"? Why are these characters examples of character foils? How do they influence the other characters and the plot? Make sure you define character foil and give specific examples of each character's influence on others and the plot by using quotes to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dialogue used in the novel "Venetia." What are some terms or phrases that are not used today, but would have been used during the early 19th century? How do the characters speak to one another? How does the dialogue show the social classes of the characters? Strengthen your position by using quotes from the book.
This section contains 1,574 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)