|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what are society ladies said not to have done?
2. How long does Aubrey stay at the Priory?
3. Where does Venetia head to pick fruit in Chapter 2?
4. What word describes Venetia's life so far?
5. What does Yardley tell Venetia she must stop doing in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Oswald decide when he is escorted into the room where Aubrey is in Chapter 8?
2. What is Venetia's relationship with Lady Denny?
3. How do Oswald and Yardley each view Damerel in relation to Venetia?
4. What dismays Lady Denny in Chapter 3?
5. What does Venetia tell Damerel he is the first to perceive in Chapter 7?
6. What does Venetia do that is contrary to convention in Chapter 2?
7. What alerts Damerel to the fact that Venetia is not just a village maid?
8. Why does Venetia hesitate to go looking for Aubrey when he doesn't return home in Chapter 4?
9. Why is Aubrey unhappy to see Yardley and Oswald ride up to the manor in Chapter 1?
10. What does Damerel announce at the end of Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some romance novel archetypes in the novel "Venetia"? What type of hero is Damerel? What type of heroine is Venetia? Give examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. What happens at the end of the novel? Is it expected? Are you satisfied with the ending? Are there any unanswered questions?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret Heyer's use of irony in the novel "Venetia." What are the three types of irony? What are some examples of irony in the novel? Why might Heyer have chosen to use irony when she does? Quote the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)