|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Yardley think Venetia will marry him?
2. What does Oswald tell Venetia he is fearful of?
3. Why does Venetia's elder brother leave home frequently?
4. Where does Oswald see Venetia climb a ladder?
5. What tradition did Venetia's father deny her?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what does Damerel reveal is the real reason he returned to the Priory?
2. What does Damerel tell Venetia about his relationship with Lady Sofia in Chapter 6?
3. What do Venetia and Damerel discuss in regards to Venetia's reputation in Chapter 20?
4. Why isn't Venetia enjoying her London trip?
5. What does Mrs. Hendred confess to Venetia at the end of Chapter 17 and how does Venetia react?
6. How does Venetia react when she finds out that the woman at the theater is her mother?
7. What happens to Aubrey at the end of Chapter 3? Who helps him?
8. What does Yardley fuss over Aubrey for in Chapter 5?
9. What did Mrs. Priddy once tell Venetia about her mother?
10. What does Philip discuss with Damerel and Venetia in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some romance novel archetypes in the novel "Venetia"? What type of hero is Damerel? What type of heroine is Venetia? Give examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. What happens at the end of the novel? Is it expected? Are you satisfied with the ending? Are there any unanswered questions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Venetia Lanyon. What are her strengths and weaknesses? What are her defining character traits? Make sure you define the role of the protagonist in writing and support your statements about her traits with specific examples from the novel.
This section contains 1,616 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)