|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Hendred know about Venetia's relationship with Damerel?
(a) Oswald mentioned it to her.
(b) Damerel sent a letter to Venetia.
(c) Venetia spoke his name in her sleep.
(d) Lady Denny wrote her a letter.
2. What does Venetia find that she enjoys doing in Chapter 16?
(a) Going to tea houses.
(b) Attending the opera.
(c) Dressing up in new London styles.
(d) Visiting art galleries.
3. What does Venetia tell her aunt at the end of Chapter 19?
(a) That she is already married.
(b) That her mother invited Venetia to live with her.
(c) That she is going home.
(d) That she forgave her father.
4. What does Lady Denny worry about once she realizes that Venetia loves Damerel?
(a) That they might marry.
(b) That Conway will disown her.
(c) That Venetia will lose her inheritance.
(d) That Venetia will run away to be with him.
5. What does Venetia have to figure out at the end of Chapter 17?
(a) How to apologize to Yardley.
(b) How to outsmart her aunt.
(c) How to find Conway.
(d) How to get Damerel back.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Venetia to feel depressed in Chapter 16?
2. Who is Sir Lambert?
3. What disturbs Mrs. Hendred about Venetia's conduct?
4. Who does Venetia receive a lengthy letter from in Chapter 13?
5. What does Oswald seek from Damerel when he intercepts him on the way home in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of plan does Venetia come up with in Chapter 18?
2. How does the arrival of Mrs. Scorrier affect the running of Undershaw?
3. How does Mrs. Hendred convince Venetia to go out on the town with her and Yardley? Where do they go?
4. What does Sir John and Lady Denny do after they hear that Oswald challenged Damerel to a duel?
5. What does Mrs. Hendred confess to Venetia at the end of Chapter 17 and how does Venetia react?
6. Why does Yardley finally lose interest in Venetia in Chapter 19?
7. Why doesn't Damerel kiss Venetia in Chapter 9?
8. How does Venetia react when she finds out that the woman at the theater is her mother?
9. Why does Venetia go in search of a hotel at the beginning of Chapter 19?
10. Why has Yardley come to London? What does Mrs. Hendred think of Yardley?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)