|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Scorrier try to make amends with Venetia in Chapter 14?
(a) She realizes Venetia will marry a powerful man.
(b) She doesn't want people to think she chased Venetia out of her home.
(c) She genuinely likes Venetia.
(d) She wants Venetia to return to run the estate.
2. Why is Venetia unable to sleep during her London trip in Chapter 16?
(a) There is a thunderstorm.
(b) She can't stop thinking of Damerel.
(c) Her uncle snores loudly.
(d) She is ill.
3. How does Damerel react to the news that Venetia plans to set up a house for herself?
(a) He applauds her for it.
(b) He tells her she must not.
(c) He laughs at her naivete.
(d) He offers to help her find a property.
4. What does Lady Steeple learn about Venetia that she finds horrible?
(a) That she lived in isolation.
(b) That her father is dead.
(c) That she isn't married.
(d) That she was kicked out of her home.
5. Where does Damerel take Aubrey in Chapter 10?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Damerel almost do after Oswald leaves in Chapter 9?
2. What does the striking woman that Venetia sees in Chapter 18 do to Venetia?
3. What does Venetia set out to find on the morning after she finds out about her mother?
4. Why does Venetia's uncle come to Undershaw in Chapter 15?
5. What does Sir Lambert apologize to Venetia for in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Scorrier try to make amends with Venetia in Chapter 15?
2. Why does Venetia go in search of a hotel at the beginning of Chapter 19?
3. What disagreement arises because of Aubrey's dog, Bess, in Chapter 14?
4. Why does Oswald intercept Damerel on his way home in Chapter 9?
5. Why does Venetia's uncle visit her in Chapter 15?
6. What does Mrs. Hendred confess to Venetia at the end of Chapter 17 and how does Venetia react?
7. What conflict is Venetia burdened with in Chapter 14?
8. What does Venetia talk to her mother about when she meets her for the first time?
9. How does Venetia get along with Sir Lambert?
10. How does the arrival of Mrs. Scorrier affect the running of Undershaw?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)