|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Marston?
(a) Oswald's friend.
(b) Damerel's servant.
(c) A squire.
(d) The vicar.
2. Where does Venetia go following her visit with her uncle in Chapter 15?
(a) To her room.
(b) To say goodbye to Aubrey.
(c) To buy supplies in the village.
(d) To the Priory.
3. How is Charlotte's demeanor described to the reader?
(a) As demure yet confident.
(b) As pleasant, but scared.
(c) As bold and brash.
(d) As snooty and dull.
4. What does Aubrey tell Venetia while returning home in a buggy in Chapter 10?
(a) That it would make him happy if she married Damerel.
(b) That he would be surprised if she ever got married.
(c) To take her inheritance and go to London.
(d) That she should encourage Yardley's affections.
5. What does Mrs. Hendred think about Yardley as possible husband for Venetia?
(a) She suspects he is penniless.
(b) She disapproves of his arrogance.
(c) She likes him. but doesn't think he's a good match for Venetia.
(d) She approves of and encourages him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Venetia longed to do as a little girl?
2. What does Venetia realize about Damerel's feelings in Chapter 17?
3. Why do Sir John and Lady Denny send Oswald away?
4. What does Venetia tell her aunt at the end of Chapter 19?
5. Why does Venetia's uncle come to Undershaw in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Venetia talk to her mother about when she meets her for the first time?
2. How does Venetia get along with Sir Lambert?
3. What happens while Venetia, Yardley and Mrs. Hendred attend the theater?
4. How does Mrs. Scorrier and Charlotte react to a visit from Damerel in Chapter 12?
5. What disagreement arises because of Aubrey's dog, Bess, in Chapter 14?
6. Why does Venetia go in search of a hotel at the beginning of Chapter 19?
7. What conflict is Venetia burdened with in Chapter 14?
8. Why does Mrs. Scorrier try to make amends with Venetia in Chapter 15?
9. Why does Venetia need to find a new place for Aubrey? What solution does she find?
10. What does Sir John and Lady Denny do after they hear that Oswald challenged Damerel to a duel?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)