|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Scorrier?
(a) Damerel's aunt.
(b) Conway's wife's nurse.
(c) Conway's mother-in-law.
(d) Undershaw's new housekeeper.
2. How does Mrs. Hendred react when she sees the striking woman in Chapter 18?
(a) She gasps.
(b) She becomes upset.
(c) She laughs.
(d) She gets excited.
3. Why did Conway send Mrs. Scorrier to Undershaw?
(a) She was causing trouble for him at his post.
(b) She can't bear to be apart from her daughter.
(c) She lost her own home due to debt.
(d) She wants to run his estate.
4. How does Damerel react to the news that Venetia plans to set up a house for herself?
(a) He applauds her for it.
(b) He offers to help her find a property.
(c) He tells her she must not.
(d) He laughs at her naivete.
5. How does Venetia react to Mrs. Scorrier's attempt to make amends?
(a) She hugs Mrs. Scorrier.
(b) She makes short replies.
(c) She smiles sweetly.
(d) She rolls her eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Venetia unable to sleep during her London trip in Chapter 16?
2. Who do Venetia and Sir Lambert encounter on the walk home in Chapter 19?
3. What causes Venetia to feel depressed in Chapter 16?
4. What does Oswald complain to Damerel about in Chapter 9?
5. What is Mrs. Hendred constantly worrying about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn't Venetia enjoying her London trip?
2. What are Aubrey and Venetia shocked to find out upon returning to Undershaw in Chapter 10?
3. How does Mrs. Scorrier and Charlotte react to a visit from Damerel in Chapter 12?
4. What does Venetia talk to her mother about when she meets her for the first time?
5. What does Mrs. Hendred confess to Venetia at the end of Chapter 17 and how does Venetia react?
6. How does Venetia get along with Sir Lambert?
7. What happens while Venetia, Yardley and Mrs. Hendred attend the theater?
8. What does Sir John and Lady Denny do after they hear that Oswald challenged Damerel to a duel?
9. Why has Yardley come to London? What does Mrs. Hendred think of Yardley?
10. Why does Yardley finally lose interest in Venetia in Chapter 19?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)