|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Scorrier stop interfering in Aubrey's affairs after awhile?
(a) Venetia says Conway would want Venetia herself to handle Aubrey's affairs.
(b) Mrs. Scorrier can see Aubrey doesn't need her opinions.
(c) Charlotte threatens to send Mrs. Scorrier away if she doesn't stop.
(d) Aubrey threatens Mrs. Scorrier angrily.
2. Why is Venetia unable to sleep during her London trip in Chapter 16?
(a) She can't stop thinking of Damerel.
(b) Her uncle snores loudly.
(c) There is a thunderstorm.
(d) She is ill.
3. What does Venetia realize about Damerel's feelings in Chapter 17?
(a) That he is still in love with Lady Sophia.
(b) That he gave her up for the sake of a scruple.
(c) That she mistook his proposal as teasing.
(d) That he was never interested in her romantically.
4. What do the dog that angers Mrs. Scorrier and Charlotte have in common?
(a) They are both named after royalty.
(b) They are both blue-eyed.
(c) They are both pregnant.
(d) They both like to eat carrots.
5. Who is Marston?
(a) A squire.
(b) The vicar.
(c) Oswald's friend.
(d) Damerel's servant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oswald complain to Damerel about in Chapter 9?
2. Who does Venetia receive a lengthy letter from in Chapter 13?
3. Why does Aubrey's dog begin to bark in Chapter 14?
4. What is the name of Aubrey's dog that scares Charlotte in Chapter 14?
5. What does Venetia set out to find on the morning after she finds out about her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the arrival of Mrs. Scorrier affect the running of Undershaw?
2. What are Aubrey and Venetia shocked to find out upon returning to Undershaw in Chapter 10?
3. How does Mrs. Hendred convince Venetia to go out on the town with her and Yardley? Where do they go?
4. What conflict is Venetia burdened with in Chapter 14?
5. Why does Mrs. Scorrier try to make amends with Venetia in Chapter 15?
6. What does Mrs. Hendred confess to Venetia at the end of Chapter 17 and how does Venetia react?
7. Why does Venetia's uncle visit her in Chapter 15?
8. What kind of plan does Venetia come up with in Chapter 18?
9. What happens while Venetia, Yardley and Mrs. Hendred attend the theater?
10. How does Mrs. Hendred try to meddle in Venetia's affairs?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)