|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lady Steeple breakdown in front of Venetia in Chapter 19?
(a) She is saddened to hear her favorite dog died.
(b) She is upset that she is old enough to have a grown-up daughter.
(c) She feels guilty for abandoning her children.
(d) She is sad her past is affecting Venetia's marriage prospects.
2. Why did Conway send Mrs. Scorrier to Undershaw?
(a) She can't bear to be apart from her daughter.
(b) She was causing trouble for him at his post.
(c) She wants to run his estate.
(d) She lost her own home due to debt.
3. Who is the striking woman who Venetia saw in Chapter 18?
(a) Venetia's mother.
(b) A duchess.
(c) Damerel's former lover.
(d) A famous actress.
4. What does Philip inform Mrs. Scorrier of in Chapter 15?
(a) That a portion of the estate land is to be sold.
(b) That Conway has a gambling problem.
(c) That Charlotte has no legal rights at Undershaw.
(d) That the family fortune is gone.
5. What does Lady Steeple learn about Venetia that she finds horrible?
(a) That she lived in isolation.
(b) That her father is dead.
(c) That she isn't married.
(d) That she was kicked out of her home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Venetia try to come up with a plan to do in Chapter 18?
2. Where does Mrs. Scorrier wish to have all of Aubrey's dogs kept?
3. How is Sir Lambert described?
4. Why does Mrs. Priddy dote on Charlotte?
5. What do the servants do when Mrs. Scorrier asks them to do anything?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Venetia go in search of a hotel at the beginning of Chapter 19?
2. What disagreement arises because of Aubrey's dog, Bess, in Chapter 14?
3. How does Venetia react when she finds out that the woman at the theater is her mother?
4. How does Mrs. Hendred convince Venetia to go out on the town with her and Yardley? Where do they go?
5. Why does Venetia's uncle visit her in Chapter 15?
6. What happens while Venetia, Yardley and Mrs. Hendred attend the theater?
7. Why doesn't Damerel kiss Venetia in Chapter 9?
8. What conflict is Venetia burdened with in Chapter 14?
9. What does Sir John and Lady Denny do after they hear that Oswald challenged Damerel to a duel?
10. Why isn't Venetia enjoying her London trip?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)