|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Damerel win Aubrey's good opinion?
(a) By speaking well of Venetia.
(b) By treating him like a normal boy.
(c) By saying he respected Aubrey's father.
(d) By offering Aubrey free use of his library.
2. Why is Venetia worried that something is wrong with Aubrey at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) He did not come home for lunch.
(b) His dog returns alone.
(c) He said he would be back in ten minutes.
(d) His horse can be seen wandering on a ridge.
3. After speaking to Aubrey in Chapter 5, where does Venetia excuse herself to go?
(a) Into the garden.
(b) To the lavatory.
(c) The dining room.
(d) Back home.
4. What is Yardley convinced of in Chapter 1?
(a) That he can get Venetia to marry his son.
(b) That he will acquire Venetia's family home.
(c) That Oswald is stealing from Venetia's family.
(d) That Venetia will marry him.
5. What does Venetia say that shocks people?
(a) That her mother is alive.
(b) That she doesn't miss her father.
(c) That she caused her father's death.
(d) That her father haunts the family house.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Venetia feel when she awakes in Chapter 5?
2. What does Damerel announce at the end of Chapter 2?
3. What makes Oswald self-conscious around Yardley?
4. What is one of the things Aubrey and Damerel discussed while Venetia was away?
5. Who is with Damerel when they encounter Aubrey at the end of Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What alerts Damerel to the fact that Venetia is not just a village maid?
2. What vexes Yardley at the end of Chapter 1?
3. What does Venetia do that is contrary to convention in Chapter 2?
4. What does Venetia plan to do with her inheritance? Why does she stay at her brother's estate?
5. What did Mrs. Priddy once tell Venetia about her mother?
6. How does Venetia feel about her deceased father?
7. What does Venetia decide to do at the beginning of Chapter 2?
8. What is Venetia's relationship with Lady Denny?
9. What reasons does Venetia give Oswald for refusing to marry him?
10. Why is Aubrey unhappy to see Yardley and Oswald ride up to the manor in Chapter 1?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)