|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Yardley threatened by Damerel?
(a) He worries Damerel will buy the Undershaw Estate.
(b) He worries Damerel will attack Aubrey.
(c) He worries there will be gossip about Damerel and Venetia.
(d) He worries Damerel will steal Venetia's heart.
2. What does Venetia note to Oswald about his father.
(a) That he told her to refuse Oswald's proposals.
(b) That he has someone else he wants Oswald to marry.
(c) That he will probably leave Oswald penniless.
(d) That his father is deeply in debt to her family.
3. In Chapter 2, what are society ladies said not to have done?
(a) Picked fruit.
(b) Gone out without an attendant.
(c) Dressed in unfashionable clothes.
(d) Spoken to strange men.
4. Who first advises Venetia not to go see her ailing brother?
(b) Mrs. Priddy.
(d) Mrs. Denny.
5. What is Mrs. Priddy's opinion of Damerel in Chapter 7?
(a) She is distrustful of Damerel.
(b) She is indifferent toward Damerel.
(c) She thinks Damerel is a soundrel.
(d) She holds Damerel in high regard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of dog does Aubrey have?
2. After speaking to Aubrey in Chapter 5, where does Venetia excuse herself to go?
3. Who is Sophie Rendlesham?
4. Why does Venetia's elder brother leave home frequently?
5. Who owns the manor Venetia lives in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Oswald and Yardley each view Damerel in relation to Venetia?
2. What does Venetia do that is contrary to convention in Chapter 2?
3. What does Venetia plan to do with her inheritance? Why does she stay at her brother's estate?
4. What did Lady Denny's daughters think of Lord Damerel?
5. What does Damerel tell Venetia about his relationship with Lady Sofia in Chapter 6?
6. Why is Venetia happy when she wakes in Chapter 5?
7. What happens to Aubrey at the end of Chapter 3? Who helps him?
8. How does Damerel earn Aubrey's good opinion?
9. Why is Aubrey unhappy to see Yardley and Oswald ride up to the manor in Chapter 1?
10. What is Venetia's relationship with Lady Denny?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)