|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Venetia and Damerel talk about in the garden in Chapter 6?
(a) Their fathers.
(b) Aubrey's travels.
(c) Life in the village.
2. What tradition did Venetia's father deny her?
(a) A London coming out.
(b) An education.
(c) A baptism.
(d) Birthday parties.
3. What is big news in town in Chapter 3?
(a) The summer festival.
(b) The hot weather.
(c) The vicar's death.
(d) Lord Damerel's return.
4. How does Damerel get Yardley to leave the Priory?
(a) He implies that Venetia will be leaving.
(b) He offers him lunch.
(c) He asks him to go.
(d) He asks him to fetch medicine from the village.
5. What does Venetia escape at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) Having to visit with Yardley.
(b) The complaints of her staff.
(c) Her stuffy bedroom.
(d) A boring conversation with Aubrey.
6. What does Yardley refer to as of "particular delicacy."
(a) Muscle injuries.
(b) Aubrey's emotional state.
(c) Venetia's social standing.
(d) The public opinion for Damerel.
7. What is one of the things Aubrey and Damerel discussed while Venetia was away?
(a) Damerel's last love affair.
(b) The latest operas in London.
(c) Aubrey's father's hunting skills.
(d) Mrs. Priddy's dislike for Damerel.
8. Why is Damerel glad for Aubrey's injury?
(a) It gives him an excuse to contact Venetia.
(b) He hopes it will cause Aubrey to become more cautious.
(c) He dislikes Aubrey.
(d) It gives him a chance to test out his homemade remedies.
9. In what manner is Damerel's letter to Venetia written?
(a) In code.
(d) In rhyme.
10. What does Aubrey spend most of his time doing?
11. What does Damerel question Venetia about?
(a) Her manner of dress.
(b) Her family.
(c) Picking fruit on his property.
(d) Her lack of an attendant.
12. Why does Oswald say Venetia can't understand the danger Damerel poses to her?
(a) She is too young.
(b) She is a woman.
(c) She is too stupid.
(d) She is too innocent.
13. Why does Venetia stop going to the Priory in Chapter 8?
(a) Bad weather moves in.
(b) Mrs. Denny advises against it.
(c) She and Damerel have a disagreement.
(d) Aubrey returns home.
14. In Chapter 2, what are society ladies said not to have done?
(a) Gone out without an attendant.
(b) Spoken to strange men.
(c) Dressed in unfashionable clothes.
(d) Picked fruit.
15. What does Venetia say that shocks people?
(a) That her father haunts the family house.
(b) That she caused her father's death.
(c) That she doesn't miss her father.
(d) That her mother is alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Venetia tell about her encounter with Lord Damerel ?
2. On their first meeting, what does Yardley decide Damerel must know?
3. What does Venetia intend to do with her inheritance?
4. Who does Venetia think would be jealous of Damerel?
5. How does Damerel react to Yardley's annoying and offensive comments?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)