|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Aubrey at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) He gets lost in the woods.
(b) He falls from a horse.
(c) He falls down some stairs.
(d) He develops a high fever.
2. What is the name of Venetia's nurse?
(a) Mrs. Putney.
(b) Mrs. Penny.
(c) Mrs. Portly.
(d) Mrs. Priddy.
3. What does Venetia say that shocks people?
(a) That she doesn't miss her father.
(b) That her father haunts the family house.
(c) That her mother is alive.
(d) That she caused her father's death.
4. What does Venetia intend to do with her inheritance?
(a) Donate it to charity.
(b) Set up her own house.
(d) Open a shop in London.
5. What word did Venetia use to describe Yardley to Damerel?
6. What does Damerel scold Aubrey for in Chapter 4?
(a) Not using good judgment.
(b) Riding a horse.
(c) Trespassing on his estate.
(d) Going out in bad weather.
7. How does Venetia feel when she awakes in Chapter 5?
8. Where does Oswald see Venetia climb a ladder?
(a) To the attic.
(b) In the library.
(c) Up a tree.
(d) In the barn.
9. How does Damerel win Aubrey's good opinion?
(a) By speaking well of Venetia.
(b) By treating him like a normal boy.
(c) By offering Aubrey free use of his library.
(d) By saying he respected Aubrey's father.
10. Why is Yardley threatened by Damerel?
(a) He worries Damerel will buy the Undershaw Estate.
(b) He worries Damerel will attack Aubrey.
(c) He worries Damerel will steal Venetia's heart.
(d) He worries there will be gossip about Damerel and Venetia.
11. What makes Oswald self-conscious around Yardley?
(a) Yardley's fashion sense.
(b) Yardley's flirtatiousness.
(c) Yardley's frankness.
(d) Yardley's confidence.
12. Who does NOT worry about the propriety of Venetia's visits to the Priory in Chapter 7?
(d) Lady Denny.
13. How does Yardley speak to Venetia in in Chapter 3?
(a) As though he's speaking to a child.
(b) As though she cannot hear.
(c) As though she can't understand English.
(d) Like an army commander.
14. Who does Venetia tell about her encounter with Lord Damerel ?
(a) Mrs. Priddy.
(c) No one.
15. How old is Venetia at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Nineteen years old.
(b) Twenty-five years old.
(c) Twenty-one years old.
(d) Twenty-eight years old
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Edward Yardley described in Chapter 1?
2. What does Venetia intend to make with what she picks in Chapter 2?
3. What is the name of Aubrey's dog?
4. What does Oswald hear as he wanders around Undershaw?
5. What tradition did Venetia's father deny her?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)