|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Damerel get Yardley to leave the Priory?
(a) He offers him lunch.
(b) He asks him to fetch medicine from the village.
(c) He asks him to go.
(d) He implies that Venetia will be leaving.
2. How does Yardley speak to Venetia in in Chapter 3?
(a) As though she can't understand English.
(b) Like an army commander.
(c) As though she cannot hear.
(d) As though he's speaking to a child.
3. What does Oswald decide when he visit's the Priory?
(a) That his mother should counsel Venetia about propriety.
(b) Damerel, Venetia and Aubrey are too comfortable together.
(c) He should work with Yardley to get rid of Damerel.
(d) His chances are good for winning Venetia's heart.
4. How does Damerel react to Yardley's annoying and offensive comments?
(a) With irritation.
(b) With good manners.
(c) With sarcastic replies.
(d) With shock.
5. What did Lady Denny's daughter's think of Lord Damerel?
(a) He was ugly.
(b) He was dull.
(c) He was dashing.
(d) He was charming.
6. What does Aubrey value which Venetia doesn't want to trespass on in Chapter 4?
(a) His exercise.
(c) His religious beliefs.
(d) His independence.
7. Why does Venetia stop going to the Priory in Chapter 8?
(a) Mrs. Denny advises against it.
(b) Bad weather moves in.
(c) Aubrey returns home.
(d) She and Damerel have a disagreement.
8. What is the name of Venetia's family estate?
9. What is one of the things Aubrey and Damerel discussed while Venetia was away?
(a) The latest operas in London.
(b) Aubrey's father's hunting skills.
(c) Damerel's last love affair.
(d) Mrs. Priddy's dislike for Damerel.
10. What does Damerel tell Venetia about Lady Sophie in Chapter 6?
(a) That Lady Sophia is dead.
(b) That Lady Sophia is Venetia's cousin.
(c) That he and Lady Sophia have a daughter.
(d) That Lady Sophia jilted him.
11. What does Damerel question Venetia about?
(a) Picking fruit on his property.
(b) Her manner of dress.
(c) Her lack of an attendant.
(d) Her family.
12. What does Oswald hear as he wanders around Undershaw?
(a) Damerel shouting.
(b) Venetia's laugh.
(d) Hunting calls.
13. What makes Oswald self-conscious around Yardley?
(a) Yardley's confidence.
(b) Yardley's fashion sense.
(c) Yardley's frankness.
(d) Yardley's flirtatiousness.
14. Who does Venetia think would be jealous of Damerel?
(c) Her father.
15. How did Lord Damerel offend Lady Denny's daughters?
(a) By scolding them.
(b) By suggesting they were old maids.
(c) By calling them children.
(d) By not speaking to them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Yardley upsets Aubrey in Chapter 6?
2. On their first meeting, what does Yardley decide Damerel must know?
3. Why did Venetia climb a ladder?
4. What is big news in town in Chapter 3?
5. Why does Venetia have some anger toward Damerel in Chapter 4?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)