|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is with Damerel when they encounter Aubrey at the end of Chapter 3?
2. How does Damerel get Yardley to leave the Priory?
(a) He offers him lunch.
(b) He implies that Venetia will be leaving.
(c) He asks him to go.
(d) He asks him to fetch medicine from the village.
3. How did Lord Damerel offend Lady Denny's daughters?
(a) By suggesting they were old maids.
(b) By calling them children.
(c) By not speaking to them.
(d) By scolding them.
4. What do Venetia and Damerel talk about in the garden in Chapter 6?
(a) Aubrey's travels.
(c) Their fathers.
(d) Life in the village.
5. Who first advises Venetia not to go see her ailing brother?
(a) Mrs. Priddy.
(b) Mrs. Denny.
6. What is one of the things Aubrey and Damerel discussed while Venetia was away?
(a) Mrs. Priddy's dislike for Damerel.
(b) Aubrey's father's hunting skills.
(c) Damerel's last love affair.
(d) The latest operas in London.
7. What is big news in town in Chapter 3?
(a) The hot weather.
(b) Lord Damerel's return.
(c) The summer festival.
(d) The vicar's death.
8. What does Venetia say that shocks people?
(a) That she doesn't miss her father.
(b) That she caused her father's death.
(c) That her father haunts the family house.
(d) That her mother is alive.
9. Where does Venetia head to pick fruit in Chapter 2?
(a) The riverbank.
(b) A cemetery.
(c) The Priory.
(d) Just outside the village.
10. What does Venetia do before going to pick fruit?
(a) Changes her clothes.
(b) Brushes her hair.
(c) Invites her nurse along.
(d) Packs a snack.
11. What tradition did Venetia's father deny her?
(a) A baptism.
(b) Birthday parties.
(c) A London coming out.
(d) An education.
12. What does Yardley tell Venetia she must stop doing in Chapter 3?
(a) Inviting Oswald over.
(b) Expecting Conway to return.
(c) Wandering without a chaperone.
(d) Wearing men's clothes.
13. What does Venetia note to Oswald about his father.
(a) That he told her to refuse Oswald's proposals.
(b) That he will probably leave Oswald penniless.
(c) That his father is deeply in debt to her family.
(d) That he has someone else he wants Oswald to marry.
14. In Chapter 8, what does Oswald tell Venetia he almost did?
(a) Hit Damerel in the face.
(b) Had Damerel arrested.
(c) Hugged Damerel.
(d) Kicked Damerel.
15. What is Clara Denny's opinion of Yardley?
(a) She thinks he is strange and disturbed.
(b) She thinks he is pushy and rude.
(c) She thinks he is handsome, but dimwitted.
(d) She thinks he is clever and funny.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what manner is Damerel's letter to Venetia written?
2. What is Mrs. Priddy's opinion of Damerel in Chapter 7?
3. Who does Venetia tell about her encounter with Lord Damerel ?
4. Why is Damerel glad for Aubrey's injury?
5. In what manner do Damerel and Venetia speak to each other in Chapter 2?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)