|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Yardley threatened by Damerel?
(a) He worries Damerel will buy the Undershaw Estate.
(b) He worries Damerel will steal Venetia's heart.
(c) He worries there will be gossip about Damerel and Venetia.
(d) He worries Damerel will attack Aubrey.
2. What is Clara Denny's opinion of Yardley?
(a) She thinks he is clever and funny.
(b) She thinks he is strange and disturbed.
(c) She thinks he is handsome, but dimwitted.
(d) She thinks he is pushy and rude.
3. How does Venetia react when Oswald offers to protect her from Damerel ?
(a) She is touched.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She cries with relief.
(d) She gets angry.
4. What word describes Venetia's life so far?
5. Whom does Oswald dislike?
(b) The aristocracy.
(d) Crippled people.
6. How long does Aubrey stay at the Priory?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Five days.
(d) Eight days.
7. What did Mrs. Priddy once tell Venetia about her mother?
(a) That she had a skill for painting.
(b) That she had a lovely singing voice.
(c) That she was smart.
(d) That she was pretty.
8. What is the name of Aubrey's dog?
9. How old is Venetia at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Twenty-one years old.
(b) Twenty-five years old.
(c) Twenty-eight years old
(d) Nineteen years old.
10. What about Yardley upsets Aubrey in Chapter 6?
(a) That he takes a drink without being offered one.
(b) That he doubts Aubrey's intelligence.
(c) That he speaks to Venetia rudely.
(d) That he assumes authority when he has none.
11. What is Lady Denny's husband's name?
(a) Sir Samuel.
(b) Sir Charles.
(c) Sir David.
(d) Sir John.
12. What kind of dog does Aubrey have?
(a) A Spaniel.
(b) A Boxer.
(c) A Beagle.
(d) A Terrier.
13. Why is Venetia worried that something is wrong with Aubrey at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) His horse can be seen wandering on a ridge.
(b) His dog returns alone.
(c) He did not come home for lunch.
(d) He said he would be back in ten minutes.
14. Why does Oswald say Venetia can't understand the danger Damerel poses to her?
(a) She is too stupid.
(b) She is a woman.
(c) She is too young.
(d) She is too innocent.
15. In what manner is Damerel's letter to Venetia written?
(b) In code.
(c) In rhyme.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Oswald self-conscious around Yardley?
2. What does Venetia decide to pick in Chapter 2?
3. What does Oswald talk about often?
4. What does Yardley refer to as of "particular delicacy."
5. What is Damerel's real reason for returning to his estate?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)