|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Venetia stop going to the Priory in Chapter 8?
(a) Mrs. Denny advises against it.
(b) She and Damerel have a disagreement.
(c) Bad weather moves in.
(d) Aubrey returns home.
2. What does Lady Denny hold against Damerel?
(a) His treatment of Sophie.
(b) His lack of a sense of humor.
(c) His flirting with her daughters.
(d) His neglect of his estate.
3. How does Oswald view Damerel in Chapter 8?
(a) As a friend.
(b) As a romantic rival.
(c) As a threat to Venetia's innocence.
(d) As a sporting rival.
4. In Chapter 2, what are society ladies said not to have done?
(a) Gone out without an attendant.
(b) Dressed in unfashionable clothes.
(c) Spoken to strange men.
(d) Picked fruit.
5. In what manner do Damerel and Venetia speak to each other in Chapter 2?
(a) Using lyrics from songs.
(b) In French.
(c) In rhymes.
(d) Using famous quotes.
6. How does Oswald try to act around Venetia?
7. Who first advises Venetia not to go see her ailing brother?
(a) Mrs. Priddy.
(b) Mrs. Denny.
8. What does Damerel announce at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) He will soon leave his estate again.
(b) He never wants to see Venetia again.
(c) He saw Conway in the village.
(d) He will stay longer than planned.
9. How did Lord Damerel offend Lady Denny's daughters?
(a) By not speaking to them.
(b) By scolding them.
(c) By calling them children.
(d) By suggesting they were old maids.
10. What does Venetia intend to do with her inheritance?
(b) Open a shop in London.
(c) Donate it to charity.
(d) Set up her own house.
11. Who does NOT worry about the propriety of Venetia's visits to the Priory in Chapter 7?
(d) Lady Denny.
12. After speaking to Aubrey in Chapter 5, where does Venetia excuse herself to go?
(a) Into the garden.
(b) To the lavatory.
(c) The dining room.
(d) Back home.
13. How does Yardley speak to Venetia in in Chapter 3?
(a) Like an army commander.
(b) As though he's speaking to a child.
(c) As though she cannot hear.
(d) As though she can't understand English.
14. Why does Venetia have some anger toward Damerel in Chapter 4?
(a) For his behavior toward Mrs. Denny.
(b) He gossiped about her in the village.
(c) He insulted her.
(d) He hasn't tried to contact her.
15. What does Venetia say that shocks people?
(a) That her father haunts the family house.
(b) That she caused her father's death.
(c) That she doesn't miss her father.
(d) That her mother is alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Damerel glad for Aubrey's injury?
2. What does Oswald tell Venetia he is fearful of?
3. What kind of dog does Aubrey have?
4. What does Venetia bring with her to the Priory in Chapter 5?
5. What does Venetia intend to make with what she picks in Chapter 2?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)