|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Venetia give for refusing to marry Oswald.
(a) She doesn't want to move abroad.
(b) She is in love with someone else.
(c) He is too young.
(d) He is too headstrung.
2. What does Venetia notice about Damerel?
(a) He is disfigured.
(b) He is handsome.
(c) He is old.
(d) He is sickly.
3. What does Venetia note to Oswald about his father.
(a) That he will probably leave Oswald penniless.
(b) That he has someone else he wants Oswald to marry.
(c) That his father is deeply in debt to her family.
(d) That he told her to refuse Oswald's proposals.
4. What does Damerel tell Venetia about Lady Sophie in Chapter 6?
(a) That Lady Sophia jilted him.
(b) That Lady Sophia is dead.
(c) That Lady Sophia is Venetia's cousin.
(d) That he and Lady Sophia have a daughter.
5. In what manner is Damerel's letter to Venetia written?
(a) In code.
(c) In rhyme.
6. What word did Venetia use to describe Yardley to Damerel?
7. How does Oswald try to act around Venetia?
8. What does Yardley assume when he meets Damerel?
(a) That Yardley is Mrs. Priddy's son.
(b) That Yardley is a friend to Aubrey.
(c) That Yardley was a friend of Venetia's father.
(d) That Yardley is there to cause trouble.
9. What is Mrs. Priddy's opinion of Damerel in Chapter 7?
(a) She holds Damerel in high regard.
(b) She is indifferent toward Damerel.
(c) She thinks Damerel is a soundrel.
(d) She is distrustful of Damerel.
10. Who is with Damerel when they encounter Aubrey at the end of Chapter 3?
11. What does Venetia say that shocks people?
(a) That she caused her father's death.
(b) That her mother is alive.
(c) That she doesn't miss her father.
(d) That her father haunts the family house.
12. How does Venetia react when Oswald offers to protect her from Damerel ?
(a) She is touched.
(b) She cries with relief.
(c) She laughs.
(d) She gets angry.
13. What does Venetia note she has for the first time in her life in Chapter 5?
(a) An enemy.
(b) A friend.
(c) A beau.
(d) A rival.
14. What does Oswald talk about often?
(a) The places he has been.
(c) Changes he will make to his father's estate.
(d) Medical studies.
15. What happens to Aubrey at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) He falls down some stairs.
(b) He falls from a horse.
(c) He develops a high fever.
(d) He gets lost in the woods.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Venetia feel when she awakes in Chapter 5?
2. Why does Venetia have some anger toward Damerel in Chapter 4?
3. Who serves as an adviser to Venetia?
4. What does Venetia refuse to change her behavior just to avoid?
5. Who does NOT worry about the propriety of Venetia's visits to the Priory in Chapter 7?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)