|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yardley tell Venetia she must stop doing in Chapter 3?
(a) Expecting Conway to return.
(b) Inviting Oswald over.
(c) Wearing men's clothes.
(d) Wandering without a chaperone.
2. What does Venetia decide to pick in Chapter 2?
3. Why does Venetia stop going to the Priory in Chapter 8?
(a) Aubrey returns home.
(b) Mrs. Denny advises against it.
(c) Bad weather moves in.
(d) She and Damerel have a disagreement.
4. Why is Venetia worried that something is wrong with Aubrey at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) He said he would be back in ten minutes.
(b) His dog returns alone.
(c) He did not come home for lunch.
(d) His horse can be seen wandering on a ridge.
5. Who does Venetia tell about her encounter with Lord Damerel ?
(b) Mrs. Priddy.
(c) No one.
6. What do Venetia and Damerel talk about in the garden in Chapter 6?
(a) Their fathers.
(c) Aubrey's travels.
(d) Life in the village.
7. What does Damerel do after untangling Venetia?
(a) Offers her his horse.
(b) Orders her home.
(c) Kisses her.
(d) Scolds her.
8. What happens to Aubrey at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) He falls down some stairs.
(b) He gets lost in the woods.
(c) He falls from a horse.
(d) He develops a high fever.
9. What does Venetia notice about Damerel?
(a) He is old.
(b) He is handsome.
(c) He is sickly.
(d) He is disfigured.
10. What does Yardley assume when he meets Damerel?
(a) That Yardley was a friend of Venetia's father.
(b) That Yardley is there to cause trouble.
(c) That Yardley is a friend to Aubrey.
(d) That Yardley is Mrs. Priddy's son.
11. Who does Venetia think would be jealous of Damerel?
(a) Her father.
12. How old is Venetia at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Nineteen years old.
(b) Twenty-eight years old
(c) Twenty-one years old.
(d) Twenty-five years old.
13. What is the name of Venetia's family estate?
14. What does Venetia do before going to pick fruit?
(a) Packs a snack.
(b) Brushes her hair.
(c) Changes her clothes.
(d) Invites her nurse along.
15. Why is Yardley threatened by Damerel?
(a) He worries Damerel will steal Venetia's heart.
(b) He worries there will be gossip about Damerel and Venetia.
(c) He worries Damerel will attack Aubrey.
(d) He worries Damerel will buy the Undershaw Estate.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Oswald try to act around Venetia?
2. What is Mrs. Priddy's opinion of Damerel in Chapter 7?
3. Why does Venetia have some anger toward Damerel in Chapter 4?
4. What does Lady Denny hold against Damerel?
5. What does Venetia note to Oswald about his father.
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)