|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Oswald dislike?
(b) The aristocracy.
(d) Crippled people.
2. What does Yardley assume when he meets Damerel?
(a) That Yardley is a friend to Aubrey.
(b) That Yardley is Mrs. Priddy's son.
(c) That Yardley was a friend of Venetia's father.
(d) That Yardley is there to cause trouble.
3. What does Lady Denny's husband do to her dismay in Chapter 3?
(a) Travels to London without her.
(b) Arranges a marriage for her daughter.
(c) Refuses to host a party in their house.
(d) Invites Damerel into their home.
4. Why does Venetia's elder brother leave home frequently?
(a) He is in the military.
(b) He finds the home uncomfortable.
(c) He travels for business.
(d) He is searching for his mother.
5. What does Yardley tell Venetia she must stop doing in Chapter 3?
(a) Wandering without a chaperone.
(b) Expecting Conway to return.
(c) Wearing men's clothes.
(d) Inviting Oswald over.
6. How does Damerel get Yardley to leave the Priory?
(a) He asks him to go.
(b) He offers him lunch.
(c) He asks him to fetch medicine from the village.
(d) He implies that Venetia will be leaving.
7. Why did Venetia think Damerel returned to the Priory?
(a) To recuperate from an injury.
(b) To entertain guests.
(c) On business.
(d) So he could meet her.
8. Why is Venetia worried that something is wrong with Aubrey at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) He did not come home for lunch.
(b) His dog returns alone.
(c) He said he would be back in ten minutes.
(d) His horse can be seen wandering on a ridge.
9. In what manner is Damerel's letter to Venetia written?
(a) In rhyme.
(b) In code.
10. What does Damerel tell Venetia about Lady Sophie in Chapter 6?
(a) That Lady Sophia is dead.
(b) That Lady Sophia jilted him.
(c) That Lady Sophia is Venetia's cousin.
(d) That he and Lady Sophia have a daughter.
11. Who owns the manor Venetia lives in?
12. In what manner do Damerel and Venetia speak to each other in Chapter 2?
(a) Using famous quotes.
(b) Using lyrics from songs.
(c) In French.
(d) In rhymes.
13. What is the name of Aubrey's dog?
14. On their first meeting, what does Yardley decide Damerel must know?
(a) That Yardley will marry Venetia.
(b) That he doesn't approve of Damerel.
(c) That the villiagers want Damerel to leave.
(d) That Aubrey is emotionally unstable.
15. What does Venetia note to Oswald about his father.
(a) That his father is deeply in debt to her family.
(b) That he told her to refuse Oswald's proposals.
(c) That he has someone else he wants Oswald to marry.
(d) That he will probably leave Oswald penniless.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Damerel feel after his affair with Lady Sophia?
2. What is big news in town in Chapter 3?
3. What does Venetia note she has for the first time in her life in Chapter 5?
4. Why is Damerel glad for Aubrey's injury?
5. What is Yardley convinced of in Chapter 1?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)