|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Clara Denny's opinion of Yardley?
(a) She thinks he is strange and disturbed.
(b) She thinks he is clever and funny.
(c) She thinks he is pushy and rude.
(d) She thinks he is handsome, but dimwitted.
2. What does Yardley tell Venetia she must stop doing in Chapter 3?
(a) Expecting Conway to return.
(b) Wandering without a chaperone.
(c) Wearing men's clothes.
(d) Inviting Oswald over.
3. How does Venetia feel when she awakes in Chapter 5?
4. In Chapter 2, what are society ladies said not to have done?
(a) Picked fruit.
(b) Dressed in unfashionable clothes.
(c) Spoken to strange men.
(d) Gone out without an attendant.
5. What does Damerel scold Aubrey for in Chapter 4?
(a) Trespassing on his estate.
(b) Going out in bad weather.
(c) Not using good judgment.
(d) Riding a horse.
6. Who first advises Venetia not to go see her ailing brother?
(a) Mrs. Priddy.
(c) Mrs. Denny.
7. Who does NOT worry about the propriety of Venetia's visits to the Priory in Chapter 7?
(b) Lady Denny.
8. Why does Oswald say Venetia can't understand the danger Damerel poses to her?
(a) She is too young.
(b) She is a woman.
(c) She is too innocent.
(d) She is too stupid.
9. What do Venetia and Damerel talk about in the garden in Chapter 6?
(b) Aubrey's travels.
(c) Life in the village.
(d) Their fathers.
10. How does Venetia react when Oswald offers to protect her from Damerel ?
(a) She cries with relief.
(b) She gets angry.
(c) She laughs.
(d) She is touched.
11. Who does Venetia tell about her encounter with Lord Damerel ?
(a) No one.
(d) Mrs. Priddy.
12. What does Venetia note she has for the first time in her life in Chapter 5?
(a) A rival.
(b) A beau.
(c) An enemy.
(d) A friend.
13. Who is with Damerel when they encounter Aubrey at the end of Chapter 3?
14. What does Venetia get tangled in during Chapter 2?
(b) A spider web.
(c) Rose bushes.
15. What about Yardley upsets Aubrey in Chapter 6?
(a) That he speaks to Venetia rudely.
(b) That he doubts Aubrey's intelligence.
(c) That he takes a drink without being offered one.
(d) That he assumes authority when he has none.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oswald talk about often?
2. In what manner do Damerel and Venetia speak to each other in Chapter 2?
3. When does Yardley think Venetia will marry him?
4. Who did Damerel initially think Venetia was?
5. Whom does Oswald dislike?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)