|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Venetia stop going to the Priory in Chapter 8?
(a) Mrs. Denny advises against it.
(b) Bad weather moves in.
(c) She and Damerel have a disagreement.
(d) Aubrey returns home.
2. What does Venetia get tangled in during Chapter 2?
(b) Rose bushes.
(d) A spider web.
3. Who is Sophie Rendlesham?
(a) Venetia's neighbor.
(b) Damerel's head housekeeper.
(c) The woman Lord Damerel ran off with.
(d) Venetia's aunt.
4. What is Yardley convinced of in Chapter 1?
(a) That Oswald is stealing from Venetia's family.
(b) That Venetia will marry him.
(c) That he can get Venetia to marry his son.
(d) That he will acquire Venetia's family home.
5. What kind of dog does Aubrey have?
(a) A Spaniel.
(b) A Beagle.
(c) A Boxer.
(d) A Terrier.
6. What does Yardley refer to as of "particular delicacy."
(a) Aubrey's emotional state.
(b) Muscle injuries.
(c) The public opinion for Damerel.
(d) Venetia's social standing.
7. How does Yardley speak to Venetia in in Chapter 3?
(a) As though she cannot hear.
(b) Like an army commander.
(c) As though she can't understand English.
(d) As though he's speaking to a child.
8. What is big news in town in Chapter 3?
(a) The hot weather.
(b) The vicar's death.
(c) The summer festival.
(d) Lord Damerel's return.
9. Who does NOT worry about the propriety of Venetia's visits to the Priory in Chapter 7?
(d) Lady Denny.
10. Why is Venetia worried that something is wrong with Aubrey at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) He said he would be back in ten minutes.
(b) His dog returns alone.
(c) He did not come home for lunch.
(d) His horse can be seen wandering on a ridge.
11. What does Lady Denny's husband do to her dismay in Chapter 3?
(a) Invites Damerel into their home.
(b) Refuses to host a party in their house.
(c) Arranges a marriage for her daughter.
(d) Travels to London without her.
12. Why is Yardley threatened by Damerel?
(a) He worries Damerel will steal Venetia's heart.
(b) He worries Damerel will attack Aubrey.
(c) He worries Damerel will buy the Undershaw Estate.
(d) He worries there will be gossip about Damerel and Venetia.
13. Who is with Damerel when they encounter Aubrey at the end of Chapter 3?
14. What does Venetia refuse to change her behavior just to avoid?
(c) Angering others.
15. Whom does Oswald dislike?
(b) The aristocracy.
(d) Crippled people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yardley tell Venetia she must stop doing in Chapter 3?
2. What does Venetia decide to pick in Chapter 2?
3. What makes Oswald self-conscious around Yardley?
4. How does Damerel react to Yardley's annoying and offensive comments?
5. How long does Aubrey stay at the Priory?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)