|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Damerel glad for Aubrey's injury?
(a) It gives him an excuse to contact Venetia.
(b) He dislikes Aubrey.
(c) He hopes it will cause Aubrey to become more cautious.
(d) It gives him a chance to test out his homemade remedies.
2. How does Venetia react when Oswald offers to protect her from Damerel ?
(a) She gets angry.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She cries with relief.
(d) She is touched.
3. What does Aubrey spend most of his time doing?
4. What does Venetia intend to do with her inheritance?
(a) Donate it to charity.
(b) Open a shop in London.
(c) Set up her own house.
5. What does Venetia get tangled in during Chapter 2?
(a) Rose bushes.
(c) A spider web.
6. Why did Venetia think Damerel returned to the Priory?
(a) To entertain guests.
(b) To recuperate from an injury.
(c) So he could meet her.
(d) On business.
7. What does Yardley assume when he meets Damerel?
(a) That Yardley was a friend of Venetia's father.
(b) That Yardley is a friend to Aubrey.
(c) That Yardley is there to cause trouble.
(d) That Yardley is Mrs. Priddy's son.
8. What does Venetia bring with her to the Priory in Chapter 5?
9. What is Clara Denny's opinion of Yardley?
(a) She thinks he is strange and disturbed.
(b) She thinks he is pushy and rude.
(c) She thinks he is handsome, but dimwitted.
(d) She thinks he is clever and funny.
10. Why does Venetia's elder brother leave home frequently?
(a) He finds the home uncomfortable.
(b) He is searching for his mother.
(c) He travels for business.
(d) He is in the military.
11. How does Damerel get Yardley to leave the Priory?
(a) He asks him to fetch medicine from the village.
(b) He implies that Venetia will be leaving.
(c) He offers him lunch.
(d) He asks him to go.
12. What is Mrs. Priddy's opinion of Damerel in Chapter 7?
(a) She is indifferent toward Damerel.
(b) She is distrustful of Damerel.
(c) She holds Damerel in high regard.
(d) She thinks Damerel is a soundrel.
13. What is one of Lady Denny's daughter's named?
14. How does Yardley speak to Venetia in in Chapter 3?
(a) As though she can't understand English.
(b) As though he's speaking to a child.
(c) Like an army commander.
(d) As though she cannot hear.
15. When does Yardley think Venetia will marry him?
(a) When Conway returns.
(b) After he gets rid of Oswald.
(c) When Aubrey goes to Oxford.
(d) When she turns thirty.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what are society ladies said not to have done?
2. What word describes Venetia's life so far?
3. How does Lady Denny act toward Lord Damerel?
4. What does Yardley tell Venetia she must stop doing in Chapter 3?
5. What does Venetia note to Oswald about his father.
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)