|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jennifer make her US debut?
2. How long is the visitor expected to be in NYC?
3. Why can Jennifer not leave right away for France?
4. What does Jennifer do to avoid going to Hollywood?
5. Where do Neely and Helen run into one another and fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lyon find out that Anne lent him the money in secret?
2. What does Ted do after he and Neely fight when Neely finds him with another girl?
3. Why does Anne include Spain in her list of places to go on her honeymoon?
4. Why does Neely not want to continue the tour?
5. Why does Henry say that the press is not covering Neely's affair with Lyon very hard?
6. Why did the studio blackball Ted's new girlfriend?
7. Why does Kevin Gillmore finally ask Anne to marry him?
8. Why do Anne and Kevin not marry?
9. Why does Lyon eventually decide to drop Neely from the firm?
10. Why is Jennifer so smitten with Senator Winston Adams?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Valley of the Dolls, there is a huge emphasis put on finding a husband. Everyone but Anne seems obsessed with this idea. Is there still a huge emphasis placed on women to find husbands? If not, why do you believe this has changed? Use evidence from society and modern-day examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What is your definition of a hero? Using that criteria, do any of the characters in Valley of the Dolls qualify as a hero? Why or why not? Use evidence from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think of Anne's statements at the end of the book? It becomes pretty obvious that she has no intention to leave Lyon. What would you have done in her case? Do you think she is brave or cowardly for her making the choice she did?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)