|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Jennifer not leave right away for France?
2. Who does Neely read that Anne is dating in the columns in 1950?
3. Why does Winston Adams say it feels as if he knows Anne?
4. Where do Neely and Helen run into one another and fight?
5. In what month does Jennifer return to New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jennifer so smitten with Senator Winston Adams?
2. How does Lyon react when he finds out Jennifer Burke has been born?
3. Why do Kevin, Anne, and Neely go upstate to the sanitarium.
4. What does Ted do after he and Neely fight when Neely finds him with another girl?
5. Why does Anne include Spain in her list of places to go on her honeymoon?
6. What does Anne say about not marrying Lyon Burke and being changed when Henry asks her about it at lunch?
7. Why does Lyon eventually decide to drop Neely from the firm?
8. How does winning the Academy Award change Neely's life?
9. What do Neely's comments about Lyon spending time with other women tell the reader about her character?
10. How does Lyon find out that Anne lent him the money in secret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are multiple excuses given for Lyon and why he cheats. What reason do you give for Lyon's cheating? Is it really to help his company, is it because, at heart, he is a playboy, or is he doing it to get back at Anne for tricking him into buying the company? Explain your answer with reasoning and examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, Anne says, "She knew now there would always be a Neely, or a Margie... but each time it would hurt less, and afterward she would love Lyon less, until one day there would be nothing left-no hurt, and no love." Analyze this quote. What does Anne mean when she states it? Do you agree or disagree with this new outlook on life. Support your answer with evidence form the text.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationships that Jennifer had in her life. How were these relationships similar to each other and how were they different? In your opinion, which was the best relationship for Jen?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)