|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Henry refer Anne to before she begins her new job?
2. What person from Anne's past returns in 1961?
3. Who offers Anne the position of being "the face" for them?
4. Who is inheriting all of Jennifer's money?
5. With whom is Kevin cheating on Neely?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Neely not want to continue the tour?
2. Describe Jennifer and Claude's relationship.
3. Why does Anne say that Jennifer will always be in debt? Why is Jennifer really in debt?
4. How does Neely react when she realizes that she missed her sons' birthday?
5. Why does Anne include Spain in her list of places to go on her honeymoon?
6. Why does Henry say that the press is not covering Neely's affair with Lyon very hard?
7. Why does Kevin Gillmore finally ask Anne to marry him?
8. How does Lyon find out that Anne lent him the money in secret?
9. How does winning the Academy Award change Neely's life?
10. Why is Jennifer so smitten with Senator Winston Adams?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the two major settings of the book (New York and Hollywood). How are they similar and how are they different? Did either of these settings change the character who lived there? If so, explain how.
Essay Topic 2
What do you believe the theme of the novel is? Remember, a theme starts out as a universal idea that anyone can relate to and then is narrowed down to the novel specifically. Describe the theme and defend your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
A tragic hero is a literary character who allows his or her own personality characteristics to get in the way of success and lead to his or her ultimate failure. Choose one character from Valley of The Dolls who you believe is a tragic hero. Why do you believe this character is a tragic hero? What are this person's personality characteristics that lead to his or her downfall or ultimate failure? Use evidence from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)