|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers Anne the position of being "the face" for them?
2. Where is the last spot Neely was spotted after leaving New York?
3. Why does Neely return to NYC?
4. How did Lyon get the money to buy out Henry and become an owner of Bellamy, Bellows and Burke?
5. Why will Lyon not see Neely when she wants on New Year's?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Neely react when she realizes that she missed her sons' birthday?
2. How does Lyon react when he finds out Jennifer Burke has been born?
3. Describe Jennifer and Claude's relationship.
4. How does winning the Academy Award change Neely's life?
5. Why do Kevin, Anne, and Neely go upstate to the sanitarium.
6. What do Neely's comments about Lyon spending time with other women tell the reader about her character?
7. Why does Lyon eventually decide to drop Neely from the firm?
8. Why does Neely return from Hollywood after only three weeks of shooting?
9. What does Anne say about not marrying Lyon Burke and being changed when Henry asks her about it at lunch?
10. Why does Henry say that the press is not covering Neely's affair with Lyon very hard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationships that Jennifer had in her life. How were these relationships similar to each other and how were they different? In your opinion, which was the best relationship for Jen?
Essay Topic 2
The novel begins with a poem that describes how once you reach the epitome of your career, there is nowhere to go but down. Do you believe this is a true statement? Why or why not? Do you believe this is what happened to Jennifer, Anne, and Neely? Explain and use examples from the text for support.
Essay Topic 3
What is your definition of a hero? Using that criteria, do any of the characters in Valley of the Dolls qualify as a hero? Why or why not? Use evidence from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)