|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Anne say she wants to marry while at lunch with Henry?
2. What happens to Lyon and Anne's baby that brings them together?
3. Where do Neely and Helen run into one another and fight?
4. What is one thing a husband would provide that Anne has never had to worry about?
5. Who does Neely sing with at the psychiatric hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Neely so nervous to do Kevin's show?
2. Why is Jennifer so smitten with Senator Winston Adams?
3. Why did the studio blackball Ted's new girlfriend?
4. Why does Kevin secretly blame everything on Neely?
5. Why does Neely return from Hollywood after only three weeks of shooting?
6. Why does Jennifer go to Switzerland?
7. Why does Neely not want to continue the tour?
8. What does Anne say about not marrying Lyon Burke and being changed when Henry asks her about it at lunch?
9. Why does Anne say that Jennifer will always be in debt? Why is Jennifer really in debt?
10. Why does Henry say that the press is not covering Neely's affair with Lyon very hard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author Jacqueline Susann was a well-known actress who left her hometown of Philadelphia when she was 18 for New York City. She was often cited on best-dressed lists and starred on television, but became most famous for her novels. Do you think Susann took her own experiences into account when writing this novel? Do any of the characters stem from Susann herself or do you see Susann represented in multiple characters? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The novel begins with a poem that describes how once you reach the epitome of your career, there is nowhere to go but down. Do you believe this is a true statement? Why or why not? Do you believe this is what happened to Jennifer, Anne, and Neely? Explain and use examples from the text for support.
Essay Topic 3
There are multiple excuses given for Lyon and why he cheats. What reason do you give for Lyon's cheating? Is it really to help his company, is it because, at heart, he is a playboy, or is he doing it to get back at Anne for tricking him into buying the company? Explain your answer with reasoning and examples from the text.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)