|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the last spot Neely was spotted after leaving New York?
2. How many years did Neely sign in her contract with the studio?
3. Who does Anne meet for the first time at the luncheon?
4. What is the occupation of Jennifer's new man?
5. How many days behind shooting are they when Neely walks off set in 1953 in California?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry take the news that Anne will be leaving him to become the Gillian girl?
2. Why is Jennifer so smitten with Senator Winston Adams?
3. Why does Kevin secretly blame everything on Neely?
4. Why do Kevin, Anne, and Neely go upstate to the sanitarium.
5. How does winning the Academy Award change Neely's life?
6. Why does Lyon eventually decide to drop Neely from the firm?
7. What does Anne say about not marrying Lyon Burke and being changed when Henry asks her about it at lunch?
8. How does Neely react when she realizes that she missed her sons' birthday?
9. Why does Kevin Gilmore want Anne to be the Gillian girl?
10. Why does Neely not want to continue the tour?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Neely. Why does she do the things she does and what has happened in her life to make her this way? Do you believe that Lyon's statement that she will self-destruct is true? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
A tragic hero is a literary character who allows his or her own personality characteristics to get in the way of success and lead to his or her ultimate failure. Choose one character from Valley of The Dolls who you believe is a tragic hero. Why do you believe this character is a tragic hero? What are this person's personality characteristics that lead to his or her downfall or ultimate failure? Use evidence from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author Jacqueline Susann was a well-known actress who left her hometown of Philadelphia when she was 18 for New York City. She was often cited on best-dressed lists and starred on television, but became most famous for her novels. Do you think Susann took her own experiences into account when writing this novel? Do any of the characters stem from Susann herself or do you see Susann represented in multiple characters? Explain your answer.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)