|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event does Neely realize she has missed at 11:30 at night?
2. Why does Jennifer think no one loves her for more than her face or body?
3. Where does Jennifer make her US debut?
4. What happens to Lyon and Anne's baby that brings them together?
5. Where are Lyon and Anne married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Neely not want to continue the tour?
2. What does Ted do after he and Neely fight when Neely finds him with another girl?
3. What is the catalyst for Anne going to see Lyon again?
4. Describe Jennifer and Claude's relationship.
5. How does Lyon find out that Anne lent him the money in secret?
6. How does Neely react when she realizes that she missed her sons' birthday?
7. Why is Jennifer so smitten with Senator Winston Adams?
8. What does Anne say about not marrying Lyon Burke and being changed when Henry asks her about it at lunch?
9. Why is Neely so nervous to do Kevin's show?
10. Why does Kevin Gilmore want Anne to be the Gillian girl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Valley of the Dolls is told in a unique way. Each chapter tells someone else's view of what is going on in life during the novel. The setting and narrator often shift. Would you consider this novel to be third person limited or omniscient? Explain your answer and use evidence from the text for support.
Essay Topic 2
There are multiple excuses given for Lyon and why he cheats. What reason do you give for Lyon's cheating? Is it really to help his company, is it because, at heart, he is a playboy, or is he doing it to get back at Anne for tricking him into buying the company? Explain your answer with reasoning and examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the two major settings of the book (New York and Hollywood). How are they similar and how are they different? Did either of these settings change the character who lived there? If so, explain how.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)