|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Anne's first visit to Neely's hospital a disaster shortly after Neely was admitted in 1961?
2. Why does Anne get sick when she returns to her apartment?
3. What is the occupation of Jennifer's new man?
4. Who offers Anne the position of being "the face" for them?
5. What is Henry's advice to Anne when he and Anne discuss Lyon's marital indiscretions?
Essay Topic 1
The novel begins with a poem that describes how once you reach the epitome of your career, there is nowhere to go but down. Do you believe this is a true statement? Why or why not? Do you believe this is what happened to Jennifer, Anne, and Neely? Explain and use examples from the text for support.
Essay Topic 2
Valley of the Dolls is told in a unique way. Each chapter tells someone else's view of what is going on in life during the novel. The setting and narrator often shift. Would you consider this novel to be third person limited or omniscient? Explain your answer and use evidence from the text for support.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationships that Jennifer had in her life. How were these relationships similar to each other and how were they different? In your opinion, which was the best relationship for Jen?
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)