|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Henry refer Anne to before she begins her new job?
2. How does Lyon find out about Anne's secret in regards to the firm?
3. How many Demerol shots a day is Neely getting in 1964?
4. What happens to Lyon and Anne's baby that brings them together?
5. What director is Neely upset with when she walks out of shooting for the third time in five weeks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Neely return from Hollywood after only three weeks of shooting?
2. Why does Neely not want to continue the tour?
3. Why did the studio blackball Ted's new girlfriend?
4. What is the catalyst for Anne going to see Lyon again?
5. How does Lyon react when he finds out Jennifer Burke has been born?
6. Why does Anne say that Jennifer will always be in debt? Why is Jennifer really in debt?
7. Why does Kevin secretly blame everything on Neely?
8. What do Neely's comments about Lyon spending time with other women tell the reader about her character?
9. Why do Kevin, Anne, and Neely go upstate to the sanitarium.
10. How does Henry take the news that Anne will be leaving him to become the Gillian girl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel, Anne says, "She knew now there would always be a Neely, or a Margie... but each time it would hurt less, and afterward she would love Lyon less, until one day there would be nothing left-no hurt, and no love." Analyze this quote. What does Anne mean when she states it? Do you agree or disagree with this new outlook on life. Support your answer with evidence form the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the two major settings of the book (New York and Hollywood). How are they similar and how are they different? Did either of these settings change the character who lived there? If so, explain how.
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Neely. Why does she do the things she does and what has happened in her life to make her this way? Do you believe that Lyon's statement that she will self-destruct is true? Explain.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)