|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jennifer think no one loves her for more than her face or body?
2. What happens to Lyon and Anne's baby that brings them together?
3. Why does Anne get sick when she returns to her apartment?
4. How many years did Neely fight her divorce?
5. What does Lyon compare Anne's hair to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Neely's comments about Lyon spending time with other women tell the reader about her character?
2. Why does Jennifer kill herself?
3. Why does Kevin Gilmore want Anne to be the Gillian girl?
4. Describe Jennifer and Claude's relationship.
5. Why does Neely return from Hollywood after only three weeks of shooting?
6. Why does Anne include Spain in her list of places to go on her honeymoon?
7. Why do Anne and Kevin not marry?
8. What is the catalyst for Anne going to see Lyon again?
9. Why is Neely so nervous to do Kevin's show?
10. How does Lyon find out that Anne lent him the money in secret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Valley of the Dolls, there is a huge emphasis put on finding a husband. Everyone but Anne seems obsessed with this idea. Is there still a huge emphasis placed on women to find husbands? If not, why do you believe this has changed? Use evidence from society and modern-day examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The author Jacqueline Susann was a well-known actress who left her hometown of Philadelphia when she was 18 for New York City. She was often cited on best-dressed lists and starred on television, but became most famous for her novels. Do you think Susann took her own experiences into account when writing this novel? Do any of the characters stem from Susann herself or do you see Susann represented in multiple characters? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Anne Welles chose to leave Lawrenceville, Massachusetts to escape a life she felt was oppressive. In your opinion, did she find any more freedom in New York? Explain your answer using evidence from the text for support.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)