|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what police station is Neely found when she is in New York?
2. In what month does Jennifer arrive in the US?
3. Who does Henry say he is trying to get over being in love with?
4. What is the new musical hit of Broadway in 1964?
5. Who does Henry refer Anne to before she begins her new job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry say that the press is not covering Neely's affair with Lyon very hard?
2. Why is Neely so nervous to do Kevin's show?
3. What is the catalyst for Anne going to see Lyon again?
4. What does Anne say about not marrying Lyon Burke and being changed when Henry asks her about it at lunch?
5. How does Henry take the news that Anne will be leaving him to become the Gillian girl?
6. How does Neely react when she realizes that she missed her sons' birthday?
7. How does Lyon react when he finds out Jennifer Burke has been born?
8. Why does Jennifer kill herself?
9. Why does Anne say that Jennifer will always be in debt? Why is Jennifer really in debt?
10. Why do Kevin, Anne, and Neely go upstate to the sanitarium.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author Jacqueline Susann was a well-known actress who left her hometown of Philadelphia when she was 18 for New York City. She was often cited on best-dressed lists and starred on television, but became most famous for her novels. Do you think Susann took her own experiences into account when writing this novel? Do any of the characters stem from Susann herself or do you see Susann represented in multiple characters? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
A tragic hero is a literary character who allows his or her own personality characteristics to get in the way of success and lead to his or her ultimate failure. Choose one character from Valley of The Dolls who you believe is a tragic hero. Why do you believe this character is a tragic hero? What are this person's personality characteristics that lead to his or her downfall or ultimate failure? Use evidence from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the two major settings of the book (New York and Hollywood). How are they similar and how are they different? Did either of these settings change the character who lived there? If so, explain how.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)