|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years did Neely sign in her contract with the studio?
2. What is the name of Anne and Lyon's baby?
3. What habit did Neely begin when her divorce became final?
4. What does Dr. Massinger say Neely has lost her voice?
5. What does Neely do to get out of doing Kevin's show?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Neely so nervous to do Kevin's show?
2. Why do Anne and Kevin not marry?
3. What does Anne say about not marrying Lyon Burke and being changed when Henry asks her about it at lunch?
4. How does winning the Academy Award change Neely's life?
5. How does Neely react when she realizes that she missed her sons' birthday?
6. How does Lyon find out that Anne lent him the money in secret?
7. What does Ted do after he and Neely fight when Neely finds him with another girl?
8. Why does Neely not want to continue the tour?
9. Why do Kevin, Anne, and Neely go upstate to the sanitarium.
10. How does Lyon react when he finds out Jennifer Burke has been born?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Between Jennifer North and Neely O'Hara, which person achieved more success in their lives? Both were highly motivated people who used what "God gave them" to reach their goals. In your opinion, who succeeded the most and why? Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
A tragic hero is a literary character who allows his or her own personality characteristics to get in the way of success and lead to his or her ultimate failure. Choose one character from Valley of The Dolls who you believe is a tragic hero. Why do you believe this character is a tragic hero? What are this person's personality characteristics that lead to his or her downfall or ultimate failure? Use evidence from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think of Anne's statements at the end of the book? It becomes pretty obvious that she has no intention to leave Lyon. What would you have done in her case? Do you think she is brave or cowardly for her making the choice she did?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)