|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Helen Lawson live before her 5-year break from Broadway?
2. Who replaces Terry King in "Hit the Sky"?
3. What does Henry warn Jen that Miriam will do to the baby?
4. Who does Anne have a crush on from the office?
5. What is Lyon's secret dream that he shares with Anne while at lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Anne and Lyon begin dating and make love for the first time in New Haven, Connecticut. Lyon says that it is okay if this is only for New Haven and Anne does not understand what he means by this. What does Lyon mean by this comment? Why is this something that Anne would not agree with?
2. Why does Jennifer want to go to France and make nude films?
3. Why does Anne want to sell all of her parents' belongings?
4. Why won't Anne go to Mr. Bellamy on behalf of her friend Neely?
5. Why does Jennifer hide her true identity, lie about her age, and change her name?
6. How does Anne's family react to the news that she is moving to New York City?
7. Why does Jennifer go to Lawrenceville with Anne?
8. What is Zeke Whyte's role in Neely's life?
9. What does Miriam do to try break up Jennifer and Tony's marriage?
10. Why is Neely so impressed to have a "living room with a white rug"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationships that Jennifer had in her life. How were these relationships similar to each other and how were they different? In your opinion, which was the best relationship for Jen?
Essay Topic 2
Valley of the Dolls is told in a unique way. Each chapter tells someone else's view of what is going on in life during the novel. The setting and narrator often shift. Would you consider this novel to be third person limited or omniscient? Explain your answer and use evidence from the text for support.
Essay Topic 3
Between Jennifer North and Neely O'Hara, which person achieved more success in their lives? Both were highly motivated people who used what "God gave them" to reach their goals. In your opinion, who succeeded the most and why? Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)