|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first job Anne is assigned to for Lyon Burke?
2. What Frenchman does Jennifer meet?
3. What novel is Neely engrossed in while she waits for a job?
4. What college did Anne attend?
5. Who replaces Terry King in "Hit the Sky"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jennifer go to Lawrenceville with Anne?
2. Why is Neely so impressed to have a "living room with a white rug"?
3. Why is the paparazzi following Anne and how does she react to it?
4. Why does Anne want to sell all of her parents' belongings?
5. How does Anne react when Allen proposes to her and asks her to leave Bellamy and Bellows?
6. Why is Neely so impressed by the fact that Mel is in love with her?
7. Why does Lyon say that he cannot marry Anne?
8. Describe Helen's character.
9. How does Neely feel about Helen Lawson?
10. Why does Lyon leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is your definition of a hero? Using that criteria, do any of the characters in Valley of the Dolls qualify as a hero? Why or why not? Use evidence from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Anne Welles chose to leave Lawrenceville, Massachusetts to escape a life she felt was oppressive. In your opinion, did she find any more freedom in New York? Explain your answer using evidence from the text for support.
Essay Topic 3
The novel begins with a poem that describes how once you reach the epitome of your career, there is nowhere to go but down. Do you believe this is a true statement? Why or why not? Do you believe this is what happened to Jennifer, Anne, and Neely? Explain and use examples from the text for support.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)