|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Neely lose her virginity?
2. Where do Allen and Anne meet Allen's father?
3. Why does Miriam yell at Tony loudly about him sleeping with other women?
4. With what agency does Jennifer register?
5. What item does Lyon leave Anne when he moves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jennifer's relationship with Maria.
2. What is Zeke Whyte's role in Neely's life?
3. How does Neely feel about Helen Lawson?
4. Why won't Anne go to Mr. Bellamy on behalf of her friend Neely?
5. Why does Anne want to sell all of her parents' belongings?
6. What are the reasons that Jennifer is unhappy in California? (There should be at least three.)
7. Why is the paparazzi following Anne and how does she react to it?
8. Why is Neely so impressed to have a "living room with a white rug"?
9. Why does Helen Lawson allow Neely to take Terry King's place in the musical?
10. How does Anne's family react to the news that she is moving to New York City?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anne Welles chose to leave Lawrenceville, Massachusetts to escape a life she felt was oppressive. In your opinion, did she find any more freedom in New York? Explain your answer using evidence from the text for support.
Essay Topic 2
What is your definition of a hero? Using that criteria, do any of the characters in Valley of the Dolls qualify as a hero? Why or why not? Use evidence from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Helen Lawson is a kind of archetype in this novel. She is who all aspiring actresses wanted to be, but her life was not all fun and games. Explain the problems that Helen encountered in her life and how they held her back or affected who she was as a person. Use specific examples from the text in your answer.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)