|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What novel is Neely engrossed in while she waits for a job?
2. What is the name of Neely's instructor that is hired by her new agency?
3. On what date do Nelly and Mel plan to marry?
4. What does Neely give Mel credit for in regards to her career?
5. In what season does Anne arrive in New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miriam come to NYC to see Jen?
2. Why does Lyon say that he cannot marry Anne?
3. Describe Helen's character.
4. Why does Henry think Anne wants to stay with her job?
5. Why is every girl in the office and in New York in love with Lyon Burke and how does Anne react to this news?
6. Why do you believe Miriam is upset upon hearing that Jen is pregnant?
7. Why won't Anne go to Mr. Bellamy on behalf of her friend Neely?
8. How does Neely feel about Helen Lawson?
9. Why does Neely switch from Bellamy and Bellows to Johnson Harris?
10. Why does Lyon leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With which main character from the book (Anne, Jennifer, or Neely) do you feel you relate most? Why do you relate best with this character? Use examples from your life and compare them with the actions of your chosen character to explain the similarities.
Essay Topic 2
What is your definition of a hero? Using that criteria, do any of the characters in Valley of the Dolls qualify as a hero? Why or why not? Use evidence from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What do you believe the theme of the novel is? Remember, a theme starts out as a universal idea that anyone can relate to and then is narrowed down to the novel specifically. Describe the theme and defend your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)