|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tony Polar give Jennifer for Christmas?
2. What does Neely give Mel credit for in regards to her career?
3. What is the first job Anne is assigned to for Lyon Burke?
4. What holiday does Anne spend alone?
5. What word does Lyon use to describe Neely?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Zeke Whyte's role in Neely's life?
2. Why does Lyon say that he cannot marry Anne?
3. How does Anne react when Allen proposes to her and asks her to leave Bellamy and Bellows?
4. Why is Mel so concerned that he will not be taken seriously in Hollywood?
5. What are the reasons that Jennifer is unhappy in California? (There should be at least three.)
6. Describe Helen's character.
7. Why is Neely leaving Mel?
8. Describe Jennifer's relationship with Maria.
9. Why does Jennifer hide her true identity, lie about her age, and change her name?
10. Why is Neely so impressed by the fact that Mel is in love with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With which main character from the book (Anne, Jennifer, or Neely) do you feel you relate most? Why do you relate best with this character? Use examples from your life and compare them with the actions of your chosen character to explain the similarities.
Essay Topic 2
In Valley of the Dolls, there is a huge emphasis put on finding a husband. Everyone but Anne seems obsessed with this idea. Is there still a huge emphasis placed on women to find husbands? If not, why do you believe this has changed? Use evidence from society and modern-day examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Helen Lawson is a kind of archetype in this novel. She is who all aspiring actresses wanted to be, but her life was not all fun and games. Explain the problems that Helen encountered in her life and how they held her back or affected who she was as a person. Use specific examples from the text in your answer.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)