|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase does Neely say too often?
2. Who does Anne have a crush on from the office?
3. What is Neely's first impression of Helen Lawson?
4. What color are Neely's diet pills?
5. Which character causes Anne to break up with Allen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Neely so impressed by the fact that Mel is in love with her?
2. Why does Miriam hire a private eye to track Jennifer?
3. How does Anne react when Allen proposes to her and asks her to leave Bellamy and Bellows?
4. Why do you believe Miriam is upset upon hearing that Jen is pregnant?
5. Why is Mel so concerned that he will not be taken seriously in Hollywood?
6. What is Zeke Whyte's role in Neely's life?
7. Why is Neely so impressed to have a "living room with a white rug"?
8. Why does Lyon say that he cannot marry Anne?
9. Describe Jennifer's relationship with Maria.
10. Why does Miriam come to NYC to see Jen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the two major settings of the book (New York and Hollywood). How are they similar and how are they different? Did either of these settings change the character who lived there? If so, explain how.
Essay Topic 2
What do you believe the theme of the novel is? Remember, a theme starts out as a universal idea that anyone can relate to and then is narrowed down to the novel specifically. Describe the theme and defend your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Valley of the Dolls is told in a unique way. Each chapter tells someone else's view of what is going on in life during the novel. The setting and narrator often shift. Would you consider this novel to be third person limited or omniscient? Explain your answer and use evidence from the text for support.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)