Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Neely lose her virginity?
2. What office co-worker does Anne turn down for a lunch date?
3. What does Neely do when Jennifer tells her she is pregnant?
4. Who does Anne live with in Massachusetts?
5. Why does Miriam yell at Tony loudly about him sleeping with other women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kevin Gilmore want Anne to be the Gillian girl?
2. How does Anne's family react to the news that she is moving to New York City?
3. What does Anne say about not marrying Lyon Burke and being changed when Henry asks her about it at lunch?
4. Why is Neely so impressed to have a "living room with a white rug"?
5. Why does Neely return from Hollywood after only three weeks of shooting?
6. Why does Helen Lawson allow Neely to take Terry King's place in the musical?
7. How does Lyon find out that Anne lent him the money in secret?
8. What are the reasons that Jennifer is unhappy in California? (There should be at least three.)
9. Why does Anne say that from now on, she could never be hurt badly?
10. Why do Kevin, Anne, and Neely go upstate to the sanitarium.
Describe and analyze the character of Neely. Why does she do the things she does and what has happened in her life to make her this way? Do you believe that Lyon's statement that she will self-destruct is true? Explain.
Valley of the Dolls is told in a unique way. Each chapter tells someone else's view of what is going on in life during the novel. The setting and narrator often shift. Would you consider this novel to be third person limited or omniscient? Explain your answer and use evidence from the text for support.
The novel begins with a poem that describes how once you reach the epitome of your career, there is nowhere to go but down. Do you believe this is a true statement? Why or why not? Do you believe this is what happened to Jennifer, Anne, and Neely? Explain and use examples from the text for support.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)