|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henry Bellamy's original last name?
2. What word does Neely use to describe the pregnancy?
3. What office co-worker does Anne turn down for a lunch date?
4. How much money is Mel offered with his new job?
5. Where do Allen and Anne meet Allen's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jennifer's relationship with Maria.
2. Why does Jennifer hide her true identity, lie about her age, and change her name?
3. Why does Miriam hire a private eye to track Jennifer?
4. Why does Lyon leave?
5. Why is every girl in the office and in New York in love with Lyon Burke and how does Anne react to this news?
6. Describe exactly what Anne's job will be at Bellamy and Bellows.
7. When Anne first met Allen, what did she think that he did for a living? What does he actually do for a living and why did he hide his profession from Anne?
8. Why does Neely switch from Bellamy and Bellows to Johnson Harris?
9. Why is Neely so impressed to have a "living room with a white rug"?
10. Anne asks her mother if she ever really loved Anne's father. What makes Anne ask this question?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are multiple excuses given for Lyon and why he cheats. What reason do you give for Lyon's cheating? Is it really to help his company, is it because, at heart, he is a playboy, or is he doing it to get back at Anne for tricking him into buying the company? Explain your answer with reasoning and examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
A tragic hero is a literary character who allows his or her own personality characteristics to get in the way of success and lead to his or her ultimate failure. Choose one character from Valley of The Dolls who you believe is a tragic hero. Why do you believe this character is a tragic hero? What are this person's personality characteristics that lead to his or her downfall or ultimate failure? Use evidence from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The novel begins with a poem that describes how once you reach the epitome of your career, there is nowhere to go but down. Do you believe this is a true statement? Why or why not? Do you believe this is what happened to Jennifer, Anne, and Neely? Explain and use examples from the text for support.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)