|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Lyon leave Anne when he moves?
2. Where do Allen and Anne meet Allen's father?
3. What novel is Neely engrossed in while she waits for a job?
4. Who is Jennifer using for money and gifts in Philadelphia?
5. How large is Anne's diamond engagement ring?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jennifer hide her true identity, lie about her age, and change her name?
2. Anne and Lyon begin dating and make love for the first time in New Haven, Connecticut. Lyon says that it is okay if this is only for New Haven and Anne does not understand what he means by this. What does Lyon mean by this comment? Why is this something that Anne would not agree with?
3. Why do you believe Miriam is upset upon hearing that Jen is pregnant?
4. Why does Henry think Anne wants to stay with her job?
5. Describe Helen's character.
6. How does Anne's family react to the news that she is moving to New York City?
7. Why won't Anne go to Mr. Bellamy on behalf of her friend Neely?
8. How does Neely feel about Helen Lawson?
9. Describe exactly what Anne's job will be at Bellamy and Bellows.
10. Why does Miriam hire a private eye to track Jennifer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author Jacqueline Susann was a well-known actress who left her hometown of Philadelphia when she was 18 for New York City. She was often cited on best-dressed lists and starred on television, but became most famous for her novels. Do you think Susann took her own experiences into account when writing this novel? Do any of the characters stem from Susann herself or do you see Susann represented in multiple characters? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In Valley of the Dolls, there is a huge emphasis put on finding a husband. Everyone but Anne seems obsessed with this idea. Is there still a huge emphasis placed on women to find husbands? If not, why do you believe this has changed? Use evidence from society and modern-day examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
The novel begins with a poem that describes how once you reach the epitome of your career, there is nowhere to go but down. Do you believe this is a true statement? Why or why not? Do you believe this is what happened to Jennifer, Anne, and Neely? Explain and use examples from the text for support.
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)