|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Neely's instructor that is hired by her new agency?
2. Why will Anne have so much money soon after her mother has died?
3. Where does Lyon want to live with Anne?
4. What does Henry warn Jen that Miriam will do to the baby?
5. Who was Anne supposed to marry back in her hometown?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Neely feel about Helen Lawson?
2. Why does Henry think Anne wants to stay with her job?
3. How does Anne's family react to the news that she is moving to New York City?
4. Why does Miriam come to NYC to see Jen?
5. When Anne first met Allen, what did she think that he did for a living? What does he actually do for a living and why did he hide his profession from Anne?
6. What does Miriam do to try break up Jennifer and Tony's marriage?
7. Why does Miriam hire a private eye to track Jennifer?
8. Why does Lyon say that he cannot marry Anne?
9. Why is Neely so impressed to have a "living room with a white rug"?
10. Why is Neely so impressed by the fact that Mel is in love with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel, Anne says, "She knew now there would always be a Neely, or a Margie... but each time it would hurt less, and afterward she would love Lyon less, until one day there would be nothing left-no hurt, and no love." Analyze this quote. What does Anne mean when she states it? Do you agree or disagree with this new outlook on life. Support your answer with evidence form the text.
Essay Topic 2
There are multiple excuses given for Lyon and why he cheats. What reason do you give for Lyon's cheating? Is it really to help his company, is it because, at heart, he is a playboy, or is he doing it to get back at Anne for tricking him into buying the company? Explain your answer with reasoning and examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the two major settings of the book (New York and Hollywood). How are they similar and how are they different? Did either of these settings change the character who lived there? If so, explain how.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)