Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Neely lose her virginity?
2. What office co-worker does Anne turn down for a lunch date?
3. What does Neely do when Jennifer tells her she is pregnant?
4. Who does Anne live with in Massachusetts?
5. Why does Miriam yell at Tony loudly about him sleeping with other women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kevin Gilmore want Anne to be the Gillian girl?
2. How does Anne's family react to the news that she is moving to New York City?
3. What does Anne say about not marrying Lyon Burke and being changed when Henry asks her about it at lunch?
4. Why is Neely so impressed to have a "living room with a white rug"?
5. Why does Neely return from Hollywood after only three weeks of shooting?
6. Why does Helen Lawson allow Neely to take Terry King's place in the musical?
7. How does Lyon find out that Anne lent him the money in secret?
8. What are the reasons that Jennifer is unhappy in California? (There should be at least three.)
9. Why does Anne say that from now on, she could never be hurt badly?
10. Why do Kevin, Anne, and Neely go upstate to the sanitarium.
Discuss the use of dialogue in the story. Do you believe the use of dialogue moves the story forward or is it stilted? Would the story have been better told in a narrative form rather than using dialogue? Explain and defend your stance.
A tragic hero is a literary character who allows his or her own personality characteristics to get in the way of success and lead to his or her ultimate failure. Choose one character from Valley of The Dolls who you believe is a tragic hero. Why do you believe this character is a tragic hero? What are this person's personality characteristics that lead to his or her downfall or ultimate failure? Use evidence from the text to support your answer.
Between Jennifer North and Neely O'Hara, which person achieved more success in their lives? Both were highly motivated people who used what "God gave them" to reach their goals. In your opinion, who succeeded the most and why? Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)