|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who first introduces Jen to the "dolls"?
2. Who does Anne have a crush on from the office?
3. What best describes Anne's feelings towards New York?
4. Who replaces Terry King in "Hit the Sky"?
5. What agency represents Neely?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jennifer go to Lawrenceville with Anne?
2. Why does Kevin Gillmore finally ask Anne to marry him?
3. Why does Anne say that Jennifer will always be in debt? Why is Jennifer really in debt?
4. How does Neely react when she realizes that she missed her sons' birthday?
5. What are the reasons that Jennifer is unhappy in California? (There should be at least three.)
6. What is Zeke Whyte's role in Neely's life?
7. Why is Neely so impressed by the fact that Mel is in love with her?
8. How does Lyon react when he finds out Jennifer Burke has been born?
9. Why does Neely not want to continue the tour?
10. How does Anne's family react to the news that she is moving to New York City?
Essay Topic 1
Helen Lawson is a kind of archetype in this novel. She is who all aspiring actresses wanted to be, but her life was not all fun and games. Explain the problems that Helen encountered in her life and how they held her back or affected who she was as a person. Use specific examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
With which main character from the book (Anne, Jennifer, or Neely) do you feel you relate most? Why do you relate best with this character? Use examples from your life and compare them with the actions of your chosen character to explain the similarities.
Essay Topic 3
In Valley of the Dolls, there is a huge emphasis put on finding a husband. Everyone but Anne seems obsessed with this idea. Is there still a huge emphasis placed on women to find husbands? If not, why do you believe this has changed? Use evidence from society and modern-day examples to support your answers.
This section contains 1,629 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)