|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what profession is Adele?
2. What is Jennifer's real name?
3. At what theatrical law firm does Anne work?
4. What is the name of the reporter who covers Anne and Allen's engagement?
5. Why does Jennifer not like the sun?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Anne first met Allen, what did she think that he did for a living? What does he actually do for a living and why did he hide his profession from Anne?
2. Why is Neely so impressed to have a "living room with a white rug"?
3. Why does Henry think Anne wants to stay with her job?
4. What are the reasons that Jennifer is unhappy in California? (There should be at least three.)
5. Why does Lyon leave?
6. What is Zeke Whyte's role in Neely's life?
7. Describe Helen's character.
8. What does Miriam do to try break up Jennifer and Tony's marriage?
9. How does Neely feel about Helen Lawson?
10. Why is Mel so concerned that he will not be taken seriously in Hollywood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are multiple excuses given for Lyon and why he cheats. What reason do you give for Lyon's cheating? Is it really to help his company, is it because, at heart, he is a playboy, or is he doing it to get back at Anne for tricking him into buying the company? Explain your answer with reasoning and examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
A tragic hero is a literary character who allows his or her own personality characteristics to get in the way of success and lead to his or her ultimate failure. Choose one character from Valley of The Dolls who you believe is a tragic hero. Why do you believe this character is a tragic hero? What are this person's personality characteristics that lead to his or her downfall or ultimate failure? Use evidence from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In Valley of the Dolls, there is a huge emphasis put on finding a husband. Everyone but Anne seems obsessed with this idea. Is there still a huge emphasis placed on women to find husbands? If not, why do you believe this has changed? Use evidence from society and modern-day examples to support your answers.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)