|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea does Jennifer come up with to gain more control over Tony?
2. How much does Anne's room cost?
3. Why will Anne have so much money soon after her mother has died?
4. How much will Neely start at in Hollywood?
5. How does Jennifer convince Tony to marry her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lyon say that he cannot marry Anne?
2. What does Miriam do to try break up Jennifer and Tony's marriage?
3. Why is the paparazzi following Anne and how does she react to it?
4. Why won't Anne go to Mr. Bellamy on behalf of her friend Neely?
5. Why does Anne want to sell all of her parents' belongings?
6. Why is every girl in the office and in New York in love with Lyon Burke and how does Anne react to this news?
7. What are the reasons that Jennifer is unhappy in California? (There should be at least three.)
8. Describe Jennifer's relationship with Maria.
9. Anne asks her mother if she ever really loved Anne's father. What makes Anne ask this question?
10. Why does Jennifer want to go to France and make nude films?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Valley of the Dolls is told in a unique way. Each chapter tells someone else's view of what is going on in life during the novel. The setting and narrator often shift. Would you consider this novel to be third person limited or omniscient? Explain your answer and use evidence from the text for support.
Essay Topic 2
A tragic hero is a literary character who allows his or her own personality characteristics to get in the way of success and lead to his or her ultimate failure. Choose one character from Valley of The Dolls who you believe is a tragic hero. Why do you believe this character is a tragic hero? What are this person's personality characteristics that lead to his or her downfall or ultimate failure? Use evidence from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two characters from the book. Be sure to take into consideration the characters' actions, personalities, and more when comparing and contrasting. Use a graphic organizer to help organize your thoughts. Use evidence from the text to support your assertions.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)