Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Neely lose her virginity?
2. What office co-worker does Anne turn down for a lunch date?
3. What does Neely do when Jennifer tells her she is pregnant?
4. Who does Anne live with in Massachusetts?
5. Why does Miriam yell at Tony loudly about him sleeping with other women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kevin Gilmore want Anne to be the Gillian girl?
2. How does Anne's family react to the news that she is moving to New York City?
3. What does Anne say about not marrying Lyon Burke and being changed when Henry asks her about it at lunch?
4. Why is Neely so impressed to have a "living room with a white rug"?
5. Why does Neely return from Hollywood after only three weeks of shooting?
6. Why does Helen Lawson allow Neely to take Terry King's place in the musical?
7. How does Lyon find out that Anne lent him the money in secret?
8. What are the reasons that Jennifer is unhappy in California? (There should be at least three.)
9. Why does Anne say that from now on, she could never be hurt badly?
10. Why do Kevin, Anne, and Neely go upstate to the sanitarium.
Essay Topic 1
What do you think of Anne's statements at the end of the book? It becomes pretty obvious that she has no intention to leave Lyon. What would you have done in her case? Do you think she is brave or cowardly for her making the choice she did?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Neely. Why does she do the things she does and what has happened in her life to make her this way? Do you believe that Lyon's statement that she will self-destruct is true? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What do you believe the theme of the novel is? Remember, a theme starts out as a universal idea that anyone can relate to and then is narrowed down to the novel specifically. Describe the theme and defend your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)