|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what restaurant do Mel and Neely have lunch at the end of Neely, February, 1946?
2. Anne Welles left her hometown of________________________ Massachusetts for New York City and a fresh start.
3. How much will Neely start at in Hollywood?
4. Where was Lyon Burke born?
5. How old was Miriam when Tony was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Helen Lawson allow Neely to take Terry King's place in the musical?
2. Describe Jennifer's relationship with Maria.
3. How does Anne react when Allen proposes to her and asks her to leave Bellamy and Bellows?
4. What is Zeke Whyte's role in Neely's life?
5. Why does Jennifer go to Lawrenceville with Anne?
6. Why does Lyon say that he cannot marry Anne?
7. Why is Mel so concerned that he will not be taken seriously in Hollywood?
8. How does Neely feel about Helen Lawson?
9. Why is Neely leaving Mel?
10. What are the reasons that Jennifer is unhappy in California? (There should be at least three.)
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Helen Lawson is a kind of archetype in this novel. She is who all aspiring actresses wanted to be, but her life was not all fun and games. Explain the problems that Helen encountered in her life and how they held her back or affected who she was as a person. Use specific examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
With which main character from the book (Anne, Jennifer, or Neely) do you feel you relate most? Why do you relate best with this character? Use examples from your life and compare them with the actions of your chosen character to explain the similarities.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, Anne says, "She knew now there would always be a Neely, or a Margie... but each time it would hurt less, and afterward she would love Lyon less, until one day there would be nothing left-no hurt, and no love." Analyze this quote. What does Anne mean when she states it? Do you agree or disagree with this new outlook on life. Support your answer with evidence form the text.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)