|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tony suffer from as a child that let on to Miriam that he was sick?
2. Why does Miriam yell at Tony loudly about him sleeping with other women?
3. What is Neely's main complaint about Mel's hotel?
4. Why are Anne and Lyon in New Haven, Connecticut?
5. In what profession is Adele?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Neely leaving Mel?
2. What is Zeke Whyte's role in Neely's life?
3. Why does Lyon say that he cannot marry Anne?
4. Anne and Lyon begin dating and make love for the first time in New Haven, Connecticut. Lyon says that it is okay if this is only for New Haven and Anne does not understand what he means by this. What does Lyon mean by this comment? Why is this something that Anne would not agree with?
5. Why won't Anne go to Mr. Bellamy on behalf of her friend Neely?
6. Anne asks her mother if she ever really loved Anne's father. What makes Anne ask this question?
7. Why is Neely so impressed to have a "living room with a white rug"?
8. Why does Anne want to sell all of her parents' belongings?
9. Why does Neely switch from Bellamy and Bellows to Johnson Harris?
10. Why do you believe Miriam is upset upon hearing that Jen is pregnant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author Jacqueline Susann was a well-known actress who left her hometown of Philadelphia when she was 18 for New York City. She was often cited on best-dressed lists and starred on television, but became most famous for her novels. Do you think Susann took her own experiences into account when writing this novel? Do any of the characters stem from Susann herself or do you see Susann represented in multiple characters? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of dialogue in the story. Do you believe the use of dialogue moves the story forward or is it stilted? Would the story have been better told in a narrative form rather than using dialogue? Explain and defend your stance.
Essay Topic 3
A tragic hero is a literary character who allows his or her own personality characteristics to get in the way of success and lead to his or her ultimate failure. Choose one character from Valley of The Dolls who you believe is a tragic hero. Why do you believe this character is a tragic hero? What are this person's personality characteristics that lead to his or her downfall or ultimate failure? Use evidence from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)