|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Anne have a crush on from the office?
2. Where does Neely want to move when she is in California with Mel?
3. Where does Lyon want to live with Anne?
4. Who was Anne supposed to marry back in her hometown?
5. Who is the critic who liked Lyon's book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Anne want to sell all of her parents' belongings?
2. Why does Jennifer want to go to France and make nude films?
3. Anne asks her mother if she ever really loved Anne's father. What makes Anne ask this question?
4. How does Anne react when Allen proposes to her and asks her to leave Bellamy and Bellows?
5. Why does Lyon leave?
6. Why does Miriam come to NYC to see Jen?
7. How does Neely feel about Helen Lawson?
8. Why does Jennifer hide her true identity, lie about her age, and change her name?
9. How does Anne's family react to the news that she is moving to New York City?
10. Why is Mel so concerned that he will not be taken seriously in Hollywood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel begins with a poem that describes how once you reach the epitome of your career, there is nowhere to go but down. Do you believe this is a true statement? Why or why not? Do you believe this is what happened to Jennifer, Anne, and Neely? Explain and use examples from the text for support.
Essay Topic 2
Valley of the Dolls is told in a unique way. Each chapter tells someone else's view of what is going on in life during the novel. The setting and narrator often shift. Would you consider this novel to be third person limited or omniscient? Explain your answer and use evidence from the text for support.
Essay Topic 3
Helen Lawson is a kind of archetype in this novel. She is who all aspiring actresses wanted to be, but her life was not all fun and games. Explain the problems that Helen encountered in her life and how they held her back or affected who she was as a person. Use specific examples from the text in your answer.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)