|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Neely's act that makes it onto Helen's show?
2. Who did Jennifer North first marry?
3. How old was Miriam when Tony was born?
4. Where does Lyon want to live with Anne?
5. What type of person does Mel compare Neely to in her new clothes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Anne asks her mother if she ever really loved Anne's father. What makes Anne ask this question?
2. Describe Helen's character.
3. Why won't Anne go to Mr. Bellamy on behalf of her friend Neely?
4. How does Anne's family react to the news that she is moving to New York City?
5. Why does Jennifer go to Lawrenceville with Anne?
6. Why is Neely leaving Mel?
7. Why does Henry think Anne wants to stay with her job?
8. Anne and Lyon begin dating and make love for the first time in New Haven, Connecticut. Lyon says that it is okay if this is only for New Haven and Anne does not understand what he means by this. What does Lyon mean by this comment? Why is this something that Anne would not agree with?
9. Why does Neely switch from Bellamy and Bellows to Johnson Harris?
10. Why is the paparazzi following Anne and how does she react to it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Neely. Why does she do the things she does and what has happened in her life to make her this way? Do you believe that Lyon's statement that she will self-destruct is true? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Valley of the Dolls is told in a unique way. Each chapter tells someone else's view of what is going on in life during the novel. The setting and narrator often shift. Would you consider this novel to be third person limited or omniscient? Explain your answer and use evidence from the text for support.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the two major settings of the book (New York and Hollywood). How are they similar and how are they different? Did either of these settings change the character who lived there? If so, explain how.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)