|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money is Mel offered with his new job?
(a) $200 a week.
(b) $300 a week.
(c) $400 a week.
(d) $150 a week.
2. What word does Neely use to describe the pregnancy?
3. What is the name of Neely's act that makes it onto Helen's show?
(a) The Gaucheros.
(b) The Cowboys.
(c) The Juarez twins.
(d) The Flamengos.
4. What office co-worker does Anne turn down for a lunch date?
(a) Henry Bellamy.
(b) Allen Cooper.
(c) George Bellows.
(d) Lyon Burke.
5. Why does Jennifer not like the sun?
(a) It is too hot.
(b) She burns
(c) It gives her hives.
(d) It makes her too tan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are they when Jennifer reveals that she is pregnant?
2. What novel is Neely engrossed in while she waits for a job?
3. Anne Welles left her hometown of________________________ Massachusetts for New York City and a fresh start.
4. In what restaurant do Mel and Neely have lunch at the end of Neely, February, 1946?
5. Who is Jennifer using for money and gifts in Philadelphia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why won't Anne go to Mr. Bellamy on behalf of her friend Neely?
2. Describe exactly what Anne's job will be at Bellamy and Bellows.
3. Why is every girl in the office and in New York in love with Lyon Burke and how does Anne react to this news?
4. Why is Neely leaving Mel?
5. Describe Jennifer's relationship with Maria.
6. Why does Neely switch from Bellamy and Bellows to Johnson Harris?
7. How does Neely feel about Helen Lawson?
8. Why does Henry think Anne wants to stay with her job?
9. Why does Jennifer go to Lawrenceville with Anne?
10. When Anne first met Allen, what did she think that he did for a living? What does he actually do for a living and why did he hide his profession from Anne?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)