|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mother return from doing, at the beginning of Chapter 17?
2. Where did Piri go to school after being expelled?
3. Why was Mother upset in the beginning of chapter 12?
4. Where did Mother go to look for Manci?
5. Where were Jews being taken?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Piri's schooling change as a result of the Germans' policies?
2. Describe the ultimatum the Germans issued to the Jewish community.
3. Describe the conditions at the ghetto.
4. Why was Mother upset with Piri over Dr. Feher's death?
5. What were the family's options for escaping after Lujza's death?
6. Describe the trip mother took on Manci's behalf.
7. Describe the circumstances of Lujza's death.
8. Describe the family's departure for the ghetto.
9. Where did Iboya get work?
10. Where would Iboya spend time outside the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the calendar of Jewish and Christian holidays give structure to 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? How does Piri's family celebrate the holidays, and how are their celebrations affected by the war?
Essay Topic 2
To what extent is this merely a story of Piri's self-discovery, in which she learned to pay attention to her own impressions and acquired a knowledge of adult facts like injustice and suffering and the relativity of human ideas? How much is Piri the subject of her own memoir? What other topics compete with herself?
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)