|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Mother and Piri hear were likely in the procession somewhere?
2. What did the family name the goat?
3. Who was NOT part of Piri's gang of friends?
4. How does Piri characterize the German invasion of Hungary?
5. Iboya volunteered for _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the trip mother took on Manci's behalf.
2. What message did Mother get from Lajos' parents?
3. Where were the Jews concentrated by the Germans?
4. What happened to Dr. Feher?
5. How did life in the ghetto affect Mother?
6. Describe the family's purchase of a goat.
7. How did Piri's schooling change as a result of the Germans' policies?
8. Describe the family's departure for the ghetto.
9. How did the incident with Lilli change Piri's mother?
10. Why was Mother upset with Piri over Dr. Feher's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the experiences described in 'Upon the Head of a Goat', would you send your children away from your home at the first scent of trouble, or would you keep them with you, in hoped that conditions would improve? When would you try to find them safer places? How would you endure the separation?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch with passages from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How does Piri handle the fact that her parents were repeatedly asked to send her away from the war, but did not--and paid the price with their own lives? How does Piri overcome the guilt that comes with having survived something the others did not? Even if the guilt is not explicitly mentioned, if you guess that it's there, how does it change your reading of the memoir?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)