|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What special allowance did the family have to make to keep the goat?
2. What changed for Piri and Iboya when the Germans took over Hungary?
3. What did Mother try to do?
4. Where did Piri go to school after being expelled?
5. How did Dr. Feher get involved with the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the family's departure for the ghetto.
2. Why did Piri and Iboya end up running the household themselves?
3. Where were the Jews concentrated by the Germans?
4. What happened to Dr. Feher?
5. Describe the Zionist meetings Piri attended.
6. What upset Piri's mother in Chapter 12?
7. What were the family's options for escaping after Lujza's death?
8. Describe the conditions at the ghetto.
9. Describe the group of children with whom Piri spent her time.
10. How did the political scene change in Hungary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Two characters, Lujza and Dr. Feher, commit suicide rather than face the horrific nature of the times. What separates the characters who endure and the characters who fold? How does Siegal address this difference? Using examples from the text, describe the difference between survivors and the people who killed themselves.
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate your own reading of 'Upon the Head of a Goat'--did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 3
That are the most important, or prevalent symbols or metaphors in 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? The notion of the sacrificial animal is introduced at the beginning, but what other imagery or motifs does Siegal employ in 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? How does she add to the meaning of the book with symbolic associations?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)