|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lilli decide to give up?
2. What did Iboya confess about Mr. Schwartz?
3. What did Mother received from Lajos' parents?
4. What did Mother return from doing, at the beginning of Chapter 17?
5. What did Mother have to wait for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Piri's schooling change as a result of the Germans' policies?
2. Describe the conditions at the ghetto.
3. How did the incident with Lilli change Piri's mother?
4. What message did Mother get from Lajos' parents?
5. Where would Iboya spend time outside the house?
6. Describe the group of children with whom Piri spent her time.
7. Describe the ultimatum the Germans issued to the Jewish community.
8. What news did Mother get of Lilli, Lajos, and Manci after her trip?
9. What upset Piri's mother in Chapter 12?
10. Describe the family's purchase of a goat.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'Upon the Head of a Goat' is obviously a coming of age tale. To what extent is Piri initiated into the world of the Holocaust, and to what extent is she initiated into the world of her family? What lessons is Piri learning throughout 'Upon the Head of a Goat', and what is the sphere where they are meant to be meaningful?
Essay Topic 2
Write an evaluative review of 'Upon the Head of a Goat'. What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 3
Based on the experiences described in 'Upon the Head of a Goat', would you send your children away from your home at the first scent of trouble, or would you keep them with you, in hoped that conditions would improve? When would you try to find them safer places? How would you endure the separation?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)