|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Piri and her friends spend a lot of their time?
2. What does the family learn at the end of Chapter 11?
3. How had Lilli and Lajos been sent away?
4. What did Mother have to wait for?
5. What was the ultimatum the German soldiers gave Mr. Hirsch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What upset Piri's mother in Chapter 12?
2. Describe Piri's development into womanhood.
3. What happened to Dr. Feher?
4. Describe the Zionist meetings Piri attended.
5. Describe Mother's preparation for the mission regarding Manci.
6. Where were the Jews concentrated by the Germans?
7. How did the family handle Lujza's death?
8. How did Piri's schooling change as a result of the Germans' policies?
9. How did the incident with Lilli change Piri's mother?
10. What message did Mother get from Lajos' parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the calendar of Jewish and Christian holidays give structure to 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? How does Piri's family celebrate the holidays, and how are their celebrations affected by the war?
Essay Topic 2
'Upon the Head of a Goat' is obviously a coming of age tale. To what extent is Piri initiated into the world of the Holocaust, and to what extent is she initiated into the world of her family? What lessons is Piri learning throughout 'Upon the Head of a Goat', and what is the sphere where they are meant to be meaningful?
Essay Topic 3
That are the most important, or prevalent symbols or metaphors in 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? The notion of the sacrificial animal is introduced at the beginning, but what other imagery or motifs does Siegal employ in 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? How does she add to the meaning of the book with symbolic associations?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)