|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mother find in her travels?
2. What was Mother's aim in buying a goat?
3. Why did Mother leave the city?
4. Where did Mother go to look for Manci?
5. What did the family name the goat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Mother upset with Piri over Dr. Feher's death?
2. How did Piri's schooling change as a result of the Germans' policies?
3. Describe the group of children with whom Piri spent her time.
4. Where were the Jews concentrated by the Germans?
5. Where would Iboya spend time outside the house?
6. How did Iboya's work affect the family?
7. How did the political scene change in Hungary?
8. What upset Piri's mother in Chapter 12?
9. Describe the family's purchase of a goat.
10. Describe the conditions at the ghetto.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
That are the most important, or prevalent symbols or metaphors in 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? The notion of the sacrificial animal is introduced at the beginning, but what other imagery or motifs does Siegal employ in 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? How does she add to the meaning of the book with symbolic associations?
Essay Topic 2
For writers like Kafka, the absurdity and insanity of the concentration camp became a metaphor for the modern world as a whole. He barely survived in it. How does Siegal portray the insanity of the times? What philosophy does she develop that lets her keep going? How does Siegal define the different and the different temperaments that took the events in stride or broke beneath them?
Essay Topic 3
In Piri's account, what is the cause of the Holocaust that killed 11 million people? Was it simply Anti-Semitism, or does she attribute her family's experiences to other cultural phenomena? How important is it for her to find causes, anyway? If finding causes is not important to her, what is more important? Bearing witness? Testifying? Externalizing the experience?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)