|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did mother argue for at the ghetto?
2. What did Mother do to take care of her family?
3. Where did Piri have her first kiss?
4. Where did Mr. Schwartz offer Iboya work?
5. What happened to Dr. Feher?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Dr. Feher?
2. Describe the family's purchase of a goat.
3. What upset Piri's mother in Chapter 12?
4. Describe Mother's preparation for the mission regarding Manci.
5. What news did Mother get of Lilli, Lajos, and Manci after her trip?
6. Describe the circumstances of Lujza's death.
7. Describe the Zionist meetings Piri attended.
8. What were the family's options for escaping after Lujza's death?
9. Why did Piri and Iboya end up running the household themselves?
10. How did Iboya's work affect the family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Piri handle the fact that her parents were repeatedly asked to send her away from the war, but did not--and paid the price with their own lives? How does Piri overcome the guilt that comes with having survived something the others did not? Even if the guilt is not explicitly mentioned, if you guess that it's there, how does it change your reading of the memoir?
Essay Topic 2
How does Siegal distinguish the memoir genre from the novel? How is 'Upon the Head of a Goat' literary in spite of itself? What novelistic features does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' have (allusions, foreshadowing, symbols, plotting) and how does Siegal make attempts to keep the writing real and urgent and true to life?
Essay Topic 3
Does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' have a moral, and if so, what is it? How is it conveyed? How is it arrived at, in a narrative that provides contrary views and values?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)