|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Mr. Shuster?
2. How did this change things for Piri's family?
3. How does Piri characterize the family's Passover dinner?
4. Whom did Mother and Piri hear were likely in the procession somewhere?
5. What were the hours of the curfew for Jews?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mother's preparation for the mission regarding Manci.
2. How did the family handle Lujza's death?
3. How did Iboya's work affect the family?
4. How did the political scene change in Hungary?
5. Where did Iboya get work?
6. Describe Piri's development into womanhood.
7. Describe the Zionist meetings Piri attended.
8. How did the incident with Lilli change Piri's mother?
9. Describe the ultimatum the Germans issued to the Jewish community.
10. Describe the trip mother took on Manci's behalf.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 2
For writers like Kafka, the absurdity and insanity of the concentration camp became a metaphor for the modern world as a whole. He barely survived in it. How does Siegal portray the insanity of the times? What philosophy does she develop that lets her keep going? How does Siegal define the different and the different temperaments that took the events in stride or broke beneath them?
Essay Topic 3
How does the calendar of Jewish and Christian holidays give structure to 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? How does Piri's family celebrate the holidays, and how are their celebrations affected by the war?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)