|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Mother's response to Uncle Sanyi?
2. Which country's lead does Piri say Hungary followed in instituting strict Anti-Semite laws?
3. Who was NOT part of Piri's gang of friends?
4. Who told Mother that Dr. Feher was dead?
5. Why did Mr. Shuster oppose Mother's plans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where would Iboya spend time outside the house?
2. Describe the ultimatum the Germans issued to the Jewish community.
3. How did Piri's schooling change as a result of the Germans' policies?
4. Why was Mother upset with Piri over Dr. Feher's death?
5. How did the incident with Lilli change Piri's mother?
6. Why did Piri and Iboya end up running the household themselves?
7. How did the political scene change in Hungary?
8. Where were the Jews concentrated by the Germans?
9. How did life in the ghetto affect Mother?
10. Describe the Zionist meetings Piri attended.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For writers like Kafka, the absurdity and insanity of the concentration camp became a metaphor for the modern world as a whole. He barely survived in it. How does Siegal portray the insanity of the times? What philosophy does she develop that lets her keep going? How does Siegal define the different and the different temperaments that took the events in stride or broke beneath them?
Essay Topic 2
Write an evaluative review of 'Upon the Head of a Goat'. What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 3
Based on the experiences described in 'Upon the Head of a Goat', would you send your children away from your home at the first scent of trouble, or would you keep them with you, in hoped that conditions would improve? When would you try to find them safer places? How would you endure the separation?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)