|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plans were made at the places Iboya went in secret?
2. Why did Mr. Shuster oppose Mother's plans?
3. What was disturbing to this visitor?
4. How did Dr. Feher get involved with the family?
5. What changed for Piri and Iboya when the Germans took over Hungary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conditions at the ghetto.
2. Where were the Jews concentrated by the Germans?
3. Describe the circumstances of Lujza's death.
4. Describe Piri's development into womanhood.
5. What happened to Dr. Feher?
6. What news did Mother get of Lilli, Lajos, and Manci after her trip?
7. What were the family's options for escaping after Lujza's death?
8. What message did Mother get from Lajos' parents?
9. How did Iboya's work affect the family?
10. Describe the ultimatum the Germans issued to the Jewish community.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Siegal distinguish the memoir genre from the novel? How is 'Upon the Head of a Goat' literary in spite of itself? What novelistic features does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' have (allusions, foreshadowing, symbols, plotting) and how does Siegal make attempts to keep the writing real and urgent and true to life?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch with passages from the book.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)