|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Gari Weiss?
2. How does Piri describe the conditions at the ghetto?
3. What did Piri and Iboya find when they went to the provision center?
4. What does the family learn at the end of Chapter 11?
5. What was the ultimatum the German soldiers gave Mr. Hirsch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Piri and Iboya end up running the household themselves?
2. How did the family handle Lujza's death?
3. What happened to Dr. Feher?
4. What upset Piri's mother in Chapter 12?
5. How did Iboya's work affect the family?
6. Describe the ultimatum the Germans issued to the Jewish community.
7. What message did Mother get from Lajos' parents?
8. Describe the circumstances of Lujza's death.
9. Describe the family's purchase of a goat.
10. How did Piri's schooling change as a result of the Germans' policies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch with passages from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
That are the most important, or prevalent symbols or metaphors in 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? The notion of the sacrificial animal is introduced at the beginning, but what other imagery or motifs does Siegal employ in 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? How does she add to the meaning of the book with symbolic associations?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)