|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Lilli and Lajos been sent away?
2. Who was visiting the house frequently by this time?
3. What did Mother have a talk with Mr. Schwartz about?
4. How did this change things for Piri's family?
5. What did Lilli decide to give up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What message did Mother get from Lajos' parents?
2. Describe the family's departure for the ghetto.
3. Where would Iboya spend time outside the house?
4. How did the family handle Lujza's death?
5. Describe the conditions at the ghetto.
6. Where did Iboya get work?
7. Where were the Jews concentrated by the Germans?
8. How did the incident with Lilli change Piri's mother?
9. What were the family's options for escaping after Lujza's death?
10. What happened to Dr. Feher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Memoirs like Elie Wiesel's Night, or Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's 'Day in the Live of Ivan Denisovich' detail the goings on inside of concentration camps. This memoir stops at the moment when those stories would have begun. How does this ending point affect the shape of Siegal's narrative? Is there a tension between the memoir as a recollection of childhood, and a recollection of a horrific experience? How does Siegal both include and avoid the experience of the concentration camp itself?
Essay Topic 2
Piri's mother is the hero of the book, as she gives without thinking of herself, and her only selfishness is the early decision to keep the family together. How does Piri reflect the influence of her mother, her grandmother, and Babi? Who else exerted a strong influence on Piri so that her writing and her description of herself reflect it?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of the scapegoat as Mr. Shuster describes it gives the goat a ritual importance--what other rituals take place in the book, and how are sins--or blessings--transferred into or out of the community?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)