|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news did Mother get of Lilli, Lajos and Manci?
2. What did the family know was coming?
3. Which country's lead does Piri say Hungary followed in instituting strict Anti-Semite laws?
4. Where have the German soldiers ordered Mother to take them?
5. What traveled in front of the family home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What upset Piri's mother in Chapter 12?
2. How did Piri's schooling change as a result of the Germans' policies?
3. What happened to Dr. Feher?
4. Where would Iboya spend time outside the house?
5. Where were the Jews concentrated by the Germans?
6. Why was Mother upset with Piri over Dr. Feher's death?
7. Describe the family's purchase of a goat.
8. What news did Mother get of Lilli, Lajos, and Manci after her trip?
9. Describe Mother's preparation for the mission regarding Manci.
10. How did the political scene change in Hungary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the experiences described in 'Upon the Head of a Goat', would you send your children away from your home at the first scent of trouble, or would you keep them with you, in hoped that conditions would improve? When would you try to find them safer places? How would you endure the separation?
Essay Topic 2
To what extent is this merely a story of Piri's self-discovery, in which she learned to pay attention to her own impressions and acquired a knowledge of adult facts like injustice and suffering and the relativity of human ideas? How much is Piri the subject of her own memoir? What other topics compete with herself?
Essay Topic 3
For writers like Kafka, the absurdity and insanity of the concentration camp became a metaphor for the modern world as a whole. He barely survived in it. How does Siegal portray the insanity of the times? What philosophy does she develop that lets her keep going? How does Siegal define the different and the different temperaments that took the events in stride or broke beneath them?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)