|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Piri mad at Iboya, now that Iboya was working?
2. What did Mother tell Piri?
3. Who was Mr. Shuster?
4. Why was Mother upset in the beginning of chapter 12?
5. What did Mother blame herself for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the family handle Lujza's death?
2. How did the political scene change in Hungary?
3. Describe the ultimatum the Germans issued to the Jewish community.
4. Describe Piri's development into womanhood.
5. Describe the conditions at the ghetto.
6. Describe Mother's preparation for the mission regarding Manci.
7. Describe the circumstances of Lujza's death.
8. Describe the trip mother took on Manci's behalf.
9. Where were the Jews concentrated by the Germans?
10. Describe the family's departure for the ghetto.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Would you recommend 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? For what purposes would you recommend 'Upon the Head of a Goat', and what kinds of readers would you not recommend it? What book would you recommend that would cover the same material or provide the same emotional experience in a different way?
Essay Topic 2
'Upon the Head of a Goat' is obviously a coming of age tale. To what extent is Piri initiated into the world of the Holocaust, and to what extent is she initiated into the world of her family? What lessons is Piri learning throughout 'Upon the Head of a Goat', and what is the sphere where they are meant to be meaningful?
Essay Topic 3
Two characters, Lujza and Dr. Feher, commit suicide rather than face the horrific nature of the times. What separates the characters who endure and the characters who fold? How does Siegal address this difference? Using examples from the text, describe the difference between survivors and the people who killed themselves.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)