|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Mr. Schwartz' response to Mother?
2. What did Mother do to take care of her family?
3. Who took Piri's goat away?
4. What traveled in front of the family home?
5. What changed for Piri and Iboya when the Germans took over Hungary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mother's preparation for the mission regarding Manci.
2. Describe the ultimatum the Germans issued to the Jewish community.
3. Why did Piri and Iboya end up running the household themselves?
4. What message did Mother get from Lajos' parents?
5. Describe the group of children with whom Piri spent her time.
6. What news did Mother get of Lilli, Lajos, and Manci after her trip?
7. What upset Piri's mother in Chapter 12?
8. How did the family handle Lujza's death?
9. Describe Piri's development into womanhood.
10. Where were the Jews concentrated by the Germans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate your own reading of 'Upon the Head of a Goat'--did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 2
Does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' have a moral, and if so, what is it? How is it conveyed? How is it arrived at, in a narrative that provides contrary views and values?
Essay Topic 3
Would you recommend 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? For what purposes would you recommend 'Upon the Head of a Goat', and what kinds of readers would you not recommend it? What book would you recommend that would cover the same material or provide the same emotional experience in a different way?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)