|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Mother's aim in buying a goat?
2. What did the family know was coming?
3. Why was Mother upset in the beginning of chapter 12?
4. Who told Mother that Dr. Feher was dead?
5. What news did Mother get of Lilli, Lajos and Manci?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Piri's schooling change as a result of the Germans' policies?
2. What happened to Dr. Feher?
3. Why was Mother upset with Piri over Dr. Feher's death?
4. What news did Mother get of Lilli, Lajos, and Manci after her trip?
5. Describe the group of children with whom Piri spent her time.
6. Where were the Jews concentrated by the Germans?
7. Describe the trip mother took on Manci's behalf.
8. Describe Piri's development into womanhood.
9. How did the family handle Lujza's death?
10. What upset Piri's mother in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch with passages from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' have a moral, and if so, what is it? How is it conveyed? How is it arrived at, in a narrative that provides contrary views and values?
Essay Topic 3
Piri's mother is the hero of the book, as she gives without thinking of herself, and her only selfishness is the early decision to keep the family together. How does Piri reflect the influence of her mother, her grandmother, and Babi? Who else exerted a strong influence on Piri so that her writing and her description of herself reflect it?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)