|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mother have to wait for?
2. Where did Piri have her first kiss?
3. Why did Mr. Shuster oppose Mother's plans?
4. What was Mother's aim in buying a goat?
5. What did the family name the goat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news did Mother get of Lilli, Lajos, and Manci after her trip?
2. Describe Piri's development into womanhood.
3. What message did Mother get from Lajos' parents?
4. Why did Piri and Iboya end up running the household themselves?
5. Describe the family's departure for the ghetto.
6. Describe Mother's preparation for the mission regarding Manci.
7. How did the political scene change in Hungary?
8. How did Piri's schooling change as a result of the Germans' policies?
9. How did life in the ghetto affect Mother?
10. What upset Piri's mother in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of the scapegoat as Mr. Shuster describes it gives the goat a ritual importance--what other rituals take place in the book, and how are sins--or blessings--transferred into or out of the community?
Essay Topic 2
Would you recommend 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? For what purposes would you recommend 'Upon the Head of a Goat', and what kinds of readers would you not recommend it? What book would you recommend that would cover the same material or provide the same emotional experience in a different way?
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)