|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news did Mother get of Lilli, Lajos and Manci?
2. Lajos was accused of ____________.
3. What did Mother find in her travels?
4. What was Mother's aim in buying a goat?
5. How did this change things for Piri's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news did Mother get of Lilli, Lajos, and Manci after her trip?
2. How did the incident with Lilli change Piri's mother?
3. How did the political scene change in Hungary?
4. How did life in the ghetto affect Mother?
5. Describe the Zionist meetings Piri attended.
6. Where were the Jews concentrated by the Germans?
7. How did Piri's schooling change as a result of the Germans' policies?
8. Describe the conditions at the ghetto.
9. Describe Mother's preparation for the mission regarding Manci.
10. What upset Piri's mother in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the calendar of Jewish and Christian holidays give structure to 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? How does Piri's family celebrate the holidays, and how are their celebrations affected by the war?
Essay Topic 2
For writers like Kafka, the absurdity and insanity of the concentration camp became a metaphor for the modern world as a whole. He barely survived in it. How does Siegal portray the insanity of the times? What philosophy does she develop that lets her keep going? How does Siegal define the different and the different temperaments that took the events in stride or broke beneath them?
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)