|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mother do for Dr. Feher?
2. Why did Manci need to be picked up?
3. Why did Mother leave the city?
4. What was Mother's aim in buying a goat?
5. How did Mother change after her trip outside the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the family's departure for the ghetto.
2. Where were the Jews concentrated by the Germans?
3. How did the political scene change in Hungary?
4. Describe the family's purchase of a goat.
5. What news did Mother get of Lilli, Lajos, and Manci after her trip?
6. What happened to Dr. Feher?
7. How did Iboya's work affect the family?
8. Where did Iboya get work?
9. How did the family handle Lujza's death?
10. Describe the conditions at the ghetto.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an evaluative review of 'Upon the Head of a Goat'. What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch with passages from the book.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)