|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Piri describe the conditions at the ghetto?
2. Where was Iboya when the Germans came?
3. Who was Gari Weiss?
4. What did Mother do for Dr. Feher?
5. Where had Lilli and Lajos been hiding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mother's preparation for the mission regarding Manci.
2. Describe the Zionist meetings Piri attended.
3. Describe the family's purchase of a goat.
4. Where did Iboya get work?
5. How did Iboya's work affect the family?
6. What news did Mother get of Lilli, Lajos, and Manci after her trip?
7. Why was Mother upset with Piri over Dr. Feher's death?
8. What upset Piri's mother in Chapter 12?
9. What message did Mother get from Lajos' parents?
10. Describe the ultimatum the Germans issued to the Jewish community.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch with passages from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' have a moral, and if so, what is it? How is it conveyed? How is it arrived at, in a narrative that provides contrary views and values?
Essay Topic 3
To what extent is this merely a story of Piri's self-discovery, in which she learned to pay attention to her own impressions and acquired a knowledge of adult facts like injustice and suffering and the relativity of human ideas? How much is Piri the subject of her own memoir? What other topics compete with herself?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)