Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Shimi Stern?
2. What was Piri's baby sister named?
3. What happened when the boys chased Piri and Iboya?
4. What happened when Farenc and reaction saw each other the first time?
5. Where were Father and Lajos at the beginning of Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Piri and Iboya's encounter with the armed young men.
2. Describe the Zionist meetings Piri attended.
3. Describe the ultimatum the Germans issued to the Jewish community.
4. What message did Mother get from Lajos' parents?
5. Describe Piri's parents' visit to Komjaty.
6. How did Piri get food and supplies in Beregszasz?
7. How did the political scene change in Hungary?
8. What happened when Piri's mother inquired into sending the girls to America?
9. How did Piri's schooling change as a result of the Germans' policies?
10. What upset Piri's mother in Chapter 12?
Essay Topic 1
Based on the experiences described in 'Upon the Head of a Goat', would you send your children away from your home at the first scent of trouble, or would you keep them with you, in hoped that conditions would improve? When would you try to find them safer places? How would you endure the separation?
Essay Topic 2
Would you recommend 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? For what purposes would you recommend 'Upon the Head of a Goat', and what kinds of readers would you not recommend it? What book would you recommend that would cover the same material or provide the same emotional experience in a different way?
Essay Topic 3
In Piri's account, what is the cause of the Holocaust that killed 11 million people? Was it simply Anti-Semitism, or does she attribute her family's experiences to other cultural phenomena? How important is it for her to find causes, anyway? If finding causes is not important to her, what is more important? Bearing witness? Testifying? Externalizing the experience?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)