|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Piri soothed after she saw frightening things?
2. What happened when Farenc and reaction saw each other the first time?
3. What did the woman find in the place Mother took her to?
4. Who went back with Mother after the holiday?
5. What does Farenc suggest in addition to what Piri told him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was strange to Piri about Babi's distrust?
2. Describe the woman mother helped.
3. Where does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' begin?
4. What were the children doing when Piri entered fifth grade?
5. What did Farenc say about Babi's desire to ship the children to America?
6. Describe the family's Hanukkah.
7. Describe Father's visit home.
8. What political event ends Chapter 8?
9. How did current events affect the Passover holiday?
10. Discuss Farenc's return to Babi's farm.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'Upon the Head of a Goat' is obviously a coming of age tale. To what extent is Piri initiated into the world of the Holocaust, and to what extent is she initiated into the world of her family? What lessons is Piri learning throughout 'Upon the Head of a Goat', and what is the sphere where they are meant to be meaningful?
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
The idea of the scapegoat as Mr. Shuster describes it gives the goat a ritual importance--what other rituals take place in the book, and how are sins--or blessings--transferred into or out of the community?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)