|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Piri tell Farenc during the visit in Chapter 5?
2. What did Piri know about the political situation in 1939?
3. Who is Molcha?
4. What did Rozsi say in her letters home?
5. Where did Mother take the woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Father's visit home.
2. Describe Piri's departure from Komjaty.
3. Describe Piri's return to Beregszasz.
4. Why did Farenc agree to help Piri and her family?
5. Where does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' begin?
6. Describe the woman mother helped.
7. Why did Piri's mother express concern over Rozsi?
8. Describe the family's Hanukkah.
9. What bad news did Farenc deliver during one visit?
10. Why did Babi distrust Farenc?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 2
The idea of the scapegoat as Mr. Shuster describes it gives the goat a ritual importance--what other rituals take place in the book, and how are sins--or blessings--transferred into or out of the community?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch with passages from the book.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)