Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Shimi Stern?
2. What was Piri's baby sister named?
3. What happened when the boys chased Piri and Iboya?
4. What happened when Farenc and reaction saw each other the first time?
5. Where were Father and Lajos at the beginning of Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Piri and Iboya's encounter with the armed young men.
2. Describe the Zionist meetings Piri attended.
3. Describe the ultimatum the Germans issued to the Jewish community.
4. What message did Mother get from Lajos' parents?
5. Describe Piri's parents' visit to Komjaty.
6. How did Piri get food and supplies in Beregszasz?
7. How did the political scene change in Hungary?
8. What happened when Piri's mother inquired into sending the girls to America?
9. How did Piri's schooling change as a result of the Germans' policies?
10. What upset Piri's mother in Chapter 12?
For writers like Kafka, the absurdity and insanity of the concentration camp became a metaphor for the modern world as a whole. He barely survived in it. How does Siegal portray the insanity of the times? What philosophy does she develop that lets her keep going? How does Siegal define the different and the different temperaments that took the events in stride or broke beneath them?
The idea of the scapegoat as Mr. Shuster describes it gives the goat a ritual importance--what other rituals take place in the book, and how are sins--or blessings--transferred into or out of the community?
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)