|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Mother's connection to Mrs. Gerber?
2. What political alliance took place at the end of Chapter 9?
3. Why was the narrator sent to Komjaty?
4. How long did Mother and Mrs. Gerber wait without seeing their husbands?
5. What had Mother failed to do when she came home at the beginning of Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Piri's parents' visit to Komjaty.
2. What bad news did Farenc deliver during one visit?
3. Describe Father's visit home.
4. Where does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' begin?
5. What did Farenc say about Babi's desire to ship the children to America?
6. Describe Piri's return to Beregszasz.
7. Describe Piri's family's friendship with Mrs. Gerber.
8. What conflict does Piri witness?
9. Describe Piri and Iboya's encounter with the armed young men.
10. Describe the family's Hanukkah.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
That are the most important, or prevalent symbols or metaphors in 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? The notion of the sacrificial animal is introduced at the beginning, but what other imagery or motifs does Siegal employ in 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? How does she add to the meaning of the book with symbolic associations?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
Would you recommend 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? For what purposes would you recommend 'Upon the Head of a Goat', and what kinds of readers would you not recommend it? What book would you recommend that would cover the same material or provide the same emotional experience in a different way?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)