|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Farenc riding when Piri met him?
2. How was Piri soothed after she saw frightening things?
3. What had Babi done to help Mother make this attempt?
4. What does Farenc suggest in addition to what Piri told him?
5. What was Mother's response to this incident?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Beregszasz change for Piri's family?
2. What news did Piri get from Lilli?
3. Describe Piri's parents' visit to Komjaty.
4. Describe Piri's family's friendship with Mrs. Gerber.
5. Where does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' begin?
6. How did current events affect the Passover holiday?
7. Describe Piri's return to Beregszasz.
8. Discuss Farenc's return to Babi's farm.
9. What did Farenc say about Babi's desire to ship the children to America?
10. Why did Piri's mother express concern over Rozsi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent is this merely a story of Piri's self-discovery, in which she learned to pay attention to her own impressions and acquired a knowledge of adult facts like injustice and suffering and the relativity of human ideas? How much is Piri the subject of her own memoir? What other topics compete with herself?
Essay Topic 2
How does Siegal distinguish the memoir genre from the novel? How is 'Upon the Head of a Goat' literary in spite of itself? What novelistic features does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' have (allusions, foreshadowing, symbols, plotting) and how does Siegal make attempts to keep the writing real and urgent and true to life?
Essay Topic 3
Write an evaluative review of 'Upon the Head of a Goat'. What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)