|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what voice is 'Upon the Head of A Goat' narrated?
2. What made Piri ill?
3. Who is Farenc?
4. What did Piri tell Farenc during the visit in Chapter 5?
5. What did Piri get to do when she arrived in Beregszasz?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Farenc agree to help Piri and her family?
2. How did Piri get food and supplies in Beregszasz?
3. How did Piri communicate with her family in Beregszasz?
4. Where does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' begin?
5. Why did Babi distrust Farenc?
6. What did Piri learn from the letter that came from her parents in Beregszasz?
7. How did Beregszasz change for Piri's family?
8. What conflict does Piri witness?
9. What did Farenc say about Babi's desire to ship the children to America?
10. Discuss Farenc's return to Babi's farm.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate your own reading of 'Upon the Head of a Goat'--did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 2
The idea of the scapegoat as Mr. Shuster describes it gives the goat a ritual importance--what other rituals take place in the book, and how are sins--or blessings--transferred into or out of the community?
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)