|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Piri ill?
2. What did Piri get to do when she arrived in Beregszasz?
3. How does Piri characterize her adjustment to life in Beregszasz?
4. When did Babi hear that Piri's parents were coming?
5. What did Mother do as soon as she got Piri home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Zionist meetings Piri attended.
2. How did current events affect the Passover holiday?
3. Describe Mother's preparation for the mission regarding Manci.
4. Describe the trip mother took on Manci's behalf.
5. Describe the family's departure for the ghetto.
6. What did Babi want Mother and Father to do with the children, and what was Mother's response?
7. Describe the family's purchase of a goat.
8. How did the political scene change in Hungary?
9. How did Piri's mother react to this encounter with the group of boys?
10. How did Iboya's work affect the family?
Essay Topic 1
'Upon the Head of a Goat' is obviously a coming of age tale. To what extent is Piri initiated into the world of the Holocaust, and to what extent is she initiated into the world of her family? What lessons is Piri learning throughout 'Upon the Head of a Goat', and what is the sphere where they are meant to be meaningful?
Essay Topic 2
Would you recommend 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? For what purposes would you recommend 'Upon the Head of a Goat', and what kinds of readers would you not recommend it? What book would you recommend that would cover the same material or provide the same emotional experience in a different way?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of the scapegoat as Mr. Shuster describes it gives the goat a ritual importance--what other rituals take place in the book, and how are sins--or blessings--transferred into or out of the community?
This section contains 1,659 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)