|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Farenc help Piri?
2. What did Mother do as soon as she got Piri home?
3. What did Piri's disappointment tell her about the larger culture?
4. How does Piri say the school routine changed in 1941?
5. What had Babi done to help Mother make this attempt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Farenc's return to Babi's farm.
2. How did Piri's mother react to this encounter with the group of boys?
3. What did Piri learn from the letter that came from her parents in Beregszasz?
4. Describe Piri's return to Beregszasz.
5. Where does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' begin?
6. Describe Piri and Iboya's encounter with the armed young men.
7. What news did Piri get from Lilli?
8. Describe Father's visit home.
9. How did Beregszasz change for Piri's family?
10. What political event ends Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Piri handle the fact that her parents were repeatedly asked to send her away from the war, but did not--and paid the price with their own lives? How does Piri overcome the guilt that comes with having survived something the others did not? Even if the guilt is not explicitly mentioned, if you guess that it's there, how does it change your reading of the memoir?
Essay Topic 2
Write an evaluative review of 'Upon the Head of a Goat'. What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 3
How does Siegal distinguish the memoir genre from the novel? How is 'Upon the Head of a Goat' literary in spite of itself? What novelistic features does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' have (allusions, foreshadowing, symbols, plotting) and how does Siegal make attempts to keep the writing real and urgent and true to life?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)