|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Piri say the school routine changed in 1941?
2. What did Piri expect her future to look like?
3. Where was the woman from?
4. What did Piri get to do when she arrived in Beregszasz?
5. When was Father's battalion going to come through Beregszasz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Father expect to happen after his battalion passed through Beregszasz?
2. What political event ends Chapter 8?
3. Why did Babi distrust Farenc?
4. What happened when Piri's mother inquired into sending the girls to America?
5. Where does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' begin?
6. Describe the family's Hanukkah.
7. What bad news did Farenc deliver during one visit?
8. What conflict does Piri witness?
9. Describe the woman mother helped.
10. How did Piri communicate with her family in Beregszasz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For writers like Kafka, the absurdity and insanity of the concentration camp became a metaphor for the modern world as a whole. He barely survived in it. How does Siegal portray the insanity of the times? What philosophy does she develop that lets her keep going? How does Siegal define the different and the different temperaments that took the events in stride or broke beneath them?
Essay Topic 2
'Upon the Head of a Goat' is obviously a coming of age tale. To what extent is Piri initiated into the world of the Holocaust, and to what extent is she initiated into the world of her family? What lessons is Piri learning throughout 'Upon the Head of a Goat', and what is the sphere where they are meant to be meaningful?
Essay Topic 3
Write an evaluative review of 'Upon the Head of a Goat'. What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)