|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Piri's father say people treat him?
2. Who is the narrator?
3. What had Babi done to help Mother make this attempt?
4. What made Piri ill?
5. What was Farenc riding when Piri met him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What political event ends Chapter 8?
2. What news did Piri get from Lilli?
3. What bad news did Farenc deliver during one visit?
4. Describe Piri's return to Beregszasz.
5. How did Piri communicate with her family in Beregszasz?
6. Where does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' begin?
7. What conflict does Piri witness?
8. How did Piri get food and supplies in Beregszasz?
9. Describe Father's visit home.
10. Describe the woman mother helped.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' have a moral, and if so, what is it? How is it conveyed? How is it arrived at, in a narrative that provides contrary views and values?
Essay Topic 2
How does Siegal distinguish the memoir genre from the novel? How is 'Upon the Head of a Goat' literary in spite of itself? What novelistic features does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' have (allusions, foreshadowing, symbols, plotting) and how does Siegal make attempts to keep the writing real and urgent and true to life?
Essay Topic 3
In Piri's account, what is the cause of the Holocaust that killed 11 million people? Was it simply Anti-Semitism, or does she attribute her family's experiences to other cultural phenomena? How important is it for her to find causes, anyway? If finding causes is not important to her, what is more important? Bearing witness? Testifying? Externalizing the experience?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)