Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Shimi Stern?
2. What was Piri's baby sister named?
3. What happened when the boys chased Piri and Iboya?
4. What happened when Farenc and reaction saw each other the first time?
5. Where were Father and Lajos at the beginning of Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Piri and Iboya's encounter with the armed young men.
2. Describe the Zionist meetings Piri attended.
3. Describe the ultimatum the Germans issued to the Jewish community.
4. What message did Mother get from Lajos' parents?
5. Describe Piri's parents' visit to Komjaty.
6. How did Piri get food and supplies in Beregszasz?
7. How did the political scene change in Hungary?
8. What happened when Piri's mother inquired into sending the girls to America?
9. How did Piri's schooling change as a result of the Germans' policies?
10. What upset Piri's mother in Chapter 12?
The idea of the scapegoat as Mr. Shuster describes it gives the goat a ritual importance--what other rituals take place in the book, and how are sins--or blessings--transferred into or out of the community?
How does Siegal distinguish the memoir genre from the novel? How is 'Upon the Head of a Goat' literary in spite of itself? What novelistic features does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' have (allusions, foreshadowing, symbols, plotting) and how does Siegal make attempts to keep the writing real and urgent and true to life?
Does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' have a moral, and if so, what is it? How is it conveyed? How is it arrived at, in a narrative that provides contrary views and values?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)