|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Christmas disappointed Piri?
2. What did Piri expect her future to look like?
3. How long did Mother and Mrs. Gerber wait without seeing their husbands?
4. What was Mother's response to this incident?
5. To whom did Piri entrust a letter to her parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news did Piri get from Lilli?
2. How did Beregszasz change for Piri's family?
3. What were the children doing when Piri entered fifth grade?
4. Why did Babi distrust Farenc?
5. What happened when Piri's mother inquired into sending the girls to America?
6. What did Piri learn from the letter that came from her parents in Beregszasz?
7. Describe Piri's family's friendship with Mrs. Gerber.
8. Describe the family's Hanukkah.
9. How did Piri communicate with her family in Beregszasz?
10. What did Babi want Mother and Father to do with the children, and what was Mother's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the calendar of Jewish and Christian holidays give structure to 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? How does Piri's family celebrate the holidays, and how are their celebrations affected by the war?
Essay Topic 2
That are the most important, or prevalent symbols or metaphors in 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? The notion of the sacrificial animal is introduced at the beginning, but what other imagery or motifs does Siegal employ in 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? How does she add to the meaning of the book with symbolic associations?
Essay Topic 3
Does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' have a moral, and if so, what is it? How is it conveyed? How is it arrived at, in a narrative that provides contrary views and values?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)