|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rozsi say in her letters home?
2. What was Farenc riding when Piri met him?
3. How was Piri soothed after she saw frightening things?
4. How did Piri's family celebrate Hanukkah?
5. Where was the woman from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Piri's relationship with Farenc.
2. What happened when Piri's mother inquired into sending the girls to America?
3. What were the children doing when Piri entered fifth grade?
4. What did Farenc say about Babi's desire to ship the children to America?
5. How did Piri get food and supplies in Beregszasz?
6. What bad news did Farenc deliver during one visit?
7. Describe the family's Hanukkah.
8. How did current events affect the Passover holiday?
9. Describe the woman mother helped.
10. Where does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Piri handle the fact that her parents were repeatedly asked to send her away from the war, but did not--and paid the price with their own lives? How does Piri overcome the guilt that comes with having survived something the others did not? Even if the guilt is not explicitly mentioned, if you guess that it's there, how does it change your reading of the memoir?
Essay Topic 2
In Piri's account, what is the cause of the Holocaust that killed 11 million people? Was it simply Anti-Semitism, or does she attribute her family's experiences to other cultural phenomena? How important is it for her to find causes, anyway? If finding causes is not important to her, what is more important? Bearing witness? Testifying? Externalizing the experience?
Essay Topic 3
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)