|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rozsi say in her letters home?
2. What did Mother give Piri now that she was in the city?
3. Where were Piri and Iboya when they were nearly attacked?
4. Why wasn't Babi impressed that Piri was a favorite of her teacher?
5. What had Mother failed to do when she came home at the beginning of Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Farenc's return to Babi's farm.
2. What did Babi want Mother and Father to do with the children, and what was Mother's response?
3. What did Piri learn from the letter that came from her parents in Beregszasz?
4. Describe the family's Hanukkah.
5. What did Farenc say about Babi's desire to ship the children to America?
6. What was strange to Piri about Babi's distrust?
7. What conflict does Piri witness?
8. What happened when Piri's mother inquired into sending the girls to America?
9. Describe Piri's family's friendship with Mrs. Gerber.
10. Why did Piri's mother express concern over Rozsi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Two characters, Lujza and Dr. Feher, commit suicide rather than face the horrific nature of the times. What separates the characters who endure and the characters who fold? How does Siegal address this difference? Using examples from the text, describe the difference between survivors and the people who killed themselves.
Essay Topic 2
Write an evaluative review of 'Upon the Head of a Goat'. What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 3
For writers like Kafka, the absurdity and insanity of the concentration camp became a metaphor for the modern world as a whole. He barely survived in it. How does Siegal portray the insanity of the times? What philosophy does she develop that lets her keep going? How does Siegal define the different and the different temperaments that took the events in stride or broke beneath them?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)