|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator?
2. Who is Lajos?
3. When was Father's battalion going to come through Beregszasz?
4. Who comes to the farm a few weeks after Piri's new sister is born?
5. What did Piri overhear when she was in bed after the incident?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the family's options for escaping after Lujza's death?
2. How did current events affect the Passover holiday?
3. Describe Piri's development into womanhood.
4. How did life in the ghetto affect Mother?
5. What was strange to Piri about Babi's distrust?
6. Describe Piri's relationship with Farenc.
7. Discuss Farenc's return to Babi's farm.
8. What happened to Dr. Feher?
9. Where did Iboya get work?
10. Describe the family's departure for the ghetto.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of the scapegoat as Mr. Shuster describes it gives the goat a ritual importance--what other rituals take place in the book, and how are sins--or blessings--transferred into or out of the community?
Essay Topic 2
How does the calendar of Jewish and Christian holidays give structure to 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? How does Piri's family celebrate the holidays, and how are their celebrations affected by the war?
Essay Topic 3
To what extent is this merely a story of Piri's self-discovery, in which she learned to pay attention to her own impressions and acquired a knowledge of adult facts like injustice and suffering and the relativity of human ideas? How much is Piri the subject of her own memoir? What other topics compete with herself?
This section contains 1,574 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)