|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Babi distrust the Hungarians?
2. What did Piri anticipate when this visitor came to the farm?
3. How did Babi prepare for the holiday?
4. Where did Mother and Mrs. Gerber wait for their men?
5. What were Piri's feelings about Hitler?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Mother upset with Piri over Dr. Feher's death?
2. Describe Piri's family's friendship with Mrs. Gerber.
3. Who is Etu, and why did she too survive the Holocaust?
4. What were the children doing when Piri entered fifth grade?
5. Why did Farenc agree to help Piri and her family?
6. What did Farenc say about Babi's desire to ship the children to America?
7. Describe the trip mother took on Manci's behalf.
8. How did Piri's schooling change as a result of the Germans' policies?
9. What was strange to Piri about Babi's distrust?
10. What bad news did Farenc deliver during one visit?
Essay Topic 1
Two characters, Lujza and Dr. Feher, commit suicide rather than face the horrific nature of the times. What separates the characters who endure and the characters who fold? How does Siegal address this difference? Using examples from the text, describe the difference between survivors and the people who killed themselves.
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
Piri's mother is the hero of the book, as she gives without thinking of herself, and her only selfishness is the early decision to keep the family together. How does Piri reflect the influence of her mother, her grandmother, and Babi? Who else exerted a strong influence on Piri so that her writing and her description of herself reflect it?
This section contains 1,537 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)