|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to the farm a few weeks after Piri's new sister is born?
2. What happened when the boys chased Piri and Iboya?
3. What did mother express concern over?
4. What did Piri know about the political situation in 1939?
5. When was Father's battalion going to come through Beregszasz?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Piri's departure from Komjaty.
2. Describe Piri and Iboya's encounter with the armed young men.
3. What were the children doing when Piri entered fifth grade?
4. Describe the woman mother helped.
5. How did Piri communicate with her family in Beregszasz?
6. Describe Piri's parents' visit to Komjaty.
7. What was strange to Piri about Babi's distrust?
8. What news did Piri get from Lilli?
9. What did Babi want Mother and Father to do with the children, and what was Mother's response?
10. Where does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Piri's account, what is the cause of the Holocaust that killed 11 million people? Was it simply Anti-Semitism, or does she attribute her family's experiences to other cultural phenomena? How important is it for her to find causes, anyway? If finding causes is not important to her, what is more important? Bearing witness? Testifying? Externalizing the experience?
Essay Topic 2
How does the calendar of Jewish and Christian holidays give structure to 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? How does Piri's family celebrate the holidays, and how are their celebrations affected by the war?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of the scapegoat as Mr. Shuster describes it gives the goat a ritual importance--what other rituals take place in the book, and how are sins--or blessings--transferred into or out of the community?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)