|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Piri say the school routine changed in 1941?
2. What did Farenc reveal to Piri?
3. Who is Farenc?
4. Who went back with Mother after the holiday?
5. What did Babi ask the girls to do in anticipation of Piri's parents coming?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Piri's return to Beregszasz.
2. What did Piri learn from the letter that came from her parents in Beregszasz?
3. What was strange to Piri about Babi's distrust?
4. What happened when Piri's mother inquired into sending the girls to America?
5. What did Farenc say about Babi's desire to ship the children to America?
6. How did Piri's mother react to this encounter with the group of boys?
7. Describe Piri and Iboya's encounter with the armed young men.
8. What did Babi want Mother and Father to do with the children, and what was Mother's response?
9. Describe the woman mother helped.
10. What conflict does Piri witness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' have a moral, and if so, what is it? How is it conveyed? How is it arrived at, in a narrative that provides contrary views and values?
Essay Topic 2
How does Siegal distinguish the memoir genre from the novel? How is 'Upon the Head of a Goat' literary in spite of itself? What novelistic features does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' have (allusions, foreshadowing, symbols, plotting) and how does Siegal make attempts to keep the writing real and urgent and true to life?
Essay Topic 3
For writers like Kafka, the absurdity and insanity of the concentration camp became a metaphor for the modern world as a whole. He barely survived in it. How does Siegal portray the insanity of the times? What philosophy does she develop that lets her keep going? How does Siegal define the different and the different temperaments that took the events in stride or broke beneath them?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)