|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Molcha?
2. When did Babi hear that Piri's parents were coming?
3. Who comes to the farm a few weeks after Piri's new sister is born?
4. What does Babi beg of Piri's mother?
5. What had Mother failed to do when she came home at the beginning of Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Farenc say about Babi's desire to ship the children to America?
2. Describe Piri and Iboya's encounter with the armed young men.
3. Describe Piri's return to Beregszasz.
4. Describe the family's Hanukkah.
5. How did Piri get food and supplies in Beregszasz?
6. How did Beregszasz change for Piri's family?
7. What were the children doing when Piri entered fifth grade?
8. Describe Piri's departure from Komjaty.
9. Why did Farenc agree to help Piri and her family?
10. What did Piri learn from the letter that came from her parents in Beregszasz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Siegal distinguish the memoir genre from the novel? How is 'Upon the Head of a Goat' literary in spite of itself? What novelistic features does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' have (allusions, foreshadowing, symbols, plotting) and how does Siegal make attempts to keep the writing real and urgent and true to life?
Essay Topic 2
Piri's mother is the hero of the book, as she gives without thinking of herself, and her only selfishness is the early decision to keep the family together. How does Piri reflect the influence of her mother, her grandmother, and Babi? Who else exerted a strong influence on Piri so that her writing and her description of herself reflect it?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of the scapegoat as Mr. Shuster describes it gives the goat a ritual importance--what other rituals take place in the book, and how are sins--or blessings--transferred into or out of the community?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)