|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Farenc sad to tell Piri?
2. Why did Babi distrust the Hungarians?
3. What did Piri see in the river the morning after the battle?
4. Who is the narrator?
5. What was Piri's routine while her father was away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Piri's return to Beregszasz.
2. How did Piri communicate with her family in Beregszasz?
3. Describe Piri's relationship with Farenc.
4. What was strange to Piri about Babi's distrust?
5. What political event ends Chapter 8?
6. Describe Piri's departure from Komjaty.
7. Why did Farenc agree to help Piri and her family?
8. Why did Piri's mother express concern over Rozsi?
9. Describe Piri's family's friendship with Mrs. Gerber.
10. What did Babi want Mother and Father to do with the children, and what was Mother's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For writers like Kafka, the absurdity and insanity of the concentration camp became a metaphor for the modern world as a whole. He barely survived in it. How does Siegal portray the insanity of the times? What philosophy does she develop that lets her keep going? How does Siegal define the different and the different temperaments that took the events in stride or broke beneath them?
Essay Topic 2
Does 'Upon the Head of a Goat' have a moral, and if so, what is it? How is it conveyed? How is it arrived at, in a narrative that provides contrary views and values?
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)