|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did Piri entrust a letter to her parents?
2. What did Piri's disappointment tell her about the larger culture?
3. What festivities did Babi prepare for, in spite of the fact that family wouldn't be able to gather?
4. What did Babi ask the girls to do in anticipation of Piri's parents coming?
5. What did Farenc reveal to Piri?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Piri and Iboya's encounter with the armed young men.
2. Describe the family's Hanukkah.
3. How did current events affect the Passover holiday?
4. What bad news did Farenc deliver during one visit?
5. Describe Piri's return to Beregszasz.
6. Why did Babi distrust Farenc?
7. Describe Piri's departure from Komjaty.
8. Describe Piri's relationship with Farenc.
9. How did Piri communicate with her family in Beregszasz?
10. What did Piri learn from the letter that came from her parents in Beregszasz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Piri's account, what is the cause of the Holocaust that killed 11 million people? Was it simply Anti-Semitism, or does she attribute her family's experiences to other cultural phenomena? How important is it for her to find causes, anyway? If finding causes is not important to her, what is more important? Bearing witness? Testifying? Externalizing the experience?
Essay Topic 2
For writers like Kafka, the absurdity and insanity of the concentration camp became a metaphor for the modern world as a whole. He barely survived in it. How does Siegal portray the insanity of the times? What philosophy does she develop that lets her keep going? How does Siegal define the different and the different temperaments that took the events in stride or broke beneath them?
Essay Topic 3
Write an evaluative review of 'Upon the Head of a Goat'. What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)