|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Shimi Stern?
2. What were conditions like in the woman's home?
3. What did Rozsi say in her letters home?
4. Who went back with Mother after the holiday?
5. To whom did Piri entrust a letter to her parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Piri and Iboya's encounter with the armed young men.
2. What did Father expect to happen after his battalion passed through Beregszasz?
3. Describe Piri's parents' visit to Komjaty.
4. Why did Farenc agree to help Piri and her family?
5. Describe Father's visit home.
6. What happened when Piri's mother inquired into sending the girls to America?
7. What did Piri learn from the letter that came from her parents in Beregszasz?
8. Describe Piri's family's friendship with Mrs. Gerber.
9. How did Piri communicate with her family in Beregszasz?
10. How did Piri's mother react to this encounter with the group of boys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate your own reading of 'Upon the Head of a Goat'--did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 2
How does the calendar of Jewish and Christian holidays give structure to 'Upon the Head of a Goat'? How does Piri's family celebrate the holidays, and how are their celebrations affected by the war?
Essay Topic 3
How does Piri handle the fact that her parents were repeatedly asked to send her away from the war, but did not--and paid the price with their own lives? How does Piri overcome the guilt that comes with having survived something the others did not? Even if the guilt is not explicitly mentioned, if you guess that it's there, how does it change your reading of the memoir?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)