|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Piri know about the political situation in 1939?
(a) She read a story about Jews being rounded up, but didn't understand the big picture.
(b) She followed the papers, and tried to understand everything she could.
(c) She was too young to know anything about the political situation.
(d) She read histories and talked to people who had traveled, to see what they could tell her.
2. What did Piri expect her future to look like?
(a) She thought she would have to marry an officer.
(b) She thought she would join the military.
(c) She thought she would have to flee.
(d) She thought she would work in a factory.
3. How did Piri help Farenc?
(a) She gave him food.
(b) She gave him bandages.
(c) She gave him a ride.
(d) She gave him directions.
4. What festivities did Babi prepare for, in spite of the fact that family wouldn't be able to gather?
(d) Rosh Hashanah.
5. How did Piri hear from her parents?
(a) Her grandfather got a messenger by passenger pigeon.
(b) Her father showed up in Komjaty.
(c) A messenger brought a letter.
(d) Her grandmother got a telegram from her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Piri's mood about school and her future?
2. What does Piri compare to her life in Komjaty?
3. When was Father's battalion going to come through Beregszasz?
4. How did Babi prepare for the holiday?
5. What did the woman find in the place Mother took her to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the incident with Lilli change Piri's mother?
2. What happened when Piri's mother inquired into sending the girls to America?
3. Describe Piri and Iboya's encounter with the armed young men.
4. Describe Piri's return to Beregszasz.
5. How did current events affect the Passover holiday?
6. Why did Babi distrust Farenc?
7. Why did Farenc agree to help Piri and her family?
8. What news did Piri get from Lilli?
9. Discuss Farenc's return to Babi's farm.
10. Where would Iboya spend time outside the house?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)