|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the family know was coming?
(a) They would have to flee.
(b) They would be arrested.
(c) They would be taken to the ghetto.
(d) They would be killed.
2. Who was Mr. Baltar?
(a) A smuggler.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A merchant.
(d) A farmer.
3. What news did Mother get of Lilli, Lajos and Manci?
(a) They had escaped.
(b) They were seen boarding a train.
(c) They were dead.
(d) They were sick.
4. How old does Piri say the people were at these secret gatherings?
(a) Forties and fifties.
5. What did Mrs. Gerber give Piri when she arrived at her house?
(a) Food for Passover.
(b) The name of a smuggler.
(c) A small gift in return for Passover food.
(d) Information about Dr. Feher.
6. What did Piri and Iboya find when they went to the provision center?
(a) There wasn't enough of anything to go around.
(b) The Germans were keeping everything for themselves.
(c) The Jews wouldn't get anything.
(d) There was a ranking system that governed who got the supplies.
7. What does the family learn at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Jews are being killed.
(b) America is entering the war.
(c) Germany is losing in Russia.
(d) Germany is winning the war.
8. Where had Lilli and Lajos been hiding?
(a) In the woods.
(b) In a home.
(c) In the streets.
(d) At a university.
9. What did the family name the goat?
(a) The milkmaker.
(d) The bleating nuisance.
10. What was Iboya's job?
(b) Delivery girl.
(c) Filing clerk.
(d) Printer's assistant.
11. How does Piri say Iboya would return from work?
12. Why did Mr. Shuster oppose Mother's plans?
(a) He feared reprisals if the Jews rose up.
(b) It would anger the Germans.
(c) He was forbidden to allow any luxuries.
(d) He was full of his own power.
13. How does Piri describe the ghetto?
(a) A death camp.
(b) A work camp.
(c) A prison.
(d) A brick factory turned prison.
14. What special allowance did the family have to make to keep the goat?
(a) They had to pay the landlord not to report them.
(b) They had to hide it.
(c) They had to bring it home at night.
(d) They had to steal food for it.
15. Where were Jews being taken?
(a) To a ghetto.
(b) To work camps.
(c) To death camps.
(d) To work in factories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mother have a talk with Mr. Schwartz about?
2. How does Piri describe the conditions at the ghetto?
3. What changed for Piri and Iboya when the Germans took over Hungary?
4. What was the ultimatum the German soldiers gave Mr. Hirsch?
5. What were the hours of the curfew for Jews?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)