|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What plans were made at the places Iboya went in secret?
(a) To harass Jews.
(b) To escape from Beregszasz.
(c) To shelter Jews.
(d) To kill Nazis.
2. How does Piri describe the ghetto?
(a) A prison.
(b) A death camp.
(c) A brick factory turned prison.
(d) A work camp.
3. What was Mother's response to Uncle Sanyi?
(a) She sent him home.
(b) She found people to take care of him.
(c) She came with him to identify the body.
(d) She let him stay the night.
4. What was the ultimatum the German soldiers gave Mr. Hirsch?
(a) Leave Beregszasz or be killed.
(b) Pay a large sum, or the religious leaders would be killed.
(c) Betray the Jews in the town or have the entire town destroyed.
(d) Give up the Jews in hiding, or his family would be beaten and raped.
5. What were the hours of the curfew for Jews?
(a) 10 p.m. to 7 a.m.
(b) 3 p.m. to 10 a.m.
(c) 3 a.m. to 10 a.m.
(d) 3 p.m. to 10 p.m.
6. What was Mother's aim in buying a goat?
(a) To have milk for the children.
(b) To sell goat cheese.
(c) To have fresh meat.
(d) To assert her defiance.
7. How does Piri characterize the German invasion of Hungary?
8. How does Piri say Iboya would return from work?
9. Why was Mother upset in the beginning of chapter 12?
(a) Lilli had been beaten.
(b) Lilli had been taken away.
(c) Iboya had been arrested.
(d) Father had been injured.
10. How did Dr. Feher get involved with the family?
(a) He reported them to the authorities.
(b) He smuggled money and food to the family.
(c) He cared for mother in her distress.
(d) He helped the family get Lilli released.
11. What did Mother try to do?
(a) Talk to the officials about supplies.
(b) Organize the prisoners.
(c) Hang out sheets for privacy.
(d) Bargain with the guards.
12. Where did Piri have her first kiss?
(a) In a warehouse.
(b) At Gari's house.
(c) At the city center.
(d) At a Zionist meeting.
13. Why did Mother leave the city?
(a) To tell Lajos' family what happened.
(b) To secure passage out of Beregszasz.
(c) To buy another goat.
(d) To look for Father.
14. What did Dr. Feher give Mother?
(a) Advice to stay home.
(b) Money, and medicine for Manci.
(c) Forged travel papers.
15. How did Mother change after her trip outside the city?
(a) She began to hear voices all the time.
(b) She became more suspicious.
(c) She began to go crazy.
(d) She got sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were Jews being taken?
2. What news did Mother get of Lilli, Lajos and Manci?
3. What did the family know was coming?
4. What special allowance did the family have to make to keep the goat?
5. Where had Lilli and Lajos been hiding?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)