|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mother try to do?
(a) Talk to the officials about supplies.
(b) Organize the prisoners.
(c) Hang out sheets for privacy.
(d) Bargain with the guards.
2. At times, where did Iboya go instead of volunteering?
(a) Poetry readings.
(b) Across the border.
(c) Zionist meetings.
(d) To spy on soldiers.
3. What was the ultimatum the German soldiers gave Mr. Hirsch?
(a) Betray the Jews in the town or have the entire town destroyed.
(b) Give up the Jews in hiding, or his family would be beaten and raped.
(c) Pay a large sum, or the religious leaders would be killed.
(d) Leave Beregszasz or be killed.
4. Who was Mr. Shuster?
(a) The leader of the ghetto.
(b) An agent provocateur.
(c) The leader of the resistance.
(d) A very sick man in the ghetto.
5. Where was Iboya when the Germans came?
(a) In the yard.
(b) Out getting supplies.
(c) In bed.
(d) At school.
6. How had Luzja killed herself?
(a) She slit her wrists.
(b) She took pills.
(c) She stepped in front of a train.
(d) She jumped into the river.
7. Who was Gari Weiss?
(a) A soldier.
(b) Piri's teacher.
(c) Piri's cousin.
(d) Piri's first crush.
8. Why did Mother leave the city?
(a) To buy another goat.
(b) To tell Lajos' family what happened.
(c) To look for Father.
(d) To secure passage out of Beregszasz.
9. What did Piri and Iboya find when they went to the provision center?
(a) The Germans were keeping everything for themselves.
(b) There was a ranking system that governed who got the supplies.
(c) The Jews wouldn't get anything.
(d) There wasn't enough of anything to go around.
10. How did this ultimatum affect Mother?
(a) She vowed never to leave the house.
(b) She got ready to leave.
(c) She refused to give up any names.
(d) She gave up her savings.
11. How did the Sanyi's family escape?
(a) They traveled with fake passports.
(b) They ran to the forests.
(c) They stowed away in cargo ships.
(d) They walked over the border.
12. How does Piri characterize the German invasion of Hungary?
13. Whom did Iboya go with to these clandestine gatherings?
(b) Aunt Lujza.
14. What was Mother's aim in buying a goat?
(a) To assert her defiance.
(b) To have fresh meat.
(c) To sell goat cheese.
(d) To have milk for the children.
15. What was Mother's response to Uncle Sanyi?
(a) She sent him home.
(b) She found people to take care of him.
(c) She let him stay the night.
(d) She came with him to identify the body.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Dr. Feher get involved with the family?
2. Where did Piri go to school after being expelled?
3. What did Piri do while her mother was gone?
4. What did Mother do to take care of her family?
5. Who told Mother that Dr. Feher was dead?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)