|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Piri have her first kiss?
(a) At a Zionist meeting.
(b) At Gari's house.
(c) At the city center.
(d) In a warehouse.
2. How old does Piri say the people were at these secret gatherings?
(b) Forties and fifties.
3. Why did Mother leave the city?
(a) To buy another goat.
(b) To secure passage out of Beregszasz.
(c) To look for Father.
(d) To tell Lajos' family what happened.
4. What did Mother try to do?
(a) Hang out sheets for privacy.
(b) Talk to the officials about supplies.
(c) Organize the prisoners.
(d) Bargain with the guards.
5. Why was Mother upset in the beginning of chapter 12?
(a) Iboya had been arrested.
(b) Lilli had been beaten.
(c) Lilli had been taken away.
(d) Father had been injured.
6. What was Mr. Schwartz' response to Mother?
(a) He said there wasn't any space for her to be smuggled out.
(b) He said that the resistance didn't need her help.
(c) He told her how much it would cost to be smuggled out.
(d) He assured her he would keep Iboya safe.
7. What news did Mother get of Lilli, Lajos and Manci?
(a) They were sick.
(b) They were seen boarding a train.
(c) They were dead.
(d) They had escaped.
8. What plans were made at the places Iboya went in secret?
(a) To harass Jews.
(b) To kill Nazis.
(c) To shelter Jews.
(d) To escape from Beregszasz.
9. What were the hours of the curfew for Jews?
(a) 10 p.m. to 7 a.m.
(b) 3 p.m. to 10 p.m.
(c) 3 a.m. to 10 a.m.
(d) 3 p.m. to 10 a.m.
10. Whom did Iboya go with to these clandestine gatherings?
(b) Aunt Lujza.
11. How had Lilli and Lajos been sent away?
(a) By truck.
(b) By foot.
(c) By underground railroad.
(d) By freight train.
12. Where did Piri and her friends spend a lot of their time?
(a) Gari's family's house.
(b) In the streets.
(c) Her house.
(d) Laying around with the other refugees.
13. How does Piri say Iboya would return from work?
14. What does the family learn at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Jews are being killed.
(b) America is entering the war.
(c) Germany is winning the war.
(d) Germany is losing in Russia.
15. How does Piri describe the ghetto?
(a) A death camp.
(b) A prison.
(c) A work camp.
(d) A brick factory turned prison.
Short Answer Questions
1. How had Luzja killed herself?
2. What was disturbing to this visitor?
3. Where did Mother take a telephone call?
4. What did Mother blame herself for?
5. Where was Father being held?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)