|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old does Piri say the people were at these secret gatherings?
(c) Forties and fifties.
2. Which country's lead does Piri say Hungary followed in instituting strict Anti-Semite laws?
3. Where did Mother go to look for Manci?
4. What was disturbing to this visitor?
(a) The injustice of German policies.
(b) The rising cost of silk stockings.
(c) The declining influence of the Zionists.
(d) The food rationing.
5. What was the ultimatum the German soldiers gave Mr. Hirsch?
(a) Betray the Jews in the town or have the entire town destroyed.
(b) Give up the Jews in hiding, or his family would be beaten and raped.
(c) Pay a large sum, or the religious leaders would be killed.
(d) Leave Beregszasz or be killed.
6. What did Mrs. Gerber give Piri when she arrived at her house?
(a) The name of a smuggler.
(b) A small gift in return for Passover food.
(c) Food for Passover.
(d) Information about Dr. Feher.
7. What plans were made at the places Iboya went in secret?
(a) To shelter Jews.
(b) To escape from Beregszasz.
(c) To harass Jews.
(d) To kill Nazis.
8. How did Dr. Feher get involved with the family?
(a) He cared for mother in her distress.
(b) He helped the family get Lilli released.
(c) He reported them to the authorities.
(d) He smuggled money and food to the family.
9. What did Mother blame herself for?
(a) Not having seen this coming.
(b) Not having kept Lilli closer to home.
(c) Not having wanted to know that this was happening.
(d) Not having left sooner.
10. How had Lilli and Lajos been sent away?
(a) By underground railroad.
(b) By truck.
(c) By freight train.
(d) By foot.
11. How does Piri characterize the family's Passover dinner?
12. Who was Mr. Shuster?
(a) The leader of the ghetto.
(b) The leader of the resistance.
(c) A very sick man in the ghetto.
(d) An agent provocateur.
13. Who took Piri's goat away?
(b) The housing bureau.
14. Who told Mother that Dr. Feher was dead?
(a) Mr. Hirsch.
(d) Mrs. Gerber.
15. What did Lilli decide to give up?
(a) Her plans to emigrate.
(b) Her dream of school.
(c) Her apartment.
(d) Her savings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the family know was coming?
2. At times, where did Iboya go instead of volunteering?
3. What did Piri do while her mother was gone?
4. How did the Sanyi's family escape?
5. What did the family name the goat?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)