|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who took Piri's goat away?
(b) The housing bureau.
2. What did Mother return from doing, at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Visiting the synagogue.
(b) Looking for Iboya.
(c) Buying matzo.
(d) Looking for work.
3. What does the family learn at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Germany is winning the war.
(b) America is entering the war.
(c) Germany is losing in Russia.
(d) Jews are being killed.
4. What did Piri and Iboya find when they went to the provision center?
(a) There was a ranking system that governed who got the supplies.
(b) The Germans were keeping everything for themselves.
(c) The Jews wouldn't get anything.
(d) There wasn't enough of anything to go around.
5. Where did Mother take a telephone call?
(a) The telephone office.
(c) The train station.
(d) The Police station.
6. Whom did Iboya go with to these clandestine gatherings?
(d) Aunt Lujza.
7. How did Mother change after her trip outside the city?
(a) She got sick.
(b) She became more suspicious.
(c) She began to go crazy.
(d) She began to hear voices all the time.
8. How had Luzja killed herself?
(a) She took pills.
(b) She slit her wrists.
(c) She stepped in front of a train.
(d) She jumped into the river.
9. Who was Mr. Baltar?
(a) A smuggler.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A merchant.
(d) A soldier.
10. What were the hours of the curfew for Jews?
(a) 10 p.m. to 7 a.m.
(b) 3 p.m. to 10 a.m.
(c) 3 a.m. to 10 a.m.
(d) 3 p.m. to 10 p.m.
11. What did Mother do for Dr. Feher?
(a) Helped his relatives.
(b) Helped ransom his body.
(c) Helped bury him.
(d) Prayed for him.
12. What did Mother blame herself for?
(a) Not having seen this coming.
(b) Not having wanted to know that this was happening.
(c) Not having kept Lilli closer to home.
(d) Not having left sooner.
13. Why did Mr. Shuster oppose Mother's plans?
(a) He feared reprisals if the Jews rose up.
(b) It would anger the Germans.
(c) He was forbidden to allow any luxuries.
(d) He was full of his own power.
14. How does Piri characterize the German invasion of Hungary?
15. What did Lilli decide to give up?
(a) Her savings.
(b) Her dream of school.
(c) Her apartment.
(d) Her plans to emigrate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Iboya volunteered for _______________.
2. Why was Piri expelled from school?
3. How did Dr. Feher get involved with the family?
4. Why did Mother leave the city?
5. How does Piri characterize the family's Passover dinner?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)