|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which country's lead does Piri say Hungary followed in instituting strict Anti-Semite laws?
2. At times, where did Iboya go instead of volunteering?
(a) Across the border.
(b) Zionist meetings.
(c) To spy on soldiers.
(d) Poetry readings.
3. How did Dr. Feher get involved with the family?
(a) He cared for mother in her distress.
(b) He smuggled money and food to the family.
(c) He reported them to the authorities.
(d) He helped the family get Lilli released.
4. Why was Mother upset in the beginning of chapter 12?
(a) Lilli had been beaten.
(b) Father had been injured.
(c) Lilli had been taken away.
(d) Iboya had been arrested.
5. Iboya volunteered for _______________.
(a) The police.
(b) The school.
(c) The Red Cross.
(d) The hospital.
6. Whom did Iboya go with to these clandestine gatherings?
(d) Aunt Lujza.
7. What did Mother try to do?
(a) Organize the prisoners.
(b) Hang out sheets for privacy.
(c) Bargain with the guards.
(d) Talk to the officials about supplies.
8. What happened to Dr. Feher?
(a) He left for America.
(b) He shot himself after his wife and daughter had been raped.
(c) He stopped making house calls.
(d) He was arrested.
9. What did Mother return from doing, at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Looking for work.
(b) Buying matzo.
(c) Visiting the synagogue.
(d) Looking for Iboya.
10. What news did Mother get of Lilli, Lajos and Manci?
(a) They had escaped.
(b) They were sick.
(c) They were dead.
(d) They were seen boarding a train.
11. What did Mother tell Piri?
(a) Lajos had contacted his parents.
(b) She would have to take over the household.
(c) They would be leaving soon.
(d) Manci was being released.
12. Why was Piri mad at Iboya, now that Iboya was working?
(a) She was coarse.
(b) She was overbearing.
(c) She was superior.
(d) She was secretive.
13. Where did Piri go to school after being expelled?
(a) In the streets.
(b) She stayed home.
(c) At a community center.
(d) At the synagogue.
14. How had Luzja killed herself?
(a) She took pills.
(b) She jumped into the river.
(c) She slit her wrists.
(d) She stepped in front of a train.
15. What did Dr. Feher give Mother?
(a) Advice to stay home.
(b) Money, and medicine for Manci.
(c) Forged travel papers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What special allowance did the family have to make to keep the goat?
2. How had Lilli and Lajos been sent away?
3. Who told Mother that Dr. Feher was dead?
4. How old does Piri say the people were at these secret gatherings?
5. How does Piri characterize the German invasion of Hungary?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)