|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where were Father and Lajos at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) Hiding in the forests.
(b) Off at war.
(c) In the city.
(d) At the farm.
2. What had Mother failed to do when she came home at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) Get the police to condemn the Anti-Semites' attack.
(b) Secure visas for America.
(c) Make money.
(d) Secure passage to the country for the children.
3. Where did Mother and Mrs. Gerber wait for their men?
(a) The city center.
(b) The train station.
(c) Their house.
(d) The barracks.
4. What does Piri compare to her life in Komjaty?
(a) The food.
(b) The violence.
(c) The city smells.
(d) The political tension.
5. What happened when the boys chased Piri and Iboya?
(a) They escaped.
(b) They were beaten.
(c) A policeman chased the boys away.
(d) The boys caught them but didn't hurt them.
6. Who is Molcha?
(a) A Hungarian soldier.
(b) A classmate of Piri's.
(c) Piri's teacher.
(d) Piri's cousin.
7. Who were the Hungarians fighting when Piri was on the farm?
8. How does Piri say the school routine changed in 1941?
(a) The children did military drills instead of playing.
(b) Classes were smaller as children went to America or fled Europe.
(c) There were air attack drills all the time.
(d) Some of the buildings had been turned into barracks.
9. What was Mother's response to this incident?
(a) She decided to move to America.
(b) She reported it to the authorities.
(c) She was unaffected.
(d) She worried.
10. How long did Mother and Mrs. Gerber wait without seeing their husbands?
(a) Almost a week.
(b) More than a week.
(c) A couple of weeks.
(d) A few days.
11. Why was the narrator sent to Komjaty?
(a) To find her parents.
(b) To fight the Nazis.
(c) To spend time with her grandmother.
(d) To flee the Nazis.
12. What was Father's expectation?
(a) He would die on the Russian front.
(b) He would rise through the ranks.
(c) He and Lajos would be home soon.
(d) He would run away as soon as he could.
13. When was Father's battalion going to come through Beregszasz?
14. What did Piri expect her future to look like?
(a) She thought she would work in a factory.
(b) She thought she would join the military.
(c) She thought she would have to marry an officer.
(d) She thought she would have to flee.
15. What does Farenc say about what Piri tells him?
(a) He was leaving soon.
(b) It wouldn't change anything.
(c) His family is gone.
(d) It was a good idea.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Piri characterize her mother's state of mind on returning home in Chapter 8?
2. What made Piri a favorite of her teacher's?
3. Why did Babi distrust the Hungarians?
4. Where did Mother take the woman?
5. What did Mother do for the Yiddish-speaking stranger?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)