|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lajos?
(a) Piri's sister-in-law.
(b) Piri's uncle.
(c) Piri's cousin.
(d) Piri's brother-in-law.
2. What did Piri get to do when she arrived in Beregszasz?
(a) Hold her sister.
(b) Work for the family.
(c) Take care of the animals.
(d) Go back to school.
3. What did Piri overhear when she was in bed after the incident?
(a) Mother confessed that she should have sent the children to America.
(b) Mother lamenting the fact that it was too late to escape now.
(c) Lilli arguing against going to America.
(d) Lilli getting hysterical about the war.
4. How did Beregszasz change for Piri's family?
(a) They were not allowed into certain districts.
(b) They had to keep a low profile as Jews.
(c) They were harassed constantly.
(d) They had to move out of their house.
5. Where was Mrs. Gerber's daughter?
6. What did mother express concern over?
(a) Piri's relationship with her teacher.
(b) Rozsi's plans to go to America.
(c) Rozsi's social life.
(d) Piri's interest in boys.
7. How does Piri say the school routine changed in 1941?
(a) There were air attack drills all the time.
(b) Classes were smaller as children went to America or fled Europe.
(c) The children did military drills instead of playing.
(d) Some of the buildings had been turned into barracks.
8. What part of Christmas disappointed Piri?
(a) She was kept inside by a snowstorm.
(b) The town's festivities were few.
(c) Carolers didn't stop at their house.
(d) She didn't get any presents.
9. What did Piri anticipate when this visitor came to the farm?
(a) Returning to Beregszasz herself.
(b) Leaving for America.
(c) Taking care of her sister.
(d) Helping her parents move to Komjaty.
10. Why was Piri cut off from her family at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) She crossed the border into Ukraine.
(b) They had to flee without her.
(c) She fled to America.
(d) Trains to Beregszasz stopped running.
11. When did Mother finally see Father?
(a) He found her in the market.
(b) He came in the night.
(c) She found him in town.
(d) She found him at the train station.
12. Where were Father and Lajos at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) In the city.
(b) Hiding in the forests.
(c) Off at war.
(d) At the farm.
13. Who was Shimi Stern?
(a) A policeman.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A smuggler.
14. How does Piri characterize her mother's state of mind on returning home in Chapter 8?
15. What political alliance took place at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) Germany joined Japan against France and Britain.
(b) The U.S. joined Britain and France against Germany.
(c) Vichy France joined Germany against the Free Zone.
(d) Hungary joined Germany against Russia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Rozsi walk with Piri?
2. What was Mother's connection to Mrs. Gerber?
3. What did Babi ask the girls to do in anticipation of Piri's parents coming?
4. What were conditions like in the woman's home?
5. How did Piri hear from her parents?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)