|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Piri's routine while her father was away?
(a) She took care of Joli.
(b) She went to school.
(c) She worked in the fields.
(d) She took care of Molcha.
2. When did Babi hear that Piri's parents were coming?
(a) Rosh Hashanah.
3. How did Piri hear from her parents?
(a) Her father showed up in Komjaty.
(b) Her grandmother got a telegram from her mother.
(c) Her grandfather got a messenger by passenger pigeon.
(d) A messenger brought a letter.
4. What did Piri receive as a gift?
(a) A set of paints.
(b) A glass globe.
(c) A new dress.
(d) A book.
5. What did Mother do for the Yiddish-speaking stranger?
(a) Fed her and cared for her baby.
(b) Helped her get a visa to leave.
(c) Gave her directions.
(d) Found her an apartment.
6. How does Piri characterize Father's farewell?
7. When did Mother finally see Father?
(a) He came in the night.
(b) He found her in the market.
(c) She found him in town.
(d) She found him at the train station.
8. What did Farenc reveal to Piri?
(a) The road to Beregszasz was closed.
(b) Komjaty was not going to be attacked.
(c) Her parents had escaped.
(d) Komjaty was about to be shelled.
9. How did Piri help Farenc?
(a) She gave him food.
(b) She gave him a ride.
(c) She gave him directions.
(d) She gave him bandages.
10. Who were the Hungarians fighting when Piri was on the farm?
11. What was Piri's father's position?
(d) Army officer.
12. What did Mother prepare for Father's visit?
(a) A great feast.
(b) All the extra bedrooms.
(c) She cleaned and painted the house.
(d) Her clothes and Piri's.
13. What made Piri a favorite of her teacher's?
(a) She spoke Ukrainian.
(b) She spoke Hungarian.
(c) She spoke Yiddish.
(d) She was good at math.
14. How does Piri characterize her adjustment to life in Beregszasz?
(a) She adjusted reluctantly.
(b) She adjusted quickly.
(c) She adjusted painfully.
(d) She could not quite adjust.
15. What did Piri say that made her mother express concern?
(a) She liked her teacher.
(b) Rozsi only spoke to baby.
(c) She wanted to go away.
(d) Rozsi was engaged to Farenc.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were conditions like in the woman's home?
2. Where was Mrs. Gerber's daughter?
3. What did Piri anticipate when this visitor came to the farm?
4. What was Father's expectation?
5. Who is Rozsi?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)