|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mother do for the Yiddish-speaking stranger?
(a) Gave her directions.
(b) Fed her and cared for her baby.
(c) Helped her get a visa to leave.
(d) Found her an apartment.
2. How long was it before Piri saw Farenc again?
(a) A few months.
(b) A few weeks.
(c) A few hours.
(d) A few days.
3. What does Babi beg of Piri's mother?
(a) To take the children with her.
(b) To split the family up.
(c) To send the children to America.
(d) To come stay with her and Piri.
4. What festivities did Babi prepare for, in spite of the fact that family wouldn't be able to gather?
(b) Rosh Hashanah.
5. What were Piri's feelings about Hitler?
(a) She idealized him.
(b) She wanted to see him.
(c) She feared him.
(d) She pitied him.
6. Where was the woman from?
7. What did Lilli tell Piri?
(a) She and her husband were getting a place of their own.
(b) The family was making plans to move.
(c) The family was spending as much time as possible at her apartment outside the city.
(d) She and her husband were staying with the family frequently.
8. What did mother express concern over?
(a) Rozsi's plans to go to America.
(b) Rozsi's social life.
(c) Piri's interest in boys.
(d) Piri's relationship with her teacher.
9. What did Mother prepare for Father's visit?
(a) She cleaned and painted the house.
(b) All the extra bedrooms.
(c) A great feast.
(d) Her clothes and Piri's.
10. When did Mother finally see Father?
(a) She found him at the train station.
(b) He found her in the market.
(c) He came in the night.
(d) She found him in town.
11. What had Mother failed to do when she came home at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) Secure visas for America.
(b) Make money.
(c) Get the police to condemn the Anti-Semites' attack.
(d) Secure passage to the country for the children.
12. What did Piri expect her future to look like?
(a) She thought she would have to flee.
(b) She thought she would have to marry an officer.
(c) She thought she would join the military.
(d) She thought she would work in a factory.
13. Who comes to the farm a few weeks after Piri's new sister is born?
14. How did Piri's family celebrate Hanukkah?
(a) They didn't observer Hanukkah.
(b) They observed it in detail, for the sake of the absent men.
(c) They lit some candles then gave up.
(d) They prayed fervently for a similar miracle.
15. Where did Mother and Mrs. Gerber wait for their men?
(a) The city center.
(b) The train station.
(c) Their house.
(d) The barracks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were conditions like in the woman's home?
2. What made Piri ill?
3. What did Piri know about the political situation in 1939?
4. What grade did Piri start in 1941?
5. Who is Molcha?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)