|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mother give Piri now that she was in the city?
(b) A good scrubbing.
(d) A lecture about Germans.
2. What did Piri receive as a gift?
(a) A glass globe.
(b) A book.
(c) A set of paints.
(d) A new dress.
3. What festivities did Babi prepare for, in spite of the fact that family wouldn't be able to gather?
(a) Rosh Hashanah.
4. Where was the woman from?
5. What did the woman find in the place Mother took her to?
(a) Work and support.
(b) Money and food.
(c) A hiding place for Jewish refugees.
(d) Information about her family.
6. Why did Babi distrust the Hungarians?
(a) They persecuted Ukrainians.
(b) They were largely Jewish.
(c) They were close to Germans.
(d) They spoke a language she didn't understand.
7. Who was Shimi Stern?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A smuggler.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A policeman.
8. What were Piri's feelings about Hitler?
(a) She idealized him.
(b) She feared him.
(c) She pitied him.
(d) She wanted to see him.
9. What did Piri know about the political situation in 1939?
(a) She read histories and talked to people who had traveled, to see what they could tell her.
(b) She was too young to know anything about the political situation.
(c) She read a story about Jews being rounded up, but didn't understand the big picture.
(d) She followed the papers, and tried to understand everything she could.
10. How does Piri say the school routine changed in 1941?
(a) Classes were smaller as children went to America or fled Europe.
(b) The children did military drills instead of playing.
(c) Some of the buildings had been turned into barracks.
(d) There were air attack drills all the time.
11. Who went back with Mother after the holiday?
(b) Only Father.
12. What was Mother's connection to Mrs. Gerber?
(a) They knew each other from childhood.
(b) Mrs. Gerber's husband was in the same battalion as Father.
(c) They taught in the same school.
(d) They worked in the same factory.
13. What was Father's expectation?
(a) He and Lajos would be home soon.
(b) He would die on the Russian front.
(c) He would rise through the ranks.
(d) He would run away as soon as he could.
14. What did Farenc reveal to Piri?
(a) Her parents had escaped.
(b) Komjaty was not going to be attacked.
(c) The road to Beregszasz was closed.
(d) Komjaty was about to be shelled.
15. How does Piri characterize her mother's state of mind on returning home in Chapter 8?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when the boys chased Piri and Iboya?
2. What does Farenc say about what Piri tells him?
3. When did Mother finally see Father?
4. Who is the narrator?
5. How does Piri characterize her adjustment to life in Beregszasz?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)