|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Mrs. Gerber's daughter?
2. How does Piri characterize her adjustment to life in Beregszasz?
(a) She adjusted quickly.
(b) She adjusted reluctantly.
(c) She could not quite adjust.
(d) She adjusted painfully.
3. What did Lilli tell Piri?
(a) The family was making plans to move.
(b) She and her husband were getting a place of their own.
(c) She and her husband were staying with the family frequently.
(d) The family was spending as much time as possible at her apartment outside the city.
4. Why was Piri cut off from her family at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) She fled to America.
(b) Trains to Beregszasz stopped running.
(c) They had to flee without her.
(d) She crossed the border into Ukraine.
5. Where did Mother take the woman?
(a) To the police.
(b) Mrs. Silverman's house.
(c) Mrs. Gerber's house.
(d) To the country.
6. What was Mother's connection to Mrs. Gerber?
(a) Mrs. Gerber's husband was in the same battalion as Father.
(b) They knew each other from childhood.
(c) They worked in the same factory.
(d) They taught in the same school.
7. What did Farenc reveal to Piri?
(a) Her parents had escaped.
(b) The road to Beregszasz was closed.
(c) Komjaty was about to be shelled.
(d) Komjaty was not going to be attacked.
8. Who is Lajos?
(a) Piri's uncle.
(b) Piri's sister-in-law.
(c) Piri's cousin.
(d) Piri's brother-in-law.
9. What did Mother give Piri now that she was in the city?
(a) A lecture about Germans.
(b) A good scrubbing.
10. What did Piri anticipate when this visitor came to the farm?
(a) Returning to Beregszasz herself.
(b) Taking care of her sister.
(c) Helping her parents move to Komjaty.
(d) Leaving for America.
11. What had changed about Piri's mother?
(a) She was pregnant.
(b) She was sick.
(c) She was always worried.
(d) She looked steely and determined.
12. How did Piri's family celebrate Hanukkah?
(a) They observed it in detail, for the sake of the absent men.
(b) They prayed fervently for a similar miracle.
(c) They didn't observer Hanukkah.
(d) They lit some candles then gave up.
13. How did Babi prepare for the holiday?
(a) Visiting with neighbors.
(b) Praying and reading the Bible.
(c) Visiting the synagogue.
(d) Cooking, and cleaning the house.
14. In what location did the narrator begin?
15. What does Piri compare to her life in Komjaty?
(a) The food.
(b) The city smells.
(c) The political tension.
(d) The violence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Piri's disappointment tell her about the larger culture?
2. What was Piri's baby sister named?
3. Why wasn't Babi impressed that Piri was a favorite of her teacher?
4. What was Father's expectation?
5. Who were the Hungarians fighting when Piri was on the farm?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)