|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the war affect Piri's father's position?
(a) He was demoted.
(b) He was promoted.
(c) He was drafted.
(d) He was fired.
2. How does Piri say the school routine changed in 1941?
(a) Some of the buildings had been turned into barracks.
(b) The children did military drills instead of playing.
(c) Classes were smaller as children went to America or fled Europe.
(d) There were air attack drills all the time.
3. What did Piri expect her future to look like?
(a) She thought she would join the military.
(b) She thought she would work in a factory.
(c) She thought she would have to marry an officer.
(d) She thought she would have to flee.
4. What did Piri anticipate when this visitor came to the farm?
(a) Helping her parents move to Komjaty.
(b) Leaving for America.
(c) Taking care of her sister.
(d) Returning to Beregszasz herself.
5. Where did Rozsi walk with Piri?
(a) To the woods.
(b) To the train station.
(c) To the school.
(d) To the hospital.
6. Where did Mother take the woman?
(a) Mrs. Silverman's house.
(b) To the police.
(c) To the country.
(d) Mrs. Gerber's house.
7. How long was it before Piri saw Farenc again?
(a) A few days.
(b) A few months.
(c) A few hours.
(d) A few weeks.
8. What did Piri say that made her mother express concern?
(a) Rozsi only spoke to baby.
(b) Rozsi was engaged to Farenc.
(c) She wanted to go away.
(d) She liked her teacher.
9. What political alliance took place at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) Hungary joined Germany against Russia.
(b) Vichy France joined Germany against the Free Zone.
(c) Germany joined Japan against France and Britain.
(d) The U.S. joined Britain and France against Germany.
10. Why wasn't Babi impressed that Piri was a favorite of her teacher?
(a) Babi thought Piri was just being a kiss-up.
(b) Babi thought the teacher was just currying favor with her.
(c) Babi thought she was being used as a translator.
(d) Babi thought the teacher was prejudiced and unintelligent.
11. What were Piri's feelings about Hitler?
(a) She pitied him.
(b) She wanted to see him.
(c) She idealized him.
(d) She feared him.
12. Who were the Hungarians fighting when Piri was on the farm?
13. What was Piri's father's position?
(b) Army officer.
14. What did Mother do for the Yiddish-speaking stranger?
(a) Gave her directions.
(b) Helped her get a visa to leave.
(c) Fed her and cared for her baby.
(d) Found her an apartment.
15. How does Piri's father say people treat him?
(a) They look up to him because he is Hungarian.
(b) They look up to him because he is Ukrainian.
(c) They admire him because he is educated.
(d) They look down on him because he is Czech.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were Piri and Iboya when they were nearly attacked?
2. What was Mother's connection to Mrs. Gerber?
3. Why was the narrator sent to Komjaty?
4. When did Babi hear that Piri's parents were coming?
5. What had Babi done to help Mother make this attempt?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)