|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Shimi Stern?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A smuggler.
(d) A policeman.
2. How did the war affect Piri's father's position?
(a) He was drafted.
(b) He was demoted.
(c) He was fired.
(d) He was promoted.
3. Where were Piri and Iboya when they were nearly attacked?
(a) In the town center.
(b) In the yard.
(c) By the synagogue.
(d) In school.
4. What did Mother do for the Yiddish-speaking stranger?
(a) Found her an apartment.
(b) Helped her get a visa to leave.
(c) Fed her and cared for her baby.
(d) Gave her directions.
5. Mother was going to inquire into _________________.
(a) Whether she should make a complaint to the authorities.
(b) Whether to tell her husband.
(c) Whether she could still escape to the country.
(d) Whether she could still send the children to America.
6. What was Piri's father's position?
(a) Army officer.
7. What had changed about Piri's mother?
(a) She was pregnant.
(b) She looked steely and determined.
(c) She was sick.
(d) She was always worried.
8. How does Piri characterize her adjustment to life in Beregszasz?
(a) She adjusted quickly.
(b) She adjusted painfully.
(c) She adjusted reluctantly.
(d) She could not quite adjust.
9. What did Piri say that made her mother express concern?
(a) She wanted to go away.
(b) Rozsi only spoke to baby.
(c) She liked her teacher.
(d) Rozsi was engaged to Farenc.
10. What festivities did Babi prepare for, in spite of the fact that family wouldn't be able to gather?
(b) Rosh Hashanah.
11. Where was Mrs. Gerber's daughter?
12. Who were the Hungarians fighting when Piri was on the farm?
13. How does Piri characterize Father's farewell?
14. Who is Molcha?
(a) A classmate of Piri's.
(b) A Hungarian soldier.
(c) Piri's cousin.
(d) Piri's teacher.
15. How long did Mother and Mrs. Gerber wait without seeing their husbands?
(a) More than a week.
(b) A couple of weeks.
(c) Almost a week.
(d) A few days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Piri receive as a gift?
2. What was Mother's response to this incident?
3. What did Mother do as soon as she got Piri home?
4. What does Babi beg of Piri's mother?
5. What did Mother prepare for Father's visit?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)