|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Mother take the woman?
(a) Mrs. Silverman's house.
(b) To the police.
(c) Mrs. Gerber's house.
(d) To the country.
2. How was Piri soothed after she saw frightening things?
(a) Her grandmother made her a snack.
(b) She was sent to Komjaty.
(c) She went horseback riding.
(d) She went to sleep.
3. What did Piri tell Farenc during the visit in Chapter 5?
(a) She is her teacher's favorite at school.
(b) The Germans were rounding up Jews.
(c) Her parents wanted to send her to America.
(d) The Germans were killing Jews.
4. Why did Babi distrust the Hungarians?
(a) They were close to Germans.
(b) They spoke a language she didn't understand.
(c) They persecuted Ukrainians.
(d) They were largely Jewish.
5. What happened when Farenc and reaction saw each other the first time?
(a) Love at first sight.
(b) She gave him food.
(c) He kidnapped her.
(d) She mistook him for her boyfriend.
6. What were Piri's feelings about Hitler?
(a) She pitied him.
(b) She idealized him.
(c) She wanted to see him.
(d) She feared him.
7. Where was Mrs. Gerber's daughter?
8. What does Farenc say about what Piri tells him?
(a) His family is gone.
(b) It was a good idea.
(c) It wouldn't change anything.
(d) He was leaving soon.
9. In what location did the narrator begin?
10. What was Piri's routine while her father was away?
(a) She went to school.
(b) She took care of Molcha.
(c) She took care of Joli.
(d) She worked in the fields.
11. What made Piri a favorite of her teacher's?
(a) She spoke Ukrainian.
(b) She was good at math.
(c) She spoke Hungarian.
(d) She spoke Yiddish.
12. How did Piri hear from her parents?
(a) A messenger brought a letter.
(b) Her father showed up in Komjaty.
(c) Her grandmother got a telegram from her mother.
(d) Her grandfather got a messenger by passenger pigeon.
13. What did Mother do for the Yiddish-speaking stranger?
(a) Helped her get a visa to leave.
(b) Found her an apartment.
(c) Fed her and cared for her baby.
(d) Gave her directions.
14. Mother was going to inquire into _________________.
(a) Whether to tell her husband.
(b) Whether she could still escape to the country.
(c) Whether she could still send the children to America.
(d) Whether she should make a complaint to the authorities.
15. How did Piri help Farenc?
(a) She gave him food.
(b) She gave him a ride.
(c) She gave him directions.
(d) She gave him bandages.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Farenc sad to tell Piri?
2. How did Babi prepare for the holiday?
3. What did Mother do as soon as she got Piri home?
4. What political alliance took place at the end of Chapter 9?
5. Why wasn't Babi impressed that Piri was a favorite of her teacher?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)