|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who were the Hungarians fighting when Piri was on the farm?
2. How did Piri hear from her parents?
(a) A messenger brought a letter.
(b) Her father showed up in Komjaty.
(c) Her grandfather got a messenger by passenger pigeon.
(d) Her grandmother got a telegram from her mother.
3. What did Piri expect her future to look like?
(a) She thought she would have to marry an officer.
(b) She thought she would work in a factory.
(c) She thought she would have to flee.
(d) She thought she would join the military.
4. How did Piri help Farenc?
(a) She gave him directions.
(b) She gave him a ride.
(c) She gave him food.
(d) She gave him bandages.
5. Where did Rozsi walk with Piri?
(a) To the school.
(b) To the train station.
(c) To the woods.
(d) To the hospital.
6. What had Mother failed to do when she came home at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) Secure passage to the country for the children.
(b) Get the police to condemn the Anti-Semites' attack.
(c) Make money.
(d) Secure visas for America.
7. Who is Molcha?
(a) A classmate of Piri's.
(b) Piri's teacher.
(c) Piri's cousin.
(d) A Hungarian soldier.
8. What was Piri's baby sister named?
9. Where was Mrs. Gerber's daughter?
10. Where were Piri and Iboya when they were nearly attacked?
(a) By the synagogue.
(b) In school.
(c) In the town center.
(d) In the yard.
11. What did mother express concern over?
(a) Piri's interest in boys.
(b) Rozsi's plans to go to America.
(c) Piri's relationship with her teacher.
(d) Rozsi's social life.
12. Who comes to the farm a few weeks after Piri's new sister is born?
13. How does Piri's father say people treat him?
(a) They look up to him because he is Hungarian.
(b) They look up to him because he is Ukrainian.
(c) They look down on him because he is Czech.
(d) They admire him because he is educated.
14. What does Farenc suggest in addition to what Piri told him?
(a) America is just as biased against Czechs.
(b) Piri's mother should move to the farm.
(c) It is already too late to try to flee.
(d) Babi should move in with Piri's mother.
15. How does Piri say the school routine changed in 1941?
(a) There were air attack drills all the time.
(b) The children did military drills instead of playing.
(c) Classes were smaller as children went to America or fled Europe.
(d) Some of the buildings had been turned into barracks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Piri a favorite of her teacher's?
2. What did Piri say that made her mother express concern?
3. To whom did Piri entrust a letter to her parents?
4. How does Piri characterize Father's farewell?
5. What did Farenc reveal to Piri?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)