|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farenc suggest in addition to what Piri told him?
(a) Babi should move in with Piri's mother.
(b) It is already too late to try to flee.
(c) Piri's mother should move to the farm.
(d) America is just as biased against Czechs.
2. What was Piri's father's position?
(c) Army officer.
3. Who were the Hungarians fighting when Piri was on the farm?
4. Where did Rozsi walk with Piri?
(a) To the train station.
(b) To the hospital.
(c) To the woods.
(d) To the school.
5. What did Mother prepare for Father's visit?
(a) Her clothes and Piri's.
(b) All the extra bedrooms.
(c) A great feast.
(d) She cleaned and painted the house.
6. Who is Molcha?
(a) Piri's cousin.
(b) Piri's teacher.
(c) A classmate of Piri's.
(d) A Hungarian soldier.
7. How does Piri's father say people treat him?
(a) They admire him because he is educated.
(b) They look down on him because he is Czech.
(c) They look up to him because he is Hungarian.
(d) They look up to him because he is Ukrainian.
8. Where were Piri and Iboya when they were nearly attacked?
(a) In school.
(b) In the town center.
(c) In the yard.
(d) By the synagogue.
9. How does Piri characterize her mother's state of mind on returning home in Chapter 8?
10. What had Babi done to help Mother make this attempt?
(a) Called some officials she knew.
(b) Sold some land.
(c) Withdrawn her savings.
(d) Told her who could forge papers.
11. What did Mother do for the Yiddish-speaking stranger?
(a) Fed her and cared for her baby.
(b) Gave her directions.
(c) Helped her get a visa to leave.
(d) Found her an apartment.
12. What did Farenc reveal to Piri?
(a) Komjaty was about to be shelled.
(b) The road to Beregszasz was closed.
(c) Komjaty was not going to be attacked.
(d) Her parents had escaped.
13. Who went back with Mother after the holiday?
(a) Only Father.
14. When did Mother finally see Father?
(a) She found him at the train station.
(b) She found him in town.
(c) He came in the night.
(d) He found her in the market.
15. Why was Piri cut off from her family at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) Trains to Beregszasz stopped running.
(b) She fled to America.
(c) They had to flee without her.
(d) She crossed the border into Ukraine.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Piri say the school routine changed in 1941?
2. What did Piri's disappointment tell her about the larger culture?
3. What was Farenc riding when Piri met him?
4. What did mother express concern over?
5. What grade did Piri start in 1941?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)