|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Father's battalion going to come through Beregszasz?
2. Where was Mrs. Gerber's daughter?
3. How did Beregszasz change for Piri's family?
(a) They were harassed constantly.
(b) They had to move out of their house.
(c) They had to keep a low profile as Jews.
(d) They were not allowed into certain districts.
4. What was Farenc riding when Piri met him?
(a) A tank.
(b) A stretcher.
(c) A horse.
(d) A motorcycle.
5. What happened when Farenc and reaction saw each other the first time?
(a) He kidnapped her.
(b) Love at first sight.
(c) She mistook him for her boyfriend.
(d) She gave him food.
6. Where did Mother and Mrs. Gerber wait for their men?
(a) The train station.
(b) The city center.
(c) The barracks.
(d) Their house.
7. What did Piri overhear when she was in bed after the incident?
(a) Mother confessed that she should have sent the children to America.
(b) Mother lamenting the fact that it was too late to escape now.
(c) Lilli getting hysterical about the war.
(d) Lilli arguing against going to America.
8. How did the war affect Piri's father's position?
(a) He was demoted.
(b) He was drafted.
(c) He was fired.
(d) He was promoted.
9. What was Father's expectation?
(a) He would die on the Russian front.
(b) He would run away as soon as he could.
(c) He and Lajos would be home soon.
(d) He would rise through the ranks.
10. Who is Farenc?
(a) A German soldier.
(b) A Ukrainian soldier.
(c) Piri's brother.
(d) A Hungarian policeman.
11. Mother was going to inquire into _________________.
(a) Whether she could still escape to the country.
(b) Whether she could still send the children to America.
(c) Whether to tell her husband.
(d) Whether she should make a complaint to the authorities.
12. Where did Mother take the woman?
(a) Mrs. Silverman's house.
(b) To the police.
(c) Mrs. Gerber's house.
(d) To the country.
13. Who is the narrator?
14. What did Mother do for the Yiddish-speaking stranger?
(a) Found her an apartment.
(b) Gave her directions.
(c) Helped her get a visa to leave.
(d) Fed her and cared for her baby.
15. What festivities did Babi prepare for, in spite of the fact that family wouldn't be able to gather?
(a) Rosh Hashanah.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Mother failed to do when she came home at the beginning of Chapter 8?
2. How long was it before Piri saw Farenc again?
3. What did Mother give Piri now that she was in the city?
4. How did Piri's family celebrate Hanukkah?
5. Who comes to the farm a few weeks after Piri's new sister is born?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)