|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the woman find in the place Mother took her to?
(a) Money and food.
(b) A hiding place for Jewish refugees.
(c) Work and support.
(d) Information about her family.
2. Where did Mother and Mrs. Gerber wait for their men?
(a) The train station.
(b) Their house.
(c) The city center.
(d) The barracks.
3. Who was Shimi Stern?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A policeman.
(c) A smuggler.
(d) A soldier.
4. What was Piri's baby sister named?
5. What did Piri overhear when she was in bed after the incident?
(a) Lilli getting hysterical about the war.
(b) Mother confessed that she should have sent the children to America.
(c) Lilli arguing against going to America.
(d) Mother lamenting the fact that it was too late to escape now.
6. What did Piri know about the political situation in 1939?
(a) She followed the papers, and tried to understand everything she could.
(b) She was too young to know anything about the political situation.
(c) She read a story about Jews being rounded up, but didn't understand the big picture.
(d) She read histories and talked to people who had traveled, to see what they could tell her.
7. Where was the woman from?
8. What was Piri's father's position?
(a) Army officer.
9. What was Mother's connection to Mrs. Gerber?
(a) They knew each other from childhood.
(b) They taught in the same school.
(c) Mrs. Gerber's husband was in the same battalion as Father.
(d) They worked in the same factory.
10. What political alliance took place at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) Vichy France joined Germany against the Free Zone.
(b) Germany joined Japan against France and Britain.
(c) Hungary joined Germany against Russia.
(d) The U.S. joined Britain and France against Germany.
11. Where was Mrs. Gerber's daughter?
12. What had Babi done to help Mother make this attempt?
(a) Called some officials she knew.
(b) Told her who could forge papers.
(c) Sold some land.
(d) Withdrawn her savings.
13. What was Piri's mood about school and her future?
14. Who is Farenc?
(a) A German soldier.
(b) A Hungarian policeman.
(c) Piri's brother.
(d) A Ukrainian soldier.
15. Where did Rozsi walk with Piri?
(a) To the school.
(b) To the train station.
(c) To the hospital.
(d) To the woods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Piri a favorite of her teacher's?
2. What did Rozsi say in her letters home?
3. What does Piri compare to her life in Komjaty?
4. What did Piri tell Farenc during the visit in Chapter 5?
5. What was Father's expectation?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)