|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary decide she must do as soon as possible?
2. What is Karl's major?
3. What makes it easier to hide Karl's death?
4. Who is Mary expecting shortly after receiving the telegram?
5. What does Karl do after laying Mary on the bed and kissing her repeatedly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary think about Rowley?
2. What does Rowley advise Mary to do before he leaves early that morning?
3. What is said between Rowley and Mary about Edgar and Mary's possible marriage to him?
4. What does Nina relate to Mary about what Nina learns from Agata?
5. Who wakes Mary and what does Mary tell the person?
6. How does the altercation between Karl and Mary resolve itself?
7. What is the first way Rowley suggests they handle the situation and what is Mary's response?
8. Where does Mary go and why is she relieved when she arrives there?
9. What does Rowley point out to Mary to reassure her?
10. How does the situation between Mary and Karl start to deteriorate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rowley isn't very favorably seen by his peers and Mary says that his biggest disgrace is that he's never had to work. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think it is harmful for someone to be "born into money"? What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of such a situation?
2. What character traits of Rowley's do you think are directly or indirectly attributable to his never having to work and have all the money he needs/wants? Discuss fully using examples from the text.
3. Assuming you have not been born into the same type of situation as Rowley, do you think you would want to have been born into a very wealthy family that did not require you to earn a living? Why or why not.
4. What do you think Rowley should have been (could be) doing differently with his money that might be more positive--or is it positive enough to just want to enjoy life? Explain fully.
Essay Topic 2
When Edgar is working up to proposing marriage to Mary and after his proposal, he lists the advantages of such a union. Discuss the following:
1. List three criteria which you believe are essential for a good marriage. Discuss why you choose those three and then discuss if you believe Mary and Edgar's relationship possesses those qualities. Use examples from the text.
2. List three criteria which you believe make a successful marriage impossible. Discuss why you choose those three and then discuss if you believe Mary and Edgar's relationship possesses those qualities. Use examples from the text.
3. Using the three criteria which you list for both a successful marriage and those which would greatly hinder a successful marriage, argue whether or not you believe Mary and Rowley's marriage will be successful or a failure based upon the six criteria you cited.
Essay Topic 3
Setting as far as place and time play an important role in Up at the Villa, if compared to twenty-first century's social mores. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast several aspects of the setting of that day from how it would be today. Consider things such as cultural norms/expectations, technology, religion and medicine.
2. Do you think Up at the Villa would be different if it were set in the United States of America in that same era? Consider particularly class issues.
3. What issues that are present in the time of Up at the Villa would still be issues today? What would no longer be issues? Consider such things as class, women's roles, sexual freedom, propriety and manners, and integrity.
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)