Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changes Karl's life?
2. What is Karl's major?
3. How does Mary explain the sound Nina heard?
4. Why does Mary tell Rowley that she has sex with Karl?
5. What does Mary decide she must do as soon as possible?
Setting as far as place and time play an important role in Up at the Villa, if compared to twenty-first century's social mores. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast several aspects of the setting of that day from how it would be today. Consider things such as cultural norms/expectations, technology, religion and medicine.
2. Do you think Up at the Villa would be different if it were set in the United States of America in that same era? Consider particularly class issues.
3. What issues that are present in the time of Up at the Villa would still be issues today? What would no longer be issues? Consider such things as class, women's roles, sexual freedom, propriety and manners, and integrity.
Maugham chooses to write the novel as a third person, impersonal narrator. Discuss the following:
1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this novel being written in the third person, impersonal narration?
2. Do you think the novel would be more effective in a different point of view? Which one if so? If not why do you think the impersonal narrator works the best?
3. Do you think the narrator in Up at the Villa is reliable, i.e., do you believe the narrator is completely unbiased? Explain your response.
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation whereby Mary thinks she is being good to Karl when he kills himself because of her actions. Find two other incidences of irony in Up at the Villa and discuss them.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use of and meaning of five symbols found in Up at the Villa.
3. Discuss the use of foreshadowing in literature. What is the purpose of foreshadowing? Cite three examples of foreshadowing and how it is used to indicate events to come in Up at the Villa.
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)