|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mary angry with Rowley after he leaves?
2. What is Karl doing after Mary and he have sex?
3. Why does Mary call Rowley for help?
4. Where is Mary when she receives a telegram?
5. What does Mary look for as soon as Nina leaves the bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What startles Mary soon after Karl kills himself?
2. How does Karl end up in a concentration camp and how does he get to Italy?
3. How does the situation between Mary and Karl start to deteriorate?
4. What are Mary's thoughts as she is getting read to go to the luncheon?
5. What does Rowley ask for that upsets Mary?
6. How does Mary feel about what Karl tells her about his life?
7. What does the Princess say about the party from the previous evening?
8. What is said between Rowley and Mary about Edgar and Mary's possible marriage to him?
9. What does Mary think about Rowley?
10. What does Nina relate to Mary about what Nina learns from Agata?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Edgar is working up to proposing marriage to Mary and after his proposal, he lists the advantages of such a union. Discuss the following:
1. List three criteria which you believe are essential for a good marriage. Discuss why you choose those three and then discuss if you believe Mary and Edgar's relationship possesses those qualities. Use examples from the text.
2. List three criteria which you believe make a successful marriage impossible. Discuss why you choose those three and then discuss if you believe Mary and Edgar's relationship possesses those qualities. Use examples from the text.
3. Using the three criteria which you list for both a successful marriage and those which would greatly hinder a successful marriage, argue whether or not you believe Mary and Rowley's marriage will be successful or a failure based upon the six criteria you cited.
Essay Topic 2
Up at the Villa takes place in Tuscany, Italy in the late 1930s. Discuss the following:
1. Research and discuss the political setting of Italy and Europe in the late 1930s. How do you think the political situation informs the plot of Up at the Villa? Explain.
2. Discuss the lives of Mary and her social group in light of what is taking place in Europe in the late 1930s. Do you think they are unaware of the pending horror that is about to be unleashed? Do their behaviors seem superficial considering that refugees are coming into Italy (not just Karl) escaping an increasingly tyrannical Germany?
3. Do you think a novel set in Europe in this area can be successful when it ignores the dire situation in Europe? Discuss your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Up at the Villa based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Up at the Villa is a successful novel.
3. Is Up at the Villa a novel you would recommend to a friend? Why or why not? Explain.
4. Can a novel be successful and yet many readers not enjoy it? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)