|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mary supposed to be at one o'clock?
2. What does Karl do when Mary pulls out her gun?
3. What does the Princess ask Mary?
4. Why does Mary decide she will tell Edgar the truth about her and Karl?
5. What does Mary impulsively offer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene of Mary and Rowley getting rid of Karl's body.
2. What does Rowley ask for that upsets Mary?
3. Why does Mary call Rowley?
4. What does Rowley point out to Mary to reassure her?
5. What does the Princess say about the party from the previous evening?
6. What is said between Rowley and Mary about Edgar and Mary's possible marriage to him?
7. How does the altercation between Karl and Mary resolve itself?
8. What does Nina relate to Mary about what Nina learns from Agata?
9. Describe Karl's life in Austria.
10. What does Mary rush to her dresser to find and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Up at the Villa based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Up at the Villa is a successful novel.
3. Is Up at the Villa a novel you would recommend to a friend? Why or why not? Explain.
4. Can a novel be successful and yet many readers not enjoy it? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 4, when Karl and Mary are walking in the garden, Mary is suddenly beset with the idea of giving him the gift of a sexual encounter and they go back into the house together. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Mary has thought through the idea of having sex with Karl long enough?
2. Can a one-time, sexual encounter with a stranger be a gift? Do you think it would be something that is kind and loving to do?
3. Other than making Karl feel good for a few hours, could Mary's gift be of any long term value?
4. Do you think Karl is ungrateful to not just accept Mary's gift and willingness to be kind to a stranger?
Essay Topic 3
Mary and Rowley take Karl's body and dump it in some weeds, though they really have done nothing criminally wrong. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Mary and Rowley do the best thing considering the circumstances? What could they have done differently? Is it conceivable that Mary is correct in fearing being arrested?
2. Do you think Mary is directly responsible for Karl's death? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Mary is morally responsible for Karl's death? Why or why not?
4. What do you think Mary could have done to prevent Karl from killing himself?
5. What would you have done in Mary's place when Karl first expresses his desire to see Mary again?
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)