|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About whom does the conversation turn to?
2. What does Karl's landlady know about Karl just before his disappearance?
3. What is Rowley's suggestion since Mary doesn't want to call the police?
4. What is Karl doing after Mary and he have sex?
5. What is Karl's major?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Karl's life in Austria.
2. What does the Princess say about the party from the previous evening?
3. What does the Princess learn about the violinist and what is her response?
4. Describe the scene of Mary and Rowley getting rid of Karl's body.
5. How does Karl end up in a concentration camp and how does he get to Italy?
6. What are Mary's thoughts as she is getting read to go to the luncheon?
7. What does Nina relate to Mary about what Nina learns from Agata?
8. What does Rowley advise Mary to do before he leaves early that morning?
9. What is said between Rowley and Mary about Edgar and Mary's possible marriage to him?
10. How does Mary appear as she leaves for the luncheon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Edgar is working up to proposing marriage to Mary and after his proposal, he lists the advantages of such a union. Discuss the following:
1. List three criteria which you believe are essential for a good marriage. Discuss why you choose those three and then discuss if you believe Mary and Edgar's relationship possesses those qualities. Use examples from the text.
2. List three criteria which you believe make a successful marriage impossible. Discuss why you choose those three and then discuss if you believe Mary and Edgar's relationship possesses those qualities. Use examples from the text.
3. Using the three criteria which you list for both a successful marriage and those which would greatly hinder a successful marriage, argue whether or not you believe Mary and Rowley's marriage will be successful or a failure based upon the six criteria you cited.
Essay Topic 2
Titles are thought to be very important in both giving the reader a clue about the story and enticing one to read a book. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Up at the Villa is the chosen title for this novel?
2. Do you think this title would entice you to read this novel? Why or why not?
3. Do you think this rather nondescript title reflects the story it heralds? Explain your response using examples from the book.
4. If you had to title this novel in order to encourage more readers, what would you name it and why?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 4, when Karl and Mary are walking in the garden, Mary is suddenly beset with the idea of giving him the gift of a sexual encounter and they go back into the house together. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Mary has thought through the idea of having sex with Karl long enough?
2. Can a one-time, sexual encounter with a stranger be a gift? Do you think it would be something that is kind and loving to do?
3. Other than making Karl feel good for a few hours, could Mary's gift be of any long term value?
4. Do you think Karl is ungrateful to not just accept Mary's gift and willingness to be kind to a stranger?
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)