|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mary explain the sound Nina heard?
2. What does Mary decide she must do as soon as possible?
3. Why is Rowley driving fast?
4. What is Karl doing after Mary and he have sex?
5. Why does Mary think of the handgun in her purse?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Karl end up in a concentration camp and how does he get to Italy?
2. What does Mary do that causes Karl to become even more angry and what is Karl's reply?
3. What does the Princess say about the party from the previous evening?
4. Where does Mary go and why is she relieved when she arrives there?
5. How does Karl act when Mary pulls out the gun out of her purse?
6. What does Mary rush to her dresser to find and why?
7. What does Nina relate to Mary about what Nina learns from Agata?
8. What does Rowley ask for that upsets Mary?
9. What startles Mary soon after Karl kills himself?
10. How does Mary appear as she leaves for the luncheon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary and Rowley take Karl's body and dump it in some weeds, though they really have done nothing criminally wrong. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Mary and Rowley do the best thing considering the circumstances? What could they have done differently? Is it conceivable that Mary is correct in fearing being arrested?
2. Do you think Mary is directly responsible for Karl's death? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Mary is morally responsible for Karl's death? Why or why not?
4. What do you think Mary could have done to prevent Karl from killing himself?
5. What would you have done in Mary's place when Karl first expresses his desire to see Mary again?
Essay Topic 2
When Edgar is working up to proposing marriage to Mary and after his proposal, he lists the advantages of such a union. Discuss the following:
1. List three criteria which you believe are essential for a good marriage. Discuss why you choose those three and then discuss if you believe Mary and Edgar's relationship possesses those qualities. Use examples from the text.
2. List three criteria which you believe make a successful marriage impossible. Discuss why you choose those three and then discuss if you believe Mary and Edgar's relationship possesses those qualities. Use examples from the text.
3. Using the three criteria which you list for both a successful marriage and those which would greatly hinder a successful marriage, argue whether or not you believe Mary and Rowley's marriage will be successful or a failure based upon the six criteria you cited.
Essay Topic 3
Edgar had been a family friend from the time of Mary's youth. She says that when she was nineteen, her mother pointed out that Edgar was in love with her and Mary had dismissed the idea, saying that Edgar - at forty-three - was "an old man." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think many marriages where there is over twenty years difference in age can be successful? Explain your answers with examples from your personal knowledge and from the text.
2. What do you think is the likelihood that marriage to Edgar would be fulfilling and happy for Mary? Give examples from the text to support your statements.
3. What do you think is the likelihood that marriage to Mary would be fulfilling and happy for Edgar? Give examples from the text to support your statements.
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)