|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary tell Rowley that she has sex with Karl?
2. What does Mary recall Rowley telling her?
3. Why does Mary call Rowley for help?
4. What does Mary do at the end of the chapter?
5. What is rumored about Karl?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Princess learn about the violinist and what is her response?
2. Describe Karl's life in Austria.
3. How does the altercation between Karl and Mary resolve itself?
4. How does Karl end up in a concentration camp and how does he get to Italy?
5. What is the first way Rowley suggests they handle the situation and what is Mary's response?
6. What does Nina relate to Mary about what Nina learns from Agata?
7. What does Mary rush to her dresser to find and why?
8. What does Rowley advise Mary to do before he leaves early that morning?
9. What is said between Rowley and Mary about Edgar and Mary's possible marriage to him?
10. What does Mary think about Rowley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
W. Somerset Maugham was quite a prolific writer and lead a somewhat unconventional life for the times. Discuss the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay about the life of W. Somerset Maugham.
2. In what ways do Maugham's beliefs seem to be reflected in Up at the Villa?
3. Do you think Maugham is more like Swift or Flint? Explain your answer with examples from your research and the text.
4. How much of an author's personality do you think is reflected in his/her writing? Can an author keep him/herself completely out of the text? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
When Edgar is working up to proposing marriage to Mary and after his proposal, he lists the advantages of such a union. Discuss the following:
1. List three criteria which you believe are essential for a good marriage. Discuss why you choose those three and then discuss if you believe Mary and Edgar's relationship possesses those qualities. Use examples from the text.
2. List three criteria which you believe make a successful marriage impossible. Discuss why you choose those three and then discuss if you believe Mary and Edgar's relationship possesses those qualities. Use examples from the text.
3. Using the three criteria which you list for both a successful marriage and those which would greatly hinder a successful marriage, argue whether or not you believe Mary and Rowley's marriage will be successful or a failure based upon the six criteria you cited.
Essay Topic 3
Plots are sometimes said to be either character-driven or action-driven. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think Up at the Villa is more character-driven or action-driven? Explain.
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)