|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary tell Karl the reason she has sex with him?
2. What does Rowley say about the gun?
3. About whom does the conversation turn to?
4. What does Karl do after laying Mary on the bed and kissing her repeatedly?
5. Why doesn't Mary think it would be wise to call the police?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary call Rowley?
2. How does Karl act when Mary pulls out the gun out of her purse?
3. What does Mary rush to her dresser to find and why?
4. Who wakes Mary and what does Mary tell the person?
5. Describe Karl's life in Austria.
6. What is the first way Rowley suggests they handle the situation and what is Mary's response?
7. What does Rowley point out to Mary to reassure her?
8. How does Mary feel about what Karl tells her about his life?
9. What does Rowley ask for that upsets Mary?
10. What does Mary do that causes Karl to become even more angry and what is Karl's reply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Up at the Villa based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Up at the Villa is a successful novel.
3. Is Up at the Villa a novel you would recommend to a friend? Why or why not? Explain.
4. Can a novel be successful and yet many readers not enjoy it? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 4, when Karl and Mary are walking in the garden, Mary is suddenly beset with the idea of giving him the gift of a sexual encounter and they go back into the house together. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Mary has thought through the idea of having sex with Karl long enough?
2. Can a one-time, sexual encounter with a stranger be a gift? Do you think it would be something that is kind and loving to do?
3. Other than making Karl feel good for a few hours, could Mary's gift be of any long term value?
4. Do you think Karl is ungrateful to not just accept Mary's gift and willingness to be kind to a stranger?
Essay Topic 3
Edgar had been a family friend from the time of Mary's youth. She says that when she was nineteen, her mother pointed out that Edgar was in love with her and Mary had dismissed the idea, saying that Edgar - at forty-three - was "an old man." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think many marriages where there is over twenty years difference in age can be successful? Explain your answers with examples from your personal knowledge and from the text.
2. What do you think is the likelihood that marriage to Edgar would be fulfilling and happy for Mary? Give examples from the text to support your statements.
3. What do you think is the likelihood that marriage to Mary would be fulfilling and happy for Edgar? Give examples from the text to support your statements.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)