|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rowley insist that Mary do?
2. What does Karl's landlady know about Karl just before his disappearance?
3. Who awakens Mary the next day after Karl's death?
4. What does Mary say that further angers Karl?
5. What does Mary say in response to Rowley's explanation about Karl's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Karl act when Mary pulls out the gun out of her purse?
2. Why does Mary call Rowley?
3. What does Mary do that causes Karl to become even more angry and what is Karl's reply?
4. Where does Mary go and why is she relieved when she arrives there?
5. How does Karl end up in a concentration camp and how does he get to Italy?
6. Describe Karl's life in Austria.
7. What startles Mary soon after Karl kills himself?
8. How does Mary feel about what Karl tells her about his life?
9. What does Rowley ask for that upsets Mary?
10. Who wakes Mary and what does Mary tell the person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maugham chooses to write the novel as a third person, impersonal narrator. Discuss the following:
1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this novel being written in the third person, impersonal narration?
2. Do you think the novel would be more effective in a different point of view? Which one if so? If not why do you think the impersonal narrator works the best?
3. Do you think the narrator in Up at the Villa is reliable, i.e., do you believe the narrator is completely unbiased? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Titles are thought to be very important in both giving the reader a clue about the story and enticing one to read a book. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Up at the Villa is the chosen title for this novel?
2. Do you think this title would entice you to read this novel? Why or why not?
3. Do you think this rather nondescript title reflects the story it heralds? Explain your response using examples from the book.
4. If you had to title this novel in order to encourage more readers, what would you name it and why?
Essay Topic 3
Rowley isn't very favorably seen by his peers and Mary says that his biggest disgrace is that he's never had to work. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think it is harmful for someone to be "born into money"? What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of such a situation?
2. What character traits of Rowley's do you think are directly or indirectly attributable to his never having to work and have all the money he needs/wants? Discuss fully using examples from the text.
3. Assuming you have not been born into the same type of situation as Rowley, do you think you would want to have been born into a very wealthy family that did not require you to earn a living? Why or why not.
4. What do you think Rowley should have been (could be) doing differently with his money that might be more positive--or is it positive enough to just want to enjoy life? Explain fully.
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)