|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edgar want Mary to carry with her to Florence?
2. In what century is the Tuscan villa built?
3. What is Rowley's parting shot at Mary?
4. Of what is Colonel Trail very complimentary?
5. What does Mary make Karl?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary point out about Rowley's reputation and what is his response?
2. How does Rowley find the handgun in Mary's purse and how does that change the conversation?
3. How has Mary been spending her time lately and what bearing does that have to do with Mary being at the villa?
4. What does narration say of the villa in which Mary is staying?
5. What is Mary's response to Rowley's questions about Edgar and how does Rowley respond?
6. What does Mary say about why she marries Matthew Panton?
7. What does Mary think about Edgar's job prospects?
8. What are the topics of conversation between Rowley and Mary?
9. What is passed around at the end of the party and what does Mary do?
10. How long has Mary known Edgar and what was Mary's mother's opinion of the man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 4, the conversation between Karl and Mary turns to age and he says that he's twenty-three. She seems wistful, saying that he has the opportunities of youth in front of him, but Karl says that he's imprisoned by poverty. He admits to having no real plans for his future and presents a picture of hopelessness. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Karl is truly "imprisoned" by poverty? Why or why not?
2. What do you think Karl could do to break out of the prison of poverty? Why do you think he is either unable or unwilling?
3. Why do you think it is so hard to move out of poverty either then or now? What do you think it takes to move from poverty to plenty or even great wealth?
4. Is your personality such that you think you would be one of the few who do manage to break out of poverty if you were very poor? Explain how you might differ from Karl.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation whereby Mary thinks she is being good to Karl when he kills himself because of her actions. Find two other incidences of irony in Up at the Villa and discuss them.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use of and meaning of five symbols found in Up at the Villa.
3. Discuss the use of foreshadowing in literature. What is the purpose of foreshadowing? Cite three examples of foreshadowing and how it is used to indicate events to come in Up at the Villa.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Up at the Villa based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Up at the Villa is a successful novel.
3. Is Up at the Villa a novel you would recommend to a friend? Why or why not? Explain.
4. Can a novel be successful and yet many readers not enjoy it? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)