|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Rowley concerned?
2. Of what nationality is Princess San Ferdinando?
3. Why does Karl Richter take the job at the restaurant as a violinist?
4. Why is Rowley Flint invited to the party?
5. What does Edgar ask Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Edgar bring up the subject of marriage to Mary?
2. What is Mary's response to Rowley's questions about Edgar and how does Rowley respond?
3. What does narration say of the villa in which Mary is staying?
4. What is surprising about Mary's response to Edgar's proposal?
5. How does Mary end up driving Rowley to his hotel and what happens?
6. Why does the Princess choose the restaurant they are at for the party and how is she disappointed?
7. What is paradoxical about the Princess's personality?
8. Why does Rowley propose to Mary and how does she respond?
9. What does the Colonel think of Edgar's prospects in his career?
10. Why is Mary conflicted about attending the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Edgar is working up to proposing marriage to Mary and after his proposal, he lists the advantages of such a union. Discuss the following:
1. List three criteria which you believe are essential for a good marriage. Discuss why you choose those three and then discuss if you believe Mary and Edgar's relationship possesses those qualities. Use examples from the text.
2. List three criteria which you believe make a successful marriage impossible. Discuss why you choose those three and then discuss if you believe Mary and Edgar's relationship possesses those qualities. Use examples from the text.
3. Using the three criteria which you list for both a successful marriage and those which would greatly hinder a successful marriage, argue whether or not you believe Mary and Rowley's marriage will be successful or a failure based upon the six criteria you cited.
Essay Topic 2
Mary and Rowley take Karl's body and dump it in some weeds, though they really have done nothing criminally wrong. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Mary and Rowley do the best thing considering the circumstances? What could they have done differently? Is it conceivable that Mary is correct in fearing being arrested?
2. Do you think Mary is directly responsible for Karl's death? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Mary is morally responsible for Karl's death? Why or why not?
4. What do you think Mary could have done to prevent Karl from killing himself?
5. What would you have done in Mary's place when Karl first expresses his desire to see Mary again?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 4, the conversation between Karl and Mary turns to age and he says that he's twenty-three. She seems wistful, saying that he has the opportunities of youth in front of him, but Karl says that he's imprisoned by poverty. He admits to having no real plans for his future and presents a picture of hopelessness. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Karl is truly "imprisoned" by poverty? Why or why not?
2. What do you think Karl could do to break out of the prison of poverty? Why do you think he is either unable or unwilling?
3. Why do you think it is so hard to move out of poverty either then or now? What do you think it takes to move from poverty to plenty or even great wealth?
4. Is your personality such that you think you would be one of the few who do manage to break out of poverty if you were very poor? Explain how you might differ from Karl.
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)