|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens as the party is about to end?
2. About what did Mary and Matthew fight?
3. What does Mary decide to give Karl as a gift?
4. Why does Mary drive around the area?
5. How does Mary respond to Edgar's question?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rowley find the handgun in Mary's purse and how does that change the conversation?
2. What does Mary point out about Rowley's reputation and what is his response?
3. What does Mary rush to her dresser to find and why?
4. Describe the scene of Mary and Rowley getting rid of Karl's body.
5. How does Edgar bring up his marriage proposal to Mary and what does he say about it?
6. How does Rowley guess that Mary turns down Edgar to be her husband?
7. What is paradoxical about the Princess's personality?
8. How long has Mary known Edgar and what was Mary's mother's opinion of the man?
9. Why does Mary call Rowley?
10. What is Mary's response to Rowley's suggestion?
Essay Topic 1
Mary and Rowley take Karl's body and dump it in some weeds, though they really have done nothing criminally wrong. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Mary and Rowley do the best thing considering the circumstances? What could they have done differently? Is it conceivable that Mary is correct in fearing being arrested?
2. Do you think Mary is directly responsible for Karl's death? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Mary is morally responsible for Karl's death? Why or why not?
4. What do you think Mary could have done to prevent Karl from killing himself?
5. What would you have done in Mary's place when Karl first expresses his desire to see Mary again?
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 4, when Karl and Mary are walking in the garden, Mary is suddenly beset with the idea of giving him the gift of a sexual encounter and they go back into the house together. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Mary has thought through the idea of having sex with Karl long enough?
2. Can a one-time, sexual encounter with a stranger be a gift? Do you think it would be something that is kind and loving to do?
3. Other than making Karl feel good for a few hours, could Mary's gift be of any long term value?
4. Do you think Karl is ungrateful to not just accept Mary's gift and willingness to be kind to a stranger?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 8, Mary discusses her previous marriage with Matthew by saying that Matthew was charming, kind and fun until he was drinking and that even from the beginning she was distressed and ashamed of him when he went into drunken rages. Mary tells Rowley that she tried desperately to save Matthew from the drinking but that she couldn't, though sometimes they'd have horrible fights over it. Mary admits that she came to despise Matthew, knowing as she did about his secretive drinking and the affairs, but says she felt he was so dependent on her that she couldn't bring herself to end the marriage. Discuss the following:
1. Research and write a brief definition with examples of the term "co-dependent."
2. Do you think Mary is co-dependent with Matthew by the descriptions she gives of her behavior with him? Why or why not. Be sure to include specific examples to support your points.
3. In what other situations is Mary co-dependent? Be specific.
4. Do you think Mary is cured of her codependency by the end of the novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 3,296 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)