|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rowley suggest Mary and he go that night?
2. For what is the Princess known?
3. What position does Mary believe Edgar might be offered?
4. Why does Mary drive around the area?
5. What is Mary doing at the opening of chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mary conflicted about attending the party?
2. What are the topics of conversation between Rowley and Mary?
3. What is paradoxical about the Princess's personality?
4. What is Mary's response to Rowley's questions about Edgar and how does Rowley respond?
5. What does narration say of the villa in which Mary is staying?
6. What sort of arrangements does Edgar make with Ciro?
7. What does Mary think about Edgar's job prospects?
8. Why does Rowley propose to Mary and how does she respond?
9. What does Mary say about why she marries Matthew Panton?
10. What does the Colonel think of Edgar's prospects in his career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation whereby Mary thinks she is being good to Karl when he kills himself because of her actions. Find two other incidences of irony in Up at the Villa and discuss them.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use of and meaning of five symbols found in Up at the Villa.
3. Discuss the use of foreshadowing in literature. What is the purpose of foreshadowing? Cite three examples of foreshadowing and how it is used to indicate events to come in Up at the Villa.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Rowley Flint with Edgar Swift. How are they alike? How are they different? Are they sympathetic characters? Who would you most likely have as a friend? Why? Is each one believable? Why or why not?
2. Compare/contrast Rowley Flint with Karl Richter. How are they alike? How are they different? Are they sympathetic characters? Who would you most likely have as a friend? Why? Is each one believable? Why or why not?
3. Compare/contrast Mary as she seems early in the book and in her flashbacks to how Mary is by the end of the book. Is she the same? Different? Wiser? More or less daring? Is she likable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
W. Somerset Maugham was quite a prolific writer and lead a somewhat unconventional life for the times. Discuss the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay about the life of W. Somerset Maugham.
2. In what ways do Maugham's beliefs seem to be reflected in Up at the Villa?
3. Do you think Maugham is more like Swift or Flint? Explain your answer with examples from your research and the text.
4. How much of an author's personality do you think is reflected in his/her writing? Can an author keep him/herself completely out of the text? Why or why not.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)