|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Rowley Flint invited to the party?
2. Why couldn't Mary end the marriage?
3. What ashamed Mary about Matthew?
4. Why does Mary drive around the area?
5. How does Mary describe how Matthew was at first?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Edgar respond to Mary's declining his proposal of marriage?
2. What are Mary's thoughts as she is getting read to go to the luncheon?
3. What does narration say of the villa in which Mary is staying?
4. What does the Princess say about the party from the previous evening?
5. How does Mary end up driving Rowley to his hotel and what happens?
6. How does Karl end up in a concentration camp and how does he get to Italy?
7. How does Karl present himself?
8. Why does Mary call Rowley?
9. How long has Mary known Edgar and what was Mary's mother's opinion of the man?
10. What does Rowley advise Mary to do before he leaves early that morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary and Rowley take Karl's body and dump it in some weeds, though they really have done nothing criminally wrong. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Mary and Rowley do the best thing considering the circumstances? What could they have done differently? Is it conceivable that Mary is correct in fearing being arrested?
2. Do you think Mary is directly responsible for Karl's death? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Mary is morally responsible for Karl's death? Why or why not?
4. What do you think Mary could have done to prevent Karl from killing himself?
5. What would you have done in Mary's place when Karl first expresses his desire to see Mary again?
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 8, Mary discusses her previous marriage with Matthew by saying that Matthew was charming, kind and fun until he was drinking and that even from the beginning she was distressed and ashamed of him when he went into drunken rages. Mary tells Rowley that she tried desperately to save Matthew from the drinking but that she couldn't, though sometimes they'd have horrible fights over it. Mary admits that she came to despise Matthew, knowing as she did about his secretive drinking and the affairs, but says she felt he was so dependent on her that she couldn't bring herself to end the marriage. Discuss the following:
1. Research and write a brief definition with examples of the term "co-dependent."
2. Do you think Mary is co-dependent with Matthew by the descriptions she gives of her behavior with him? Why or why not. Be sure to include specific examples to support your points.
3. In what other situations is Mary co-dependent? Be specific.
4. Do you think Mary is cured of her codependency by the end of the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
W. Somerset Maugham was quite a prolific writer and lead a somewhat unconventional life for the times. Discuss the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay about the life of W. Somerset Maugham.
2. In what ways do Maugham's beliefs seem to be reflected in Up at the Villa?
3. Do you think Maugham is more like Swift or Flint? Explain your answer with examples from your research and the text.
4. How much of an author's personality do you think is reflected in his/her writing? Can an author keep him/herself completely out of the text? Why or why not.
This section contains 3,321 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)