|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city can Mary see from the terrace of the villa?
2. What does Edgar want Mary to carry with her to Florence?
3. What does Edgar give Ciro?
4. Who is Princess San Ferdinanado?
5. When did Matthew change?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Mary and Edgar talk about initially when he arrives at Mary's villa?
2. Who wakes Mary and what does Mary tell the person?
3. Why is Mary conflicted about attending the party?
4. What does Mary say about why she marries Matthew Panton?
5. How does Mary appear as she leaves for the luncheon?
6. What does Rowley ask for that upsets Mary?
7. What is Mary's response to Rowley's suggestion?
8. What are the topics of conversation between Rowley and Mary?
9. What is Mary's response to Rowley's questions about Edgar and how does Rowley respond?
10. What does Edgar say about his job in relation to what Mary reveals to him about the situation with Karl?
Essay Topic 1
W. Somerset Maugham was quite a prolific writer and lead a somewhat unconventional life for the times. Discuss the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay about the life of W. Somerset Maugham.
2. In what ways do Maugham's beliefs seem to be reflected in Up at the Villa?
3. Do you think Maugham is more like Swift or Flint? Explain your answer with examples from your research and the text.
4. How much of an author's personality do you think is reflected in his/her writing? Can an author keep him/herself completely out of the text? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Titles are thought to be very important in both giving the reader a clue about the story and enticing one to read a book. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Up at the Villa is the chosen title for this novel?
2. Do you think this title would entice you to read this novel? Why or why not?
3. Do you think this rather nondescript title reflects the story it heralds? Explain your response using examples from the book.
4. If you had to title this novel in order to encourage more readers, what would you name it and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation whereby Mary thinks she is being good to Karl when he kills himself because of her actions. Find two other incidences of irony in Up at the Villa and discuss them.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use of and meaning of five symbols found in Up at the Villa.
3. Discuss the use of foreshadowing in literature. What is the purpose of foreshadowing? Cite three examples of foreshadowing and how it is used to indicate events to come in Up at the Villa.
This section contains 3,274 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)