|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary do with a hundred lira note?
2. What does Rowley say to Mary?
3. Who owns the villa?
4. What city can Mary see from the terrace of the villa?
5. What is Rowley's parting shot at Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of arrangements does Edgar make with Ciro?
2. What is Mary's response to Rowley's questions about Edgar and how does Rowley respond?
3. What is surprising about Mary's response to Edgar's proposal?
4. How does Mary meet Karl Richter?
5. How does Mary end up driving Rowley to his hotel and what happens?
6. What is passed around at the end of the party and what does Mary do?
7. What does the Colonel think of Edgar's prospects in his career?
8. What is paradoxical about the Princess's personality?
9. How has Mary been spending her time lately and what bearing does that have to do with Mary being at the villa?
10. What does Mary point out about Rowley's reputation and what is his response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though Mary is fully an adult in her early thirties and has had an abusive marriage, she is still rather naive, though she seems to mature and become more of an adult by the end of the novel. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman, or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of Mary as she changes from a rather naive woman to a sadder, but wiser, woman. What are the significant events in this brief week that change Mary?
3. After thoroughly analyzing Mary's growth, do you think Up at the Villa could be considered Mary's Coming of Age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in Up at the Villa who go through a Coming of Age experience? Who? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 2
W. Somerset Maugham was quite a prolific writer and lead a somewhat unconventional life for the times. Discuss the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay about the life of W. Somerset Maugham.
2. In what ways do Maugham's beliefs seem to be reflected in Up at the Villa?
3. Do you think Maugham is more like Swift or Flint? Explain your answer with examples from your research and the text.
4. How much of an author's personality do you think is reflected in his/her writing? Can an author keep him/herself completely out of the text? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Rowley Flint with Edgar Swift. How are they alike? How are they different? Are they sympathetic characters? Who would you most likely have as a friend? Why? Is each one believable? Why or why not?
2. Compare/contrast Rowley Flint with Karl Richter. How are they alike? How are they different? Are they sympathetic characters? Who would you most likely have as a friend? Why? Is each one believable? Why or why not?
3. Compare/contrast Mary as she seems early in the book and in her flashbacks to how Mary is by the end of the book. Is she the same? Different? Wiser? More or less daring? Is she likable? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)