|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rowley find in her purse?
2. About what did Mary and Matthew fight?
3. What does Karl say he would like to do that night?
4. What does Mary ask Rowley to hand her from her purse?
5. What does Mary make clear to Rowley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to distress Mary about Matthew?
2. How does Mary end up driving Rowley to his hotel and what happens?
3. How has Mary been spending her time lately and what bearing does that have to do with Mary being at the villa?
4. How does Mary meet Karl Richter?
5. How does Edgar bring up the subject of marriage to Mary?
6. What is passed around at the end of the party and what does Mary do?
7. What does Mary point out about Rowley's reputation and what is his response?
8. Why does the Princess choose the restaurant they are at for the party and how is she disappointed?
9. How does Mary begin to respond to Matthew's drinking?
10. Why is Mary conflicted about attending the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though Mary is fully an adult in her early thirties and has had an abusive marriage, she is still rather naive, though she seems to mature and become more of an adult by the end of the novel. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman, or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of Mary as she changes from a rather naive woman to a sadder, but wiser, woman. What are the significant events in this brief week that change Mary?
3. After thoroughly analyzing Mary's growth, do you think Up at the Villa could be considered Mary's Coming of Age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in Up at the Villa who go through a Coming of Age experience? Who? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 2
Mary and Rowley take Karl's body and dump it in some weeds, though they really have done nothing criminally wrong. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Mary and Rowley do the best thing considering the circumstances? What could they have done differently? Is it conceivable that Mary is correct in fearing being arrested?
2. Do you think Mary is directly responsible for Karl's death? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Mary is morally responsible for Karl's death? Why or why not?
4. What do you think Mary could have done to prevent Karl from killing himself?
5. What would you have done in Mary's place when Karl first expresses his desire to see Mary again?
Essay Topic 3
W. Somerset Maugham was quite a prolific writer and lead a somewhat unconventional life for the times. Discuss the following:
1. Research and write an informative essay about the life of W. Somerset Maugham.
2. In what ways do Maugham's beliefs seem to be reflected in Up at the Villa?
3. Do you think Maugham is more like Swift or Flint? Explain your answer with examples from your research and the text.
4. How much of an author's personality do you think is reflected in his/her writing? Can an author keep him/herself completely out of the text? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)