|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mary's mother point out to Mary when Mary was 19?
2. Where does Rowley suggest Mary and he go that night?
3. What does Mary think about on the way to the party?
4. What does Mary wish she had done?
5. What does Mary decide to give Karl as a gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the topics of conversation between Rowley and Mary?
2. What does narration say of the villa in which Mary is staying?
3. How does Edgar bring up the subject of marriage to Mary?
4. What does Mary say about why she marries Matthew Panton?
5. What happens to distress Mary about Matthew?
6. How does Mary meet Karl Richter?
7. What is paradoxical about the Princess's personality?
8. What is passed around at the end of the party and what does Mary do?
9. How does Rowley find the handgun in Mary's purse and how does that change the conversation?
10. How does Mary begin to respond to Matthew's drinking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Plots are sometimes said to be either character-driven or action-driven. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think Up at the Villa is more character-driven or action-driven? Explain.
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Edgar had been a family friend from the time of Mary's youth. She says that when she was nineteen, her mother pointed out that Edgar was in love with her and Mary had dismissed the idea, saying that Edgar - at forty-three - was "an old man." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think many marriages where there is over twenty years difference in age can be successful? Explain your answers with examples from your personal knowledge and from the text.
2. What do you think is the likelihood that marriage to Edgar would be fulfilling and happy for Mary? Give examples from the text to support your statements.
3. What do you think is the likelihood that marriage to Mary would be fulfilling and happy for Edgar? Give examples from the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Rowley isn't very favorably seen by his peers and Mary says that his biggest disgrace is that he's never had to work. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think it is harmful for someone to be "born into money"? What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of such a situation?
2. What character traits of Rowley's do you think are directly or indirectly attributable to his never having to work and have all the money he needs/wants? Discuss fully using examples from the text.
3. Assuming you have not been born into the same type of situation as Rowley, do you think you would want to have been born into a very wealthy family that did not require you to earn a living? Why or why not.
4. What do you think Rowley should have been (could be) doing differently with his money that might be more positive--or is it positive enough to just want to enjoy life? Explain fully.
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)