|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rowley suggest Mary and he go that night?
2. What is Rowley's parting shot at Mary?
3. What happens as the party is about to end?
4. Of what is Rowley concerned?
5. About what do Mary and Rowley speak at length?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of arrangements does Edgar make with Ciro?
2. What happens to distress Mary about Matthew?
3. What is passed around at the end of the party and what does Mary do?
4. How does Mary end up driving Rowley to his hotel and what happens?
5. What is paradoxical about the Princess's personality?
6. How does Karl present himself?
7. What does Mary think of the Princess' comments on marriage to Edgar?
8. How long has Mary known Edgar and what was Mary's mother's opinion of the man?
9. How does Edgar bring up the subject of marriage to Mary?
10. What does Mary think about Edgar's job prospects?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Edgar had been a family friend from the time of Mary's youth. She says that when she was nineteen, her mother pointed out that Edgar was in love with her and Mary had dismissed the idea, saying that Edgar - at forty-three - was "an old man." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think many marriages where there is over twenty years difference in age can be successful? Explain your answers with examples from your personal knowledge and from the text.
2. What do you think is the likelihood that marriage to Edgar would be fulfilling and happy for Mary? Give examples from the text to support your statements.
3. What do you think is the likelihood that marriage to Mary would be fulfilling and happy for Edgar? Give examples from the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
When Edgar is working up to proposing marriage to Mary and after his proposal, he lists the advantages of such a union. Discuss the following:
1. List three criteria which you believe are essential for a good marriage. Discuss why you choose those three and then discuss if you believe Mary and Edgar's relationship possesses those qualities. Use examples from the text.
2. List three criteria which you believe make a successful marriage impossible. Discuss why you choose those three and then discuss if you believe Mary and Edgar's relationship possesses those qualities. Use examples from the text.
3. Using the three criteria which you list for both a successful marriage and those which would greatly hinder a successful marriage, argue whether or not you believe Mary and Rowley's marriage will be successful or a failure based upon the six criteria you cited.
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 8, Mary discusses her previous marriage with Matthew by saying that Matthew was charming, kind and fun until he was drinking and that even from the beginning she was distressed and ashamed of him when he went into drunken rages. Mary tells Rowley that she tried desperately to save Matthew from the drinking but that she couldn't, though sometimes they'd have horrible fights over it. Mary admits that she came to despise Matthew, knowing as she did about his secretive drinking and the affairs, but says she felt he was so dependent on her that she couldn't bring herself to end the marriage. Discuss the following:
1. Research and write a brief definition with examples of the term "co-dependent."
2. Do you think Mary is co-dependent with Matthew by the descriptions she gives of her behavior with him? Why or why not. Be sure to include specific examples to support your points.
3. In what other situations is Mary co-dependent? Be specific.
4. Do you think Mary is cured of her codependency by the end of the novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)