|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rowley reassure Mary?
(a) He says he will assume the blame if something happens.
(b) He is unable to offer any reassurances.
(c) He says no one would suspect a respectable, upper-class woman of being involved with a refugee.
(d) He says that all the signs point to Karl running off.
2. How does Mary explain sleeping so late?
(a) That it is so overcast, it seemed earlier than it is.
(b) That she took a sleeping pill after Nina had come to her room in the middle of the night.
(c) That she wasn't feeling well.
(d) That she had been reading in bed until quite late.
3. Why does Mary decide she will tell Edgar the truth about her and Karl?
(a) She is not going to tell Edgar the truth.
(b) To seek Edgar's advice.
(c) To get out of the marriage proposal.
(d) To enter marriage with a clear conscience.
4. What is the Princess going to do about getting Karl fired?
(a) Find him another job.
(b) Find him and give him some money.
(d) Send him to the United States where he'll be safe.
5. What does the Princess say she learned from the restaurant manager?
(a) That the violinist is related to the cook at the restaurant.
(b) That the violinist is a refugee.
(c) That the owner of the restaruant is returning part of the Princess' check.
(d) That the violinist became violent when fired.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is there little blood to contend with?
2. What is Mary's first instinct to do about Karl?
3. What does Karl join?
4. Who comes to ask about the gunshot?
5. What does Mary decide she must do as soon as possible?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Princess learn about the violinist and what is her response?
2. How does Mary feel about what Karl tells her about his life?
3. Who wakes Mary and what does Mary tell the person?
4. What are Mary's thoughts as she is getting read to go to the luncheon?
5. What does Mary rush to her dresser to find and why?
6. What does the Princess say about the party from the previous evening?
7. Describe Karl's life in Austria.
8. What does Mary do that causes Karl to become even more angry and what is Karl's reply?
9. What is the first way Rowley suggests they handle the situation and what is Mary's response?
10. What does Rowley advise Mary to do before he leaves early that morning?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)