|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Karl sent?
(a) To find a place for the refugees in France.
(b) To sabotage the Germans in Vienna.
(c) A concentration camp.
(d) To fight in Poland.
2. What else does Mary have to consider about Karl's death?
(a) That she needs to notify Karl's sister.
(b) That she has gotten Rowley involved.
(c) That she needs to notify Karl's mother.
(d) That the police would have absolutely no reason to suspect her if she keeps her head.
3. Who is Mary expecting shortly after receiving the telegram?
(b) The Princess.
(c) Lord Seafair.
4. How has Mary's opinion changed of Rowley?
(a) She thinks he helped her for his own reasons.
(b) Because he has been a good friend when she was in need.
(c) She thinks he may be planning to blackmail her.
(d) It hasn't.
5. What does Nina tell Mary as Mary is about to leave?
(a) Edgar just called.
(b) Rowley is in the parlour.
(c) She is beautiful.
(d) The police just called.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karl's father do when the German troops march into the town?
2. What will Rowley tie onto a rock and drop in the Arno river?
3. What does Mary realize about the gun?
4. Who comes to ask about the gunshot?
5. How does Mary explain sleeping so late?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is said between Rowley and Mary about Edgar and Mary's possible marriage to him?
2. What does Rowley ask for that upsets Mary?
3. Who wakes Mary and what does Mary tell the person?
4. What does Mary do that causes Karl to become even more angry and what is Karl's reply?
5. What does Nina relate to Mary about what Nina learns from Agata?
6. How does Mary appear as she leaves for the luncheon?
7. How does the altercation between Karl and Mary resolve itself?
8. What startles Mary soon after Karl kills himself?
9. What are Mary's thoughts as she is getting read to go to the luncheon?
10. Where does Mary go and why is she relieved when she arrives there?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)