|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rowley reassure Mary?
(a) He is unable to offer any reassurances.
(b) He says no one would suspect a respectable, upper-class woman of being involved with a refugee.
(c) He says that all the signs point to Karl running off.
(d) He says he will assume the blame if something happens.
2. What do Mary and Rowley do when a car comes towards them?
(a) Hide in the bushes with Karl's body.
(b) Pretend to be locked in a passionate embrace.
(c) Push Karl's body down the hill instead of carrying it.
(d) Jump in the car and keep driving to find another place.
3. What does the Princess ask Mary?
(a) Why Mary doesn't go with the Princess to the opera that evening.
(b) If Mary is having the wedding in England.
(c) If Mary remembers the violinist at the dinner the previous evening.
(d) If Mary has decided to accept Edgar's proposal.
4. What does Karl join?
(a) The Hitler youth group.
(b) The resistance.
(c) The Germany military.
(d) A group of people who decide to leave the country.
5. Who sends the telegram?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Lord Seafair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mary when she receives a telegram?
2. What is the Princess going to do about getting Karl fired?
3. What does Mary look for as soon as Nina leaves the bedroom?
4. What changes Karl's life?
5. About whom does the conversation turn to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary do that causes Karl to become even more angry and what is Karl's reply?
2. How does the altercation between Karl and Mary resolve itself?
3. What does the Princess say about the party from the previous evening?
4. How does Karl act when Mary pulls out the gun out of her purse?
5. Why does Mary call Rowley?
6. What does Rowley point out to Mary to reassure her?
7. What does Mary rush to her dresser to find and why?
8. What is the first way Rowley suggests they handle the situation and what is Mary's response?
9. What does Rowley advise Mary to do before he leaves early that morning?
10. Where does Mary go and why is she relieved when she arrives there?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)