|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the explanation Rowley offers for Karl killing himself?
(a) Karl was insane.
(b) Karl didn't think the gun was loaded.
(c) Karl's life was devoid of beauty and hope and Mary had offered that and then told him the truth.
(d) Karl was planning to anyway and just found it an opportune moment.
2. What changes Karl's life?
(a) His meeting with Mary.
(b) Seeing his best friend murdered.
(c) Nothing yet.
(d) A spiritual teacher in France.
3. From what country is Karl?
4. What does Mary decide she must do as soon as possible?
(a) Call her father.
(b) Call her lawyer.
(c) Call Edgar.
(d) Leave the villa.
5. How does Rowley reassure Mary?
(a) He is unable to offer any reassurances.
(b) He says he will assume the blame if something happens.
(c) He says no one would suspect a respectable, upper-class woman of being involved with a refugee.
(d) He says that all the signs point to Karl running off.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary do at the end of the chapter?
2. What does he say she should do about her commitments that day?
3. What does Karl ask of Mary, which she says no to?
4. What is Rowley's suggestion since Mary doesn't want to call the police?
5. What does Rowley say about the gun?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Karl end up in a concentration camp and how does he get to Italy?
2. How does Mary feel about what Karl tells her about his life?
3. What does Rowley point out to Mary to reassure her?
4. Where does Mary go and why is she relieved when she arrives there?
5. How does the situation between Mary and Karl start to deteriorate?
6. What does Rowley ask for that upsets Mary?
7. What does the Princess say about the party from the previous evening?
8. How does Mary appear as she leaves for the luncheon?
9. How does the altercation between Karl and Mary resolve itself?
10. What does Nina relate to Mary about what Nina learns from Agata?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)