|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary tell Karl the reason she has sex with him?
(a) As an act of kindness to give him a short time of happiness.
(b) She does not know why.
(c) She was curious.
(d) She was lonely.
2. What makes it easier to hide Karl's death?
(a) He has no identification.
(b) He did not tell his landlady where he was going.
(c) He is a foreigner.
(d) He has no family or friends to miss him.
3. Who awakens Mary the next day after Karl's death?
(b) She wakes on her own.
4. What does Karl's landlady know about Karl just before his disappearance?
(a) That he had money when he left Peppitos.
(b) That he was unhappy in Italy.
(c) That he was about to be married to a girl who is pregnant.
(d) That his mother wrote him recently and asked him to come home.
5. Why does Mary tell Rowley that she has sex with Karl?
(a) The truth.
(b) That he offered her a large sum of money.
(c) She denies they had sex.
(d) That Karl forced her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary do at the end of the chapter?
2. How does Mary feel when the conversation turns away from the subject of Karl?
3. What does Mary say in response to Rowley's explanation about Karl's death?
4. What is Rowley's suggestion since Mary doesn't want to call the police?
5. What does Mary decide she must do as soon as possible?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the altercation between Karl and Mary resolve itself?
2. How does Mary appear as she leaves for the luncheon?
3. What startles Mary soon after Karl kills himself?
4. Who wakes Mary and what does Mary tell the person?
5. What does Mary rush to her dresser to find and why?
6. Describe the scene of Mary and Rowley getting rid of Karl's body.
7. What does the Princess learn about the violinist and what is her response?
8. How does Karl end up in a concentration camp and how does he get to Italy?
9. Where does Mary go and why is she relieved when she arrives there?
10. How does Karl act when Mary pulls out the gun out of her purse?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)