|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mary explain sleeping so late?
(a) That she had been reading in bed until quite late.
(b) That she wasn't feeling well.
(c) That she took a sleeping pill after Nina had come to her room in the middle of the night.
(d) That it is so overcast, it seemed earlier than it is.
2. What is the explanation Rowley offers for Karl killing himself?
(a) Karl didn't think the gun was loaded.
(b) Karl's life was devoid of beauty and hope and Mary had offered that and then told him the truth.
(c) Karl was insane.
(d) Karl was planning to anyway and just found it an opportune moment.
3. What does Nina tell Mary as Mary is about to leave?
(a) She is beautiful.
(b) The police just called.
(c) Edgar just called.
(d) Rowley is in the parlour.
4. How does Mary explain the sound Nina heard?
(a) An animal in the crawl space.
(b) She does not offer any ideas.
(c) A car passing the villa.
(d) A hunter.
5. What does Karl join?
(a) A group of people who decide to leave the country.
(b) The Germany military.
(c) The Hitler youth group.
(d) The resistance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary say that further angers Karl?
2. From what country is Karl?
3. What does Karl's father do when the German troops march into the town?
4. What does Karl's landlady know about Karl just before his disappearance?
5. Why does Mary call Rowley for help?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary think about Rowley?
2. Why does Mary call Rowley?
3. What is the first way Rowley suggests they handle the situation and what is Mary's response?
4. What does the Princess say about the party from the previous evening?
5. What does Rowley advise Mary to do before he leaves early that morning?
6. What is said between Rowley and Mary about Edgar and Mary's possible marriage to him?
7. Describe the scene of Mary and Rowley getting rid of Karl's body.
8. Where does Mary go and why is she relieved when she arrives there?
9. What does the Princess learn about the violinist and what is her response?
10. What does Rowley point out to Mary to reassure her?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)