|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary decide to give Karl as a gift?
(a) An old violin that has been in her family.
(b) A sexual encounter.
(c) A possible job with her father.
(d) Money to pay his rent.
2. What does Mary learn when Edgar arrives?
(a) He is getting married to someone else.
(b) He is dying.
(c) He has been knighted.
(d) He's been offered a position as governor of Bengal.
3. Why does Rowley propose to Mary?
(a) He needs a wife.
(b) He feels tender towards her.
(c) He is a little drunk.
(d) He has loved her from afar for several years.
4. What position does Mary believe Edgar might be offered?
(a) A position with the largest architectural firm in Italy.
(b) She doesn't believe he will receive an offer.
(c) A position with the government.
(d) A position with her father's conglomerate.
5. What does Mary think about on the way to the party?
(a) Edgar's question.
(b) Her sister's pending divorce.
(c) How to maximize the little money she has remaining.
(d) Her mother's vague allusions to health issues.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karl say he would like to do that night?
2. What does Rowley find in her purse?
3. What does Mary wish she had done?
4. Why does Mary drive around the area?
5. What does Karl point out to Mary as they are driving to her villa?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Edgar bring up the subject of marriage to Mary?
2. How has Mary been spending her time lately and what bearing does that have to do with Mary being at the villa?
3. What is Mary's response to Rowley's questions about Edgar and how does Rowley respond?
4. What does Mary think about Edgar's job prospects?
5. How does Mary begin to respond to Matthew's drinking?
6. What sort of arrangements does Edgar make with Ciro?
7. How does Karl present himself?
8. What is paradoxical about the Princess's personality?
9. What does Mary say about why she marries Matthew Panton?
10. What is surprising about Mary's response to Edgar's proposal?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)