|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mary have second thoughts about attending the party?
(a) Her mother wants her to come to Rome right away.
(b) Her sister arrives the next day and the house needs cleaning.
(c) Edgar is not there to escort her.
(d) She knows no one at the party.
2. What does Mary extol?
(a) Matthew's final days.
(b) Her father's architectural abilities.
(c) Her father's virtues.
(d) Edgar's virtues.
3. How did Mary feel about Matthew?
(a) Completely head over heels in love.
(c) Pressured to marry him.
4. What does Mary make clear to Rowley?
(a) She is not interested in him.
(b) He is an interesting man and she might go out with him.
(c) Her divorce is not yet final.
(d) She is still grieving the death of her husband.
5. What city can Mary see from the terrace of the villa?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Rowley Flint invited to the party?
2. What position does Mary believe Edgar might be offered?
3. Why is Edgar visiting?
4. What does Mary learn from her lawyer?
5. What ashamed Mary about Matthew?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mary's response to Rowley's questions about Edgar and how does Rowley respond?
2. What does narration say of the villa in which Mary is staying?
3. What does Mary think of the Princess' comments on marriage to Edgar?
4. What sort of arrangements does Edgar make with Ciro?
5. What does Mary think about Edgar's job prospects?
6. What does Mary point out about Rowley's reputation and what is his response?
7. Why does the Princess choose the restaurant they are at for the party and how is she disappointed?
8. What does the Colonel think of Edgar's prospects in his career?
9. What is paradoxical about the Princess's personality?
10. Why does Rowley propose to Mary and how does she respond?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)