|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why couldn't Mary end the marriage?
(a) She thought he would change eventually.
(b) Matthew was so dependent on her.
(c) She was embarrassed.
(d) She was paid by Matthew's parents to stay.
2. About what do Mary and Rowley speak at length?
(a) Mary's father's architectural designs.
(b) Rowley's new business venture in Tuscany.
(c) Mary and Edgar and Mary's situation.
(d) Rowley's home in the United States.
3. Who advised Mary not to marry Matthew?
(a) Matthew's mother.
(b) Only Matthew's brother.
(c) No one.
(d) Many people.
4. Who prompts Nina to remind Mary?
(a) No one.
5. How long has Mary known Edgar?
(a) Since she was an infant.
(b) She hasn't met him yet.
(c) Since she was a youth.
(d) Two years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karl point out to Mary as they are driving to her villa?
2. Of what is Colonel Trail very complimentary?
3. What is Mary's reply?
4. What is Rowley's parting shot at Mary?
5. How did Mary feel about Matthew?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary think of the Princess' comments on marriage to Edgar?
2. What happens to distress Mary about Matthew?
3. What is surprising about Mary's response to Edgar's proposal?
4. What are the topics of conversation between Rowley and Mary?
5. Why is Mary conflicted about attending the party?
6. How does Rowley find the handgun in Mary's purse and how does that change the conversation?
7. How does Mary begin to respond to Matthew's drinking?
8. What is Mary's response to Rowley's questions about Edgar and how does Rowley respond?
9. How does Edgar bring up the subject of marriage to Mary?
10. How does Karl present himself?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)