|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rowley's parting shot at Mary?
(a) That he hopes she does not use the gun on Edgar.
(b) About marriage with Edgar.
(c) About his ability to keep her out of the poorhouse.
(d) About her strangely unromantic attitude.
2. What did Mary know about that Matthew tried to hide?
(a) That he had syphillis.
(b) That is inheritance was almost gone.
(c) That he had a gambling problem also.
(d) His drinking in secret and affairs.
3. Who is Princess San Ferdinanado?
(a) A woman who is hostessing a party that evening.
(b) A woman who holds grand parties to which Mary has never been invited.
(c) Mary's childhood friend.
(d) The Princess of Tuscany who is a recent widow.
4. Why couldn't Mary end the marriage?
(a) Matthew was so dependent on her.
(b) She was paid by Matthew's parents to stay.
(c) She thought he would change eventually.
(d) She was embarrassed.
5. What does Rowley believe about Mary as far as Edgar is concerned?
(a) That Edgar is not in love with Mary.
(b) That Mary is not in love with him.
(c) That they are perfectly suited to each other.
(d) That Edgar is too staid for Mary.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what century is the Tuscan villa built?
2. Why does Mary have second thoughts about attending the party?
3. What does Mary encounter on her way home?
4. What does Mary admit she came to feel?
5. What does Rowley find in her purse?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary meet Karl Richter?
2. What is passed around at the end of the party and what does Mary do?
3. How does Rowley find the handgun in Mary's purse and how does that change the conversation?
4. Why is Mary conflicted about attending the party?
5. How does Mary end up driving Rowley to his hotel and what happens?
6. What does Mary think of the Princess' comments on marriage to Edgar?
7. What is paradoxical about the Princess's personality?
8. What does Mary say about why she marries Matthew Panton?
9. What is surprising about Mary's response to Edgar's proposal?
10. What does Mary think about Edgar's job prospects?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)