|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rowley believe about Mary as far as Edgar is concerned?
(a) That Mary is not in love with him.
(b) That Edgar is not in love with Mary.
(c) That they are perfectly suited to each other.
(d) That Edgar is too staid for Mary.
2. What does Edgar want Mary to carry with her to Florence?
(a) A bottle of vintage wine for the Princess.
(b) A gun for protection.
(c) A bottle of vintage win for an old friend.
(d) A note for the Princess.
3. What does Mary say she would give Rowley if she could?
(a) An introduction to her sister.
(b) A unique gift.
(d) A suitable wife.
4. What does Edgar ask Mary?
(a) For Mary to travel with him back to England.
(b) To stay for a few days.
(c) If she knows the woman Edgar plans to marry.
(d) To be his wife.
5. What is Mary doing at the opening of chapter 2?
(b) Getting ready to go to the party.
(c) Talking with her mother on the phone.
(d) Digging in the rosebushes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rowley find in her purse?
2. What city can Mary see from the terrace of the villa?
3. Of what is Rowley concerned?
4. Why is Edgar visiting?
5. What is Rowley's parting shot at Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rowley find the handgun in Mary's purse and how does that change the conversation?
2. What is surprising about Mary's response to Edgar's proposal?
3. How does Mary begin to respond to Matthew's drinking?
4. Why is Mary conflicted about attending the party?
5. How does Mary meet Karl Richter?
6. What is paradoxical about the Princess's personality?
7. What is Mary's response to Rowley's questions about Edgar and how does Rowley respond?
8. What does Mary think of the Princess' comments on marriage to Edgar?
9. What does Mary say about why she marries Matthew Panton?
10. What happens to distress Mary about Matthew?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)