|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what is the Princess known?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her generosity.
(c) Her caustic remarks.
(d) Her wealth.
2. What is Mary's reply?
(a) She isn't over Matthew yet.
(b) She is not in love with him.
(c) She does not want to live in the United States.
(d) She would consider it.
3. Why does Karl Richter take the job at the restaurant as a violinist?
(a) He has no place to live.
(b) He hopes to make connections.
(c) His landlady needs the money.
(d) He loves music.
4. From what does Mary try to save Matthew?
(a) His drinking.
(b) His protective mother.
(c) His depression.
(d) The creditors.
5. Why is Mary Panton at the villa?
(a) For recuperation from emotional trauma.
(b) To visit her sister and her husband who rent the villa.
(c) To meet with her husband who has been conducting business nearby.
(d) To oversee its remodeling.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rowley propose to Mary?
2. Of what is Colonel Trail very complimentary?
3. What does Mary do with a hundred lira note?
4. About what did Mary and Matthew fight?
5. What does Mary learn from her lawyer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary feel about what Karl tells her about his life?
2. Where does Mary go and why is she relieved when she arrives there?
3. What is surprising about Mary's response to Edgar's proposal?
4. What is Mary's response to Rowley's suggestion?
5. Why does the Princess choose the restaurant they are at for the party and how is she disappointed?
6. What is passed around at the end of the party and what does Mary do?
7. What are Mary's thoughts as she is getting read to go to the luncheon?
8. What does Mary think of the Princess' comments on marriage to Edgar?
9. How does Rowley find the handgun in Mary's purse and how does that change the conversation?
10. How has Mary been spending her time lately and what bearing does that have to do with Mary being at the villa?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)