|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary learn when Edgar arrives?
(a) He is getting married to someone else.
(b) He is dying.
(c) He's been offered a position as governor of Bengal.
(d) He has been knighted.
2. What does Mary think about on the way to the party?
(a) Edgar's question.
(b) Her sister's pending divorce.
(c) How to maximize the little money she has remaining.
(d) Her mother's vague allusions to health issues.
3. What does Nina remind Mary to do?
(a) Apply rouge and eye liner.
(b) Have the car filled with petrol.
(c) Carry her pistol.
(d) Call her sister back.
4. Who is Princess San Ferdinanado?
(a) A woman who holds grand parties to which Mary has never been invited.
(b) Mary's childhood friend.
(c) The Princess of Tuscany who is a recent widow.
(d) A woman who is hostessing a party that evening.
5. What does Mary decide to give Karl as a gift?
(a) A possible job with her father.
(b) An old violin that has been in her family.
(c) Money to pay his rent.
(d) A sexual encounter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary say when the Princess points out what a good catch Edgar would be?
2. What does Mary extol?
3. Why couldn't Mary end the marriage?
4. What does Edgar give Ciro?
5. How does Mary respond to Edgar's question?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is paradoxical about the Princess's personality?
2. What does narration say of the villa in which Mary is staying?
3. Why is Mary conflicted about attending the party?
4. What is surprising about Mary's response to Edgar's proposal?
5. How does Karl present himself?
6. What happens to distress Mary about Matthew?
7. Why does the Princess choose the restaurant they are at for the party and how is she disappointed?
8. How does Edgar bring up the subject of marriage to Mary?
9. What sort of arrangements does Edgar make with Ciro?
10. How does Mary meet Karl Richter?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)