|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Mary feel about Matthew?
(b) Completely head over heels in love.
(c) Pressured to marry him.
2. Where is the party Mary is attending that night to be held?
(a) A restaurant on the banks of the Arno river.
(b) At Princess San Ferdinando's home.
(c) In open pavilions on the estate of a Baron Mary does not know.
(d) In a converted opera house.
3. What does Rowley say about his reputation?
(a) That it is true but he is willing to change.
(b) That it is misplaced.
(c) That it is greatly exaggerated.
(d) That he'd be a fool not to enjoy life.
4. What does Edgar ask Mary?
(a) To stay for a few days.
(b) To be his wife.
(c) If she knows the woman Edgar plans to marry.
(d) For Mary to travel with him back to England.
5. What does Mary encounter on her way home?
(a) A car accident.
(b) A stray dog.
(c) The violinist.
(d) A beautiful Persian cat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary make Karl?
2. What happens as the party is about to end?
3. What did Mary's mother point out to Mary when Mary was 19?
4. What does Mary do with a hundred lira note?
5. Why does the Princess ask for the dismissal of the violinist?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary think about Edgar's job prospects?
2. What sort of arrangements does Edgar make with Ciro?
3. How does Karl present himself?
4. What does Mary say about why she marries Matthew Panton?
5. How long has Mary known Edgar and what was Mary's mother's opinion of the man?
6. What is surprising about Mary's response to Edgar's proposal?
7. Why does Rowley propose to Mary and how does she respond?
8. How has Mary been spending her time lately and what bearing does that have to do with Mary being at the villa?
9. What is passed around at the end of the party and what does Mary do?
10. What happens to distress Mary about Matthew?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)