|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what is the Princess known?
(a) Her wealth.
(b) Her generosity.
(c) Her caustic remarks.
(d) Her beauty.
2. Why is Edgar visiting?
(a) He wants to buy the villa where she is staying.
(b) He is a contractor who will be doing the remodeling of her villa.
(c) He needs to ask Mary's advice about her sister.
(d) He has an appointment in Cannes and so is nearby.
3. How does Mary describe how Matthew was at first?
(a) Polite and reserved.
(b) Zestful and overly-boisterous.
(c) Quiet and studious.
(d) Charming and fun.
4. Why is Mary Panton at the villa?
(a) For recuperation from emotional trauma.
(b) To visit her sister and her husband who rent the villa.
(c) To oversee its remodeling.
(d) To meet with her husband who has been conducting business nearby.
5. What does Mary make Karl?
(a) A drink.
(b) French toast and eggs.
(c) Bacon and eggs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Edgar Swift?
2. What does Rowley say about his reputation?
3. What does Edgar give Ciro?
4. Who is Ciro?
5. What city can Mary see from the terrace of the villa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary say about why she marries Matthew Panton?
2. What are the topics of conversation between Rowley and Mary?
3. How long has Mary known Edgar and what was Mary's mother's opinion of the man?
4. How does Rowley find the handgun in Mary's purse and how does that change the conversation?
5. What is passed around at the end of the party and what does Mary do?
6. What does Mary point out about Rowley's reputation and what is his response?
7. What does Mary think about Edgar's job prospects?
8. What does narration say of the villa in which Mary is staying?
9. What is surprising about Mary's response to Edgar's proposal?
10. What is Mary's response to Rowley's questions about Edgar and how does Rowley respond?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)