|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rowley find in her purse?
(a) A blackmail note.
(b) The gun.
(c) A picture of Matthew.
(d) A suicide note.
2. How does Mary respond to Edgar's question?
(a) She does not know the woman who Edgar plans to marry.
(b) She says she is not comfortable with his staying at the villa since she is alone.
(c) She says she is not ready to return to England.
(d) She asks for a few days to consider it.
3. What is Mary doing at the opening of chapter 2?
(a) Getting ready to go to the party.
(b) Talking with her mother on the phone.
(c) Digging in the rosebushes.
4. What does Rowley ask Mary?
(a) If she plans to go ahead with her plans to return to England.
(b) Why she wants to marry Edgar so badly.
(c) If she wants to travel with him to the United States.
(d) If she plans to marry Edgar.
5. What is the amount most people give the entertainer?
(a) At least fifty lira.
(b) Nothing; he is paid by the hostess.
(c) Five or ten lira.
(d) He was such a poor musician, most only give him a lira or two.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary wish she had done?
2. What does Mary extol?
3. For what is the Princess known?
4. What does Karl say he would like to do that night?
5. What does Rowley say to Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Princess choose the restaurant they are at for the party and how is she disappointed?
2. What does Mary point out about Rowley's reputation and what is his response?
3. What is passed around at the end of the party and what does Mary do?
4. How has Mary been spending her time lately and what bearing does that have to do with Mary being at the villa?
5. What does narration say of the villa in which Mary is staying?
6. What does Mary think of the Princess' comments on marriage to Edgar?
7. How does Mary meet Karl Richter?
8. What sort of arrangements does Edgar make with Ciro?
9. What happens to distress Mary about Matthew?
10. How long has Mary known Edgar and what was Mary's mother's opinion of the man?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)