|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary say when the Princess points out what a good catch Edgar would be?
(a) That Edgar is like an older brother to Mary.
(b) That Edgar is unlikely to ask Mary to be his wife because of their great age difference.
(c) The Princess should consider him.
(d) The woman Edgar has asked to marry him is very lucky.
2. What does Rowley believe about Mary as far as Edgar is concerned?
(a) That Edgar is not in love with Mary.
(b) That they are perfectly suited to each other.
(c) That Mary is not in love with him.
(d) That Edgar is too staid for Mary.
3. From what does Mary try to save Matthew?
(a) His protective mother.
(b) The creditors.
(c) His depression.
(d) His drinking.
4. Who is Ciro?
(a) Mary's manservant.
(b) The neighbor.
(c) Edgar's driver.
(d) Mary's gardener.
5. Who prompts Nina to remind Mary?
(a) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rowley propose to Mary?
2. What does Mary wish she had done?
3. What does Karl say he would like to do that night?
4. What ashamed Mary about Matthew?
5. What city can Mary see from the terrace of the villa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary say about why she marries Matthew Panton?
2. What happens to distress Mary about Matthew?
3. What does narration say of the villa in which Mary is staying?
4. How does Mary meet Karl Richter?
5. How does Edgar bring up the subject of marriage to Mary?
6. How does Mary begin to respond to Matthew's drinking?
7. What are the topics of conversation between Rowley and Mary?
8. What does Mary think about Edgar's job prospects?
9. What is Mary's response to Rowley's questions about Edgar and how does Rowley respond?
10. How long has Mary known Edgar and what was Mary's mother's opinion of the man?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)