|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what is Colonel Trail very complimentary?
(a) Edgar's recent appointment.
(b) Mary's deceased father.
(c) Mary's deceased husband.
(d) The Princess's gown.
2. What does Mary think about on the way to the party?
(a) Edgar's question.
(b) Her mother's vague allusions to health issues.
(c) Her sister's pending divorce.
(d) How to maximize the little money she has remaining.
3. What did Mary know about that Matthew tried to hide?
(a) His drinking in secret and affairs.
(b) That he had a gambling problem also.
(c) That he had syphillis.
(d) That is inheritance was almost gone.
4. What is Mary doing at the opening of chapter 2?
(a) Talking with her mother on the phone.
(b) Getting ready to go to the party.
(d) Digging in the rosebushes.
5. Of what is Rowley concerned?
(a) That Mary will be alright getting home.
(b) That Mary will marry and be unhappy.
(c) That Mary will never consider marriage again after her first experience.
(d) That Mary will tell someone how nice Rowley really is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rowley's parting shot at Mary?
2. How did Mary feel about Matthew?
3. What happens as the party is about to end?
4. Why does Rowley propose to Mary?
5. Why couldn't Mary end the marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary meet Karl Richter?
2. How does Mary begin to respond to Matthew's drinking?
3. Why does the Princess choose the restaurant they are at for the party and how is she disappointed?
4. How does Karl present himself?
5. What does Mary point out about Rowley's reputation and what is his response?
6. Why is Mary conflicted about attending the party?
7. What is surprising about Mary's response to Edgar's proposal?
8. What does Mary think of the Princess' comments on marriage to Edgar?
9. Why does Rowley propose to Mary and how does she respond?
10. What does Mary think about Edgar's job prospects?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)