|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rowley propose to Mary?
(a) He feels tender towards her.
(b) He is a little drunk.
(c) He needs a wife.
(d) He has loved her from afar for several years.
2. Where is the party Mary is attending that night to be held?
(a) At Princess San Ferdinando's home.
(b) In open pavilions on the estate of a Baron Mary does not know.
(c) In a converted opera house.
(d) A restaurant on the banks of the Arno river.
3. In what century is the Tuscan villa built?
4. What does Rowley believe about Mary as far as Edgar is concerned?
(a) That Mary is not in love with him.
(b) That Edgar is not in love with Mary.
(c) That they are perfectly suited to each other.
(d) That Edgar is too staid for Mary.
5. What does Karl say he would like to do that night?
(a) Rescue his family in Nazi Germany.
(b) Move to America.
(c) Die since he will never have a better night.
(d) Swim in the Arno River.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rowley's parting shot at Mary?
2. What does Mary think about on the way to the party?
3. Why does Mary think the tip she leaves will mean a great deal?
4. What does Mary make Karl?
5. Of what is Rowley concerned?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary meet Karl Richter?
2. How does Karl present himself?
3. What happens to distress Mary about Matthew?
4. What are the topics of conversation between Rowley and Mary?
5. What does narration say of the villa in which Mary is staying?
6. What is paradoxical about the Princess's personality?
7. What does Mary think of the Princess' comments on marriage to Edgar?
8. What is passed around at the end of the party and what does Mary do?
9. What does Mary point out about Rowley's reputation and what is his response?
10. How does Rowley find the handgun in Mary's purse and how does that change the conversation?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)