|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mary describe how Matthew was at first?
(a) Polite and reserved.
(b) Quiet and studious.
(c) Charming and fun.
(d) Zestful and overly-boisterous.
2. From what does Mary try to save Matthew?
(a) His depression.
(b) The creditors.
(c) His drinking.
(d) His protective mother.
3. At what has Edgar proven himself?
4. What ashamed Mary about Matthew?
(a) His drunken rages.
(b) The way he treated the servants.
(c) His desire to cross dress.
(d) The way he eyed other women.
5. What did Mary know about that Matthew tried to hide?
(a) That is inheritance was almost gone.
(b) That he had a gambling problem also.
(c) His drinking in secret and affairs.
(d) That he had syphillis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Karl Richter take the job at the restaurant as a violinist?
2. What does Mary learn when Edgar arrives?
3. What does Edgar want Mary to carry with her to Florence?
4. Why couldn't Mary end the marriage?
5. What does Mary say she would give Rowley if she could?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary appear as she leaves for the luncheon?
2. How does Edgar bring up the subject of marriage to Mary?
3. What is paradoxical about the Princess's personality?
4. How does Edgar indicate how much he is looking forward to seeing Mary after his business trip?
5. Why does the Princess choose the restaurant they are at for the party and how is she disappointed?
6. What is said between Rowley and Mary about Edgar and Mary's possible marriage to him?
7. What does the Princess say about the party from the previous evening?
8. Who calls after Edgar leaves and what does he want?
9. What does the Princess learn about the violinist and what is her response?
10. How does Mary feel about what Karl tells her about his life?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)