|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to ask about the gunshot?
(a) No one.
(b) The police.
2. What does Mary say about Karl when asked?
(a) That he seemed odd.
(b) That he wasn't a good musician.
(c) That he seemed sad.
(d) That he was handsome.
3. What does Mary impulsively offer?
(a) To talk to the landlady.
(b) To put an ad in the paper asking about Karl.
(c) To write Karl's mother and ask if he is there.
(d) To pay Karl's back rent.
4. Who is Mary relieved to find at the social function at the Villa Bolognese?
(a) Lord Seafair.
(c) No one she knows.
5. What makes it easier to hide Karl's death?
(a) He is a foreigner.
(b) He did not tell his landlady where he was going.
(c) He has no family or friends to miss him.
(d) He has no identification.
6. Why does Mary tell Rowley that she has sex with Karl?
(a) She denies they had sex.
(b) That Karl forced her.
(c) That he offered her a large sum of money.
(d) The truth.
7. What is Karl doing after Mary and he have sex?
(a) Playing his violin.
(b) Chopping wood for Mary.
(c) Sitting at Mary's feet smoking a cigarette.
8. What will Rowley tie onto a rock and drop in the Arno river?
(b) The bloody towel.
(c) Karl's wallet.
(d) The gun.
9. Where is Karl sent?
(a) To sabotage the Germans in Vienna.
(b) A concentration camp.
(c) To fight in Poland.
(d) To find a place for the refugees in France.
10. What does Mary say that further angers Karl?
(a) She says she went to bed with him on a dare from a friend.
(b) She says she would never marry a penniless man.
(c) She says the sex was terrible.
(d) She offers him money.
11. What does the Princess say she would do if she were such a poor musician?
(a) Tell everyone to like it or leave.
(b) Take lessons.
(c) Shoot herself.
(d) Find a different job.
12. Why doesn't Mary say anything as Karl is talking?
(a) She does but it doesn't help.
(b) She believes he brought some of his problems on himself.
(c) His situation was so dire, nothing would help.
(d) He glares at her as she starts to comfort him.
13. Why does Rowley wish they had left the gun with Karl?
(a) To make it look more like a suicide.
(b) So Rowley wouldn't have to worry about it later.
(c) So it could not be traced to Mary.
(d) To eliminate the risk of police finding it later.
14. What else does Mary have to consider about Karl's death?
(a) That she needs to notify Karl's mother.
(b) That she has gotten Rowley involved.
(c) That she needs to notify Karl's sister.
(d) That the police would have absolutely no reason to suspect her if she keeps her head.
15. What does Karl tell Mary and she says she does not feel the same way?
(a) Karl says his time in bed with her was the best experience he has ever had.
(c) Karl tells Mary he loves her.
(d) Karl tells Mary he wants to gain revenge against the Germans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karl's father do when the German troops march into the town?
2. What does Mary remember as they are down the road a bit?
3. Why does Rowley ask for the gun?
4. What does Karl imply that Mary is?
5. Where is Mary supposed to be at one o'clock?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)