|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sends the telegram?
(b) Lord Seafair.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her sister.
2. What does Nina tell Mary as Mary is about to leave?
(a) She is beautiful.
(b) Edgar just called.
(c) Rowley is in the parlour.
(d) The police just called.
3. What do Mary and Rowley do when a car comes towards them?
(a) Hide in the bushes with Karl's body.
(b) Jump in the car and keep driving to find another place.
(c) Pretend to be locked in a passionate embrace.
(d) Push Karl's body down the hill instead of carrying it.
4. What does the Princess ask Mary?
(a) If Mary remembers the violinist at the dinner the previous evening.
(b) If Mary is having the wedding in England.
(c) If Mary has decided to accept Edgar's proposal.
(d) Why Mary doesn't go with the Princess to the opera that evening.
5. What does he say she should do about her commitments that day?
(a) Attend them.
(b) Call in an excuse.
(c) Attend them at least briefly.
(d) Whatever she wants to do; it did not matter.
6. How does Mary explain sleeping so late?
(a) That she wasn't feeling well.
(b) That she had been reading in bed until quite late.
(c) That it is so overcast, it seemed earlier than it is.
(d) That she took a sleeping pill after Nina had come to her room in the middle of the night.
7. What does Mary do at the end of the chapter?
(a) Has a big breakfast that Nina cooks.
(b) Writes Edgar.
(c) Calls her lawyer.
(d) Takes a sleeping pill and falls off to sleep.
8. What does Karl do after laying Mary on the bed and kissing her repeatedly?
(a) Kills himself.
(c) Falls asleep.
(d) Breaks the windows.
9. What does Mary force herself to do?
(b) Act naturally.
(c) Clean up a little blood remaining on the floor.
(d) Eat some breakfast.
10. What does Karl's landlady know about Karl just before his disappearance?
(a) That his mother wrote him recently and asked him to come home.
(b) That he had money when he left Peppitos.
(c) That he was about to be married to a girl who is pregnant.
(d) That he was unhappy in Italy.
11. What does Mary say in response to Rowley's explanation about Karl's death?
(a) She will never forgive Karl for doing that in front of her.
(b) She'll never forgive herself.
(c) She thinks Rowley is correct.
(d) She wants to leave that place and the memories.
12. Why does Mary decide she will tell Edgar the truth about her and Karl?
(a) To seek Edgar's advice.
(b) To get out of the marriage proposal.
(c) She is not going to tell Edgar the truth.
(d) To enter marriage with a clear conscience.
13. What does Mary say about Karl when asked?
(a) That he seemed odd.
(b) That he was handsome.
(c) That he wasn't a good musician.
(d) That he seemed sad.
14. What does Karl ask of Mary, which she says no to?
(a) If he can see her again.
(b) If she will go with him to have a late night swim.
(c) If he can stay in the villa with her.
(d) If she is dating someone seriously.
15. What does Rowley reply to Mary's repeated thanks?
(a) That it was not any trouble.
(b) She needs a male protector and it should be him.
(c) She really did nothing wrong.
(d) He loves risky situations and would do something like that for any friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Mary say anything as Karl is talking?
2. Who is Mary relieved to find at the social function at the Villa Bolognese?
3. What is Rowley's first inclination when he sees Karl's body?
4. What else does Mary have to consider about Karl's death?
5. Who comes to ask about the gunshot?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)