|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mary explain sleeping so late?
(a) That she wasn't feeling well.
(b) That it is so overcast, it seemed earlier than it is.
(c) That she took a sleeping pill after Nina had come to her room in the middle of the night.
(d) That she had been reading in bed until quite late.
2. Who sends the telegram?
(a) Lord Seafair.
(b) Her mother.
(d) Her sister.
3. What does Mary look for as soon as Nina leaves the bedroom?
(a) The gun.
(b) The phone number to where Edgar said he is.
(c) Any more signs of blood.
(d) Anything that might show that Karl had been there.
4. What do Mary and Rowley do when a car comes towards them?
(a) Jump in the car and keep driving to find another place.
(b) Hide in the bushes with Karl's body.
(c) Push Karl's body down the hill instead of carrying it.
(d) Pretend to be locked in a passionate embrace.
5. What is Rowley's first inclination when he sees Karl's body?
(a) To yell at Mary.
(b) To leave.
(c) To call the police.
(d) To dig a grave in the garden.
6. Who awakens Mary the next day after Karl's death?
(c) She wakes on her own.
7. What does Mary tell Karl the reason she has sex with him?
(a) She was curious.
(b) She was lonely.
(c) As an act of kindness to give him a short time of happiness.
(d) She does not know why.
8. What does Mary remember as they are down the road a bit?
(a) She is supposed to have breakfast with friends that morning.
(b) Edgar is supposed to be there for breakfast.
(c) Karl had laid his wallet on her dresser.
(d) The bloody towel is still in the car.
9. What is Karl doing after Mary and he have sex?
(a) Sitting at Mary's feet smoking a cigarette.
(b) Playing his violin.
(d) Chopping wood for Mary.
10. What does Rowley say about the gun?
(a) He will take care of the gun.
(b) They will have to report it stolen.
(c) They will have to trust to luck.
(d) They will have to toss it in the Arno River.
11. Why doesn't Mary say anything as Karl is talking?
(a) She does but it doesn't help.
(b) He glares at her as she starts to comfort him.
(c) His situation was so dire, nothing would help.
(d) She believes he brought some of his problems on himself.
12. What is Mary's first instinct to do about Karl?
(a) Call Edgar.
(b) Call the police.
(c) Set fire to the villa and make it look like a fire kills him.
(d) Drag his body out of the house.
13. What does Mary say in response to Rowley's explanation about Karl's death?
(a) She'll never forgive herself.
(b) She thinks Rowley is correct.
(c) She wants to leave that place and the memories.
(d) She will never forgive Karl for doing that in front of her.
14. Why does Rowley wish they had left the gun with Karl?
(a) So Rowley wouldn't have to worry about it later.
(b) To make it look more like a suicide.
(c) To eliminate the risk of police finding it later.
(d) So it could not be traced to Mary.
15. Where is Mary when she receives a telegram?
(a) Having dinner with Rowley.
(b) Still at Villa Bolognese.
(d) In the garden at her villa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Princess ask Mary?
2. What does the Princess say she learned from the restaurant manager?
3. What does Karl tell Mary and she says she does not feel the same way?
4. What does Mary impulsively offer?
5. What does Karl do when Mary pulls out her gun?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)