|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the explanation Rowley offers for Karl killing himself?
(a) Karl was planning to anyway and just found it an opportune moment.
(b) Karl's life was devoid of beauty and hope and Mary had offered that and then told him the truth.
(c) Karl didn't think the gun was loaded.
(d) Karl was insane.
2. Why doesn't Mary say anything as Karl is talking?
(a) She believes he brought some of his problems on himself.
(b) He glares at her as she starts to comfort him.
(c) His situation was so dire, nothing would help.
(d) She does but it doesn't help.
3. Why does Mary tell Rowley that she has sex with Karl?
(a) That he offered her a large sum of money.
(b) She denies they had sex.
(c) That Karl forced her.
(d) The truth.
4. Why doesn't Mary think it would be wise to call the police?
(a) She is afraid that they will arrest her right away.
(b) Because Nina had come and said she heard a bang.
(c) She is not a citizen of that country.
(d) She thinks she should call the police.
5. What does Rowley say about the gun?
(a) They will have to toss it in the Arno River.
(b) They will have to trust to luck.
(c) He will take care of the gun.
(d) They will have to report it stolen.
6. How does Rowley get to Mary's villa?
7. What does Mary remember as they are down the road a bit?
(a) Edgar is supposed to be there for breakfast.
(b) Karl had laid his wallet on her dresser.
(c) The bloody towel is still in the car.
(d) She is supposed to have breakfast with friends that morning.
8. Who is Agata?
(a) Rowley's mother.
(b) Mary's lawyer.
(c) The cook who lives in the village.
(d) The Princess' hairdresser.
9. How does Mary explain sleeping so late?
(a) That she took a sleeping pill after Nina had come to her room in the middle of the night.
(b) That she had been reading in bed until quite late.
(c) That it is so overcast, it seemed earlier than it is.
(d) That she wasn't feeling well.
10. From what country is Karl?
11. What does Karl ask of Mary, which she says no to?
(a) If he can see her again.
(b) If he can stay in the villa with her.
(c) If she is dating someone seriously.
(d) If she will go with him to have a late night swim.
12. How does Rowley reassure Mary?
(a) He says that all the signs point to Karl running off.
(b) He says no one would suspect a respectable, upper-class woman of being involved with a refugee.
(c) He says he will assume the blame if something happens.
(d) He is unable to offer any reassurances.
13. Who sends the telegram?
(a) Lord Seafair.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her sister.
14. What does Rowley reply to Mary's repeated thanks?
(a) That it was not any trouble.
(b) She needs a male protector and it should be him.
(c) She really did nothing wrong.
(d) He loves risky situations and would do something like that for any friend.
15. What does Karl's landlady know about Karl just before his disappearance?
(a) That he had money when he left Peppitos.
(b) That he was about to be married to a girl who is pregnant.
(c) That his mother wrote him recently and asked him to come home.
(d) That he was unhappy in Italy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mary when she receives a telegram?
2. Who awakens Mary the next day after Karl's death?
3. What frightens Mary?
4. What does Karl do when Mary pulls out her gun?
5. What is Karl doing after Mary and he have sex?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)