|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sends the telegram?
(b) Her mother.
(c) Lord Seafair.
(d) Her sister.
2. Who is Agata?
(a) The Princess' hairdresser.
(b) Rowley's mother.
(c) The cook who lives in the village.
(d) Mary's lawyer.
3. What does Rowley insist that Mary do?
(a) Call her lawyer.
(b) Call Edgar.
(c) Take a sleeping pill.
(d) Go to the hotel with him.
4. About whom does the conversation turn to?
(d) Lord Seafair.
5. What does Mary decide she must do as soon as possible?
(a) Call Edgar.
(b) Leave the villa.
(c) Call her father.
(d) Call her lawyer.
6. Why does Rowley ask for the gun?
(a) He does not ask for the gun.
(b) To clean it so it will not be noticeable that it was shot.
(c) To put it by Karl's body.
(d) To throw it in the river.
7. What does the Princess ask Mary?
(a) If Mary remembers the violinist at the dinner the previous evening.
(b) Why Mary doesn't go with the Princess to the opera that evening.
(c) If Mary is having the wedding in England.
(d) If Mary has decided to accept Edgar's proposal.
8. What does Mary impulsively offer?
(a) To talk to the landlady.
(b) To put an ad in the paper asking about Karl.
(c) To write Karl's mother and ask if he is there.
(d) To pay Karl's back rent.
9. How has Mary's opinion changed of Rowley?
(a) She thinks he helped her for his own reasons.
(b) Because he has been a good friend when she was in need.
(c) She thinks he may be planning to blackmail her.
(d) It hasn't.
10. What does Mary do at the end of the chapter?
(a) Has a big breakfast that Nina cooks.
(b) Takes a sleeping pill and falls off to sleep.
(c) Writes Edgar.
(d) Calls her lawyer.
11. Who comes to ask about the gunshot?
(a) No one.
(b) The police.
12. What does he say she should do about her commitments that day?
(a) Attend them.
(b) Call in an excuse.
(c) Attend them at least briefly.
(d) Whatever she wants to do; it did not matter.
13. What is Karl's major?
(a) Classical languages.
(b) Art history.
14. What makes it easier to hide Karl's death?
(a) He has no identification.
(b) He has no family or friends to miss him.
(c) He is a foreigner.
(d) He did not tell his landlady where he was going.
15. What does the Princess say she learned from the restaurant manager?
(a) That the violinist became violent when fired.
(b) That the violinist is related to the cook at the restaurant.
(c) That the violinist is a refugee.
(d) That the owner of the restaruant is returning part of the Princess' check.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changes Karl's life?
2. How does Rowley get to Mary's villa?
3. Why does Mary think of the handgun in her purse?
4. What does Nina tell Mary as Mary is about to leave?
5. What does Karl do after laying Mary on the bed and kissing her repeatedly?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)