|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Mary say anything as Karl is talking?
(a) His situation was so dire, nothing would help.
(b) She believes he brought some of his problems on himself.
(c) She does but it doesn't help.
(d) He glares at her as she starts to comfort him.
2. What will Rowley tie onto a rock and drop in the Arno river?
(a) Karl's wallet.
(b) The bloody towel.
(c) The gun.
3. Why does Mary decide she will tell Edgar the truth about her and Karl?
(a) To get out of the marriage proposal.
(b) She is not going to tell Edgar the truth.
(c) To seek Edgar's advice.
(d) To enter marriage with a clear conscience.
4. What is the Princess going to do about getting Karl fired?
(a) Find him another job.
(b) Send him to the United States where he'll be safe.
(c) Find him and give him some money.
5. From what country is Karl?
6. What frightens Mary?
(a) Nothing since things seems to be working out fine.
(b) Nina knowing she had a male visitor the night of Karl's death.
(c) The idea of Rowley returning to the site where they put Karl's body.
(d) A police investigation finding evidence in her home.
7. What does the Princess say she would do if she were such a poor musician?
(a) Tell everyone to like it or leave.
(b) Take lessons.
(c) Find a different job.
(d) Shoot herself.
8. Where is Karl sent?
(a) To fight in Poland.
(b) A concentration camp.
(c) To find a place for the refugees in France.
(d) To sabotage the Germans in Vienna.
9. What does Karl join?
(a) The resistance.
(b) The Hitler youth group.
(c) A group of people who decide to leave the country.
(d) The Germany military.
10. About what is Rowley concerned?
(a) He is confident and unconcerned.
(b) That the gun can be traced.
(c) That Mary will break down and admit her part.
(d) That someone might accuse him of killing Karl in a jealous rage.
11. What does he say she should do about her commitments that day?
(a) Attend them at least briefly.
(b) Call in an excuse.
(c) Attend them.
(d) Whatever she wants to do; it did not matter.
12. About whom does the conversation turn to?
(b) Lord Seafair.
13. What does Mary recall Rowley telling her?
(a) That he would take her to England in a couple days.
(b) That she must not do anything that would arouse suspicion.
(c) That they may never find Karl's body.
(d) That they would probably find Karl's body soon.
14. What does Karl ask of Mary, which she says no to?
(a) If he can stay in the villa with her.
(b) If she will go with him to have a late night swim.
(c) If she is dating someone seriously.
(d) If he can see her again.
15. Why is Mary angry with Rowley after he leaves?
(a) For putting her through additional turmoil.
(b) For leaving the gun.
(c) For being so nonchalant.
(d) For taking the gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary call Rowley for help?
2. Who is Agata?
3. What do Mary and Rowley do when a car comes towards them?
4. What is Rowley's first inclination when he sees Karl's body?
5. Who is Mary relieved to find at the social function at the Villa Bolognese?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)