|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What changes Karl's life?
(a) His meeting with Mary.
(b) A spiritual teacher in France.
(c) Nothing yet.
(d) Seeing his best friend murdered.
2. What does Rowley reply to Mary's repeated thanks?
(a) She really did nothing wrong.
(b) That it was not any trouble.
(c) He loves risky situations and would do something like that for any friend.
(d) She needs a male protector and it should be him.
3. How has Mary's opinion changed of Rowley?
(a) It hasn't.
(b) She thinks he may be planning to blackmail her.
(c) She thinks he helped her for his own reasons.
(d) Because he has been a good friend when she was in need.
4. What does Karl's father do when the German troops march into the town?
(b) Shoots several German soldiers before they kill him.
(c) Runs away deserting the family.
(d) Shoots himself.
5. Where is Karl sent?
(a) To sabotage the Germans in Vienna.
(b) A concentration camp.
(c) To fight in Poland.
(d) To find a place for the refugees in France.
6. What do Mary and Rowley do when a car comes towards them?
(a) Jump in the car and keep driving to find another place.
(b) Push Karl's body down the hill instead of carrying it.
(c) Pretend to be locked in a passionate embrace.
(d) Hide in the bushes with Karl's body.
7. Where is Mary when she receives a telegram?
(b) Still at Villa Bolognese.
(c) In the garden at her villa.
(d) Having dinner with Rowley.
8. What does Mary look for as soon as Nina leaves the bedroom?
(a) Any more signs of blood.
(b) The gun.
(c) The phone number to where Edgar said he is.
(d) Anything that might show that Karl had been there.
9. Why does Rowley wish they had left the gun with Karl?
(a) To make it look more like a suicide.
(b) So Rowley wouldn't have to worry about it later.
(c) To eliminate the risk of police finding it later.
(d) So it could not be traced to Mary.
10. What does Nina tell Mary as Mary is about to leave?
(a) Edgar just called.
(b) She is beautiful.
(c) The police just called.
(d) Rowley is in the parlour.
11. Why is there little blood to contend with?
(a) It all leaked out on the bathroom floor which Mary mopped up while waiting for Rowley.
(b) Karl shot himself in the perfect spot that causes little blood.
(c) Most of it has seeped inside of him.
(d) There is lots of blood everywhere.
12. What is the Princess going to do about getting Karl fired?
(a) Send him to the United States where he'll be safe.
(b) Find him another job.
(d) Find him and give him some money.
13. Why is Rowley driving fast?
(a) He is angry that Mary called him.
(b) He is nervous.
(c) He always drives fast.
(d) To get finished before daylight.
14. How does Mary explain the sound Nina heard?
(a) An animal in the crawl space.
(b) She does not offer any ideas.
(c) A car passing the villa.
(d) A hunter.
15. What does Karl's landlady know about Karl just before his disappearance?
(a) That he was about to be married to a girl who is pregnant.
(b) That he had money when he left Peppitos.
(c) That he was unhappy in Italy.
(d) That his mother wrote him recently and asked him to come home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mary supposed to be at one o'clock?
2. What does Rowley say about the gun?
3. What is the explanation Rowley offers for Karl killing himself?
4. Why doesn't Mary think it would be wise to call the police?
5. What frightens Mary?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)