|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rowley ask for the gun?
(a) To put it by Karl's body.
(b) To throw it in the river.
(c) To clean it so it will not be noticeable that it was shot.
(d) He does not ask for the gun.
2. Why doesn't Mary say anything as Karl is talking?
(a) She believes he brought some of his problems on himself.
(b) She does but it doesn't help.
(c) His situation was so dire, nothing would help.
(d) He glares at her as she starts to comfort him.
3. What does Mary impulsively offer?
(a) To write Karl's mother and ask if he is there.
(b) To talk to the landlady.
(c) To pay Karl's back rent.
(d) To put an ad in the paper asking about Karl.
4. What does Karl join?
(a) The resistance.
(b) The Germany military.
(c) A group of people who decide to leave the country.
(d) The Hitler youth group.
5. What is the explanation Rowley offers for Karl killing himself?
(a) Karl's life was devoid of beauty and hope and Mary had offered that and then told him the truth.
(b) Karl didn't think the gun was loaded.
(c) Karl was insane.
(d) Karl was planning to anyway and just found it an opportune moment.
6. What is Karl doing after Mary and he have sex?
(a) Playing his violin.
(b) Sitting at Mary's feet smoking a cigarette.
(d) Chopping wood for Mary.
7. What does Karl imply that Mary is?
(a) A temptress.
8. What do Mary and Rowley do when a car comes towards them?
(a) Push Karl's body down the hill instead of carrying it.
(b) Pretend to be locked in a passionate embrace.
(c) Hide in the bushes with Karl's body.
(d) Jump in the car and keep driving to find another place.
9. Why is there little blood to contend with?
(a) There is lots of blood everywhere.
(b) Most of it has seeped inside of him.
(c) Karl shot himself in the perfect spot that causes little blood.
(d) It all leaked out on the bathroom floor which Mary mopped up while waiting for Rowley.
10. Where is Mary supposed to be at one o'clock?
(a) Villa Bolognese.
(b) To have lunch with Rowley.
(c) The Princess' villa.
(d) To meet with her lawyer in Florence.
11. What does Rowley reply to Mary's repeated thanks?
(a) She really did nothing wrong.
(b) That it was not any trouble.
(c) She needs a male protector and it should be him.
(d) He loves risky situations and would do something like that for any friend.
12. What does Rowley say about the gun?
(a) They will have to trust to luck.
(b) They will have to toss it in the Arno River.
(c) They will have to report it stolen.
(d) He will take care of the gun.
13. What does Karl's landlady know about Karl just before his disappearance?
(a) That his mother wrote him recently and asked him to come home.
(b) That he was about to be married to a girl who is pregnant.
(c) That he had money when he left Peppitos.
(d) That he was unhappy in Italy.
14. How does Mary explain the sound Nina heard?
(a) An animal in the crawl space.
(b) She does not offer any ideas.
(c) A hunter.
(d) A car passing the villa.
15. Why does Mary tell Rowley that she has sex with Karl?
(a) That he offered her a large sum of money.
(b) That Karl forced her.
(c) The truth.
(d) She denies they had sex.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to ask about the gunshot?
2. What does Mary do at the end of the chapter?
3. What does Mary say about Karl when asked?
4. What does Karl do after laying Mary on the bed and kissing her repeatedly?
5. What is Karl's major?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)