|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary say that further angers Karl?
(a) She offers him money.
(b) She says she went to bed with him on a dare from a friend.
(c) She says the sex was terrible.
(d) She says she would never marry a penniless man.
2. Why does Rowley wish they had left the gun with Karl?
(a) To make it look more like a suicide.
(b) So Rowley wouldn't have to worry about it later.
(c) To eliminate the risk of police finding it later.
(d) So it could not be traced to Mary.
3. What does the Princess say she learned from the restaurant manager?
(a) That the owner of the restaruant is returning part of the Princess' check.
(b) That the violinist is a refugee.
(c) That the violinist is related to the cook at the restaurant.
(d) That the violinist became violent when fired.
4. Why is Rowley driving fast?
(a) He is angry that Mary called him.
(b) He is nervous.
(c) He always drives fast.
(d) To get finished before daylight.
5. Why is Mary angry with Rowley after he leaves?
(a) For being so nonchalant.
(b) For putting her through additional turmoil.
(c) For leaving the gun.
(d) For taking the gun.
6. How does Mary explain the sound Nina heard?
(a) An animal in the crawl space.
(b) She does not offer any ideas.
(c) A hunter.
(d) A car passing the villa.
7. What does Karl's landlady know about Karl just before his disappearance?
(a) That he was unhappy in Italy.
(b) That he had money when he left Peppitos.
(c) That his mother wrote him recently and asked him to come home.
(d) That he was about to be married to a girl who is pregnant.
8. Why does Mary think of the handgun in her purse?
(a) She wonders if she could kill a man.
(b) She becomes frightened.
(c) She forgot she has the handgun.
(d) She feels suicidal for being so cruel to Karl.
9. Who is Agata?
(a) Rowley's mother.
(b) The Princess' hairdresser.
(c) The cook who lives in the village.
(d) Mary's lawyer.
10. What does Karl tell Mary and she says she does not feel the same way?
(a) Karl tells Mary he loves her.
(b) Karl says his time in bed with her was the best experience he has ever had.
(c) Karl tells Mary he wants to gain revenge against the Germans.
11. Where is Mary supposed to be at one o'clock?
(a) The Princess' villa.
(b) To meet with her lawyer in Florence.
(c) To have lunch with Rowley.
(d) Villa Bolognese.
12. Why does Mary tell Rowley that she has sex with Karl?
(a) She denies they had sex.
(b) That Karl forced her.
(c) That he offered her a large sum of money.
(d) The truth.
13. What is rumored about Karl?
(a) That he was murdered.
(b) That he has gone to join the Nazis.
(c) That he hasn't paid rent for three weeks.
(d) That he is having an affair with a lady of high rank.
14. Why does Mary decide she will tell Edgar the truth about her and Karl?
(a) To get out of the marriage proposal.
(b) To enter marriage with a clear conscience.
(c) To seek Edgar's advice.
(d) She is not going to tell Edgar the truth.
15. From what country is Karl?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Mary and Rowley do when a car comes towards them?
2. Why doesn't Mary think it would be wise to call the police?
3. How does Rowley get to Mary's villa?
4. What does Rowley insist that Mary do?
5. What does Mary impulsively offer?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)