|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is there little blood to contend with?
(a) Most of it has seeped inside of him.
(b) Karl shot himself in the perfect spot that causes little blood.
(c) There is lots of blood everywhere.
(d) It all leaked out on the bathroom floor which Mary mopped up while waiting for Rowley.
2. What does Karl do when Mary pulls out her gun?
(a) He grabs the gun and shoots at her.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He turns and runs.
(d) He tells her to shoot him.
3. Who awakens Mary the next day after Karl's death?
(d) She wakes on her own.
4. What do Mary and Rowley do when a car comes towards them?
(a) Hide in the bushes with Karl's body.
(b) Pretend to be locked in a passionate embrace.
(c) Jump in the car and keep driving to find another place.
(d) Push Karl's body down the hill instead of carrying it.
5. What does Mary say that further angers Karl?
(a) She says she went to bed with him on a dare from a friend.
(b) She says the sex was terrible.
(c) She offers him money.
(d) She says she would never marry a penniless man.
6. Why does Rowley wish they had left the gun with Karl?
(a) To make it look more like a suicide.
(b) To eliminate the risk of police finding it later.
(c) So it could not be traced to Mary.
(d) So Rowley wouldn't have to worry about it later.
7. What is Karl's major?
(c) Art history.
(d) Classical languages.
8. Where is Karl sent?
(a) To find a place for the refugees in France.
(b) To fight in Poland.
(c) A concentration camp.
(d) To sabotage the Germans in Vienna.
9. What does Karl ask of Mary, which she says no to?
(a) If he can see her again.
(b) If she is dating someone seriously.
(c) If he can stay in the villa with her.
(d) If she will go with him to have a late night swim.
10. Why does Rowley ask for the gun?
(a) To put it by Karl's body.
(b) To clean it so it will not be noticeable that it was shot.
(c) He does not ask for the gun.
(d) To throw it in the river.
11. Where is Mary when she receives a telegram?
(a) In the garden at her villa.
(c) Having dinner with Rowley.
(d) Still at Villa Bolognese.
12. Why is Mary angry with Rowley after he leaves?
(a) For leaving the gun.
(b) For putting her through additional turmoil.
(c) For being so nonchalant.
(d) For taking the gun.
13. What does the Princess ask Mary?
(a) If Mary remembers the violinist at the dinner the previous evening.
(b) If Mary has decided to accept Edgar's proposal.
(c) If Mary is having the wedding in England.
(d) Why Mary doesn't go with the Princess to the opera that evening.
14. What does Mary impulsively offer?
(a) To pay Karl's back rent.
(b) To put an ad in the paper asking about Karl.
(c) To talk to the landlady.
(d) To write Karl's mother and ask if he is there.
15. What is the explanation Rowley offers for Karl killing himself?
(a) Karl was planning to anyway and just found it an opportune moment.
(b) Karl didn't think the gun was loaded.
(c) Karl's life was devoid of beauty and hope and Mary had offered that and then told him the truth.
(d) Karl was insane.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rowley's first inclination when he sees Karl's body?
2. What does Mary recall Rowley telling her?
3. What does Karl's landlady know about Karl just before his disappearance?
4. What does Rowley insist that Mary do?
5. What does Mary tell Karl the reason she has sex with him?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)