|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mary explain sleeping so late?
(a) That she had been reading in bed until quite late.
(b) That she wasn't feeling well.
(c) That it is so overcast, it seemed earlier than it is.
(d) That she took a sleeping pill after Nina had come to her room in the middle of the night.
2. What does Mary do at the end of the chapter?
(a) Calls her lawyer.
(b) Takes a sleeping pill and falls off to sleep.
(c) Has a big breakfast that Nina cooks.
(d) Writes Edgar.
3. What does Karl tell Mary and she says she does not feel the same way?
(a) Karl tells Mary he wants to gain revenge against the Germans.
(b) Karl tells Mary he loves her.
(d) Karl says his time in bed with her was the best experience he has ever had.
4. What will Rowley tie onto a rock and drop in the Arno river?
(a) Karl's wallet.
(c) The bloody towel.
(d) The gun.
5. Who is Agata?
(a) The cook who lives in the village.
(b) The Princess' hairdresser.
(c) Rowley's mother.
(d) Mary's lawyer.
6. Where is Mary when she receives a telegram?
(a) Still at Villa Bolognese.
(c) In the garden at her villa.
(d) Having dinner with Rowley.
7. What does Karl's father do when the German troops march into the town?
(b) Shoots himself.
(c) Shoots several German soldiers before they kill him.
(d) Runs away deserting the family.
8. What frightens Mary?
(a) Nina knowing she had a male visitor the night of Karl's death.
(b) A police investigation finding evidence in her home.
(c) The idea of Rowley returning to the site where they put Karl's body.
(d) Nothing since things seems to be working out fine.
9. What does he say she should do about her commitments that day?
(a) Attend them.
(b) Attend them at least briefly.
(c) Call in an excuse.
(d) Whatever she wants to do; it did not matter.
10. Why does Mary decide she will tell Edgar the truth about her and Karl?
(a) To get out of the marriage proposal.
(b) To seek Edgar's advice.
(c) To enter marriage with a clear conscience.
(d) She is not going to tell Edgar the truth.
11. What does Nina tell Mary as Mary is about to leave?
(a) The police just called.
(b) Edgar just called.
(c) Rowley is in the parlour.
(d) She is beautiful.
12. How has Mary's opinion changed of Rowley?
(a) Because he has been a good friend when she was in need.
(b) It hasn't.
(c) She thinks he helped her for his own reasons.
(d) She thinks he may be planning to blackmail her.
13. What does Mary tell Karl the reason she has sex with him?
(a) She was lonely.
(b) She does not know why.
(c) As an act of kindness to give him a short time of happiness.
(d) She was curious.
14. Who comes to ask about the gunshot?
(b) No one.
(c) The police.
15. Why does Rowley wish they had left the gun with Karl?
(a) To eliminate the risk of police finding it later.
(b) So Rowley wouldn't have to worry about it later.
(c) So it could not be traced to Mary.
(d) To make it look more like a suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Princess say she learned from the restaurant manager?
2. What does Mary say about Karl when asked?
3. What is rumored about Karl?
4. Why does Rowley ask for the gun?
5. What do Mary and Rowley do when a car comes towards them?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)