|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rowley wish they had left the gun with Karl?
(a) To eliminate the risk of police finding it later.
(b) So it could not be traced to Mary.
(c) So Rowley wouldn't have to worry about it later.
(d) To make it look more like a suicide.
2. What does Nina tell Mary as Mary is about to leave?
(a) She is beautiful.
(b) The police just called.
(c) Rowley is in the parlour.
(d) Edgar just called.
3. Who is Mary relieved to find at the social function at the Villa Bolognese?
(a) No one she knows.
(d) Lord Seafair.
4. Who sends the telegram?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her mother.
(d) Lord Seafair.
5. What does Mary say about Karl when asked?
(a) That he was handsome.
(b) That he wasn't a good musician.
(c) That he seemed odd.
(d) That he seemed sad.
6. What does Mary do at the end of the chapter?
(a) Has a big breakfast that Nina cooks.
(b) Calls her lawyer.
(c) Takes a sleeping pill and falls off to sleep.
(d) Writes Edgar.
7. What does Mary realize about the gun?
(a) That Ciro would know that it had been fired.
(b) That it probably has Karl's fingerprints on the grip.
(c) That it could be traced to her.
(d) That it may have her fingerprints on the grip.
8. What makes it easier to hide Karl's death?
(a) He has no identification.
(b) He is a foreigner.
(c) He did not tell his landlady where he was going.
(d) He has no family or friends to miss him.
9. What does Karl's landlady know about Karl just before his disappearance?
(a) That he was unhappy in Italy.
(b) That he was about to be married to a girl who is pregnant.
(c) That he had money when he left Peppitos.
(d) That his mother wrote him recently and asked him to come home.
10. What does Mary tell Karl the reason she has sex with him?
(a) She was lonely.
(b) As an act of kindness to give him a short time of happiness.
(c) She was curious.
(d) She does not know why.
11. What does Karl do after laying Mary on the bed and kissing her repeatedly?
(b) Falls asleep.
(c) Kills himself.
(d) Breaks the windows.
12. What does Karl ask of Mary, which she says no to?
(a) If he can see her again.
(b) If she will go with him to have a late night swim.
(c) If she is dating someone seriously.
(d) If he can stay in the villa with her.
13. Who is Agata?
(a) Rowley's mother.
(b) The Princess' hairdresser.
(c) Mary's lawyer.
(d) The cook who lives in the village.
14. Who lives in the Villa Bolognese?
(a) The Atkinsons.
(b) It is unoccupied at this time.
(c) The Leopards.
(d) No one; it's a commercial establishment.
15. What does Mary remember as they are down the road a bit?
(a) The bloody towel is still in the car.
(b) Karl had laid his wallet on her dresser.
(c) She is supposed to have breakfast with friends that morning.
(d) Edgar is supposed to be there for breakfast.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rowley reassure Mary?
2. What is the Princess going to do about getting Karl fired?
3. What does Mary force herself to do?
4. Why does Mary tell Rowley that she has sex with Karl?
5. How does Mary feel when the conversation turns away from the subject of Karl?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)