|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karl ask of Mary, which she says no to?
(a) If she will go with him to have a late night swim.
(b) If he can see her again.
(c) If she is dating someone seriously.
(d) If he can stay in the villa with her.
2. What does Rowley reply to Mary's repeated thanks?
(a) She really did nothing wrong.
(b) He loves risky situations and would do something like that for any friend.
(c) That it was not any trouble.
(d) She needs a male protector and it should be him.
3. What does he say she should do about her commitments that day?
(a) Attend them at least briefly.
(b) Whatever she wants to do; it did not matter.
(c) Call in an excuse.
(d) Attend them.
4. Where is Mary when she receives a telegram?
(b) Still at Villa Bolognese.
(c) Having dinner with Rowley.
(d) In the garden at her villa.
5. What will Rowley tie onto a rock and drop in the Arno river?
(a) Karl's wallet.
(b) The gun.
(d) The bloody towel.
6. What else does Mary have to consider about Karl's death?
(a) That she needs to notify Karl's sister.
(b) That she needs to notify Karl's mother.
(c) That she has gotten Rowley involved.
(d) That the police would have absolutely no reason to suspect her if she keeps her head.
7. Where is Mary supposed to be at one o'clock?
(a) Villa Bolognese.
(b) The Princess' villa.
(c) To meet with her lawyer in Florence.
(d) To have lunch with Rowley.
8. How does Rowley get to Mary's villa?
9. What is Rowley's first inclination when he sees Karl's body?
(a) To call the police.
(b) To yell at Mary.
(c) To dig a grave in the garden.
(d) To leave.
10. Why doesn't Mary say anything as Karl is talking?
(a) She does but it doesn't help.
(b) His situation was so dire, nothing would help.
(c) She believes he brought some of his problems on himself.
(d) He glares at her as she starts to comfort him.
11. Why does Mary tell Rowley that she has sex with Karl?
(a) That Karl forced her.
(b) That he offered her a large sum of money.
(c) The truth.
(d) She denies they had sex.
12. What does Mary recall Rowley telling her?
(a) That they may never find Karl's body.
(b) That they would probably find Karl's body soon.
(c) That she must not do anything that would arouse suspicion.
(d) That he would take her to England in a couple days.
13. Why does Mary decide she will tell Edgar the truth about her and Karl?
(a) To enter marriage with a clear conscience.
(b) To seek Edgar's advice.
(c) She is not going to tell Edgar the truth.
(d) To get out of the marriage proposal.
14. What frightens Mary?
(a) Nina knowing she had a male visitor the night of Karl's death.
(b) A police investigation finding evidence in her home.
(c) Nothing since things seems to be working out fine.
(d) The idea of Rowley returning to the site where they put Karl's body.
15. What changes Karl's life?
(a) A spiritual teacher in France.
(b) Seeing his best friend murdered.
(c) Nothing yet.
(d) His meeting with Mary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Princess say she would do if she were such a poor musician?
2. What is Rowley's suggestion since Mary doesn't want to call the police?
3. Who is Mary relieved to find at the social function at the Villa Bolognese?
4. What does Mary say that further angers Karl?
5. What does Mary look for as soon as Nina leaves the bedroom?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)