|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rowley say about the gun?
(a) They will have to toss it in the Arno River.
(b) He will take care of the gun.
(c) They will have to trust to luck.
(d) They will have to report it stolen.
2. What does Mary decide she must do as soon as possible?
(a) Call her father.
(b) Leave the villa.
(c) Call Edgar.
(d) Call her lawyer.
3. What does Mary say in response to Rowley's explanation about Karl's death?
(a) She'll never forgive herself.
(b) She will never forgive Karl for doing that in front of her.
(c) She wants to leave that place and the memories.
(d) She thinks Rowley is correct.
4. What is the explanation Rowley offers for Karl killing himself?
(a) Karl's life was devoid of beauty and hope and Mary had offered that and then told him the truth.
(b) Karl was insane.
(c) Karl was planning to anyway and just found it an opportune moment.
(d) Karl didn't think the gun was loaded.
5. Why does Rowley ask for the gun?
(a) To clean it so it will not be noticeable that it was shot.
(b) To throw it in the river.
(c) To put it by Karl's body.
(d) He does not ask for the gun.
6. What does Karl join?
(a) A group of people who decide to leave the country.
(b) The Germany military.
(c) The Hitler youth group.
(d) The resistance.
7. How does Rowley reassure Mary?
(a) He says no one would suspect a respectable, upper-class woman of being involved with a refugee.
(b) He says he will assume the blame if something happens.
(c) He is unable to offer any reassurances.
(d) He says that all the signs point to Karl running off.
8. Who comes to ask about the gunshot?
(b) No one.
(c) The police.
9. How has Mary's opinion changed of Rowley?
(a) It hasn't.
(b) Because he has been a good friend when she was in need.
(c) She thinks he may be planning to blackmail her.
(d) She thinks he helped her for his own reasons.
10. What does Karl do when Mary pulls out her gun?
(a) He tells her to shoot him.
(b) He turns and runs.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He grabs the gun and shoots at her.
11. What does Mary say about Karl when asked?
(a) That he seemed odd.
(b) That he wasn't a good musician.
(c) That he was handsome.
(d) That he seemed sad.
12. Why does Mary tell Rowley that she has sex with Karl?
(a) The truth.
(b) That Karl forced her.
(c) She denies they had sex.
(d) That he offered her a large sum of money.
13. How does Mary explain the sound Nina heard?
(a) An animal in the crawl space.
(b) A car passing the villa.
(c) She does not offer any ideas.
(d) A hunter.
14. About what is Rowley concerned?
(a) That the gun can be traced.
(b) That Mary will break down and admit her part.
(c) He is confident and unconcerned.
(d) That someone might accuse him of killing Karl in a jealous rage.
15. What frightens Mary?
(a) The idea of Rowley returning to the site where they put Karl's body.
(b) Nothing since things seems to be working out fine.
(c) Nina knowing she had a male visitor the night of Karl's death.
(d) A police investigation finding evidence in her home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary remember as they are down the road a bit?
2. Why does Mary think of the handgun in her purse?
3. Who is Agata?
4. About whom does the conversation turn to?
5. What else does Mary have to consider about Karl's death?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)