|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to ask about the gunshot?
(a) No one.
(c) The police.
2. About whom does the conversation turn to?
(b) Lord Seafair.
3. What does Mary say in response to Rowley's explanation about Karl's death?
(a) She wants to leave that place and the memories.
(b) She thinks Rowley is correct.
(c) She'll never forgive herself.
(d) She will never forgive Karl for doing that in front of her.
4. Where is Mary when she receives a telegram?
(a) Having dinner with Rowley.
(b) In the garden at her villa.
(c) Still at Villa Bolognese.
5. What does Mary look for as soon as Nina leaves the bedroom?
(a) Any more signs of blood.
(b) The gun.
(c) Anything that might show that Karl had been there.
(d) The phone number to where Edgar said he is.
6. What does Mary say that further angers Karl?
(a) She says the sex was terrible.
(b) She says she went to bed with him on a dare from a friend.
(c) She says she would never marry a penniless man.
(d) She offers him money.
7. What does the Princess ask Mary?
(a) If Mary is having the wedding in England.
(b) Why Mary doesn't go with the Princess to the opera that evening.
(c) If Mary remembers the violinist at the dinner the previous evening.
(d) If Mary has decided to accept Edgar's proposal.
8. What does Rowley insist that Mary do?
(a) Call her lawyer.
(b) Call Edgar.
(c) Go to the hotel with him.
(d) Take a sleeping pill.
9. Who is Mary relieved to find at the social function at the Villa Bolognese?
(a) No one she knows.
(d) Lord Seafair.
10. Why is Rowley driving fast?
(a) He always drives fast.
(b) He is angry that Mary called him.
(c) He is nervous.
(d) To get finished before daylight.
11. What will Rowley tie onto a rock and drop in the Arno river?
(a) Karl's wallet.
(b) The gun.
(c) The bloody towel.
12. Why does Rowley wish they had left the gun with Karl?
(a) So Rowley wouldn't have to worry about it later.
(b) To eliminate the risk of police finding it later.
(c) So it could not be traced to Mary.
(d) To make it look more like a suicide.
13. What does he say she should do about her commitments that day?
(a) Call in an excuse.
(b) Attend them.
(c) Attend them at least briefly.
(d) Whatever she wants to do; it did not matter.
14. Why does Mary think of the handgun in her purse?
(a) She wonders if she could kill a man.
(b) She forgot she has the handgun.
(c) She becomes frightened.
(d) She feels suicidal for being so cruel to Karl.
15. What does Mary remember as they are down the road a bit?
(a) She is supposed to have breakfast with friends that morning.
(b) Edgar is supposed to be there for breakfast.
(c) The bloody towel is still in the car.
(d) Karl had laid his wallet on her dresser.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the explanation Rowley offers for Karl killing himself?
2. What is Karl doing after Mary and he have sex?
3. From what country is Karl?
4. What does Mary do at the end of the chapter?
5. What does Karl's father do when the German troops march into the town?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)