|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary remember as they are down the road a bit?
(a) The bloody towel is still in the car.
(b) Edgar is supposed to be there for breakfast.
(c) Karl had laid his wallet on her dresser.
(d) She is supposed to have breakfast with friends that morning.
2. What does the Princess say she learned from the restaurant manager?
(a) That the violinist became violent when fired.
(b) That the owner of the restaruant is returning part of the Princess' check.
(c) That the violinist is related to the cook at the restaurant.
(d) That the violinist is a refugee.
3. What does Karl do when Mary pulls out her gun?
(a) He turns and runs.
(b) He tells her to shoot him.
(c) He grabs the gun and shoots at her.
(d) He laughs.
4. What does Mary force herself to do?
(a) Eat some breakfast.
(c) Clean up a little blood remaining on the floor.
(d) Act naturally.
5. Where is Mary when she receives a telegram?
(a) In the garden at her villa.
(c) Still at Villa Bolognese.
(d) Having dinner with Rowley.
6. What does Karl tell Mary and she says she does not feel the same way?
(a) Karl tells Mary he loves her.
(c) Karl tells Mary he wants to gain revenge against the Germans.
(d) Karl says his time in bed with her was the best experience he has ever had.
7. What does Karl's landlady know about Karl just before his disappearance?
(a) That he had money when he left Peppitos.
(b) That he was unhappy in Italy.
(c) That his mother wrote him recently and asked him to come home.
(d) That he was about to be married to a girl who is pregnant.
8. What does Rowley reply to Mary's repeated thanks?
(a) She needs a male protector and it should be him.
(b) She really did nothing wrong.
(c) He loves risky situations and would do something like that for any friend.
(d) That it was not any trouble.
9. What does Nina tell Mary as Mary is about to leave?
(a) She is beautiful.
(b) Rowley is in the parlour.
(c) Edgar just called.
(d) The police just called.
10. What does Karl imply that Mary is?
(c) A temptress.
11. How has Mary's opinion changed of Rowley?
(a) It hasn't.
(b) Because he has been a good friend when she was in need.
(c) She thinks he helped her for his own reasons.
(d) She thinks he may be planning to blackmail her.
12. Who is Mary expecting shortly after receiving the telegram?
(c) The Princess.
(d) Lord Seafair.
13. What does Rowley insist that Mary do?
(a) Call Edgar.
(b) Go to the hotel with him.
(c) Call her lawyer.
(d) Take a sleeping pill.
14. What is Karl doing after Mary and he have sex?
(a) Sitting at Mary's feet smoking a cigarette.
(b) Playing his violin.
(d) Chopping wood for Mary.
15. What does Mary do at the end of the chapter?
(a) Calls her lawyer.
(b) Takes a sleeping pill and falls off to sleep.
(c) Has a big breakfast that Nina cooks.
(d) Writes Edgar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What else does Mary have to consider about Karl's death?
2. What does the Princess say she would do if she were such a poor musician?
3. What does Mary say about Karl when asked?
4. Who is Mary relieved to find at the social function at the Villa Bolognese?
5. Why does Mary think of the handgun in her purse?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)