|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will Rowley tie onto a rock and drop in the Arno river?
(a) The gun.
(b) The bloody towel.
(c) Karl's wallet.
2. What does Rowley reply to Mary's repeated thanks?
(a) She needs a male protector and it should be him.
(b) He loves risky situations and would do something like that for any friend.
(c) That it was not any trouble.
(d) She really did nothing wrong.
3. What does Mary do at the end of the chapter?
(a) Calls her lawyer.
(b) Takes a sleeping pill and falls off to sleep.
(c) Writes Edgar.
(d) Has a big breakfast that Nina cooks.
4. How does Rowley get to Mary's villa?
5. What does Mary remember as they are down the road a bit?
(a) The bloody towel is still in the car.
(b) Edgar is supposed to be there for breakfast.
(c) She is supposed to have breakfast with friends that morning.
(d) Karl had laid his wallet on her dresser.
6. What does Karl imply that Mary is?
(b) A temptress.
7. Who comes to ask about the gunshot?
(a) The police.
(c) No one.
8. What does Mary say that further angers Karl?
(a) She says the sex was terrible.
(b) She says she went to bed with him on a dare from a friend.
(c) She says she would never marry a penniless man.
(d) She offers him money.
9. Why does Mary call Rowley for help?
(a) She thinks he is smart.
(b) She is afraid of the police.
(c) She thinks he'd be discreet.
(d) He's in the same motel as Edgar and she knows that number.q
10. What does the Princess ask Mary?
(a) If Mary remembers the violinist at the dinner the previous evening.
(b) Why Mary doesn't go with the Princess to the opera that evening.
(c) If Mary has decided to accept Edgar's proposal.
(d) If Mary is having the wedding in England.
11. Who is Agata?
(a) Mary's lawyer.
(b) The cook who lives in the village.
(c) Rowley's mother.
(d) The Princess' hairdresser.
12. What is the Princess going to do about getting Karl fired?
(a) Find him another job.
(c) Find him and give him some money.
(d) Send him to the United States where he'll be safe.
13. Why does Rowley wish they had left the gun with Karl?
(a) To make it look more like a suicide.
(b) To eliminate the risk of police finding it later.
(c) So it could not be traced to Mary.
(d) So Rowley wouldn't have to worry about it later.
14. What is Rowley's first inclination when he sees Karl's body?
(a) To call the police.
(b) To yell at Mary.
(c) To leave.
(d) To dig a grave in the garden.
15. How does Mary explain sleeping so late?
(a) That it is so overcast, it seemed earlier than it is.
(b) That she wasn't feeling well.
(c) That she had been reading in bed until quite late.
(d) That she took a sleeping pill after Nina had come to her room in the middle of the night.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rowley ask for the gun?
2. What does Mary force herself to do?
3. What does Mary decide she must do as soon as possible?
4. What does Mary say about Karl when asked?
5. Why doesn't Mary say anything as Karl is talking?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)