|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who advised Mary not to marry Matthew?
(a) Many people.
(b) No one.
(c) Matthew's mother.
(d) Only Matthew's brother.
2. What is Rowley's parting shot at Mary?
(a) About her strangely unromantic attitude.
(b) About marriage with Edgar.
(c) That he hopes she does not use the gun on Edgar.
(d) About his ability to keep her out of the poorhouse.
3. Where does Rowley suggest Mary and he go that night?
(a) To his motel room.
(b) To a late-night cafe for coffee alone.
(c) For a ride in the country.
(d) To her villa.
4. Why does Mary think the tip she leaves will mean a great deal?
(a) It is done in generosity rather than condescension.
(b) She does not really think about it.
(c) She noticed how shabby the person's shoes are.
(d) The person will not expect it.
5. Why is Rowley Flint invited to the party?
(a) As a balance to the Princess's husband's taciturn nature.
(b) Because he just arrived in Florence and is a childhood friend of the Princess.
(c) To even out the attendance after Edgar gave his regrets.
(d) As a possible suitor for Mary.
6. In what century is the Tuscan villa built?
7. What is the amount most people give the entertainer?
(a) Five or ten lira.
(b) At least fifty lira.
(c) Nothing; he is paid by the hostess.
(d) He was such a poor musician, most only give him a lira or two.
8. For what is the Princess known?
(a) Her generosity.
(b) Her caustic remarks.
(c) Her wealth.
(d) Her beauty.
9. How does Mary respond to Edgar's question?
(a) She says she is not comfortable with his staying at the villa since she is alone.
(b) She says she is not ready to return to England.
(c) She does not know the woman who Edgar plans to marry.
(d) She asks for a few days to consider it.
10. Why does Karl Richter take the job at the restaurant as a violinist?
(a) He hopes to make connections.
(b) He has no place to live.
(c) He loves music.
(d) His landlady needs the money.
11. Of what is Rowley concerned?
(a) That Mary will never consider marriage again after her first experience.
(b) That Mary will marry and be unhappy.
(c) That Mary will be alright getting home.
(d) That Mary will tell someone how nice Rowley really is.
12. What did Mary know about that Matthew tried to hide?
(a) That is inheritance was almost gone.
(b) That he had syphillis.
(c) That he had a gambling problem also.
(d) His drinking in secret and affairs.
13. What does Rowley find in her purse?
(a) A picture of Matthew.
(b) A blackmail note.
(c) A suicide note.
(d) The gun.
14. What does Mary admit she came to feel?
(a) Nothing for Matthew.
(b) Despise for Matthew.
(c) Horrific anger at Matthew.
(d) Extreme pity for Matthew.
15. Why is Mary Panton at the villa?
(a) To visit her sister and her husband who rent the villa.
(b) For recuperation from emotional trauma.
(c) To oversee its remodeling.
(d) To meet with her husband who has been conducting business nearby.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Mary known Edgar?
2. What does Edgar ask Mary?
3. Where is the party Mary is attending that night to be held?
4. Who is generally in good humor?
5. Why couldn't Mary end the marriage?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)