|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what has Edgar proven himself?
2. What does Mary think about on the way to the party?
(a) Her mother's vague allusions to health issues.
(b) Edgar's question.
(c) How to maximize the little money she has remaining.
(d) Her sister's pending divorce.
3. About what do Mary and Rowley speak at length?
(a) Rowley's new business venture in Tuscany.
(b) Mary and Edgar and Mary's situation.
(c) Mary's father's architectural designs.
(d) Rowley's home in the United States.
4. What does Nina remind Mary to do?
(a) Carry her pistol.
(b) Apply rouge and eye liner.
(c) Call her sister back.
(d) Have the car filled with petrol.
5. Why does Mary think the tip she leaves will mean a great deal?
(a) She does not really think about it.
(b) She noticed how shabby the person's shoes are.
(c) The person will not expect it.
(d) It is done in generosity rather than condescension.
6. What position does Mary believe Edgar might be offered?
(a) A position with the largest architectural firm in Italy.
(b) A position with her father's conglomerate.
(c) A position with the government.
(d) She doesn't believe he will receive an offer.
7. Of what nationality is Princess San Ferdinando?
8. What does Mary learn when Edgar arrives?
(a) He has been knighted.
(b) He is getting married to someone else.
(c) He's been offered a position as governor of Bengal.
(d) He is dying.
9. Why couldn't Mary end the marriage?
(a) She was embarrassed.
(b) Matthew was so dependent on her.
(c) She was paid by Matthew's parents to stay.
(d) She thought he would change eventually.
10. Who is Edgar Swift?
(a) Her brother-in-law.
(b) Her second cousin.
(c) The tenant of a villa Mary wants to buy.
(d) A man for whom Mary is waiting.
11. What is Mary's reply?
(a) She would consider it.
(b) She isn't over Matthew yet.
(c) She is not in love with him.
(d) She does not want to live in the United States.
12. Of what is Rowley concerned?
(a) That Mary will be alright getting home.
(b) That Mary will marry and be unhappy.
(c) That Mary will tell someone how nice Rowley really is.
(d) That Mary will never consider marriage again after her first experience.
13. Who is generally in good humor?
(c) The Princess.
14. What ashamed Mary about Matthew?
(a) His drunken rages.
(b) The way he eyed other women.
(c) The way he treated the servants.
(d) His desire to cross dress.
15. What does Mary make clear to Rowley?
(a) She is still grieving the death of her husband.
(b) He is an interesting man and she might go out with him.
(c) Her divorce is not yet final.
(d) She is not interested in him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rowley propose to Mary?
2. What city can Mary see from the terrace of the villa?
3. About what did Mary and Matthew fight?
4. Who is Princess San Ferdinanado?
5. Why is Rowley Flint invited to the party?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)