|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Rowley Flint invited to the party?
(a) To even out the attendance after Edgar gave his regrets.
(b) As a balance to the Princess's husband's taciturn nature.
(c) Because he just arrived in Florence and is a childhood friend of the Princess.
(d) As a possible suitor for Mary.
2. Who is Nina?
(a) Mary's servant woman.
(b) Mary's mother.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) Mary's sister.
3. In what century is the Tuscan villa built?
4. What does the Princess ask of Mary?
(a) To stay at her house that night rather than risk the long drive home.
(b) To give Rowley a ride to his motel.
(c) To visit her the next day.
(d) To show Mary her paintings sometime.
5. When did Matthew change?
(a) When his brother is killed.
(b) When his father disinherited him.
(c) When he was drinking.
(d) When his sister dies.
6. What does Mary do with a hundred lira note?
(a) Tip the violinist.
(b) Tip the valet.
(c) Leaves it in the ladies' room for the washerwoman.
(d) Ask Rowley to get her a cab as she is too tipsy to drive.
7. What does Rowley ask Mary?
(a) Why she wants to marry Edgar so badly.
(b) If she plans to marry Edgar.
(c) If she plans to go ahead with her plans to return to England.
(d) If she wants to travel with him to the United States.
8. What does Mary say she would give Rowley if she could?
(a) A unique gift.
(c) A suitable wife.
(d) An introduction to her sister.
9. Why is Edgar visiting?
(a) He has an appointment in Cannes and so is nearby.
(b) He wants to buy the villa where she is staying.
(c) He is a contractor who will be doing the remodeling of her villa.
(d) He needs to ask Mary's advice about her sister.
10. Why does Rowley propose to Mary?
(a) He needs a wife.
(b) He has loved her from afar for several years.
(c) He is a little drunk.
(d) He feels tender towards her.
11. What does Mary decide to give Karl as a gift?
(a) A possible job with her father.
(b) A sexual encounter.
(c) Money to pay his rent.
(d) An old violin that has been in her family.
12. What did Mary know about that Matthew tried to hide?
(a) That is inheritance was almost gone.
(b) His drinking in secret and affairs.
(c) That he had a gambling problem also.
(d) That he had syphillis.
13. What does Edgar ask Mary?
(a) To stay for a few days.
(b) To be his wife.
(c) If she knows the woman Edgar plans to marry.
(d) For Mary to travel with him back to England.
14. What does Edgar give Ciro?
(a) Instructions about the roses.
(d) Tickets to the opera.
15. Who is Edgar Swift?
(a) Her brother-in-law.
(b) Her second cousin.
(c) The tenant of a villa Mary wants to buy.
(d) A man for whom Mary is waiting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ashamed Mary about Matthew?
2. Of what nationality is Princess San Ferdinando?
3. Who owns the villa?
4. Why does Mary drive around the area?
5. What does Mary admit she came to feel?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)