|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Edgar Swift?
(a) A man for whom Mary is waiting.
(b) Her second cousin.
(c) The tenant of a villa Mary wants to buy.
(d) Her brother-in-law.
2. What does Mary encounter on her way home?
(a) A car accident.
(b) A beautiful Persian cat.
(c) The violinist.
(d) A stray dog.
3. What does Mary say when the Princess points out what a good catch Edgar would be?
(a) That Edgar is unlikely to ask Mary to be his wife because of their great age difference.
(b) The woman Edgar has asked to marry him is very lucky.
(c) That Edgar is like an older brother to Mary.
(d) The Princess should consider him.
4. Of what is Rowley concerned?
(a) That Mary will marry and be unhappy.
(b) That Mary will be alright getting home.
(c) That Mary will tell someone how nice Rowley really is.
(d) That Mary will never consider marriage again after her first experience.
5. Why does Mary drive around the area?
(a) To see the sights.
(b) To show her sister around the area.
(c) To search for an old friend's home.
(d) To search for a villa her family owned when she was a child.
6. What does Mary extol?
(a) Her father's virtues.
(b) Her father's architectural abilities.
(c) Matthew's final days.
(d) Edgar's virtues.
7. At what has Edgar proven himself?
8. How does Mary respond to Edgar's question?
(a) She does not know the woman who Edgar plans to marry.
(b) She says she is not comfortable with his staying at the villa since she is alone.
(c) She says she is not ready to return to England.
(d) She asks for a few days to consider it.
9. What does Mary ask Rowley to hand her from her purse?
(a) A handkerchief.
(c) A gas card.
(d) A pen and paper.
10. In what century is the Tuscan villa built?
11. What does Edgar ask Mary?
(a) To be his wife.
(b) For Mary to travel with him back to England.
(c) If she knows the woman Edgar plans to marry.
(d) To stay for a few days.
12. Of what is Colonel Trail very complimentary?
(a) Mary's deceased husband.
(b) The Princess's gown.
(c) Edgar's recent appointment.
(d) Mary's deceased father.
13. Why does Mary have second thoughts about attending the party?
(a) Her sister arrives the next day and the house needs cleaning.
(b) Her mother wants her to come to Rome right away.
(c) Edgar is not there to escort her.
(d) She knows no one at the party.
14. Who owns the villa?
(a) Mary Panton.
(b) The Leonards.
(c) Lord Seafair.
(d) Edgar Swift.
15. About what do Mary and Rowley speak at length?
(a) Rowley's new business venture in Tuscany.
(b) Mary and Edgar and Mary's situation.
(c) Mary's father's architectural designs.
(d) Rowley's home in the United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary say she would give Rowley if she could?
2. Who is Princess San Ferdinanado?
3. Why does the Princess ask for the dismissal of the violinist?
4. What does Rowley ask Mary?
5. What did Mary's mother point out to Mary when Mary was 19?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)