|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rowley believe about Mary as far as Edgar is concerned?
(a) That they are perfectly suited to each other.
(b) That Edgar is not in love with Mary.
(c) That Mary is not in love with him.
(d) That Edgar is too staid for Mary.
2. What does Edgar ask Mary?
(a) For Mary to travel with him back to England.
(b) If she knows the woman Edgar plans to marry.
(c) To be his wife.
(d) To stay for a few days.
3. What does Nina remind Mary to do?
(a) Carry her pistol.
(b) Call her sister back.
(c) Have the car filled with petrol.
(d) Apply rouge and eye liner.
4. What did Mary's mother point out to Mary when Mary was 19?
(a) That Edgar is a scoundrel.
(b) That Edgar is in love with her.
(c) That Edgar would be an advantageous catch.
(d) That Edgar was too old for Mary and to stop flirting.
5. What is Mary doing at the opening of chapter 2?
(b) Talking with her mother on the phone.
(c) Getting ready to go to the party.
(d) Digging in the rosebushes.
6. For what is the Princess known?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her caustic remarks.
(c) Her generosity.
(d) Her wealth.
7. Why is Edgar visiting?
(a) He is a contractor who will be doing the remodeling of her villa.
(b) He wants to buy the villa where she is staying.
(c) He has an appointment in Cannes and so is nearby.
(d) He needs to ask Mary's advice about her sister.
8. How does Mary describe how Matthew was at first?
(a) Charming and fun.
(b) Polite and reserved.
(c) Quiet and studious.
(d) Zestful and overly-boisterous.
9. What is Mary's reply?
(a) She isn't over Matthew yet.
(b) She would consider it.
(c) She is not in love with him.
(d) She does not want to live in the United States.
10. What does Mary do on the way home?
(a) Decides to disappear.
(b) Stop to enjoy the view.
(d) Decides she will accept Edgar's proposal.
11. Where does Rowley suggest Mary and he go that night?
(a) For a ride in the country.
(b) To a late-night cafe for coffee alone.
(c) To her villa.
(d) To his motel room.
12. Who prompts Nina to remind Mary?
(d) No one.
13. How does Mary respond to Edgar's question?
(a) She says she is not ready to return to England.
(b) She does not know the woman who Edgar plans to marry.
(c) She says she is not comfortable with his staying at the villa since she is alone.
(d) She asks for a few days to consider it.
14. Why does Mary drive around the area?
(a) To see the sights.
(b) To search for an old friend's home.
(c) To search for a villa her family owned when she was a child.
(d) To show her sister around the area.
15. At what has Edgar proven himself?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary admit she came to feel?
2. Why is Rowley Flint invited to the party?
3. What does Rowley find in her purse?
4. What does Rowley ask Mary?
5. Who is Nina?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)