|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the amount most people give the entertainer?
(a) He was such a poor musician, most only give him a lira or two.
(b) At least fifty lira.
(c) Nothing; he is paid by the hostess.
(d) Five or ten lira.
2. Of what is Rowley concerned?
(a) That Mary will marry and be unhappy.
(b) That Mary will be alright getting home.
(c) That Mary will never consider marriage again after her first experience.
(d) That Mary will tell someone how nice Rowley really is.
3. What does Nina remind Mary to do?
(a) Call her sister back.
(b) Carry her pistol.
(c) Have the car filled with petrol.
(d) Apply rouge and eye liner.
4. Where is the party Mary is attending that night to be held?
(a) At Princess San Ferdinando's home.
(b) A restaurant on the banks of the Arno river.
(c) In a converted opera house.
(d) In open pavilions on the estate of a Baron Mary does not know.
5. Who is Edgar Swift?
(a) Her brother-in-law.
(b) The tenant of a villa Mary wants to buy.
(c) A man for whom Mary is waiting.
(d) Her second cousin.
6. About what do Mary and Rowley speak at length?
(a) Mary's father's architectural designs.
(b) Rowley's home in the United States.
(c) Mary and Edgar and Mary's situation.
(d) Rowley's new business venture in Tuscany.
7. What does Mary say she would give Rowley if she could?
(a) An introduction to her sister.
(c) A unique gift.
(d) A suitable wife.
8. What does Mary learn from her lawyer?
(a) Her husband squandered all his money.
(b) Her grandfather left her a large estate.
(c) Her husband wants a divorce.
(d) Her father left her a large estate.
9. When did Matthew change?
(a) When his brother is killed.
(b) When his father disinherited him.
(c) When he was drinking.
(d) When his sister dies.
10. What does Mary make Karl?
(a) Bacon and eggs.
(c) French toast and eggs.
(d) A drink.
11. Why does Mary think the tip she leaves will mean a great deal?
(a) She does not really think about it.
(b) The person will not expect it.
(c) She noticed how shabby the person's shoes are.
(d) It is done in generosity rather than condescension.
12. What does Edgar give Ciro?
(b) Instructions about the roses.
(c) Tickets to the opera.
13. Who is Princess San Ferdinanado?
(a) The Princess of Tuscany who is a recent widow.
(b) A woman who holds grand parties to which Mary has never been invited.
(c) Mary's childhood friend.
(d) A woman who is hostessing a party that evening.
14. What does Mary encounter on her way home?
(a) A car accident.
(b) A beautiful Persian cat.
(c) A stray dog.
(d) The violinist.
15. What does Mary say when the Princess points out what a good catch Edgar would be?
(a) That Edgar is like an older brother to Mary.
(b) That Edgar is unlikely to ask Mary to be his wife because of their great age difference.
(c) The Princess should consider him.
(d) The woman Edgar has asked to marry him is very lucky.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Karl Richter take the job at the restaurant as a violinist?
2. What does the Princess ask of Mary?
3. Who is Ciro?
4. At what has Edgar proven himself?
5. For what is the Princess known?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)