|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary admit she came to feel?
(a) Extreme pity for Matthew.
(b) Nothing for Matthew.
(c) Horrific anger at Matthew.
(d) Despise for Matthew.
2. What does Karl say he would like to do that night?
(a) Swim in the Arno River.
(b) Rescue his family in Nazi Germany.
(c) Die since he will never have a better night.
(d) Move to America.
3. Why couldn't Mary end the marriage?
(a) She was paid by Matthew's parents to stay.
(b) She thought he would change eventually.
(c) She was embarrassed.
(d) Matthew was so dependent on her.
4. Who is generally in good humor?
(b) The Princess.
5. How did Mary feel about Matthew?
(a) Completely head over heels in love.
(c) Pressured to marry him.
6. From what does Mary try to save Matthew?
(a) His drinking.
(b) His depression.
(c) His protective mother.
(d) The creditors.
7. What does Mary think about on the way to the party?
(a) Edgar's question.
(b) How to maximize the little money she has remaining.
(c) Her mother's vague allusions to health issues.
(d) Her sister's pending divorce.
8. What position does Mary believe Edgar might be offered?
(a) A position with the government.
(b) A position with the largest architectural firm in Italy.
(c) She doesn't believe he will receive an offer.
(d) A position with her father's conglomerate.
9. Why does Rowley propose to Mary?
(a) He has loved her from afar for several years.
(b) He needs a wife.
(c) He feels tender towards her.
(d) He is a little drunk.
10. What does Mary ask Rowley to hand her from her purse?
(a) A pen and paper.
(c) A handkerchief.
(d) A gas card.
11. What did Mary know about that Matthew tried to hide?
(a) That he had a gambling problem also.
(b) That he had syphillis.
(c) That is inheritance was almost gone.
(d) His drinking in secret and affairs.
12. Who is Nina?
(a) Mary's mother.
(b) Mary's servant woman.
(c) Mary's sister.
(d) A neighbor.
13. What is the amount most people give the entertainer?
(a) Nothing; he is paid by the hostess.
(b) Five or ten lira.
(c) At least fifty lira.
(d) He was such a poor musician, most only give him a lira or two.
14. About what did Mary and Matthew fight?
(a) His drinking.
(b) His long absences.
(c) Nothing much.
15. What does Mary wish she had done?
(a) Stayed home to think about marriage.
(b) Stayed home and packed to go to her mother.
(c) Stayed home so she did not have to be cheerful.
(d) Called her sister and canceled the visit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary encounter on her way home?
2. For what is the Princess known?
3. What does Mary learn from her lawyer?
4. Where is the party Mary is attending that night to be held?
5. Why does Mary say about Matthew Panton?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)