|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what is the Princess known?
(a) Her wealth.
(b) Her generosity.
(c) Her caustic remarks.
(d) Her beauty.
2. What did Mary's mother point out to Mary when Mary was 19?
(a) That Edgar was too old for Mary and to stop flirting.
(b) That Edgar is a scoundrel.
(c) That Edgar is in love with her.
(d) That Edgar would be an advantageous catch.
3. What does Mary say she would give Rowley if she could?
(a) A suitable wife.
(b) A unique gift.
(c) An introduction to her sister.
4. What does Mary learn from her lawyer?
(a) Her father left her a large estate.
(b) Her husband squandered all his money.
(c) Her grandfather left her a large estate.
(d) Her husband wants a divorce.
5. What is Rowley's parting shot at Mary?
(a) About his ability to keep her out of the poorhouse.
(b) That he hopes she does not use the gun on Edgar.
(c) About her strangely unromantic attitude.
(d) About marriage with Edgar.
6. What does Rowley say about his reputation?
(a) That it is greatly exaggerated.
(b) That he'd be a fool not to enjoy life.
(c) That it is misplaced.
(d) That it is true but he is willing to change.
7. Of what nationality is Princess San Ferdinando?
8. What does Rowley say to Mary?
(a) He is offended by her English snobbery.
(b) He suggests she stay in Florence for the night since it's so late.
(c) He knew Mary's deceased husband quite well.
(d) He compliments her on her good looks.
9. From what does Mary try to save Matthew?
(a) His protective mother.
(b) His depression.
(c) The creditors.
(d) His drinking.
10. What does Edgar want Mary to carry with her to Florence?
(a) A note for the Princess.
(b) A bottle of vintage win for an old friend.
(c) A bottle of vintage wine for the Princess.
(d) A gun for protection.
11. Why does Karl Richter take the job at the restaurant as a violinist?
(a) He loves music.
(b) He hopes to make connections.
(c) His landlady needs the money.
(d) He has no place to live.
12. Why is Edgar visiting?
(a) He wants to buy the villa where she is staying.
(b) He needs to ask Mary's advice about her sister.
(c) He is a contractor who will be doing the remodeling of her villa.
(d) He has an appointment in Cannes and so is nearby.
13. When did Matthew change?
(a) When his brother is killed.
(b) When his sister dies.
(c) When his father disinherited him.
(d) When he was drinking.
14. What is Mary doing at the opening of chapter 2?
(a) Getting ready to go to the party.
(c) Digging in the rosebushes.
(d) Talking with her mother on the phone.
15. Of what is Rowley concerned?
(a) That Mary will marry and be unhappy.
(b) That Mary will be alright getting home.
(c) That Mary will never consider marriage again after her first experience.
(d) That Mary will tell someone how nice Rowley really is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary make clear to Rowley?
2. What does Mary do with a hundred lira note?
3. Of what is Colonel Trail very complimentary?
4. What does Mary say when the Princess points out what a good catch Edgar would be?
5. Why is Mary Panton at the villa?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)