|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rowley propose to Mary?
(a) He is a little drunk.
(b) He needs a wife.
(c) He feels tender towards her.
(d) He has loved her from afar for several years.
2. What does Mary say she would give Rowley if she could?
(a) An introduction to her sister.
(c) A unique gift.
(d) A suitable wife.
3. Why is Rowley Flint invited to the party?
(a) As a balance to the Princess's husband's taciturn nature.
(b) Because he just arrived in Florence and is a childhood friend of the Princess.
(c) To even out the attendance after Edgar gave his regrets.
(d) As a possible suitor for Mary.
4. From what does Mary try to save Matthew?
(a) His drinking.
(b) The creditors.
(c) His protective mother.
(d) His depression.
5. In what century is the Tuscan villa built?
6. What does Mary do with a hundred lira note?
(a) Tip the valet.
(b) Ask Rowley to get her a cab as she is too tipsy to drive.
(c) Tip the violinist.
(d) Leaves it in the ladies' room for the washerwoman.
7. What does Mary make Karl?
(a) Bacon and eggs.
(c) A drink.
(d) French toast and eggs.
8. How does Mary describe how Matthew was at first?
(a) Polite and reserved.
(b) Zestful and overly-boisterous.
(c) Charming and fun.
(d) Quiet and studious.
9. What is Mary's reply?
(a) She does not want to live in the United States.
(b) She is not in love with him.
(c) She would consider it.
(d) She isn't over Matthew yet.
10. What does Rowley say about his reputation?
(a) That he'd be a fool not to enjoy life.
(b) That it is true but he is willing to change.
(c) That it is greatly exaggerated.
(d) That it is misplaced.
11. Of what is Rowley concerned?
(a) That Mary will tell someone how nice Rowley really is.
(b) That Mary will never consider marriage again after her first experience.
(c) That Mary will marry and be unhappy.
(d) That Mary will be alright getting home.
12. What does Mary admit she came to feel?
(a) Extreme pity for Matthew.
(b) Despise for Matthew.
(c) Horrific anger at Matthew.
(d) Nothing for Matthew.
13. What does Edgar give Ciro?
(c) Instructions about the roses.
(d) Tickets to the opera.
14. What does Mary learn when Edgar arrives?
(a) He has been knighted.
(b) He is dying.
(c) He's been offered a position as governor of Bengal.
(d) He is getting married to someone else.
15. Who owns the villa?
(a) Edgar Swift.
(b) The Leonards.
(c) Mary Panton.
(d) Lord Seafair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Princess ask for the dismissal of the violinist?
2. What city can Mary see from the terrace of the villa?
3. What does Karl say he would like to do that night?
4. Why couldn't Mary end the marriage?
5. Who is generally in good humor?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)