|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karl say he would like to do that night?
(a) Swim in the Arno River.
(b) Die since he will never have a better night.
(c) Move to America.
(d) Rescue his family in Nazi Germany.
2. Why does Mary say about Matthew Panton?
(a) He was misguided.
(b) She should not have married him.
(c) He was a good man.
(d) She had never been in love with him.
3. What ashamed Mary about Matthew?
(a) The way he treated the servants.
(b) The way he eyed other women.
(c) His drunken rages.
(d) His desire to cross dress.
4. Who is Princess San Ferdinanado?
(a) A woman who is hostessing a party that evening.
(b) A woman who holds grand parties to which Mary has never been invited.
(c) Mary's childhood friend.
(d) The Princess of Tuscany who is a recent widow.
5. Who prompts Nina to remind Mary?
(b) No one.
6. For what is the Princess known?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her caustic remarks.
(c) Her wealth.
(d) Her generosity.
7. What does Mary make clear to Rowley?
(a) She is not interested in him.
(b) Her divorce is not yet final.
(c) She is still grieving the death of her husband.
(d) He is an interesting man and she might go out with him.
8. Who owns the villa?
(a) Edgar Swift.
(b) Lord Seafair.
(c) Mary Panton.
(d) The Leonards.
9. What city can Mary see from the terrace of the villa?
10. What does Edgar give Ciro?
(a) Instructions about the roses.
(c) Tickets to the opera.
11. Who is Edgar Swift?
(a) The tenant of a villa Mary wants to buy.
(b) Her second cousin.
(c) Her brother-in-law.
(d) A man for whom Mary is waiting.
12. What does Mary think about on the way to the party?
(a) How to maximize the little money she has remaining.
(b) Her sister's pending divorce.
(c) Edgar's question.
(d) Her mother's vague allusions to health issues.
13. What does Karl point out to Mary as they are driving to her villa?
(a) The lights of Florence.
(b) The full moon.
(c) A shabby house where he lives.
(d) The lights of Cannes.
14. Of what is Colonel Trail very complimentary?
(a) Edgar's recent appointment.
(b) Mary's deceased father.
(c) The Princess's gown.
(d) Mary's deceased husband.
15. What is the amount most people give the entertainer?
(a) At least fifty lira.
(b) Nothing; he is paid by the hostess.
(c) Five or ten lira.
(d) He was such a poor musician, most only give him a lira or two.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary extol?
2. What does Mary admit she came to feel?
3. Why couldn't Mary end the marriage?
4. Why is Mary Panton at the villa?
5. What position does Mary believe Edgar might be offered?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)