|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Edgar give Ciro?
(a) Instructions about the roses.
(d) Tickets to the opera.
2. What does Rowley find in her purse?
(a) A suicide note.
(b) A blackmail note.
(c) A picture of Matthew.
(d) The gun.
3. What does Mary extol?
(a) Edgar's virtues.
(b) Her father's virtues.
(c) Her father's architectural abilities.
(d) Matthew's final days.
4. What does Mary make Karl?
(a) French toast and eggs.
(b) Bacon and eggs.
(c) A drink.
5. Who is Edgar Swift?
(a) The tenant of a villa Mary wants to buy.
(b) Her brother-in-law.
(c) Her second cousin.
(d) A man for whom Mary is waiting.
6. What does Rowley ask Mary?
(a) Why she wants to marry Edgar so badly.
(b) If she plans to go ahead with her plans to return to England.
(c) If she plans to marry Edgar.
(d) If she wants to travel with him to the United States.
7. What position does Mary believe Edgar might be offered?
(a) A position with her father's conglomerate.
(b) A position with the government.
(c) She doesn't believe he will receive an offer.
(d) A position with the largest architectural firm in Italy.
8. Why is Mary Panton at the villa?
(a) To visit her sister and her husband who rent the villa.
(b) For recuperation from emotional trauma.
(c) To meet with her husband who has been conducting business nearby.
(d) To oversee its remodeling.
9. What does Edgar want Mary to carry with her to Florence?
(a) A bottle of vintage win for an old friend.
(b) A gun for protection.
(c) A bottle of vintage wine for the Princess.
(d) A note for the Princess.
10. What did Mary's mother point out to Mary when Mary was 19?
(a) That Edgar was too old for Mary and to stop flirting.
(b) That Edgar is in love with her.
(c) That Edgar would be an advantageous catch.
(d) That Edgar is a scoundrel.
11. What does Mary wish she had done?
(a) Stayed home to think about marriage.
(b) Called her sister and canceled the visit.
(c) Stayed home so she did not have to be cheerful.
(d) Stayed home and packed to go to her mother.
12. About what did Mary and Matthew fight?
(b) His drinking.
(c) His long absences.
(d) Nothing much.
13. Why does the Princess ask for the dismissal of the violinist?
(a) He refuses to play any requests.
(b) He insults the Princess.
(c) He flirts outrageously with all the women.
(d) He performs poorly.
14. Why is Rowley Flint invited to the party?
(a) As a possible suitor for Mary.
(b) Because he just arrived in Florence and is a childhood friend of the Princess.
(c) As a balance to the Princess's husband's taciturn nature.
(d) To even out the attendance after Edgar gave his regrets.
15. What is the amount most people give the entertainer?
(a) He was such a poor musician, most only give him a lira or two.
(b) Nothing; he is paid by the hostess.
(c) Five or ten lira.
(d) At least fifty lira.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edgar ask Mary?
2. Why is Edgar visiting?
3. How does Mary describe how Matthew was at first?
4. Why does Mary think the tip she leaves will mean a great deal?
5. About what do Mary and Rowley speak at length?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)