|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary encounter on her way home?
(a) The violinist.
(b) A car accident.
(c) A beautiful Persian cat.
(d) A stray dog.
2. How does Mary respond to Edgar's question?
(a) She says she is not comfortable with his staying at the villa since she is alone.
(b) She says she is not ready to return to England.
(c) She asks for a few days to consider it.
(d) She does not know the woman who Edgar plans to marry.
3. Who is generally in good humor?
(a) The Princess.
4. From what does Mary try to save Matthew?
(a) His protective mother.
(b) The creditors.
(c) His drinking.
(d) His depression.
5. Where is the party Mary is attending that night to be held?
(a) In a converted opera house.
(b) In open pavilions on the estate of a Baron Mary does not know.
(c) A restaurant on the banks of the Arno river.
(d) At Princess San Ferdinando's home.
6. In what century is the Tuscan villa built?
7. What does Edgar give Ciro?
(a) Instructions about the roses.
(d) Tickets to the opera.
8. What does Mary say she would give Rowley if she could?
(b) An introduction to her sister.
(c) A unique gift.
(d) A suitable wife.
9. For what is the Princess known?
(a) Her wealth.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) Her caustic remarks.
(d) Her generosity.
10. Who is Nina?
(a) Mary's sister.
(b) Mary's mother.
(c) Mary's servant woman.
(d) A neighbor.
11. Who is Edgar Swift?
(a) Her brother-in-law.
(b) A man for whom Mary is waiting.
(c) Her second cousin.
(d) The tenant of a villa Mary wants to buy.
12. Why does Mary say about Matthew Panton?
(a) She should not have married him.
(b) She had never been in love with him.
(c) He was a good man.
(d) He was misguided.
13. Why is Mary Panton at the villa?
(a) To visit her sister and her husband who rent the villa.
(b) To meet with her husband who has been conducting business nearby.
(c) To oversee its remodeling.
(d) For recuperation from emotional trauma.
14. What happens as the party is about to end?
(a) The Princess becomes ill.
(b) A plate to tip the violinist is sent around.
(c) Mary faints.
(d) A man barges in and creates a scene.
15. What is Mary's reply?
(a) She is not in love with him.
(b) She would consider it.
(c) She does not want to live in the United States.
(d) She isn't over Matthew yet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Rowley concerned?
2. What did Mary know about that Matthew tried to hide?
3. Why does the Princess ask for the dismissal of the violinist?
4. What does Mary learn when Edgar arrives?
5. What does Karl point out to Mary as they are driving to her villa?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)