|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why couldn't Mary end the marriage?
(a) She was embarrassed.
(b) Matthew was so dependent on her.
(c) She was paid by Matthew's parents to stay.
(d) She thought he would change eventually.
2. What does Edgar want Mary to carry with her to Florence?
(a) A gun for protection.
(b) A bottle of vintage wine for the Princess.
(c) A bottle of vintage win for an old friend.
(d) A note for the Princess.
3. Why does Mary say about Matthew Panton?
(a) He was a good man.
(b) He was misguided.
(c) She had never been in love with him.
(d) She should not have married him.
4. What does Mary ask Rowley to hand her from her purse?
(a) A pen and paper.
(b) A handkerchief.
(c) A gas card.
5. Who is generally in good humor?
(d) The Princess.
6. Who is Princess San Ferdinanado?
(a) A woman who holds grand parties to which Mary has never been invited.
(b) A woman who is hostessing a party that evening.
(c) The Princess of Tuscany who is a recent widow.
(d) Mary's childhood friend.
7. What does Rowley say to Mary?
(a) He is offended by her English snobbery.
(b) He compliments her on her good looks.
(c) He suggests she stay in Florence for the night since it's so late.
(d) He knew Mary's deceased husband quite well.
8. Who is Edgar Swift?
(a) Her brother-in-law.
(b) The tenant of a villa Mary wants to buy.
(c) A man for whom Mary is waiting.
(d) Her second cousin.
9. Of what is Rowley concerned?
(a) That Mary will never consider marriage again after her first experience.
(b) That Mary will tell someone how nice Rowley really is.
(c) That Mary will marry and be unhappy.
(d) That Mary will be alright getting home.
10. Why is Mary Panton at the villa?
(a) For recuperation from emotional trauma.
(b) To meet with her husband who has been conducting business nearby.
(c) To oversee its remodeling.
(d) To visit her sister and her husband who rent the villa.
11. Who advised Mary not to marry Matthew?
(a) No one.
(b) Matthew's mother.
(c) Only Matthew's brother.
(d) Many people.
12. What does Rowley believe about Mary as far as Edgar is concerned?
(a) That they are perfectly suited to each other.
(b) That Edgar is too staid for Mary.
(c) That Edgar is not in love with Mary.
(d) That Mary is not in love with him.
13. What ashamed Mary about Matthew?
(a) His drunken rages.
(b) The way he eyed other women.
(c) His desire to cross dress.
(d) The way he treated the servants.
14. What does Mary extol?
(a) Matthew's final days.
(b) Edgar's virtues.
(c) Her father's architectural abilities.
(d) Her father's virtues.
15. Why is Edgar visiting?
(a) He is a contractor who will be doing the remodeling of her villa.
(b) He wants to buy the villa where she is staying.
(c) He needs to ask Mary's advice about her sister.
(d) He has an appointment in Cannes and so is nearby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rowley ask Mary?
2. In what century is the Tuscan villa built?
3. What does Mary say when the Princess points out what a good catch Edgar would be?
4. Who is Nina?
5. Why does Karl Richter take the job at the restaurant as a violinist?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)