|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what did Mary and Matthew fight?
(a) His long absences.
(c) Nothing much.
(d) His drinking.
2. What does Rowley ask Mary?
(a) If she wants to travel with him to the United States.
(b) Why she wants to marry Edgar so badly.
(c) If she plans to go ahead with her plans to return to England.
(d) If she plans to marry Edgar.
3. Who is generally in good humor?
(c) The Princess.
4. For what is the Princess known?
(a) Her generosity.
(b) Her wealth.
(c) Her beauty.
(d) Her caustic remarks.
5. Who is Nina?
(a) Mary's servant woman.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) Mary's mother.
(d) Mary's sister.
6. What does Mary extol?
(a) Matthew's final days.
(b) Her father's architectural abilities.
(c) Edgar's virtues.
(d) Her father's virtues.
7. What city can Mary see from the terrace of the villa?
8. What does Mary decide to give Karl as a gift?
(a) An old violin that has been in her family.
(b) A possible job with her father.
(c) Money to pay his rent.
(d) A sexual encounter.
9. About what do Mary and Rowley speak at length?
(a) Mary and Edgar and Mary's situation.
(b) Rowley's new business venture in Tuscany.
(c) Rowley's home in the United States.
(d) Mary's father's architectural designs.
10. What does Mary learn when Edgar arrives?
(a) He's been offered a position as governor of Bengal.
(b) He is getting married to someone else.
(c) He has been knighted.
(d) He is dying.
11. Who owns the villa?
(a) Mary Panton.
(b) The Leonards.
(c) Lord Seafair.
(d) Edgar Swift.
12. Who is Ciro?
(a) Mary's manservant.
(b) The neighbor.
(c) Mary's gardener.
(d) Edgar's driver.
13. What does Mary wish she had done?
(a) Stayed home to think about marriage.
(b) Called her sister and canceled the visit.
(c) Stayed home so she did not have to be cheerful.
(d) Stayed home and packed to go to her mother.
14. What does Mary ask Rowley to hand her from her purse?
(a) A pen and paper.
(b) A handkerchief.
(c) A gas card.
15. Why does Mary say about Matthew Panton?
(a) He was a good man.
(b) She had never been in love with him.
(c) He was misguided.
(d) She should not have married him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens as the party is about to end?
2. What does Mary learn from her lawyer?
3. Why does Karl Richter take the job at the restaurant as a violinist?
4. Why does Mary drive around the area?
5. Who prompts Nina to remind Mary?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)