|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary do with a hundred lira note?
(a) Leaves it in the ladies' room for the washerwoman.
(b) Tip the valet.
(c) Tip the violinist.
(d) Ask Rowley to get her a cab as she is too tipsy to drive.
2. What does Rowley say about his reputation?
(a) That it is misplaced.
(b) That he'd be a fool not to enjoy life.
(c) That it is true but he is willing to change.
(d) That it is greatly exaggerated.
3. What does Mary ask Rowley to hand her from her purse?
(a) A gas card.
(c) A pen and paper.
(d) A handkerchief.
4. What ashamed Mary about Matthew?
(a) The way he treated the servants.
(b) His drunken rages.
(c) The way he eyed other women.
(d) His desire to cross dress.
5. Why does Mary have second thoughts about attending the party?
(a) Her mother wants her to come to Rome right away.
(b) Her sister arrives the next day and the house needs cleaning.
(c) Edgar is not there to escort her.
(d) She knows no one at the party.
6. What does Karl say he would like to do that night?
(a) Move to America.
(b) Die since he will never have a better night.
(c) Swim in the Arno River.
(d) Rescue his family in Nazi Germany.
7. What does Mary admit she came to feel?
(a) Extreme pity for Matthew.
(b) Horrific anger at Matthew.
(c) Despise for Matthew.
(d) Nothing for Matthew.
8. From what does Mary try to save Matthew?
(a) His protective mother.
(b) The creditors.
(c) His depression.
(d) His drinking.
9. Of what nationality is Princess San Ferdinando?
10. How did Mary feel about Matthew?
(b) Pressured to marry him.
(d) Completely head over heels in love.
11. What does Mary make Karl?
(a) Bacon and eggs.
(b) French toast and eggs.
(c) A drink.
12. What does Nina remind Mary to do?
(a) Apply rouge and eye liner.
(b) Have the car filled with petrol.
(c) Call her sister back.
(d) Carry her pistol.
13. Who is Ciro?
(a) Edgar's driver.
(b) Mary's gardener.
(c) The neighbor.
(d) Mary's manservant.
14. What does Mary learn when Edgar arrives?
(a) He is dying.
(b) He has been knighted.
(c) He is getting married to someone else.
(d) He's been offered a position as governor of Bengal.
15. What does Mary wish she had done?
(a) Stayed home and packed to go to her mother.
(b) Called her sister and canceled the visit.
(c) Stayed home to think about marriage.
(d) Stayed home so she did not have to be cheerful.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what did Mary and Matthew fight?
2. Who advised Mary not to marry Matthew?
3. Who is generally in good humor?
4. What is Mary's reply?
5. For what is the Princess known?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)