|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what century is the Tuscan villa built?
2. At what has Edgar proven himself?
3. What does Mary think about on the way to the party?
(a) How to maximize the little money she has remaining.
(b) Her sister's pending divorce.
(c) Edgar's question.
(d) Her mother's vague allusions to health issues.
4. What does Mary do with a hundred lira note?
(a) Ask Rowley to get her a cab as she is too tipsy to drive.
(b) Tip the valet.
(c) Tip the violinist.
(d) Leaves it in the ladies' room for the washerwoman.
5. Why does the Princess ask for the dismissal of the violinist?
(a) He flirts outrageously with all the women.
(b) He refuses to play any requests.
(c) He performs poorly.
(d) He insults the Princess.
6. Why is Rowley Flint invited to the party?
(a) To even out the attendance after Edgar gave his regrets.
(b) Because he just arrived in Florence and is a childhood friend of the Princess.
(c) As a possible suitor for Mary.
(d) As a balance to the Princess's husband's taciturn nature.
7. What does Karl point out to Mary as they are driving to her villa?
(a) A shabby house where he lives.
(b) The lights of Cannes.
(c) The full moon.
(d) The lights of Florence.
8. What does the Princess ask of Mary?
(a) To visit her the next day.
(b) To show Mary her paintings sometime.
(c) To stay at her house that night rather than risk the long drive home.
(d) To give Rowley a ride to his motel.
9. What is the amount most people give the entertainer?
(a) At least fifty lira.
(b) Five or ten lira.
(c) He was such a poor musician, most only give him a lira or two.
(d) Nothing; he is paid by the hostess.
10. How does Mary describe how Matthew was at first?
(a) Quiet and studious.
(b) Zestful and overly-boisterous.
(c) Charming and fun.
(d) Polite and reserved.
11. Who prompts Nina to remind Mary?
(b) No one.
12. What does Mary decide to give Karl as a gift?
(a) Money to pay his rent.
(b) A sexual encounter.
(c) A possible job with her father.
(d) An old violin that has been in her family.
13. What does Mary do on the way home?
(b) Stop to enjoy the view.
(c) Decides she will accept Edgar's proposal.
(d) Decides to disappear.
14. What happens as the party is about to end?
(a) The Princess becomes ill.
(b) Mary faints.
(c) A man barges in and creates a scene.
(d) A plate to tip the violinist is sent around.
15. Why does Mary have second thoughts about attending the party?
(a) She knows no one at the party.
(b) Her mother wants her to come to Rome right away.
(c) Edgar is not there to escort her.
(d) Her sister arrives the next day and the house needs cleaning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary extol?
2. What does Mary admit she came to feel?
3. How did Mary feel about Matthew?
4. Of what is Colonel Trail very complimentary?
5. What does Rowley find in her purse?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)