|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what did Mary and Matthew fight?
(b) His long absences.
(c) Nothing much.
(d) His drinking.
2. Who is Nina?
(a) Mary's servant woman.
(b) Mary's mother.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) Mary's sister.
3. What is Rowley's parting shot at Mary?
(a) About her strangely unromantic attitude.
(b) About marriage with Edgar.
(c) That he hopes she does not use the gun on Edgar.
(d) About his ability to keep her out of the poorhouse.
4. What does Rowley say about his reputation?
(a) That he'd be a fool not to enjoy life.
(b) That it is misplaced.
(c) That it is greatly exaggerated.
(d) That it is true but he is willing to change.
5. What does Edgar want Mary to carry with her to Florence?
(a) A gun for protection.
(b) A bottle of vintage win for an old friend.
(c) A note for the Princess.
(d) A bottle of vintage wine for the Princess.
6. What does Mary decide to give Karl as a gift?
(a) Money to pay his rent.
(b) A sexual encounter.
(c) An old violin that has been in her family.
(d) A possible job with her father.
7. What position does Mary believe Edgar might be offered?
(a) A position with the largest architectural firm in Italy.
(b) A position with the government.
(c) A position with her father's conglomerate.
(d) She doesn't believe he will receive an offer.
8. What happens as the party is about to end?
(a) The Princess becomes ill.
(b) Mary faints.
(c) A man barges in and creates a scene.
(d) A plate to tip the violinist is sent around.
9. At what has Edgar proven himself?
10. What does Mary encounter on her way home?
(a) A stray dog.
(b) A car accident.
(c) A beautiful Persian cat.
(d) The violinist.
11. What is Mary's reply?
(a) She would consider it.
(b) She isn't over Matthew yet.
(c) She does not want to live in the United States.
(d) She is not in love with him.
12. Who advised Mary not to marry Matthew?
(a) Matthew's mother.
(b) Only Matthew's brother.
(c) No one.
(d) Many people.
13. How does Mary describe how Matthew was at first?
(a) Charming and fun.
(b) Quiet and studious.
(c) Zestful and overly-boisterous.
(d) Polite and reserved.
14. What does the Princess ask of Mary?
(a) To give Rowley a ride to his motel.
(b) To visit her the next day.
(c) To stay at her house that night rather than risk the long drive home.
(d) To show Mary her paintings sometime.
15. Why does Mary think the tip she leaves will mean a great deal?
(a) She does not really think about it.
(b) It is done in generosity rather than condescension.
(c) The person will not expect it.
(d) She noticed how shabby the person's shoes are.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mary respond to Edgar's question?
2. How did Mary feel about Matthew?
3. In what century is the Tuscan villa built?
4. What does Rowley say to Mary?
5. What does Mary do on the way home?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)