|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary do with a hundred lira note?
(a) Ask Rowley to get her a cab as she is too tipsy to drive.
(b) Tip the valet.
(c) Leaves it in the ladies' room for the washerwoman.
(d) Tip the violinist.
2. What city can Mary see from the terrace of the villa?
3. What does Mary encounter on her way home?
(a) The violinist.
(b) A stray dog.
(c) A beautiful Persian cat.
(d) A car accident.
4. Why couldn't Mary end the marriage?
(a) Matthew was so dependent on her.
(b) She thought he would change eventually.
(c) She was embarrassed.
(d) She was paid by Matthew's parents to stay.
5. What does Rowley ask Mary?
(a) If she plans to marry Edgar.
(b) Why she wants to marry Edgar so badly.
(c) If she wants to travel with him to the United States.
(d) If she plans to go ahead with her plans to return to England.
6. What does Karl point out to Mary as they are driving to her villa?
(a) The full moon.
(b) The lights of Florence.
(c) The lights of Cannes.
(d) A shabby house where he lives.
7. Of what is Colonel Trail very complimentary?
(a) Mary's deceased father.
(b) Edgar's recent appointment.
(c) Mary's deceased husband.
(d) The Princess's gown.
8. What does Mary do on the way home?
(a) Decides she will accept Edgar's proposal.
(b) Decides to disappear.
(c) Stop to enjoy the view.
9. In what century is the Tuscan villa built?
10. What does Rowley say to Mary?
(a) He suggests she stay in Florence for the night since it's so late.
(b) He knew Mary's deceased husband quite well.
(c) He is offended by her English snobbery.
(d) He compliments her on her good looks.
11. Who is Princess San Ferdinanado?
(a) A woman who is hostessing a party that evening.
(b) The Princess of Tuscany who is a recent widow.
(c) Mary's childhood friend.
(d) A woman who holds grand parties to which Mary has never been invited.
12. What does Rowley say about his reputation?
(a) That it is misplaced.
(b) That he'd be a fool not to enjoy life.
(c) That it is greatly exaggerated.
(d) That it is true but he is willing to change.
13. What does Edgar want Mary to carry with her to Florence?
(a) A bottle of vintage win for an old friend.
(b) A bottle of vintage wine for the Princess.
(c) A gun for protection.
(d) A note for the Princess.
14. What does Mary ask Rowley to hand her from her purse?
(a) A gas card.
(b) A pen and paper.
(c) A handkerchief.
15. What does Mary make Karl?
(b) Bacon and eggs.
(c) French toast and eggs.
(d) A drink.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mary's mother point out to Mary when Mary was 19?
2. Who advised Mary not to marry Matthew?
3. Why does Karl Richter take the job at the restaurant as a violinist?
4. What ashamed Mary about Matthew?
5. Who is generally in good humor?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)