|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who owns the villa?
(a) Lord Seafair.
(b) Edgar Swift.
(c) The Leonards.
(d) Mary Panton.
2. What does Rowley ask Mary?
(a) If she plans to marry Edgar.
(b) If she plans to go ahead with her plans to return to England.
(c) If she wants to travel with him to the United States.
(d) Why she wants to marry Edgar so badly.
3. What is Mary doing at the opening of chapter 2?
(b) Getting ready to go to the party.
(c) Digging in the rosebushes.
(d) Talking with her mother on the phone.
4. Why does Karl Richter take the job at the restaurant as a violinist?
(a) His landlady needs the money.
(b) He hopes to make connections.
(c) He has no place to live.
(d) He loves music.
5. Why couldn't Mary end the marriage?
(a) She was embarrassed.
(b) She was paid by Matthew's parents to stay.
(c) Matthew was so dependent on her.
(d) She thought he would change eventually.
6. Why does Mary have second thoughts about attending the party?
(a) Her mother wants her to come to Rome right away.
(b) Edgar is not there to escort her.
(c) Her sister arrives the next day and the house needs cleaning.
(d) She knows no one at the party.
7. Who is Nina?
(a) Mary's servant woman.
(b) Mary's mother.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) Mary's sister.
8. How did Mary feel about Matthew?
(a) Pressured to marry him.
(d) Completely head over heels in love.
9. For what is the Princess known?
(a) Her generosity.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) Her wealth.
(d) Her caustic remarks.
10. What does Mary make clear to Rowley?
(a) She is not interested in him.
(b) He is an interesting man and she might go out with him.
(c) She is still grieving the death of her husband.
(d) Her divorce is not yet final.
11. What position does Mary believe Edgar might be offered?
(a) A position with her father's conglomerate.
(b) She doesn't believe he will receive an offer.
(c) A position with the government.
(d) A position with the largest architectural firm in Italy.
12. At what has Edgar proven himself?
13. What did Mary know about that Matthew tried to hide?
(a) That he had syphillis.
(b) That he had a gambling problem also.
(c) That is inheritance was almost gone.
(d) His drinking in secret and affairs.
14. What does Edgar give Ciro?
(b) Instructions about the roses.
(d) Tickets to the opera.
15. Why does Mary drive around the area?
(a) To show her sister around the area.
(b) To search for an old friend's home.
(c) To see the sights.
(d) To search for a villa her family owned when she was a child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karl point out to Mary as they are driving to her villa?
2. Why is Mary Panton at the villa?
3. What does Mary make Karl?
4. What does Mary say she would give Rowley if she could?
5. What does the Princess ask of Mary?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)