|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary extol?
(a) Her father's architectural abilities.
(b) Her father's virtues.
(c) Edgar's virtues.
(d) Matthew's final days.
2. Where is the party Mary is attending that night to be held?
(a) At Princess San Ferdinando's home.
(b) In a converted opera house.
(c) A restaurant on the banks of the Arno river.
(d) In open pavilions on the estate of a Baron Mary does not know.
3. What does Mary learn from her lawyer?
(a) Her husband squandered all his money.
(b) Her father left her a large estate.
(c) Her grandfather left her a large estate.
(d) Her husband wants a divorce.
4. In what century is the Tuscan villa built?
5. Where does Rowley suggest Mary and he go that night?
(a) To a late-night cafe for coffee alone.
(b) For a ride in the country.
(c) To his motel room.
(d) To her villa.
6. What does Mary encounter on her way home?
(a) A beautiful Persian cat.
(b) A car accident.
(c) The violinist.
(d) A stray dog.
7. What does Mary decide to give Karl as a gift?
(a) Money to pay his rent.
(b) An old violin that has been in her family.
(c) A possible job with her father.
(d) A sexual encounter.
8. For what is the Princess known?
(a) Her generosity.
(b) Her caustic remarks.
(c) Her beauty.
(d) Her wealth.
9. What does Mary say she would give Rowley if she could?
(a) An introduction to her sister.
(c) A suitable wife.
(d) A unique gift.
10. What does Edgar ask Mary?
(a) If she knows the woman Edgar plans to marry.
(b) To be his wife.
(c) To stay for a few days.
(d) For Mary to travel with him back to England.
11. Why does the Princess ask for the dismissal of the violinist?
(a) He flirts outrageously with all the women.
(b) He refuses to play any requests.
(c) He insults the Princess.
(d) He performs poorly.
12. What is Mary's reply?
(a) She isn't over Matthew yet.
(b) She is not in love with him.
(c) She does not want to live in the United States.
(d) She would consider it.
13. What is Mary doing at the opening of chapter 2?
(b) Talking with her mother on the phone.
(c) Getting ready to go to the party.
(d) Digging in the rosebushes.
14. How did Mary feel about Matthew?
(a) Pressured to marry him.
(d) Completely head over heels in love.
15. Who is Edgar Swift?
(a) Her second cousin.
(b) Her brother-in-law.
(c) The tenant of a villa Mary wants to buy.
(d) A man for whom Mary is waiting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nina remind Mary to do?
2. Of what is Rowley concerned?
3. What city can Mary see from the terrace of the villa?
4. What does Mary make Karl?
5. What does Mary ask Rowley to hand her from her purse?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)