|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what is Rowley concerned?
(a) That Mary will marry and be unhappy.
(b) That Mary will tell someone how nice Rowley really is.
(c) That Mary will be alright getting home.
(d) That Mary will never consider marriage again after her first experience.
2. In what century is the Tuscan villa built?
3. Who is Ciro?
(a) Mary's gardener.
(b) Edgar's driver.
(c) The neighbor.
(d) Mary's manservant.
4. Who advised Mary not to marry Matthew?
(a) Matthew's mother.
(b) No one.
(c) Only Matthew's brother.
(d) Many people.
5. What did Mary know about that Matthew tried to hide?
(a) That he had a gambling problem also.
(b) His drinking in secret and affairs.
(c) That is inheritance was almost gone.
(d) That he had syphillis.
6. What does Mary learn from her lawyer?
(a) Her husband wants a divorce.
(b) Her grandfather left her a large estate.
(c) Her husband squandered all his money.
(d) Her father left her a large estate.
7. Who is Princess San Ferdinanado?
(a) The Princess of Tuscany who is a recent widow.
(b) A woman who holds grand parties to which Mary has never been invited.
(c) Mary's childhood friend.
(d) A woman who is hostessing a party that evening.
8. For what is the Princess known?
(a) Her generosity.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) Her wealth.
(d) Her caustic remarks.
9. Who is Edgar Swift?
(a) The tenant of a villa Mary wants to buy.
(b) Her second cousin.
(c) Her brother-in-law.
(d) A man for whom Mary is waiting.
10. What is Mary doing at the opening of chapter 2?
(b) Digging in the rosebushes.
(c) Talking with her mother on the phone.
(d) Getting ready to go to the party.
11. What does Mary say she would give Rowley if she could?
(b) A unique gift.
(c) A suitable wife.
(d) An introduction to her sister.
12. What is Mary's reply?
(a) She would consider it.
(b) She does not want to live in the United States.
(c) She isn't over Matthew yet.
(d) She is not in love with him.
13. Why does Karl Richter take the job at the restaurant as a violinist?
(a) He hopes to make connections.
(b) He has no place to live.
(c) He loves music.
(d) His landlady needs the money.
14. About what do Mary and Rowley speak at length?
(a) Mary's father's architectural designs.
(b) Mary and Edgar and Mary's situation.
(c) Rowley's new business venture in Tuscany.
(d) Rowley's home in the United States.
15. From what does Mary try to save Matthew?
(a) The creditors.
(b) His drinking.
(c) His depression.
(d) His protective mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what has Edgar proven himself?
2. What does Rowley ask Mary?
3. What does Mary think about on the way to the party?
4. What does Edgar give Ciro?
5. Why couldn't Mary end the marriage?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)