|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karl point out to Mary as they are driving to her villa?
(a) The lights of Cannes.
(b) The lights of Florence.
(c) The full moon.
(d) A shabby house where he lives.
2. What is Mary's reply?
(a) She does not want to live in the United States.
(b) She is not in love with him.
(c) She isn't over Matthew yet.
(d) She would consider it.
3. What does Mary admit she came to feel?
(a) Horrific anger at Matthew.
(b) Despise for Matthew.
(c) Extreme pity for Matthew.
(d) Nothing for Matthew.
4. Who is Princess San Ferdinanado?
(a) A woman who is hostessing a party that evening.
(b) A woman who holds grand parties to which Mary has never been invited.
(c) The Princess of Tuscany who is a recent widow.
(d) Mary's childhood friend.
5. Who is Nina?
(a) A neighbor.
(b) Mary's sister.
(c) Mary's servant woman.
(d) Mary's mother.
6. At what has Edgar proven himself?
7. What does Rowley ask Mary?
(a) Why she wants to marry Edgar so badly.
(b) If she plans to go ahead with her plans to return to England.
(c) If she plans to marry Edgar.
(d) If she wants to travel with him to the United States.
8. Why does the Princess ask for the dismissal of the violinist?
(a) He insults the Princess.
(b) He performs poorly.
(c) He refuses to play any requests.
(d) He flirts outrageously with all the women.
9. What does Edgar ask Mary?
(a) To be his wife.
(b) If she knows the woman Edgar plans to marry.
(c) To stay for a few days.
(d) For Mary to travel with him back to England.
10. Of what nationality is Princess San Ferdinando?
11. What does Mary encounter on her way home?
(a) The violinist.
(b) A stray dog.
(c) A car accident.
(d) A beautiful Persian cat.
12. What does Edgar want Mary to carry with her to Florence?
(a) A gun for protection.
(b) A bottle of vintage win for an old friend.
(c) A note for the Princess.
(d) A bottle of vintage wine for the Princess.
13. What does Edgar give Ciro?
(a) Tickets to the opera.
(b) Instructions about the roses.
14. What does Mary learn from her lawyer?
(a) Her father left her a large estate.
(b) Her husband wants a divorce.
(c) Her husband squandered all his money.
(d) Her grandfather left her a large estate.
15. What did Mary know about that Matthew tried to hide?
(a) That he had a gambling problem also.
(b) That he had syphillis.
(c) His drinking in secret and affairs.
(d) That is inheritance was almost gone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rowley say about his reputation?
2. What does Rowley say to Mary?
3. In what century is the Tuscan villa built?
4. What is the amount most people give the entertainer?
5. What is Mary doing at the opening of chapter 2?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)