|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Mary feel about Matthew?
(b) Completely head over heels in love.
(c) Pressured to marry him.
2. What does Karl point out to Mary as they are driving to her villa?
(a) The lights of Cannes.
(b) A shabby house where he lives.
(c) The lights of Florence.
(d) The full moon.
3. What does Mary extol?
(a) Matthew's final days.
(b) Edgar's virtues.
(c) Her father's virtues.
(d) Her father's architectural abilities.
4. Why couldn't Mary end the marriage?
(a) She thought he would change eventually.
(b) She was embarrassed.
(c) She was paid by Matthew's parents to stay.
(d) Matthew was so dependent on her.
5. For what is the Princess known?
(a) Her caustic remarks.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) Her generosity.
(d) Her wealth.
6. What does Rowley say about his reputation?
(a) That it is greatly exaggerated.
(b) That it is true but he is willing to change.
(c) That it is misplaced.
(d) That he'd be a fool not to enjoy life.
7. Why does Mary have second thoughts about attending the party?
(a) Her sister arrives the next day and the house needs cleaning.
(b) Edgar is not there to escort her.
(c) She knows no one at the party.
(d) Her mother wants her to come to Rome right away.
8. What does Mary say she would give Rowley if she could?
(a) An introduction to her sister.
(c) A unique gift.
(d) A suitable wife.
9. Why does Mary say about Matthew Panton?
(a) He was misguided.
(b) She should not have married him.
(c) She had never been in love with him.
(d) He was a good man.
10. Who is Ciro?
(a) The neighbor.
(b) Edgar's driver.
(c) Mary's manservant.
(d) Mary's gardener.
11. When did Matthew change?
(a) When his brother is killed.
(b) When he was drinking.
(c) When his sister dies.
(d) When his father disinherited him.
12. What does Mary wish she had done?
(a) Stayed home and packed to go to her mother.
(b) Called her sister and canceled the visit.
(c) Stayed home to think about marriage.
(d) Stayed home so she did not have to be cheerful.
13. What does Rowley say to Mary?
(a) He is offended by her English snobbery.
(b) He compliments her on her good looks.
(c) He suggests she stay in Florence for the night since it's so late.
(d) He knew Mary's deceased husband quite well.
14. In what century is the Tuscan villa built?
15. What does Rowley ask Mary?
(a) Why she wants to marry Edgar so badly.
(b) If she wants to travel with him to the United States.
(c) If she plans to marry Edgar.
(d) If she plans to go ahead with her plans to return to England.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rowley believe about Mary as far as Edgar is concerned?
2. From what does Mary try to save Matthew?
3. About what did Mary and Matthew fight?
4. What does Karl say he would like to do that night?
5. Where does Rowley suggest Mary and he go that night?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)