|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary wish she had done?
(a) Stayed home and packed to go to her mother.
(b) Stayed home so she did not have to be cheerful.
(c) Called her sister and canceled the visit.
(d) Stayed home to think about marriage.
2. Of what is Rowley concerned?
(a) That Mary will marry and be unhappy.
(b) That Mary will never consider marriage again after her first experience.
(c) That Mary will tell someone how nice Rowley really is.
(d) That Mary will be alright getting home.
3. What is Mary's reply?
(a) She does not want to live in the United States.
(b) She is not in love with him.
(c) She isn't over Matthew yet.
(d) She would consider it.
4. What does Mary think about on the way to the party?
(a) How to maximize the little money she has remaining.
(b) Her mother's vague allusions to health issues.
(c) Her sister's pending divorce.
(d) Edgar's question.
5. Of what nationality is Princess San Ferdinando?
6. What did Mary's mother point out to Mary when Mary was 19?
(a) That Edgar is a scoundrel.
(b) That Edgar was too old for Mary and to stop flirting.
(c) That Edgar is in love with her.
(d) That Edgar would be an advantageous catch.
7. Who prompts Nina to remind Mary?
(a) No one.
8. What does Mary do with a hundred lira note?
(a) Leaves it in the ladies' room for the washerwoman.
(b) Tip the valet.
(c) Tip the violinist.
(d) Ask Rowley to get her a cab as she is too tipsy to drive.
9. What is Mary doing at the opening of chapter 2?
(a) Digging in the rosebushes.
(b) Talking with her mother on the phone.
(d) Getting ready to go to the party.
10. Who owns the villa?
(a) Edgar Swift.
(b) Lord Seafair.
(c) Mary Panton.
(d) The Leonards.
11. Why couldn't Mary end the marriage?
(a) She thought he would change eventually.
(b) She was embarrassed.
(c) Matthew was so dependent on her.
(d) She was paid by Matthew's parents to stay.
12. What city can Mary see from the terrace of the villa?
13. Where does Rowley suggest Mary and he go that night?
(a) To his motel room.
(b) To her villa.
(c) To a late-night cafe for coffee alone.
(d) For a ride in the country.
14. When did Matthew change?
(a) When his father disinherited him.
(b) When his brother is killed.
(c) When his sister dies.
(d) When he was drinking.
15. Who is Ciro?
(a) Mary's gardener.
(b) The neighbor.
(c) Mary's manservant.
(d) Edgar's driver.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary have second thoughts about attending the party?
2. From what does Mary try to save Matthew?
3. How does Mary respond to Edgar's question?
4. What does Nina remind Mary to do?
5. What does Rowley say about his reputation?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)