|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary admit she came to feel?
(a) Despise for Matthew.
(b) Extreme pity for Matthew.
(c) Nothing for Matthew.
(d) Horrific anger at Matthew.
2. What does Karl say he would like to do that night?
(a) Move to America.
(b) Die since he will never have a better night.
(c) Swim in the Arno River.
(d) Rescue his family in Nazi Germany.
3. When did Matthew change?
(a) When he was drinking.
(b) When his sister dies.
(c) When his father disinherited him.
(d) When his brother is killed.
4. Who advised Mary not to marry Matthew?
(a) Matthew's mother.
(b) Only Matthew's brother.
(c) Many people.
(d) No one.
5. What is Mary's reply?
(a) She would consider it.
(b) She isn't over Matthew yet.
(c) She is not in love with him.
(d) She does not want to live in the United States.
6. What does Karl point out to Mary as they are driving to her villa?
(a) The full moon.
(b) The lights of Cannes.
(c) The lights of Florence.
(d) A shabby house where he lives.
7. What city can Mary see from the terrace of the villa?
8. Who is Ciro?
(a) Mary's gardener.
(b) Mary's manservant.
(c) Edgar's driver.
(d) The neighbor.
9. What does Rowley ask Mary?
(a) Why she wants to marry Edgar so badly.
(b) If she plans to marry Edgar.
(c) If she plans to go ahead with her plans to return to England.
(d) If she wants to travel with him to the United States.
10. What does Mary ask Rowley to hand her from her purse?
(a) A handkerchief.
(b) A pen and paper.
(c) A gas card.
11. What does Mary do with a hundred lira note?
(a) Leaves it in the ladies' room for the washerwoman.
(b) Tip the violinist.
(c) Ask Rowley to get her a cab as she is too tipsy to drive.
(d) Tip the valet.
12. Why couldn't Mary end the marriage?
(a) She thought he would change eventually.
(b) She was embarrassed.
(c) Matthew was so dependent on her.
(d) She was paid by Matthew's parents to stay.
13. What does Mary encounter on her way home?
(a) The violinist.
(b) A stray dog.
(c) A beautiful Persian cat.
(d) A car accident.
14. How does Mary respond to Edgar's question?
(a) She asks for a few days to consider it.
(b) She says she is not ready to return to England.
(c) She does not know the woman who Edgar plans to marry.
(d) She says she is not comfortable with his staying at the villa since she is alone.
15. What does Mary learn when Edgar arrives?
(a) He's been offered a position as governor of Bengal.
(b) He is getting married to someone else.
(c) He has been knighted.
(d) He is dying.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Mary believe Edgar might be offered?
2. What happens as the party is about to end?
3. Why does Karl Richter take the job at the restaurant as a violinist?
4. Who is generally in good humor?
5. In what century is the Tuscan villa built?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)