|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mary's mother point out to Mary when Mary was 19?
(a) That Edgar is a scoundrel.
(b) That Edgar would be an advantageous catch.
(c) That Edgar is in love with her.
(d) That Edgar was too old for Mary and to stop flirting.
2. What does Mary think about on the way to the party?
(a) Her mother's vague allusions to health issues.
(b) Edgar's question.
(c) How to maximize the little money she has remaining.
(d) Her sister's pending divorce.
3. Why does Mary say about Matthew Panton?
(a) She had never been in love with him.
(b) He was misguided.
(c) She should not have married him.
(d) He was a good man.
4. What does Edgar give Ciro?
(b) Tickets to the opera.
(c) Instructions about the roses.
5. Why does Mary think the tip she leaves will mean a great deal?
(a) The person will not expect it.
(b) She noticed how shabby the person's shoes are.
(c) She does not really think about it.
(d) It is done in generosity rather than condescension.
6. What is Mary doing at the opening of chapter 2?
(a) Talking with her mother on the phone.
(c) Getting ready to go to the party.
(d) Digging in the rosebushes.
7. What does Mary extol?
(a) Her father's architectural abilities.
(b) Her father's virtues.
(c) Matthew's final days.
(d) Edgar's virtues.
8. What does Edgar want Mary to carry with her to Florence?
(a) A bottle of vintage win for an old friend.
(b) A note for the Princess.
(c) A bottle of vintage wine for the Princess.
(d) A gun for protection.
9. Of what is Rowley concerned?
(a) That Mary will be alright getting home.
(b) That Mary will marry and be unhappy.
(c) That Mary will tell someone how nice Rowley really is.
(d) That Mary will never consider marriage again after her first experience.
10. Of what nationality is Princess San Ferdinando?
11. From what does Mary try to save Matthew?
(a) His drinking.
(b) The creditors.
(c) His depression.
(d) His protective mother.
12. What does Rowley say about his reputation?
(a) That it is greatly exaggerated.
(b) That it is misplaced.
(c) That it is true but he is willing to change.
(d) That he'd be a fool not to enjoy life.
13. Why is Mary Panton at the villa?
(a) To oversee its remodeling.
(b) For recuperation from emotional trauma.
(c) To meet with her husband who has been conducting business nearby.
(d) To visit her sister and her husband who rent the villa.
14. What does Mary say she would give Rowley if she could?
(a) A unique gift.
(c) An introduction to her sister.
(d) A suitable wife.
15. What does Mary decide to give Karl as a gift?
(a) Money to pay his rent.
(b) An old violin that has been in her family.
(c) A possible job with her father.
(d) A sexual encounter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary make Karl?
2. About what did Mary and Matthew fight?
3. What does Edgar ask Mary?
4. Why does Rowley propose to Mary?
5. What does Mary wish she had done?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)