|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the amount most people give the entertainer?
(a) At least fifty lira.
(b) Five or ten lira.
(c) Nothing; he is paid by the hostess.
(d) He was such a poor musician, most only give him a lira or two.
2. Why does Mary say about Matthew Panton?
(a) He was a good man.
(b) She should not have married him.
(c) He was misguided.
(d) She had never been in love with him.
3. Why is Edgar visiting?
(a) He is a contractor who will be doing the remodeling of her villa.
(b) He wants to buy the villa where she is staying.
(c) He needs to ask Mary's advice about her sister.
(d) He has an appointment in Cannes and so is nearby.
4. What does Edgar give Ciro?
(a) Tickets to the opera.
(c) Instructions about the roses.
5. About what did Mary and Matthew fight?
(a) Nothing much.
(c) His long absences.
(d) His drinking.
6. Where is the party Mary is attending that night to be held?
(a) In a converted opera house.
(b) In open pavilions on the estate of a Baron Mary does not know.
(c) A restaurant on the banks of the Arno river.
(d) At Princess San Ferdinando's home.
7. Why does Mary drive around the area?
(a) To search for an old friend's home.
(b) To search for a villa her family owned when she was a child.
(c) To see the sights.
(d) To show her sister around the area.
8. What does Karl point out to Mary as they are driving to her villa?
(a) A shabby house where he lives.
(b) The lights of Florence.
(c) The full moon.
(d) The lights of Cannes.
9. What does Mary learn when Edgar arrives?
(a) He's been offered a position as governor of Bengal.
(b) He has been knighted.
(c) He is dying.
(d) He is getting married to someone else.
10. What does Mary make clear to Rowley?
(a) She is not interested in him.
(b) He is an interesting man and she might go out with him.
(c) Her divorce is not yet final.
(d) She is still grieving the death of her husband.
11. How does Mary describe how Matthew was at first?
(a) Quiet and studious.
(b) Polite and reserved.
(c) Charming and fun.
(d) Zestful and overly-boisterous.
12. What does Mary do with a hundred lira note?
(a) Ask Rowley to get her a cab as she is too tipsy to drive.
(b) Tip the valet.
(c) Tip the violinist.
(d) Leaves it in the ladies' room for the washerwoman.
13. What does Mary do on the way home?
(a) Decides to disappear.
(c) Stop to enjoy the view.
(d) Decides she will accept Edgar's proposal.
14. Of what is Rowley concerned?
(a) That Mary will never consider marriage again after her first experience.
(b) That Mary will tell someone how nice Rowley really is.
(c) That Mary will be alright getting home.
(d) That Mary will marry and be unhappy.
15. What does Mary wish she had done?
(a) Stayed home to think about marriage.
(b) Stayed home and packed to go to her mother.
(c) Called her sister and canceled the visit.
(d) Stayed home so she did not have to be cheerful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rowley believe about Mary as far as Edgar is concerned?
2. What position does Mary believe Edgar might be offered?
3. What is Rowley's parting shot at Mary?
4. About what do Mary and Rowley speak at length?
5. Why is Mary Panton at the villa?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)