|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mary's mother point out to Mary when Mary was 19?
(a) That Edgar is a scoundrel.
(b) That Edgar was too old for Mary and to stop flirting.
(c) That Edgar is in love with her.
(d) That Edgar would be an advantageous catch.
2. Of what is Colonel Trail very complimentary?
(a) The Princess's gown.
(b) Mary's deceased husband.
(c) Mary's deceased father.
(d) Edgar's recent appointment.
3. What does Mary wish she had done?
(a) Called her sister and canceled the visit.
(b) Stayed home and packed to go to her mother.
(c) Stayed home to think about marriage.
(d) Stayed home so she did not have to be cheerful.
4. What does the Princess ask of Mary?
(a) To visit her the next day.
(b) To show Mary her paintings sometime.
(c) To give Rowley a ride to his motel.
(d) To stay at her house that night rather than risk the long drive home.
5. At what has Edgar proven himself?
6. What does Mary extol?
(a) Her father's virtues.
(b) Matthew's final days.
(c) Her father's architectural abilities.
(d) Edgar's virtues.
7. Why couldn't Mary end the marriage?
(a) Matthew was so dependent on her.
(b) She was embarrassed.
(c) She thought he would change eventually.
(d) She was paid by Matthew's parents to stay.
8. Who prompts Nina to remind Mary?
(a) No one.
9. About what do Mary and Rowley speak at length?
(a) Rowley's home in the United States.
(b) Mary's father's architectural designs.
(c) Rowley's new business venture in Tuscany.
(d) Mary and Edgar and Mary's situation.
10. What does Mary decide to give Karl as a gift?
(a) A possible job with her father.
(b) A sexual encounter.
(c) Money to pay his rent.
(d) An old violin that has been in her family.
11. What is the amount most people give the entertainer?
(a) At least fifty lira.
(b) Nothing; he is paid by the hostess.
(c) He was such a poor musician, most only give him a lira or two.
(d) Five or ten lira.
12. What happens as the party is about to end?
(a) The Princess becomes ill.
(b) A plate to tip the violinist is sent around.
(c) A man barges in and creates a scene.
(d) Mary faints.
13. Why is Rowley Flint invited to the party?
(a) To even out the attendance after Edgar gave his regrets.
(b) Because he just arrived in Florence and is a childhood friend of the Princess.
(c) As a balance to the Princess's husband's taciturn nature.
(d) As a possible suitor for Mary.
14. What is Mary's reply?
(a) She does not want to live in the United States.
(b) She is not in love with him.
(c) She would consider it.
(d) She isn't over Matthew yet.
15. What does Karl point out to Mary as they are driving to her villa?
(a) A shabby house where he lives.
(b) The lights of Florence.
(c) The lights of Cannes.
(d) The full moon.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mary describe how Matthew was at first?
2. Who is Edgar Swift?
3. Who advised Mary not to marry Matthew?
4. What does Mary make clear to Rowley?
5. What does Edgar ask Mary?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)