|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mary describe how Matthew was at first?
(a) Polite and reserved.
(b) Charming and fun.
(c) Zestful and overly-boisterous.
(d) Quiet and studious.
2. Of what nationality is Princess San Ferdinando?
3. What did Mary's mother point out to Mary when Mary was 19?
(a) That Edgar is a scoundrel.
(b) That Edgar was too old for Mary and to stop flirting.
(c) That Edgar is in love with her.
(d) That Edgar would be an advantageous catch.
4. Why does Mary say about Matthew Panton?
(a) She had never been in love with him.
(b) She should not have married him.
(c) He was a good man.
(d) He was misguided.
5. Why does Mary have second thoughts about attending the party?
(a) She knows no one at the party.
(b) Her mother wants her to come to Rome right away.
(c) Edgar is not there to escort her.
(d) Her sister arrives the next day and the house needs cleaning.
6. What does Rowley believe about Mary as far as Edgar is concerned?
(a) That Edgar is too staid for Mary.
(b) That they are perfectly suited to each other.
(c) That Mary is not in love with him.
(d) That Edgar is not in love with Mary.
7. Why does Mary drive around the area?
(a) To search for an old friend's home.
(b) To search for a villa her family owned when she was a child.
(c) To see the sights.
(d) To show her sister around the area.
8. What does Mary do with a hundred lira note?
(a) Tip the violinist.
(b) Tip the valet.
(c) Leaves it in the ladies' room for the washerwoman.
(d) Ask Rowley to get her a cab as she is too tipsy to drive.
9. What is Mary's reply?
(a) She does not want to live in the United States.
(b) She is not in love with him.
(c) She isn't over Matthew yet.
(d) She would consider it.
10. What does Nina remind Mary to do?
(a) Apply rouge and eye liner.
(b) Have the car filled with petrol.
(c) Carry her pistol.
(d) Call her sister back.
11. Why is Edgar visiting?
(a) He has an appointment in Cannes and so is nearby.
(b) He needs to ask Mary's advice about her sister.
(c) He is a contractor who will be doing the remodeling of her villa.
(d) He wants to buy the villa where she is staying.
12. What does Mary think about on the way to the party?
(a) How to maximize the little money she has remaining.
(b) Her mother's vague allusions to health issues.
(c) Edgar's question.
(d) Her sister's pending divorce.
13. Who prompts Nina to remind Mary?
(c) No one.
14. What does Edgar want Mary to carry with her to Florence?
(a) A bottle of vintage wine for the Princess.
(b) A gun for protection.
(c) A bottle of vintage win for an old friend.
(d) A note for the Princess.
15. Why is Mary Panton at the villa?
(a) To oversee its remodeling.
(b) To visit her sister and her husband who rent the villa.
(c) For recuperation from emotional trauma.
(d) To meet with her husband who has been conducting business nearby.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is generally in good humor?
2. What does Rowley say about his reputation?
3. Of what is Colonel Trail very complimentary?
4. What does Mary decide to give Karl as a gift?
5. How long has Mary known Edgar?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)