|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his role as governor of the Louisiana territory, Lewis
2. While on the Columbia, the primary interest of the group was to
3. Meriwether Lewis moved to Philadelphia with the intention of
4. Lewis had trouble adjusting to his new role in which he
5. The Eulachon, which the Clatsops sold to the expedition were
Essay Topic 1
Research and write an exploratory essay on the Nez Perce Indians
1) The Nez Perce were favored by Lewis and Clark as being kind, generous and trustworthy.
2) Did the Nez Perce have any earlier history with, or prior reasons to trust the white men?
3) What was the ultimate disposition of their tribe? How did the US government deal with them? Is there a reservation? Is the tribe still in existence?
4) Research and describe the customs and traditions in the Nez Perce culture.
Essay Topic 2
Research and write an expository essay on the rumor/legend/fact that Thomas Jefferson had an affair and a child with his black slave.
1) What is known about this rumor now? Was it true?
2) Have the relatives of this relationship surfaced, and, if so, how much credibility can we give to their stories?
3) Jefferson was never married. Can it be determined whether he was in love with this female slave?
4) Jefferson was known as something of a womanizer. If there is little factual information to support the affair, is it likely to have been true, given Jefferson's lifestyle?
Essay Topic 3
Write an exploratory essay about the esteemed American Philosophical Society, and try to answer the following questions:
1) Who established it, and when
2) Its purpose
3) Who belonged to it of note
4) What it accomplished or contributed
This section contains 1,959 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)