|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The base of Lewis's proposed trading plan with Canton would be
2. The Captains decided to ride out some very dangerous rapids, which resulted in
3. Upon Lewis' death, the expedition journals fell into the hands of
4. The government refused to pay Lewis' drafts for the return of Big White, ostensibly because
5. Cut Nose planned to send two guides to the expedition to help them get to
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Sacagawea lose her blue beads?
2. Why was General Clark upset with his loyal slave, York?
3. Why were the two chiefs, Twisted Hair and Cut Nose, angry at one another and how was it resolved?
4. Discuss Lewis' varied capabilities that made him the perfect leader for this journey.
5. As governor of the Louisiana Territory, Lewis was in over his head. How did Lewis fail in his job as governor?
6. Describe Lewis' grand scheme for American fur trading.
7. Can we ascribe any meaning to soldiers giving Captain Clark presents for Christmas, and no mention of presents for Lewis?
8. It seems that Lewis has had a major lapse in judgment in many respects and his behavior has become erratic. What major political mistake did he make when arranging to send Big White back to the Mandans?
9. What mistake did Lewis make with the Blackfoot Indians with whom he was trying to make a deal?
10. Why did the Captains make the dangerous decision to divide the men into five groups?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a research essay about the history of syphilis in the US:
1) What are the symptoms and effects of the disease, and the prognosis in the 1800s?
2) Was there the same level of epidemic of syphilis in Europe?
3) How was it treated in Europe?
4) What was finally discovered that got syphilis under control?
5) What famous people died during that century from syphilis?
Essay Topic 2
Meriwether Lewis and William Clark were very close friends, but had very different personalities and backgrounds. Compare and contrast:
1) How differently did the two men grow up?
2) What did they have in common?
3) How did their leadership habits mesh or clash?
4) Were they a good team?
Essay Topic 3
How would it have influenced Meriwether Lewis if he could have seen into the future? Write an informal essay about what changed after his death, such as.
1) Jefferson did not realize that the means of transportation would become faster and more reliable than travel by horse.
2) He did not know that Jefferson would expect him to take complete responsibility for publishing his scientific journals.
3) Some of Jefferson's wild inventions would become reality.
4) The country actually would become one nation under one government.
5) The Indians would be subdued and all but wiped out by the government.
6) There would be many thousands of Americans moving west and settling.
7) Britain and France would no longer occupy parts of America.
This section contains 1,398 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)