|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jefferson made Lewis a member of
2. The history of fur trade in America was one of
3. Opening the cache let in 1805, Lewis found that
4. The Captains try to arrange an agreement for the Nez Perce to
5. Lewis found it difficult, at the end, to
Short Essay Questions
1. It seems that Lewis has had a major lapse in judgment in many respects and his behavior has become erratic. What major political mistake did he make when arranging to send Big White back to the Mandans?
2. Does it seem odd that the Captains and their soldiers had no idea of how they would be rewarded by the government prior to their return from the expedition?
3. Why did the Captains make the dangerous decision to divide the men into five groups?
4. Why were the two chiefs, Twisted Hair and Cut Nose, angry at one another and how was it resolved?
5. How did Sacagawea lose her blue beads?
6. What may Lewis have been talking about when Mrs. Grinder heard him taking to himself like a lawyer?
7. Was it justifiable for Lewis to turn his publishing project into such a huge and complex undertaking?
8. Why was General Clark upset with his loyal slave, York?
9. The author speculates, in addition to other possibilities, that Lewis had a combination of malaria, manic-depression psychosis, alcoholism or some other physical ailments. Discuss what may have sent Lewis into depression at this point in his life.
10. In what way was Lewis being overly confident when crossing the Lolo trail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an exploratory essay about the esteemed American Philosophical Society, and try to answer the following questions:
1) Who established it, and when
2) Its purpose
3) Who belonged to it of note
4) What it accomplished or contributed
Essay Topic 2
Lewis was a Republican; Clark married into a Federalist family. In an essay, explain the differences between the two parties. Compare and contrast:
1) The parties' basic philosophies
2) Their political platforms and future goals
3) How much volatility existed between them
4) Can the parties be compared to our currently existing two parties? How?
4) Name some famous Republicans and Federalists, besides those in the book
Essay Topic 3
How would it have influenced Meriwether Lewis if he could have seen into the future? Write an informal essay about what changed after his death, such as.
1) Jefferson did not realize that the means of transportation would become faster and more reliable than travel by horse.
2) He did not know that Jefferson would expect him to take complete responsibility for publishing his scientific journals.
3) Some of Jefferson's wild inventions would become reality.
4) The country actually would become one nation under one government.
5) The Indians would be subdued and all but wiped out by the government.
6) There would be many thousands of Americans moving west and settling.
7) Britain and France would no longer occupy parts of America.
This section contains 1,419 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)