|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis imagined a situation of trade which would allow
2. Upon escaping a violent situation with Blackfoot warriors, Lewis burned
3. During the winter of 1807-1808, for eight months Meriwether Lewis
4. Lewis proposed that all the furs in the northwest could be
5. Lewis' greatest mistake may have been
Short Essay Questions
1. It seems that Lewis has had a major lapse in judgment in many respects and his behavior has become erratic. What major political mistake did he make when arranging to send Big White back to the Mandans?
2. As governor of the Louisiana Territory, Lewis was in over his head. How did Lewis fail in his job as governor?
3. What was the intention behind Lewis' last voyage?
4. What were some of the changes the expedition experienced as they came nearer to the coast?
5. Discuss Meriwether Lewis' response to the fact that some of his soldiers were planning to publish their own journals of the expedition.
6. Why was Lewis desperate to get some Indians to Washington?
7. Why was General Clark upset with his loyal slave, York?
8. What is it that begins to finally destroy Lewis financially?
9. Can we ascribe any meaning to soldiers giving Captain Clark presents for Christmas, and no mention of presents for Lewis?
10. Describe the difference between the more northern Walla Walla Indians and the coastal Chinookian tribes, as Lewis perceived it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lewis was a Republican; Clark married into a Federalist family. In an essay, explain the differences between the two parties. Compare and contrast:
1) The parties' basic philosophies
2) Their political platforms and future goals
3) How much volatility existed between them
4) Can the parties be compared to our currently existing two parties? How?
4) Name some famous Republicans and Federalists, besides those in the book
Essay Topic 2
Write an narrative essay about food and the Lewis and Clark expedition, and also speculate on the following:
1) What was principal diet of the expedition members, and why?
2) Why did they tend toward eating some foods and not others, besides the availability factors?
3) Why did they rely on purchased dried fish from the Indians, rather than catching their own fresh fish?
4) Can you think of any other foods they might have taken advantage of during sparse periods?
Essay Topic 3
Sacagawea's notoriety as one of the the expedition members only came about through history after she was gone. Write a narrative to examine the following:
1)What were her major contributions to the expedition?
2) Was she afforded special treatment?
3) Were her interpreter's skills used wisely? When? Could they have been better used?
4) Was the presence of her child a distraction to the expedition? Did it not create extra work in the portage process?
5) Was the identify of Cameahwait as Sacagawea's brother surprising? Why did she not leave, or stay, with him?
This section contains 1,396 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)