Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jefferson made Lewis a member of
2. At The Dalles, the expedition paid dearly for four horses with
3. By this time, Jefferson has retired to Monticello, and the new president is
4. By the time Lewis reaches Grinder's Inn, he seems
5. Having an Indian woman with their party signified
Essay Topic 1
Sacagawea was only one of Charbonneau's wives. Research and write an exploratory essay on Charbonneau:
1) Did the Charbonneau family continue to thrive in the region of the Mandan camps?
2) Are there still Charbonneau's living there now?
3) Was it a custom within the Shoshones to have two wives, or did Charbonneau think this up on his own?
Essay Topic 2
Stephen Ambrose's footnotes could comprise a story by themselves. Write a descriptive essay, addressing one or two of the interesting facts he has noted, as well as the supportive information for them, which is not included in the actual text of the book.
1) Page 234 describes the brand Lewis applied to the expedition's horses that was found many years later. Try to find an image of it and write a short essay about this part of the journey, and how the horses were retrieved.
2. The soldier, Newman, who was court martialed and sent back to St. Louis is mentioned on page 209. Find additional information about Newman and what he did after returning to St. Louis.
3. On page 320, there is added information about Lewis' mercury cure for syphilis. Research and write about this "cure," how and when it was discovered, and its true effects on the disease.
Essay Topic 3
Research and write an exploratory essay on the Nez Perce Indians
1) The Nez Perce were favored by Lewis and Clark as being kind, generous and trustworthy.
2) Did the Nez Perce have any earlier history with, or prior reasons to trust the white men?
3) What was the ultimate disposition of their tribe? How did the US government deal with them? Is there a reservation? Is the tribe still in existence?
4) Research and describe the customs and traditions in the Nez Perce culture.
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)