|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon escaping a violent situation with Blackfoot warriors, Lewis burned
2. In his role as governor of the Louisiana territory, Lewis
3. Although Lewis had become more productive in St. Louis,
4. Speculation about the eight-month period include the possibility that
5. Lewis proposed to free up the fur trade by establishing
Short Essay Questions
1. What were two of the worst problems for the expedition at Clatsop? Explain
2. Describe the difference between the more northern Walla Walla Indians and the coastal Chinookian tribes, as Lewis perceived it.
3. Why was Lewis desperate to get some Indians to Washington?
4. Why did the Captains make the dangerous decision to divide the men into five groups?
5. Describe Lewis' desperate act in the spring of 1806.
6. As governor of the Louisiana Territory, Lewis was in over his head. How did Lewis fail in his job as governor?
7. Why was General Clark upset with his loyal slave, York?
8. In what area does the author feel Lewis' greatest talents had lain?
9. Lewis experiences pain that far exceeds any he has been through on the trip thus far. Describe the incident.
10. What was the intention behind Lewis' last voyage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacagawea was only one of Charbonneau's wives. Research and write an exploratory essay on Charbonneau:
1) Did the Charbonneau family continue to thrive in the region of the Mandan camps?
2) Are there still Charbonneau's living there now?
3) Was it a custom within the Shoshones to have two wives, or did Charbonneau think this up on his own?
Essay Topic 2
Write an narrative essay about food and the Lewis and Clark expedition, and also speculate on the following:
1) What was principal diet of the expedition members, and why?
2) Why did they tend toward eating some foods and not others, besides the availability factors?
3) Why did they rely on purchased dried fish from the Indians, rather than catching their own fresh fish?
4) Can you think of any other foods they might have taken advantage of during sparse periods?
Essay Topic 3
How would it have influenced Meriwether Lewis if he could have seen into the future? Write an informal essay about what changed after his death, such as.
1) Jefferson did not realize that the means of transportation would become faster and more reliable than travel by horse.
2) He did not know that Jefferson would expect him to take complete responsibility for publishing his scientific journals.
3) Some of Jefferson's wild inventions would become reality.
4) The country actually would become one nation under one government.
5) The Indians would be subdued and all but wiped out by the government.
6) There would be many thousands of Americans moving west and settling.
7) Britain and France would no longer occupy parts of America.
This section contains 1,408 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)