|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The history of fur trade in America was one of
2. Speculation about the eight-month period include the possibility that
3. At 33-years-old, Lewis had become
4. Lewis proposed to free up the fur trade by establishing
5. The author suspects that Meriwether Lewis was
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that begins to finally destroy Lewis financially?
2. Discuss Lewis' varied capabilities that made him the perfect leader for this journey.
3. The author speculates, in addition to other possibilities, that Lewis had a combination of malaria, manic-depression psychosis, alcoholism or some other physical ailments. Discuss what may have sent Lewis into depression at this point in his life.
4. Why did the Captains make the dangerous decision to divide the men into five groups?
5. Can we ascribe any meaning to soldiers giving Captain Clark presents for Christmas, and no mention of presents for Lewis?
6. It seems that Lewis has had a major lapse in judgment in many respects and his behavior has become erratic. What major political mistake did he make when arranging to send Big White back to the Mandans?
7. What was the intention behind Lewis' last voyage?
8. Why was General Clark upset with his loyal slave, York?
9. Did Lewis' celebrity go to his head?
10. How do you think Lewis viewed his responsibility toward the governorship of the Louisiana Territory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thomas Jefferson gave birth to the idea of an expedition to find the Northwest passage. Write a persuasive essay about any or all of the following:
1) Did Jefferson prove to be a fair weather friend to Lewis & Clark?
2) What did Jefferson do upon Lewis' return to help distribute his findings? Was Lewis properly credited?
3) Did Jefferson get what he wanted out of the expedition, besides the answer to his question about a waterway to the Pacific?
4) Jefferson claims to have known that Lewis had some mental illness all his life. Did he take any measures to help Lewis?
Essay Topic 2
Research and write an exploratory essay on the Nez Perce Indians
1) The Nez Perce were favored by Lewis and Clark as being kind, generous and trustworthy.
2) Did the Nez Perce have any earlier history with, or prior reasons to trust the white men?
3) What was the ultimate disposition of their tribe? How did the US government deal with them? Is there a reservation? Is the tribe still in existence?
4) Research and describe the customs and traditions in the Nez Perce culture.
Essay Topic 3
John Coulter left the expedition to go on to explore the Yellowstone area, with Lewis' blessings.
1) What can we learn about John Coulter? Is he famous in the annals of American history for his work?
2) Did Coulter have any productive interactions with Indians in the Yellowstone country?
3) Did Coulter keep journals, and was he also a "naturalist" like Lewis?
4) Is there any recorded history of why he made such a decision?
5) What did Coulter accomplish and when/where did he die?
This section contains 1,434 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)