|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis idealistically thought that the Indians and white Americans would come together through
2. During the winter of 1807-1808, for eight months Meriwether Lewis
3. Complicating Lewis' depression, perhaps, was
4. The primary industry in St. Louis is associated with
5. Lewis and Clark break the expedition up in groups to
Short Essay Questions
1. Did Lewis' celebrity go to his head?
2. As governor of the Louisiana Territory, Lewis was in over his head. How did Lewis fail in his job as governor?
3. What may Lewis have been talking about when Mrs. Grinder heard him taking to himself like a lawyer?
4. Does it seem odd that the Captains and their soldiers had no idea of how they would be rewarded by the government prior to their return from the expedition?
5. What was the intention behind Lewis' last voyage?
6. What were some of the changes the expedition experienced as they came nearer to the coast?
7. Was it justifiable for Lewis to turn his publishing project into such a huge and complex undertaking?
8. Describe the difference between the more northern Walla Walla Indians and the coastal Chinookian tribes, as Lewis perceived it.
9. Explain Lewis' maneuvering when he arrived in St. Louis, with respect to communicating about the expedition.
10. What was Lewis' biggest failure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lewis and Clark witness a Sioux "scalp dance" on the upper Missouri.
1) Why was the scalp dance being performed at this time? What did it mean?
2) Did the Sioux find some kind of spiritual triumph in capturing prisoners of other tribes? What was the Sioux's philosophy regarding other tribes? Was their priority their land, hunting grounds, horses, or just power? How could another tribe offend them enough to get scalped?
3) How many bands, or different groups of Sioux were in the country at that time?
Essay Topic 2
Meriwether Lewis' father died when he was young and his mother remarried, changing her name to Marks.
1) Is there a genealogy of Lewis' family? Is there an organized group of "family" genealogists related to him?
2) Lewis is said to have come from royal ancestry in Europe. Research this and determine whether it is factual, and provide additional information.
3) Try to locate some information on Meriwether Lewis' father. Did he suffer from mental illness? Write an essay on his life.
Essay Topic 3
Write an narrative essay about food and the Lewis and Clark expedition, and also speculate on the following:
1) What was principal diet of the expedition members, and why?
2) Why did they tend toward eating some foods and not others, besides the availability factors?
3) Why did they rely on purchased dried fish from the Indians, rather than catching their own fresh fish?
4) Can you think of any other foods they might have taken advantage of during sparse periods?
This section contains 1,448 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)