|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cut Nose planned to send two guides to the expedition to help them get to
2. As they travel toward St. Louis, Meriwether Lewis feels that
3. On his journey to Washington, Lewis wrote to Madison and expressed that he was
4. Lewis and Clark break the expedition up in groups to
5. The Spanish were concerned that because of Lewis & Clark's expedition,
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think Lewis viewed his responsibility toward the governorship of the Louisiana Territory?
2. The author speculates, in addition to other possibilities, that Lewis had a combination of malaria, manic-depression psychosis, alcoholism or some other physical ailments. Discuss what may have sent Lewis into depression at this point in his life.
3. Can we ascribe any meaning to soldiers giving Captain Clark presents for Christmas, and no mention of presents for Lewis?
4. What may Lewis have been talking about when Mrs. Grinder heard him taking to himself like a lawyer?
5. Why was General Clark upset with his loyal slave, York?
6. Lewis experiences pain that far exceeds any he has been through on the trip thus far. Describe the incident.
7. What is it that begins to finally destroy Lewis financially?
8. In what way was Lewis being overly confident when crossing the Lolo trail?
9. Why was Lewis desperate to get some Indians to Washington?
10. Discuss Lewis' varied capabilities that made him the perfect leader for this journey.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a critical essay about Thomas Jefferson and his wild ideas of a water route to the Pacific.
1) What were Jefferson's motives? Were they mercenary? Why did he want to be the one to find the passage?
2) Do you feel Jefferson sacrificed Lewis, knowing that the odds were against his returning safely?
3) Did Jefferson desert Lewis in his time of need? Did he fight for him after he left office when his vouchers were in question?
4) Why did Jefferson lay the burden of publishing the data on Lewis personally, and later on Clark?
Essay Topic 2
How would it have influenced Meriwether Lewis if he could have seen into the future? Write an informal essay about what changed after his death, such as.
1) Jefferson did not realize that the means of transportation would become faster and more reliable than travel by horse.
2) He did not know that Jefferson would expect him to take complete responsibility for publishing his scientific journals.
3) Some of Jefferson's wild inventions would become reality.
4) The country actually would become one nation under one government.
5) The Indians would be subdued and all but wiped out by the government.
6) There would be many thousands of Americans moving west and settling.
7) Britain and France would no longer occupy parts of America.
Essay Topic 3
Lewis and Clark's original journals are priceless, invaluable items of American history.
1) Where are they today? Have they been preserved?
2) What kind of materials were they written on and with?
3) How much of the journals are missing, if any?
4) Has anyone, besides Biddle, tried to edit and rewrite them for general consumption? Why, or why not?
This section contains 1,475 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)