|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Meriwether Lewis may have misused public funds by
2. Lewis' first attempt at suicide was
3. While Lewis worked on his drawings and descriptions of plants and animals, Clark worked on
4. The primary industry in St. Louis is associated with
5. Lewis recommended compensation to all of the members of his party, with the exception of
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Lewis' maneuvering when he arrived in St. Louis, with respect to communicating about the expedition.
2. Why was General Clark upset with his loyal slave, York?
3. It seems that Lewis has had a major lapse in judgment in many respects and his behavior has become erratic. What major political mistake did he make when arranging to send Big White back to the Mandans?
4. In what way was Lewis being overly confident when crossing the Lolo trail?
5. Discuss Meriwether Lewis' response to the fact that some of his soldiers were planning to publish their own journals of the expedition.
6. Can we ascribe any meaning to soldiers giving Captain Clark presents for Christmas, and no mention of presents for Lewis?
7. What were some of the changes the expedition experienced as they came nearer to the coast?
8. What is it that begins to finally destroy Lewis financially?
9. Why did the Captains make the dangerous decision to divide the men into five groups?
10. What was Lewis' biggest failure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a research essay about the history of syphilis in the US:
1) What are the symptoms and effects of the disease, and the prognosis in the 1800s?
2) Was there the same level of epidemic of syphilis in Europe?
3) How was it treated in Europe?
4) What was finally discovered that got syphilis under control?
5) What famous people died during that century from syphilis?
Essay Topic 2
Lewis and Clark signed a detachment order in 1804 that ordered the sergeants of the group to keep their own daily journals. We know that at least two of the soldiers attempted to publish their own journals, but what became of them, and any others that were written?
Write a research essay and determine whether the lesser officers' journals were preserved and whether they were studied by historians later. If so, what are the highlights? Did they disagree with Lewis & Clark's determination regarding the Missouri vs. Marias Rivers? These would be fascinating to compare and contrast to the Captains' journals. If no information is available on them, outline where and how you researched them, and speculate as to what happened to them.
Essay Topic 3
Write a critical essay about Thomas Jefferson and his wild ideas of a water route to the Pacific.
1) What were Jefferson's motives? Were they mercenary? Why did he want to be the one to find the passage?
2) Do you feel Jefferson sacrificed Lewis, knowing that the odds were against his returning safely?
3) Did Jefferson desert Lewis in his time of need? Did he fight for him after he left office when his vouchers were in question?
4) Why did Jefferson lay the burden of publishing the data on Lewis personally, and later on Clark?
This section contains 1,398 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)