|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Having an Indian woman with their party signified
2. Lewis puts into place a number of rules to keep order at the fort, the primary one being that
3. While on the Columbia, the primary interest of the group was to
4. The author suspects that Meriwether Lewis was
5. Captain Clark, unlike Lewis,
Short Essay Questions
1. Can we ascribe any meaning to soldiers giving Captain Clark presents for Christmas, and no mention of presents for Lewis?
2. Lewis experiences pain that far exceeds any he has been through on the trip thus far. Describe the incident.
3. Describe Lewis' grand scheme for American fur trading.
4. In what way was Lewis being overly confident when crossing the Lolo trail?
5. How do you think Lewis viewed his responsibility toward the governorship of the Louisiana Territory?
6. What may Lewis have been talking about when Mrs. Grinder heard him taking to himself like a lawyer?
7. It seems that Lewis has had a major lapse in judgment in many respects and his behavior has become erratic. What major political mistake did he make when arranging to send Big White back to the Mandans?
8. What was Lewis' biggest failure?
9. Why were the two chiefs, Twisted Hair and Cut Nose, angry at one another and how was it resolved?
10. Was it justifiable for Lewis to turn his publishing project into such a huge and complex undertaking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Coulter left the expedition to go on to explore the Yellowstone area, with Lewis' blessings.
1) What can we learn about John Coulter? Is he famous in the annals of American history for his work?
2) Did Coulter have any productive interactions with Indians in the Yellowstone country?
3) Did Coulter keep journals, and was he also a "naturalist" like Lewis?
4) Is there any recorded history of why he made such a decision?
5) What did Coulter accomplish and when/where did he die?
Essay Topic 2
Meriwether Lewis' father died when he was young and his mother remarried, changing her name to Marks.
1) Is there a genealogy of Lewis' family? Is there an organized group of "family" genealogists related to him?
2) Lewis is said to have come from royal ancestry in Europe. Research this and determine whether it is factual, and provide additional information.
3) Try to locate some information on Meriwether Lewis' father. Did he suffer from mental illness? Write an essay on his life.
Essay Topic 3
Write an narrative essay about food and the Lewis and Clark expedition, and also speculate on the following:
1) What was principal diet of the expedition members, and why?
2) Why did they tend toward eating some foods and not others, besides the availability factors?
3) Why did they rely on purchased dried fish from the Indians, rather than catching their own fresh fish?
4) Can you think of any other foods they might have taken advantage of during sparse periods?
This section contains 1,389 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)