|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis seriously wanted to avoid
2. Ironically, Jefferson told visiting Indians that
3. The primary industry in St. Louis is associated with
4. Meriwether Lewis moved to Philadelphia with the intention of
5. Lewis imagined a situation of trade which would allow
Essay Topic 1
Lewis and Clark signed a detachment order in 1804 that ordered the sergeants of the group to keep their own daily journals. We know that at least two of the soldiers attempted to publish their own journals, but what became of them, and any others that were written?
Write a research essay and determine whether the lesser officers' journals were preserved and whether they were studied by historians later. If so, what are the highlights? Did they disagree with Lewis & Clark's determination regarding the Missouri vs. Marias Rivers? These would be fascinating to compare and contrast to the Captains' journals. If no information is available on them, outline where and how you researched them, and speculate as to what happened to them.
Essay Topic 2
Sacagawea's notoriety as one of the the expedition members only came about through history after she was gone. Write a narrative to examine the following:
1)What were her major contributions to the expedition?
2) Was she afforded special treatment?
3) Were her interpreter's skills used wisely? When? Could they have been better used?
4) Was the presence of her child a distraction to the expedition? Did it not create extra work in the portage process?
5) Was the identify of Cameahwait as Sacagawea's brother surprising? Why did she not leave, or stay, with him?
Essay Topic 3
Write an exploratory essay about the esteemed American Philosophical Society, and try to answer the following questions:
1) Who established it, and when
2) Its purpose
3) Who belonged to it of note
4) What it accomplished or contributed
This section contains 1,978 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)