|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Publication of Lewis' journals would prove to be
2. Lewis had trouble adjusting to his new role in which he
3. Unlike the coastal Chinook Indians, the Walla-Walla Indians prove to be
4. While Lewis worked on his drawings and descriptions of plants and animals, Clark worked on
5. Lewis imagined a situation of trade which would allow
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think Lewis viewed his responsibility toward the governorship of the Louisiana Territory?
2. What may Lewis have been talking about when Mrs. Grinder heard him taking to himself like a lawyer?
3. What were some of the changes the expedition experienced as they came nearer to the coast?
4. What mistake did Lewis make with the Blackfoot Indians with whom he was trying to make a deal?
5. What was the intention behind Lewis' last voyage?
6. Was it justifiable for Lewis to turn his publishing project into such a huge and complex undertaking?
7. As governor of the Louisiana Territory, Lewis was in over his head. How did Lewis fail in his job as governor?
8. Can we ascribe any meaning to soldiers giving Captain Clark presents for Christmas, and no mention of presents for Lewis?
9. It seems that Lewis has had a major lapse in judgment in many respects and his behavior has become erratic. What major political mistake did he make when arranging to send Big White back to the Mandans?
10. Explain Lewis' maneuvering when he arrived in St. Louis, with respect to communicating about the expedition.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thomas Jefferson gave birth to the idea of an expedition to find the Northwest passage. Write a persuasive essay about any or all of the following:
1) Did Jefferson prove to be a fair weather friend to Lewis & Clark?
2) What did Jefferson do upon Lewis' return to help distribute his findings? Was Lewis properly credited?
3) Did Jefferson get what he wanted out of the expedition, besides the answer to his question about a waterway to the Pacific?
4) Jefferson claims to have known that Lewis had some mental illness all his life. Did he take any measures to help Lewis?
Essay Topic 2
Stephen Ambrose's footnotes could comprise a story by themselves. Write a descriptive essay, addressing one or two of the interesting facts he has noted, as well as the supportive information for them, which is not included in the actual text of the book.
1) Page 234 describes the brand Lewis applied to the expedition's horses that was found many years later. Try to find an image of it and write a short essay about this part of the journey, and how the horses were retrieved.
2. The soldier, Newman, who was court martialed and sent back to St. Louis is mentioned on page 209. Find additional information about Newman and what he did after returning to St. Louis.
3. On page 320, there is added information about Lewis' mercury cure for syphilis. Research and write about this "cure," how and when it was discovered, and its true effects on the disease.
Essay Topic 3
Meriwether Lewis' father died when he was young and his mother remarried, changing her name to Marks.
1) Is there a genealogy of Lewis' family? Is there an organized group of "family" genealogists related to him?
2) Lewis is said to have come from royal ancestry in Europe. Research this and determine whether it is factual, and provide additional information.
3) Try to locate some information on Meriwether Lewis' father. Did he suffer from mental illness? Write an essay on his life.
This section contains 1,397 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)