|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The government refused to pay Lewis' drafts for the return of Big White, ostensibly because
2. Lewis' greatest mistake may have been
3. Clark was appointed as brigadier general of militia, as well as
4. In his role as governor of the Louisiana territory, Lewis
5. Having an Indian woman with their party signified
Short Essay Questions
1. Did Lewis' celebrity go to his head?
2. Why was Lewis desperate to get some Indians to Washington?
3. The author speculates, in addition to other possibilities, that Lewis had a combination of malaria, manic-depression psychosis, alcoholism or some other physical ailments. Discuss what may have sent Lewis into depression at this point in his life.
4. What were two of the worst problems for the expedition at Clatsop? Explain
5. Was it justifiable for Lewis to turn his publishing project into such a huge and complex undertaking?
6. What may Lewis have been talking about when Mrs. Grinder heard him taking to himself like a lawyer?
7. Does it seem odd that the Captains and their soldiers had no idea of how they would be rewarded by the government prior to their return from the expedition?
8. Why were the two chiefs, Twisted Hair and Cut Nose, angry at one another and how was it resolved?
9. Lewis experiences pain that far exceeds any he has been through on the trip thus far. Describe the incident.
10. In what way was Lewis being overly confident when crossing the Lolo trail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research and write an expository essay on the rumor/legend/fact that Thomas Jefferson had an affair and a child with his black slave.
1) What is known about this rumor now? Was it true?
2) Have the relatives of this relationship surfaced, and, if so, how much credibility can we give to their stories?
3) Jefferson was never married. Can it be determined whether he was in love with this female slave?
4) Jefferson was known as something of a womanizer. If there is little factual information to support the affair, is it likely to have been true, given Jefferson's lifestyle?
Essay Topic 2
Write a research essay about the history of syphilis in the US:
1) What are the symptoms and effects of the disease, and the prognosis in the 1800s?
2) Was there the same level of epidemic of syphilis in Europe?
3) How was it treated in Europe?
4) What was finally discovered that got syphilis under control?
5) What famous people died during that century from syphilis?
Essay Topic 3
Sacagawea's notoriety as one of the the expedition members only came about through history after she was gone. Write a narrative to examine the following:
1)What were her major contributions to the expedition?
2) Was she afforded special treatment?
3) Were her interpreter's skills used wisely? When? Could they have been better used?
4) Was the presence of her child a distraction to the expedition? Did it not create extra work in the portage process?
5) Was the identify of Cameahwait as Sacagawea's brother surprising? Why did she not leave, or stay, with him?
This section contains 1,504 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)