|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis proposed to free up the fur trade by establishing
2. Jefferson made Lewis a member of
3. Lewis left his estate to
4. The men could tell they were nearing a trading post because they saw
5. When he returned to St. Louis, Lewis wrote an extensive paper on
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that begins to finally destroy Lewis financially?
2. What mistake did Lewis make with the Blackfoot Indians with whom he was trying to make a deal?
3. Did Lewis' celebrity go to his head?
4. It seems that Lewis has had a major lapse in judgment in many respects and his behavior has become erratic. What major political mistake did he make when arranging to send Big White back to the Mandans?
5. What was Lewis' biggest failure?
6. Describe the relationship between the Corps of Discovery and the Nez Perce.
7. Why did the Captains make the dangerous decision to divide the men into five groups?
8. What was the intention behind Lewis' last voyage?
9. Why was General Clark upset with his loyal slave, York?
10. What were some of the changes the expedition experienced as they came nearer to the coast?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Coulter left the expedition to go on to explore the Yellowstone area, with Lewis' blessings.
1) What can we learn about John Coulter? Is he famous in the annals of American history for his work?
2) Did Coulter have any productive interactions with Indians in the Yellowstone country?
3) Did Coulter keep journals, and was he also a "naturalist" like Lewis?
4) Is there any recorded history of why he made such a decision?
5) What did Coulter accomplish and when/where did he die?
Essay Topic 2
Sacagawea's notoriety as one of the the expedition members only came about through history after she was gone. Write a narrative to examine the following:
1)What were her major contributions to the expedition?
2) Was she afforded special treatment?
3) Were her interpreter's skills used wisely? When? Could they have been better used?
4) Was the presence of her child a distraction to the expedition? Did it not create extra work in the portage process?
5) Was the identify of Cameahwait as Sacagawea's brother surprising? Why did she not leave, or stay, with him?
Essay Topic 3
Lewis was a Republican; Clark married into a Federalist family. In an essay, explain the differences between the two parties. Compare and contrast:
1) The parties' basic philosophies
2) Their political platforms and future goals
3) How much volatility existed between them
4) Can the parties be compared to our currently existing two parties? How?
4) Name some famous Republicans and Federalists, besides those in the book
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)