|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although successful in his public life, Lewis failed to
2. During Clark's journey to Yellowstone,
3. Opening the cache let in 1805, Lewis found that
4. The men could tell they were nearing a trading post because they saw
5. The Indians almost provoked Lewis to the point of
Short Essay Questions
1. The author speculates, in addition to other possibilities, that Lewis had a combination of malaria, manic-depression psychosis, alcoholism or some other physical ailments. Discuss what may have sent Lewis into depression at this point in his life.
2. Describe the relationship between the Corps of Discovery and the Nez Perce.
3. How do you think Lewis viewed his responsibility toward the governorship of the Louisiana Territory?
4. Does it seem odd that the Captains and their soldiers had no idea of how they would be rewarded by the government prior to their return from the expedition?
5. Discuss Meriwether Lewis' response to the fact that some of his soldiers were planning to publish their own journals of the expedition.
6. What were two of the worst problems for the expedition at Clatsop? Explain
7. What was Lewis' biggest failure?
8. How did Sacagawea lose her blue beads?
9. In what way was Lewis being overly confident when crossing the Lolo trail?
10. Describe Lewis' grand scheme for American fur trading.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an narrative essay about food and the Lewis and Clark expedition, and also speculate on the following:
1) What was principal diet of the expedition members, and why?
2) Why did they tend toward eating some foods and not others, besides the availability factors?
3) Why did they rely on purchased dried fish from the Indians, rather than catching their own fresh fish?
4) Can you think of any other foods they might have taken advantage of during sparse periods?
Essay Topic 2
Meriwether Lewis' father died when he was young and his mother remarried, changing her name to Marks.
1) Is there a genealogy of Lewis' family? Is there an organized group of "family" genealogists related to him?
2) Lewis is said to have come from royal ancestry in Europe. Research this and determine whether it is factual, and provide additional information.
3) Try to locate some information on Meriwether Lewis' father. Did he suffer from mental illness? Write an essay on his life.
Essay Topic 3
Lewis and Clark signed a detachment order in 1804 that ordered the sergeants of the group to keep their own daily journals. We know that at least two of the soldiers attempted to publish their own journals, but what became of them, and any others that were written?
Write a research essay and determine whether the lesser officers' journals were preserved and whether they were studied by historians later. If so, what are the highlights? Did they disagree with Lewis & Clark's determination regarding the Missouri vs. Marias Rivers? These would be fascinating to compare and contrast to the Captains' journals. If no information is available on them, outline where and how you researched them, and speculate as to what happened to them.
This section contains 1,463 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)