|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jefferson made Lewis a member of
2. At The Dalles, the expedition paid dearly for four horses with
3. By this time, Jefferson has retired to Monticello, and the new president is
4. By the time Lewis reaches Grinder's Inn, he seems
5. Having an Indian woman with their party signified
Essay Topic 1
Write a narrative essay on the weapons the expedition took with them. On page 85, the author describes the US Model 1803 Army rifle, and others are described throughout the story.
1) Research what was available during that time for the expedition, what they used for, how accurate they were, what distances they could cover, their weight, how they were loaded and what kind of ammunition was used.
2) Find out about the "air rifle" that Lewis used to astonish the Indians. Was there only one of these on the expedition? How did it work? Was it copied later?
3) Define and describe a blunderbuss, its purpose what replaced it as an army weapon.
Essay Topic 2
Research and write an exploratory essay on the Nez Perce Indians
1) The Nez Perce were favored by Lewis and Clark as being kind, generous and trustworthy.
2) Did the Nez Perce have any earlier history with, or prior reasons to trust the white men?
3) What was the ultimate disposition of their tribe? How did the US government deal with them? Is there a reservation? Is the tribe still in existence?
4) Research and describe the customs and traditions in the Nez Perce culture.
Essay Topic 3
Write an narrative essay about food and the Lewis and Clark expedition, and also speculate on the following:
1) What was principal diet of the expedition members, and why?
2) Why did they tend toward eating some foods and not others, besides the availability factors?
3) Why did they rely on purchased dried fish from the Indians, rather than catching their own fresh fish?
4) Can you think of any other foods they might have taken advantage of during sparse periods?
This section contains 1,932 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)