Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Winter at Fort Mandan was
2. Prior to the beginning of the journey, Jefferson issues to Lewis
3. Neither Captain took Sacagawea along to meet the Indians
4. Lewis spoke to the Shoshone chief through
5. Although he is formally educated, Meriwether Lewis returns to Virginia
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Lewis' maneuvering when he arrived in St. Louis, with respect to communicating about the expedition.
2. What caused the expedition's "portage" period to be longer than expected?
3. Discuss Meriwether Lewis' response to the fact that some of his soldiers were planning to publish their own journals of the expedition.
4. What is it that begins to finally destroy Lewis financially?
5. Why did it take so long for Lewis' keelboat to be built?
6. What were two of the worst problems for the expedition at Clatsop? Explain
7. It seems that Lewis has had a major lapse in judgment in many respects and his behavior has become erratic. What major political mistake did he make when arranging to send Big White back to the Mandans?
8. In what way was Lewis being overly confident when crossing the Lolo trail?
9. Why was Lewis angry with Drouillard and Shields after seeing a young Indian?
10. Why was Lewis desperate to get some Indians to Washington?
Essay Topic 1
Write a critical essay about Thomas Jefferson and his wild ideas of a water route to the Pacific.
1) What were Jefferson's motives? Were they mercenary? Why did he want to be the one to find the passage?
2) Do you feel Jefferson sacrificed Lewis, knowing that the odds were against his returning safely?
3) Did Jefferson desert Lewis in his time of need? Did he fight for him after he left office when his vouchers were in question?
4) Why did Jefferson lay the burden of publishing the data on Lewis personally, and later on Clark?
Essay Topic 2
Research and write an expository essay on the rumor/legend/fact that Thomas Jefferson had an affair and a child with his black slave.
1) What is known about this rumor now? Was it true?
2) Have the relatives of this relationship surfaced, and, if so, how much credibility can we give to their stories?
3) Jefferson was never married. Can it be determined whether he was in love with this female slave?
4) Jefferson was known as something of a womanizer. If there is little factual information to support the affair, is it likely to have been true, given Jefferson's lifestyle?
Essay Topic 3
Thomas Jefferson gave birth to the idea of an expedition to find the Northwest passage. Write a persuasive essay about any or all of the following:
1) Did Jefferson prove to be a fair weather friend to Lewis & Clark?
2) What did Jefferson do upon Lewis' return to help distribute his findings? Was Lewis properly credited?
3) Did Jefferson get what he wanted out of the expedition, besides the answer to his question about a waterway to the Pacific?
4) Jefferson claims to have known that Lewis had some mental illness all his life. Did he take any measures to help Lewis?
This section contains 1,354 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)