|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Among his peers, Lewis is considered
2. When he reached Louisville, Kentucky, Lewis
3. Lewis realized that he was facing sixteen miles of portage, meaning
4. Merriwether Lewis and Captain William Clark are
5. Plantation owners constantly seek additional land because
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lewis' goal in trying to make peace between the Arikaras and the Mandans? Why does he involve himself in their dispute?
2. Of what, exactly, was the "great father" trying to convince the Indians, under Jefferson's instructions?
3. Why was progress down the Ohio River so abominably slow?
4. Describe the irony in Lewis' attitude toward Native Americans and African Americans.
5. What was ironic about the government's response to the Whiskey Rebellion of 1794?
6. Did Jefferson see something special in Meriwether Lewis?
7. Discuss the punishment meted out to the two soldiers who drank whiskey while on guard duty. Was it fair?
8. Discuss the large keelboat and its journey back to St. Louis.
9. The trip through the Bitterroot Mountains is a particularly gruesome time or the expedition. Starvation, rough terrain, cold and illness forces the men to take desperate measures. What were they and why didn't the expedition turn back?
10. Why did the Shoshones hesitate to go with Lewis to meet Clark and help the expedition over the Lemhi River?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thomas Jefferson gave birth to the idea of an expedition to find the Northwest passage. Write a persuasive essay about any or all of the following:
1) Did Jefferson prove to be a fair weather friend to Lewis & Clark?
2) What did Jefferson do upon Lewis' return to help distribute his findings? Was Lewis properly credited?
3) Did Jefferson get what he wanted out of the expedition, besides the answer to his question about a waterway to the Pacific?
4) Jefferson claims to have known that Lewis had some mental illness all his life. Did he take any measures to help Lewis?
Essay Topic 2
Write a research essay about the history of syphilis in the US:
1) What are the symptoms and effects of the disease, and the prognosis in the 1800s?
2) Was there the same level of epidemic of syphilis in Europe?
3) How was it treated in Europe?
4) What was finally discovered that got syphilis under control?
5) What famous people died during that century from syphilis?
Essay Topic 3
Lewis and Clark signed a detachment order in 1804 that ordered the sergeants of the group to keep their own daily journals. We know that at least two of the soldiers attempted to publish their own journals, but what became of them, and any others that were written?
Write a research essay and determine whether the lesser officers' journals were preserved and whether they were studied by historians later. If so, what are the highlights? Did they disagree with Lewis & Clark's determination regarding the Missouri vs. Marias Rivers? These would be fascinating to compare and contrast to the Captains' journals. If no information is available on them, outline where and how you researched them, and speculate as to what happened to them.
This section contains 1,585 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)