|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis felt that meeting the Snake Indians could determine
2. At Clark's River, or Bitterroot River, the expedition met with
3. Thomas Jefferson appoints Meriweather Lewis as
4. Twisted Hair was a
5. Lewis planned ahead for meetings with Native Americans by bringing
Short Essay Questions
1. Did Jefferson see something special in Meriwether Lewis?
2. What was ironic about the government's response to the Whiskey Rebellion of 1794?
3. Why did the Shoshones hesitate to go with Lewis to meet Clark and help the expedition over the Lemhi River?
4. Why is Sacagawea's presence valuable to the expedition?
5. Describe the irony in Lewis' attitude toward Native Americans and African Americans.
6. Given that he was an educated man, how can we account for Lewis' lack of spelling ability?
7. What in Lewis' childhood may have contributed to his later accomplishments?
8. What is Lewis' goal in trying to make peace between the Arikaras and the Mandans? Why does he involve himself in their dispute?
9. Why did Jefferson appoint Lewis as his personal secretary?
10. What caused the expedition's "portage" period to be longer than expected?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lewis and Clark's original journals are priceless, invaluable items of American history.
1) Where are they today? Have they been preserved?
2) What kind of materials were they written on and with?
3) How much of the journals are missing, if any?
4) Has anyone, besides Biddle, tried to edit and rewrite them for general consumption? Why, or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write a research essay about the history of syphilis in the US:
1) What are the symptoms and effects of the disease, and the prognosis in the 1800s?
2) Was there the same level of epidemic of syphilis in Europe?
3) How was it treated in Europe?
4) What was finally discovered that got syphilis under control?
5) What famous people died during that century from syphilis?
Essay Topic 3
Write a critical essay about Thomas Jefferson and his wild ideas of a water route to the Pacific.
1) What were Jefferson's motives? Were they mercenary? Why did he want to be the one to find the passage?
2) Do you feel Jefferson sacrificed Lewis, knowing that the odds were against his returning safely?
3) Did Jefferson desert Lewis in his time of need? Did he fight for him after he left office when his vouchers were in question?
4) Why did Jefferson lay the burden of publishing the data on Lewis personally, and later on Clark?
This section contains 1,286 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)