|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sacagawea recalls the place where she was kidnapped by the Hidatsas, she
2. Clark's feet sufferred from wounds made by
3. Merriwether Lewis and Captain William Clark are
4. Lewis' attitude toward gold during this expedition was one of
5. Jefferson's interest in sending an expedition westward was to find
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Lewis' realization when he was threatened by buffalo bulls, a bear and wolverines.
2. What happened to Lewis' beloved iron-frame boat?
3. Why did Jefferson appoint Lewis as his personal secretary?
4. Why was progress down the Ohio River so abominably slow?
5. Why was it fortuitous that the group encountered the Nez Perce Indians?
6. Describe the irony in Lewis' attitude toward Native Americans and African Americans.
7. How did the expedition manage to drag its boats over land?
8. What is Lewis' plan at this point for the remainder of the trip?
9. What may have convinced Lewis and Clark that they needed to double their crew?
10. Why is Sacagawea's presence valuable to the expedition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a research essay about the history of syphilis in the US:
1) What are the symptoms and effects of the disease, and the prognosis in the 1800s?
2) Was there the same level of epidemic of syphilis in Europe?
3) How was it treated in Europe?
4) What was finally discovered that got syphilis under control?
5) What famous people died during that century from syphilis?
Essay Topic 2
Thomas Jefferson gave birth to the idea of an expedition to find the Northwest passage. Write a persuasive essay about any or all of the following:
1) Did Jefferson prove to be a fair weather friend to Lewis & Clark?
2) What did Jefferson do upon Lewis' return to help distribute his findings? Was Lewis properly credited?
3) Did Jefferson get what he wanted out of the expedition, besides the answer to his question about a waterway to the Pacific?
4) Jefferson claims to have known that Lewis had some mental illness all his life. Did he take any measures to help Lewis?
Essay Topic 3
Lewis and Clark were more famous after their deaths than during their lives. What can we learn about them this many years later?
1) Research and construct a report about all of the monuments, parks, schools and other landmarks that bear Lewis and/or Clark's names. Explain, for each, their significance.
2) In the alternative, research and report on how many of the rivers and landmarks that Lewis & Clark named still have those names. Many were changed in the years after the expedition, but some may have remained.
3) What educational insititution(s) specialize in the history of Lewis and Clark? Describe their research program and anything notable about the school.
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)