|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Jefferson's protege, Lewis had the honor of
2. Lewis and Clark wanted Indian chiefs to go to Washington so they could
3. Lewis' political leanings favor
4. Mriwether Lewis gathered his specimens by
5. Winter at Fort Mandan was
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the expedition manage to drag its boats over land?
2. What is Lewis' plan at this point for the remainder of the trip?
3. What was the primary reason for wanting to find the Shoshones at this point in the trip?
4. What was ironic about the government's response to the Whiskey Rebellion of 1794?
5. Discuss the punishment meted out to the two soldiers who drank whiskey while on guard duty. Was it fair?
6. What in Lewis' childhood may have contributed to his later accomplishments?
7. Given that he was an educated man, how can we account for Lewis' lack of spelling ability?
8. Why did Jefferson appoint Lewis as his personal secretary?
9. What caused the expedition's "portage" period to be longer than expected?
10. Why did the Shoshones hesitate to go with Lewis to meet Clark and help the expedition over the Lemhi River?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacagawea's notoriety as one of the the expedition members only came about through history after she was gone. Write a narrative to examine the following:
1)What were her major contributions to the expedition?
2) Was she afforded special treatment?
3) Were her interpreter's skills used wisely? When? Could they have been better used?
4) Was the presence of her child a distraction to the expedition? Did it not create extra work in the portage process?
5) Was the identify of Cameahwait as Sacagawea's brother surprising? Why did she not leave, or stay, with him?
Essay Topic 2
Meriwether Lewis' father died when he was young and his mother remarried, changing her name to Marks.
1) Is there a genealogy of Lewis' family? Is there an organized group of "family" genealogists related to him?
2) Lewis is said to have come from royal ancestry in Europe. Research this and determine whether it is factual, and provide additional information.
3) Try to locate some information on Meriwether Lewis' father. Did he suffer from mental illness? Write an essay on his life.
Essay Topic 3
Lewis and Clark witness a Sioux "scalp dance" on the upper Missouri.
1) Why was the scalp dance being performed at this time? What did it mean?
2) Did the Sioux find some kind of spiritual triumph in capturing prisoners of other tribes? What was the Sioux's philosophy regarding other tribes? Was their priority their land, hunting grounds, horses, or just power? How could another tribe offend them enough to get scalped?
3) How many bands, or different groups of Sioux were in the country at that time?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)