Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Winter at Fort Mandan was
2. Prior to the beginning of the journey, Jefferson issues to Lewis
3. Neither Captain took Sacagawea along to meet the Indians
4. Lewis spoke to the Shoshone chief through
5. Although he is formally educated, Meriwether Lewis returns to Virginia
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Lewis' maneuvering when he arrived in St. Louis, with respect to communicating about the expedition.
2. What caused the expedition's "portage" period to be longer than expected?
3. Discuss Meriwether Lewis' response to the fact that some of his soldiers were planning to publish their own journals of the expedition.
4. What is it that begins to finally destroy Lewis financially?
5. Why did it take so long for Lewis' keelboat to be built?
6. What were two of the worst problems for the expedition at Clatsop? Explain
7. It seems that Lewis has had a major lapse in judgment in many respects and his behavior has become erratic. What major political mistake did he make when arranging to send Big White back to the Mandans?
8. In what way was Lewis being overly confident when crossing the Lolo trail?
9. Why was Lewis angry with Drouillard and Shields after seeing a young Indian?
10. Why was Lewis desperate to get some Indians to Washington?
Research and write an expository essay on the rumor/legend/fact that Thomas Jefferson had an affair and a child with his black slave.
1) What is known about this rumor now? Was it true?
2) Have the relatives of this relationship surfaced, and, if so, how much credibility can we give to their stories?
3) Jefferson was never married. Can it be determined whether he was in love with this female slave?
4) Jefferson was known as something of a womanizer. If there is little factual information to support the affair, is it likely to have been true, given Jefferson's lifestyle?
John Coulter left the expedition to go on to explore the Yellowstone area, with Lewis' blessings.
1) What can we learn about John Coulter? Is he famous in the annals of American history for his work?
2) Did Coulter have any productive interactions with Indians in the Yellowstone country?
3) Did Coulter keep journals, and was he also a "naturalist" like Lewis?
4) Is there any recorded history of why he made such a decision?
5) What did Coulter accomplish and when/where did he die?
Write a research essay about the history of syphilis in the US:
1) What are the symptoms and effects of the disease, and the prognosis in the 1800s?
2) Was there the same level of epidemic of syphilis in Europe?
3) How was it treated in Europe?
4) What was finally discovered that got syphilis under control?
5) What famous people died during that century from syphilis?
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)