|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Proceeding downstream on wet clay, the party found the ground to be extremely
2. The difference between a canoe and a pirogue is that
3. Because Lewis' iron-frame boat failed, Clark directed the men to
4. Meriwether Lewis and Thomas Jefferson's families have this in common.
5. As Lewis and his small scouting party ascended the north river bank, they were plagued by
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it fortuitous that the group encountered the Nez Perce Indians?
2. Did Jefferson see something special in Meriwether Lewis?
3. Why did Jefferson appoint Lewis as his personal secretary?
4. Why were the Captains' gifts considered insufficient by the Teton Sioux Indians?
5. Discuss Lewis' mental meanderings on his 32nd birthday.
6. What is Lewis' goal in trying to make peace between the Arikaras and the Mandans? Why does he involve himself in their dispute?
7. How did the expedition manage to drag its boats over land?
8. Discuss the perception of the speed of travel in Jefferson's time in 1801.
9. Why was progress down the Ohio River so abominably slow?
10. What is Lewis' plan at this point for the remainder of the trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a research essay about the history of syphilis in the US:
1) What are the symptoms and effects of the disease, and the prognosis in the 1800s?
2) Was there the same level of epidemic of syphilis in Europe?
3) How was it treated in Europe?
4) What was finally discovered that got syphilis under control?
5) What famous people died during that century from syphilis?
Essay Topic 2
Stephen Ambrose's footnotes could comprise a story by themselves. Write a descriptive essay, addressing one or two of the interesting facts he has noted, as well as the supportive information for them, which is not included in the actual text of the book.
1) Page 234 describes the brand Lewis applied to the expedition's horses that was found many years later. Try to find an image of it and write a short essay about this part of the journey, and how the horses were retrieved.
2. The soldier, Newman, who was court martialed and sent back to St. Louis is mentioned on page 209. Find additional information about Newman and what he did after returning to St. Louis.
3. On page 320, there is added information about Lewis' mercury cure for syphilis. Research and write about this "cure," how and when it was discovered, and its true effects on the disease.
Essay Topic 3
Lewis and Clark witness a Sioux "scalp dance" on the upper Missouri.
1) Why was the scalp dance being performed at this time? What did it mean?
2) Did the Sioux find some kind of spiritual triumph in capturing prisoners of other tribes? What was the Sioux's philosophy regarding other tribes? Was their priority their land, hunting grounds, horses, or just power? How could another tribe offend them enough to get scalped?
3) How many bands, or different groups of Sioux were in the country at that time?
This section contains 1,343 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)