|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis thought that buffalo hair might produce
2. Among his peers, Lewis is considered
3. Meriwether Lewis named Marias River after
4. Many outlying Mandan villages are abandoned due to
5. On some of the worst days of the expedition the men were forced to
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the irony in Lewis' attitude toward Native Americans and African Americans.
2. What was ironic about the government's response to the Whiskey Rebellion of 1794?
3. What is Lewis' plan at this point for the remainder of the trip?
4. Why did Jefferson appoint Lewis as his personal secretary?
5. Discuss Lewis' mental meanderings on his 32nd birthday.
6. Of what, exactly, was the "great father" trying to convince the Indians, under Jefferson's instructions?
7. Discuss the perception of the speed of travel in Jefferson's time in 1801.
8. The trip through the Bitterroot Mountains is a particularly gruesome time or the expedition. Starvation, rough terrain, cold and illness forces the men to take desperate measures. What were they and why didn't the expedition turn back?
9. Why did it take so long for Lewis' keelboat to be built?
10. Explain Lewis' realization when he was threatened by buffalo bulls, a bear and wolverines.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lewis and Clark witness a Sioux "scalp dance" on the upper Missouri.
1) Why was the scalp dance being performed at this time? What did it mean?
2) Did the Sioux find some kind of spiritual triumph in capturing prisoners of other tribes? What was the Sioux's philosophy regarding other tribes? Was their priority their land, hunting grounds, horses, or just power? How could another tribe offend them enough to get scalped?
3) How many bands, or different groups of Sioux were in the country at that time?
Essay Topic 2
Write an exploratory essay about the esteemed American Philosophical Society, and try to answer the following questions:
1) Who established it, and when
2) Its purpose
3) Who belonged to it of note
4) What it accomplished or contributed
Essay Topic 3
How would it have influenced Meriwether Lewis if he could have seen into the future? Write an informal essay about what changed after his death, such as.
1) Jefferson did not realize that the means of transportation would become faster and more reliable than travel by horse.
2) He did not know that Jefferson would expect him to take complete responsibility for publishing his scientific journals.
3) Some of Jefferson's wild inventions would become reality.
4) The country actually would become one nation under one government.
5) The Indians would be subdued and all but wiped out by the government.
6) There would be many thousands of Americans moving west and settling.
7) Britain and France would no longer occupy parts of America.
This section contains 1,382 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)