Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Winter at Fort Mandan was
2. Prior to the beginning of the journey, Jefferson issues to Lewis
3. Neither Captain took Sacagawea along to meet the Indians
4. Lewis spoke to the Shoshone chief through
5. Although he is formally educated, Meriwether Lewis returns to Virginia
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Lewis' maneuvering when he arrived in St. Louis, with respect to communicating about the expedition.
2. What caused the expedition's "portage" period to be longer than expected?
3. Discuss Meriwether Lewis' response to the fact that some of his soldiers were planning to publish their own journals of the expedition.
4. What is it that begins to finally destroy Lewis financially?
5. Why did it take so long for Lewis' keelboat to be built?
6. What were two of the worst problems for the expedition at Clatsop? Explain
7. It seems that Lewis has had a major lapse in judgment in many respects and his behavior has become erratic. What major political mistake did he make when arranging to send Big White back to the Mandans?
8. In what way was Lewis being overly confident when crossing the Lolo trail?
9. Why was Lewis angry with Drouillard and Shields after seeing a young Indian?
10. Why was Lewis desperate to get some Indians to Washington?
Essay Topic 1
Meriwether Lewis' father died when he was young and his mother remarried, changing her name to Marks.
1) Is there a genealogy of Lewis' family? Is there an organized group of "family" genealogists related to him?
2) Lewis is said to have come from royal ancestry in Europe. Research this and determine whether it is factual, and provide additional information.
3) Try to locate some information on Meriwether Lewis' father. Did he suffer from mental illness? Write an essay on his life.
Essay Topic 2
Lewis and Clark were more famous after their deaths than during their lives. What can we learn about them this many years later?
1) Research and construct a report about all of the monuments, parks, schools and other landmarks that bear Lewis and/or Clark's names. Explain, for each, their significance.
2) In the alternative, research and report on how many of the rivers and landmarks that Lewis & Clark named still have those names. Many were changed in the years after the expedition, but some may have remained.
3) What educational insititution(s) specialize in the history of Lewis and Clark? Describe their research program and anything notable about the school.
Essay Topic 3
Write an exploratory essay about the esteemed American Philosophical Society, and try to answer the following questions:
1) Who established it, and when
2) Its purpose
3) Who belonged to it of note
4) What it accomplished or contributed
This section contains 1,287 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)