|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis was under the assumption that the Shoshones would want to trade horses for
2. To follow the large keelboats up the river, the expedition made use of
3. The strange gunshot-type noise that came regularly from the northwest
4. Lewis spoke to the Shoshone chief through
5. Jefferson undertook the preparation of
Short Essay Questions
1. What in Lewis' childhood may have contributed to his later accomplishments?
2. How did the expedition manage to drag its boats over land?
3. Why was Lewis angry with Drouillard and Shields after seeing a young Indian?
4. Why did the Shoshones hesitate to go with Lewis to meet Clark and help the expedition over the Lemhi River?
5. What is Lewis' goal in trying to make peace between the Arikaras and the Mandans? Why does he involve himself in their dispute?
6. Given that he was an educated man, how can we account for Lewis' lack of spelling ability?
7. Discuss the perception of the speed of travel in Jefferson's time in 1801.
8. What is Lewis' plan at this point for the remainder of the trip?
9. Describe the irony in Lewis' attitude toward Native Americans and African Americans.
10. The trip through the Bitterroot Mountains is a particularly gruesome time or the expedition. Starvation, rough terrain, cold and illness forces the men to take desperate measures. What were they and why didn't the expedition turn back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lewis and Clark witness a Sioux "scalp dance" on the upper Missouri.
1) Why was the scalp dance being performed at this time? What did it mean?
2) Did the Sioux find some kind of spiritual triumph in capturing prisoners of other tribes? What was the Sioux's philosophy regarding other tribes? Was their priority their land, hunting grounds, horses, or just power? How could another tribe offend them enough to get scalped?
3) How many bands, or different groups of Sioux were in the country at that time?
Essay Topic 2
Lewis was a Republican; Clark married into a Federalist family. In an essay, explain the differences between the two parties. Compare and contrast:
1) The parties' basic philosophies
2) Their political platforms and future goals
3) How much volatility existed between them
4) Can the parties be compared to our currently existing two parties? How?
4) Name some famous Republicans and Federalists, besides those in the book
Essay Topic 3
Thomas Jefferson gave birth to the idea of an expedition to find the Northwest passage. Write a persuasive essay about any or all of the following:
1) Did Jefferson prove to be a fair weather friend to Lewis & Clark?
2) What did Jefferson do upon Lewis' return to help distribute his findings? Was Lewis properly credited?
3) Did Jefferson get what he wanted out of the expedition, besides the answer to his question about a waterway to the Pacific?
4) Jefferson claims to have known that Lewis had some mental illness all his life. Did he take any measures to help Lewis?
This section contains 1,468 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)