|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to the enlisted men, the group included York, who was
2. Clark's attitude toward hostile Indian tribes was
3. Lewis learns from Cameahwait that the Nez Perce Indians
4. When the funds were appropriate from Congress for the expedition, Jefferson undertook to
5. Even as a private, Lewis is accepted among military officers because
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Jefferson so interested in exploring the West?
2. What is Lewis' plan at this point for the remainder of the trip?
3. How did the expedition manage to drag its boats over land?
4. Explain Lewis' realization when he was threatened by buffalo bulls, a bear and wolverines.
5. Why was progress down the Ohio River so abominably slow?
6. What may have convinced Lewis and Clark that they needed to double their crew?
7. Why is Sacagawea's presence valuable to the expedition?
8. What was ironic about the government's response to the Whiskey Rebellion of 1794?
9. Discuss the punishment meted out to the two soldiers who drank whiskey while on guard duty. Was it fair?
10. Of what, exactly, was the "great father" trying to convince the Indians, under Jefferson's instructions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lewis and Clark were more famous after their deaths than during their lives. What can we learn about them this many years later?
1) Research and construct a report about all of the monuments, parks, schools and other landmarks that bear Lewis and/or Clark's names. Explain, for each, their significance.
2) In the alternative, research and report on how many of the rivers and landmarks that Lewis & Clark named still have those names. Many were changed in the years after the expedition, but some may have remained.
3) What educational insititution(s) specialize in the history of Lewis and Clark? Describe their research program and anything notable about the school.
Essay Topic 2
How would it have influenced Meriwether Lewis if he could have seen into the future? Write an informal essay about what changed after his death, such as.
1) Jefferson did not realize that the means of transportation would become faster and more reliable than travel by horse.
2) He did not know that Jefferson would expect him to take complete responsibility for publishing his scientific journals.
3) Some of Jefferson's wild inventions would become reality.
4) The country actually would become one nation under one government.
5) The Indians would be subdued and all but wiped out by the government.
6) There would be many thousands of Americans moving west and settling.
7) Britain and France would no longer occupy parts of America.
Essay Topic 3
Thomas Jefferson gave birth to the idea of an expedition to find the Northwest passage. Write a persuasive essay about any or all of the following:
1) Did Jefferson prove to be a fair weather friend to Lewis & Clark?
2) What did Jefferson do upon Lewis' return to help distribute his findings? Was Lewis properly credited?
3) Did Jefferson get what he wanted out of the expedition, besides the answer to his question about a waterway to the Pacific?
4) Jefferson claims to have known that Lewis had some mental illness all his life. Did he take any measures to help Lewis?
This section contains 1,314 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)