|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because Lewis' iron-frame boat failed, Clark directed the men to
2. During Jefferson's time, Americans were obsessed with the concept of
3. Lewis was instructed by Sacagawea that, in Shoshone, "tab-ba-bone" meant
4. France, having transferred the Louisiana Territory to the US, allows the expedition to
5. Lewis and Clark wanted Indian chiefs to go to Washington so they could
Short Essay Questions
1. What in Lewis' childhood may have contributed to his later accomplishments?
2. Why did the Shoshones hesitate to go with Lewis to meet Clark and help the expedition over the Lemhi River?
3. Discuss the large keelboat and its journey back to St. Louis.
4. Describe the irony in Lewis' attitude toward Native Americans and African Americans.
5. Is it obvious why Clark's commission stayed that of lieutenant and not captain? How did that affect the two leaders?
6. How did the expedition manage to drag its boats over land?
7. Why were the Captains' gifts considered insufficient by the Teton Sioux Indians?
8. Why was Lewis angry with Drouillard and Shields after seeing a young Indian?
9. Why did it take so long for Lewis' keelboat to be built?
10. The trip through the Bitterroot Mountains is a particularly gruesome time or the expedition. Starvation, rough terrain, cold and illness forces the men to take desperate measures. What were they and why didn't the expedition turn back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a research essay about the history of syphilis in the US:
1) What are the symptoms and effects of the disease, and the prognosis in the 1800s?
2) Was there the same level of epidemic of syphilis in Europe?
3) How was it treated in Europe?
4) What was finally discovered that got syphilis under control?
5) What famous people died during that century from syphilis?
Essay Topic 2
Meriwether Lewis and William Clark were very close friends, but had very different personalities and backgrounds. Compare and contrast:
1) How differently did the two men grow up?
2) What did they have in common?
3) How did their leadership habits mesh or clash?
4) Were they a good team?
Essay Topic 3
How would it have influenced Meriwether Lewis if he could have seen into the future? Write an informal essay about what changed after his death, such as.
1) Jefferson did not realize that the means of transportation would become faster and more reliable than travel by horse.
2) He did not know that Jefferson would expect him to take complete responsibility for publishing his scientific journals.
3) Some of Jefferson's wild inventions would become reality.
4) The country actually would become one nation under one government.
5) The Indians would be subdued and all but wiped out by the government.
6) There would be many thousands of Americans moving west and settling.
7) Britain and France would no longer occupy parts of America.
This section contains 1,357 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)