Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Winter at Fort Mandan was
2. Prior to the beginning of the journey, Jefferson issues to Lewis
3. Neither Captain took Sacagawea along to meet the Indians
4. Lewis spoke to the Shoshone chief through
5. Although he is formally educated, Meriwether Lewis returns to Virginia
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Lewis' maneuvering when he arrived in St. Louis, with respect to communicating about the expedition.
2. What caused the expedition's "portage" period to be longer than expected?
3. Discuss Meriwether Lewis' response to the fact that some of his soldiers were planning to publish their own journals of the expedition.
4. What is it that begins to finally destroy Lewis financially?
5. Why did it take so long for Lewis' keelboat to be built?
6. What were two of the worst problems for the expedition at Clatsop? Explain
7. It seems that Lewis has had a major lapse in judgment in many respects and his behavior has become erratic. What major political mistake did he make when arranging to send Big White back to the Mandans?
8. In what way was Lewis being overly confident when crossing the Lolo trail?
9. Why was Lewis angry with Drouillard and Shields after seeing a young Indian?
10. Why was Lewis desperate to get some Indians to Washington?
Essay Topic 1
Research and write an expository essay on the rumor/legend/fact that Thomas Jefferson had an affair and a child with his black slave.
1) What is known about this rumor now? Was it true?
2) Have the relatives of this relationship surfaced, and, if so, how much credibility can we give to their stories?
3) Jefferson was never married. Can it be determined whether he was in love with this female slave?
4) Jefferson was known as something of a womanizer. If there is little factual information to support the affair, is it likely to have been true, given Jefferson's lifestyle?
Essay Topic 2
Lewis was a Republican; Clark married into a Federalist family. In an essay, explain the differences between the two parties. Compare and contrast:
1) The parties' basic philosophies
2) Their political platforms and future goals
3) How much volatility existed between them
4) Can the parties be compared to our currently existing two parties? How?
4) Name some famous Republicans and Federalists, besides those in the book
Essay Topic 3
Meriwether Lewis' father died when he was young and his mother remarried, changing her name to Marks.
1) Is there a genealogy of Lewis' family? Is there an organized group of "family" genealogists related to him?
2) Lewis is said to have come from royal ancestry in Europe. Research this and determine whether it is factual, and provide additional information.
3) Try to locate some information on Meriwether Lewis' father. Did he suffer from mental illness? Write an essay on his life.
This section contains 1,304 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)