|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis' political leanings favor
2. In preparation for the expedition, Lewis oversees the construction of
3. When he reached Louisville, Kentucky, Lewis
4. Lewis hoped that the Indians would accept
5. The keelboat was replaced by pirogues and canoes at this point in the journey because
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Meriwether Lewis' response to the fact that some of his soldiers were planning to publish their own journals of the expedition.
2. Describe the relationship between the Corps of Discovery and the Nez Perce.
3. What was the intention behind Lewis' last voyage?
4. Why did it take so long for Lewis' keelboat to be built?
5. What in Lewis' childhood may have contributed to his later accomplishments?
6. What was the primary reason for wanting to find the Shoshones at this point in the trip?
7. Why was it fortuitous that the group encountered the Nez Perce Indians?
8. What is Lewis' plan at this point for the remainder of the trip?
9. Why did the Shoshones hesitate to go with Lewis to meet Clark and help the expedition over the Lemhi River?
10. Is it obvious why Clark's commission stayed that of lieutenant and not captain? How did that affect the two leaders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lewis and Clark witness a Sioux "scalp dance" on the upper Missouri.
1) Why was the scalp dance being performed at this time? What did it mean?
2) Did the Sioux find some kind of spiritual triumph in capturing prisoners of other tribes? What was the Sioux's philosophy regarding other tribes? Was their priority their land, hunting grounds, horses, or just power? How could another tribe offend them enough to get scalped?
3) How many bands, or different groups of Sioux were in the country at that time?
Essay Topic 2
Write an narrative essay about food and the Lewis and Clark expedition, and also speculate on the following:
1) What was principal diet of the expedition members, and why?
2) Why did they tend toward eating some foods and not others, besides the availability factors?
3) Why did they rely on purchased dried fish from the Indians, rather than catching their own fresh fish?
4) Can you think of any other foods they might have taken advantage of during sparse periods?
Essay Topic 3
Write an exploratory essay about the esteemed American Philosophical Society, and try to answer the following questions:
1) Who established it, and when
2) Its purpose
3) Who belonged to it of note
4) What it accomplished or contributed
This section contains 2,839 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)