|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Winter at Fort Mandan was
2. Lewis learns from Cameahwait that the Nez Perce Indians
3. In the Spring at Fort Mandan, Lewis felt that the expedition was really
4. The primary means of overland transportation in the 1700s was
5. The Shoshones removed their moccasins to smoke with Lewis, indicating
Short Essay Questions
1. What may Lewis have been talking about when Mrs. Grinder heard him taking to himself like a lawyer?
2. What was the intention behind Lewis' last voyage?
3. Why was progress down the Ohio River so abominably slow?
4. Discuss the punishment meted out to the two soldiers who drank whiskey while on guard duty. Was it fair?
5. Why was General Clark upset with his loyal slave, York?
6. Of what, exactly, was the "great father" trying to convince the Indians, under Jefferson's instructions?
7. What is it that begins to finally destroy Lewis financially?
8. Why was Jefferson so interested in exploring the West?
9. What is Lewis' goal in trying to make peace between the Arikaras and the Mandans? Why does he involve himself in their dispute?
10. Did Lewis' celebrity go to his head?
Essay Topic 1
Write a research essay about the history of syphilis in the US:
1) What are the symptoms and effects of the disease, and the prognosis in the 1800s?
2) Was there the same level of epidemic of syphilis in Europe?
3) How was it treated in Europe?
4) What was finally discovered that got syphilis under control?
5) What famous people died during that century from syphilis?
Essay Topic 2
Meriwether Lewis' father died when he was young and his mother remarried, changing her name to Marks.
1) Is there a genealogy of Lewis' family? Is there an organized group of "family" genealogists related to him?
2) Lewis is said to have come from royal ancestry in Europe. Research this and determine whether it is factual, and provide additional information.
3) Try to locate some information on Meriwether Lewis' father. Did he suffer from mental illness? Write an essay on his life.
Essay Topic 3
Lewis and Clark were more famous after their deaths than during their lives. What can we learn about them this many years later?
1) Research and construct a report about all of the monuments, parks, schools and other landmarks that bear Lewis and/or Clark's names. Explain, for each, their significance.
2) In the alternative, research and report on how many of the rivers and landmarks that Lewis & Clark named still have those names. Many were changed in the years after the expedition, but some may have remained.
3) What educational insititution(s) specialize in the history of Lewis and Clark? Describe their research program and anything notable about the school.
This section contains 2,792 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)