|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The keelboat was replaced by pirogues and canoes at this point in the journey because
2. Lewis was under the assumption that the Shoshones would want to trade horses for
3. Lewis travels extensively through the western frontiers in his position as
4. The strange gunshot-type noise that came regularly from the northwest
5. Winter at Fort Mandan was
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lewis' goal in trying to make peace between the Arikaras and the Mandans? Why does he involve himself in their dispute?
2. How did the expedition manage to drag its boats over land?
3. Why did Jefferson appoint Lewis as his personal secretary?
4. What in Lewis' childhood may have contributed to his later accomplishments?
5. What was ironic about the government's response to the Whiskey Rebellion of 1794?
6. Did Jefferson see something special in Meriwether Lewis?
7. Was Sacagawea treated with the respect she was due?
8. Why did it take so long for Lewis' keelboat to be built?
9. Why was it fortuitous that the group encountered the Nez Perce Indians?
10. Why is Sacagawea's presence valuable to the expedition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research and write an expository essay on the rumor/legend/fact that Thomas Jefferson had an affair and a child with his black slave.
1) What is known about this rumor now? Was it true?
2) Have the relatives of this relationship surfaced, and, if so, how much credibility can we give to their stories?
3) Jefferson was never married. Can it be determined whether he was in love with this female slave?
4) Jefferson was known as something of a womanizer. If there is little factual information to support the affair, is it likely to have been true, given Jefferson's lifestyle?
Essay Topic 2
Meriwether Lewis and William Clark were very close friends, but had very different personalities and backgrounds. Compare and contrast:
1) How differently did the two men grow up?
2) What did they have in common?
3) How did their leadership habits mesh or clash?
4) Were they a good team?
Essay Topic 3
How would it have influenced Meriwether Lewis if he could have seen into the future? Write an informal essay about what changed after his death, such as.
1) Jefferson did not realize that the means of transportation would become faster and more reliable than travel by horse.
2) He did not know that Jefferson would expect him to take complete responsibility for publishing his scientific journals.
3) Some of Jefferson's wild inventions would become reality.
4) The country actually would become one nation under one government.
5) The Indians would be subdued and all but wiped out by the government.
6) There would be many thousands of Americans moving west and settling.
7) Britain and France would no longer occupy parts of America.
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)