|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rather than the expected horses for their food, below The Dalles the expedition found
(a) Only dogs
(b) Only dried fish
(c) Only vegetation
(d) Only beaver
2. One of the pleasures the expedition encountered was
(a) The Indian guides' sense of humor
(b) The abundance of Buffalo at Lolo River
(c) The hot springs at Lolo
(d) The flat, easy trails through the mountains
3. The Eulachon, which the Clatsops sold to the expedition were
(a) Crabs found in the sand
(b) Sea anemones
(c) Seven-inch fish
(d) Mussels pried from rocks
4. Jefferson made Lewis a member of
(a) The Audobon Society
(b) The John Birch Society
(c) The Harvard Botany Society
(d) The American Philosophical Society
5. The primary industry in St. Louis is associated with
(a) Manufacture of weapons
(b) The production of wheat
(c) Boating goods up the Missouri
(d) Production of trinkets for Indian trade
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon Lewis' death, the expedition journals fell into the hands of
2. The men could tell they were nearing a trading post because they saw
3. Meriwether Lewis may have misused public funds by
4. The Captains try to arrange an agreement for the Nez Perce to
5. Lewis proposed to free up the fur trade by establishing
Short Essay Questions
1. Can we ascribe any meaning to soldiers giving Captain Clark presents for Christmas, and no mention of presents for Lewis?
2. How did Sacagawea lose her blue beads?
3. As governor of the Louisiana Territory, Lewis was in over his head. How did Lewis fail in his job as governor?
4. What were two of the worst problems for the expedition at Clatsop? Explain
5. Describe Lewis' desperate act in the spring of 1806.
6. Lewis experiences pain that far exceeds any he has been through on the trip thus far. Describe the incident.
7. What were some of the changes the expedition experienced as they came nearer to the coast?
8. The author speculates, in addition to other possibilities, that Lewis had a combination of malaria, manic-depression psychosis, alcoholism or some other physical ailments. Discuss what may have sent Lewis into depression at this point in his life.
9. Explain Lewis' maneuvering when he arrived in St. Louis, with respect to communicating about the expedition.
10. How do you think Lewis viewed his responsibility toward the governorship of the Louisiana Territory?
This section contains 1,398 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)