|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Unlike the coastal Chinook Indians, the Walla-Walla Indians prove to be
(a) Ready to assimilate
(b) Taller and meaner
(c) Independent and healthy
(d) Trustworthy and kind
2. Realizing they had to have a guide through the mountains, the party
(a) Turned back and waited
(b) Waited for Cut Nose's guides
(c) Hired a Blackfoot boy
(d) Turned north looking for Nez Perce
3. Lewis imagined a situation of trade which would allow
(a) The Indians to remain on their lands
(b) Forts to house Americans and Indians
(c) Americans to be hosted by tribal leaders
(d) Indians to travel freely to Washington
4. One of the most annoying traits of the Chinook Indians was
(a) Their propensity for thieving
(b) Their inability to understand English
(c) Their grandstanding of their hunting talents
(d) Their refusal to leave the premises
5. Lewis and Clark and Clark's wife planned to share a house in
(a) St. Louis
Short Answer Questions
1. Meriwether Lewis moved to Philadelphia with the intention of
2. Captain Clark, unlike Lewis,
3. By this time, Jefferson has retired to Monticello, and the new president is
4. Lewis proposed that all the furs in the northwest could be
5. Lewis caught an illness from
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the changes the expedition experienced as they came nearer to the coast?
2. Does it seem odd that the Captains and their soldiers had no idea of how they would be rewarded by the government prior to their return from the expedition?
3. Explain Lewis' maneuvering when he arrived in St. Louis, with respect to communicating about the expedition.
4. As governor of the Louisiana Territory, Lewis was in over his head. How did Lewis fail in his job as governor?
5. Can we ascribe any meaning to soldiers giving Captain Clark presents for Christmas, and no mention of presents for Lewis?
6. Did Lewis' celebrity go to his head?
7. Discuss Meriwether Lewis' response to the fact that some of his soldiers were planning to publish their own journals of the expedition.
8. Why did the Captains make the dangerous decision to divide the men into five groups?
9. In what area does the author feel Lewis' greatest talents had lain?
10. What was Lewis' biggest failure?
This section contains 1,347 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)