|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On his journey to Washington, Lewis wrote to Madison and expressed that he was
(a) Enjoying being governor of Louisiana Territory
(b) Confident his drafts would be approved
(c) Afraid his illness might overtake him soon
(d) Bringing duplicates of his journals
2. Although successful in his public life, Lewis failed to
(a) Be a good brother and son
(b) Keep friends for any length of time
(c) Find a marital relationship
(d) Communicate with his family
3. The Captains try to arrange an agreement for the Nez Perce to
(a) Trade their horses with the Blackfoot
(b) Move to the eastern side of the Continental Divide
(c) Give up a portion of their horses
(d) Pay more respect to Twisted Hair
4. In an unfortunate hunting incident, Meriwether Lewis is accidentally
(a) Lost in the plains
(b) Shot in the buttocks
(c) Caught in quicksand
(d) Shot in the arm
5. The history of fur trade in America was one of
(a) Overtrapping and moving west
(b) Bickering over control
(c) Constant renewable resources
(d) A constant effort to disempower the Indian
Short Answer Questions
1. Publication of Lewis' journals would prove to be
2. Cut Nose planned to send two guides to the expedition to help them get to
3. Upon Lewis' death, the expedition journals fell into the hands of
4. Having an Indian woman with their party signified
5. Lewis felt that within ten years, Americans would
Short Essay Questions
1. What were two of the worst problems for the expedition at Clatsop? Explain
2. What may Lewis have been talking about when Mrs. Grinder heard him taking to himself like a lawyer?
3. In what way was Lewis being overly confident when crossing the Lolo trail?
4. Discuss Lewis' varied capabilities that made him the perfect leader for this journey.
5. How did Sacagawea lose her blue beads?
6. Discuss Meriwether Lewis' response to the fact that some of his soldiers were planning to publish their own journals of the expedition.
7. Did Lewis' celebrity go to his head?
8. As governor of the Louisiana Territory, Lewis was in over his head. How did Lewis fail in his job as governor?
9. In what area does the author feel Lewis' greatest talents had lain?
10. Lewis experiences pain that far exceeds any he has been through on the trip thus far. Describe the incident.
This section contains 1,326 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)