|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the winter of 1807-1808, for eight months Meriwether Lewis
(a) Was busy and productive
(b) Was incognito
(c) Was writing in his journals
(d) Was living in the country
2. By this time, Jefferson has retired to Monticello, and the new president is
3. Ironically, Jefferson told visiting Indians that
(a) They could have their own nations
(b) No wrong would ever be done to them
(c) Their goods were worth more than ours
(d) We were at their service
4. Of Lewis' many talents, his weakness lay in
5. Lewis' first attempt at suicide was
(a) A false alarm
(b) A misfire
(c) A call for help
Short Answer Questions
1. The Captains try to arrange an agreement for the Nez Perce to
2. Having an Indian woman with their party signified
3. Clark was appointed as brigadier general of militia, as well as
4. While Lewis worked on his drawings and descriptions of plants and animals, Clark worked on
5. Lewis proposed that all the furs in the northwest could be
Short Essay Questions
1. What were two of the worst problems for the expedition at Clatsop? Explain
2. How did Sacagawea lose her blue beads?
3. Why did the Captains make the dangerous decision to divide the men into five groups?
4. What may Lewis have been talking about when Mrs. Grinder heard him taking to himself like a lawyer?
5. Did Lewis' celebrity go to his head?
6. What mistake did Lewis make with the Blackfoot Indians with whom he was trying to make a deal?
7. It seems that Lewis has had a major lapse in judgment in many respects and his behavior has become erratic. What major political mistake did he make when arranging to send Big White back to the Mandans?
8. Describe Lewis' desperate act in the spring of 1806.
9. Why was Lewis desperate to get some Indians to Washington?
10. The author speculates, in addition to other possibilities, that Lewis had a combination of malaria, manic-depression psychosis, alcoholism or some other physical ailments. Discuss what may have sent Lewis into depression at this point in his life.
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)