|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Spanish were concerned that because of Lewis & Clark's expedition,
(a) They would lose control of their gold and silver mining
(b) They would lose their fur trading monopoly
(c) Americans would begin sailing to Spain
(d) They would be forced into making a deal with the US
2. Government officials began to pester Lewis over
(a) The amount of the drafts presented for payment
(b) The slowness in getting his manuscripts published
(c) The unnecessary supplies he had purchased
(d) The personal time he had charged for
3. Two of the group stayed behind with the Mandans. They were
(a) The Field brothers
(b) Sacagawea and Charbonneau
(c) Dickson and Hancock
(d) John Colter and Captain Clark
4. Jefferson did not send a Navy vessel to retrieve the expedition because
(a) He felt it was too expensive
(b) The Navy refused
(c) There were none available
(d) He wanted them to explore as they returned
5. Captain Clark, unlike Lewis,
(a) Married his childhood sweetheart
(b) Married his first cousin
(c) Fell in love and married
(d) Had several children out of wedlock
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis proposed that all the furs in the northwest could be
2. By this time, Jefferson has retired to Monticello, and the new president is
3. Having an Indian woman with their party signified
4. Lewis' first attempt at suicide was
5. The base of Lewis's proposed trading plan with Canton would be
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was General Clark upset with his loyal slave, York?
2. Why did the Captains make the dangerous decision to divide the men into five groups?
3. Lewis experiences pain that far exceeds any he has been through on the trip thus far. Describe the incident.
4. Describe Lewis' desperate act in the spring of 1806.
5. What were some of the changes the expedition experienced as they came nearer to the coast?
6. Why was Lewis desperate to get some Indians to Washington?
7. What was the intention behind Lewis' last voyage?
8. Explain Lewis' maneuvering when he arrived in St. Louis, with respect to communicating about the expedition.
9. As governor of the Louisiana Territory, Lewis was in over his head. How did Lewis fail in his job as governor?
10. Describe the relationship between the Corps of Discovery and the Nez Perce.
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)