|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of Lewis' many talents, his weakness lay in
2. One of the pleasures the expedition encountered was
(a) The Indian guides' sense of humor
(b) The flat, easy trails through the mountains
(c) The abundance of Buffalo at Lolo River
(d) The hot springs at Lolo
3. Captain Lewis has his doubts about Jefferson's hope to
(a) Incorporate Indians into the body politic
(b) Learn about Western wildlife
(c) Pick the men up by ship
(d) Bring Indian chiefs to Washington
4. Although Lewis had become more productive in St. Louis,
(a) He suffered from anxiety
(b) His old wound was bothering him
(c) His behavior had become erratic
(d) He was healthier than ever
5. The history of fur trade in America was one of
(a) Constant renewable resources
(b) Bickering over control
(c) A constant effort to disempower the Indian
(d) Overtrapping and moving west
Short Answer Questions
1. At 33-years-old, Lewis had become
2. Lewis felt deeply betrayed by the government's
3. Lewis left his estate to
4. The men could tell they were nearing a trading post because they saw
5. As they travel toward St. Louis, Meriwether Lewis feels that
Short Essay Questions
1. Was it justifiable for Lewis to turn his publishing project into such a huge and complex undertaking?
2. Why was Lewis desperate to get some Indians to Washington?
3. Describe Lewis' grand scheme for American fur trading.
4. Explain Lewis' maneuvering when he arrived in St. Louis, with respect to communicating about the expedition.
5. What may Lewis have been talking about when Mrs. Grinder heard him taking to himself like a lawyer?
6. Why was General Clark upset with his loyal slave, York?
7. What were two of the worst problems for the expedition at Clatsop? Explain
8. What is it that begins to finally destroy Lewis financially?
9. Why were the two chiefs, Twisted Hair and Cut Nose, angry at one another and how was it resolved?
10. How do you think Lewis viewed his responsibility toward the governorship of the Louisiana Territory?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)