|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Clark was appointed as brigadier general of militia, as well as
(a) Foreign diplomat
(b) Superintendent of Indian affairs
(c) Head of the War Department
(d) Department head of Bureau of Indian Affairs
2. Lewis had trouble adjusting to his new role in which he
(a) Was expected to communicate
(b) Had only a few assistants
(c) Had full authority
(d) Had to answer for his actions
3. As they travel toward St. Louis, Meriwether Lewis feels that
(a) He might never walk again
(b) His diplomatic work with the tribes has worked
(c) His entire Indian policy has fallen apart
(d) He would rather stay in Yellowstone
4. Cut Nose planned to send two guides to the expedition to help them get to
(a) The falls of the Missouri
(b) The plains at the foot of the Bitterroots
(c) The pass through the Rockies
(d) The end of the Columbia
5. Lewis and his small group travel to the headwaters of the Marias in order to
(a) Find out if the Missouri River drains into Louisiana Purchase territory
(b) Locate the stash of supplies they left earlier
(c) Fish for trout
(d) Find out if there is any end to the Missouri River before Canada
Short Answer Questions
1. Under Bates' watch, the St. Louis area was having many struggles over
2. Thomas Jefferson appointed Meriwether Lewis
3. Lewis seriously wanted to avoid
4. Lewis caught an illness from
5. While Lewis worked on his drawings and descriptions of plants and animals, Clark worked on
Short Essay Questions
1. As governor of the Louisiana Territory, Lewis was in over his head. How did Lewis fail in his job as governor?
2. Did Lewis' celebrity go to his head?
3. Can we ascribe any meaning to soldiers giving Captain Clark presents for Christmas, and no mention of presents for Lewis?
4. What were two of the worst problems for the expedition at Clatsop? Explain
5. Describe the relationship between the Corps of Discovery and the Nez Perce.
6. Why was General Clark upset with his loyal slave, York?
7. The author speculates, in addition to other possibilities, that Lewis had a combination of malaria, manic-depression psychosis, alcoholism or some other physical ailments. Discuss what may have sent Lewis into depression at this point in his life.
8. Describe Lewis' desperate act in the spring of 1806.
9. Describe Lewis' grand scheme for American fur trading.
10. Does it seem odd that the Captains and their soldiers had no idea of how they would be rewarded by the government prior to their return from the expedition?
This section contains 1,368 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)