|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lewis had trouble adjusting to his new role in which he
(a) Had to answer for his actions
(b) Had full authority
(c) Had only a few assistants
(d) Was expected to communicate
2. Thomas Jefferson appointed Meriwether Lewis
(a) Secretary of the Interior
(b) Secretary of State
(c) As governor of the Lousiana Territory
(d) Speaker of the House
3. Clark was appointed as brigadier general of militia, as well as
(a) Foreign diplomat
(b) Head of the War Department
(c) Superintendent of Indian affairs
(d) Department head of Bureau of Indian Affairs
4. Lewis idealistically thought that the Indians and white Americans would come together through
5. The Americans astonished the Indians by
(a) Walking along the river on cliffs
(b) Shooting their rifles into the air
(c) Swimming the deep rapids
(d) Navigating Class V rapids in canoes
Short Answer Questions
1. While Lewis worked on his drawings and descriptions of plants and animals, Clark worked on
2. Lewis' underlying goal at this point is for America to
3. Although successful in his public life, Lewis failed to
4. Complicating Lewis' depression, perhaps, was
5. During his dazed journey, Lewis several times, thought
Short Essay Questions
1. It seems that Lewis has had a major lapse in judgment in many respects and his behavior has become erratic. What major political mistake did he make when arranging to send Big White back to the Mandans?
2. In what way was Lewis being overly confident when crossing the Lolo trail?
3. Can we ascribe any meaning to soldiers giving Captain Clark presents for Christmas, and no mention of presents for Lewis?
4. Does it seem odd that the Captains and their soldiers had no idea of how they would be rewarded by the government prior to their return from the expedition?
5. What mistake did Lewis make with the Blackfoot Indians with whom he was trying to make a deal?
6. Was it justifiable for Lewis to turn his publishing project into such a huge and complex undertaking?
7. Why was Lewis desperate to get some Indians to Washington?
8. Describe the difference between the more northern Walla Walla Indians and the coastal Chinookian tribes, as Lewis perceived it.
9. Describe Lewis' desperate act in the spring of 1806.
10. What were two of the worst problems for the expedition at Clatsop? Explain
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)