|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Opening the cache let in 1805, Lewis found that
(a) The food was missing
(b) The plant specimens were ruined
(c) His maps and instruments were gone
(d) His written documents were wet
2. Realizing they had to have a guide through the mountains, the party
(a) Hired a Blackfoot boy
(b) Turned north looking for Nez Perce
(c) Waited for Cut Nose's guides
(d) Turned back and waited
3. Drouillard was acquitted of murder because
(a) The deserter threatened him first
(b) He was held in high esteem in St. Louis
(c) His boss ordered him to do it
(d) The deserter he killed was deemed a threat to the party
4. Lewis described the Siouxs' ruling passion as
(a) The buffalo hunt
(b) The love of trade
(c) The urge to battle
(d) The love of gain
5. During the winter of 1807-1808, for eight months Meriwether Lewis
(a) Was incognito
(b) Was busy and productive
(c) Was writing in his journals
(d) Was living in the country
Short Answer Questions
1. Although successful in his public life, Lewis failed to
2. Upon escaping a violent situation with Blackfoot warriors, Lewis burned
3. Meriwether Lewis may have misused public funds by
4. Lewis sent a long letter to Hugh Heney that he hoped would
5. Having an Indian woman with their party signified
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lewis' desperate act in the spring of 1806.
2. Why was General Clark upset with his loyal slave, York?
3. Can we ascribe any meaning to soldiers giving Captain Clark presents for Christmas, and no mention of presents for Lewis?
4. What were two of the worst problems for the expedition at Clatsop? Explain
5. In what way was Lewis being overly confident when crossing the Lolo trail?
6. Why was Lewis desperate to get some Indians to Washington?
7. What may Lewis have been talking about when Mrs. Grinder heard him taking to himself like a lawyer?
8. Why were the two chiefs, Twisted Hair and Cut Nose, angry at one another and how was it resolved?
9. As governor of the Louisiana Territory, Lewis was in over his head. How did Lewis fail in his job as governor?
10. What were some of the changes the expedition experienced as they came nearer to the coast?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)