|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The primary industry in St. Louis is associated with
(a) The production of wheat
(b) Boating goods up the Missouri
(c) Production of trinkets for Indian trade
(d) Manufacture of weapons
2. During the winter of 1807-1808, for eight months Meriwether Lewis
(a) Was busy and productive
(b) Was incognito
(c) Was writing in his journals
(d) Was living in the country
3. The government refused to pay Lewis' drafts for the return of Big White, ostensibly because
(a) Lewis had not consulted them or gotten prior approval
(b) Lewis was too confident for his own good
(c) The government could no longer afford his services
(d) Lewis had stolen govenrment money
4. Lewis and his small group travel to the headwaters of the Marias in order to
(a) Fish for trout
(b) Locate the stash of supplies they left earlier
(c) Find out if there is any end to the Missouri River before Canada
(d) Find out if the Missouri River drains into Louisiana Purchase territory
5. Under Bates' watch, the St. Louis area was having many struggles over
(b) Voting disputes
(d) Land titles
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis found it difficult, at the end, to
2. Meriwether Lewis may have misused public funds by
3. Clark was appointed as brigadier general of militia, as well as
4. Jefferson's huge expenditures on the expedition were, to him,
5. Lewis had trouble adjusting to his new role in which he
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Lewis' maneuvering when he arrived in St. Louis, with respect to communicating about the expedition.
2. Why did the Captains make the dangerous decision to divide the men into five groups?
3. Was it justifiable for Lewis to turn his publishing project into such a huge and complex undertaking?
4. How do you think Lewis viewed his responsibility toward the governorship of the Louisiana Territory?
5. What mistake did Lewis make with the Blackfoot Indians with whom he was trying to make a deal?
6. Describe the relationship between the Corps of Discovery and the Nez Perce.
7. Why was Lewis desperate to get some Indians to Washington?
8. How did Sacagawea lose her blue beads?
9. Does it seem odd that the Captains and their soldiers had no idea of how they would be rewarded by the government prior to their return from the expedition?
10. What is it that begins to finally destroy Lewis financially?
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)