|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of Lewis' most prized possessions was his
(a) Quinine remedy
(b) Air rifle
(c) Collection of horses
(d) Dry soup mix
2. Lewis and Clark wanted Indian chiefs to go to Washington so they could
(a) See how wealthy white men lived in the states
(b) Display themselves to Congress
(c) Meet their new father
(d) Express their displeasure with the white man
3. In the Spring at Fort Mandan, Lewis felt that the expedition was really
(a) Coming to an end
(b) A pipe dream
(c) Halfway finished
(d) Just beginning
4. Lewis named many of the new rivers he found after
(a) Clark's family members
(b) Women he had known
(c) Government officials and politicians
(d) Jefferson's ancestors
5. Shannon stayed lost for so long because he thought
(a) He had been abandoned
(b) The group would make better time
(c) The captain was expecting him to scout ahead
(d) He was chasing the keelboat
Short Answer Questions
1. Andre Michaux was selected to lead an expedition west until Jefferson discovered that
2. After the hungry men gorged themselves on dried fish and roots,
3. Meriwether Lewis and Thomas Jefferson's families have this in common.
4. Old Toby told Lewis that the party could have traveled down a low pass, which would have
5. Meriwether Lewis named Marias River after
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Lewis' realization when he was threatened by buffalo bulls, a bear and wolverines.
2. Discuss the large keelboat and its journey back to St. Louis.
3. What was the primary reason for wanting to find the Shoshones at this point in the trip?
4. Discuss the punishment meted out to the two soldiers who drank whiskey while on guard duty. Was it fair?
5. Why did Jefferson appoint Lewis as his personal secretary?
6. Describe the irony in Lewis' attitude toward Native Americans and African Americans.
7. Given that he was an educated man, how can we account for Lewis' lack of spelling ability?
8. What is Lewis' goal in trying to make peace between the Arikaras and the Mandans? Why does he involve himself in their dispute?
9. Did Jefferson see something special in Meriwether Lewis?
10. What happened to Lewis' beloved iron-frame boat?
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)