Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Winter at Fort Mandan was
(a) Extremely cold
(b) Pleasant and comfrtable
(c) Fairly mild
(d) Raucous and merry
2. Prior to the beginning of the journey, Jefferson issues to Lewis
(a) An unprecedented letter of credit
(b) A medal for courage and valor
(c) A warning to spend judiciously
(d) Marching orders for the expedition
3. Neither Captain took Sacagawea along to meet the Indians
(a) Because she was only good for negotiating
(b) Because she needed to stay with her child
(c) For unknown reasons
(d) Because they were concerned about her health
4. Lewis spoke to the Shoshone chief through
(a) A young warrior
(b) Captain Clark
(c) One of his French officers
(d) An elderly woman
5. Although he is formally educated, Meriwether Lewis returns to Virginia
(a) To coordinate the education of his sister
(b) To manage the family plantation
(c) To care for his ailing mother
(d) At the behest of Thomas Jefferson
Short Answer Questions
1. The men in the expedition were bound by the knowledge
2. The two captains try to decide among two large river forks, which is the true
3. In the Spring at Fort Mandan, Lewis felt that the expedition was really
4. As Jefferson's protege, Lewis had the honor of
5. Lewis was under the assumption that the Shoshones would want to trade horses for
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Lewis' maneuvering when he arrived in St. Louis, with respect to communicating about the expedition.
2. What caused the expedition's "portage" period to be longer than expected?
3. Discuss Meriwether Lewis' response to the fact that some of his soldiers were planning to publish their own journals of the expedition.
4. What is it that begins to finally destroy Lewis financially?
5. Why did it take so long for Lewis' keelboat to be built?
6. What were two of the worst problems for the expedition at Clatsop? Explain
7. It seems that Lewis has had a major lapse in judgment in many respects and his behavior has become erratic. What major political mistake did he make when arranging to send Big White back to the Mandans?
8. In what way was Lewis being overly confident when crossing the Lolo trail?
9. Why was Lewis angry with Drouillard and Shields after seeing a young Indian?
10. Why was Lewis desperate to get some Indians to Washington?
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)