|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Even as a private, Lewis is accepted among military officers because
(a) He comes from a wealthy family
(b) He is a great horseman
(c) He is extremely capable
(d) He is educated
2. The Shoshones were intimidated by other tribes because they
(a) Lived in an area of sparse game
(b) Had been ravaged by the Blackfeet
(c) Had no guns
(d) Were too weak with hunger to fight
3. Lewis and Clark's meeting with Daniel Boone is a matter of
(a) Recorded history
(b) Speculation only
(c) Factual reports
(d) Indians' assumption
4. Lewis tells Jefferson that the Snake Indians have large quantities of
5. Merriwether Lewis and Captain William Clark are
(a) Acquainted but not familiar
(b) Distant rivals
(c) Very close friends
(d) Related by marriage
Short Answer Questions
1. Old Toby told Lewis that the party could have traveled down a low pass, which would have
2. Of the 5.5 million people in America during Jefferson's time,
3. Clark's attitude toward hostile Indian tribes was
4. Once they were on the Mississippi, Lewis and Clark decided to
5. Clark noted that he was concerned that the expedition had insufficient
Short Essay Questions
1. What may have convinced Lewis and Clark that they needed to double their crew?
2. Is it obvious why Clark's commission stayed that of lieutenant and not captain? How did that affect the two leaders?
3. It seems that Lewis has had a major lapse in judgment in many respects and his behavior has become erratic. What major political mistake did he make when arranging to send Big White back to the Mandans?
4. What is Lewis' goal in trying to make peace between the Arikaras and the Mandans? Why does he involve himself in their dispute?
5. Describe the relationship between the Corps of Discovery and the Nez Perce.
6. How do you think Lewis viewed his responsibility toward the governorship of the Louisiana Territory?
7. Why did the Captains make the dangerous decision to divide the men into five groups?
8. Describe the difference between the more northern Walla Walla Indians and the coastal Chinookian tribes, as Lewis perceived it.
9. How did the expedition manage to drag its boats over land?
10. What was ironic about the government's response to the Whiskey Rebellion of 1794?
This section contains 1,298 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)