|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lewis thought that buffalo hair might produce
(a) Packing material
(b) Good stuffing for pillows
(c) A fine wool
(d) Soft baby blankets
2. Although he is formally educated, Meriwether Lewis returns to Virginia
(a) To coordinate the education of his sister
(b) To manage the family plantation
(c) To care for his ailing mother
(d) At the behest of Thomas Jefferson
3. Old Toby told Lewis that the party could have traveled down a low pass, which would have
(a) Brought them right to the Columbia
(b) Been the best place for hunting buffalo
(c) Saved them seven weeks of travel
(d) Been a great place to spend the winter
4. Lewis feels that Native Americans will become civilized citizens, but
(a) Wishes they would first learn how to dress
(b) Hopes he will not become involved in it
(c) Does not believe African Americans will
(d) Thinks it will take many centuries
5. Lewis' attitude toward gold during this expedition was one of
(b) Excessive greed
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to his detailed descriptions of the plains, Lewis' reports resembled a
2. Andre Michaux was selected to lead an expedition west until Jefferson discovered that
3. The Arikaras' island is covered with
4. Meriwether Lewis and Thomas Jefferson's families have this in common.
5. To follow the large keelboats up the river, the expedition made use of
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lewis' plan at this point for the remainder of the trip?
2. Of what, exactly, was the "great father" trying to convince the Indians, under Jefferson's instructions?
3. Is it obvious why Clark's commission stayed that of lieutenant and not captain? How did that affect the two leaders?
4. What in Lewis' childhood may have contributed to his later accomplishments?
5. Why was Lewis angry with Drouillard and Shields after seeing a young Indian?
6. Why did Jefferson appoint Lewis as his personal secretary?
7. Why was Jefferson so interested in exploring the West?
8. Did Jefferson see something special in Meriwether Lewis?
9. What was the primary reason for wanting to find the Shoshones at this point in the trip?
10. Why was it fortuitous that the group encountered the Nez Perce Indians?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)