|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. France, having transferred the Louisiana Territory to the US, allows the expedition to
(a) Include foreigners in the group of explorers
(b) Travel through American territory wihout hostility
(c) Purchase guns from the French
(d) Freely trap for fur along the way
2. In addition to the enlisted men, the group included York, who was
(a) William Clark's long-time slave
(b) A cartographer and explorer
(c) An expert hunter and trapper
(d) An expert in firearms
3. Meriwether Lewis, on the journey down the Ohio, contracts
(a) Influenza from bad water
(b) Malaria from mosquitoes
(c) Dysentary from spoiled food
(d) Bilious fever from damp nights
4. Of the 5.5 million people in America during Jefferson's time,
(a) Slaves were the dominant population
(b) Approximately one million were slaves
(c) Only one thousan were slaves
(d) Slaves form the dominant group in the west
5. Many outlying Mandan villages are abandoned due to
(a) War among tribes
(c) Seasonal hunting
(d) Inclement weather
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis travels extensively through the western frontiers in his position as
2. As Lewis and his small scouting party ascended the north river bank, they were plagued by
3. Meriwether Lewis named Marias River after
4. Among his peers, Lewis is considered
5. Jefferson's interest in sending an expedition westward was to find
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Lewis angry with Drouillard and Shields after seeing a young Indian?
2. In what area does the author feel Lewis' greatest talents had lain?
3. What was Lewis' biggest failure?
4. Why is Sacagawea's presence valuable to the expedition?
5. Can we ascribe any meaning to soldiers giving Captain Clark presents for Christmas, and no mention of presents for Lewis?
6. What happened to Lewis' beloved iron-frame boat?
7. Discuss Lewis' varied capabilities that made him the perfect leader for this journey.
8. Why were the Captains' gifts considered insufficient by the Teton Sioux Indians?
9. Describe Lewis' grand scheme for American fur trading.
10. What is Lewis' plan at this point for the remainder of the trip?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)