|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In preparation for the expedition, Lewis oversees the construction of
(a) A large, iron, collapsible boat
(b) A large, waterproof teepee for the troops
(c) Artifacts for trading with Native Americans
(d) Wagons to carry supplies overland
2. As Jefferson's protege, Lewis had the honor of
(a) Being recognized as Jefferson's servant
(b) Delivering Jefferson's first State of the Union Address
(c) Coordinating Jefferson's social engagements
(d) Appointing Jefferson's cabinet members
3. Proceeding downstream on wet clay, the party found the ground to be extremely
4. Black Buffalo was a chief of the
5. Lewis realized that he was facing sixteen miles of portage, meaning
(a) They would be coming into a local port soon
(b) They would have to carry their boats overland
(c) They would have an easy ride down the rapids
(d) They would be climbing miles of cliffs
Short Answer Questions
1. Once they were on the Mississippi, Lewis and Clark decided to
2. In addition to the enlisted men, the group included York, who was
3. The Shoshones were intimidated by other tribes because they
4. The difference between a canoe and a pirogue is that
5. Meriwether Lewis has a penchant for
Short Essay Questions
1. Is it obvious why Clark's commission stayed that of lieutenant and not captain? How did that affect the two leaders?
2. How did the expedition manage to drag its boats over land?
3. What caused the expedition's "portage" period to be longer than expected?
4. Did Jefferson see something special in Meriwether Lewis?
5. What was ironic about the government's response to the Whiskey Rebellion of 1794?
6. Explain Lewis' realization when he was threatened by buffalo bulls, a bear and wolverines.
7. What happened to Lewis' beloved iron-frame boat?
8. Discuss the large keelboat and its journey back to St. Louis.
9. Was Sacagawea treated with the respect she was due?
10. Why were the Captains' gifts considered insufficient by the Teton Sioux Indians?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)