|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Among his peers, Lewis is considered
(a) Slightly effeminate
(b) A bigot
(c) A bit shady
(d) Honest and trustworthy
2. Lewis travels extensively through the western frontiers in his position as
(b) Army corporal
(c) Military transporter
(d) Stagecoach driver
3. At Clark's River, or Bitterroot River, the expedition met with
(a) Shoshone squaws
(b) Ross Indians
(c) Modoc Indians
(d) Samish Indians
4. Twisted Hair was a
(b) Dishonest person
(c) Nez Perce chief
(d) Greedy man
5. Captain Clark's commission named him only as a
Short Answer Questions
1. As Lewis and his small scouting party ascended the north river bank, they were plagued by
2. Because Lewis' iron-frame boat failed, Clark directed the men to
3. Lewis tells Jefferson that the Snake Indians have large quantities of
4. Clark noted that he was concerned that the expedition had insufficient
5. Lewis and Clark's meeting with Daniel Boone is a matter of
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Jefferson so interested in exploring the West?
2. Describe the irony in Lewis' attitude toward Native Americans and African Americans.
3. Did Jefferson see something special in Meriwether Lewis?
4. Why was Lewis angry with Drouillard and Shields after seeing a young Indian?
5. Discuss the punishment meted out to the two soldiers who drank whiskey while on guard duty. Was it fair?
6. Explain Lewis' realization when he was threatened by buffalo bulls, a bear and wolverines.
7. Why were the Captains' gifts considered insufficient by the Teton Sioux Indians?
8. What may have convinced Lewis and Clark that they needed to double their crew?
9. Was Sacagawea treated with the respect she was due?
10. Why is Sacagawea's presence valuable to the expedition?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)