|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lewis hoped that the Indians would accept
(a) The ravaging of their lands
(b) The concept of trading their furs for beads
(c) The idea of sharing the buffalo
(d) American sovereignty
2. Many outlying Mandan villages are abandoned due to
(a) Seasonal hunting
(c) War among tribes
(d) Inclement weather
3. Lewis and Clark's meeting with Daniel Boone is a matter of
(a) Speculation only
(b) Indians' assumption
(c) Factual reports
(d) Recorded history
4. Lewis travels extensively through the western frontiers in his position as
(a) Army corporal
(c) Stagecoach driver
(d) Military transporter
5. Twisted Hair was a
(a) Greedy man
(c) Nez Perce chief
(d) Dishonest person
Short Answer Questions
1. As Jefferson's protege, Lewis had the honor of
2. Meriwether Lewis has a penchant for
3. Lewis realized that he was facing sixteen miles of portage, meaning
4. Mriwether Lewis gathered his specimens by
5. Lewis planned ahead for meetings with Native Americans by bringing
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lewis' goal in trying to make peace between the Arikaras and the Mandans? Why does he involve himself in their dispute?
2. Of what, exactly, was the "great father" trying to convince the Indians, under Jefferson's instructions?
3. Why were the Captains' gifts considered insufficient by the Teton Sioux Indians?
4. Why was Jefferson so interested in exploring the West?
5. Given that he was an educated man, how can we account for Lewis' lack of spelling ability?
6. Discuss the perception of the speed of travel in Jefferson's time in 1801.
7. Is it obvious why Clark's commission stayed that of lieutenant and not captain? How did that affect the two leaders?
8. Why did Jefferson appoint Lewis as his personal secretary?
9. Was Sacagawea treated with the respect she was due?
10. Why was it fortuitous that the group encountered the Nez Perce Indians?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)