|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To follow the large keelboats up the river, the expedition made use of
(a) Inflatable vests
2. Lewis' attitude toward gold during this expedition was one of
(b) Excessive greed
3. Lewis' men made wheels to drag their pirogues out of
(a) Rounded rocks
(b) Bark and mud
(c) Oak trees
(d) Cottonwood trees
4. Lewis planned ahead for meetings with Native Americans by bringing
(a) Silk jackets
(b) Bales of gifts
(c) Wool blankets
(d) Meat and vegetables
5. When Sacagawea recalls the place where she was kidnapped by the Hidatsas, she
(a) Becomes protective of her child
(b) Breaks down and cries
(c) Shows no emotion
(d) Becomes withdrawn
Short Answer Questions
1. Although he is formally educated, Meriwether Lewis returns to Virginia
2. Prior to the beginning of the journey, Jefferson issues to Lewis
3. The Shoshones were intimidated by other tribes because they
4. The Arikaras' island is covered with
5. Merriwether Lewis and Captain William Clark are
Short Essay Questions
1. What was ironic about the government's response to the Whiskey Rebellion of 1794?
2. Why did it take so long for Lewis' keelboat to be built?
3. Why was progress down the Ohio River so abominably slow?
4. Is it obvious why Clark's commission stayed that of lieutenant and not captain? How did that affect the two leaders?
5. Given that he was an educated man, how can we account for Lewis' lack of spelling ability?
6. Describe the irony in Lewis' attitude toward Native Americans and African Americans.
7. What is Lewis' plan at this point for the remainder of the trip?
8. Explain Lewis' realization when he was threatened by buffalo bulls, a bear and wolverines.
9. Was Sacagawea treated with the respect she was due?
10. Discuss the punishment meted out to the two soldiers who drank whiskey while on guard duty. Was it fair?
This section contains 1,266 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)