|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to his detailed descriptions of the plains, Lewis' reports resembled a
(a) Chronological fiction
(b) Legal opinion
(c) Promotional travelogue and business prospectus
(d) Newspaper account of an ongoing event
2. Jefferson undertook the preparation of
(a) Food packaging for the expedition
(b) Many different types of maps to guide the explorers
(c) A large list of "useful knowledge" to be gathered by Lewis
(d) Boats and clothing to be used by the explorers
3. Lewis' men made wheels to drag their pirogues out of
(a) Bark and mud
(b) Cottonwood trees
(c) Oak trees
(d) Rounded rocks
4. After the hungry men gorged themselves on dried fish and roots,
(a) They reverted to horse meat
(b) Their strength was regained
(c) They put off traveling for another week
(d) They became violently ill
5. Lewis and Clark wanted Indian chiefs to go to Washington so they could
(a) Meet their new father
(b) See how wealthy white men lived in the states
(c) Express their displeasure with the white man
(d) Display themselves to Congress
Short Answer Questions
1. Mriwether Lewis gathered his specimens by
2. Captain Clark's commission named him only as a
3. The most serious delay in starting the expedition was due to
4. Of the 5.5 million people in America during Jefferson's time,
5. Once they were on the Mississippi, Lewis and Clark decided to
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the expedition manage to drag its boats over land?
2. Discuss Lewis' mental meanderings on his 32nd birthday.
3. Why is Sacagawea's presence valuable to the expedition?
4. Why were the Captains' gifts considered insufficient by the Teton Sioux Indians?
5. What in Lewis' childhood may have contributed to his later accomplishments?
6. Discuss the large keelboat and its journey back to St. Louis.
7. Explain Lewis' realization when he was threatened by buffalo bulls, a bear and wolverines.
8. What caused the expedition's "portage" period to be longer than expected?
9. Why was Lewis angry with Drouillard and Shields after seeing a young Indian?
10. Why did Jefferson appoint Lewis as his personal secretary?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)