|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Merriwether Lewis and Captain William Clark are
(a) Very close friends
(b) Distant rivals
(c) Acquainted but not familiar
(d) Related by marriage
2. Winter at Fort Mandan was
(a) Extremely cold
(b) Fairly mild
(c) Raucous and merry
(d) Pleasant and comfrtable
3. One of the unique "new" creatures found by Clark is the
(c) Domestic cat
(d) Prairie dog
4. The Captains inadvertently caused trouble by giving the three Indian chiefs
5. Lewis felt that meeting the Snake Indians could determine
(a) The success of the expedition
(b) Whether they could learn to grow corn
(c) How much meat they could store
(d) Whether they would live or die
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis tells Jefferson that the Snake Indians have large quantities of
2. Lewis realized that he was facing sixteen miles of portage, meaning
3. Shannon stayed lost for so long because he thought
4. When Sacagawea became ill, Lewis treated her with
5. Because Lewis' iron-frame boat failed, Clark directed the men to
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sacagawea's presence valuable to the expedition?
2. Why was progress down the Ohio River so abominably slow?
3. What was ironic about the government's response to the Whiskey Rebellion of 1794?
4. Why was it fortuitous that the group encountered the Nez Perce Indians?
5. What was the primary reason for wanting to find the Shoshones at this point in the trip?
6. Why were the Captains' gifts considered insufficient by the Teton Sioux Indians?
7. Why did the Shoshones hesitate to go with Lewis to meet Clark and help the expedition over the Lemhi River?
8. Of what, exactly, was the "great father" trying to convince the Indians, under Jefferson's instructions?
9. Why was Jefferson so interested in exploring the West?
10. What is Lewis' goal in trying to make peace between the Arikaras and the Mandans? Why does he involve himself in their dispute?
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)