Chapter 1 Youth 1774 - 1792 | Chapter 2 Planter 1792 - 1794
* Lewis is born in 1774 in Virginia to a plantation family of military accomplishment.
* A significant friend of his family is Thomas Jefferson, an owner of a nearby plantation.
* Lewis grows up an active and inquisitive boy, who gets a formal education.
* At nineteen, Lewis takes over management of the family plantation.
* A successful farmer, Lewis continues to increase the size of his family's land holdings.
* Lewis esteems the noble savage Indians, but has no moral quandary about slavery.
Chapter 3 Soldier 1794 - 1800 | Chapter 4 Thomas Jefferson's America 1801
* Lewis enlists as a private in the army during the Whiskey Rebellion in 1794.
* Lewis is accepted into the social circles of high-ranking officers due to his wealth and status.
* As Army paymaster, Lewis travels extensively on the western borders of the new frontier under William Clark.
* Lewis ascribes to Republican politics as opposed to Federal politics of...
This section contains 2,558 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)