|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was transferred to Omori in Chapter 27?
2. What was Louis given to read in Chapter 26 when he went back to the radio station?
3. Why was Louis outside of the camp in Chapter 25?
4. When was Hiroshima bombed?
5. What sentence was Jimmie Sasaki given?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan did prisoners hatch in Chapter 20?
2. Who often returned to the camp in Chapter 22?
3. What happened after the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in Chapter 31?
4. Who was Mutsuhiro Watanabe according to Chapter 23?
5. What did the prisoners of war learn in May,1945, according to Chapter 29?
6. Who appeared alive in Chapter 37?
7. How did life change when Louis decided competing again was impossible according to Chapter 35?
8. What did the Japanese police do in Chapter 36?
9. Where were some of the prisoners sent in Chapter 27?
10. How did Watanabe change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of spies in the book and discuss what role Sasaki had and why he was suspected of spying.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether the United States needed to drop the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in order to end World War II.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of propaganda during World War II and discuss why it may have been important to gather influential/well-known POWs for the propaganda.
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)