|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many POWs had wet beriberi according to Chapter 35?
2. How high was the pile of wood made from the camp's fence?
3. Where did the Bird make the men stand to strike each other's faces?
4. What was the Naoetsu camp?
5. Approximately how many punches did each man take?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were some of the guards fearful?
2. Why was Louis put on half rations in Chapter 28?
3. Who appeared alive in Chapter 37?
4. What happened after the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in Chapter 31?
5. What was found on a mountainside?
6. What did a few prisoners plan in 1944 in Chapter 22?
7. How did Watanabe change?
8. Why was Louis in high demand?
9. How did life change when Louis decided competing again was impossible according to Chapter 35?
10. What did the Japanese police do in Chapter 36?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two men described in the book and compare their lives before and after their time as prisoners of war.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of propaganda during World War II and discuss why it may have been important to gather influential/well-known POWs for the propaganda.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether the United States needed to drop the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in order to end World War II.
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)