|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were the 1940's Olympics supposed to take place?
2. What engines failed on Louis Zamperini 's plane?
3. When did Louis and Phil see an island?
4. What university was Jimmie Sasaki attending?
5. What did Louis Zamperini's brother tell the principal that Louis needed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the preface of "Unbroken" begin?
2. What were "The Stinking Six" according to Chapter 10?
3. What did Phil and Louis reason about in Chapter 17?
4. What was Phil directed to take in Chapter 11?
5. What call came just before Christmas of 1942 according to Chapter 7?
6. Who was Russell Phillips?
7. What did Louis sign an agreement to do?
8. What was Louis overwhelmed by in Chapter 4?
9. Whom was Louis surprised to see at Ofuna?
10. What could the men not stomach in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of resilience in the book "Unbroken" and use examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether the United States needed to drop the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in order to end World War II.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what methods Hillenbrand may have used to write the book "Unbroken" and why she relied on research and witness accounts for her writing.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)