|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Jack Fisher?
(a) Iris's father.
(b) Ruth's father.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Margarethe's first husband.
2. What does Clara suspect Ruth of doing to Margarethe's linen?
(a) Selling it for something cheaper and pocketing the money.
(b) Washing it more than necessary to make sure it's especially clean.
(c) Not washing it at all but claiming she did.
(d) Putting red pepper on it to make her eyes worse.
3. Who took over the Master's studio when he passed away?
(c) The Queen of the Hairy-Chinned Gypsies.
4. What does Margarethe do to continually manipulate van Stolk and van Antum?
(a) She flirts with them herself, since she knows they have crushes on her.
(b) She taunts them with glances and promises of Clara.
(c) She pretends she is wealthier than she is.
(d) She preys on their kindness by always asking for mercy -- and money.
5. What do people spy Philippe doing to Clara when they are in a private room?
(a) Caressing her ankle with her shoe off.
(b) Playing with her hair.
(c) Kissing her neck.
(d) Asking for her hand in marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ends up happening to the tulip trade in the novel?
2. What does Clara say she'd rather do than marry van Stolk?
3. Who does Iris and Ruth's hair for the ball?
4. Why does Clara decline at first to dance with the prince?
5. How many grandchildren does Ruth end up having?
Short Essay Questions
1. During their argument at the ball, how do Iris and the Master call a truce during their argument?
2. In the Epilogue, what does Ruth say about the paintings of Iris's that she admires?
3. What memory does Ruth say burdened Iris her entire life?
4. As they are about to depart for the ball, how does Iris react when Clara promises not to take Caspar from her?
5. As the Epilogue concludes, what kind of painting does Ruth say should be painted of Clara's children?
6. What reason does Ruth give for why she often appears inconsequential and stupid in the retelling of the story?
7. What does Margarethe suspect is so wrong with the prince that his aunt, the queen, has to set something like the ball up to help him find a wife?
8. What happens in the dream Iris has the night of the ball?
9. In the Epilogue, what reason does Ruth give for burning the painting?
10. What does Ruth have to say about beauty in the Epilogue?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)