|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who unexpectedly arrives at the van den Meers' home the morning after the ball?
(b) None of these answers is correct.
(c) Caspar and Philippe.
2. Before heading to the ball, what do Iris and Clara agree about Caspar?
(a) That Clara will not try to take him from Iris.
(b) That he is in love with Clara and they should get married.
(c) That he is, in reality, a horrible painter despite all of his experience.
(d) That he really is a jerk.
3. What does Clara say she'd rather do than marry van Stolk?
(a) Become a nun.
(b) Run away to another town.
(c) Remain a housemaid.
(d) Kill herself.
4. According to the Master, what is the reason behind Margarethe's lie about his relationship with Caspar?
(a) She was blackmailing him for money for food.
(b) She always was in love with the Master.
(c) She always was in love with Caspar.
(d) Margarethe wanted Iris to marry someone better.
5. What kind of head piece will Clara wear to the ball to disguise herself?
(a) A Spanish veil.
(b) A mask.
(c) A hooded cloak.
(d) She is not going to disguise herself at all at the ball.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clara end up dying?
2. Who warns Clara when van Stolk enters the ball?
3. Why does Clara decline at first to dance with the prince?
4. What does Iris wonder about the night her family fled without their father?
5. How is Clarissa of Aragaon's arrival met by the crowd?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Margarethe in such shock when Ruth speaks the word "Ashgirl" when referring to Clara?
2. What memory does Ruth say burdened Iris her entire life?
3. Who is Caspar referring to when he initially tells Iris that she hopes she will not marry "the wrong man"?
4. As the Epilogue concludes, what kind of painting does Ruth say should be painted of Clara's children?
5. What key piece of information did Iris not understand about Margarethe's continued reference to the imp in their family?
6. What skill does Clara and Iris count on Caspar using when he goes in search of a dress for Iris for the big ball?
7. How does the reader know Cornelius is depressed after his business venture fails?
8. What message is the Master trying to convey when he asks, after showing Margarethe his paintings of hideous people, what she knows about charitable stories from the Bible?
9. What are two examples of juxtapositioned themes to her family's story that Ruth gives in the Epilogue?
10. How does Margarethe react when Iris catches her seemingly trying to burn Young Woman with Tulips at the ball?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)