|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the ball approaches, what part of the van den Meer house does Clara often refuse to leave?
(a) The tulip shed in the backyard.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) Her father's bedside.
(d) Her bedroom.
2. What ends up happening to the tulip trade in the novel?
(a) It becomes a national embarrassment.
(b) It skyrockets again, giving Ruth a lot of money.
(c) It never recovers.
(d) It is regulated and becomes more reliable.
3. Who ends up taking care of Ruth in her old age?
4. Who does Iris dance with first at the ball?
(c) Someone she doesn't know -- or like.
5. As the ball approaches and Clara becomes increasingly reclusive, what does Iris accuse her of becoming like?
(a) A domesticated animal.
(b) A priest.
(c) A nun.
(d) A house servant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clara decline at first to dance with the prince?
2. Who was Jack Fisher?
3. As they prepare for the ball, what does Margarethe demand Iris fill the house with?
4. What does the title of Chapter 4, "The Gallery of God's Mistakes," refer to?
5. What piece of furniture does the queen complain about while at the ball?
Short Essay Questions
1. While at the ball, what do Iris and the Master decide is more permanent than beauty?
2. During their dance at the ball, what does Iris worry about with regard to Caspar?
3. What reason does Ruth give for why she often appears inconsequential and stupid in the retelling of the story?
4. What does Iris worry will happen to Clara if they are forced to leave the beautiful van den Meer home?
5. What reasoning does Clara use in explaining to Iris why her beauty is actually a curse?
6. What exactly does Margarethe believe happens to her eyes after she has seen the Master's horrible paintings?
7. What kind of perspective can Ruth offer about what happens to her family?
8. Why is Margarethe in such shock when Ruth speaks the word "Ashgirl" when referring to Clara?
9. What key piece of information did Iris not understand about Margarethe's continued reference to the imp in their family?
10. How does the reader know Cornelius is depressed after his business venture fails?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)