|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Iris and Clara use as collateral in order to get Clara a gown?
(a) The last of their family fortune.
(b) Margarethe's fancy new shoes.
(c) Henrika's jewels.
(d) Money Ruth has been secretly hiding away.
2. What ended up happening to Cornelius's finances?
(a) They were completely dependent on Margarethe's management.
(b) They continued to get worse and worse.
(c) They never improved.
(d) They eventually recovered.
3. As the ball approaches and Margarethe is tight for money, why does she claim the Master owes her money?
(a) Because he never paid her enough when she was working for him.
(b) Because he has lots of money now and she has very little.
(c) Because she knows he has been secretly stealing from the Van den Meers.
(d) Because she and Iris helped him land the Young Girl with Tulips painting.
4. What does Margarethe do to continually manipulate van Stolk and van Antum?
(a) She taunts them with glances and promises of Clara.
(b) She flirts with them herself, since she knows they have crushes on her.
(c) She preys on their kindness by always asking for mercy -- and money.
(d) She pretends she is wealthier than she is.
5. Who does the Master tell Iris he views as responsible for bringing van den Meer to ruin?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Clara end up having?
2. Who does Iris dance with first at the ball?
3. What ends up happening to the tulip trade in the novel?
4. What color dress does Clara wear to the ball?
5. How do Margarethe, Ruth, and Iris plan on getting dresses for the ball?
Short Essay Questions
1. What skill does Clara and Iris count on Caspar using when he goes in search of a dress for Iris for the big ball?
2. What key piece of information did Iris not understand about Margarethe's continued reference to the imp in their family?
3. As the Epilogue concludes, what kind of painting does Ruth say should be painted of Clara's children?
4. What does Iris worry will happen to Clara if they are forced to leave the beautiful van den Meer home?
5. During their argument at the ball, how do Iris and the Master call a truce during their argument?
6. While at the ball, what do Iris and the Master decide is more permanent than beauty?
7. What reason does Ruth give for why she often appears inconsequential and stupid in the retelling of the story?
8. What happens in the dream Iris has the night of the ball?
9. In the Epilogue, what reason does Ruth give for burning the painting?
10. Who is Caspar referring to when he initially tells Iris that she hopes she will not marry "the wrong man"?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)