|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Colvin meet Deong?
2. What have the communists told the northern province villagers about the Americans?
3. How does she get to work?
4. What are Major Monet's men preparing to do?
5. Who is Bob Maile?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the report Finian makes to his supervisors after the months of being with his friends in Burma.
2. What is the difference between Upton's speech and the one given by Joe Bing?
3. Why is Homer Atkins' way so different from the way of the American and native governments?
4. Why do you think the northern province decided to turn against the communists and vote for an American-leaning Presidential candidate?
5. What is it about Hillandale that attracts Asians to him?
6. Why were the people reviewing the applications concerned about Homer Atkins?
7. Why do you thnk the Archbishop in charge of Finian was uncomfortable with Finian's plans?
8. What could Sears have done to handle this crisis in a better way?
9. Why would it be patriotic for someone to join the foreign service?
10. Why does the shrine the shrine to Emma have short reeds placed in front of t?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Father Finian in detail, beginning with his physical appearance, and then his ideals, goals, methods and thought processes. Was he an effective tool against communism in Burma? Why?
Essay Topic 2
List in detail the reasons why Louis Sears was: 1) an ineffective Ambassador, 2) an ineffective personnel manager, 3) a bad communicator, and 4) politically incorrect by today's standards.
Essay Topic 3
Explain in detail what you believe the authors meant when they said "We believe that a nuclear cataclysm is unlikely, but that our free life well may be lost in a succession of bits and fragments."
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)