|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many native communists does Sears claim to have met?
2. How did Sears cover his mistake about the mis-labeled rice?
3. Who is the first person Father Finian looks for after he has learned the language and learned to eat the food?
4. Why is the number 30 listed next the the name of Sarkhan by the Soviets?
5. How does she get to work every day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does his method work?
2. Is Asch's assessment of his team accurate? What did he miss?
3. Describe Louis Krupitzyn as he assumes his post in Sarkhan.
4. Describe the relationship between Deong and Colvin.
5. What is the difference between Upton's speech and the one given by Joe Bing?
6. Why is this rumor so damaging to America?
7. Why is Homer Atkins' way so different from the way of the American and native governments?
8. Is Sears telling Peterson there are no Communists in Sarkhan?
9. In your opinion, were the Nine Friends effective in their mission?
10. What were some of the factors that convinced the Sarkhanese that the rice did indeed come from the Soviet Union and not America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was Mao Tse-Tung's battlefield tactics so effective? How did studying these tactics turn out for Wolchek, Monet and MacWhite? How did it hurt them?
Essay Topic 2
Pretend you have just received an assignment from the State Department and you will be working in Laos for two years. What is your expectation today in the way of training and preparation from the State Department. How did will that differ from the training and preparation in the 1950s and 1960s, according to this book?
Essay Topic 3
Donald and Roger are revealed by Li Pang to be longtime undercover spies for the communists. What embassy attitudes assisted these men in accomplishing their goals? Why were they so successful in keeping their positions at the Embassy without being discovered?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)