|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Upton describe Joe Bing to the audience?
2. Why is Ruth Jyoti disappointed with the American newspapers?
3. What is the recruitment team's message to the audience regarding the necessity to learn foreign languages or deal with the natives of the country they are posted to?
4. What does Father Finian do when he arrives in Burma?
5. Why did the rumor persist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sears think he is doing everything himself?
2. Why was George Swift's actions so damaging?
3. What are the major differences in how Marie spends her evenings now that she is in Sarkhan
4. In what way is Ambassador Gray's plans diminishing the plans of Senator Brown?
5. Why would it be patriotic for someone to join the foreign service?
6. What is ironic about Senator Brown meeting Wolchek and Monet in Hanoi?
7. Why is Louis Sears called Lucky Lou by his associates?
8. How did the Cambodians and the French buy Henry Knox?
9. Why does MacWhite ask this man, whose proposals have been summarily rejected by the Vietnamese officials, to move to Sarkhan?
10. What impact do you believe Donald and Roger have had on America's standing in Southeast Asia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were MacWhite's acknowledged mistakes in Sarkhan? List them, and describe how he could have prevented them.
Essay Topic 2
Why do the American newspapers cited in the book so neglectful about reporting news from countries other than our own? What would be the advantage of American citizens learning about other cultures? What would this knowledge do to assist someone living in your town?
Essay Topic 3
Both Homer Atkins and Tom Knox propose small projects over large grandiose schemes. Why? Doesn't a country need roads and dams to make progress? What is more important to a villager in a third world country? List the basic needs that a person has on earth, i.e., food and shelter, and choose one. Write how the absence of that one basic need can change a person's outlook about what is important.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)