|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Kruptizyn more concerned about than the American Ambassador?
(a) Mrs. Kruptizyn
(b) Joe Bing
(c) Emma Watkins
(d) Father Finian
2. Where is Marie assigned when she is accepted into the foreign service?
3. How did Joe Bing treat Father Finian's request for ballpoint pens as rewards for distributing the newspapers?
(a) Joe Bing granted the request and hand wrapped the pens
(b) Joe Bing purchased the pens with his own money & gave them to Finian
(c) Joe Bing never received the request
(d) Joe Bing refused to grant the request
4. Who informs Lous Sears about John Colvin's injuries?
(a) Margaret Johnson, his assistant
(b) John Colvin
(d) Margaret Colvin
5. Who is Bob Maile?
(a) Belgian Ambassador to Sarkhan
(b) Reporter from the New York Times
(c) A member of the United States Information Service who is admired by the people of Southeast Asia
(d) Editor of the San Francisco newspaper
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Soviet embassies employ only Soviets for service personnel?
2. What does Colvin say when Sears says he will have him transferred back to the USA?
3. What does Hillandale do when he reaches the northern province?
4. What happens to Colvin in this chapter?
5. What does Father Finian do when he arrives in Burma?
Short Essay Questions
1. What could Sears have done to handle this crisis in a better way?
2. Why is the story that U Muang Swe tells about the Martins so important?
3. What were some of the factors that convinced the Sarkhanese that the rice did indeed come from the Soviet Union and not America?
4. Why was it a mistake for MacWhite not to pursue the recommendations he received regarding poultry farming in Sarkhan?
5. Why is Marie MacIntosh perfect for recruitment?
6. Why is this rumor so damaging to America?
7. Why does MacWhite ask this man, whose proposals have been summarily rejected by the Vietnamese officials, to move to Sarkhan?
8. What is inherently wrong with the approach the State Department is using to recruit new employees?
9. What impact do you believe Donald and Roger have had on America's standing in Southeast Asia?
10. Describe the relationship between Deong and Colvin.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)